2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

BB is smarter than me, I figured out that the moves that were made hurt the team instead of improving it (trades draft picks 2006,2007 and 2008) I think he knows this is a make or break offseason.

Although I still think 22nd will not be kept I think he will look at his requirements and change to match more what the league has gone too.  We've had three bad drafts, 2009 is still TBD but it looks like our strongest in a long while.

Just because a CB is picked high doesn't mean he's a shut down corner, means he's more likely to be able to cover guys and has a greater upside.  It is extremely difficult to be a shut down corner when you don't have a pass rush.  I dont care who's the CB if they have to cover someone for longer than 5 seconds is all over with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

When the Jets traded up to get Revis, a #7 pick I believe, they didn't have far to go to trade up.  That's where you have to go to get these shutdown corners.  As for Davis shutting down Moss I think it has to do with other things.  The offense was pretty much one dimensional.  When you play against the Pats you try to shut down Moss and Welker.  You shut these guys down you win.  We have no running game to worry about. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

garytx,

The Jets traded up from #25 to #14 in the 2007 draft to get Revis, so it was a significant move.  We were picking at #24 and #28 in that draft so we could have made the move.  Instead we took Meriweather at #24 (which was a good pick) and traded #28 to SF which worked out grade since we parlayed that into #7 which we traded to NO for #10 and took Mayo.

I don't want to be too harsh on an organization that brought us 3 SB wins and a near perfect season.  I'm saying since 2007, we are clearly a team on the decline.  We need one of those CBs we took over the past two years to step up and be THE MAN.  We need a great draft this year and next before Brady is too old to challenge for another SB.  Not signing Samuel long term before things got ugly was a huge mistake.  Shutdown CBs don't grow on trees so when you have one, you keep him.  I see the same thing developing with Wilfork.  They will likely tag him, create a hold-out situation be forced to trade him, or agree not to tag him again (like Samuel) and then we lose a guy who cannot be any easier to replace than a shutdown corner.

I agree with Pats7393 , that draft years 2006-2008 were not good.  The best moves were trades for Moss and Welker.  Thomas was a huge F/A signing and not worth the money handcuffing our cap the past 3 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The Jets got Revis at pick 14 (a relative bargain) in the 2007 draft.  There was talk about NE being interested in moving up however that never transpired and the Jets moved up to get him, NE got Meriweather at 24. 

I also don't think that because a corner is taken in Rd 1 that he can be considered a "shut down corner", IMO the list of true shut down CB's in the NFL consists of one player, Revis.  At this point in his career, he is on another level comared to any other CB in the league in that he can completely take away one half of the field a la Deion.  These kind of guys don't come around often, especially considering the rule changes that took away a lot of their ability to be physical in coverage.

As for BB going after bargain CB's, I think it has more to do with who they drafted vs. when they drafted, there are quality CB's available after rd 1, they just need to do a better job of identifying that talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think we'll have shot at the two top CBs this year but there are two that I think could turn out to be solid starters.

I posted that I think Kyle Wilson is a Monster, maybe a bit too much credit but the guy is fast, great hips, instict for the ball, turns into a WR when the ball is close him thinks the ball is his, can also return punts had 3 for a TD is 08.
    I think if we can pickup this guy in the 2nd he'll be a great nickel this year and maybe a solid #2 in 2011 with Butler #1.

Another guy that I would love to add is a bit of an unknown is Walter McFadden.  He will not be a #1 but will be a CB who will make plays and break on the ball.  He doesn't get beat often (as Wilhite). 

Wilson in the 2nd McFadden in teh 5th would give us three young guys (butler included) who I think could be solid if they are giving some help with a pass rush.

I don't want to hear rookies can't do it, Miami started two #1 and #2 this year.  Getting #3 and #4 this year for us would be an improvement over springs and either of the two Ws busts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mb the practices for senior bowl are been shown on NFL Network in case you see this in time and you can watch.  They just showed the TE from Wisconsin and looked good run routes, only knock is lack of speed but accross the middle he'll do fine

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm at the office most days, so I'll have to try and catch the replay tonight.

Below are a couple of offensive guys I'm curious about, have you seen anything on them?

Sean Canfield - 6-4 215 QB Oregon State- protypical size, accurate kid, potential 4th rounder.

Ed Dickson - 6-5 235 TE Oregon- Needs to add some size, but he's strong as an ox.  He could be a potential H-back type that could line up in in the slot, create mismatches in coverage, athletic kid, good speed.

Riley Cooper - 6-3 214 WR Florida (yeah, I'm big on Florida guys, ha) big, possession type receiver who could conceivably an outside guy opposite Moss.  Good athlete (drafted by the MLB, but chose NFL), has a good overall skill set for a WR, can probably be had in the 3rd or 4th.  He may make it into my mock eventually.  I'm curious to see how he does against press/man coverage.

Jimmy Graham - 6-6 260 TE Miami- big, athletic former UM basketball player that could at the very least provide matchup problems in the red zone, competing for jump balls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Saw Cooper on 1 on 1 against CBs, he looked good went up a grad the pass.  Didn't recognize the CB, I think it was a missmatch.

They talked about Graham although Ididn't see him, Mayock is extremely high on this kid.  Didn't see the other two

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Cool, thanks.

Mayock is great IMO; I put a lot more stock in what he says vs. Kiper. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Me too, I think Kiper has knowledge of who the player is and who he plays for but as far as actual evaluation I like Mayock. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey Pats7393,

Great call on Wilson.  He is moving boards.  I think he will end up being a solid 2nd round pick if not higher by draft day.  See the below update.

01/25/2010 - Senior Bowl, Monday: Boise State's Kyle Wilson stole the show among corners. His 5-10, 190-pound build was stronger than most scouts anticipated, and no corner mirrored his man or made plays on the ball better. Corners knew what routes receivers were running early on, so Wilson easily stepped in front of a deep comebacks run by Gilyard for an interception. Even when the routes were changed up, Wilson stayed with the speedy Ford or any other receiver on go routes and comebacks. He also showed the strength to knock a short pass out of the hands of Pittsburgh fullback Dustin Dickerson.

Another CB I mentioned the other day that is also flying up boards is Donovan Warren from Michigan.  He is a solid 6-0 also with elite speed.  Right now I have him as a third but I've seen him on some boards as a late first.  Ideally we won't target a CB if we resign Bodden and BB thinks Butler is ready to emerge.  If we do, let's hope this time the guy is a stud from day 1 so we can stop spending picks at the position because we need serious help at WR, RB, TE, OLB, DE/DT, and MLB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

What do you think about WR/RB McCluster? If he's there in Round 4 it would seem to be a steal, but he probably will be gone in the mid to late 2, cause they praise him a bit at the practice right now. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

McCluster (5-7 165) is an extremely versatile and athletic player who displays great speed and explosion and is electric with the ball in his hands and had great production in the tough SEC.  He's more likely to go in the 2nd than the 4th, IMO.  I'm a fan.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

It sounds liek he could be the successor of Faulk, and in the meantime play special teams, and WR or RB where ever needed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A possible successor, yes, though I see Faulk back next year as he is one of their more consistent and reliable performers.

I'd rather see them target a lead back in the draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

McCluster should send Darren Sproles part of his signing bonus.  He's been compared to him and teams can judge how to use him based on what SD has been able to do.

This kid is explosive, they mention nobody knows right now if he's a RB/WR or exactly what but one thing is for sure this kid is a football player and extremely fast.

I think he will be gone in the late second and 100% doesn't get pass mid 3rd. 

Faucet thanks for the comment about Kyle, there's always 2 to 3 guys I set as picks for the pats and this kid is on top of that list.

So far here are my three must haves, Odrick, Kyle Wilson, Brandon Graham.  Graham won't make it pass the top 20 so I think I still have a chance of seeing Odrick and Wilson in a Pats uniform, Matthews would be my realistic third Graham again is wishful thinking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,
    I know you love Graham (I think he's a good player too), but I don't think he's an option for NE even if he makes it to 22.  He measured in at just over 6-1 yesterday, so BB would have to drastically change his height premium on high round 3-4 OLB prospects to make this happen.

I don't see how he passes on a guy like Connor Barwin and his ideal Vrabel-esque size (6-4 260) and skill set last year only to pick a 6-1 player this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Did you already hear s.th. from Wootton at the Senior Bowl pratice? I mean he is a beast and seems like he's available at 22nd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Heres a novel idea send Tom Brady down to the Senior bowl and let him evaluate the potential WR's and RB's and let him came back with a report on which ones are compatible to the Patriots offense. Then they should bring back guys like Harrison and McGinnest to evaluate the defensive players to see if any of them fit the Patriots mold,I think by doing this the Coaching staff can concentrate on improving their teaching skills and developing their specific schemes. I was a boy scout and the motto of the Boy Scouts has always been be prepared and the Patriots were clearly not prepared this past season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

There are two words I use to describe Dexter McCluster - Darren Sproles.

I currently have him as a middle 3rd round pick given concern about his size/durability at the next level, but I too love him.  We'd have to take him at #54 if he's still there.  I agree with mbealieu07 that someone will likely nab him in the 2nd.  If he ends up anywhere near as dangerous as Sproles, it would be a bargain. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I agree, McCluster will be a 2nd round pick.  He will also be a dinamic game changer in KR and PT IMO, he's just a guy who you need to have a #2 CB cover because he's so fast and alusive.  Forget about liningup a LB or safety on him he'll be gone!  I don't know the Pats will have the chance to take him and I would only want to if we've gotter a OLB, DE and maybe a OL.  If they pick a RB it will be a guy that can run between the tackles and push the pile.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It appears Riley Cooper has been really impressive during his first two Senior Bowl practices.  He's ran good routes, caught the ball well and has show the ability to seperate in man coverage, I believe he'll be firmly on the NE radar as a potential mid round option to fill the #3 receiver hole; I may be adding him to my mock (on post 1 of this thread) eventually.  I look forward to see how he plays in the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

mb,

Cooper is a big target at 6-3, 6-4 but doesn't have blazing speed but decent speed for his size.  I view him more as a possession receiver but he won't stretch the field.  He would actually make a good compliment to Moss in that Moss usually occupies the best corner and over the top safety help leaving a guy like Copper to be one-on-one on the opposite side where he can use his size and sidelines to his advantage.  He would also be dangerous around the end zone.  I don't think he will last much past us at #117 and his good showing might move him into the 3rd and out of reach unless we move up or back.

I view WR as a priority and would not be at all upset if we went with a marguis player with one of those top 4 picks but Cooper at 117 would be a nice spot to land him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucetman,
    Correct on Cooper, that's what I like about him adequate speed, good hands, uses his size and crisp routes to create separation in coverage, he's also an excellent athlete (drafted by the Texas Rangers, but chose football).  This team was clearly missing that reliable third option last year, IMO all they need is a player that can get open, catch the football and move the chains to take pressure off Moss/Welker.  Personally I don't think they need another marquis receiver (a la Boldin etc), though I see the reasoning behind it.

I'd rather they draft a guy like Cooper between rd 3-5 and pick up a guy like Mark Clayton in FA.  Solid yet unspectacular is fine with me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Cooper would be another option in one of our worse stats, red zone O.  We had problems scoring TDs when the team go to the redzone which was a streanth in 2007.  Another tall receiver opposite moss would be a step in the right direction. 

Combine him with Moss Edelman/Welker (when he gets back) and a good option at RB this team would improve their redzone performance.

Too many times we got 70 yard drives to end up with field goals.  I like Cooper, I think if we can't make a run at Malcon Floyd in FA Cooper would be that type of player.
    For a 6'4" guy he runs under 4.50 50 I think if he continues to show improvement with his hands he'll be on the rise maybe not what we want.  I was hopping he would be 4th rnd steal but that's probably not going to be the case.

What do you guys think about Brandon LaFell?  He's 6'3" 210 prediction is anywhere late 1st to mid 2nd.  I think he's a complete WR, can block run routes, he played in the SEC so he's faced good CBs.  He would also help in redzone scoring.