2010 Draft Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: 2010 Draft Talk

I would like to see the Pats pick up George Selvie of South Florida.  I admit to mentioning this kid because I am an alum but I have been watching him for four years and he is a playmaker.  He's a 6'4" 250 lb. DE who probably projects as a DE/LB on the pro level.  To me he's the difference maker on a team that upset Florida State last week, West Virginia when they have been ranked in the top ten a couple of years in a row and a highly ranked Auburn team two years ago and a highly ranked Kansas team the year before last.  He's a two time All-American and is first or second in Division 1 in career sacks and tackles for loss.

I'm sure the Pats will consider him since they have his ex-teammate Tyrone McKenzie on the payroll who is on the IR for the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"I suspect they use their first with a second round pick to move up and get someone they really want to spend first round money on"

The 2010 draft was already looking much deeper than the 2009 draft, even before considering the probable exodus of juniors and red shirt sophmores that will make this draft all that much deeper.

This could be the best draft class ever, or one of the best ever.

BB will see no need to trade up in this draft, as the Pats will be swimming in first round/borderline first round quality prospects throughout the second round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2010 is going to be a loaded draft since most college players are going to be trying to get in under a potential rookie cap so I see them spending all their 2nd rounders this year and possible even trading back their first for a second and a future 2nd (ie what they did this year) if the talent is there.

I completely agree that a rb will be chosen in the first couple picks but it might not be a bruising back. I think BJGE will assume Maroney's role and take over as the primary scat back with a bruiser back being taken in the later rounds. The back I see is the replacement for Faulk in Devine. He be a great 2nd round pickup and with his abilities would thrive in a 2 back scheme with BJGE a threat to shoot the gaps.

WR I just don't see happening with how Nunn, Elderman are progressing and Tate just over the horizen.

I'm also looking back into the DL for Greens eventually replacement and you can never have to many DB's so that's a huge draw.

I see the first couple rounds coming out as NE trading back the 1st pick for a 2nd and a future 2nd giving them 4 total.

1st pick Cory Wootton DE - Future Green replacement, reminds me of Warren, would be a beast off the edge

2nd pick Ricky Sapp DE/OLB - Need a pash rusher? well this kid has just freaky raw talent. The knock is he is undersized and is raw on techniques. He does have the frame to gain some weight and has been used as a cb before with above average coverage skills.

3rd pick Kyle Wilson CB - One of the better kick returns to come out of the draft who also happens to show great talent and promise as a cb

4th pick Noel Devine RB - a spark plug that would be the perfect replacement for Faulk long term. If he were bigger he'd be in discussions for top 3 rb's in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Draft Talk:
    [QUOTE]2010 is going to be a loaded draft since most college players are going to be trying to get in under a potential rookie cap so I see them spending all their 2nd rounders this year and possible even trading back their first for a second and a future 2nd (ie what they did this year) if the talent is there. I completely agree that a rb will be chosen in the first couple picks but it might not be a bruising back. I think BJGE will assume Maroney's role and take over as the primary scat back with a bruiser back being taken in the later rounds. The back I see is the replacement for Faulk in Devine. He be a great 2nd round pickup and with his abilities would thrive in a 2 back scheme with BJGE a threat to shoot the gaps. WR I just don't see happening with how Nunn, Elderman are progressing and Tate just over the horizen. I'm also looking back into the DL for Greens eventually replacement and you can never have to many DB's so that's a huge draw. I see the first couple rounds coming out as NE trading back the 1st pick for a 2nd and a future 2nd giving them 4 total. 1st pick Cory Wootton DE - Future Green replacement, reminds me of Warren, would be a beast off the edge 2nd pick Ricky Sapp DE/OLB - Need a pash rusher? well this kid has just freaky raw talent. The knock is he is undersized and is raw on techniques. He does have the frame to gain some weight and has been used as a cb before with above average coverage skills. 3rd pick Kyle Wilson CB - One of the better kick returns to come out of the draft who also happens to show great talent and promise as a cb   4th pick Noel Devine RB - a spark plug that would be the perfect replacement for Faulk long term. If he were bigger he'd be in discussions for top 3 rb's in the draft.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I don't believe BJGE has the same skill set as Maroney.  Maroney is good in space, has home-run ability while BJGE is more of a tough running, between the tackles type back.  As I said to another poster, I'm with you on Devine as a potential 3rd down/change of pace back, kid is electric, has Sproles type ability.  As for Sapp, he appears to be the ideal 3-4 OLB candidate from the reports I've read, but he's also projected to go in the top 15, so they'd most likely need to move up to get him (assuming they're a playoff team).  Wooton's size and skill set will certainly place him on NE's radar.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

[QUOTE]first of all you guys are going about this wrong. first we need to look at all the players which will be FA after this season whom we are most likely not going to resign and find the spots which are the thinnest.the following players will be FA: LB Eric Alexander OL Wesley Britt K Stephen Gostkowski OL Nick Kaczur (contract extended) OL Logan Mankins OL Ryan O'Callaghan TE Alex Smith DE Le Kevin Smith TE David Thomas LB Pierre Woods WR Sam Aiken LB Tully Banta-Cain CB Leigh Bodden LB Tedy Bruschi LB Vinny Ciurciu RB Kevin Faulk WR Joey Galloway DL Jarvis Green P Chris Hanson OL Russ Hochstein LS Nathan Hodel C Al Johnson OL Stephen Neal DL Richard Seymour TE Benjamin Watson DL Vince Wilfork LB/S Tank Williams OL Billy Yates hopefully we will be able to resign players such as wilfork, Gostkowski, Leigh Bodden, Kevin Faulk, jarvis green, hanson, etc.after we figure out which players we should be able to resign then we can worry about whom to draft (although this might be a little early to be talking about this).
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Out of the 28 players you listed only 15 are still on the team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think what they look for in an OLB is size and speed because they need to take on OTs and since they are rushing the passer they need some height to block passes.  ILBs I don't think that height is that big of a requirement.  They have to have some weight and speed. 

Now if we pick up somebody as a FA some requirements go out the window.  If they are players it doesn't matter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wonder if the Raiders pulled a fast one or not on us.  Because it is the Raiders the draft pick should be pretty high but there will be a hole in the 2011 draft as everyone runs to the last cash draft.

Another thought is there may be folks who will over pay to move up in the 2010 draft.  It should be interesting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if the Raiders pulled a fast one or not on us.  Because it is the Raiders the draft pick should be pretty high but there will be a hole in the 2011 draft as everyone runs to the last cash draft. Another thought is there may be folks who will over pay to move up in the 2010 draft.  It should be interesting.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I had heard that Belichick was offered a 2010 or 2011 and he chose 2011.  With the 2011 Oakland pick looking like a probable top 10 pick (well, because they s*ck and there doesn't appear to be any reason for optimism) there should still be plenty of quality between the players who don't come out this year and the current sophmore class.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if the Raiders pulled a fast one or not on us.  Because it is the Raiders the draft pick should be pretty high but there will be a hole in the 2011 draft as everyone runs to the last cash draft. Another thought is there may be folks who will over pay to move up in the 2010 draft.  It should be interesting.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

The 2011 draft will be weaker then the 2010 draft but a top 10 if not top 5 pick even in a weak draft is still considered a major blue chip that has pro-bowl talent. So if there is a rookie cap then given a #7 pick in 2010 could cost you the money to sign both Wilfork and Mankins while a #7 pick in 2011 is relatively cheap.

Another way to look at it is that trading back from a top 10 pick, yet alone a top 5, is nearly impossible to get fair value without a rookie cap but with a rookie cap then a top 10 or top 5 pick is like owning a gold mine that happens to sit on top of a diamond mine

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"I had heard that Belichick was offered a 2010 or 2011 and he chose 2011."

Where did you hear this? It doesn't quite make sense, even given the assumed rookie salary cap in 2011.

We always talk about how hard it is to trade down from a top 5 or top 10 pick, because of the bloated rookie salary guidelines, but come draft day, the value of those picks always seems to jump.

Trading down several times from a 2010 top 10 pick would net a couple 2011 first round picks at the very least, and possibly a second rounder as well.

I also wouldn't bet on the Raiders being worse next year than this year.

Given that most people think the Pats got a great deal as is, I don't think that 2010 Raiders first rounder was on the table.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]"I had heard that Belichick was offered a 2010 or 2011 and he chose 2011." Where did you hear this? It doesn't quite make sense, even given the assumed rookie salary cap in 2011. We always talk about how hard it is to trade down from a top 5 or top 10 pick, because of the bloated rookie salary guidelines, but come draft day, the value of those picks always seems to jump. Trading down several times from a 2010 top 10 pick would net a couple 2011 first round picks at the very least, and possibly a second rounder as well. I also wouldn't bet on the Raiders being worse next year than this year. Given that most people think the Pats got a great deal as is, I don't think that 2010 Raiders first rounder was on the table.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I heard it reported on either WEEI or 98.5.

I don't agree that NE would be able to trade down from a 2010 top 10 pick "serveral times" and somehow get two 2011 1st rounders and one second rounder "at the very least" in return.  If a rookie cap is installed before the 2011 draft those picks will be far more valuable because of the lower cost per player.  So to me, it makes perfect sense that they'd prefer a 2011 pick, if they were given the choice.

Why wouldn't you bet on the Raiders being worse next year vs this year?  What have they shown that would prove they'd be any better?  That organization is a debacle from the top down......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I read that info too.  It was in one of Reese's posts at one point I think

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Interesting info.

I know Denver traded their 2010 first rounder for a 2009 mid-second rounder on draft day, and they weren't the only team to do so.

Strong deep 2010 draft with high salary scale vs. depleted 2011 draft with rookie pay cap.

Maybe it would be prohibitively harder to trade down this year, especially since the league tends to copy the Pats, and might place a higher value on 2nd rounders (which can theoretically be traded for future firsts) this year.

Lucky for us, we have three of 'em!

I'm happy with the Raiders 2011 pick. It's like knowing you're taking an amazing vacation in two years. Looking forward to it is half the fun, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nathan-ndeira. Show nathan-ndeira's posts

here are some players you should really have a look at

everson griffen is monster iwth incredible speed for a hybrid defensive, 6-3 270 pounds and run the 40 in 4.47 seconds, he hasn't developed into an elite pass rusher so if goes in next years draft he could be avaliable were the patriots are hoping to draft which is at 32. I like corey wootton big 3-4 style defensive end and depending on how he goes in the combine with determine weather or not the patriots can draft him. remember the patriots have that 2011 raiders first pick and the league could bring in a rookie salary cap by then and im hoping that raiders pick will top ten because of carlos dunlap, he's like mario williams, 6-6 290lbs and can the 3-4 system, he's great pass rusher. i don't see him going in next years draft because he's still a sophmore and really devoped his game with another in college. i don't the patriots drafting a running back because seriously benJarvus green ellis plays so well whenever he get's the ball and to me he is the future running back of this team.

I would love for the patriots to draft eric berry because he plays like Ed Reed and can really give a boost to our secondary with brandon merriweather, shawn springs, leigh bodden, darius butler, james sanders, pat chung i mean it would become a bery good secondary but i think he will be long gone by the time the patriots pick. taylor mays would be an incredible pick if they were to trade up for because of how big is he could make a transition as a hybrid safety/linebacker, he is an incredible athlete

Rolando McClain would be the a great pick because not only can he play inside, he is great pass rusher at 6-4 250lbs and i think's that's who the patriots will draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I disagree with all this talk about 2010 being such a deep draft while 2011 will be weak due to so many players wanting to come out early before a rookie salary scale is instituted.  Think about this one for a second.....only the top 10 picks make rediculous amounts of money which is why a rookie scale is being talked about in the first place.  By the time you get to the lower part of the first round, those guys are making roughly $1-2 million/season which is still pretty cheap.

Even with a rookie pay scale in place, I doubt very seriously that picks 20-32 are going to be reduced much at all.  In my opinion, I can see the top picks having their sompnsation reduced to no more than say 2-3mil/per depending on draft position i.e., #1 pick vs. #10 pick etc...  Where as picks 20-32 might end up making anywhere from $750,000 - 1.5 million per season depending on the draft slot.

Keeping this rationale in mind, why would there be this huge incentive to come out early as many on this board are claiming when there is just so many slots to go around?  If as a player you are currently regarded as a lower first round talent for the '10 draft then why come out early only to make lower first round and maybe even second round money when you could just stay in school for another year if it means your draft stock rises to the point to where you could be regarded as a top 10 pick even wih a payscale in place?

I mean no matter what, a top 15 pick should and most likely will end up making double what the 16-32 picks wind up making when the pay scale is finally put in place.  Therefore, are you guys really trying to make the argument that a '10 lower first round/second round pick will be compensated more than a top 15 pick in the '11 draft?  I personally don't.  Like I said before, the talk of a rookie pay scale is only being discussed because of the rediculous amounts of money being paid out to top 10 picks.  This is where the changes are going to be mostly made not the other picks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Well, every year there are no more than 10 players who project as first or second rounders who decide to stay.

Bradford projected as top 5 overall and huge money.

Gresham projected as perhaps the first TE taken in 2009, which would have been top 20 and good money.

Tebow projected as second round.

So I think the top tier talents who might be inclined to stay will come out, to rake in $10 million a year instead of 5 or whatever the rookie salary cap dictates.

The mid-late first round projected talents might be slightly more likely to come out, depending on what their future agents/advisors are telling them about the pay scale for 2011.

The projected second rounders might not be affected in their decision to stay or go very much at all, and if their advisors view the 2010 draft as exceptionally deep, and the player has both a desire to return and a lot of improvement to be gained by staying, then that prospect might even be slightly more inclined to stay.

I'm definitely not worried at all about the 2011 first round, and am pretty thrilled about the top 10.

Julio Jones is now a sophmore all world WR, and would make an outstanding compliment and eventual replacement of Randy Moss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Here's a very early 2011 mock draft:
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Just some names to keep an eye on for the next couple seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

In the unlikely event that Brady finds himself in either a Wilfork or a Seymour type of situation after this season, and we end up losing Brady (God forbid), that 2011 Raiders pick just might land us a franchise QB of the future.

Jake Locker, Pat Devlin, and Terrelle Pryor would be the possible candidates.

I'll take Brady for $17 million per, thank you. If he accepts it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a very early 2011 mock draft: http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php Just some names to keep an eye on for the next couple seasons.

Kyle Rudolph the TE from ND is a guy that really intrigues me for 2011.  If he continues to develop, he could be in the conversation as a top 15 pick.  He has the speed, size, atleticism and pedigree (plaing in a Charlie Weis offense) that would make him a good fit in NE and we know they value a quality pass catching TE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In the unlikely event that Brady finds himself in either a Wilfork or a Seymour type of situation after this season, and we end up losing Brady (God forbid), that 2011 Raiders pick just might land us a franchise QB of the future. Jake Locker, Pat Devlin, and Terrelle Pryor would be the possible candidates. I'll take Brady for $17 million per, thank you. If he accepts it.

Locker is intriguing, it'll be interesting to see how he develops now that he's in a pro-style offense run by Sarkisian.  There's a good chance he could come out this year though.  Ryan Mallet from Arkansas is another intriguing pocket guy, he's a 6-7 transfer from Michigan and I believe he'd be a draft eligible junior in 2011.

Personally, I think NE gets a deal done with Brady, extending him to 2014 or so.  I think they'll draft a successor at QB to develop in the meantime though.  If it's not Tebow (who I'm a huge fan of) then I believe Locker would be next on my list at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I think Brady would want more than a four year deal. Somebody will offer him 5 or 6, probably. For more than $100 million.

I suppose it's worth noting Brady's sideline displays of frustration from here on out. Having two young children would also be a reason to want to live closer to CA.

I think it would be in the Pats interest to buy Brady a new fancy WR toy ASAP.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I think Brady would want more than a four year deal. Somebody will offer him 5 or 6, probably. For more than $100 million. I suppose it's worth noting Brady's sideline displays of frustration from here on out. Having two young children would also be a reason to want to live closer to CA. I think it would be in the Pats interest to buy Brady a new fancy WR toy ASAP.

Personally I think Brady will take less (relative to the Manning contract) to finish up in NE.  It would come down more to guaranteed money than length of contract.

I actually like the displays of frustration on the sidelines, the team needs that kind of fire from it's offensive leader.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In my calculations having a more dangerous pass rush should be high on the list. I suspect OL might be a higher priority than stated (both for run and maybe even more for pass blocking). I do agree that LB continues to be an area needed upgrade - though by years end Guyton may have helped lessen the numbers needed to be filled.

With Bodden in a 1 year deal and looking for a big contract we may be needing to add depth while trying to replace possibly the best CB on the team. How the Mankins and Wilfork contracts play out will be crucial as well.

Not having a Corey Dillon (or a Jim Nance for those of you who remember that far back - he was HOF caliber) shows up with this team but I think it is more about the OL than about the RBs. I have heard all sorts of criticisms of Maroney THIS year (before the latest injury) that do not jibe with the effort he has had on the field. But neither he nor Taylor are moving the pile when they someone to do that. Still, they and Morris are tough runners with some heft. They are not Curtis Martin! Age is also an issue for 3 of the 4 backs seeing meaningful playing time. 

Regarding the post on the height of LBs: do note that both Burgess and TB Cain are essentially pass rush DEs with this roster. It is more about the edge setting OLBs who also have to be able to PR and cover. It is easier to turn to a veteran who has proven that he can do it in this league even if his measurables are not perfect as with A Thomas. Rookie Ninkovich was on the bubble but if you watch the last preseason game or two he set the edge with some real strength and so fought his way through to the roster. I am hopeful he will show improvement and deepen the talent there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Angel you are right for players that will potentially get picked from the 40's on, there won't be much insentive. That is because most contracts will be around the same regardless but those expecting to be picked lower run the risk of losing millions. That means you have the first 40 or so guys who have a chance being taken in the top 30 then on top of that you have the players who are late teens to early second picks that would normally stay in trying to improve their draft status now saying, well I could get picked a bit later this year for the same money as being picked 10 positions higher next year and save a year of wear. There are atleast 20 players that fit into this catagory. So toss an extra 20 players with first to early second round talent into the mix now you have 60 players with high talent. Since players would declare early instead of trying to improve their draft position the fringe 2nd and 3rd rounders who fill out the first day will stay in school since they get bumped up draft wise the next year. So now you have late 2nd to 3rd rounders filling out the draft spots of the late 1st to late 2nd picks for the year after.

That's why everyone is saying that 2010 will be a stronger draft since more talent will be top loaded while the mid pick draftees will elect to stay in school moving up the next draft to (in some cases) a whole round higher, putting mid round talent into day 1 spots.

Of course this will only really affect the mid first to 3rd round picks since those top 15 talent are the cream of the draft regardless of draft strength and post 3rd the salaries are basically all the same so no matter the year they come out they will be making about the same amount of money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]Angel you are right for players that will potentially get picked from the 40's on, there won't be much insentive. That is because most contracts will be around the same regardless but those expecting to be picked lower run the risk of losing millions. That means you have the first 40 or so guys who have a chance being taken in the top 30 then on top of that you have the players who are late teens to early second picks that would normally stay in trying to improve their draft status now saying, well I could get picked a bit later this year for the same money as being picked 10 positions higher next year and save a year of wear. There are atleast 20 players that fit into this catagory. So toss an extra 20 players with first to early second round talent into the mix now you have 60 players with high talent. Since players would declare early instead of trying to improve their draft position the fringe 2nd and 3rd rounders who fill out the first day will stay in school since they get bumped up draft wise the next year. So now you have late 2nd to 3rd rounders filling out the draft spots of the late 1st to late 2nd picks for the year after. That's why everyone is saying that 2010 will be a stronger draft since more talent will be top loaded while the mid pick draftees will elect to stay in school moving up the next draft to (in some cases) a whole round higher, putting mid round talent into day 1 spots. Of course this will only really affect the mid first to 3rd round picks since those top 15 talent are the cream of the draft regardless of draft strength and post 3rd the salaries are basically all the same so no matter the year they come out they will be making about the same amount of money.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I still personally disagree with that assessment.  In my opinion, I think the rookie pay scale is geared toward reining in the rediculous amounts of money being paid to the top 10 picks because the cost is so prohibitive that bad teams are actually punished for picking so high.  After those top 10 picks, the cost starts coming down considerably, which is why I feel that when we do finally see a rookie pay scale, it won't necessarily affect all players, but mostly the top 10 picks.

Now, if a player doesn't feel that they have a legitimate shot at being a top 10 pick in '10, then I see no reason for there to be this huge influx of players coming out early if the difference in pay for picks 15 and onward show little to no difference in pay from '10 - '11.  What I'm basically saying is that I feel that because there will be a negotiation between the owners and the player's union, that there will be a little give and take on both sides.  Because of this, I'm just predicting that the wage scale is being aimed at top 10 picks and not the rest of the 1st -7th rounds.

If you feel that the wage scale is going to be entirely different that what I just described, then fine we'll just have to agree to disagree.