2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Hey Faucet the reason I don't think they go T with the 17th is because the top 3 T's you can really list them as 1a-c. Though there are a number of teams looking at T's most of them also need QB's, WR's, and CB's much more. I envision a big run on skill position players early this year given the separation of talent from the upper level position players to the next level. So with our pick hopefully being very late and Car's pick we'll have a chance to grab 1 if not 2 of the top 3 G's or T's. Though I also think the DE/OLB tweener position is pretty deep too the drop off from a Watt/Kerrigan/Quinn to a Beal/Ayers/Houston is enough to make me think they try to get a top D player earlier rather then later.

I like Watt but he hasn't said he's entering the draft yet and truthfully I'm not sure who'd improve the team more. Watt on the DL or Nin being replaced by a premier rusher. Right now I'm thinking a DE/OLB tweener would be better used earlier since that's where most of our pressure should be generated given our D.

If the draft really gets crazy thouh and Kerrigan drops to 17 and somehow Watts comes out and drops to our pick I could see BB saying lets blow our load and grab Kerrigan at 17, Watt wih our pick and Cannon or Wisniewski with Car's pick but I don't think both Kerrigan and Watt will both fall. Maybe one but not both

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

I am not sold on Watt, he was invisible agst TCU; in fact that TCU game and the other Bowl games with Big 10 teams pretty much showed up the Big 10 for what it is this year - WEAK.

I expressed my support for Akeem Ayers  for Pats #1 pick too many times already ... but if a 3-4 DL is the #1 need, then I am taking Cam Jordan from Cal.  Great size, quickness and is a sack machine.

I think RB is a big need, and Demarco Murray is a great fit for the Pats.  My second choice would be Delone Carter from Syracuse. He blew the KSU dude out of the water. Either may be there in R3 ... so its not a big cost for the Pats.

I still would like to see a WR drafted ... a tall long ball threat. Hankerson form Miami should be there for our 64th in R2. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

What does the board think about Justin Houston OLB (Georgia) for Pats 32 or 33 pick? Sack machine with great size!

I am thinking if no Ayers go this way for R1-3:
    17 - Cam Jordan DE
    32 - Justin Houston  OLB
    33-  Wisniewski or Cannon or Love (whoever is left) OL
    64 - Jimmy Smith or Curtis Brown CB
    73 - Hankerson or Pettis WR
    96 - Delone Carter  RB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : fyy, I wasn't able to watch the game close enough (too much going on at the local Buffalo Wild Wings) to form any sort of opinion on his performance. My opinion of the Oakland pick remains the same, best non-QB available with Janoris Jenkins, Watt, Kerrigan, Julio and maybe Cameron Jordan (though Jordan's listed weight may not meet their preferences, he really impresses me) as the 5 to keep an eye on.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

MB i was unimpressed with Watt. What I mean is I was unimpressed with Watt based on the "HYPE" of Faucet. God love Faucet for all the info he generates. It makes finding info a lot easier to just read here but he gets enamored with some guys each year.

That being said Watt played OK. TCU did seem to game plan specific for him but Watt ran himself right out of a number of plays. He's undisciplined, at least in that one game. Might have been trying to do too much, more than just his job maybe. It's the only game I have seen on him so can't really say positively.

Not a top 16 or 17 type performance in a big game though from him.

I do like the very small bit i got to see of Cameron Jordan so far. While Julio looks great I am am philosophically opposed to taking WR's so high, no matter who they are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody have any feedback from yesterdays game on Jeremy Kerley, the WR/PR/KR from TCU?  I've seen his stat line (6-58) but was curious how quick/fluid/sudden/agile he looked.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yes, he flashes skills.

Reminds me , at times, of Josh Cribbs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

First: 3/25/2010
    Last: 1/2/2011
    I am not sold on Watt, he was invisible agst TCU; in fact that TCU game and the other Bowl games with Big 10 teams pretty much showed up the Big 10 for what it is this year - WEAK.

====================================================

I'm not that big a fan of Watt - but I think TCU totally out coached Wisconsin. 
    TCU had a plan to reduce the impact of Watt in that game, and the 
    Wisconsin coaches did nothing to counter.  Makes me wonder if Watt has 
    gotten the best of coaching, and maybe he has even more upside than we
    see.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I don´t know as much as some of you guys... so i have a question for you. Last year, everybody in this same Forum was saying that last year draft class was a pretty good one, with a lot of depth in key positions... So my question is this DO YOU THINK THIS DRAFT CLASS IS A GOOD ONE? DOES IT HAVE DEPTH AS LAST YEARS?  If it is a good one i see the Pats drafting 4 or 5 new kids in the three first rounds... if not i only see them drafting one guy per round and pushing up lots of picks to next year´s draft. What do you think ?
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

No one will know until long AFTER Jan 15th.

Last year the consensus opinion by the so called experts changed dramatically leading up to the draft.

If you want a learning exercise pay attention right now to where talent is ranked and rated and then check it 3-2-1 day before draft day.

It will look dramatically different.

Last year the early talk was that it was a good d-line class and horrible defensive back class and about a week before the draft the consensus is that it was the other way around.

The early news is generally based on "feeling" from watching the season. The latter news is generally based on extensive scrutinizing of more and more game film.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Jordan Todman, Shane Vereen declare for 2011 NFL Draft

After last night's blowout loss to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, UConn running back Jordan Todman has announced that he will enter the 2011 NFL Draft, per Zac Boyer of the Hartford Courant.

"I felt like it was the right time for me," Todman said. "I stand pretty good with the competition … me and my family decided it's the right decision for me."

After a three-year career at UConn, Todman ranks second all-time in rushing yards (3,179) and rushing attempts (616) in school history.

Per the San Jose Mercury News, another running back to declare himself eligible for the 2011 NFL Draft was California's Shane Vereen, who graduated one month ago.

Over the past month my family and I have been discussing a very tough decision,” said Vereen in a statement released by the school . “After much thought and deliberation we decided that this was the best time for us to move forward and enter the 2011 NFL Draft. I cherish my time at Cal and wouldn’t trade it for anything. This was one of the toughest decisions I have made, but feel like I will always be a part of the Cal family. I leave Cal with a degree and great memories. Go Bears!”

Vereen, who backed up Detroit's Jahvid Best for his first two seasons, rushed for 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns this season.

MockingTheDraft.com ranks Vereen and Todman as their 76th and 91st overall prospects in this year's draft.

The four running backs they rank higher are Mark Ingram (Alabama), Mikel Leshoure (Illinois), LaMichael James (Oregon) and Ryan Williams (Virginia Tech).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I am not sold on Watt, he was invisible agst TCU; in fact that TCU game and the other Bowl games with Big 10 teams pretty much showed up the Big 10 for what it is this year - WEAK. I expressed my support for Akeem Ayers  for Pats #1 pick too many times already ... but if a 3-4 DL is the #1 need, then I am taking Cam Jordan from Cal.  Great size, quickness and is a sack machine. I think RB is a big need, and Demarco Murray is a great fit for the Pats.  My second choice would be Delone Carter from Syracuse. He blew the KSU dude out of the water. Either may be there in R3 ... so its not a big cost for the Pats. I still would like to see a WR drafted ... a tall long ball threat. Hankerson form Miami should be there for our 64th in R2.   
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]

I wasn't that impressed with Ayers after watching him play.  He's a versatile, athletic and active kid, but he really didn't do much/had little impact in the game.  I think he'll be in the discussion due to his size/speed/athleticsim/versatility, but I definitely prefer Kerrigan at 17 given the choice.

I'm with you on Cameron Jordan, I had posted about him a bit earlier and am really impressed with what I see out of him in the vid's that I've been able to find.  Below is what I posted about him on 12/22:

Word on Jordan is that he's scheme diverse but projects best as a 5-tech.  At 280-285 pounds, he's a bit lighter than BB would prefer so I'll be curious to see how he weighs in at the pre-draft events. 

I just took a look at some vid of him to see what stood out to me, below are my thoughts.

*Looks explosive off the snap.
    *Shows some short area quickness.
    *Uses his hands well.
    *Has the ability to split the double team.

*Gives a good effort.
    *Shows awareness/ability to locate the football.
    *Strong at the POA.
    *Shows the ability to penetrate, collapse the pocket.

I disagree with RB and no longer think it's a big need at all, Benny is their first 1000 yard back since 2004 and Woody is a great change of pace type, I do think they draft a back though at some point and may also target a guy like Brian Leonard in FA.  I'm not high on Murray, while he's a good receiving threat out of the backfield, his career YPC average is pretty weak (4.23 YPC over the last two years and 453 carries).  I'd prefer they take a back that can pound the ball between the tackles a bit more, yet has some burst.

I'd prefer Delone Carter in Round 4 or 5 than Murray in 2 or 3 which is the range I think each will be selected in.  Carter does have some character issues (arrested on assault charges) that need to be looked into though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

You guys do realize that BB is going to trade down, or out, of I'd say at least 3 of the top 7 picks we have, right?!  There is NO way the Pats draft all seven picks in the first four rounds alone.  You know teams will get desperate and call us to move up.  2nd round picks will become 1's, 3's will become 2's,.........  It's nice to stockpile picks.  Given this teams current success, why would anyone want to use up all of our stockpiled picks in one draft?  BB will continue his track record of moving picks.  GO PATS!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

For the film I've seen on Akeem Ayers so far I am starting to think this class is not that great because for all the talk about him I was like Really? Why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]What does the board think about Justin Houston OLB (Georgia) for Pats 32 or 33 pick? Sack machine with great size! I am thinking if no Ayers go this way for R1-3: 17 - Cam Jordan DE 32 - Justin Houston  OLB 33-  Wisniewski or Cannon or Love (whoever is left) OL 64 - Jimmy Smith or Curtis Brown CB 73 - Hankerson or Pettis WR 96 - Delone Carter  RB
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]
    Count me among those sold on Houston in the 32/33 range.  Give him a year to develop.  I also like Pettis and Hankerson but not before pick 64.  Who do you cut to clear room on the roster?  At most we'll carry 6 WR on the 53 man team.  Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price and Slater are the 6 now. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm not an Ayers fan.  I saw him once against Oregon and he gave up by the 2nd quarter.  You can't quit when your team is down.  For all you Watt haters, how many games did you see him play?  One quasi bad Bowl game shouldn't define a player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone see the film out there of the NC vs BC game? The supposedly great Robert Quinn was completely stoned and toyed with by Anthony Costanzo.

That is so often the case why BB and the rest of the NFL for that matter do not often take 3-4 DE/OLB types high in the draft.

Think about how many every down every game great rushers there are or have been in the league. Very few.

So hard to predict. So many of the good ones in college disappear when ever they face starting NFL Tackle caliber players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Jordan Todman, Shane Vereen declare for 2011 NFL Draft After last night's blowout loss to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl , UConn running back Jordan Todman has announced that he will enter the 2011 NFL Draft, per Zac Boyer of the Hartford Courant . " I felt like it was the right time for me ," Todman said. "I stand pretty good with the competition … me and my family decided it's the right decision for me." After a three-year career at UConn, Todman ranks second all-time in rushing yards (3,179) and rushing attempts (616) in school history. Per the San Jose Mercury News , another running back to declare himself eligible for the 2011 NFL Draft was California's Shane Vereen, who graduated one month ago. “ Over the past month my family and I have been discussing a very tough decision ,” said Vereen in a statement released by the school . “After much thought and deliberation we decided that this was the best time for us to move forward and enter the 2011 NFL Draft. I cherish my time at Cal and wouldn’t trade it for anything. This was one of the toughest decisions I have made, but feel like I will always be a part of the Cal family. I leave Cal with a degree and great memories. Go Bears!” Vereen, who backed up Detroit's Jahvid Best for his first two seasons, rushed for 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns this season. MockingTheDraft.com ranks Vereen and Todman as their 76th and 91st overall prospects in this year's draft. The four running backs they rank higher are Mark Ingram (Alabama), Mikel Leshoure (Illinois), LaMichael James (Oregon) and Ryan Williams (Virginia Tech).
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I like what I've seen from Todman.  He's not very big (5-9 193), but runs with good power, balance and toughness and has some good speed/burst to his game, he can also catch the football.  He was basically UConn's offense and would be a solid selection in the 2-3 round range, IMO.  Plus, he went to HS an hour south of Foxboro, so there is a local tie in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Ayers was a one man wrecking crew against Houston and Texas.  Neither team could block him.  Granted neither team finished well but at the time they were both nationally ranked. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Jordan Todman, Shane Vereen declare for 2011 NFL Draft After last night's blowout loss to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl , UConn running back Jordan Todman has announced that he will enter the 2011 NFL Draft, per Zac Boyer of the Hartford Courant . " I felt like it was the right time for me ," Todman said. "I stand pretty good with the competition … me and my family decided it's the right decision for me." After a three-year career at UConn, Todman ranks second all-time in rushing yards (3,179) and rushing attempts (616) in school history. Per the San Jose Mercury News , another running back to declare himself eligible for the 2011 NFL Draft was California's Shane Vereen, who graduated one month ago. “ Over the past month my family and I have been discussing a very tough decision ,” said Vereen in a statement released by the school . “After much thought and deliberation we decided that this was the best time for us to move forward and enter the 2011 NFL Draft. I cherish my time at Cal and wouldn’t trade it for anything. This was one of the toughest decisions I have made, but feel like I will always be a part of the Cal family. I leave Cal with a degree and great memories. Go Bears!” Vereen, who backed up Detroit's Jahvid Best for his first two seasons, rushed for 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns this season. MockingTheDraft.com ranks Vereen and Todman as their 76th and 91st overall prospects in this year's draft. The four running backs they rank higher are Mark Ingram (Alabama), Mikel Leshoure (Illinois), LaMichael James (Oregon) and Ryan Williams (Virginia Tech).

I like what I've seen from Todman.  He's not very big (5-9 193), but runs with good power, balance and toughness and has some good speed/burst to his game, he can also catch the football.  He was basically UConn's offense and would be a solid selection in the 2-3 round range, IMO.  Plus, he went to HS an hour south of Foxboro, so it'd be nice to get a local kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not an Ayers fan.  I saw him once against Oregon and he gave up by the 2nd quarter.  You can't quit when your team is down.  For all you Watt haters, how many games did you see him play?  One quasi bad Bowl game shouldn't define a player.

Hey Faucet I don't hate Watt and I also clearly stated I only saw him in the bowl game and did not give him a definitive opinion.

I simply gave my review on him from the bowl game.

I also liken my impression of him similar to when i go see a movie later after everyone says how great it is and then I go see it and its good but doesn't match what my perceptions had been built up to be.

That's probably unjust for Watt from me but the way everyone talked about him I expected to see something special. Like the game Marcel Dareus had vs Michigan State.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Yes, he flashes skills. Reminds me , at times, of Josh Cribbs.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Low.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Seattle won so where does that leave the Oak pick Faucet?

18?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

yep 18 sadly, but i will take it for a player who we wouldn't have been able to resign anyways.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

WRT Ayers, I live out west and have seen him play a few times; he was impressive each time.  I did not see the Oregon v. UCLA game, but I can image that the entire UCLA Defense just plain ran out of gas ... that Quack Attack is a D killer, they did it to Stanford - a heck of a team in their own right. 

Regarding the WR roster issue - very good point - I guess I am being impacted by the negativity emanating from the Globesters towards Tate and Price.  I like Tate, but Tom's reluctance to throw balls to him is disconcerting.  His injury history has really hurt his development as a pass catcher and route runner.  But if BB thinks Tate and Price are REAL receivers, then, for sure Pats should NOT draft a WR in 2011 draft.

I'd rather try and get a CB - a Jimmy Smith, Curtis Brown or Ras-I Dowling - with the draft pick.  Wilhite is not an NFL player, and Butler may not be either ....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Can anyone provide any insight on UVA CB Ras-I Dowling?  Last year I remember seeing him projected as a potential 1st round pick, but he didn't end up coming out.  I don't think I ever saw him play this year, and I haven't heard much hype about him either.  Did he have a poor season, get hurt, or was he just never that great to begin with?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey Low, My comments about Watt haters weren't directed at you.  A lot of people on a lot of threads were trashing him today.  Hey, it's fair game.  People don't have to agree with me and I'm far from being an expert.  If I was, I'd be on TV or working in a front office getting paid for this stuff.  I'm just an average fan that watches a lot of football.

Watt didn't have a great game.  I was disappointed too.  I think he could have hurt his draft status with that performance, which might be good for us.  But having watched him 5-6 times now I know he's capable of playing much better.  I think TCU specifically schemed for him.  Sometimes good coaching and execution can take a great player out of a game.  We ought to know a little something about that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Seattle won so where does that leave the Oak pick Faucet? 18?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Should be 17 guys.  Seattle won their division so they move into the 20s.  Play-off teams pick after non-play-off teams regardless of record.  JAC had the weaker schedule, just barely, .453 to .469 (4 games) so they pick ahead of OAK.  Our pick is 17.