2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Garytx, hello fellow texan...Bostonian by birth, Texan by choice..or somethign like that... Anyhow, agree..more and more teams are moving for 3-4, and with that, comes more of a demand for 3-4 talent. OLB's, DE's, ILB's that fit 3-4 scheme are hard to come by as it is...add another 10 teams converting and having to build their rosters and the pool of quality talent dwindles considerably.. Would it not make sense for the Pats to switch up to 4-3/nickel (nickel as someone said they play 40%+ of the time anyway and includes a 4 man line) as to widen the talent pool? It's just curious and I'm not the only one on this board that has commented on it, with the Pats bringing in (DLewis) and inviting more 4-3 guys (BPrice, etc.)... What is the advantage to playing 3-4 over 4-3 if you don't have the personnel to execute it? My point is the Pats do not have the talent on the DL and LB corps to execute successfully the 3-4. They are shy an SILB, an OLB, and a true 3-4 DE.  Whereas if they went more 4-3, they could almost execute from day 1 with a little tweaking.  Interested in getting your thoughts on this and why you feel so strongly the Pats will not be changing. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

I agree. With most schools running a 43, all these conversion guys (DE to OLB) may or may not work out well. Case in point, Gholston. I won't be surprised if BB pulls a rabbit out of the hat and decides to go 43 most of the time, with 34 sprinkled in. Which would explain the signing to Lewis and interest in many 43 players like Price.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Call me crazy, I think the pats will try to play more 43 next year and try to get as many of there best players on the field at the same time. Banta Cain can play some end on obvious passing downs, Pryor at DT, Wilfork at DT, Wright on the other end. I'm going out on a limb and say the draft will look like this.

22. Trade down to 28, acquire a third. Select Brian Price (UCLA) A top 15 talent that drops this year do to depth and teams moving to the 34. Put him next to Wilfork and he'll give you 5 to 7 sacks. Take the pressure up the middle and be happy your getting it from somewhere!

44. Jahvid Best
    . Just can't pass on his talent at this point. Get the ball to him in the open field and defenses have to worry about him. I don't care if he can't practice all summer because of the loose head, I'll wait.

47. Ricky Sapp
    . Make him into Chris Slade. He can run with tight ends and has the height. I like him as a versitile linebacker that will take some time to develop, but he can move like one and he will help on the blitz. REmember the pats played the 43 with guys like Slade and McGinest at linebacker. Other options Misi, trade down for any outside linebacker that can rush a little and run with a tightend.

53. Arnelius Benn
    . Nice size and good production with a bad QB. Or Any wideout that has got potential to play outside to take the heat off Moss.

Third Round pick acquired in trade. Kam Chancellor. I like a big safety back there that can hit and play in the box. The height will come in handy in coverage and I don't think a guy like Merriweather will be around for another contract.

119. Austen  Lane. Worth the risk. Will need to get stronger but will play some end on passing downs until he gets stronger.

I'll stop there, I'm getting tired of typing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Low,
    I think I've changed my mind on the availability of Kareem Jackson at 44, while there's been a lot of talk about him potentially hitting the back end of rd 1, I think the possibility of him being around at 44, could be there. 

Looks like a great fit for their zone scheme, good speed and quickness, smart, experienced, SEC/Saban pedigree etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

With less than 24 hours till the Draft, I think we should start a contest.  Everyone submits their FINAL Patriots mock draft by 7:30 p.m tomorrow, once submitted, no changes can be made, barring a major development (i.e. NE announces a major trade before the draft).  We will have to go by the honor system with the "edit post" button.
    Scoring is as follows:
    2pts for Correct player in correct spot
    1pt for correct player, wrong spot
    0pts for wrong player

Feel free to propose any changes! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Gentlemen, I want to thank all of you.  I come on here every night and read your posts though I don't contribute much, and I have done this for two years now.  When I watch the draft, I really think I know the names, the strengths, and have my hopes for what the Pats will do.  Believe me, I like many of your mocks and think we almost can't lose this year.  I too don't really want to trade down much.  Pats, I agree with you, we have a lot of mediocrity that has been covered up with system, coaching, team play, etc.  I want a few real impact guys this year.
    I think we need to tackle better, find some big hitters, get a ground control running back, and rush the quarterback.  Faucet, what about that 6'3" with the broken foot you were ranting about?  Nobody has talked about him lately...where is he projected to go?  When you and your brother were both posting, I was getting confused but that's all right--he's from Maine!  Thanks again all...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Thanks goes to MB for starting this post. Looking forward to post draft chatter. 

Still like Spikes at 22? LOL..just joking. That was a lot of posts ago and a lot has transpired since. I encourage everyone to go back to MB's original post...the commentary is great. Especially like the one on Kyle Wilson. 

Funny thing is, I'm more confused as to what BB will do now, than when MB started this thing. I have a better sense for who will go when, but absolutely no idea what picks the Pats will make. If BB stays put on all picks I will be amazed. I think we are going to see movement, and players traded, possibly players acquired from other teams. This thing could be all over the place. 

Well, I should be on the road by the time it starts, but back in front of the tv about an hour before the Pats are on the clock.

Good luck and godspeed fellow Patriot fans!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I want to echo those comments. It's been great to talk some football, even if there were some huge disagreements on Tebow, Spikes, and areas of need. 

I can't wait for this thing to start! 

Thanks goes to MB for starting this post. Looking forward to post draft chatter.  Still like Spikes at 22? LOL..just joking. That was a lot of posts ago and a lot has transpired since. I encourage everyone to go back to MB's original post...the commentary is great. Especially like the one on Kyle Wilson.  Funny thing is, I'm more confused as to what BB will do now, than when MB started this thing. I have a better sense for who will go when, but absolutely no idea what picks the Pats will make. If BB stays put on all picks I will be amazed. I think we are going to see movement, and players traded, possibly players acquired from other teams. This thing could be all over the place.  Well, I should be on the road by the time it starts, but back in front of the tv about an hour before the Pats are on the clock. Good luck and godspeed fellow Patriot fans!
    Posted by PatsLifer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

can't mention everyone that has contributed to this thread over the last few months but thanks to all for some great discussions, arguments and good player information while keeping it respectful.  After months and months of player evaluation breaking down the roster ect I am as undecided where we will end up as I was back before the combine.

Thanks mb starting this thread, almost 4000 posts and I'm sure it will be over before the draft.  I am fortunate to be at home all day so if I hear any news (TV on NFL at 11 a.m. when pre draft coverage begins) I'll be sure to post them right away.

Good lock with all your mocks, I got my crystal ball out.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

GO PATRIOTS!!!
    See full size image

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats7393 selects with the #1 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft

Alyssa Milano

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It will be funny to hear teams that don't end up with the players they wanted leak to the media how this years draft wasn't as deap as everyone was saying. Or that there was just to many guys coming off serious injuries to truly evaluate them. How about this one? We know more about the players than you do, so if we didn't move up to get him, there was a reason why. Then the player goes on to the pro bowl as a rookie. I love the draft speek as much after than before.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks Boys!

I just posted a mock and it took off from there, I want to thank all the great posters for bringing their insight, knowledge an opinions to this thread, it definitely created some quality, informative football talk!

As for my original mock, haha, yeah a lot has changed, though we're still talking about a couple of the players, only they're rated much higher (or lower in Spikes' case).

Draft day is upon us!  Go Pats!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

to mb and every on else who took the time to post , thanks--I read every one hoping to gain insight and I certainly have!! I'm still hoping they pick that bad boy bryant. but think he'll be gone before #22  Please Bill use the many picks to bring in some quality impact players .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Hard to disagree with anything NEGAME says...so Kudos to this board, have read much and learned much. Question for all or any: with a fairly young team already(including 2 quality draft picks from last year who did not even play) is there any talk about the Pats perhaps trading some of thier picks for some high-quality NFL talent to address some of the specific needs that have been amply discussed here? Or is this draft pretty much rebuild year - Part II?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats07. Show tg19pats07's posts

I am a draft junkie and have loved all the debate and information passed on in this thread. hanks to all the people who somehow found the time to attempt to tell everyone about all the potential draft picks. My personal pick for 22 is the grahm from michigan, I do not think he will last though. I will look forward to the continued debates after the pats surprise people tonight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

#22 Traded Tampa they pickup Dez Bryant, 35, 67 2011 2nd
    #35 Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190
    Good press CB, will help add depth behind Butler and Bodden.
    #44 Carlos Dunlap OLB/DE 6'6" 278 This pick happens if he convinced BB he learned from his mistakes.  He has everything BB looks for in an OLB.
    #47 Linval Joseph DE/DT 6'5" 325 Big powerfull DL who has good movement for a 325lb man.  With him at RDE teams will find it hard to run on LJ VW TW. 
    #53 Daniel Te'O-Nesheim OLB 6'4" 263 I think we've said enough about him for most to be sold on him at this pick.  I think he will be a special one, saw an article where he says he has a reputation to uphold because he's fro HI, he said people tend to put those players in the tough and hard working column.
    #67 (From TB) Ben Tate RB 5'11" 220 Excellent combination of size and speed, can catch out of the backfield.  has speed to take it outside and size to run inside can also block.  Sounds like a 3 down back to me.
    #119  Mike Johnson OG/OT 6'5" 312 part of the OL which helped Ingram win the Heisman.  Has played RT and RG, good run blocker and also good in pass protection.  Adds depth at both spots, T and G.
    #190 Cole Pemberton OT 6'7" 315 Allowed only 1 sack all of 2009, the sack came against TCU's Jerry Hughes (lots of tackles gave up a sack to hughes).  This guy IMO will be a solid RT for the Patriots.  Running a 4.74 in short shuttle, not bad for a 315 man.
    #205(C) Sean Lissemore DE 6'4" 298 Small school, high motor guy who brings a nice pass rush and strengh to go through double teams to get to the QB.  Adds depth at DE/DT.
    #229 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed.
    #231 David Gettis WR 6'3" 217 good size and speed, catches everything thrown his way.  Has the tools to develop into a #1 with some developing and adjusting to the NFL
    #248(C) Dexter Davis OLB/ILB 6'2" 244 31 sacks in college, at 6'2" might be better inside than outside although he can certainly rush the pass as OLB.  Will be a very good special teams player at worse.
    #250(C) Mike Johnson ILB 6'3 250 instinctive player, plays well against the run and in coverage.  Smash mouth type player, one site calls him a 3rd/4th round talent that will go undrafted.  Ran a 4.65 40, can play both inside or outside and will contribute in special teams.  Can develop into a 3 down LB, adds great depth.  With this draft one of the weaknesses of the team will become a strenth, the LB group.
    #251(C) Jon Vanderwielen P 6'3" 223 higher % than top rate punters.  Here's a bit about this guy, projected as a UDFA but can't afford to compete with other teams for his services.
    "Vanderwielen, who redshirted and then did not play in either of his first two seasons, had 74 punts for 3,308 yards (the most in the nation), and he averaged 44.7 yards per punt, banging out 22 50-yard punts, forcing 24 fair catches, and pinning 21 punts inside the 20-yard line, including 12 inside the 10, and six inside the five. He set a school record with three punts of 70 or more yards in a season, and he tied a school record with two 70+ yard punts in a game..."

Must have UDFA 2 names, both local kids from UMass:
    Kyle Harrington DE 6'4" 290 Very strong, 41 reps at 225.  Has very good speed to come off the edge as a pass rusher and strength to hold up against the run.  Jeremy Horne-Murdock WR 6'2" 200  Good speed and lateral movement, does not have the production in 2009 that he did have 2008.  Good hands and ok route runner, very good returner.
    CBSSports "(6-2 1/8, 199) had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 4.15 short shuttle, a 6.80 three-cone drill"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This has been fun. I always thought I was the only one to get into the draft like this, good to see I'm not the only one crazy! Seriously it's been a good place to find some of the hidden gems and some really nice insight on alot of prospects. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wow today is ridiculous to listen to the pundits. They have absolutely no idea where some guys are going in the first. The rumors, lies, misdirection, etc. is out of control.

If you believe even half of what is being talked about there will be a ton of trades and moves in the 1st round even, let alone the entire draft. I think some of these late acquisitions by teams are even more indications of what those teams will "attempt" to pull off in their respective draft decisions.

I still hold ABSOLUTELY to my idea that there will be PLENTY of players we have talked about as not being there for the Patriots at their various picks that WILL be there and the Pats still might pass them by anyways.

The apparent hottest rumor out there right now regarding the Patriots is that they LOVE LOVE LOVE Pouncy. Purposeful misinformation? No idea.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow today is ridiculous to listen to the pundits. They have absolutely no idea where some guys are going in the first. The rumors, lies, misdirection, etc. is out of control. If you believe even half of what is being talked about there will be a ton of trades and moves in the 1st round even, let alone the entire draft. I think some of these late acquisitions by teams are even more indications of what those teams will "attempt" to pull off in their respective draft decision. I still hold ABSOLUTELY to my idea that there will be PLENTY of players we have talked about as not being there for the Patriots at their various picks that WILL be there and they still might pass them by as well. The apparent hottest rumor out there right now regarding the Patriots is that they LOVE LOVE LOVE Pouncy. Purposeful misinformation? No idea.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Mike Lombarti's top 10 mock has Berry at 4 and Kyle Wilson yes Wilson to the Browns at 7!  That's a heck of a jump.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats,

That is an interesting Mock. I agree the Pats need CB depth, and I like Robinson at 35. 
    The Tampa trade is also interesting. I would really like if the Pats could pull this off, pick up additional picks this year, and another 2nd rounder in 2011.

The 2 guys I covet most on your latest mock are Daniel Te'O and Dunlap. I think Dunlap is going to be very good, and he and Daniel will add a lot to this defense. I'm a bit skeptical about Joseph going this high as he apparently came out of nowhere. 
    Do you think Joseph can play RDE in our 3-4, or do you see him more of a 4-3 guy?...How do you compare him against Alualu?

Also...I'm going to be TVless for most of the 1st round...Does anyone have any suggestions (websites) where I can get instant draft coverage?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

It's been our best draft discussion EVER.  I've enjoyed everyone's posts and points of view.  Thanks to all.  Now I hope Santa brings us some great players over the next 3 days so that the Dynasty may continue to live.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The latest "rumor" that I've heard is that NE is interested in two guys at 22, the players aren't named of course and I have no idea of the validity of the info.  Zolak and Gresh were talking about it on 98.5 The Sports Hub......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Very Great thread with great posts. Especially from Faucetman, MB, LowFBIQ, Pats7393 and others. Who starts the post draft thread is as much a mystery to me as the draft itself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats, That is an interesting Mock. I agree the Pats need CB depth, and I like Robinson at 35.  The Tampa trade is also interesting. I would really like if the Pats could pull this off, pick up additional picks this year, and another 2nd rounder in 2011. The 2 guys I covet most on your latest mock are Daniel Te'O and Dunlap. I think Dunlap is going to be very good, and he and Daniel will add a lot to this defense. I'm a bit skeptical about Joseph going this high as he apparently came out of nowhere.  Do you think Joseph can play RDE in our 3-4, or do you see him more of a 4-3 guy?...How do you compare him against Alualu? Also...I'm going to be TVless for most of the 1st round...Does anyone have any suggestions (websites) where I can get instant draft coverage?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Thanks,

I think Joseph can play the DE spot, he has very good agility for a guy his size.  He's a guy who can play in multiple sets IMO, only reason I didn't add Alualu is because I think he'll be gone.  He is a very experienced 34 DE so teams will target him and is probably gone early in the 2nd. With Joseph on the line taking on double teams it will give Te'O and other OLBs a good line to the QB.

Last year I threw a remote when Connor Barwin was not drafted, I'm higher on Te'o this year than I was on Barwin I am clearing any possible projectiles from my man cave.

IMO there are 4 guys in the 2nd who will be major contributors year 1, OL and DL depth, developmental WR and a couple of good LBs late.  Weaknesses improved.

If TB say picks Berry over McCoy they can also try to get at 22 Odrick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

I am just thinking out loud here.

Why did we sign two 6-2 300 DT best suited for 4-3 in last two weeks?  Maybe this allows us to draft the best defense DE/LB players available, whether the player is suited for 43 or 34.  Brandon Graham or a properly-motivated Dunlap can play 4-3 DE right away without the risk of projecting a DE to OLB.  If we can get an Odrick and a Ricky Sapp we stay 34.  If we can get a Graham and a Price, then we will play more 43.  Just more options. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I am just thinking out loud here. Why did we sign two 6-2 300 DT best suited for 4-3 in last two weeks?  Maybe this allows us to draft the best defense DE/LB players available, whether the player is suited for 43 or 34.  Brandon Graham or a properly-motivated Dunlap can play 4-3 DE right away without the risk of projecting a DE to OLB.  If we can get an Odrick and a Ricky Sapp we stay 34.  If we can get a Graham and a Price, then we will play more 43.  Just more options. 
    Posted by TrustBill

that's an option, NE was also lined up in nickel close to half the defensive snaps last year.  As we all know that's a 4 man DL front, even in that front they found it hard to get a consistent rush.  Lewis is the answer to that, he's an interior pass rusher.  I still think BB like his 34 and needs to have that DE who can also be a DT in a 43/nickel sets.
    Looking at the schedule they will probably be in nickel close to that % again which is why I think CB is a most with the one of the first 4 picks.  After Butler and Bodden there are nothing but question marks, even Butler is a question.  Will he develop into the cover CB he is projected to be?  Hope so.