2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none

"Laz I really think 9 of 10  of your posts are right on I hope this is one of them."

Thanx homey...I'm actually very appreciative of that compliment.  And whoremaster, I set something up for those who judged that NE's Draft was sub-par because of their vast knowledge of ESPN's draft coverage with Mel Kiper, I started a post for those fellas...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none

Laz, 
    I don't post very often, although I read this daily. Sometimes I don't always follow your ramblings ("ramblings" in a good way ) I hear you... Amen Brother!
    But I do agree the PATS HAD A GOOD DRAFT. The only question is durability on some picks.. Thanks for so often being the voice of reason, even in the Sanitarium. 
     You help keep me sane. 
    ASOB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Laz,

Right on. Couldn't agree more. Great assessment!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none:
    Laz,  I don't post very often, although I read this daily. Sometimes I don't always follow your ramblings ("ramblings" in a good way ) I hear you... Amen Brother! But I do agree the PATS HAD A GOOD DRAFT. The only question is durability on some picks.. Thanks for so often being the voice of reason, even in the Sanitarium.   You help keep me sane.  ASOB.
    Posted by ASO9771

ASO9771...Lmao, Do NOT sell yourself short like that, Considering by what you stated in your first line ALONE, You HAVE been reading this board daily.  But lol, See WHY don't you post more?  IF I have hoped to teach this forum's members anything whatsoever, it's that:  NO thought is too trivial, meaningless, strange, OR pointless, NOT to share it with the rest of the world publicly.  I trully believe this, in my heart of hearts.  Just like today, when I went over my parents house in order to help pops load wood pellets into his truck.  When we were done with the job, My Father asked me, "Do you wanna go get an ice cream cone somewhere?"  And I said, "Can I get a milk shake instead?"  And he replied, "Jesus, I don't give a sh^t."  To which I said, "I was first thinking Chocolate, but then I said to myself, 'No WAY...Vanilla this time ole buddy'."  "Hey, why ya rollin' your eyes," I added, "I mean, the logical question from you would have been 'What made you change your mind on the chocolate shake?'"  But he didn't say anything else...my dad's so weird.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Laz Im gonna take the counter point for you on this draft. The only 2 selections as ok are DM and Zoltan. I dont like a TE that hasnt played in a year and had serious back surgery. (I hope for this kids sake he's ok, but in all seriousness no one ever recovers 100 percent from a back surgery let alone football players, and what it does to the mind)
    Again all the stats in college mean amost nothing when you go to the Pro's, its a matter of courage and wanting to play that lead the way before talent. With that said I see this draft as less sucessful as last years, and I think the Patriots are in trouble, it happens to every champion unless you make the correct moves. THe draft wont cover the fact that BB last year had issues with coaching calls, penalties, clock management and team moral. There is still a question of a very weak secondary, a poor LB core and very poor tackling, then still no good runningbacks, and weak spots in the offensive line. I hope this turns out well for the Patriots but Im a realist and I dont see that happening here. This is going to be the make or break year for them.
    God Bless and Good night

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none:
    Laz Im gonna take the counter point for you on this draft. The only 2 selections as ok are DM and Zoltan. I dont like a TE that hasnt played in a year and had serious back surgery. (I hope for this kids sake he's ok, but in all seriousness no one ever recovers 100 percent from a back surgery let alone football players, and what it does to the mind) Again all the stats in college mean amost nothing when you go to the Pro's, its a matter of courage and wanting to play that lead the way before talent. With that said I see this draft as less sucessful as last years, and I think the Patriots are in trouble, it happens to every champion unless you make the correct moves. THe draft wont cover the fact that BB last year had issues with coaching calls, penalties, clock management and team moral. There is still a question of a very weak secondary, a poor LB core and very poor tackling, then still no good runningbacks, and weak spots in the offensive line. I hope this turns out well for the Patriots but Im a realist and I dont see that happening here. This is going to be the make or break year for them. God Bless and Good night
    Posted by Wendylee03

Tell me again how many SB your team has won?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

No question about it.  A very good draft.  The only thing missing was the RB pick I was wanting.  There was only one pass rusher in this draft that I wanted and that was Graham.  My hopes are Cunningham comes through.  Although I don't know much about Cunningham, which is probably my problem on the pash rush issue, I know others with more expertise on this board are very big on this kid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Laz Im gonna take the counter point for you on this draft. The only 2 selections as ok are DM and Zoltan. I dont like a TE that hasnt played in a year and had serious back surgery. (I hope for this kids sake he's ok, but in all seriousness no one ever recovers 100 percent from a back surgery let alone football players, and what it does to the mind) Again all the stats in college mean amost nothing when you go to the Pro's, its a matter of courage and wanting to play that lead the way before talent. With that said I see this draft as less sucessful as last years, and I think the Patriots are in trouble, it happens to every champion unless you make the correct moves. THe draft wont cover the fact that BB last year had issues with coaching calls, penalties, clock management and team moral. There is still a question of a very weak secondary, a poor LB core and very poor tackling, then still no good runningbacks, and weak spots in the offensive line. I hope this turns out well for the Patriots but Im a realist and I dont see that happening here. This is going to be the make or break year for them. God Bless and Good night
    Posted by Wendylee03

Ah Wendy!

Holes in the secondary? Did you even see the draft? The Pats picked up the best CB in this years draft. And where did you read that any of the Pats draft picks didn't love to play football or were cowards with no heart? Everything I've read about them say's the exact opposite. You also seem to be forgetting that the person most responsible for a few of your concerns is no longer with the team and that would be Dean Pees. One last thing, in BB's world, every year is make or break. So cheer up, the Pat's aren't nearly as awful as you are making them out to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Colt fan here.  I have to admit that I didn't read much of the post (I have plans this afternoon, and it would have taken me at least that long!), but I definitely agree with his general sentiment.  The last three or four drafts for the Pats have been bad, and I've recognized them as such immediately.  But this draft is definitely better.  McCourtey may not be a sexy pick, but he's a safe one who will definitely be an upgrade over the crap you've had playing CB recently.  He and Bodden should be a good tandem in time.  And any concern about the Gronk's health is mitigated by the fact that you picked up another good TE in Hernandez later on.  Cunningham and Price were good picks.  In general, I think you stayed on task and addressed your needs well.  The only player I really had to snicker at was Spikes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I  hope your right about Cunningham and Spikes. There's alot of film out there on Spikes and I watched too much of it. What I saw was a big guy that doesn't have the quickness to make plays sideways or backwards. He looked like he was hanging on for dear life, completely outmatched athleticaly. His production dropped alot every year in the program and you can't hide the fact he ran a 5.0 40. Hopefully he'll be a good fit as a thumper in the 34 and not get exposed with Mayo next to him, but no way he could have played in the middle of a 43 in the NFL.

As for Cunningham, I watched alot of him before the draft as well because he had the measurables of an outside guy that we need. Was not impressed with him, he played on a very talented defense and to me was not applying enough pressure in the games I watched. There was about 15 of these types in the draft and honestly I was shocked they choose this one. Worilids, Graham, Kindle, Gibson, Sapp, Teo, Griffen, all looked as good to me and could of been had later.

Loved the tight end picks and price looks like a faster David Givens that may be able to play on the outside. Nice value with the corner at the end of round one and did  a nice job getting additional picks this year and next. All in all, hope I'm wrong and probably am, Bill I'm sure is more qualified to evaluate outside linebackers than me! LOL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

the only think i disagree with Laz is that i love the Taylor Price pick.  the kid is a burner who can learn to become a better route runner while he's here in new england. when you take moss and holt out of the WR corp (next year) the kid could be a legitimate #1/#2 reciever. he's that fast. he is underrated because he went to ohio university and didnt really have anyone worth while to dish him the ball.

other than that i totally agree with the rest of your analysis. great team guys without falling short with on field ability. great first two rounds.

ready for rookie camp.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajmonaco1976. Show ajmonaco1976's posts

Not sure how you can say that a man who has won 3 Super Bowls is not doing a good job.  Sure the game changes and you are faced with obstacles but this guy has his team competing every week and a top NFL team year in and year out.  I have to agree with Laz's post and think it was a good draft.  I also have to disagree with your position that being a good player in college does not translate well into the NFL.  I think that there is a lot of truth to looking at some of these top players and see who takes plays off or does not give 100% on each play.  Take a look at one of our best LBs ever, Teddy Bruschi.  He played at 100% and was overlooked coming out of Arizona.  But he turned into a great pro.  Because he had that fire in his belly and played at 100% all the time.  I think that speaks volumes.  And being a leader on your team says a lot too.  I do agree that you need some talent to go along with that leadership and it cannot be leadership alone.  However I like Laz's analysis and think that if you move past the talking heads(Kyper, etc) you can see what a good draft this is.  To me, Kyper does a good job identifying the top college players.  However, he does not do a good job projecting their ability to be good pros.  He merely looks at the top players in college ball.  That is apples and oranges compared to projecting who will be a good pro.  

Posted by Wendylee03

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

So . . .   when you say "clout," are you talking about a severe blow to the head or an inefficient rag?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Not sure how you can say that a man who has won 3 Super Bowls is not doing a good job.  Sure the game changes and you are faced with obstacles but this guy has his team competing every week and a top NFL team year in and year out.  I have to agree with Laz's post and think it was a good draft.  I also have to disagree with your position that being a good player in college does not translate well into the NFL.  I think that there is a lot of truth to looking at some of these top players and see who takes plays off or does not give 100% on each play.  Take a look at one of our best LBs ever, Teddy Bruschi.  He played at 100% and was overlooked coming out of Arizona.  But he turned into a great pro.  Because he had that fire in his belly and played at 100% all the time.  I think that speaks volumes.  And being a leader on your team says a lot too.  I do agree that you need some talent to go along with that leadership and it cannot be leadership alone.  However I like Laz's analysis and think that if you move past the talking heads(Kyper, etc) you can see what a good draft this is.  To me, Kyper does a good job identifying the top college players.  However, he does not do a good job projecting their ability to be good pros.  He merely looks at the top players in college ball.  That is apples and oranges compared to projecting who will be a good pro.   In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none :
    Posted by ajmonaco1976

I would also add that he does not do a good job projecting to a specific team and their style of play.  Mathews for example, was great last year, nothing says he would have done as well on our team.  Different Ds have diff requirements.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

For what it's worth, the Pats were the only AFC team to get an "A" grade from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle (Seattle also got an "A").

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

CLINIC!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none : Ah Wendy! Holes in the secondary? Did you even see the draft? The Pats picked up the best CB in this years draft. And where did you read that any of the Pats draft picks didn't love to play football or were cowards with no heart? Everything I've read about them say's the exact opposite. You also seem to be forgetting that the person most responsible for a few of your concerns is no longer with the team and that would be Dean Pees. One last thing, in BB's world, every year is make or break. So cheer up, the Pat's aren't nearly as awful as you are making them out to be.
    Posted by rtuinila

First I never said they were awful, I said they are on a decline. Second the CB they picked has yet to play in the Pro's and from what you are saying will be able to cover evey play? One man does not a team make! Third I never said they players dont have heart or courage, I said to play in the NFL where up to 70 percent of the draft dont make it courage and heart come first then talent. Isnt it funny how people take what is said and turn it to what they think lol. Also Pees was not the problem with the play clock blunders, lack of moral or the offense, nor the selection of players. As I said, time will tell. Have a great day

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none : Tell me again how many SB your team has won?
    Posted by fourjays30

First I dont own a team but "my" team is the Patriots to cheer for. Second, it seems you like to live in the past which is fine if that's what you like. You have a great day

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Not sure how you can say that a man who has won 3 Super Bowls is not doing a good job.  Sure the game changes and you are faced with obstacles but this guy has his team competing every week and a top NFL team year in and year out.  I have to agree with Laz's post and think it was a good draft.  I also have to disagree with your position that being a good player in college does not translate well into the NFL.  I think that there is a lot of truth to looking at some of these top players and see who takes plays off or does not give 100% on each play.  Take a look at one of our best LBs ever, Teddy Bruschi.  He played at 100% and was overlooked coming out of Arizona.  But he turned into a great pro.  Because he had that fire in his belly and played at 100% all the time.  I think that speaks volumes.  And being a leader on your team says a lot too.  I do agree that you need some talent to go along with that leadership and it cannot be leadership alone.  However I like Laz's analysis and think that if you move past the talking heads(Kyper, etc) you can see what a good draft this is.  To me, Kyper does a good job identifying the top college players.  However, he does not do a good job projecting their ability to be good pros.  He merely looks at the top players in college ball.  That is apples and oranges compared to projecting who will be a good pro.   In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none :
    Posted by ajmonaco1976

That would be like saying, just because someone 5 years ago won a race he's now always going to win no matter what. I never said BB is doing a bad job, I said he is slipping and taken on too much and spread himself too thin. Case in point most of last year every week Tom Brady complained about no leadership, other players comming forward and voicing opinions, games with bad clock management, overwhelming penalties, I could go on. What that says to me is something is very wrong and with that you start at the top. I hope for these new players to be excellent but as any ohter human with my own eyes I just dont see that as going to happen. You can have the best mind and the best buisness man on the planet, but without the proper staff to carry out the plans it just wont work. I hope you are correct and this turns out excellent for the Patriots but again, I just dont see it. Have a great day

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't think you understand the Hernandez move because you're looking at him as a traditional tight end.

I doubt with Gronk and Crumpler on the roster that he'll spend much if any time lined up on the line of scrimmage.  Hernandez will probably be set as a flanker and put in motion to force teams to cover him with strong safeties or else abuse linebackers in speed and agility mismatches.  He'll also be the new guy now that Watson is gone to play de-facto fullback in none-short-yardage situations.  Basically I'm viewing Hernandez as an H-Back, which makes his size and skillset more acceptable.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none : I think the decline was the last 2 years.  They had to replace like 5 Pro Bowlers in 2 seasons (Samuel in 2008) and Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour and Vrabel in 2009.  Can you name me another team that rebuilds on the fly and wins divisions? Indianpolis is the only one you can list, but they don't maneuver as much in FA and they certainly don't have Pro Bowlers at that amount leaving their at once. And finally, no one raide their scouting or coaching staff to the degree NE has had. So, really, NE is the only team that has lost that much on defense and can still reel off 10-11 wins.  I won't even mention how many points they left on the field in second halves which could have easily put them at 13-3 and 14-2 last year. Even more impressive. The simple fact BB leads a team to 11 wins with a back up QB and wins a division while inserting 5 new defensive players to replace 5 Pro Bowler type players is incredible. It's just completely unrealistic and irrational to expect any coach in the cap era to immediately have Pro Bowl quality, veteran 3-4 complex D replacmenets, overight. The Pats offense, as inconsistent and unbalanced as it was, was a #3 ranked offense. Also, their healthy was apparently a huge problem all year. Not an excuse, but let's be honest health is absolutely crucial to any NFL team's chances. I'll tell you why they are NOT on a decline, but on an upswing that will stun the general public and the jealous fans of other teams that also WANT to believe this: Look at the Seattle Seahawks. Awful division, rebuilding and they can't even beat out the SF 49ers for second place. That's what happens when a good organization rebuilds.  You STINK for a few years or more. Well, not here.  You take some lumps, get some young players some experience and win divisions while having some nice drafts and cheap FA signings. BB and Tom Brady are by FAR AND AWAY the best coach and QB combo in the NFL. This is why this team avoids going on a decline.  Have a great day.
    Posted by russgriswold
    Thank you, Russ.
    Great post.  The ability to be CONSISTENT in the NFL is unparallelled.  BB is transitioining our D from one of the Oldest to one of the Youngest in 2 years while winning 21 games.  I want 4 more Lombardi's like anyone else does, but that's incredible.

You know what ELSE is incredible?  Having two 1's and two 2's in next years rookie capped draft.  In 2-3 years, this team could make the '01-07 Pats look like the Rams.

In.  Bill.  We.  Trust.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Patriots Draft=BEST New England Draft in 5 years...bare minimum & bar none : I think the decline was the last 2 years.  They had to replace like 5 Pro Bowlers in 2 seasons (Samuel in 2008) and Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour and Vrabel in 2009.  Can you name me another team that rebuilds on the fly and wins divisions? Indianpolis is the only one you can list, but they don't maneuver as much in FA and they certainly don't have Pro Bowlers at that amount leaving their at once. And finally, no one raide their scouting or coaching staff to the degree NE has had. So, really, NE is the only team that has lost that much on defense and can still reel off 10-11 wins.  I won't even mention how many points they left on the field in second halves which could have easily put them at 13-3 and 14-2 last year. Even more impressive. The simple fact BB leads a team to 11 wins with a back up QB and wins a division while inserting 5 new defensive players to replace 5 Pro Bowler type players is incredible. It's just completely unrealistic and irrational to expect any coach in the cap era to immediately have Pro Bowl quality, veteran 3-4 complex D replacmenets, overight. The Pats offense, as inconsistent and unbalanced as it was, was a #3 ranked offense. Also, their healthy was apparently a huge problem all year. Not an excuse, but let's be honest health is absolutely crucial to any NFL team's chances. I'll tell you why they are NOT on a decline, but on an upswing that will stun the general public and the jealous fans of other teams that also WANT to believe this: Look at the Seattle Seahawks. Awful division, rebuilding and they can't even beat out the SF 49ers for second place. That's what happens when a good organization rebuilds.  You STINK for a few years or more. Well, not here.  You take some lumps, get some young players some experience and win divisions while having some nice drafts and cheap FA signings. BB and Tom Brady are by FAR AND AWAY the best coach and QB combo in the NFL. This is why this team avoids going on a decline.  Have a great day.
    Posted by russgriswold

Very very well said, and I hope you are right! and I hope that I am wrong

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Here is something else that is incredible:  Who drafts a QB in Round 7 in 2005 and then turns it over to a #34 overall (Chung) 4 years later AFTER having the balls to tag the player (Cassel) at 16 million dollars and having NO LEVERAGE (because of his cost (not at 16, but long term, committed starting QB money) and the fact that there is no way Cassel will be a starter in NE with Brady here?  I know this is a run on sentence, but who does this? No coach or GM has ever tagged a back up player and gotten that kind of return.  It's incredible.  He also cleaned Vrabel's contract off the books.  Finally, look at Edelman last year. A 7th rd pick as a QB and the guy comes in here and looks like a poor man's Welker.  I mean, it's just unprecedented return on investments. Imagine if Chung ascends next to Meriweather?  It would be on par with the Welker for a 2nd and a 7th type value.    
    Posted by russgriswold

I will say that no BB is not the only coach to pull off great moves there are many of the past. And lets be honest as fortunate as the Patriots have been with some of the 7th round picks turning out to be very good its a matter of luck more than skill otherwise they would have had far more value with every other team as well. BB has worked some magic there is no doubt, but there have been blunders as well. Im not as high on Chung, from what I have seen he bounces off other players and is poor at tackling, this year we shall see. As for Elelman I dont see him as a poor mans Wes Welker, I think he will be just as good or better. Thank you for the rebuttals without slander and you make your points very well.