2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

Oakland is 2-2

I doubt they do worse than 6-10, their defense looked solid in the 4th quarter today

so pick 8-12 for us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Well Peterson is without a doubt a rare talent but you're right with Bodden and McCourty right now there is no room for him. Bodden is a top 10 cb imo and McCourty will be or better too. As much as I'd love to have Peterson he's a luxury (can't believe I said that). I do think if we have a top 5 pick you have to go DL. Sure DL are a dime a dozen with one huge exception top 5 DL's in the draft. You can go down the line and you'd be hard pressed to find one that really missed and didn't make a huge impact for their team. I feel all this team really needs is a big DE that can put pressure (notice I said pressure not rush) and set the edge on runs, a rush OLB that knows where he needs to be opposite Cunningham and can do a decent job covering in the box, and a couple OLman that don't need to make an immediate impact but can take over for Neal, Koppen, and/or Light within the next couple years
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    I don't think you can every have too many quality corners given all the nickel and dime sets we use.  Bodden and McCourty are our only studs, lose one and we're screwed.  If there is any chance of landing Peterson, I think we should go for it. We then use McCourty in the slot and more in the return game.  He'll see plenty of reps.  We have 8 picks in the top 125 or so and 4 picks in the top 56 or so.  Taking a once-in-a-decade corner with a rookie cap is smart IMO.  But Oakland upset SD just now, so that hurts the cause.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Haha. Could you imagine signing contracts prior to the CBA. LOL.

Anywho, to PATSENG. I don't see a true shutdown corner as a luxury at all. I mean, ask the Jets how much of a luxury Revis is, or the 49ers and Cowboys about the luxury of Deion Sanders. A true, lockdown, shutdown corner in the modern NFL can be the cornerstone of a #1 defense. 

I will however, agree that for NE is not a necessity. At least not as much as bolstering the defensive line with some added talent, or getting more talent at OLB, which I look at as priority #1 and #2 this offseason, along with adding another young piece on offense, and adding another OL. 

I just see that NE has sunk four picks in the last three drafts into corners, and these players are still developing. Add to that the fact they signed Bodden. It sometimes comes down to picking your battles based on need instead of just going BPA. 

New England doesn't need another corner. 

An ideal draft for me would be ...

1st 34DE or OLB
    1st 34DE or OLB
    2nd WR or RB
    2nd Tackle

And the rest is history. Those are the roster spots where NE could stand to add top flight talent. IMHO of course. 

Given that this draft is looking like it's going to be deep in DE/DT and WR it looks promising. Waiting on OT might be smart, because I don't see a lot of the blue chip talent coming from that position, at least not right now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Just for fun ...

1st (OAK) -- Robert Quinn OLB/DE
    1st (NE) -- Nick Fairley 34DE
    2nd (CAR)  -- Julio Jones or John Baldwin WR
    2nd (NE) --Jason Pinkston OT

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Just for fun ... 1st (OAK) -- Robert Quinn OLB/DE 1st (NE) -- Nick Fairley 34DE 2nd (CAR)  -- Julio Jones or John Baldwin WR 2nd (NE) --Jason Pinkston OT
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    I don't think the Raiders are going to cooperate enough for us to land Quinn.  I think the pick is looking more like a 10-12 pick now.  CAR is helping us though.  If we have things locked up or are out of it by week 16, we might want to consider dropping the BUF game if it means they finish ahead of CAR, lol.

1-12   OLB Akeen Ayers
    1-25   DT Jarod Crick
    2-33   WR Jonathan Baldwin
    2-57   OT Mike Adams
    3-89   RB Anthony Allen
    3-91   OG Clint Boling
    4-110  SS Nate Williams
    4-125  FB Owen Marecic

Obviously it is way to early to mock but this sure shows that we can plug holes and add depth just about everywhere and we haven't even explored 2011 free agents that we could target.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's really early but Ayers at 12? He'll most likely be a late teen to late 20 area if the college game stopped today. If we can't get one of the top 3 DL with Oak's pick then WR might be the next best option or if something weird should happen and Peterson falls to the Oak's pick I'd rather take the BPA Peterson then reach that high on a pure OLB in college for a 34 system. However if they can get a good trading partner to drop back to the late teen early 20's region get another pick out of it (dropping that far would most likely net a 3rd and maybe a 2nd next year) Ayers would be worth a shot. But I wouldn't take him any higher then 18 if you can get some more picks and still get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Ayers would be a good OLB. He'll be great at setting the edge and playing pass coverage. I'm worried about his consistency in the pass rush, which is why I would prefer they went elsewhere, perhaps Robert Quinn if we're at the top of the first round or Ryan Kerrigan at the end of the first or begnning of the second or just as a sub-rusher, Von Miller at the end of the 2nd round or in the 3rd round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

1st (Raiders): Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

1st: Cameron Jordan, DE, California

2nd (Panthers): Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

2nd: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue

3rd (Vikings): Titus Young, WR, Boise State

3rd: Jack Crawford, OLB, Penn State

4th (Broncos): Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

4th: Clint Boling, G, Georgia

5th: Evan Royster, RB, Penn State

5th (compensatory): Tejay Johnson, SS, TCU

6th (Saints): Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

what about these guys, all three are military reserve and will be back for next season.  There are 2 WRs and 1 FB, the FB if I'm not mistaken was a really good football player. 

Tyree Barnes WR 6-0 196 4/15/1986 1 Navy Hampton, Va. FA-09
     44Eric Kettani RB 5-11 235 3/26/1987 1 Navy Kirtland, Ohio FA-09
     16Shun White WR 5-8 195 12/9/1985 1 Navy Memphis, Tenn. FA-09

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1587
    On Kettani

I don't think a RB will be drafted early, I've always loved BJGE and have wanted him to get a shot for a long time.  I think this cat although not flashy is a tough runner and will play every down with a huge chip on his shoulded.  Add Woody who also has a chip and this combo will not be elite but will be solid.  Would like to see a RB added who can be both RB/FB, a big thumper.

I like Allen Bradford, part of a 4 that's right 4 RB backfield at USC.  Big physical guy, this could be a good value pick.  Because he won't be a fetured back he won't have stats to support a first 3 round selection.  He IMO could be a young Sammy.  He's 5'11" 235 reporterly runs a mid 4.5s, added to BJGE and Woody this kid could be that goal line big boy or FB for BJGE.

OLB man this one will be tough because IMO there's a dropoff in skill from top three guys to the rest.  Would love to see a few late bloomers as we did last year, Daniel Te'O who went in 3rd round to the Eagles.

Two guys who could be this year's Te'O
    Markus White 6'4" 262 - Starter at Florida State, has speed to come off the edge but would need time to develop into OLB.
    Ugo Chinasa 6'5" 256 - Arizona player, bit on the light side specially at 6'5" but can add muscle. 

Would love to get Quinn but that is not going to happen other than Quinn who can make an immediate impact, a 4 down player.  I think that statement "4 down player" will be the theme of the 1st and 2nd round next season.  What about a big ugly,
    Nate Solder 6'8" 315 to man that right side when Voll takes over the left side? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Faucet I think you are very close to where the Pats will pick so will used those for my first mock. 

1-12   S DeAndre McDaniel 6'1" 210 reserve the right to change if he has not changed his character.  can play FS or SS, speed to play back and tough to come in the box.
    1-25   DE/OLB Ryan Kerrigan 6'4" 263
    2-33   DE Christian Ballard 6'4" 298
    2-57   OT Demarcus Love OT 6'5" 315 (plays everything but center)
    3-89   WR Leonard Hankerson 6'3" 215
    3-91   CB Cortez Allen 6'1" 190
    4-110  OL James Carpenter 6'5" 300
    4-125  RB/FB Allan Bradford 5'11" 235

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]It's really early but Ayers at 12? He'll most likely be a late teen to late 20 area if the college game stopped today. If we can't get one of the top 3 DL with Oak's pick then WR might be the next best option or if something weird should happen and Peterson falls to the Oak's pick I'd rather take the BPA Peterson then reach that high on a pure OLB in college for a 34 system. However if they can get a good trading partner to drop back to the late teen early 20's region get another pick out of it (dropping that far would most likely net a 3rd and maybe a 2nd next year) Ayers would be worth a shot. But I wouldn't take him any higher then 18 if you can get some more picks and still get him.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    Peterson would be my first choice in the draft.  I just don't see how he'll be in range for us.  He's a top 3 pick IMO.  You have to figure BUF will take Luck, CAR will likely go DE then Peterson should come off the board.  As it stands now we'd have to move up 8 spots or so to get him which would cost us both 1sts.

Ayers being a junior is still raw.  I can see him only getting better with NFL coaching.  But like you say, it is WAY to early to slot him especially when we don't even know if he will declare.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If a major offensive player is available (Ingram, Mallet, Green) I could see Belichick trading down if someone like Peterson or any major defensive player is off the board. I like Hankerson and Kerrigan as picks, just not in the 1st round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Honestly, I think Frisco is that bad that they could be in the top three. Buffalo, Carolina, AND SF all need the same thing, a QB. I think Locker and Luck could be gone in the top three. 

Quinn and Ayers are too hard to slot. Quinn's raw talent says top five, I look at him as a slightly more athletic version of Orakpo. Something like a Demarcus Ware type. 

But his suspension could drive him down to the 8-15 range IMO. He is young. He is a beast rushing the passer, but that only means so much considering you are essentially bidding on a sophomore. I think as a rush linebacker (a la McGinest) he is metrically perfect.

Ayers is not as young, but has short experience due to transfers. Again, he is senior age with junior experience. And UCLA doesn't play a schedule that gives scouts a lot of looks against monster competition. A lot depends on how he does in three crucial moments. How he plays against legit competition down the stretch. A credible performance against Oregon could help, although considering how easy the Ducks' schedule has been, I am not sure how telling that could b e either. How he does at the shrine game/bowl game, although drawing another team like Temple can only hurt. And the combine. 

On the surface, he seems like the exact kind of athlete that could make the transition. Six career picks don't hurt that impression either. He looks Vrabel-like in his metrics. That is good. 

NE will not get a crack at Peterson. He is top five for sure. 

Selfishly, I hope Peterson does not declare. LSU looks like it is just getting its QB act together with Jarrett Lee, and they have crazy amounts of talent that have been wasted on Jordan Jefferson. I hope Peterson sticks around so they can make some BCS runs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Also, I don't think Oakland will be that good.

Buf
    Car
    SF
    Cle
    Det

After that, who is markedly worse than the Raiders? You could argue a race to the bottom between them and Denver? Tampa Bay might have a worse record based on tougher competition. Seattle could always stink. And St Louis, well they will win some games just based on how terrible their division is...

Even given that as a worse case scenario ....

BUF
    CAR
    SF
    CLE
    DET
    --> (OAK)
    STL
    TB
    SEA
    DEN
    --> (OAK)

I still see Oakland falling somewhere between #6 and #10. Exactly what I thought coming into the season. I think that will be good enough to take a crack at Quinn, even though he has all sorts of red flags by New England's standards. However, like I said from the get go .. if Peterson declares, it is outside looking in ....

Between 6-10 I see the best options as people like Kerrigan, Bailey, Akamura, Green, Clayborn (possibly). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Zbellino, I'm glad to see you've gotten on the Nick Fairley bandwagon. I mentioned him a couple pages ago, but I don't think I've been very visible this year in the draft conversation. Too busy on other boards, I suppose.

Right now, my choices are contingent on underclassmen declaring for the draft, but here goes:

1a) Nick Fairly
    1b) Aldon Smith
    2a) Michael Floyd
    2b) Marcus Gilbert
    3a) Traded forward for a 2012 2nd
    3b) Kenrick Ellis
    4a)
    Allen Bradford
    4b) Chad Schofield

Or, at least, something like that. I'm sure we'll see more trades than that.

Aldon Smith and Robert Quinn look just about perfect for us when it comes to production, metrics, and mindset. They could be fantastic bookends to Cunningham, who looks like he'll be a good player for us. I'd be happy with either, but Smith looks quicker and more comfortable in space.

Fairley is definitely my number one target, though. He's Suh-like, a mini-Haynesworth, a Seymour redux. And many other hyperbolic accolades, etc. He's the real deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Reamer, 

I watch Fairley quite often. I don't necessarily see him as a top ten guy, but he is a very strong lower half pick in the first. This isn't based on his talent, but based on big-Ten bias and the fact that he is a junior. Auburn just doesn't get the press that a team like Ohio State or Iowa does. And Miami is such an institution that it makes sense that most people will "see" Bailey first. 

But in general, I am a huge fan of SEC defenders. It is a big, fast conference, and the defensive schemes are as close to the NFL as you can get. Plus you can guarantee they have played in some big games over a four year stretch. 

I have huge respect for D lineman in the SEC. Look at how Tyson Jackson and Dorsey have absolutely transformed the KC defense. NE needs someone like Tyson Jackson to play next to VW. Warren, VW, Fairley could be a monster 34 setup, and would put NE near the top in that category. Add in Brace, Wright, and Pryor as extremely high quality depth. 

He is even better metrically than T Jack -- 6'5" 300 vs 6'5" 290 and while I am pretty sure T. Jack is a better athlete in space, I am also pretty sure Fairley really plays closer to 310 or 315, and has a really quick first step and punch for someone of that girth. 

I hope the Auburn Tigers lose some more games (for multiple reasons, lol) but also to keep this kid in the shadows of some of what I consider inferior 34 talent. Getting him between 20-32 would be a steal. I have him higher on my 34 board than Heyward, Clayborne, and Bailey, all of whom look more like large 5 tech players right now.

Of course, there is no guarantee that he declares. If Auburn finishes strong, I could see him committing for one more season.  

Of course, if Ne thought he was the guy, I would be all for taking him at ten. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]One player that no one is talking about who could be an option is Robert Quinn from UNC.  I know he is suspended, but he is an athletic freak built exactly like Brian Orakpo, who I loved coming out, and DeMarcus Ware. If NE is looking for a kid who can rush the passer, look no further.  Although character definitely becomes an issue with this one, and uncertainty about whether he will come out or not based on missing this season.  Does anyone know when his suspension is going to end? I know it was for lesser crimes -- talking to an agent -- than Austin, who cheated by having a tutor take tests for him. I think Quinn's brain-tumor recovery and consistent good behavior/leadership outweigh this one in some respects. 

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Austin-Little-and-Quinn-all-done-at-UNC.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Thanks MB.

Way to stay on top of the news. I think this does hurt Quinn and Austin. I know it shouldn't matter. One more year of experience could have been huge. But they are rightly punished.

I would love to see these Universities go after these agents who tamper with their players. I think that would dramatically decrease the incidence of this kind of thing.

Be that as  it may, I think Quinn is not going to have the top five status. This raises serious questions about whether he is looking for short  cuts or was just a dumb 19 year old who made a mistake. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Is it just me .... or does this seem like the worst OL draft in a decade? I mean, I keep thinking the old top-ten fallback is an offensive lineman...but I can't really think of a single blue chip talent. 

I can't even think of a player I would be comfortable going top fifteen for....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks MB. Way to stay on top of the news. I think this does hurt Quinn and Austin. I know it shouldn't matter. One more year of experience could have been huge. But they are rightly punished. I would love to see these Universities go after these agents who tamper with their players. I think that would dramatically decrease the incidence of this kind of thing. Be that as  it may, I think Quinn is not going to have the top five status. This raises serious questions about whether he is looking for short  cuts or was just a dumb 19 year old who made a mistake. 

Welcome, ZB.

I agree, agents and their runners should face stiff penalty if they are linked two and found guilty of providing illegal benefits to players/potential clients.  I've also heard it suggested that an NFL team that drafts said player/deals with said agent should be penalized as well, which I think makes some sense.  If a player knows his chances of getting drafted will be significantly decreased based on his actions, I think you'd see a reduction in this type of activity.  Though, there are still players that test positive for marijuana at the combine meaning there are still plenty of moron's still roaming the college campuses of America.

As for Quinn, I think his stock takes a hit, but not a significant one.  I still think he's likely to come off the board in Rd 1 and with good workouts the top 10-15.  It does raise huge questions about his ability to make smart decisions though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Something else to take into account is the potential lockout.. if there is one look for teams to do less manuvering down but more out... for example wouldn't suprise me if Patriots moved most of their first 3 round picks to 2012... players drafted in 2011 will see a drop off in production value with a year lay off even more then a vet. Also look to see some go to other leagues.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Also, I don't think Oakland will be that good. Buf Car SF Cle Det After that, who is markedly worse than the Raiders? You could argue a race to the bottom between them and Denver? Tampa Bay might have a worse record based on tougher competition. Seattle could always stink. And St Louis, well they will win some games just based on how terrible their division is... Even given that as a worse case scenario .... BUF CAR SF CLE DET -- /> (OAK) STL TB SEA DEN --> (OAK) I still see Oakland falling somewhere between #6 and #10. Exactly what I thought coming into the season. I think that will be good enough to take a crack at Quinn, even though he has all sorts of red flags by New England's standards. However, like I said from the get go .. if Peterson declares, it is outside looking in .... Between 6-10 I see the best options as people like Kerrigan, Bailey, Akamura, Green, Clayborn (possibly). 
    If MIN and DAL don't get their act together soon, they could possible finish poorly.  Dallas plays in a tough division and would appear to be the weakest team there.  MIN has a tough schedule ahead too.  It will be the Battle of the Disappointments next week as they host Dallas.  After that MIN has GB, twice, NE, CHI twice, PHI, WAS, and NYG.  ARI just beat the SB Champs so they aren't a given.  The only cream puff games are against DET and BUF.  If Favre doesn't get his act together we could be looking at a low 70s pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Is it just me .... or does this seem like the worst OL draft in a decade? I mean, I keep thinking the old top-ten fallback is an offensive lineman...but I can't really think of a single blue chip talent.  I can't even think of a player I would be comfortable going top fifteen for....

CBS/NFL Draft Scout lists 6 OTs in their top 32 and all are seniors.  They also list 2 OGs in Pouncey and Hudson and 1 Center in their top 32.  But I do think you are right in that there isn't any top 10 talents, no Jake Longs in this draft.  The depth in the draft appears to be at CB, especially if you include juniors. I count 9 CBs that are potentially 1-2 round picks.

If you want to talk about thin, how about WR?  If Green and Jones don't come out you don't have any first round WRs available.  Maybe this was also a reason we went out and got Branch, who incidently is signed through 2011.

There also seems to be some decent depth at OLB this year which is good for us. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Thanks for your input Faucet.

Yeah I have five in my top 40. None above 15, most of them in and around the second/first bend. I guess that means good value but no world beaters.