2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

mbeaulieu07 I know he is projected to be a top 15, but he could slip and then he would be a huge pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Guys Brady is going to be around another 8 years or so...so even if Tebow does develop into a good QB (I have my doubts) he wouldn't be starting until he's 30.  Developing a replacement for Tom should be among the last things the team is thinking about right now if they want to win anytime soon.

I like a lot of the picks people are making here.  Golden Tate is a beast, but I have concerns whether he could play the outside receiver spot in the NFL.  Nothing wrong with a dominant slot receiver, but the Pats are pretty set in those spots.  They need someone big and physical like Bryant, LaFell, Decker, etc.  Just my opinion.  

I would like to see a pass rushing OLB, a WR, and a RB among the first 2 rounds.  Something like:

Jerry Hughes
    Brandon LaFell
    Ryan Matthews

That would make me very happy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

pyegian ,

Had those guys on my radar too.  An 1,000 yard back and stud WR who can dominate one-on-one.  Since teams like to double Moss, a dual threat would be unstoppable.  We better be thinking TE too since I think Watson is gone.  He barely made the team and now will likely chase the money elsewhere. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

We need to land one of these TE's with one of our top 4 picks, IMO.  I think Gronkowski and Gresham could sneak into the first round.  Although both could slip given their injuries, although both should be healthy by the Combine.  I think Hernandez could be there at 44 or 47

371Jermaine GreshamTEOklahoma6-62581-2injury4.78--------------
    422Rob GronkowskiTEArizona6-62652same4.76--------------
    493Aaron HernandezTEFlorida6-22502same4.62--------------
    744Anthony McCoyTESouthern California6-52522-3same4.78--------------

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

Using Faucetman's stay/lost list (i agree with it), this would be my plan for the 2009 off-season-

Stay
    -  Kevin Faulk, Vince Wilfork (unhappy franchise tag?), Leigh Bodden, Gary Guyton, Stephen Goskowski, and Tully Banta-Cain

Lost - Ben Watson, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Pierre Woods, Derrick Burgess, Chris Hanson and Junior Seau (for awhile), Cut - Adalius Thomas and possibly Matt Light.

Free agent pick-ups:

WR: trade for boldin (use either a 2nd rounder this year or next years 1st- still have oakland's 1st)-- cheap alternative would be to hope branch is cut and sign him-

OLB: sign jason taylor- he would provide a pass rush, is familiar with the system and would be a great locker room guy-

TE: Mid level guy to provide competition and depth.

draft:

Trade out of 22nd spot to somewhere around 26-30 and pick-up a 3rd rounder.

1st round: Hope Iupati is available- he would serve as a powerful replacement for neal and has versatility to be a right tackle. It would give the o-line some nastiness and with mankins and vollmer would give them some real talented maulers up front. Not sure if light would be around or not, but and o-line of light, mankins, koppin, iupati, and vollmer or vollmer, mankins, koppin, iupati and kazur would look pretty good-

2nd round: olb pass rusher ( not sure which one)- add to the mix with jt, crable, and tbc

2nd round: rb- matthews- a power runner- if this selection is made i think either morris or fred taylor (or both) should be cut. Maroney still comes cheap, faulk is mr. patriot and bjge serves as depth.

2nd round: wr- decker- will provide another solid possession receiver. With moss, boldin, welker, edelman, tate and decker this team will have tons of options and the future would look bright with boldin, welker, edelman, tate and decker locked up long term.

3rd round- (acquired by moving back in the 1st round)- DE- oghobaase- seems to be a good fit. the d-line with wilfork and warren and a mix of brace, pyror, wright and this pick should be fine. hope someone steps up in this group opposite wilfork and warren or use the 2011 pick on a blue chip prospect.

4th round- te (not sure which one) with only baker returning and a mid level free agent pick-up this will not be the strongest spot. But baker is a strong blocker and you hope the rookie or the free agent can catch fire. However, you can't be all world at every position.

thoughts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Like I said earlier,all of these ideas are solid and if BB plays his cards right the draft could be his to control...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

we don't have a 3rd round pick

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

In my post i mentioned that we "Trade out of 22nd spot to somewhere around 26-30 and pick-up a 3rd rounder."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Forget about "knowing your stuff", "being a knowledgable fan", your a moron if you want Tim Tebow any higher than the fifth round. Please explain why, because that statement "mosdef" deserves a good explanation. He had all the talent in the world at Florida and never became a "real". And by " real" QB, I mean someone who can win the game for you through the air, everytime he needs to make a big play he takes off running. And this is with some of the most talented teams in college the last 10 years, he's a bigger, stronger, faster Matt Cassell. And Cassell isnt even close to being a top 15 QB. I cant even believe some of you are seriously thinking about him, yea hes on target...from 15 yards away! He's just like Cassell, both have had ample time to progress, but failed to live up to even the smallest expectations. Please enlighten me because I must be missing something here. And save that intangible BS, give me some actual evidence that he can produce in the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

On the other hand Im glad someone else is talking about the ILB spot. Drafting a guy who who is projected to be an OLB out of college is extremely risky. Yea thats the nature of the draft, but the last couple years have been terrible for that position. Besides no-one in this class has seperated themselves from the next guy. Id love to get a Spikes and think theres a great chance we can get him at 22, I really like McClain, but think Spikes can be just as good if not better. I think he'll be an absolute beast in the middle, 6 3'/255 who loves to hit, does a great job of diagnosing a play, has a great motor and I love guys who are always around the ball. This guy doesnt give up on a play, and is very explosive. One thing that killed me with Mayo was his lack at locating the ball-carrier, especially up the middle. If you want to blame his injuries, ok I can see it effecting his ability to get to the edge, but not in the middle. I think Spikes can also rush the QB a lil' if you need him to give you a blitz up the middle. Some people dont like his speed and his hips, both things are very fixable considering the talent and upside this guy has. Something else I think he already does better than Mayo is playing in space which hurt 51 a little bit this year. We blew it last year, we could have had Mala/Laura at ILB last year and get Matthews at OLB. Lets not blow it this year fill the need at ILB and believe me, we'll be able to get a Wooten, Kindle, Hughes, Selvie, Graham in the second round. And if were going to move up into the top ten, I only do so if we can get Berry. Ive really started to watch as much film as I can on him as well as every Tenn. game, this kid is absolutly the real deal. He likes to hit and can make a correct tackle, has great speed and can play some CB in the NFL. This guy is great, but another guy Ive fallen for is Earl Thomas from Texas. Same skill set, great ball-hawk, can cover, and play the run. Watching this guy the last year one could make an argument that he is a better at wrapping up, hes moving up fast.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

pyegian,
    There's no way BB builds this team on the assumption that Brady is still healthy and productive at 40, assuming he's still running the coaching/personnel operation 8 years from now.

Drafting Kevin O'Connell in Rd 3 of the 2008 draft, successful or not, shows that he's working on the now with an eye towards the future.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Still waiting to hear a decent explanation on Tebow Beau?  Or are you just afraid to lose a debate, isnt that why were on here, to go back n forth about subjects like this?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

I think you are ranking Ryan Matthews way to high.  He is a late 3rd early 4th round guy. 

Here is what I think the Patriots will do.  They will trade their 1st round to a team like TB for their 2nd and 4th.

So...with that in mind here is my predictions for the draft:

2nd (35): Brandon Spikes -ILB- Fla.
    2nd (44): Brandon Graham - OLB/DE - Mich (Golden Tate if he is there, and then Graham at 47)
    2nd (47): Javier Arenas - CB- Ala. - I would say Ghee, but the Patriots special teams had been really sketchy with field position and this guy has the ability to run back kicks.  BB loves versatility.
    2nd (53): Aaron Hernandez - TE- Fla. - I believe that Watson will not be resigned, therefore, they will need new blood.
    4th (98): Ryan Matthews - RB - Fresno - You guys have this guy on your boards waaaay to high.  Remember, I only have them at this pick due to my trade theory.
    4th (116): Dexter McCluster- WR/RB- Ole Miss - Again, this guy is extremely versatile, and will catch BB's eye.  He looks like a Kevin Faulk kind of playmaker guy.
    6th (?): Sam Young - OT - ND - Despite having a pretty bad senior season, this guy was looking to be a 2nd round guy just a year ago, if he had declared.  He obviously has the ability, so he looks like a value pick to me.
    7th (?): Zoltan Mesko - P - Mich - Patriots need a punter.  The situation is bad right now will all of the special teams.
    7th (?): Walter McFadden - CB - Auburn

Again, these are with my supposed trade.  Without the trade I would suspect the Patriots take a guy like Gresham or Hughes in that 1st slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Thanks for the draft assessment, I don't follow College football very close so I don't know much about most of those guys other than scouting reports.  If they sign Guyton than I think ILB position will be low on the priority list.  What O-lineman could you see the Pats taking if they go for one in the 1st?

Cassel had one year left in 08 and I think the plan for O'connell was to learn for a year and then be a good backup when Cassel left.  Hoyer looked pretty good this year so I think the backup QB spot is locked up for a while.  IMO they will not address the starting QB spot until Brady shows a decline in productivity, or when he is 36 or 37 years old and then I think they would get a 1st round QB. 

I would like to see OLB, DE or an O-lineman taken early. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

PATHEAD I have them taking the same guys in that same order. ILB is a huge need for us, I go with Spikes because OLB is such a tough position to call coming out of college, so many bust the last 2-3 years. And I think if Grahams not there someone else is because I see teams laying off that spot until late first to early-even mid second. I thing I have to disagree on is Arenas, I think hes a very good prospect and considering the weak CB class I think hes off by very early second. Theres maybe 10-14 solid CB in the league and he looks like a real player. Id have no problem with the Pats trading up to the begining of the second to grab him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Patriothead22,

What aspect(s) of Mathews' game makes you think he's a 3-4 rounder? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Ryan Matthews 4th round?  Is there another RB named Matthews in this draft?  We'll be lucky if this guy is available in the second round.

Here's a little more on Matthews, a 220lbs back that runs a 4.42 40 on that alone he will be picked no later than mid second if not sooner.  He's weaknesses are coachable and can become a more balanced back but what we need him for, which is to run between the tackles he's perfect.  KF will be signed so he will continue to be the 3rd down back and the one catching the ball.  This gives matthews a year or two to work on that before he's looked at to be a 3 down back.  But to think this kid will fall to the 4th round again it must be another Ryan Matthews.

Ryan Mathews - Fresno State (HT: 5'11" | WT: 220)
    Projection: 2nd Round

Strengths:
    -Size/speed combination, has been timed as low as 4.42 at 220 lbs.
    -Explosive, breaks a ton of runs for long yardage, Had 8 games this year with runs over 40 yards, including 3 against Boise State
    -Production, 1,808 yards and 19 touchdowns on 276 carries
    -Leaping ability, can jump over a pile into the end zone
    -Extremely difficult to bring down in the open field, displays a rare blend of speed, quickness, strength, and moves
    -Really an impressive athlete, not many players come out with his ability, has tremendous upside
    -Can grind it inside and bounce it out, the total package

Weaknesses:
    -Injury history, endured small injuries as a freshman, then missed a few games as a sophomore with nerve damage, suffered a concussion this November in a game against Nevada
    -Hasn’t been used much as a receiver, lacks good route running ability
    -Doesn’t secure the ball very well, carries the ball away from his body too much
    -Numbers may be questioned due to playing in the WAC

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb do you know much about this guy, here's his scouting report.  I heard the other day this kid could be a steal if he falls out of the second round.  If Spikes is gone this kid could be the answer at MLB specially if we get a 3rd rounder and pick this kid up in the 3rd. 

Micah Johnson - Kentucky (HT: 6'2" | WT: 258)
    Projection: 2nd Round

Strengths:
    -Excellent size, a force up the middle
    -Great lateral footwork, scrapes very well (277 career tackles)
    -Heavy hitter, can punish opposing players
    -Tackles low
    -Is not afraid to take on blockers to get to the ball
    -Good speed for his size (4.6-40)
    -Can run with TEs and bring down larger backs
    -Tough, has played through injury (high ankle sprain in 2008)
    -Improving in pass coverage
    -Intimidating, plays with great intensity

Weaknesses:
    -Gets out of position too easily
    -Does not drive feet particularly well when tackling
    -Has trouble changing direction quickly, may have difficulties with quicker backs
    -Was suspended in 2007 for academic reasons

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

OL, DL, RB, LB

pick the best guy for your system at any of those positions in the 1st, then keep doing it until you have 1 for each position.  They pick up a WR, CB, TE, etc both in later rounds and in FA.  I really think we need a OG over an OT, and I mean a real stud.  I'd even spend the 22 on it if he was seen as the best couple OG's and a good fit for the system. Vollmet, light, etc can still handle OT.  LB's are a huge need, and more than 1 as well, as AT is likely gone.  Mayo is the only LB for sure. We don't need 1 super pass rusher, we need a more solid front seven.  1 super guy would just get doubled if the other 6 aren't solid.  Wilfork does his job well, not by making tackles and getting sacks, but by tying up 2 guys.  If the other guys were good enough to take advantage he would look even better.  Did I here Warren's or Pryor/whom ever's name at all this year?  Defensive front seven and OL are this teams weakness.  BB and BP have always been successful because they build the front 7 and OL through the draft early, let them develop, and then sprinkle the skill guys on as needed.  The game is won in the trenches. Our trenches have been nuked.  Time to rebuild, especially the defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Adam Mankins at LG and the team is really high on rookie Ohrnberger, I think he starts at RG.  I also think Connolly takes over at Center, Koppen had trouble with bigger DTs and Connolly IMO is an upgrade.

At tackle we are not better, IMO Light is due to make too much money for his value.  He's either traded or released if there's not cap which seems to be the case.  Vollmer takes over LT and at RT you pickup a FA or draft one I tend to believe we draft one.

Here's who I think will be available in the second round:
    Trent Williams 6'5" 315 Oklahoma
    Kyle Calloway 6'7" 315 Iowa (would be a great addition)
    Tony Washington 6'6" 300 Abilene Christian (my pick, same thought as Vollmer)
    Charles Brown 6'5" 297 USC
    Selvish Capers 6'5" 295 West Virginia

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

mbeaulieu07  and Pats7393 have it right about Mathews.  He's the consensus
    4th best RB in the draft behind Spiller, Dwyer and Best.  Because it's rare for 4 RBs to go in the first round I see Mathews slipping into the 2nd.  Based on other club needs I do think he will be there at #44 and possibly #47 which would be a great value and need pick at either spot. 

If we want more of a bruising back we could hold out for Gerhart or Dixon at #54.  McCluster would be an interesting choice if we traded into the 3rd round.  He is a Darren Sproles type player in size and skill set. He could be a decent eventual replacement for Faulk as a 3rd down receiving back.  He's short, 5-6 but very fast and can play WR and on special teams.  Arenas could be an option too as a kick/punt returner and depth at CB if we moved into the 3rd.

If we wait until the 4th round, Ben Tate or Montario Hardesty might still be there at #117.  Both are 1,000 yard backs from big programs with similar size and speed to Mathews.  Given we have another year invested in Fred Taylor and Morris, maybe we should address other needs at the top of the draft and get one of these guys in the 4th assuming Mathews is gone at 44 and we don't target Best or Dwyer at 22.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Let me throw a little bit of a controversial idea, I know we do not need any character issue type guys but what if in the interview LeGarrette Blount convinces coaches he's turned the corner and will not be a problem? 

If he had not done what he did in Boise he would be talked about a 1st rounder not a 4th or 5th round selection.  If he's there in the third (pending we trade for a third) should the Pats take this guy?

6'2" 240lbs runs very well for his size, can turn the corner as well as running north/south.  i know the character issues are a big problem but could have that been the low point?  Will he be a better pro than college player?  I think he was a changed player after he came back from suspension. 

Your thoughts, talk about a possible return on investment pending he can keep his punches controlled and middle finger hidden.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Interesting comments on the OL, Pats7393.  I'm 50/50 on Light staying or going.  If it was a capped year, I think he would be released to save the roughly $4.5MM in cap space.  But in an uncapped year being one of the richest franchises, I'm not so sure Light will be let go.  He is the "Captain" of that line and although we get frustrated with him often getting beat by fast edge rushers, BB obviously values him because he won his job back even though most of us thought Vollmer was an upgrade at LT subbing for Light.  You can never have too much depth on the OL so keeping Light around one more year so you can address other needs is the smart play.

Logan Mankins will be tendered at the highest level as a RFA so I don't see him leaving until after 2010.  Neal is a F/A and is rumored to be considering retirement.  Kazcur just signed an extension so with Light, Vollmer and Kazcur on board through 2010 then Vollmer taking over after 2010 I've got to think OG is a bigger priority if we are to draft OL help early this year.

I agree the team is very high on Connolly and he did a decent job filling in at C and RG last year.  Mankins aside, BB tends to not spend high draft picks on the OL rather looking for value and to develop them from later rounds.  For these reasons, I would be surprised to see us go OL with our top 4 picks unless a consensus first round graded player drops in our laps in the 2nd.

For these reasons I would not be shocked if we waited on OL and RB unless a great value slipped to us.  Based on how I think things are shaking out I have to put a priority on TE, WR, OLB, ILB, and DE/DT absent any major F/A signings or trades at those positions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

First: 3/1/2009
    Last: 1/24/2010
    Adam Mankins at LG and the team is really high on rookie Ohrnberger, I think he starts at RG.  I also think Connolly takes over at Center, Koppen had trouble with bigger DTs and Connolly IMO is an upgrade.

I think Volmer on the left and Light/Kazur or the right is strong, but if they do trade Light then I will agree with you.  Connely, Ohmberger, and Mankins does not impress me at all.  I would love a huge LG to open the holes up.

RB's are not wise first round choices, especially if the OL is "suspect" unless you are very sure you are getting Adrian Peterson.  There are as many late round sucesses as their are early round busts.  Focus on the teams weakness on the defensive front seven IMHO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pats7393 I hear you on Blount.  Normally I'd say why not spend a 6th or 7th rounder on him and see if he has matured.  I might still say that if we haven't addressed RB before then.  One of the concerns I have is we have taken a chance on more and more "problem" players in recent history.  So far we haven't been burned but once you start filling your locker room with them, the character of the team changes. 

We rolled the dice on Dillon, Moss, Meriweather and Tate.  Stallworth fortunately left before he decided to play slolum with a pedistrian.  IMO, the team lacks leaders beyond Brady, Faulk, Wilfork and Mayo.  It used to be guys like Harrison and Bruschi and even Seymour would keep troubled guys in check and mentor them.  Those guys earned the respect of the younger guys.  Now with so few veteran leaders left I worry about bringing in a thug who punched out another player and was suspended for the whole season.

I'm with you on the idea of getting a first round talent late in the draft and if the interviews with the player and coaches etc reassured then MAYBE.  I mean if the event lead to a COME TO JESUS type moment in the players life and now he volunteers at soup kitchens and helps old ladies accross the street...