Re: 2010 draft needs
posted at 10/22/2009 6:29 PM EDT
Okay I read most of the replies and I must say that I disagree with the needs of a TE, DT and linebackers. (along don't get me wrong the lists did make sense but I just have them in different orders) We have Watson, Baker as TE's this year.. we have Wilfork (for now, hopefully longer, most likely not) Pryor, Brace, Wright and of course a sea of free agents that are usually available. What do the Pats need?
1. DE- Seymour is gone, Warren isn't that threatening alone. Burrgess is a has-been and Banta-Cain and other fill in's are average at best (right now). RE is a definate need and is important for the Pats to fill. Without it they have a 2 man pass rush instead of 3 on the line.
2. WR- Moss and Welker are great. Edelman was a sweet surprise, but after that? Yeah exactly. We need a 3rd/4th receiver option and maybe even an eventual replacement for Moss. I don't know if the Pats know what to do with some of the rookie WR's. The last few years they haven't given them any chances or enough chances to prove themselves unlike other teams who throw a lot. Jackson was a bust, Slater hasn't even seen the offense's playbook yet I bet, Aiken is a Bills outcast and Tate, who seems to be full of promise, hasn't even played yet. They also let productive ones go... Caldwell, Givens, Branch. Imagine if they had Moss, Welker, Branch and Caldwell... along with Edelman and Tate... stop that.
3. RB/FB- Maroney is okay so far, overall though still very frustrating considering where he was drafted. Green-Ellis is decent but from there we have an aging Faulk, Morris, and Taylor. And why do the Pats have no FB?
4. linebacker- Relying on Seau is good for now but someday that door will close and A. Thomas just isn't going anywhere as far as production goes. Mayo is awesome, Guyton was a true find but the rest are just average fill in's. If the other linebackers improve then maybe this need goes away... the other back up linebackers outside and middle are filled with promise so it's very possible that this falls off of the list by seasons end.
5. Oline. Vollmer seems to be Matt's replacement when he leaves but who knows who else will come back this next season. We've been lucky the last few years with a good Oline and I don't see BB letting that fact go away.
I don't know why but as great as the Pats are if they plan on not becoming what other teams have after the "dynasty years" (see Cowboys and 49ers for examples) they need to be smart and know when to cut there losses with old talent and hire someone who can find gold in dirt. They've done great thus far except when Hobbs and Samuel left/got traded. I also have been brewing up a conspiracy theory with the Pats that every year it seems that they try to write some weird story with injuries, almost always having a pretty big list.
In Response to 2010 draft needs
[QUOTE]Im trying to think what the biggest needs are.I think DT,TE,C,OLB,RB,P,WR, are area of concern round 1. TE round 2 DT round 2 OLB round 2 C round 4 RB round 6 WR round 7 P Tell me what you think......
Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]