2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your input Faucet. Yeah I have five in my top 40. None above 15, most of them in and around the second/first bend. I guess that means good value but no world beaters.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    That's probably best given our history.  Other than Mankins (pick 32), we haven't draft OL in the first round.  The only 2nd round OLs taken in the BB era were Vollmer (58) and Light (48), both tackles.  We took Kaczur in the 3rd (100).  Koppen was a 5th round pick.  Neal was undrafted.  Wendell was undrafted.  Connolly was undrafted.  LaVoir was undrafted.  Keep in mind Mankins played OT his entire college career.

So, if history is a lesson, BB will spend a high pick (1-3 round pick) on an OT but not for the interior line.  So, we can expect to draft an OT somewhere in the first 3 rounds but not a C/OG type until round 5 if at all.  As you say, the sweet spot appears to be the end of round 1, early round 2.  The CAR pick should be high, 33 to 36 but my bet is we'd use our own 2nd on a tackle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Further to our discussion of OL, BB seems to like tall, yet lanky OTs,  Light and Kaczur are 6-4 and Vollmer is 6-7, all weigh between 305 and 315.  Actually, 6-4 would be considered short for OT these days.  If we look at who fits this profile from size prospective there are a ton of OTs slotted between picks 15 and 100.  These are some of the names in no particular order:

Mike Adams
    Anthony Castonzo
    Derek Sherrod
    DeMarcus Love
    Nate Solder
    Jason Pinkston
    James Carpenter
    Gabe Carimi
    Lee Ziemba
    Clint Boling

If I had to bet we will draft one of these guys either in the 2nd or 3rd round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Further to our discussion of OL, BB seems to like tall, yet lanky OTs,  Light and Kaczur are 6-4 and Vollmer is 6-7, all weigh between 305 and 315.  Actually, 6-4 would be considered short for OT these days.  If we look at who fits this profile from size prospective there are a ton of OTs slotted between picks 15 and 100.  These are some of the names in no particular order: Mike Adams Anthony Castonzo Derek Sherrod DeMarcus Love Nate Solder Jason Pinkston James Carpenter Gabe Carimi Lee Ziemba Clint Boling If I had to bet we will draft one of these guys either in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Faucet,  I really like Gabe Carimi.  Saw a Wisconsin game and he looks the part.  Better run blocker than pass protector but IMO has the tools.  Another is Nate Solder 6'9" 305 fits that tall lean mold.

Although with a more balanced attack do you think they go after a bit heavier guys who would create more of a push at the POA?  This o is shapping up to be a TE, RB short/intermidiate passing attack as I see it.  

What do you think of a guy like James Brewer 6'6" 334, likely a late 2nd or early 3rd and would be a run blocker above a pass rusher.  Has RT written all over him or RG. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Good stuff Faucet,  I really like Gabe Carimi.  Saw a Wisconsin game and he looks the part.  Better run blocker than pass protector but IMO has the tools.  Another is Nate Solder 6'9" 305 fits that tall lean mold. Although with a more balanced attack do you think they go after a bit heavier guys who would create more of a push at the POA?  This o is shapping up to be a TE, RB short/intermidiate passing attack as I see it.   What do you think of a guy like James Brewer 6'6" 334, likely a late 2nd or early 3rd and would be a run blocker above a pass rusher.  Has RT written all over him or RG. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    I like Gabe Carimi too.  As for Brewer, I don't think he's a player we'd target.  BB prefers a more nimble speedy line, guys that can get to the second level, who can pull and get out on a screen.  Brewer is too big and slow, listed at 5.36 speed.  Nate Solder is a guy I really like AND I think he fits the BB mold for a OT.  He's 6-8, 315, 4.89.  He earned first team all Big 12 last year with Okung and Trent Williams in the conference.  He's been a starter for over 30 games.  I think we book end him, or someone like him, with Vollmer and we have two giants with long reaches on the ends.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I like Gabe Carimi too.  As for Brewer, I don't think he's a player we'd target.  BB prefers a more nimble speedy line, guys that can get to the second level, who can pull and get out on a screen.  Brewer is too big and slow, listed at 5.36 speed.  Nate Solder is a guy I really like AND I think he fits the BB mold for a OT.  He's 6-8, 315, 4.89.  He earned first team all Big 12 last year with Okung and Trent Williams in the conference.  He's been a starter for over 30 games.  I think we book end him, or someone like him, with Vollmer and we have two giants with long reaches on the ends.

Solder could end as a Patriot, if he's a highly valued draftee they have the picks to move to get him, as the offseaon workouts begin he might command to be selected with the Raiders pick but I don't think that will happen.  6'9" 300+ runs under 5 40.  He's got the speed of big TEs in a OL's body.  He's a converted TE if I'm not mistaken, he really fits that mold of mobile OL and could even line up as an eligible receiver on redzone plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Solder could end as a Patriot, if he's a highly valued draftee they have the picks to move to get him, as the offseaon workouts begin he might command to be selected with the Raiders pick but I don't think that will happen.  6'9" 300+ runs under 5 40.  He's got the speed of big TEs in a OL's body.  He's a converted TE if I'm not mistaken, he really fits that mold of mobile OL and could even line up as an eligible receiver on redzone plays.
    There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Anyone seen any Florida State games?  Looking for info on Markus White DE 6'4" 260 reporterly runs a sub 4.7 40.  Right now a later round prospect, don't know much about him but want to keep an eye out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.

Yeah was thinking some trickery never hurts but was more about having that athleticism on the line would be excellent. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : There usually is a premium on OTs.  I'm not sure Solder is a top 10 pick yet.  For some reason it usually takes awhile for evaluations on OL types to get going.  Can you imagine a pair of 6-8, 6-9 types anchoring the edge?  You're right about Solder too, he has played a little TE in the past.  I'm not sure we'd need to use him for tackel eligible plays when we already have 6-7 Gronk who is paid be that guy.  A little trickery once in awhile I guess is always in order.

I have been calling for soldier for weeks now. He has experience as a TE.  Positives: Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker.
    reminds me alot of vollmer in speed, athleticism and size.  He is definiately moving up boards though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone seen any Florida State games?  Looking for info on Markus White DE 6'4" 260 reporterly runs a sub 4.7 40.  Right now a later round prospect, don't know much about him but want to keep an eye out.
    Haven't heard but he sure has the size/speed you want in a conversion guy.

I've been hearing some positive things about Audie Cole of NC State too.  He's a junior but has good measureables, 6-5, 240, 4.75.  I haven't seen him play.  Anyone got a scouting report on him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : I have been calling for soldier for weeks now. He has experience as a TE.  Positives: Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker. reminds me alot of vollmer in speed, athleticism and size.  He is definiately moving up boards though.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Hi Nate,

Missed your call on him, he looks like a prototypical OT.  This is what I'm thinking on an OT, Voll is almost a lock at move to LT right?  I don't see BB spending a 1st rounder on a RT and if he keeps playing well and does well as expected in offseason workouts he will probably be a top 20 pick because of the lack of elite OTs in this draft.

RTs are 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Guy in that area I like is Gabe Carimi 6'7" 322.

Pass blocking: Has the elite agility and nimble feet to protect the quarterback's blindside. Very difficult to turn the corner against because of his lateral movement and solid footwork. Also protects the inside lane well. Delivers a strong hand punch capable of knocking back an opponent, and is able to recoil and extend again. Uses his length to block his man with one hand and knock an edge blitzer off his path with the other. Quick to cut on bubble screens and reverses, though he could get more of his man's legs to be truly effective. Bends at the waist while engaged; usually holds on to prevent secondary rush but will also end up on the ground too often.

Run blocking: Known as an athletic pass protector, but is a strong blocker for the Badger run game. Has strong upper and lower body builds despite his height. Plays with leverage against stout defensive ends and tackles on the edge, can get under their pads and churn his legs to move them down or off the line. Effective combo blocker, gets a hand on a tackle and still manages to push ends out of the play on strong-side runs. Leans or bends at the waist to latch on at times, will get shed and lose his balance.

Pulling/trapping: Usually not asked to pull or trap from the outside, but down-blocks often and has the quickness and footwork to move behind the line. Gets his quick hands out in front to get a piece of inside defenders before moving to the MIKE linebacker. Can sustain blocks in space because of his length and nimble feet.

Initial Quickness: Elite first step in his kick slide and lateral movement, does not get beat off the edge very often. Also explodes off the ball on run plays, is capable of driving his man back a few yards. Defenders will take advantage of the quickness to take him upfield or knock him off balance, however.

Downfield: Excellent footwork and agility to get downfield. Reaches linebackers at the second level and defensive backs further downfield equally well. Knows the proper angle to cut off defenders from the ballcarrier. Good lateral movement once engaged, gives effort to sustain against smaller defenders. Tends to bend at the waist and punch instead of moving after initial contact.

Intangibles: Solid player with strong work ethic, as well as football and general intelligence. Received multiple Academic All-American and All-Big Ten awards. Missed three games in 2008 with right MCL sprain, but played through maladies in 2009: slight tear in right MCL scarring, left AC joint (shoulder) sprain, H1N1 virus. Fasted for 24 hours before 2008 game against Iowa in observance of Yom Kippur.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Welcome, ZB. I agree, agents and their runners should face stiff penalty if they are linked two and found guilty of providing illegal benefits to players/potential clients.  I've also heard it suggested that an NFL team that drafts said player/deals with said agent should be penalized as well, which I think makes some sense.  If a player knows his chances of getting drafted will be significantly decreased based on his actions, I think you'd see a reduction in this type of activity.  Though, there are still players that test positive for marijuana at the combine meaning there are still plenty of moron's still roaming the college campuses of America. As for Quinn, I think his stock takes a hit, but not a significant one.  I still think he's likely to come off the board in Rd 1 and with good workouts the top 10-15.  It does raise huge questions about his ability to make smart decisions though.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Agree. Agents should be held accountable on stuff like this.

if Quinn is done for the year, can he still participate at the Combine? Does this preclude him from an invitation? 
    I think his stock falls a bit (assuming he declares), but not a free fall. Regardless of what he did in terms of accepting gifts, I'm still going to target him round 1, especially if he could be had somewhere in the 12-19 range. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Agree. Agents should be held accountable on stuff like this. if Quinn is done for the year, can he still participate at the Combine? Does this preclude him from an invitation?  I think his stock falls a bit (assuming he declares), but not a free fall. Regardless of what he did in terms of accepting gifts, I'm still going to target him round 1, especially if he could be had somewhere in the 12-19 range. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

IF! he's able to work out at the combine he will still be a top 10, talent overcomes most mistakes.  I imagine he will be ready to put up some good numbers at the combine, he'll have 6 months.  If he can't and all he can do is have a "pro day" at a gym somewhere then that might drop him a bit but don't think he gets out too far out of the top 10.

Still think he won't be available for the Pats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know the deals the Jets have in place for some of their new acquisitions this year...

Calvin Pace, LaDainian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor....

I believe it's varied, but I would be interested in the boards opinion on which major contributors will be there next year, etc.

I know they are trying to win now as Tomlinson and Taylor will probably be gone next year, but not sure about the other guys. Also curious about David Harris...

Trying to compare our draft haul to what they can keep....understanding the CBA can impact all of it...

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : IF! he's able to work out at the combine he will still be a top 10, talent overcomes most mistakes.  I imagine he will be ready to put up some good numbers at the combine, he'll have 6 months.  If he can't and all he can do is have a "pro day" at a gym somewhere then that might drop him a bit but don't think he gets out too far out of the top 10. Still think he won't be available for the Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think you could move on a power LT to convert to RT in the first. IT adds flexibility. But NE never even really maintains that power RT kind of player. They usually look for smart players before athletes.

In think someone like Demarcus Love from Arkansas is the "intellectual" OT type.

He fits more at RT or G anyhow. And I think he will be available at the top of the second round with Carolina's selection.

Although knowing BB's history picking OL players, he will probably grab a Chinese basketball player in the low second, everyone will scratch their heads, and then midway through 2011 he will be a rock solid contributor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So what the verdict on Quinn?

If he falls to 6-9 and we are there do we have to take him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Quinn falls to the 8-12 region you almost have to take him. I originally thought he wouldn't fall past Buf but if he does for this reason we could get the best rusher coming out of the draft.

Normally I don't think BB takes rushers this high in the draft but he has the size and speed BB loves not to mention he can be a DE/OLB tweener like Cunningham. Having 2 OLB's that can put their hands down would add flexibility to the Dline and the LB core as a whole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Bill normally hasnt gotten the chance because OLBs like that are usually off the board when the Pats select. If Quinn falls into their laps theirs only 1 way they could pass on him and thats if he completely bombs their interview and thats doubtful dude fits what the pats love in players

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I like Jonathan Brewer WR from Pitt with Oaklands pick. He's 6'5"-6'6" 230lbs. They say he runs a 4.37 but we will see at the combine, if he comes out he's a junior. He has a 42" vertical leap, and great hands. He attacks the ball and catches it at its highest point. He can stretch the field, but not afraid to go over middle. He is also a workout warrior. He works out and runs routes relentlessly. I was reading some articles about him, the Pitt DB's can't cover him in practice, he's a beast. He's having to adjust to a new QB this year, so his numbers may be down slightly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

You mean Baldwin? Theres no player that goes to Pitt named Jonathan Brewer lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would say there are major question marks vis a vis Quinn, if we are using the typical BB player as a guide.

He has character question marks, and not the kind that have to do with being competitive.

He has experience question marks, he is essentially coming out as a sophomore.

Physically he fits the part. I am not sure if he is the type of guy BB usually likes to get though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's a little research I did for another post on another thread.  I will try to break down each position historically and provide an update later to see if there are other trends to give us insight into the mind of Mr. Belichick.

BB doesn't like to draft RBs or WRs for that matter.  He's made 101 selections during his tenure but has only drafted 6 RBs and 8 WRs.  That's 13.8% of the choices on these skilled positions although these positions typically account for 18.9% of the usual number of spots on the 53 man team.

Of these 14 picks only 1 has been in the first round, Maroney in 2007.  The rounds in the draft where he took these selections starting from 2010 and working back to 2000 are as follows:

WR: 3, 3, 7, 2, 5, 2, 2, 7
    RB: 6, 1, 4, 7, 3, 7

I'm not saying he won't spend draft picks on the RB position.  I'm saying he prefers to get his RBs and WR via trades or free agency.  RB in particular he's used late picks in rounds 6 and 7 for half of his selections.

In fact if you look at RBs and WRs we picked up via trade or as free agents between 2001 and 2009 you will see that this is the route BB usually takes to land this talent.  Below is the list of noteworthy RBs and FA acquired this way in two fewer years.  There are plenty of others at these positions who were not noteworthy.  The below list contains 18 players as compared to the 14 drafted and again half of those drafted players were late round picks that didn't stick.

WR: David Patton, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken

RB:  Antowain Smith, Marc Edwards, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Heath Evans, LaMont Jordan, Sammy Morris, Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, Fred Taylor

The lesson here is don't count on BB taking a WR or RB in the first round.  It is twice as likely that BB will take a WR in the first 3 rounds compared to the chance he will take a RB that high.  To put it another way...

Only 2% of our picks since 2000 were spent on RBs taken within the first 3 rounds.  Only 5% of our picks during the same period were used on WRs taken in the first three rounds.  That's a pathetic combined 7 premium picks out of 101 used on those two skill positions which normally account for 19% of roster spots.  So, BB will go after free agents nearly twice as often as he will drafting RBs or WRs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

[QUOTE]You mean Baldwin? Theres no player that goes to Pitt named Jonathan Brewer lol.
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]
    Alright I'll take your guy Jonathan Baldwin instead, but if a 6'6" WR from Pitt named Jotnathan Brewer ever comes out, I'm all over it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE] I like Jonathan Brewer WR from Pitt with Oaklands pick. He's 6'5"-6'6" 230lbs. They say he runs a 4.37 but we will see at the combine, if he comes out he's a junior. He has a 42" vertical leap, and great hands. He attacks the ball and catches it at its highest point. He can stretch the field, but not afraid to go over middle. He is also a workout warrior. He works out and runs routes relentlessly. I was reading some articles about him, the Pitt DB's can't cover him in practice, he's a beast. He's having to adjust to a new QB this year, so his numbers may be down slightly.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]

Sorry man but I just don't see Baldwin as a top 15 WR. I think he's going to be a late 1st round pick, comparable to Thomas this past year. His biggest issue is his lack of burst in cuts and his inability to create seperation, again like Thomas. He's a large body right now that uses his size to make catches but that might not translate into the pro's. There's a large number of sizable WR's picked in the 1st who just couldn't cut it in the NFL do to the lack of seperation and route running. You also exaggerated his speed. From most reports I see he has slightly above average speed (~4.5) but can't use it to gain separation and doesn't stretch the field as well as one would hope. He's big but can be covered 1v1. Essentially he's a bigger but slower version of Tate without the cutting ability. I'd rather see what Price and Tate can do and fix the D or the Oline before taking a WR high.

Now if you are talking about James Brewer the RT from Indiana projected to go late 2nd then I'm all for it. Having him and Vollmer ancher the corners of the Oline would be great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Hi Nate, Missed your call on him, he looks like a prototypical OT.  This is what I'm thinking on an OT, Voll is almost a lock at move to LT right?  I don't see BB spending a 1st rounder on a RT and if he keeps playing well and does well as expected in offseason workouts he will probably be a top 20 pick because of the lack of elite OTs in this draft. RTs are 2nd and 3rd rounds. Guy in that area I like is Gabe Carimi 6'7" 322. Pass blocking: Has the elite agility and nimble feet to protect the quarterback's blindside. Very difficult to turn the corner against because of his lateral movement and solid footwork. Also protects the inside lane well. Delivers a strong hand punch capable of knocking back an opponent, and is able to recoil and extend again. Uses his length to block his man with one hand and knock an edge blitzer off his path with the other. Quick to cut on bubble screens and reverses, though he could get more of his man's legs to be truly effective. Bends at the waist while engaged; usually holds on to prevent secondary rush but will also end up on the ground too often. Run blocking: Known as an athletic pass protector, but is a strong blocker for the Badger run game. Has strong upper and lower body builds despite his height. Plays with leverage against stout defensive ends and tackles on the edge, can get under their pads and churn his legs to move them down or off the line. Effective combo blocker, gets a hand on a tackle and still manages to push ends out of the play on strong-side runs. Leans or bends at the waist to latch on at times, will get shed and lose his balance. Pulling/trapping: Usually not asked to pull or trap from the outside, but down-blocks often and has the quickness and footwork to move behind the line. Gets his quick hands out in front to get a piece of inside defenders before moving to the MIKE linebacker. Can sustain blocks in space because of his length and nimble feet. Initial Quickness: Elite first step in his kick slide and lateral movement, does not get beat off the edge very often. Also explodes off the ball on run plays, is capable of driving his man back a few yards. Defenders will take advantage of the quickness to take him upfield or knock him off balance, however. Downfield: Excellent footwork and agility to get downfield. Reaches linebackers at the second level and defensive backs further downfield equally well. Knows the proper angle to cut off defenders from the ballcarrier. Good lateral movement once engaged, gives effort to sustain against smaller defenders. Tends to bend at the waist and punch instead of moving after initial contact. Intangibles: Solid player with strong work ethic, as well as football and general intelligence. Received multiple Academic All-American and All-Big Ten awards. Missed three games in 2008 with right MCL sprain, but played through maladies in 2009: slight tear in right MCL scarring, left AC joint (shoulder) sprain, H1N1 virus. Fasted for 24 hours before 2008 game against Iowa in observance of Yom Kippur.

Yeah i had solder on my wish list when he was a projected 2-3 round pick. Gabe Carimi sounds pretty good as well. when is he porjected to be taken?