2011 Draft best draft in longtime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

2011 Draft best draft in longtime

this could go down as one of the best drafts ever. instant superstars, instant stars, instant starters, and instant key contributors throughout every round and beyond. all this with no offseason. pretty incredible group of kids, and a blast to watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime

Agreed, they should win multiple super bowls in the years to come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

thats funny, but im not that much of a Grinch. i meant the whole draft class, from every team. B-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7249833/all-hail-freshmen guess somebody already wrote about it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime:
    [QUOTE]thats funny, but im not that much of a Grinch. i meant the whole draft class, from every team. B-)
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

that was obvious to me.
    happy thanks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]thats funny, but im not that much of a Grinch. i meant the whole draft class, from every team. B-)
    Oops. :^)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

We had two first's, two two's and three three's and we ended up with a tackle (albeit a very good one). God I hope Vareen turns out to be the next Curtis Martin, because when you go into a legendary draft with 7 picks in the first three rounds and come away with one player....something is not quite right.

I know it's early - Cannon could be a hell of a player - and so could Ridley, it's just that I kept hearing how deep this draft was and how it was going to set us up to be another Dynasty for the next several years. I was shocked they didn't go after a defensive lineman in this draft...stunned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Sorry about that. You're right, the rookies around the league are fun to watch and I think the NFL needed this infusion of new talent because there seems to be a lack of quality teams compared to past years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

One player???

Ras I Dowling looked like our best CB before he got hurt. Injuries happen.

Solder has been extremely reliable and is now pulling duty as a TE as well as a RT/LT.

Ridley has performed well in the time he's played, but there was never any way he was gonna replace the Law Firm/ Woodhead combo. Unless he was AP there was no way that was gonna happen.

Vereen has been injured, but is now healthy and looks like he'll be at the very least a good player if not great.

Sterling Moore looks good

Mallett was never going to be replacing Brady, so you can't say that this was a bad pick. All indications were that this is a steal.

This was not a bad draft at all. I don't know what people are complaining about.

The team is 7-3. We've lost the games we lost by a combined total of 15 points. The talent on this team is ridiculous, but people will hate on it until it looks like a Madden game. Well, wake the F up - that's not reality, and if it was it wouldn't be very fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

lots of de olb types are playing really well - aldon Smith, claybourn, kerrigan, sheard, Reed, acho, Houston, and im probably missing a few.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

[QUOTE]We had two first's, two two's and three three's and we ended up with a tackle (albeit a very good one). God I hope Vareen turns out to be the next Curtis Martin, because when you go into a legendary draft with 7 picks in the first three rounds and come away with one player....something is not quite right. I know it's early - Cannon could be a hell of a player - and so could Ridley, it's just that I kept hearing how deep this draft was and how it was going to set us up to be another Dynasty for the next several years. I was shocked they didn't go after a defensive lineman in this draft...stunned.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

yup, so far just one player in solder, but cannon, vereen, and ridley could all be contributors. i don't think that dowling will ever pan out. he's talented but very very fragile. injuries do happen all of the time but this guy seems to get hurt just making a tackle.

i hope that in next years draft they use both of their first round picks and draft first round talent. trading down has had its benefits, like the 2010 draft,  but its time to start using some of these high picks while brady still has a couple of years left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]lots of de olb types are playing really well - aldon Smith, claybourn, kerrigan, sheard, Reed, acho, Houston, and im probably missing a few.

Everybody is saying that we should have drafted DeMarco Murray over Vareen... but that is not the main issue in my mind.

The defense was a mess last year. We needed to turn the Seymour Raiders pick into the next all-pro DE.

I'd have traded both 1st rd picks to get into the 8-11 range and take JJ Watt... we likely could have gotten a 3rd or at least a 4th back for that package.

In the 2nd we could have had Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston. In the 3rd we'd have 3 picks (or maybe 1 would be in the low 4th) and we'd have been able to get one of Ridley, Vareen or Murray... than tried to get that OT to backup Light w/ one of

Even tho the tackle wouldn't have been as good as Solder (someone like Joeseph Barksdale, taken with our 3rd rd pick we traded) we knew Light had 2 more years in him esp if he just had more rest. That guy coulda backed up him and Vollmer and we could have used our 2012 1st on the next LT starter.

Still take Cannon in the 5th

Then solve the secondary issue in free agency. Trade Merriweather before the draft for a 5th or 6th rd pick. Restructure Sanders contrac before the lockout or keep Page for 900k. Sign Dashon Goldson and Cullen Jenkins for the Haynesworth/Ellis/Ocho money.

Moves like that....

Waters, Carter, Solder the only real scores

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]We had two first's, two two's and three three's and we ended up with a tackle (albeit a very good one). God I hope Vareen turns out to be the next Curtis Martin, because when you go into a legendary draft with 7 picks in the first three rounds and come away with one player....something is not quite right. I know it's early - Cannon could be a hell of a player - and so could Ridley, it's just that I kept hearing how deep this draft was and how it was going to set us up to be another Dynasty for the next several years. I was shocked they didn't go after a defensive lineman in this draft...stunned.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

well said,
    couldve created a dynasty. whiffed.
    coupla good players yes.
    front 7 and a good #1 wr maybe in or win s.b.

happy to have sloder and cannon.

dont forget we coulda picked up steve smith, roth, and fs or cb in fa.

wasted 10 mil on ocho and ellis. worst case couldve offered ellis slighlty more than jets did at the minimum, he still would have wanted to play to stick it in the jets face for insulting him (altho best move wouldve been elsewhere of he or albert)

good post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]lots of de olb types are playing really well - aldon Smith, claybourn, kerrigan, sheard, Reed, acho, Houston, and im probably missing a few.

exactly,
    and why are people cirtiquing (which many call complaining and will not stand for)
    is if you had a couple of these guys, this could have been the difference. and it was our top priority.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : Everybody is saying that we should have drafted DeMarco Murray over Vareen... but that is not the main issue in my mind. The defense was a mess last year. We needed to turn the Seymour Raiders pick into the next all-pro DE. I'd have traded both 1st rd picks to get into the 8-11 range and take JJ Watt... we likely could have gotten a 3rd or at least a 4th back for that package. In the 2nd we could have had Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston. In the 3rd we'd have 3 picks (or maybe 1 would be in the low 4th) and we'd have been able to get one of Ridley, Vareen or Murray... than tried to get that OT to backup Light w/ one of Even tho the tackle wouldn't have been as good as Solder (someone like Joeseph Barksdale, taken with our 3rd rd pick we traded) we knew Light had 2 more years in him esp if he just had more rest. That guy coulda backed up him and Vollmer and we could have used our 2012 1st on the next LT starter. Still take Cannon in the 5th Then solve the secondary issue in free agency. Trade Merriweather before the draft for a 5th or 6th rd pick. Restructure Sanders contrac before the lockout or keep Page for 900k. Sign Dashon Goldson and Cullen Jenkins for the Haynesworth/Ellis/Ocho money. Moves like that.... Waters, Carter, Solder the only real scores
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

rame,
    we think alike.
    and i like that you tell it like it is.

peace

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

we're so lucky to have carter and anderson pull through. drafting a 43 de next year would be sweet, assuming the pats scout that position well. cant wait for a fast lb either. tarpinian will be fun to watch for about 4 games too. bb's really nailed the oline as a GM. not having any needs at all at ol and te is very significant. our whole draft can be spent on d and wr. seems like we could use a wright replacement, that will be fun to scout for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Our greatest need was on our defense last year, our smallest need was RB.. That being said we grabbed 1 CB and 2 RB's.  For some reason Im thinkin Bill isnt on the same page as us lol. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]we're so lucky to have carter and anderson pull through. drafting a 43 de next year would be sweet, assuming the pats scout that position well. cant wait for a fast lb either. tarpinian will be fun to watch for about 4 games too. bb's really nailed the oline as a GM. not having any needs at all at ol and te is very significant. our whole draft can be spent on d and wr. seems like we could use a wright replacement, that will be fun to scout for.

agreed on carter and anderson. and bb knows how to pick o lineman. that hasnt been our problem (baing able to draft o lineman).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]One player??? Ras I Dowling looked like our best CB before he got hurt. Injuries happen. Solder has been extremely reliable and is now pulling duty as a TE as well as a RT/LT. Ridley has performed well in the time he's played, but there was never any way he was gonna replace the Law Firm/ Woodhead combo. Unless he was AP there was no way that was gonna happen. Vereen has been injured, but is now healthy and looks like he'll be at the very least a good player if not great. Sterling Moore looks good Mallett was never going to be replacing Brady, so you can't say that this was a bad pick. All indications were that this is a steal. This was not a bad draft at all. I don't know what people are complaining about. The team is 7-3. We've lost the games we lost by a combined total of 15 points. The talent on this team is ridiculous, but people will hate on it until it looks like a Madden game. Well, wake the F up - that's not reality, and if it was it wouldn't be very fun.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

Couple of things - first off, this team is loaded with talent? I see Brady, Welker and Gronk carrying this team more weeks than not. I don't see a ton of our young talent taking over games for us, in fact most of our young talent doesn't contribute at all. 

How many of our boat load of second round picks helped out on Monday night (these are the guys we thought had more value than all those first round picks we traded out of)? Brace, Spikes, Cunningham, Butler, Wheatly, Dawling, Chung, McCourty weren't even on the field or team on Monday night. I'll give a guy like Volmer credit, at least he played, but he almost got Brady killed 5 times. 

How much did our young highly drafted kids play and contribute on offense? Price actually ran a pass pattern for the second time in his career and our 2nd round pick played!! On a night when the holes in the Chief's defense were bigger than Merriweather's rap sheet these guys (Ridley and Vareen) got 4 carries.

All the guys I listed above could very well go on to have pro bowl careers, but to say that they are making this team better right now than some other players they could of had is a stretch. I know the old...we could of should of had this one and that is supposed to be silly and all, but look at all those guys that aren't doing much this year. Do you think it's asking too much for one of those 9 second round picks to be a pro bowl player by now (McCourty was, but he won't get within 7k miles of the pro bowl this year)?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : Couple of things - first off, this team is loaded with talent? I see Brady, Welker and Gronk carrying this team more weeks than not. I don't see a ton of our young talent taking over games for us, in fact most of our young talent doesn't contribute at all.  How many of our boat load of second round picks helped out on Monday night (these are the guys we thought had more value than all those first round picks we traded out of)? Brace, Spikes, Cunningham, Butler, Wheatly, Dawling, Chung, McCourty weren't even on the field or team on Monday night. I'll give a guy like Volmer credit, at least he played, but he almost got Brady killed 5 times.  How much did our young highly drafted kids play and contribute on offense? Price actually ran a pass pattern for the second time in his career and our 2nd round pick played!! On a night when the holes in the Chief's defense were bigger than Merriweather's rap sheet these guys (Ridley and Vareen) got 4 carries. All the guys I listed above could very well go on to have pro bowl careers, but to say that they are making this team better right now than some other players they could of had is a stretch. I know the old...we could of should of had this one and that is supposed to be silly and all, but look at all those guys that aren't doing much this year. Do you think it's asking too much for one of those 9 second round picks to be a pro bowl player by now (McCourty was, but he won't get within 7k miles of the pro bowl this year)?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

no i dont. bb does not play rookies much. i dont like it. we dont develop receivers or db's well either

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]we're so lucky to have carter and anderson pull through. drafting a 43 de next year would be sweet, assuming the pats scout that position well. ...

i don't see next year's DEs to be anywhere near those in the 2011 class. 2012, i believe is a WR+CB class.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

IMO BB's Pats career grades per positional breakdown...

Qb - A
    Rb - D minus
    Wr - D minus
    TE - B
    OL - A+
    DL - B
    CB - C
    LB - B
    K / P - B+

Luckily he works the board as good as any GM ever has and thus is able to stockpile and take multiple wacks at hittin' the bulls-eye .

Though the jury is obviously still out  , BB's 2011 draft appears to fit his MO with
    O Linemen being the stars of the show ( Solder / Cannon )
      I'd like to be able to give him props on his 2 recent Rb selections ( theres clearly potential there ) but I fear he overpayed for the two backs as he could have had DeMarco Murray in 3rd and Kendal Hunter in 4th instead of using a 2nd and 3rd on Vareen / Ridley ,,,when you factor in BBs lack of rookie Rb judgement in the past , it just doesnt bode well for these two ever being valuable picks.  

Ras - I Dowling looked like an injury waiting to happen (It was common knowledge that he was injured at every level of his career ). 
    Personally I will NEVER have faith that Dowling can play a full season.
     The 33rd pick should have been parlayed down the line... not wasted on a gimp ( example- we could have traded with SF and gotten Kendall Hunter for FREE ..and still possibly have gotten the gimp later in the round )

I believe in BB ( and always will ) 

He could have done worse in this last draft , but as far as WINNING NOW goes ...he also could have done much better  .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Another defensive stud or two would have been really nice. Two running backs now seems a bit much given how well BJGE has been playing. One would have been more than enough. Surprised BB went that route, he must have had some confidence in BJGE in the offseason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft best draft in longtime : no i dont. bb does not play rookies much. i dont like it. we dont develop receivers or db's well either
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

He sure as hell played Mayo and McCourty as rookies. He plays them if they show it in his lab.