2010 draft needs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

2010 draft needs

Im trying to think what the biggest needs are.I think DT,TE,C,OLB,RB,P,WR, are area of concern
    round 1. TE
    round 2  DT
    round 2  OLB
    round 2  C
    round 4  RB
    round 6  WR
    round 7  P

Tell me what you think......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Re: 2010 draft needs

DT depending on Wilfork. TE I dont see a big need, WR and RB are deffinate concerns. Its obvious the Pats only have 2 recievers and Moss isnt getting any younger

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

I completely dissagree with drafting a tight end in round 1.  We have much more use and will get much more value in this draft out of a linebacker or offensive lineman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

It's hard to say what we need until we go through free agency. But drafting TE in the first round just doesn't make any sense to me. It seems BB wants to stick with his 3-4 scheme which would call for another good MLB or OLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Your list is decent, however a number of O Line contracts expire and we have Vollmer and Levoir. It's way to early to say who stays (Mankins ?) and who goes, but it's clear the Pats could draft an OG or OT.  A DE/DT type player could be in the cards for either 2010 *(1st or 2nd round) or Raiders 1st in 2011 to effectively replace Sey and more depth for the LB corps could be to priorities. Hoyer looks like he could be a decent back-up, but I still see the Pats brass taking a QB; even if it means signing some undrafted player; I can't see the Pats trading up to get Tebow or Bradford or Mc Coy or whoever. I still like Baker or Watson at TE, but Bill seems to draft a TE every other year. The RB thang is to (ideally) find Faulk's replacement (not an easy task to find his production). If we can find a solid FB that can block and be used on short yardage that would be ideal. As for WRs; I really hope Moss sticks around for another three years...we have to see what Tate and Nunn are capable of first. I might throw a CB on that list and I could see BB wanting to keep Bodden (one year deal) around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This is dependent on whether or not we re-sign fork. I'm thinking not, in which case, i see it as;

1. Nose tackle
    2. RB
    3. OLB
    4. Oline
    5. WR
    6. ILB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up, pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  They haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are:

Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection.

Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player.

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong and intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run.

Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers and he's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Sorry but the idea of picking a position for each round without knowing the actual players that will be available is absurd and a useless exercise.  What sense would it make to take a TE 1st if the best one grades out as a 3rd round talent??  Have you ever actually listened to how the Pats and other NFL teams create their draft boards??  You take the best available talent.  If 2 guys grade out similarly, then you go with the position of need.  Reaching will kill you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I would have to say Round 1 needs to be an O-lineman or a D-lineman, unless there is an elite LB available when they're picking. 

They could use a MLB and an OLB, a DE, OL (G or T), CB, RB, TE. 

Then with the remainder of the picks once it's later in the draft they should probably start looking for some guys for the special teams coverage units, get some solid tacklers that can shift field advantage throughout the games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs:
    [QUOTE]IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up, pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  They haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are:

Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection.

Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player.

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong an intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run.

Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers.  He's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Dang, I like your post better than mine! lol

I agree with your first round strategy for sure, much better than my idea.

However, after the first round then i'd say he should start picking lineman (D-line and O-line) and some linebackers.  If it were me, i'd want to make sure I had as much depth on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball as possible.. control the line and it always gives you a good chance to win a game, no matter who you're playing.  Look at the Giants in '07, their D-line rotation was great.. the depth was unbelievable.. Osi and Tuck subbing in and out, Robbins/Coffield having Alford as a backup, Strahan manning his own side the whole time.  They always had a fresh body in there and it showed in the biggest games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Since when did you become an NFL GM or Coach.  I trust BB decision making over yours.
    Posted by BBRULES23[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling you would've said something like that.

Why reply if you're going to be like that? I mean, really.. this is for the sake of discussion and debate, not "i'm going to make the decision because Bill doesn't know how to do anything right."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Dang, I like your post better than mine! lol I agree with your first round strategy for sure, much better than my idea. However, after the first round then i'd say he should start picking lineman (D-line and O-line) and some linebackers.  If it were me, i'd want to make sure I had as much depth on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball as possible.. control the line and it always gives you a good chance to win a game, no matter who you're playing.  Look at the Giants in '07, their D-line rotation was great.. the depth was unbelievable.. Osi and Tuck subbing in and out, Robbins/Coffield having Alford as a backup, Strahan manning his own side the whole time.  They always had a fresh body in there and it showed in the biggest games.
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]

Thanks man.

I agree, talent and depth along both lines are key to controlling the line of scrimmage and therefore winning the majority of your games.  Belichick and Co have historically invested a large amount of draft picks along both lines (15 OL and 14 DL drafted since 2000, not to mention rookie free agent signings) obviously some of them haven't worked out.  I'd also like to see them come out of this draft with some offensive talent....

A quality #2 receiver to play outside opposite Moss, maybe someone like Eric Decker (6-2 215 Minnesota), he's a big, tough, sure handed receiver who runs good runs and has the ability to seperate.  He's also been extremely productive in his career with 224 rec for 3092 yds and 24 td's to this point in his career.

Another RB, whether it's a big back that they can hammer between the tackles and wear down opposing defenses (Charles Scott 5-11 234 LSU or Ryan Matthews 5-11 220 Fresno State) or a possible replacement to Kevin Faulk if he's not re-signed (Noel Devine 5-8 176 West Virginia).  Devine is small but is electric with the ball in his hands and can score from anywhere on the field.

I'd also like to see some youth and talent at TE that can stretch the seam (Ed Dickson 6-4 243 Oregon, Anthony McCoy 6-5 252 USC, Tony Moeaki 6-3 252 Iowa) and provide match up problems to opposing D's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Since when did you become an NFL GM or Coach.  I trust BB decision making over yours.
    Posted by BBRULES23[/QUOTE]

Are there any biologists out there that can help me with a potential discovery?  I suspect I've found evidence of the first single-cell organism to post on a forum.  It only has a vocabulary of about 20 words though.  If it's not a single cell organism, perhaps Leon has simply found a new way to annoy us.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

To begin with you have to know what players will be free agents after
    the 2009 season.  Bodden, Burgess, Green, Faulk, Hanson, Neal, Watson,
    and Wilfork are free agents regardless if there is an uncapped year or
    not.  If there is a new CBA and a new salary cap, Alexander, Gostowski,
    Mankins, and Woods are also free agents.

Looking at the above, I would say that emphasis would be placed on
    drafting a defensive lineman, an offensive lineman, tight end, and outsude
    linebacker.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up, pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  They haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are: Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection. Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong and intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run. Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers and he's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.

Terrance Cody looks like a great prospect i had him as our first round draft pick last year before he opted to stay in school.  Hopefully we don't need a nose tackle in this years draft due to resigning wilfork.  i think our needs for the next draft are as follows:
    1. OLB (the pass rush is terrible, we need the next McGinist terrorizing opposing QB's, lets find the next mayo at OLB)
    2. Oline Improved O-line can help the run game and protect tom better giving him more time to throw
    3. RB  (BJGE, fred taylor, and maroney have all looked pretty good this year, but BJGE is the only young one)
    4. NT (hopefully this won't be a need at all, but with all the contracts expiring on the D-line this could be a need soon)
    5. ILB (mayo and guyton are great but it would be nice to have more depth)
    6. WR (we have alot of rookies who will get better with experience in the system)
    7. TE (baker looked great at the beginning of the season and watson has performed well (how about germain gresham?))
    8. QB- brady won't last forever and since O'connell wasn't the answer it is time to find him.
    9. DB- hopefully we will be able to resign bodden for a reasonable contract but depth here is never a bad thing
    10. P- hanson isn't the best due to being inconsistant

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsandCs13. Show PatsandCs13's posts

Okay I read most of the replies and I must say that I disagree with the needs of a TE, DT and linebackers. (along don't get me wrong the lists did make sense but I just have them in different orders) We have Watson, Baker as TE's this year.. we have Wilfork (for now, hopefully longer, most likely not) Pryor, Brace, Wright and of course a sea of free agents that are usually available. What do the Pats need?

1. DE- Seymour is gone, Warren isn't that threatening alone. Burrgess is a has-been and Banta-Cain and other fill in's are average at best (right now). RE is a definate need and is important for the Pats to fill. Without it they have a 2 man pass rush instead of 3 on the line. 

2. WR- Moss and Welker are great. Edelman was a sweet surprise, but after that? Yeah exactly. We need a 3rd/4th receiver option and maybe even an eventual replacement for Moss. I don't know if the Pats know what to do with some of the rookie WR's. The last few years they haven't given them any chances or enough chances to prove themselves unlike other teams who throw a lot. Jackson was a bust, Slater hasn't even seen the offense's playbook yet I bet, Aiken is a Bills outcast and Tate, who seems to be full of promise, hasn't even played yet.  They also let productive ones go... Caldwell, Givens, Branch. Imagine if they had Moss, Welker, Branch and Caldwell... along with Edelman and Tate... stop that.

3. RB/FB- Maroney is okay so far, overall though still very frustrating considering where he was drafted. Green-Ellis is decent but from there we have an aging Faulk, Morris, and Taylor. And why do the Pats have no FB?

4. linebacker- Relying on Seau is good for now but someday that door will close and A. Thomas just isn't going anywhere as far as production goes. Mayo is awesome, Guyton was a true find but the rest are just average fill in's. If the other linebackers improve then maybe this need goes away... the other back up linebackers outside and middle are filled with promise so it's very possible that this falls off of the list by seasons end.

5. Oline. Vollmer seems to be Matt's replacement when he leaves but who knows who else will come back this next season. We've been lucky the last few years with a good Oline and I don't see BB letting that fact go away.

I don't know why but as great as the Pats are if they plan on not becoming what other teams have after the "dynasty years" (see Cowboys and 49ers for examples) they need to be smart and know when to cut there losses with old talent and hire someone who can find gold in dirt. They've done great thus far except when Hobbs and Samuel left/got traded. I also have been brewing up a conspiracy theory with the Pats that every year it seems that they try to write some weird story with injuries, almost always having a pretty big list.

In Response to 2010 draft needs:
    [QUOTE]Im trying to think what the biggest needs are.I think DT,TE,C,OLB,RB,P,WR, are area of concern round 1. TE round 2  DT round 2  OLB round 2  C round 4  RB round 6  WR round 7  P Tell me what you think......
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Thanks man. I agree, talent and depth along both lines are key to controlling the line of scrimmage and therefore winning the majority of your games.  Belichick and Co have historically invested a large amount of draft picks along both lines (15 OL and 14 DL drafted since 2000, not to mention rookie free agent signings) obviously some of them haven't worked out.  I'd also like to see them come out of this draft with some offensive talent.... A quality #2 receiver to play outside opposite Moss, maybe someone like Eric Decker (6-2 215 Minnesota), he's a big, tough, sure handed receiver who runs good runs and has the ability to seperate.  He's also been extremely productive in his career with 224 rec for 3092 yds and 24 td's to this point in his career. Another RB, whether it's a big back that they can hammer between the tackles and wear down opposing defenses (Charles Scott 5-11 234 LSU or Ryan Matthews 5-11 220 Fresno State) or a possible replacement to Kevin Faulk if he's not re-signed (Noel Devine 5-8 176 West Virginia).  Devine is small but is electric with the ball in his hands and can score from anywhere on the field. I'd also like to see some youth and talent at TE that can stretch the seam (Ed Dickson 6-4 243 Oregon, Anthony McCoy 6-5 252 USC, Tony Moeaki 6-3 252 Iowa) and provide match up problems to opposing D's.

wow good analysis dude!

you hit it on the nail with Charles Scott, i think BB would look at him and think about the Corey Dillon days, Scott would be an awesome pick in the 2nd round!

I also like Decker at receiver, i think we can either get him or Shipley with one of our 4 top picks, Shipley also has return abilities which might play a big part in his evaluation.

if logan mankins doesnt come back, then we definitely have to look at the guards in this years draft!

i love draft talk lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up, pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  They haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are: Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection. Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong and intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run. Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers and he's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Why trade up? We have the Raiders first rounder in 2011, theres an impact player. And with 3 secound rounders in a potentially uncapped year we need to not break the bank on one player. No Crabtrees please.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

BB never trades up...even with Mayo they traded down 3 spots.
    They do not need a NT.  That's why they drafted Brace.  And sure, maybe he's not the answer - but it is WAY too soon to tell, and it is WAY too soon for BB to give up on Brace, or for BB to think he has evaluated Brace enough.

This team NEVER drafts based on NEEDS (OK almost never - see Mayo).
    But 2010 will not be a needs-based draft...they will take whoever they feel helps them at the spot where they draft, or trade down/out.

I like Tebow alot as a HB/RB/WR type - Dallas Clark.  He's an athlete, smart, and a big winner.  And plays for Florida/Urban Meyer (BB's buddy).  OK so coming out of FL only means he will stink.
    I see Spikes at end of Round 1 or early in Round 2.  (Yeah I like Spikes)
    I see a WR in Round 2.  (I like Brandon LaFell)
    I see a DE/OLB in Round 2.  (I like Sergio Kindle or George Selvie) 

I think they need an interior OL.  BB really liked Eric Wood this year but he was gone...so I could see that carrying over to 2010 draft.  Also, a need for a 3rd-down RB to groom as Faulk's eventual guy.  Probably a mid-to-later rounds pick, though.

I think they will trade one of these day 1 picks, either the 1st or one of the 2nd rounders.  I cannot see them making a big splash, where they own Oakland's #1 the following year, plus their own.

Too early to talk draft, as players will rise and fall, and we won't have an idea on BB's plan (we won't anyhow, but it's fun).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

In Response to 2010 draft needs:
    [QUOTE]Im trying to think what the biggest needs are.I think DT,TE,C,OLB,RB,P,WR, are area of concern round 1. TE round 2  DT round 2  OLB round 2  C round 4  RB round 6  WR round 7  P Tell me what you think......
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the fun post. Hey, trade out first round, try to change it for second, third, and fourth rounders. This next year focus on signing core veteran LB's, DL's, and TE. Look for speed in the second, third, and fourth rounds. 

The follow year with Oakland's first round pick and our own, trade up and make some long term pics.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

You're not going to get a 2,3,4 for a 1...
    Maybe trade the 1 for 2 high 2nds.  Or a 1st and 3rd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

According to Miguel, our roster will look like this the next 2 years:

QBBrady, HoyerHoyer
    RBMarony, Morris, Taylor 
    WRMoss, Welker, Jules, Aiken, TateWelker, Jules, Aiken, Tate
    TEBakerBaker
    OTLight, Kaczur, Vollmer, LevoirKaczur, Vollmer, Levoir
    OGOhrnberger, Simmons (Mankins)Ohrnberger, Simmons
    CKoppenKoppen

DTWarren, Wright, Pryor, BraceWarren, Wright, Pryor, Brace
    3-4 OLBThomas, TBCThomas, TBC
    3-4 ILBMayo, Guyton, AlexanderMayo, Guyton, Alexander
    CBButler, Wilhite, Wheatley, SpringsButler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs
    SMerriweather, McGowan, Chung, Sanders, Lockett, SlaterMerriweather, Chung, Sanders, Lockett, Slater

K(Ghost) 
    P  
    LSIngramIngram

A few observations:

1.  We are all set at Safety, Cornerback and Offensive Tackle.
    2.  We are looking good at DT and LB.

3.  We need a kicker, guard, punter and tight end.
    4.  We need 1 new RB next year, and 4 new RBs in 2 years.
    5.  We need 1 new WR in 2 years.

6.  We need to re-sign Tom Brady.

Our only real need next year is at kicker, guard, punter and tight end - not a bad spot to be in.  Should give us plenty of freedom to draft the best player available.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaacee. Show jaacee's posts

OLB,ILB,SAFETY, DE, CB, RB, WR, FB--- LOOK FOR BIG RB- 240-260; SAFETY, AT LEAST6'1", 210 OR MORE(CLONE OF RODNEY H, A BIG HITTER); CB, AT LEAST 
    5'11" AND 190; FB, AT LEAST 250 SUPERIOR BLOCKER;TALL WR,ATLEAST 6'2"6"3",
    DE, SPEED AND POWER FOR SACKS;  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

This is one conversation so complex it's impossible to answer.  Just consider the following factors that would come into play prior to the draft.

-Extending current veterans.
    -Free Agents.
    -Progression of our current roster.
    -Significant injuries that may damage ability in future years (i.e., Rosie Colvin).
    -Trades after the season.

Another factor is to consider is that this team is no longer a simple depth chart of a base defense per se.  Now they are in sub packages more often than any one base package.  With that said, in terms of priorities

1. Wilfork’s contract.
    2. Primier pass rusher.
    3. Running Back
    4. Leigh Bodden extention.
    5. Tight End
    6. Wide Receiver

I think everything else will come from within.