Great Summary here!
It seems that the only points that have been addressed for sure is the TE issue an perhaps
having a 3rd WR
in Holt, Price or Tate. It seems we are another season away from getting what we need to really compete for a championship
|it's basically been said but |
1. lack of commitment to the running game, even though the talent at the position isn't great
2. inconstant o-line play, they wilted in blitz pickup and were miserable in run blocking/ short yardage
3. zero outside talent at the WR2 spot, teams double Moss, press Welker, and dare Sam Aiken to beat them...and surprise surprise, he didn't beat them.
4. Lack of TE presence, combination of not enough talent and not enough emphasis, though i'm inclined to stick to the former as the real cause
5. A defense that often put the offensive in bad positions, the Pats had to get into shootouts or kill the clock way too often
6. some pretty bland playcalling, but i'm not as down on O'brien as some here are, the overall talent level on offense simply wasn't all that great.
7. the noticeable decline in Moss's ability, whether it was back pain or age, he just wasn't the same guy for most of 09