2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Lafell does appear to have the make-up to be a complete potential starting/impact receiver at the NFL level.  The biggest knock on him from what I've read is inconsistent hands, needs to do a better job of securing the ball before he makes a move, resulting in some drops.

I think he could've been more productive if not for inconsistent QB play at LSU.

I'd agree with the Rd 1-2 projection.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I live in the middle of SEC country (Atlanta GA) so I hear SEC talk all season long.  YOu are right mb, some think he got frustrated with QB play and how the O was been ran.  Still if the ball is close to you, you need to catch it but I think that's coachable and he could be a great #2. 

There are some other guys that probably will be available later in the draft that could be as good of an option.  I've been thinking we go after tall receivers but remember back to SB years and we really didn't have that.

If Golden Tate and LaFell are available at 47 lets say and the Pats are drafting a WR with that pick I hope they take Tate.  He's only 5'11" but has sick vertical I mean sick so he playes taller and has very good speed.  I think he's a natural #2 and would not take him long to learn the system BUT Weis takes him IMO before we get a chance at him.  KC need receivers, nobody knows him better than Weis but I would love to have Tate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,
    I agree, BB tends to draft his WR/CB's with a similar skill set.  Smaller, good short area speed, good quickness in and out of cuts and good top end speed.

I too would prefer Tate, as he's one of my favorite players in the draft, period.  The only question on him, IMO is his ability to beat press/man coverage of the line.  Personally, I don't think he lasts until 47....man I'd love for that to happen though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

My Updated Mock, I had us trading out of the first round but I'm changing picks and players drafted.  I have joined and leading two fan clubs #1 Kyle Wilson #2 Odrick, both are must have Patriots.  Here's my updated mock.

1st Rnd pick 17 Rolando McClain ILB Alabama  
    (trade SF for Vince Wilfork, they have a good NT but they are more of a hybrid D with even 34 and 43 sets.  They have 2 #1s and Coach mike s will move to improve his already good D, trade: VW for SF #17 1st rnd and 3rd rnd 79th overall)
    1st Rnd pick 22 traded
    (Trade IMO Mount Cody is still available but BB is not convinced, Jerry Jones wants Cody and gives us a call.  Trade away #22 for #27 and 4th rnd # 122)
    1st Rnd pick 27 (from Dallas) Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
    There's a chance by the time the draft comes around Wilson will be gone by this time but I think this is the right spot right now.  This guy will be our #1 for years to come or at least until end of rookie contract
    2nd Rnd pick 42 (from Jax) Jared Odrick DE Penn State
    If Odrick is not there look for Corey Wootton DE Northwestern
    2nd Rnd pick 48 (from Ten) Ricky Saap OLB Clemson
    This one I'm not sure about, not the pick is whether Saap falls to 42, for now I'm going to keep him there
    2nd Rnd pick 53 (assigned) Austen Lane DE/OLB Murray St.
    6'6" 267lbs, will be an OLB in a 34 runs good and is a solid pass rusher.  With Saap and Lane on board check pass rush as accounted for!
    3rd Rnd 79 (from SF) Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State
    We finally replace Laura, Dixon is a thumper who will not shy away from contact.
    4th Rnd 99 (from KC) Zane Beadles OL Utah
    Trade for Matt Light along with 4th in 2011, Beadles can play RG or RT.
    4th Rnd 116 (assigned) Cam Thomas NT North Carolina
    6'4" 331lbs
    4th Rnd 122 (from Dallas) Riley Cooper WR Florida
    6'3" 214 will help as #3, needs to work on his hands but will be coached to become a solid starter good size and speed combination
    6th Rnd Mike Tepper OT California
    6th Rnd (from Jacksonville) Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State

(trade for AD, I think I'm giving too much credit and getting a 6th and 7th 2011)
    7th Rnd Colin Peek TE Alabama
    7th Rnd Adam Ulatoski OT Texas

Who replaces VW, I think we go out to FA and sign a lesser talented NT but someone who is good at stopping the run.  With the improvements around him the D will be improved even without BIG VW in the middle.  I think this deal just won't get done.  Look at maybe the NT from the Steelers, he's 32 but can still play for a couple of years while our young guys develop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats,
    Personally, I think there is 0% chance that McClain makes it to 17 as he's one of the most dynamic potential impact defenders in this draft.

Also, while it wouldn't shock if me if they unloaded Vince for a 1st rounder, they better make damn sure they have a replacement lined up before doing so.  I like Cody, but he'd only be a rookie, Brace is an unknown at this point and I don't know how much Casey Hampton would want in FA.  I say they just give big Vince his hard earned money.

As for your projected picks:

I'm with you on Wilson as he's projected in rd 2 of my original mock on post one of this thread.  If he continues to play well throughout the post season SB/Combine/Pro-Day, I could definitely see him moving into rd 1. 

I like the Odrick pick, he's an ideal NE Patriot 3-4 DE.

Dixon is a masher, though watching an interview with him, he appears to have rocks in his head.

And you know I love Cooper as an option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I agree about VW, give him his money but it will be highly unlikely.  Another scenario I was thinking about is also with the 49rs.  They have a NT not as talented as VW but holds his own against the run.  If we can upgrade the MLB next to Mayo as well as OLBs a possible trade would be:
    VW for Aubrayo Franklin and a 2nd rnd.

Yeah I have to agree with you, he was the best left where I was placing a RB but have to agree he might not be smart enough to learn all the different blocking schemes ect in this offence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

bmad I'm not sure if there's one other than the team might not see the value for their return.  Vince is a great player and the D is better with him in it.  If a deal cannot be worked out then I don't think they wait a year to figure something out.

I think he's franchised and then traded.  There are a number of teams going to a 34 this year and would love to have him as their NT.  I say pay him but it is hard to imagine we will, will it be the 100 mil range no but I don't think it will be anything under 6 year 55 to 60 mil just a guess.

My concern as I was doing my mock I didn't see anyone that fit the same build as vince.  Yes the Alabama kid but I'm not too sold on him, I think once he gets paid he'll be happy and maybe turn into a Russell (QB Okland) I don't know why I think that but I do.

There are a few others in the draft but can they take over NT right away, I don't think so not even vw had success his first year.  If we can improve MLB and OLBs then I think we can survive with a middle of the road NT but we'll also need to add some good DEs.  The VW question has to be answered before any other IMO can be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Oddly enough, Aubrayo Franklin is an UFA this year, so assuming he's not franchised he could be had for money if they choose to not pay Wilfork. SF run a lot of 3-4?

In listening to Wilfork today, it sounds like he wants a long term deal at market dollars.  I don’t think he’s looking to break the bank, but he certainly isn’t going to take the “home town discount” or a below market deal.  The challenge will be to find the middle ground and I have no clue what that figure is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Franklin from a report I read is probably going to be franchised as well, SF has been more of a hybrid running mixed 34 and 43 but they are making a switch to be a base 34.

I would like to see what the market value is for NT in his prime, I hope it could be worked out but they might need to look at plan B.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I continue to read good reports on Riley Cooper's (6-3 215 WR Florida) performance over the first 3 days of practice at the Senior Bowl.  He's showed excellent hands catching the ball away from his body, has run good routes and has shown the ability to create seperation in coverage.  If he shows the ability to beat press/man coverage of the line, he could secure a spot in rounds 3-4 and could certainly be an option for NE in that range as a potential #3 reciver and outside possession guy to play across from Moss.

Myron Rolle has also received rave reviews both for performance and character.  He certainly looks the part and has of the charts intelligence, but he still has to prove to scouts/GM's etc that he's serious about a career in the NFL, he also didnt make too many big plays in his career at Florida State (1 INT in 3 years).  Stay tuned, on paper NE doesn't need another S, however BB has shown an appreciation for intelligent, high character "football players".....he could be a potential mid rounder at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

All the talk about tagging VW then trading him for all these great picks, ain't gonna happen.  First VW has to sign the franchise tender, remember Cassel last year?  If VW goes the route of Julius Peppers and holds out and doesn't sign, he can't be traded.  He could sit out the whole season and not be paid.  Or he can sign the tag which would be a 1 year deal averaging the top 5 salaries at the position.  At this point he could be traded but a team will have to be given permission to talk to Wilfork about a long term deal as nobody will pay much in high picks for a one year rental.  Trade talks can't even happen unless and until the player signs.  I believe Peppers held out and eventually got the deal he wanted to stay with the Panthers.  This Wilfork thing could become very messy and uncertain.  It is sure not to be resolved by draft day and I think that is why Brace was drafted last year as a security blanket - some security.

Bottom line replacing Wilfork with anybody is a downgrade at the position and will hurt our run defense.  It will further weaken a D line that lost Seymour last year and is likely to lose Jarvis Green this year.  Not good.  Let's hope they pay the man his due.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Kiper looks at Pats 2nd-round options

January, 27, 2010
    By Mike Reiss

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper breaks down team needs for all AFC teams and in the process identifies players who might be on the radar in the second and third round of the draft. The piece can be seen here (Insider content).

Kiper lists the Patriots' top needs as defensive end, outside linebacker, running back, wide receiver and offensive line.

As far as possible targets in the second and third round, he identifies the following players:

DE Greg Hardy (Mississippi)
    RB Ryan Mathews (Fresno State)
    OT Charles Brown (Southern Cal)
    LB Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri)
    WR Brandon LaFell (Louisiana State)
    WR Damian Williams (Southern Cal)
    QB Tim Tebow (Florida)

"The Patriots are set up for a huge weekend, with lots of high-value picks in a deep draft," Kiper writes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

I think N.E. will trade down to the tenth spot and pick cj spiller at ten letting jacksonville pick tebow at 22. for our second round picks we will trade one of them for a wideout either hopefully bolden or marshal although i think denver would want a first and a third for marshal but we do have an extra 1st next year from the seymour trade so why not. and then with the other two picks draft an outside linebacker and defensive end. take a 5th round corner and offensive lineman with the rest of the pics. we will get awarded either a third or a fourth copensatory pick for that purpose.

also be aware of a possible trade for julius peppers or jason taylor
    i also wouldnt be surprised if joey porter landed in N.E. we do like those aging linebackers

as for corners i think wilhite and butler will step up and player a bigger role, we will keep bodden, possible draft a late one or pick up a veteran

We should trade maroney , drop fred taylor injury prone and aging, give benjarvus green-ellis more of a role and keep morris and faulk

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

With Mays struggling to stay with receivers in coverage, what do you think of drafting him and converting him to OLB, he is a big hitter, and has the size for an OLB of BB's linkings. If he struggles the next few days too, he could drop to us at 22nd. And covering RB or TE should be doable for him.
    Mayock even thought about it yesterday at the practice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Mays has the size BB likes?  maybe if he adds 20 lbs, maybe.  So you want to use a 1st rd pick on a situational/cover LB, yeah that is a good move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Faucet Peppers didn't get the deal he wanted, he signed his franchised option and played under that last year.  If the Panthers decide to franchise him again it will cost them 20 mil this year which is highly unlikely even in an uncapped year.

You are correct, until VW signs that letter he can't be traded but it doesn't mean the team can come to him and say this is what we can do if you sign the letter and what another will be willing to do.  Offcourse this is against CBA rules but there's not one in place right so it could happen.

I don't want to see VW gone trust me, but I'm also under the impression he wants market value (look at Albert Hainsworth for that) based on that I don't think a long term agreement will be reached. 

As I made my mock draft I noticed there really aren't too many NTs in this year's draft.  I do not like the guy from Alabama he has too many questions coming in.  I don't think he will be dedicated enough to come in playing shape.  VW is the best option but I just don't think it will happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

He could play full-time OLB, is good against the run and will be a fast rusher.
    But I know there are still good OLB left so it would be a gamble.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ccusson12,
    I have a hard time believing NE would trade into the top 10 for a RB, IMO if they trade up it'll be for defense, specifically a guy like Rolando McClain.  They're also not trading the 2011 1st rounder for a receiver. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

akaitcho,
    I don't see Mays as a fulltime 3-4 OLB as he doesn't have the size to set the edge vs. the run or much experience rushing the passer.  He measured in at 6-3 231 at the Senior Bowl, so while he may provide some value as a safety/LB hybrid (similar to what they wanted to do with Tank Williams), he'd need to put on another 20-30 LB's to do as you've suggested.

I don't see BB risking a high round pick on a project (Mays to 3-4 OLB) who at his own position has question marks around coverage ability and instincts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

One of the best 2 round mocks I've seen but would you expect anything different from a Patriot site?

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2010-nfl-mock-draft-17-32.html

1st Round
    22. New England Patriots
    Sergio Kindle, DE, Texas
    Great 3-4 OLB prospect that is able to set the edge and rush the quarterback. Able to play 4-3 DE in nickel formations as well.
    http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=2091

42. New England (JAX)
    Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
    Wootten has 1st round ability at the d-line position and the versatility to play both 3-4 and 4-3 DE. Jared Odrick from Penn State would be another good option here.
    http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3401

48. New England (TEN)
    Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
    Ghee can really play. Should be a starter from day one with a physical presence. He has solid coverage skills and can play in press. Great replacement for Leigh Bodden if he doesn't resign.
    http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3341

53. New England Patriots
    Aurelius Benn, WR, Illinois
    Benn provides a real 3rd option that teams can't throw a #4 corner at. Should make Benn happy to go from Juice Williams to Tom Brady. All the talent in the world, but just had a horrible 2009 season.
    http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3930

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It would definitely be intriguing to see what Benn could do with TB throwing him the ball.  The kid looks like the complete package and potentially an elite receiver at the NFL level; the only thing holding him back was supsect QB play at Illinois.  I wonder how he'd slip to 53?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He might but not because of his ability I think it will be other players moving up in the draft.  He might be on player that could fall a bit, I agree this guys has all the tools to be a very good WR.

I think with a more catchable ball coming his way he'll be a very good #3 and maybe work into a #2 not to far down the road.  He'll be in the rotation at WR from day one, I still preffer Cooper but can't argue with this pick if Cooper is gone by 53 which I think based on his Senior Bowl (pending he has same production in Combine and pro day) he'll be early mid 2nd round.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What I think will hold Cooper back is his 40 time, he's probably a 4.6+ guy which IMO will cause him to stay in the rd 3-4 range.  I think he projects as a quality possession guy at the next level, someone who can move the chains, keep drives going, take pressure off Moss, which is just what NE needs.  His ability to get off the line vs. press/man coverage will dictate whether teams view him as an outside guy vs. more of a slot guy.  That's one thing I'll be tracking this post season.

Benn on the other hand is probably a 4.4 guy, with his combination of speed/size and skill set he projects to more of a #1 or #2 type receiver.  If they target him in the draft I think they're looking to groom him as Moss' eventual successor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What are your thoughts on Kindle as a rd 1 pick?  If his 6-4 255 height/weight is accurate, he would certainly appear to have the size to set the edge vs the run, however he doesn't appear to have elite pass rush skills generating only 16 sacks over his 4 year career though they all came in the past 2 years (10 in 2008 and 6 in 2009).  My question is, is he really the potential pass rush threat that could put this team over the top?  I'm not looking for them to draft a 3-4 OLB high just to draft one.  If this type of player isn't avaible in the first couple rounds, I'd be ok with them taking a lesser heralded prospect in the middle rounds to address the need (Cunningham, Misi, Witten, Edds etc).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

He has a decent 40 so the pass rush skills should be coachable.
    But I'd rather take Griffin than him if they are both available although its very unlikely.
    Or Graham in the 2nd and and Wilson in the first.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the Idea to trade our first for TB's 35th and 67th overallpicks or for KC's 36th and 69th picks. Why? The draft has such a depth that it doesn't really matter as much to have a first than in other years.