2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

The only predictable thing about BB's draft is that the pick would be a surprise and yet makes sense when you think it over.

Thanks to a fateful DUI,  we will get a steal of the draft in Carlos Dunlap in two days.   He is 6-6 280 and runs 4.59.  He collected 19 sacks in 14 career starts in SEC.  Suppose that he collected these sacks with 50% of his total efforts, how good can he be with his 80% or 100% effort? Before the DUI, he ranked as the top DE and there wasn’t a hint of any character issues at all. 

If I were BB, I would print this quote from Mike Mayock and tape it to Dunlap's locker:
    "In my opinion, he’s got a substantially below average motor. He only plays a certain percentage of plays hard. When you’re doing that, you’re going to get dinged pretty badly by the NFL." — NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

So I'm watching the hated Lakers while thinking draft, although I posted my last mock based on current picks here's my crystal ball mock with all sorts of trades with picks.  I will give a reason why a team moves up or down, hope I miss some picks in my own mock because I believe there will be a lot of dealing.  So here it goes.

#22 Traded Arizona, they need a OT and OLB here they jump Green Bay to grab Charles Brown OT.  Patriots get #26, #88, #89.
    #26 Traded to Browns, Browns select Tim Tebow.  Sits for two years behind Jake Delahommie. Patriots get #38, #71, #85, #160
    #38 Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190 good cover CB, adds depth and a solid run supporter to the secondary.
    #44 Traded to Chicago, they get their safety in Nate Allen Pats get 2011 2nd rnd, #75, #141
    #47 Alex Carrington DE 6'5" 285 good against the run and has a quick first step will put pressure on the QB.
    #53 Koa Misi OLB 6'3" 251 First move to improve pass rush
    #65 from Rams, Rams get #71 and #88. Daniel Te'O-Neshism OLB 6'4" 263 starter day one
    #71 traded to Rams
    #75 Ben Tate RB 5'11" 220 Patriots get their big fetured back, Tate has excellent speed for a 220 lb back.  Has the hands to be an effective pass catching RB and is an effective blocker, 3 down back.
    #85 Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 will be the RT of the future
    #88 Traded to Rams
    #89 Kam Chancellor FS 6'3" 231 won't bounce of RBs, reads the play well and has played CB SS and FS. 
    #119 Mike Johnson OG 6'5" 312 leader of an OL which helped win the national championship and help Ingram win the Heisman.
    #141 Blair White WR 6'3" 205 solid route runner, will find the hole in the D.  Good hands and blocker, high effort guy who should become a good NFL player.
    #160 Nolan Carroll CB 6'0" 204 excellent cover CB, missed 2009 with a broken leg if not he would have been a 2nd day pick.
    #190 A.J. Edds OLB 6'4" 246 Solid coverage LB, great LB to have in nickel or passing downs.
    #205(C) Tim Knicky OLB 6'4" 252 great speed of the edge, 12.5 sacks in 2009 and 15tackles for a loss. Speed puts him on special teams while he develops into an OLB.
    #229 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed.
    #231 Jeremy Horne 6'2" 198 UMass player, productive WR has the tools to develop into a solid WR.
    #247(C) Kade Weston DE 6'5" 316 good DT in college, has speed and power to play DE
    #249(C) Kyle Harrington DE 6'4" 290 UMass player, put up 41 reps in his pro day and ran a 4.94 40.  Very strong kid who has the speed to get pressure on the QB.
    #250(C) Jon Vanderwielen P 6'3" 223 higher % than top rate punters.  Here's a bit about this guy, projected as a UDFA but can't afford to compete with other teams for his services.

Maybe 17 players a bit too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

What I am about to say has absolutely NO factual basis, no research or anything like that. It's pure gut feeling based on enjoying what my fellow fans write about here as well as reading the same varied and many resources around the web.

I could see the Pats going up or down at #22 but only by less than a handful of picks in either direction. Up obviously to get someone they covet. Down obviously because the limited players they covet in that range are gone and the grades on the rest of the remaining players are the same in the next dozen or so picks so they try to pick up a 3rd or something next year with a trade down in the 1st.

At #44 I only see them potentially going up, again by less than a handful of picks. The long over night break and draft board reset allows them and potentially anyone else to make a move for e player that uncharacteristically slipped into the top of round 2.

Now my gut feeling is that after the 1st 6-8 picks in the top of the 2nd round, around #40, the talent tier breaks an its a new tier that lasts until somewhere around the middle 3rd round. 

So if I am close to understanding the perceived pulse on that correctly and i am the patriots sitting at #47 and #53 I am not sure if I have that big a difference in grade on a player at the start of that tier as I do on a player later in the talent tier. I could see them trading down from either or both of those picks.

Decisions, decisions...

I am torn in decision about how they approach this draft as far as quantity. On one hand the draft is suppose to be deep so that would lend itself to the argument of using a lot of picks because there should be a lot of good potential players and in crease your chances of hitting on a player as well.

However, the Patriots have a number of unknowns to us the fans. How do they feel about certain players. Tate as a WR, Bruce Davis, Shawn Crable, Tyrone McKenzie as linebackers, Bussey as a lineman, even Ohrnberger for that matter, Daryl Richard as a DL? Do they think Demoine Lewis is an upgrade over Jarvis Green or at least capable of maintaining the so-so status quo set by Green? What are their intentions with A.D.? The Patriots kept a lot of rookies lasy year and have a number of picks again this draft. The generally like to give a young player 3 years to develop. There are only a few vacant spots and even fewer spots where age is a problem. Will they cut bait with many of those young guys to make room for more unproven young guys? 

The point being the patriots might feel a lot better about their roster than we fans do and although the draft is considered deep they very well might package up as much as they can to go after fewer but more blue chip type players they covet.

It will certainly be as interesting, and somewhat telling in my opinion,  as ever to watch it unfold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    So I'm watching the hated Lakers while thinking draft, although I posted my last mock based on current picks here's my crystal ball mock with all sorts of trades with picks.  I will give a reason why a team moves up or down, hope I miss some picks in my own mock because I believe there will be a lot of dealing.  So here it goes. #22 Traded Arizona , they need a OT and OLB here they jump Green Bay to grab Charles Brown OT.  Patriots get #26, #88, #89. #26 Traded to Browns , Browns select Tim Tebow.  Sits for two years behind Jake Delahommie. Patriots get #38, #71, #85, #160 #38 Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190 good cover CB, adds depth and a solid run supporter to the secondary. #44 Traded to Chicago , they get their safety in Nate Allen Pats get 2011 2nd rnd, #75, #141 #47 Alex Carrington DE 6'5" 285 good against the run and has a quick first step will put pressure on the QB. #53 Koa Misi OLB 6'3" 251 First move to improve pass rush #65 from Rams, Rams get #71 and #88. Daniel Te'O-Neshism OLB 6'4" 263 starter day one #71 traded to Rams #75 Ben Tate RB 5'11" 220   Patriots get their big fetured back, Tate has excellent speed for a 220 lb back.  Has the hands to be an effective pass catching RB and is an effective blocker, 3 down back. #85 Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 will be the RT of the future #88 Traded to Rams #89 Kam Chancellor FS 6'3" 231 won't bounce of RBs, reads the play well and has played CB SS and FS.  #119 Mike Johnson OG 6'5" 312 leader of an OL which helped win the national championship and help Ingram win the Heisman. #141 Blair White WR 6'3" 205 solid route runner, will find the hole in the D.  Good hands and blocker, high effort guy who should become a good NFL player. #160 Nolan Carroll CB 6'0" 204 excellent cover CB, missed 2009 with a broken leg if not he would have been a 2nd day pick. #190 A.J. Edds OLB 6'4" 246 Solid coverage LB, great LB to have in nickel or passing downs. #205(C) Tim Knicky OLB 6'4" 252 great speed of the edge, 12.5 sacks in 2009 and 15tackles for a loss. Speed puts him on special teams while he develops into an OLB. #229 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed. #231 Jeremy Horne 6'2" 198 UMass player, productive WR has the tools to develop into a solid WR. #247(C) Kade Weston DE 6'5" 316 good DT in college, has speed and power to play DE #249(C) Kyle Harrington DE 6'4" 290 UMass player, put up 41 reps in his pro day and ran a 4.94 40.  Very strong kid who has the speed to get pressure on the QB. #250(C) Jon Vanderwielen P 6'3" 223 higher % than top rate punters.  Here's a bit about this guy, projected as a UDFA but can't afford to compete with other teams for his services. Maybe 17 players a bit too much.
    Posted by Pats7393

Ha. Good timing Pats I just posted saying they might do the opposite "maybe" and draft fewer. Doing a pats pick mock already makes my head hurt, predicting trades too will make it explode. I have no idea how many roster spots they think could be available comparing to their current roster.

One comment on one player i see you often put in your mocks. Like the player and have no issue with the Pats drafting him somewhere. However, I really can't get behind the reason. He had 10 sacks in 4 years. Don't know how his pressure/hurries come out but the sacks aren't getting it done. That's why I always say I see him as a draft choice to bump inside. he had great tackles numbers, is good in space and has pretty good speed. With no sack production though it's hard to get behind him as the choice for improving the pass rush.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Ha. Good timing Pats I just posted saying they might do the opposite "maybe" and draft fewer. Doing a pats pick mock already makes my head hurt, predicting trades too will make it explode. I have no idea how many roster spots they think could be available comparing to their current roster. One comment on one player i see you often put in your mocks. Like the player and have no issue with the Pats drafting him somewhere. However, I really can't get behind the reason. He had 10 sacks in 4 years. Don't know how his pressure/hurries come out but the sacks aren't getting it done. That's why I always say I see him as a draft choice to bump inside. he had great tackles numbers, is good in space and has pretty good speed. With no sack production though it's hard to get behind him as the choice for improving the pass rush.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I was bored, takes longer to make a mock trading down and getting more picks haha.

You are correct on Misi on his numbers, 10.5 sacks but I'm calling him a pass rusher?!  Well yes while I agree that might be a low number I also know not all rushes need to be a sack to be productive.  It also depends what type of offenses Utah D faced, do they run or pass more.  I still think he can come off the edge and be good against the run
    Nice little video.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245666?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

So I'm watching the hated Lakers while thinking draft, although I posted my last mock based on current picks here's my crystal ball mock with all sorts of trades with picks.  I will give a reason why a team moves up or down, hope I miss some picks in my own mock because I believe there will be a lot of dealing.  So here it goes. #22 Traded Arizona , they need a OT and OLB here they jump Green Bay to grab Charles Brown OT.  Patriots get #26, #88, #89. #26 Traded to Browns , Browns select Tim Tebow.  Sits for two years behind Jake Delahommie. Patriots get #38, #71, #85, #160 #38 Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190 good cover CB, adds depth and a solid run supporter to the secondary. #44 Traded to Chicago , they get their safety in Nate Allen Pats get 2011 2nd rnd, #75, #141 #47 Alex Carrington DE 6'5" 285 good against the run and has a quick first step will put pressure on the QB. #53 Koa Misi OLB 6'3" 251 First move to improve pass rush #65 from Rams, Rams get #71 and #88. Daniel Te'O-Neshism OLB 6'4" 263 starter day one #71 traded to Rams #75 Ben Tate RB 5'11" 220   Patriots get their big fetured back, Tate has excellent speed for a 220 lb back.  Has the hands to be an effective pass catching RB and is an effective blocker, 3 down back. #85 Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 will be the RT of the future #88 Traded to Rams #89 Kam Chancellor FS 6'3" 231 won't bounce of RBs, reads the play well and has played CB SS and FS.  #119 Mike Johnson OG 6'5" 312 leader of an OL which helped win the national championship and help Ingram win the Heisman. #141 Blair White WR 6'3" 205 solid route runner, will find the hole in the D.  Good hands and blocker, high effort guy who should become a good NFL player. #160 Nolan Carroll CB 6'0" 204 excellent cover CB, missed 2009 with a broken leg if not he would have been a 2nd day pick. #190 A.J. Edds OLB 6'4" 246 Solid coverage LB, great LB to have in nickel or passing downs. #205(C) Tim Knicky OLB 6'4" 252 great speed of the edge, 12.5 sacks in 2009 and 15tackles for a loss. Speed puts him on special teams while he develops into an OLB. #229 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed. #231 Jeremy Horne 6'2" 198 UMass player, productive WR has the tools to develop into a solid WR. #247(C) Kade Weston DE 6'5" 316 good DT in college, has speed and power to play DE #249(C) Kyle Harrington DE 6'4" 290 UMass player, put up 41 reps in his pro day and ran a 4.94 40.  Very strong kid who has the speed to get pressure on the QB. #250(C) Jon Vanderwielen P 6'3" 223 higher % than top rate punters.  Here's a bit about this guy, projected as a UDFA but can't afford to compete with other teams for his services. Maybe 17 players a bit too much.
    Posted by Pats7393

How many make the team?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : How many make the team?
    Posted by sfpat

haha well after I was done I noticed I had picked 17 playes which I think is probably 5 too many.  I'm a bit bias because its my mock but all players listed have the ability to contribute their 1st year.  Specially like the late round DEs/DTs.

No I don't think that many players will come in, that would be 17 this year 12 last year so about 60% of the team rookies/2nd year guys that's too much.

All 12 2009 draftees made the team, this year I can see 10 to 12 again with LBs a DE and then position players taken.  I do hope we get an OT to mold for that right side.  Another position is center, is Connolly be the center of the future?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Is 17 too many to make the team? Probably so, but it does not mean they should not draft that many. I think 12 is high as well, but I guess it requires looking at the current roster (outsider perspective) and understand who is really a quality starter vs. someone they drafted late to fill need for depth, or even current starters that perhaps should not start, that are career backups guys (Wright, Guyton, Ninkovich, etc.) and your situational guys (TBC, etc.)
    Then look at all the special teamers we have. Sure a lot of them provide depth/back-up at certain positions, but even that is suspect. Guys like Aiken, Alexander, Woods, Wheatley, Slater, etc.
    When I look at the Pats roster top to bottom, one word to come to mind..mediocrity. 
    Couple this with the great "unknowns" like Crable, Tate, McKenzie and this becomes a very difficult thing to figure out. 

I guess what I am saying is there is an opportunity here to trim away pieces of the current roster, and replace some of the above pieces with quality pieces we draft this year. I know rookies are unknown, unproven commodities, but I also think drafting more in the front of this draft should allow us to plug in and replace some of the above. I for one would like to see a retooling of the roster front to back. I know we are not going to field an entire roster of 1st and 2nd round picks, but when I look at the roster today, I see a lot of late round picks that are simply not that good. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Continued...

So, I think guys we have discussed on this board going to the Pats, guys like Pouncey, Graham, Kindle, Te'O, Misi, Alualu, Gresham, Gronkowski, Gerhart, DWilliams, etc. are all as good or better than some of the guys I mentioned in my previous post. 
    This draft is quickly becoming the most important draft of the Pats in recent memory. Hitting here will allow us to keep pace with things the Jets and Dolphins are doing...missing here will set us back quite a few years. No pressure BB. We are counting on you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Is 17 too many to make the team? Probably so, but it does not mean they should not draft that many. I think 12 is high as well, but I guess it requires looking at the current roster (outsider perspective) and understand who is really a quality starter vs. someone they drafted late to fill need for depth, or even current starters that perhaps should not start, that are career backups guys (Wright, Guyton, Ninkovich, etc.) and your situational guys (TBC, etc.) Then look at all the special teamers we have. Sure a lot of them provide depth/back-up at certain positions, but even that is suspect. Guys like Aiken, Alexander, Woods, Wheatley, Slater, etc. When I look at the Pats roster top to bottom, one word to come to mind..mediocrity.  Couple this with the great "unknowns" like Crable, Tate, McKenzie and this becomes a very difficult thing to figure out.  I guess what I am saying is there is an opportunity here to trim away pieces of the current roster, and replace some of the above pieces with quality pieces we draft this year. I know rookies are unknown, unproven commodities, but I also think drafting more in the front of this draft should allow us to plug in and replace some of the above. I for one would like to see a retooling of the roster front to back. I know we are not going to field an entire roster of 1st and 2nd round picks, but when I look at the roster today, I see a lot of late round picks that are simply not that good. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

I think 17 its too many to draft when there's little veteran players and solid starters.  I do think 10 to 12 will be how many players they draft and because you can find contributors well into the 7th round there's a good chance for all picks to make the team some might just be 3rd string and special teams but there are some solid solid players in the 7th.  IMO and have also heard it said by some experts, the 6th and 7th rounds this year are like 4th and 5th rounders in previous years.  Look at the TE position, there are guys in the 7th who will be the 2nd TE on teams and some could make a case to start.

DTs in the 7th, a guy I really like is the kid from UMass he can push to get some snaps at DE/DT this year.   Great speed and strong, will not be pushed around put up 40 reps.

So there are many many holes on this team but there are many players in the draft and post draft FA who will come in and fill those holes and improve the team.  Hey draft is a day away, we'll see how it unfolds but I'm also looking forward to see what UDFAs they bring in because they have found some solid guys who were undrafted.

I don't know if they put too many picks next year, remember they have a couple of Navy players coming off their Navy commitment a WR and FB those two guys were signed and belong to the Patriots.  Right there are two rookies next season.

Will see trades this season, won't be shocked if they make 10 trades before its all said and done maybe more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Do you think he goes completely undrafted? Its really so ridiculous, even if fun, to do a mock after the 1st. I mean Pats doesn't think Starks will be there in the 6th and really he's most likely correct which is why I said it was hopeful thinking but when guys like Guyton and Hoyer both predicted to be 5ths go undrafted... Well you just never know who will be there. Actually, talking about this just maybe me think of something.  I know we all have talked about the 3 day thing allowing for most likely more trades with teams having a break to reset their boards, but now I am wondering if those same breaks and board resets will prohibit fewer players from falling through the cracks and making it to UDFA status? Hmmm OK how about a complete 180 from zero to hero and take your boy Myron Rolle in that spot, if there?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

No, I think he gets drafted as outside of being a knucklehead, he does have a ton of talent and there are teams like Cincy, Oakland and now the Jet's that don't really put a lot of stock in character kids.  I just don't think he's right for NE.

I do agree that it's all up to interpretation of the individual poster as to where a player will likely land, in the end, none of us really know, but it makes for good debate. 

You're saying Rolle with one of the 6th rounders?  If he's available there, I'd be all over him!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

This is likely my last pre-draft mock, I may make a few small revisions on draft day, but I will likely just re-post this board when final pre-draft boards are called for. Trades: #22 to SD for #28 and #92 (SD selects Ryan Matthews) #53 to JAX for #74 and #143 (JAX selects Tim Tebow) Matt Light to CHI for #141 #28 Jared Odrick-DL-Penn State While he may not be the most glamorous pick, BB has gone with lineman four times in the past decade.  Odrick at this point is the best lineman-both offensive and defensive-on the board right now.  He was a solid pass rusher in college and should be a starter very soon. #44 Koa Misi-DE/OLB-Utah A great pass rusher, the best on the board at this point.  Misi should step in and have an impact on our awful pass rush on Day 1.  May start at OLB when the season ends. #47 Toby Gerhart-HB-Stanford The pound it out, break the tackles, power back we need.  He can churn time when we need him to-a major problem last year, and get the goal line TD's without fumbling like Maroney.  The Heisman runner-up will be a major impact player from Day 1 and the most productive NE rookie. #74 Andre Roberts-WR-The Citadel A deep threat opposite Randy Moss-exactly what the Patriots need.  BB likes Military school guys and Roberts is obviously one of them.  Good size, should be NE's #1 WR of the future. #92 Dennis Pitta-TE-BYU The ideal pass-catching TE.  He will be a perfect complement to Alge Crumpler and will soon become one of Brady's favorites.  Solid size, and great hands and route running make him a great pick at this point.  Would likely be a higher pick if his age wasn't an issue-he's already 25yrs old.  However, that maybe a plus in BB's mind as adults usually fully mature at 25-26. #118 Daniel Te'o Neshiem-OLB-Washngton An absolute beast pass rusher and a steal at this point in the draft.  DTN, as we should call him will team up with Misi to strengthen our pass rush, and make our LB corps one of the youngest and strongest in the league. #141 Donovan Warren-CB-Michigan 1st-2nd round talent.  Great size and speed.  Will likely slip to the 5th due to a ery poor 40 time.  What that means is that the Patriots are getting a steal and strengthen a solid but not great CB crew. #143 Tony Washington-OT-Albiene Christian Rather not get into his character concerns-one act is very nasty-but the Pats are getting top-15 talent here.  Washington will anchor the RT position for several years as Nick Kazcur can't do it and Vollmer has to move to LT to replace Light. #190 Scott Sicko-TE-New Hampshire A local star.  Sure he is a workout warrior but he is hard to pass up on at this point in the draft.  Should be a solid #3 TE and provide 20-25 receptions a season. #205 Joe Webb-WR/QB-UAB An Edelman type prospect.  Has good upside and at this point in the draft is worth the pick.  We're golden if we find the next Edelman or pickup a backup QB here. #229 Trevard Lindley-CB-Kentucky A 1st round prospect before this season, his stock plummetted this year, still in the 7th round he's worth a flyer.  He is solid overall-good in man to man, and has pretty good size.  Adds more depth to a solid but thin CB crew. #231 Zoltan Mesko-P-Michigan We need a Punter, we only have David King, a rugby star who has never punted. Mesko is the best P in the draft.  Match-I think so #247 Scott Long-WR-Louisville #248 Mike McLaughlin-ILB-BC #250 Matt McCracken-OG-Richmond
    Posted by titletownfan

that would be pretty amazing!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : How many make the team?
    Posted by sfpat

That's really been my point too.  I'm looking to get 6-8 guys that can make the team.  We should use the tradeable late picks to move up a slot or two to get a certain player.  According to my depth chart, the below positions highlighted are areas I'd like to see addressed.  I did not include fringe players.  At the bottom in red I listed a partial list of players who I could see getting cut or traded.  Patton could be added to the list.  Basedon this we have room for 7 picks to make the 53 man team, the rest will compete to make the practice squad.

OFFENSE 22 Players
    Slot24 Julian Edelman  PUP 29 W Welker
    WR Tory Holt22 Brandon Tate
    LOT32 Matt Light28 Mark LeVoir 
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 George Bussey24 Rich Ohrnberger
    C30 Dan Koppen28 Dan Connolly 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal24 Ryan Wendell 
    RT26 S Vollmer31 Nick Kaczur 
    TE32 Alge Crumpler  
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk 

25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss36 David Patton 

DEFENSE 21 Players
    DE 29 Ty Warren28 Mike Wright 
    NT28 Vince Wilfork23 Ron Brace 
    DE 32 Damione Lewis24 Myron Pryor
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain28 Pierre Woods26 Rob Ninkovich
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo25 Marques Murrell 
    ILB 24 Gary Guyton24 T McKenzie
    OLB 25 Shawn Crable 
    LCB24 Darius Butler26 J Wilhite 
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden25 T Wheatley 
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders  

SPECIAL TEAMS 3 Players
    PK26 S Gostkowski 33 Sammy Morris
    P  34 Fred Taylor
    H  33 Adalius Thomas
    LS24 Jake Ingram 35 Shawn Springs
    KR24 Matthew Slater 26 B McGowan
    PR  28 Eric Alexander

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'd be happy with this.  Not saying this is my final mock but what do you guys think overall once you see the depth chart?  I tried to not just reward rookies with starting jobs, they have to earn it so don't worry about where I put them on the depth chart, just how the team looks overall.

OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot24 Julian Edelman  PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#119 A. RobertsTory Holt22 Brandon Tate
    LOT32 Matt Light28 Mark LeVoir 
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 George Bussey24 Rich Ohrnberger
    C30 Dan Koppen28 Dan Connolly 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal24 Ryan Wendell 
    RT26 S Vollmer31 Nick Kaczur 
    TE32 Alge Crumpler#205 S. Sicko 
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk 
    #48 B. Tate 
    25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss36 David Patton 

DEFENSE 24 Players
    DE 29 Ty Warren28 Mike Wright 
    NT28 Vince Wilfork23 Ron Brace 
    DE#53 L. Joseph32 Damione Lewis24 Myron Pryor
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain28 Pierre Woods26 Rob Ninkovich
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo25 Marques Murrell 
    ILB24 Gary Guyton24 T McKenzie#44 B. Spikes
    OLB#22 B. Graham25 Shawn Crable 
    LCB24 Darius Butler26 J Wilhite 
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden25 T Wheatley 
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders  

SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players
    PK26 S Gostkowski 33 Sammy Morris
    P#190 Z. Mesko 34 Fred Taylor
    H  33 Adalius Thomas
    LS24 Jake Ingram 35 Shawn Springs
    KR24 Matthew Slater 26 B McGowan
    PR  28 Eric Alexander

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'd be happy with this.  Not saying this is my final mock but what do you guys think overall once you see the depth chart?  I tried to not just reward rookies with starting jobs, they have to earn it so don't worry about where I put them on the depth chart, just how the team looks overall. OFFENSE 25 Players Slot 24 Julian Edelman     PUP 29 W Welker WR #119 A. Roberts Tory Holt 22 Brandon Tate LOT 32 Matt Light 28 Mark LeVoir   LG 28 Logan Mankins 24 George Bussey 24 Rich Ohrnberger C 30 Dan Koppen 28 Dan Connolly   ROG 34 Stephen Neal 24 Ryan Wendell   RT 26 S Vollmer 31 Nick Kaczur   TE 32 Alge Crumpler #205 S. Sicko   QB 33 Tom Brady 24 Brian Hoyer   RB 25 L Maroney 34 Kevin Faulk   #48 B. Tate   25 BJ Green-Ellis   WR 33 Randy Moss 36 David Patton           DEFENSE 24 Players DE   29 Ty Warren 28 Mike Wright   NT 28 Vince Wilfork 23 Ron Brace   DE #53 L. Joseph 32 Damione Lewis 24 Myron Pryor OLB 30 Tully Banta-Cain 28 Pierre Woods 26 Rob Ninkovich ILB 24 Jerod Mayo 25 Marques Murrell   ILB 24 Gary Guyton 24 T McKenzie #44 B. Spikes OLB #22 B. Graham 25 Shawn Crable   LCB 24 Darius Butler 26 J Wilhite   RCB 29 Leigh Bodden 25 T Wheatley   SS 26 B Meriweather 23 Pat Chung   FS 26 James Sanders       SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players PK 26 S Gostkowski   33 Sammy Morris P #190 Z. Mesko   34 Fred Taylor H     33 Adalius Thomas LS 24 Jake Ingram   35 Shawn Springs KR 24 Matthew Slater   26 B McGowan PR     28 Eric Alexander
    Posted by Faucetman

That's pretty strong, I still think there can be improvements made at the overall roster.  I don't like the tought of going in with Butler and Bodden and behind them guys who have been a disapointment, I think they need to draft early 1st or 2nd a good cover CB.  Adding more depth at LB is a must not just starters but guys who can come in and add a rush off the bench.  I think there's room on the roster if you release some guys who you know are special teamers at best.
    I prefer to draft Sean Lee in the 2nd rather than Spikes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If we were able to get the guys right where CBS has them rated, it would be pretty solid for us.  See below, I'd take this.  The only way we mess this up is if we trade down and out or reach too far.

Top Draft 2010 Prospects -- (Updated 4/21/2010 1:26:40 PM)
    OVRPos. RankPlayerPos.
    11Ndamukong SuhDT
    21Sam BradfordQB
    32Gerald McCoyDT
    41Eric BerryFS
    51Russell OkungOT
    62Trent WilliamsOT
    71Derrick MorganDE
    81C.J. SpillerRB
    91Joe HadenCB
    103Bryan BulagaOT
    111Rolando McClainILB
    122Jimmy ClausenQB
    132Earl ThomasCB
    143Dan WilliamsDT
    151Dez BryantWR
    164Anthony DavisOT
    171Maurkice PounceyC
    182Taylor MaysFS
    191Brandon GrahamOLB
    201Mike IupatiOG
    212Ryan MathewsRB
    222Sergio KindleOLB
    231Jermaine GreshamTE
    242Jason Pierre-PaulDE
    253Kyle WilsonCB
    263Sean WeatherspoonOLB
    274Jared OdrickDT
    284Jerry HughesOLB
    294Devin McCourtyCB
    303Everson GriffenDE
    312Golden TateWR
    325Kareem JacksonCB
    333Demaryius ThomasWR
    345Charles BrownOT
    355Brian PriceDT
    363Tim TebowQB
    376Patrick RobinsonCB
    386Rodger SaffoldOT
    393Jahvid BestRB
    404Colt McCoyQB
    414Carlos DunlapDE
    425Daryl WashingtonOLB
    436Terrence CodyDT
    445Tyson AlualuDE
    453Nate AllenFS
    467Bruce CampbellOT
    472Rob GronkowskiTE
    484Morgan BurnettFS
    498Vladimir DucasseOT
    504Arrelious BennWR
    517Chris CookCB
    527Lamarr HoustonDT
    536Koa MisiOLB
    545Dexter McClusterWR
    1179Anthony McCoyTE
    19020Rahim AlemDE
    2051Zoltan MeskoP
    22929Kyle WilliamsWR
    2319Jeromy MilesSS
    24716Jameson KonzTE
    24812Shann SchillingerFS
    2502Aaron PettreyK

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

THIS IS MY FINAL MOCK DRAFT FOR THE 2010 ROOKIE CLASS DAY ONE Round 1, 22nd pick (or higher) DEFENSE: Brandon Graham DE /OLB (Let´s use our own 1st rounder in 2011 to get him + 6TH & 7TH + A. Thomas if needed) DAY TWO Round 2, 44th pick OFFENSE: Arrelius Ben WR (I´ll love to see him on the outside opposite to moss with edelman / welker in the slot) Round 2, 47th pick DEFENSE: Patrick Robinson CB (San diego, Jets, Bills, Miami, Vikings have great WR corps, this guy is gonna help us big) Round 2, 53rd pick (Traded for a 3rd & 4th draft picks) TRADED !!! Round 3, ¿? pick OFFENSE: Toby Gerhart RB (for those brutal games in the cold this season) Round 4, ¿? pick DEFENSE: Austen Lane DE (Nobody is gonna miss Jarvis Greeen this season) Round 4, 119th pick OFFENSE: Dennis Pitta TE (High character guy, mature & good hands & routes) Round 6, 190th pick SPECIAL TEAMS: Zoltan Mesko The rest of the picks will be trade to get 1 or 2 spots up in some round and with the compensatory, they´ll get OFFENSIVE LINE - WR - DEFENSIVE LINE. 
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

I like Graham
    I dont' think they get a WR
    Robinson is a good pick but will he last until 47?
    53 traded hope we get more than those two picks
    Toby will go in the 2nd round
    Lane rand a slow 40, IMO he needs to add weight and be 34 DE DANIEL TE'O is the man haha
    Pitta won't be on the board at 119

Like most of the picks but IMO they are not going to be around in the spot you have them in.  Austen Lane will be in the 3rd but he's speed is a question IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

What do you guys think of Albert Haynesworth for our middle second? Before you guys dismiss this as a drunken statement :-p (sobre! Its 3:45 pm, too early to get wasted!), Mike Reiss of ESPN says the following:

"If the Patriots can get Haynesworth for a second-round pick, I think they run to the podium to make that happen. Then you start thinking about a very impressive defensive line that includes Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork inside, Ty Warren on one end, and then filling that other piece with more of a rush-based end. That unit would be very, very tough to beat. I wouldn't hesitate on that one." [His mailbag]

"My personal feeling is that if you can get someone like Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth for a second-rounder, it's a no-brainer. Then you lock in on the 4-3 defense." [His piece with Tedy].

I know he has character issues but he could be a good pick, considering he is always in QB's face. The other aspect is that he should be flexible to play some nose in 34, a s we will not run 43 full time. Moreover, most of his monster contract is already taken care of by Redsking. I think he is owed around 11 mil for  the next two years.

Your thoughts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Peter King from SI has us taking Dez with the 22nd pick. With Holt onboard and Wes hopefully coming back sometime mid year, does it make sense to use 22 on a WR?

Assume for a bit that Dez had no baggage (he would go sooner I know), is his talent worth the 22nd pick as compared to potentially taking Graham, Pouncey or another player?....

If we did take Dez with 22, I would assume you would want him on the field come day 1...do we have room for Moss, Holt, Tate, Edelman, Bryant, Patton and Wes when he returns?....Seems a bit heavy. Assuming Holt and Patton make the team.

Imagining Moss, Holt, Bryant and Edelman on the field at once makes me smile. Replace Edelman with Wes when he returns and not even the Jests could stop us with Revis and Cromartie. It would be a return to the pass happy 07 days, one I don't hugely advocate, but interesting to consider.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Peter King from SI has us taking Dez with the 22nd pick. With Holt onboard and Wes hopefully coming back sometime mid year, does it make sense to use 22 on a WR? Assume for a bit that Dez had no baggage (he would go sooner I know), is his talent worth the 22nd pick as compared to potentially taking Graham, Pouncey or another player?.... If we did take Dez with 22, I would assume you would want him on the field come day 1...do we have room for Moss, Holt, Tate, Edelman, Bryant, Patton and Wes when he returns?....Seems a bit heavy. Assuming Holt and Patton make the team. Imagining Moss, Holt, Bryant and Edelman on the field at once makes me smile. Replace Edelman with Wes when he returns and not even the Jests could stop us with Revis and Cromartie. It would be a return to the pass happy 07 days, one I don't hugely advocate, but interesting to consider.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lol, that combo of WR makes me giddy. Three potential hall of famers in Moss, Holt and Welker, along with Bryant. I wouldn't take Pouncey . He apparently had a poor wonderlic score (according to Mike Reiss), and BB asks our OL to be really smart and their playbook is intensive with lots of technique based variation. I dont think he will do well, if he cannot grasp the playbook, no matter how talented he is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

What do you guys think of Albert Haynesworth for our middle second? Before you guys dismiss this as a drunken statement :-p (sobre! Its 3:45 pm, too early to get wasted!), Mike Reiss of ESPN says the following: "If the Patriots can get Haynesworth for a second-round pick, I think they run to the podium to make that happen. Then you start thinking about a very impressive defensive line that includes Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork inside, Ty Warren on one end, and then filling that other piece with more of a rush-based end. That unit would be very, very tough to beat. I wouldn't hesitate on that one." [His mailbag] "My personal feeling is that if you can get someone like Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth for a second-rounder, it's a no-brainer. Then you lock in on the 4-3 defense." [His piece with Tedy]. I know he has character issues but he could be a good pick, considering he is always in QB's face. The other aspect is that he should be flexible to play some nose in 34, a s we will not run 43 full time. Moreover, most of his monster contract is already taken care of by Redsking. I think he is owed around 11 mil for  the next two years. Your thoughts?
    Posted by bmadmax81

The change to a 4/3 gets talked about a lot on this board.  I don't see the Pats changing.  There's a reason why so many teams are going to this type of defense. 

On the subject of Haynesworth one of the reasons he and the Redskins are having a falling out is because they want him to play NT in the 3/4 defense.  He doesn't want anything to do with it.  In the end I don't think it would be a good thing for Haynesworth to be associated with the 3/4 defense in any way.  It's not in his best interest as a player and as a product. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Makes me giddy too, but I don't know how realistic it is. I get the sense that once the Pats acquired Holt, WR became obviously less of a priority. The problem is once Moss departs after next year, and Holt might as well, we don't have a strong crew. 
    But, perhaps the Holt acquisition is setting the Pats up to take Gresham with 22. I could see this playing out...WR need taken care of for the moment, sure up TE with Gresham who would be a nice compliment to that WR corps, and take a WR deeper in the draft to develop. This of course assumes they feel good about Tate, and Edelman contributing equal to last or a bit more. 

I have a feeling the Pats will go offense with 22 if they keep it, especially if Graham is gone. I can't see them using the pick on Kindle and I don't see any other defensive player at 22 that fits. Not sold on Odrick, Kindle at 22. 
    Sorry faucet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

auchhhhhhhhh, would be pretty happy with that draft for sure.  Wouldnt mind an OL pick somewhere in there, but very nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

thread has been great and informative…thanks to all who have participated thus far… 

here’s my take…

1st round #22: think we may trade down a few spots…possibly to #26 (Cardinals) or #28 (San Diego) for a 3rd round selection…assuming we stay @ #22, think any of the following would be good selections: Dan Williams, Maurkice Pouncey, Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson, Dez Bryant; Golden Tate…just not sold on taking a conversion type like Graham, Kindle and Hughes or even Jared Odrick with the 1st pick...so, i’ll say CB Devin McCourty narrowly over Golden Tate (based on likely availability) 

2ND Round

#44: DE/DT Tyson Alualu  
    #47: RB/WR/KR Dexter McCluster 
    #53: WR Eric Decker

so, here’s the first four and i’m quite sure i’ll be dead wrong… 
    #22 CB Devin McCourty 
    #44 DE/DT Tyson Alualu  
    #47 RB/WR/KR Dexter McCluster 
    #53 WR Eric Decker  
    other players i’d be cool with in the 2nd round include the following: 
    DE Carlos Dunlap
    DE/OLB Ricky Sapp
    DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
    ILB Brandon Spikes
    ILB Sean Lee
    WR Golden Tate
    WR Damian Williams
    WR Mardy Gilyard
    WR Andre Roberts
    WR Emmanuel Sanders
    TE Dennis Pitta
    TE Aaron Hernandez
    RB Montario Hardesty
    RB Ben Tate

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Garytx,

hello fellow texan...Bostonian by birth, Texan by choice..or somethign like that...

Anyhow, agree..more and more teams are moving for 3-4, and with that, comes more of a demand for 3-4 talent. OLB's, DE's, ILB's that fit 3-4 scheme are hard to come by as it is...add another 10 teams converting and having to build their rosters and the pool of quality talent dwindles considerably..
    Would it not make sense for the Pats to switch up to 4-3/nickel (nickel as someone said they play 40%+ of the time anyway and includes a 4 man line) as to widen the talent pool?
    It's just curious and I'm not the only one on this board that has commented on it, with the Pats bringing in (DLewis) and inviting more 4-3 guys (BPrice, etc.)...

What is the advantage to playing 3-4 over 4-3 if you don't have the personnel to execute it? My point is the Pats do not have the talent on the DL and LB corps to execute successfully the 3-4. They are shy an SILB, an OLB, and a true 3-4 DE. 
    Whereas if they went more 4-3, they could almost execute from day 1 with a little tweaking. 

Interested in getting your thoughts on this and why you feel so strongly the Pats will not be changing.