2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : BB likes his 34 DE's at or above 300, it's that simple.  If a kid is a big mess and can't move, you don't draft him.  It's no concidence that they're 3 best DL of the past decade (Big Sey, Ty, Vince) were 1st round picks. A guy that can pressure the pocket is a huge plus, but you also have to realize that the main function of a BB 34 DE is to eat up blockers and control gaps thus freeing up the LB's to make plays.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

But not on third and long. The main function of the defense then is to get off the field, which they have had little success doing for 3 years.

And considering (Reiss and others have it documented pretty well) that the base 3-4 is used only about 40% of the time, that argument starts to hold less and less water.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Not about been a fattie its about taking on double teams (two 300+ lb men every play), lighter guys usually don't hold up to that and are moved easily.  The worst is when a guy then doesn't command a double because that frees up an OL to take on the LBs. Now for Jordan, I've read where he's an extremely strong kid.  So could be that he can hold ground because of pure strength.  Pass rush although can be generated from the 34DE spot, that's the role of the OLBs.  They are the sack getters, the DEs need to command that double so the LBs are free to run to the QB. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

You're not talking about 260 pound ends here. Both Jordan and Watt are a bisquit shy of the magic 300.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pick TeamPlayerPositionPosted By
    1 CarBlaine GabbertQBpats7393
    2 DenPatrick Peterson (BPA)CBMbeaulieu07
    3 BufMarcell Dareus            DTPChungAllDay25
    4 CinCam NewtonQBQuagmire3
    5 Ari   Von Miller                  LBPatsEng
    6 CleAJ GreenWRNateSubs
    7 SFPrince AmukamaraCBKyleCleric
    8 TenDa’Quan BowersDEMbeaulieu07
    *9 DalNick FairleyDEChanged
    10 WasJulio JonesWRpats7393
    *11 HouRobert QuinnDE/OLBChanged
    *12 MinJake LockerQBChanged
    13 DetTyron SmithOTChanged
    14 StLAldon SmithDE/OLBPatsEng
    15 MiaMark IngramHBSportslover21
    *16 JacCameron JordanDEChanged
    *17 NEJ.J. WattDEChanged
    *18 SDMuhammad WilkersonDEChanged
    *19 NYGAnthony CastonzoOTChanged
    20 TBRyan KerriganDE/OLBPatsEng
    21 KCPhil TaylorNTTittletownfan
    22 IndMike PounceyOG/Cpats7393
    *23 PhiNate SoldierOTChanged
    24 NOAdrian ClaybornDEKyleCleric
    *25 SJimmy SmithCBChanged
    *26 Bal Brandon Harris CB Changed
    *27 Atl Gabe Camiri                               OT           Changed
    *28 NE Brooks Reed DE/OLB Changed
    *29 ChiDerek SherrodOTChanged
    *30 NYJ Cameron Heyward DE Changed
    *31 Pit Martez WilsonLBChanged
    32 GB Mikel LeShoure RB PatsEng

Now that the final pick is in I thought it would be fun to change a couple picks to where I think players end up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PChungAllDay25. Show PChungAllDay25's posts

[QUOTE]Pick   Team Player Position Posted By 1   Car Blaine Gabbert QB pats7393 2   Den Patrick Peterson (BPA) CB Mbeaulieu07 3   Buf Marcell Dareus             DT PChungAllDay25 4   Cin Cam Newton QB Quagmire3 5   Ari    Von Miller                   LB PatsEng 6   Cle AJ Green WR NateSubs 7   SF Prince Amukamara CB KyleCleric 8   Ten Da’Quan Bowers DE Mbeaulieu07 *9   Dal Nick Fairley DE Changed 10   Was Julio Jones WR pats7393 *11   Hou Robert Quinn DE/OLB Changed *12   Min Jake Locker QB Changed 13   Det Tyron Smith OT Changed 14   StL Aldon Smith DE/OLB PatsEng 15   Mia Mark Ingram HB Sportslover21 *16   Jac Cameron Jordan DE Changed *17   NE J.J. Watt DE Changed *18   SD Muhammad Wilkerson DE Changed *19   NYG Anthony Castonzo OT Changed 20   TB Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB PatsEng 21   KC Phil Taylor NT Tittletownfan 22   Ind Mike Pouncey OG/C pats7393 *23   Phi Nate Soldier OT Changed 24   NO Adrian Clayborn DE KyleCleric *25   S Jimmy Smith CB Changed *26   Bal  Brandon Harris  CB  Changed *27   Atl  Gabe Camiri                               OT           Changed *28   NE  Brooks Reed  DE/OLB  Changed *29   Chi Derek Sherrod OT Changed *30   NYJ  Cameron Heyward  DE  Changed *31   Pit  Martez Wilson LB Changed 32   GB  Mikel LeShoure  RB  PatsEng Now that the final pick is in I thought it would be fun to change a couple picks to where I think players end up.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I like the changes its actually where I see those players more likely ending up.Definately the Houston pick of Jimmy Smith needed to be changed along with the Pats taking wilkerson at 17 if they wanted him they could trade down some spots and still get him.J.J Watt seems more like the Pats guy if he is there at 17.And Brooks Reed is probably my favorite player out of the prospects so I definately like that pick I just see his explosiveness and strength really helping out that pass rush.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]Pick   Team Player Position Posted By 1   Car Blaine Gabbert QB pats7393 2   Den Patrick Peterson (BPA) CB Mbeaulieu07 3   Buf Marcell Dareus             DT PChungAllDay25 4   Cin Cam Newton QB Quagmire3 5   Ari    Von Miller                   LB PatsEng 6   Cle AJ Green WR NateSubs 7   SF Prince Amukamara CB KyleCleric 8   Ten Da’Quan Bowers DE Mbeaulieu07 *9   Dal Nick Fairley DE Changed 10   Was Julio Jones WR pats7393 *11   Hou Robert Quinn DE/OLB Changed *12   Min Jake Locker QB Changed 13   Det Tyron Smith OT Changed 14   StL Aldon Smith DE/OLB PatsEng 15   Mia Mark Ingram HB Sportslover21 *16   Jac Cameron Jordan DE Changed *17   NE J.J. Watt DE Changed *18   SD Muhammad Wilkerson DE Changed *19   NYG Anthony Castonzo OT Changed 20   TB Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB PatsEng 21   KC Phil Taylor NT Tittletownfan 22   Ind Mike Pouncey OG/C pats7393 *23   Phi Nate Soldier OT Changed 24   NO Adrian Clayborn DE KyleCleric *25   S Jimmy Smith CB Changed *26   Bal  Brandon Harris  CB  Changed *27   Atl  Gabe Camiri                               OT           Changed *28   NE  Brooks Reed  DE/OLB  Changed *29   Chi Derek Sherrod OT Changed *30   NYJ  Cameron Heyward  DE  Changed *31   Pit  Martez Wilson LB Changed 32   GB  Mikel LeShoure  RB  PatsEng Now that the final pick is in I thought it would be fun to change a couple picks to where I think players end up.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You have made Faucetment and MB happy by taking Watt and Reed.  But you have angered the other camp in support of Wilkerson and Houston/Sheard.  We will see who the Pats actually take.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't caught up on everyone's ideas over the night.  But I will later today.  This morning I was reading a post by Natesubs on another thread and his idea, which isn't new, started to make a ton of sense to me.  BB has a plan for 17.  I'm convinced that he does otherwise trading 28 away limits him.  So having/not having 28 has no bearing on his plan at 17.  BB has an A plan and a B plan and he is 100% certain he will be able to execute one of these plans with 17 and without needing 28. BB has a small draft board with 30-40 players spread out through the draft.  He moves around to get players from his board.  A while ago, MB posted a list of about 100 BB type players.  MB illustrates this but I think BB's board is even smaller than this by draft day.  He wants high character, hard working, devoted, talented and smart players with leadership ability.  So, after setting this up, I now feel confident that I know BB's Plan A and Plan B for pick 17.  A conversion DE type isn't his plan in the first round. Plan A - A slipping JJ Watt.   If Watt falls into the range where pick 74 can go up and get him.  If Watt is there at 12 MIN, who may want a QB and their pick 74 back, may agree to the trade as MIN could get Mallett at 17 assuming MIA and JAX aren't interested.  Or, BB waits to see if Watt makes it all the way to 17.  In any event, JJ Watt is Plan A. Plan B - Gabe Carimi.   Most everyone has Carimi as the 3rd rated OT.  He will be there!!  Carimi can play LT, OG and RT.  RT I believe is his best fit.  This would be the highest BB has ever taking an OL type.  But he's all about value and Carimi solves potentially 3 uncertainties and saves us $10MM.  That is tremendous value for a pick 17.  If Mankins holds out, Carimi can step inside at LG.  Light passed on a reported $7MM contract extension.  Kaczur is set to make $3.5MM and refused a pay cut.  If we draft Carimi, we say good bye to Kaz and if Light walks, Vollmer moves to LT, Carimi to RT and we draft a LG later on to cover Mankins.  VALUE, VALUE, VALUE.  Carimi saving us $10MM (less his rookie contract) and can play all OL positions but Center is tremendous value. This is why BB isn't afraid to trade down from 28.  If he gets Carimi, he doesn't need 28.  If he gets Watt, he still doesn't need 28 because he can come up with 33 and get Carimi allowing pick 28 to be dealt to SD.  Castonzo likely comes off to DET.  Smith can't play inside, Solder can't play inside.  Sherrod could but I think Carimi is the man.  Kraft went to a Wisconsin game and got to see plan A and plan B play.  The perfect ending to this would be JJ Watt and Gabe Carimi in round 1 while maintaining a pair of 2nds.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucetman,
     How and why did Von Miller's stock move up to where he is a top 7 pick? I do not think that he is a player that NE would want even at 17. My reason: 
    He is6'3 - 243 lbs, so, would we want him to play OLB in our system?

Ken

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I think with any pick you have to have reasons why you make the decision. There should be numerous ones that make it a clear decision process.

I always take exception when someone wants to take a position and or player over another and when you ask why they say I just like him better.

An argument should always be able to be made clearly pointing to why the player is a better option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You're not talking about 260 pound ends here. Both Jordan and Watt are a bisquit shy of the magic 300.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

I preffer for them to add good weight than biscuit weight.  Like I said Jordan is said to be very strong, so him being 287 might not be a big deal.  Watt is also in that category, now adding weight 13 and 10 lbs might now sound like much but Watt already looks very built, Jordan as well.  Some guys might not carry those extra lbs around and get the same quickness.

I'm for either of those guys but both are not what has been a preference of BB as a 34 DE. 

I think both 1st year would gain playing time as season goes on.  I'll even go this far, if Jordan and Watt are there at 16 (I know I get crazy sometimes) I offer the Jags the 28 and 60th or 74 and take Jordan and Watt at 16 and 17.  Point system, 16 = 1,000 the 28th is 660 and 60 300 that's 960 so Pats might have to throw in a 6th rnd to close the deal.

Now how much would fans scream if you got two of the top 4 DEs in the draft?  At 33 get Reed, Sheard or Houston say it cost the 60th get OL help in the 3rd and 4th in the 5th and 6th get a RB and a development type WR or another OL

So for all those DE freaks
    16 (28 and 60 to Jags) Watt DE
    17 Jordan DE/Elephant LB
    33 Sheard OLB
    74 Carpenter OT/OG
    92 Moffitt OG/C
    4th Rnd Housler TE/WR
    5th Tim Barnes C/OG
    6th Justin Rogers CB

Jags are rummored to be in the hunt for a QB which makes no sense to take one at 16 for them but at 28 they would have their pick of Luck, Dalton, Ponder, Mallet.  With the 60th they could go after Ballard, Bailey, maybe Acho for their 43 DE type need.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Faucetman,  How and why did Von Miller's stock move up to where he is a top 7 pick? I do not think that he is a player that NE would want even at 17. My reason:  He is 6'3 - 243 lbs, so, would we want him to play OLB in our system? Ken
    Posted by kenscreen[/QUOTE]

Lawrence Taylor 6'2 and change 237 pounds

Not saying Von is him but it can be done...

The issue with his stock initially considered maybe lower is that teams payed a lot of attention to him this year so his production was slightly off.

Also it has been said that he too often does not have an all the time motor where if he does not beat his man right away with speed he might not continue with the same effort to fight through the blocks or that he will not chase a player from the back side or past the line of scrimmage.

Ultimately I think people felt they were being overly harsh in over analysis and that his ridiculous speed and calculated explosion numbers make the other things more forgivable.

This is how human nature is. People used to be aggravated by the fair number of drops Moss made at times but then he would make the circus catch and all is forgiven.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

Hey guys unbelievable thread!  Thank so much for all the hard work.

This question may have been asked/answered somewhere in here but let me ask again:  is there no trading into NEXT YEAR'S draft picks this year?!  This is what Kiper/McShay were saying and that's the first I heard it.  That's a big deal for us if its true.  I think it makes trading UP far more likely for BB.

Also 7393:  love the pats getting BOTH Watt AND Cam Jordan.  That would be sick.

Go pats!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys unbelievable thread!  Thank so much for all the hard work. This question may have been asked/answered somewhere in here but let me ask again:  is there no trading into NEXT YEAR'S draft picks this year?!  This is what Kiper/McShay were saying and that's the first I heard it.  That's a big deal for us if its true.  I think it makes trading UP far more likely for BB. Also 7393:  love the pats getting BOTH Watt AND Cam Jordan.  That would be sick. Go pats!
    Posted by LAPats[/QUOTE]

Thanks LA

and regarding the future picks, they can trade at their own risk which is what I heard the league told teams.  you can trade the picks for 2012 but if there's not draft you are SOL I guess.  I'm certain there will be a draft, there's no way players go a full season without a paycheck. Some of these guys live pay check to pay check so they need to get paid, they'll get this done.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : But not on third and long. The main function of the defense then is to get off the field, which they have had little success doing for 3 years. And considering (Reiss and others have it documented pretty well) that the base 3-4 is used only about 40% of the time, that argument starts to hold less and less water.

Getting of the field on 3rd down is a team issue and not solely tied to the DL.

And as I've stated before, 57% sub-package doesn't = not in a 34, 57% of the time, atleast not from what Reiss has been able to communicate.  It simply means they are not in their base 34 alignment 57% of the time, which would mean nickle/dime, anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder what the odds are Gabbert gets picked number one overall. Cant say it wont happen, but I'm betting it doesn't. My question, is Gabbert a franchise changer? Drafting a QB number one overall, can kill an organization for a few years. Now, Luck on the other hand is going to be something special.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Gabbert is that type of QB IMO, he's got all the tools and difference between him and Luck is accuracy and decision making.  Luck doesn't have either of those two in the pocket.  Both move well out of the pocket and have above average arms, Luck having a stronger one but he doesn't take care of the ball because of his decision making. 

I think Gabbert in the interviews I've seen has "it" what ever that is.  He just commands attention, Luck almost has a clausen type personality around him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You're not talking about 260 pound ends here. Both Jordan and Watt are a bisquit shy of the magic 300.

Let me know where I can find 10 and 13 pound biscuits.  Once you've done that, please list the sub-300 DL taken by BB before Rd 4 during his time in NE.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : You have made Faucetment and MB happy by taking Watt and Reed.  But you have angered the other camp in support of Wilkerson and Houston/Sheard.  We will see who the Pats actually take.
    Posted by TrustBill[/QUOTE]

I do like Watt and Reed a lot, but I'm certainly no oppposed to Wilkerson, Sheard or Houston. 

I watched some tape on Sheard earlier and came away very impressed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Let me know where I can find 10 and 13 pound biscuits.  Once you've done that, please list the sub-300 DL taken by BB before Rd 4 during his time in NE....

He can have my share of this one lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Lawrence Taylor 6'2 and change 237 pounds Not saying Von is him but it can be done... The issue with his stock initially considered maybe lower is that teams payed a lot of attention to him this year so his production was slightly off. Also it has been said that he too often does not have an all the time motor where if he does not beat his man right away with speed he might not continue with the same effort to fight through the blocks or that he will not chase a player from the back side or past the line of scrimmage. Ultimately I think people felt they were being overly harsh in over analysis and that his ridiculous speed and calculated explosion numbers make the other things more forgivable. This is how human nature is. People used to be aggravated by the fair number of drops Moss made at times but then he would make the circus catch and all is forgiven.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Prob the most disruptive defender of all time and arguably the best individual player in the history of the league, IMO.  As for his size, he's been out of the league 18 years or so, so I'm not sure how relevant that size comparison is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : I do like Watt and Reed a lot, but I'm certainly no oppposed to Wilkerson, Sheard or Houston.  I watched some tape on Sheard earlier and came away very impressed.

Knew you would, he is very realistic option at 28 or 33. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Prob the most disruptive defender of all time and arguably the best individual player in the history of the league, IMO.  As for his size, he's been out of the league 18 years or so, so I'm not sure how relevant that size comparison is.

OL were not 6'7 300+lbs running 5.00 18 years ago.  The were a little soft around the middle and not the best of athletes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys unbelievable thread!  Thank so much for all the hard work. This question may have been asked/answered somewhere in here but let me ask again:  is there no trading into NEXT YEAR'S draft picks this year?!  This is what Kiper/McShay were saying and that's the first I heard it.  That's a big deal for us if its true.  I think it makes trading UP far more likely for BB. Also 7393:  love the pats getting BOTH Watt AND Cam Jordan.  That would be sick. Go pats!
    Posted by LAPats[/QUOTE]

It'll be sickening if neither works out. Ha Ha.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Don't like when you and others, present a really good argument on y not a certain player. So I don't want Heyward (motor runs on batteries and they are not duracell) you make a good argument why not Wilkerson.  I don't know Watt or Jordan make it to 17 although we had a shot at both on our mock (don't think Jags take Watt over a true 43 DE in Kerrigan) so that's it for me no DE really available in the 1st round unless they move up to 13 or 14 maybe? So I say like you go secure the best OT or move down a few spots (before Indy) and take Pouncey get a 3rd or 4th rndr.  I still think SD will go for Wilkerson they need a 34 DE.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    Sorry buddy.  I think JJ Watt is head and shoulders better and safer than Wilkerson.  Did anyone catch JJ's interview which we re-aired on NFL Network yesterday?  He basically said he gives 110% every play.  He said he will be the first one to work and last to leave.  That he will spend more time in the film room than anyone else.  He said his job is to wear down the guy he's facing until the guy doesn't want to play him anymore. 

I like JJ Watt and I have no doubt he can put on another 10 - 15 lbs on that 6-6 frame.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Sorry buddy.  I think JJ Watt is head and shoulders better and safer than Wilkerson.  Did anyone catch JJ's interview which we re-aired on NFL Network yesterday?  He basically said he gives 110% every play.  He said he will be the first one to work and last to leave.  That he will spend more time in the film room than anyone else.  He said his job is to wear down the guy he's facing until the guy doesn't want to play him anymore.  I like JJ Watt and I have no doubt he can put on another 10 - 15 lbs on that 6-6 frame.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Yeah he reminds me (body type) of Bruce Cambell last year, built like a brick house the only difference (big one) is Watt actually has production and is NFL ready IMO.  He's a muscular 290.

I like what Watt said Faucet, he's definitely saying all the right things. I think I'm starting to think you might not like Wilkerson at all lol. 

I think if BB likes Watt he won't be shy to move up and get him.  I like him more than Fairley and because of questions around Fairley Watt might break top 10 so might not even get a chance to move up into low teens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Prob the most disruptive defender of all time and arguably the best individual player in the history of the league, IMO.  As for his size, he's been out of the league 18 years or so, so I'm not sure how relevant that size comparison is.

OK does this one work better for you. Clay Mathews 6-3 240 at the combine.

Von Miller 6-3 246 at combine I think.

Your Era point is valid but if you use him in the same way as a clay he's going to have the same ability.

Remember we are not talking about a player necessarily for NE just one that warrants his draft stock in general.