2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***

Faucetman,

How do you really feel about this defense?  Earlier you wrote that you "took some heat" for not drafting a pass rusher in your projection.  I was thinking that you might be right.  I mean, this was the youngest defense in the league last year and we're only getting younger again this year.  Who really knows what this defense is truly capable of.  Would another year under their belts help the overall pass rush?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/24/mark-ingram-could-be-just-what-the-pats-need/

I've been hoping that the Pats select Ingram at #17 or even trade up to get him.  Here's the latest truth or smokescreen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***:
    [QUOTE]Faucetman, How do you really feel about this defense?  Earlier you wrote that you "took some heat" for not drafting a pass rusher in your projection.  I was thinking that you might be right.  I mean, this was the youngest defense in the league last year and we're only getting younger again this year.  Who really knows what this defense is truly capable of.  Would another year under their belts help the overall pass rush?
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]
    Army,

I feel like with Bodden and Warren coming back and the young players having another year under their belt that the D will already be improved.  If we have a chance to draft Watt or Jordan at 17, I think I would as either I believe could step in and start over Deaderick/Wright.  Both guys have elite speed and physical skill set and character to make an immediate impact.

But when it comes to a pass rusher from the second level I don't think any of the ones in range will start right away.  With a shortened preseason there just isn't time for a Kerrigan, Smith or Reed to digest the playbook and learn the responsibilities for dropping back, covering the TE or RB, setting the edge on running plays from a stand up, off the line position with different guys coming at them to block them from what they are used to as a hand-in-the-dirt 43 DE.  They won't just have an OT or occasional TE to deal with, they will have pulling guards and RBs coming at them from different angles.  Can these DE conversion types rush and learn to do the other things needed to beat out an improving Ninkovich or Cunningham?  In time yes, but not right away, certainly not in the first half of the season.

Off to the Sox/Angels game, looking for the 4 game sweep, Go SOX!!

Could be my last post until just hours before the draft.  Not ignoring anyone, going to Vegas for a trade show and getting back just before the Panthers go on the clock and make complete fools of themselves by drafting the next DeMarcus Russell/Vince Young.  I predicted it after the BCS Champ game, Newton will go #1 overall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/24/mark-ingram-could-be-just-what-the-pats-need/ I've been hoping that the Pats select Ingram at #17 or even trade up to get him.  Here's the latest truth or smokescreen.
    I waffle on Ingram.  Either he's the next Emmitt Smith or a two year, knee's gone bust.  I just don't know.  I think he's a risky pick especially at 17 but I do like him and think, as the story says, that he could provide our offense with a new dimension.  But I also think Mikel LeShoure has more upside and potential to do the things Ingram does with less risk and at a lower draft spot, say 33.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : I waffle on Ingram.  Either he's the next Emmitt Smith or a two year, knee's gone bust.  I just don't know.  I think he's a risky pick especially at 17 but I do like him and think, as the story says, that he could provide our offense with a new dimension.  But I also think Mikel LeShoure has more upside and potential to do the things Ingram does with less risk and at a lower draft spot, say 33.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I think Ingram is a bit risky at 17, but I would be thrilled if they got him at #28. He has too much value to pass up on there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

if we take him, it's because the medical checks out, so it would be a good pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]This is what I think needs to happen- #1 Trade up and select Quinn because you really can't wait around until the latter rounders if you're looking for a pass rusher.  #2 Select RB Mark Ingram at 28 because we need a true #1 RB.  The old man RB by committee thing isn't working and who knows if this year was a fluke with BJGE. #3 Select DE Cameron Heyward at 33 to satisfy the needs of the fan base. #4 Use later round picks on OL

LT, I could definitely live with that draft! Are you active duty? If so where stationed? Iam  retired Army, civilian working in Afghanistan right now. Wherever you are, stay safe!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Army, I feel like with Bodden and Warren coming back and the young players having another year under their belt that the D will already be improved.  If we have a chance to draft Watt or Jordan at 17, I think I would as either I believe could step in and start over Deaderick/Wright.  Both guys have elite speed and physical skill set and character to make an immediate impact. But when it comes to a pass rusher from the second level I don't think any of the ones in range will start right away.  With a shortened preseason there just isn't time for a Kerrigan, Smith or Reed to digest the playbook and learn the responsibilities for dropping back, covering the TE or RB, setting the edge on running plays from a stand up, off the line position with different guys coming at them to block them from what they are used to as a hand-in-the-dirt 43 DE.  They won't just have an OT or occasional TE to deal with, they will have pulling guards and RBs coming at them from different angles.  Can these DE conversion types rush and learn to do the other things needed to beat out an improving Ninkovich or Cunningham?  In time yes, but not right away, certainly not in the first half of the season. Off to the Sox/Angels game, looking for the 4 game sweep, Go SOX!! Could be my last post until just hours before the draft.  Not ignoring anyone, going to Vegas for a trade show and getting back just before the Panthers go on the clock and make complete fools of themselves by drafting the next DeMarcus Russell/Vince Young.  I predicted it after the BCS Champ game, Newton will go #1 overall.

FAUCETMAN- I agree with most of what you have said. However I strongly disagree with 2 of your points;

1) Do NOT give up so quickly on Darius Butler. I still believe he is going to be a player.Rremember his rookie year? This kid has talent. He did regress last year and I blame it on him getting a fat head, then getting torched by the Jets and he never recovered.

2) I think Mark Ingram is the real deal. More importantly I think BB likes him and is going to take him late in the first round.

Brother, enjoy vegas, and like Wesley Snipes said "always bet on black!" Have a safe trip!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : LT, I could definitely live with that draft! Are you active duty? If so where stationed? Iam  retired Army, civilian working in Afghanistan right now. Wherever you are, stay safe!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

I'm in Germany right now, but will be stateside in about a month.  Will you stay up to watch the draft?  1st round begins at 0200L here.  What does that make for you?  0430L?  I'll probably wake up here and there to catch pieces.  

Stay safe downrange.  I was in Zabul Province, how about you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]if we take him, it's because the medical checks out, so it would be a good pick.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I agree, if we do take him that means his knee is 100%.  I'm not sure he gets past NYG sitting at 19.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Mb, Curious as to why you'd remove local product, Jordan Todman?  Also curious why just the top TE is on your list.  I seriously doubt BB would take another TE high and cut Crumpler but stranger things have happened.  However, I think it possible for BB to draft a TE later on.  Hernandez seems to be a little fragile.  He was hurt coming out of college and then had a hip late in the season.  This draft is loaded with the speed TEs like Jordan Cameron, Virgil Green, DJ Williams and Rob Housler, all sub 4.60 guys.  Who's to say we need 2 blocking TE and one receiving TE instead of the other way around?  I like Luke Stocker and Lance Kendricks too.  Both guys can do a little blocking and catching and be had in that 74-92 range.  BB does seem to place a premium on TEs having drafted them high several times in the past.  Rudolph may be rated the highest but he isn't as good as Gronkowski by a long shot IMO.  Gronk was a steal at 42 and ATL could take Rudolph as high as 27.  Rudolph has serious injury concerns, great size but below average speed.  I realize he's coming back from a completely torn hamstring but 4.83?  Gronk ran a 4.60 at his Pro Day. HAPPY EASTER everyone!   

Faucet,
    I tried to stick with backs that were atleast 210 and above. 

As for the TE's, I'm not high on the class overall, but think Rudolph is going to be an excellent dual-threat TE down the road.  I've seen the kid play a lot and regardless of his time, he doesn't look like a 4.83 kid on the field, I'd have to guess he's closer to the 4.6+ range when completely healthy.

I do agree that a TE in the later rounds is a possibility as he taken one in 8 out of 11 drafts, so it would probably make sense for me to add another mid round and/or late round kid. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : I agree, if we do take him that means his knee is 100%.  I'm not sure he gets past NYG sitting at 19.
    I go back and forth on Ingram. If healthy, he'll be an impact performer and add a new dimension to the Pats offense. This draft was really set up to provide young talent for our offense. On the otherhand, I like Kerrigan and Aldon Smith a lot. They may be there at 17 and the addition of either would give us a potential impact rusher, seriously upgrading the defense.There are intriguing RB options later. I like Acho, Reed, Sheard, and Houston, but we may get more value out of a RB drafted in the third round than an OLB drafted in the second round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : FAUCETMAN- I agree with most of what you have said. However I strongly disagree with 2 of your points; 1) Do NOT give up so quickly on Darius Butler. I still believe he is going to be a player.Rremember his rookie year? This kid has talent. He did regress last year and I blame it on him getting a fat head, then getting torched by the Jets and he never recovered. 2) I think Mark Ingram is the real deal. More importantly I think BB likes him and is going to take him late in the first round. Brother, enjoy vegas, and like Wesley Snipes said "always bet on black!" Have a safe trip!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Great game but forgot my broom and just narrowly missed out on a foul ball.  There were more Sox fans than Angel's fans there, as usual.  Red Sox Nation is in force everywhere!!  Looks like the Sox are starting to heat up.  NICE.

I always bet on black brother, but still lose:). Last time in Vegas I was watching a roulette table.  15 reds in a row so I put $500 on black, came up 00 Green, just my luck.

Quag, you keep your head down over there too.  That place is a real sh*t hole.  Never been to Afghanistan but have spent enough time in the Persian Gulf to really despise the whole area.  I'll try not to make this political but the day is coming where we might have to turn the whole place into one massive glass parking lot; I hope not, nuff said.

I like Ingram, I really do.  But, he is a boom or bust player.  I think he could be something very special if he stays healthy.  If BB takes him in the first round I would consider it a surprise but not an earth shattering one.  I haven't totally given up on Butler but I wasn't impressed his rookie year either.  He has the size/speed you want but seems to lack instincts and technique.  I was actually for drafting him at the time.  He'll be on a very short leash this year and I hope he turns it around.  A low 40s bust would not be good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : Faucet, I tried to stick with backs that were atleast 210 and above.  As for the TE's, I'm not high on the class overall, but think Rudolph is going to be an excellent dual-threat TE down the road.  I've seen the kid play a lot and regardless of his time, he doesn't look like a 4.83 kid on the field, I'd have to guess he's closer to the 4.6+ range when completely healthy. I do agree that a TE in the later rounds is a possibility as he taken one in 8 out of 11 drafts, so it would probably make sense for me to add another mid round and/or late round kid. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the explanation.  We need a pair of RBs, a bulldozer that can catch and a take-it-to-the-house speed guy.  Todman was given a private workout and at 4.40, he seems to be a threat to take it all the way on any given play.

There is no question that Rudolph is the best dual threat TE in his class.  But if I look at the improvement in production from the TE position as a whole from 2009 to 2010, it is amazing.  For skill positions I still favor a stud RB or WR to another elite TE.  But there is no denying BB loves drafting the position, early and often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my final mock until draft day, as well as a list of potential URFA’s/7th round options:

The Mock:

1A- Ryan Kerrigan or Anthony Castonzo

1B- Danny Watkins or Muhammad Wilkerson

2A- Randall Cobb or Kyle Rudolph

2B- Brooks Reed or James Carpenter

3A- Jarvis Jenkins or Clint Boling

3B- Shane Vereen or Mason Foster

4th- Buster Skrine or Rock Carmicheal

5th- Mark Herzlich or Greg McElroy

6th- Tim Barnes or Darren Evans

URFA’s / 7th Rounders:

Mike Person- OT/OG
    - Montana State- The next late round/URFA OL for Scar to develop.

Mana Silva- S- Hawaii
    - Good size/speedcombo, 14 INT’s, 169 in career.

Ricky Lumpkin- DL- Kentucky
    - Good size for the 5 (6-4 313).

Jeff Tarpinian- LB- Iowa
    - Could be a stud special teamer.

Noel Devine- LB- WVU
    - Tough kid, ultra productive, excellent speed and quicks, tiny frame (5-7 179)

Shane Bannon- FB- Yale
    - BB loves big, tough and smart, kids.

Karl Klug- DE/OLB- Iowa
    - Tweener with a huge motor and good program pedigree.

Julian Vandervelde- OG- Iowa
    - Notice a theme.

Justin Trattou- DE/OLB- Florida
    - BB loves Florida kids.

Alex Wujciak- ILB- Maryland
    - A big thumper in the middle for their 34.

Darrin Walls- CB- Notre Dame
    - Good combo of size, speed and COD.

Preston Dial- TE/FB- Alabama
    - Tough kid, could provide value as FB or H-back.

Lee Smith- TE- Marshall- Very good size, solid in-line blocker.

Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon
    - Very good short area quicks, high character, productive against top competition.

Kealoha Pilares- WR- Hawaii
    - Tough slot player with good speed and quicks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The one I just did from my new 7 round mock:

17: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue
    28: Cameron Heyward, DL, Ohio St
    33: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    60: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
    74: Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
    92: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    125: Greg Romeus, OLB, Pittsburgh
    159: Brandon Fusco, C/G, Slippery Rock
    193: Stanley Havili, FB, USC

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

My latest list of players by role I could envision them playing here in NE.

The list has not changed drastically since the early ones I posted.

The legend for the character marker meanings is at the bottom of the list.

The round designations following the players name is more where I personally think that players value might be at this point in time and not where they will get drafted.

I think the Patriots will have 3 maybe 4 players on their list that if they fall to 10 or later will be willing try to go up and get. No I personally do not think Robert Quinn would be one of them.

DE

1. * Cameron Jordan (1)
    2. JJ Watt (1)
    3. Cameron Heyward + (2)
    4. Phil Taylor ^ (2)
    5. Muhammad Wilkerson (1-2)
    6. * Jarvis Jenkins (3)
    7. Lawrence Guy ^ (4)
    8. Kenrick Ellis ^ (3-4)
    9. Ricky Lumpkin (7-UDFA)
    10. Corbin Bryant (7-UDFA)

OT

1. * Anthony Castonzo $ (1)
    2. * Gabe Carimi + (1)
    3. Derrick Sherrod (1-2)
    4. * Orlando Franklin ^ (2-3)
    5. Marcus Gilbert (3-4)
    6. James Brewer (3-4)
    7. Jah Reid (5-6)
    8. Will Yeatman (7-UDFA)

POTENTIAL ELEPHANTS

1. Adrian Clayborn (1-2)
    2. * Allen Baily (2-3)
    3. * Cameron Jordan (1)

SUB INSIDE PASS RUSHER

1. Marvin Austin (2)
    2. * Allen Baily (2-3)
    3. * Terrell McClain (4-5)

OG

1. * Ben Ijalana (2)
    2. * Danny Watkins $ (1-2)
    3. * James Carpenter (3)
    4. Clint Boling (2-3)
    5. John Moffit (4)
    6. Will Rackley (4)
    7. Andrew Jackson (5-6)

WR

1. Torrey Smith (2)
    2. * Randall Cobb (2-3)
    3. Greg Little ^ (2-3)
    4. * Greg Salas (3-4)
    5. * Austin Pettis (3-4)
    6. Tandon Doss + (3)
    7. Dane Sanzenbacher (5-6)
    8. * Jeremy Kerley (5)
    9. * Cecil Shorts (5-6)
    10. * Lester Jean (6-7)
    11. Jeff Maehl (6)
    12. Chris Matthews (6-7)
    13. Fred Rouse (UDFA)

OG/C

1. * Mike Pouncey $ (1-2)
    2. Rodney Hudson (2-3)
    3. Stefen Wisniewski (2-3)
    4. Tim Barnes (4)
    5. * Brandon Fusco (5)

RB

1. Ryan Williams ^ (2)
    2. * Kendall Hunter + (2-3)
    3. * Daniel Thomas (3)
    4. Jordan Todman (3)
    5. Shane Vereen (3)
    6. * Roy Helu (4) 
    7. Taiwan Jones (3-4)
    8. Johnny White (5)
    9. * Alex Green (5-6)
    10. DaRel Scott (5-6)

TE

1. Virgil Green (4-5)
    2. Rob Housler (4)
    3. Julius Thomas (5)
    4. Andre Smith (5-6)
    5. Chris Blohm (UDFA)

OLB

1. * Justin Houston ^ (2)
    2. Akeem Ayers (2)
    3. Jabaal Sheard ^ (2)
    4. Brooks Reed (2-3)
    5. Sam Acho (3)
    6. * Greg Romeus + (4)
    7. Ugo Chinasa (4-5)
    8. Jeremy Beal (4-5)
    9. Ricky Elmore (4-5)
    10. Thomas Keiser (6-7)
    11. D'Andre Reed (7-UDFA)

ILB

1. Colin McCarthy + (4)
    2. Mason Foster (4)
    3. * Mark Herzlich + (4-5)
    4. Mike Mohamed (6)
    5. JT Thomas (6-7)
    6. Jeff Tarpinian (7-UDFA)
    7. Marc Schiechl (7-UDFA)
    8. Michael Lockley (7-UDFA)

SUB OUTSIDE PASS RUSHER

1. Martez Wilson (2-3)
    2. * Chris Carter (3)
    3. * Dontay Moch (3-4)
    4. * Adrian Moten (5-6)
    5. JT Thomas (6-7)

CB

1. Brandon Harris (2)
    2. * Johnny Patrick (2-3)
    3. Curtis Brown (2-3)
    4. Brandon Hogan ^ (4)
    5. * Buster Skrine (5)
    6. Chykie Brown (4)
    7. * Cortez Allen ^ (5)

S

1. Aaron Williams (2) 
    2. * Rahim Moore (2)
    3. Marcus Gilchrist (3)
    4. * Jaiqwuan Jarrett (3)
    5. Quinton Carter (4)
    6. * Joe Lefeged (4-5)
    7. Shilo Keo (6)
    8. * Mark LeGree (6-7)

QB

1. * Greg McElroy (5)
    2. Ricky Stanzi (4)
    3. Mike Coughlin (7-UDFA)

IT'S GONNA COST YOU DRAFT PICKS

1. Marcel Dareus (1)
    2. * AJ Green $ (1)
    3. Prince Amukamara (1)
    4. Julio Jones + (1)

LEGEND

* = personal likes

+ = medical question (injury prone or questionable longevity of repairs)

$ = safe pick (Very high floor)

^ = question (as simple as cockiness, effort, instincts, or more serious like past legal troubles)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]New additions/removals in blue. Top 75:   LB: (15) Ryan Kerrigan- OLB/DE- Purdue Brooks Reed- OLB/DE- Arizona Adrian Clayborn- OLB/DE- Iowa Jabaal Sheard- OLB/DE- PIttT Thomas Keiser- OLB/DE- Stanford Ricky Elmore- OLB/DE- Arizona Greg Romeus- OLB/DE- Pitt Ryan Winterswyk- OLB/DE- Boise State Cliff Matthews- OLB/DE- South Carolina Ugo Chinasa- OLB/DE- Oklahoma State Mark Herzlich- LB- BC Mason Foster- LB- Washington Jeremy Beal- LB- Oklahoma KJ Wright- LB- Miss State Aldon Smith- OLB/DE *NEW*   DL: (12) JJ Watt- DL- Wisconsin Cameron Jordan- DL- Cal Cameron Heyward- DL- Ohio State Jarvis Jenkins- DL- Clemson Muhammad Wilkerson- DL- Temple Sione Fua- DL- Stanford Lawrence Guy- DL- Arizona State Phil Taylor- DL- Baylor Chris Neild- DL- WVU Ian Williams- DL- ND David Carter- DL- UCLA Kenrick Ellis- DL- Hampton DB: (11) Tyler Sash- S- Iowa Robert Sands- S- WVU Prince Amukamara- CB- Nebraska Buster Skrine- CB- Chattanooga Curtis Marsh- CB- Utah State Brandon Harris- CB- Miami   Ras-I Dowling- CB- Virginia Rashard Carmichael- CB- VT Marcus Gilchrist- CB/S- Clemson *NEW* Jeron Johnson- S- Boise State *NEW* Aaron Williams- CB/S- Texas *NEW*   QB: (3) Andy Dalton- QB- TCU Greg McElroy- QB- Alabama Rick Stanzi- QB- Iowa WR: (8) Randall Cobb- WR/RB/QB/KR/PR/CB- Kentucky Torrey Smith- WR- Maryland Jeremy Kerley- WR- TCU Dane Sanzenbacher- WR- Ohio State Greg Salas- WR- Hawaii Edmond Gates- WR- Abilene Christian *NEW* Dwayne Harris- WR- East Carolina *NEW* Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State *NEW* RB: (9) Shane Vereen- RB- Cal Ryan Williams- RB- VT Delone Carter- RB- Syracuse Alex Green- RB- Hawaii Mario Fannin- RB- Auburn Stevan Ridley- RB- LSU  Mark Ingram- RB- Alabama Mikel Leshoure- RB- Illinois Darren Evans- RB- VT FB: (1) Owen Marecic- FB/LB- Stanford OL: (14) Anthony Castonzo- OT- BC Gabe Carimi- OT- Wisconsin James Carpenter- OT/OG- Alabama Mike Pouncey- C/OG- Florida Stefen Wisniewski- C/OG- Penn State Tim Barnes- C- Missouri Danny Watkins- OG/OT- Baylor Stephen Schilling- OG- Michigan Julian Vandervelde- OG- Iowa Clint Boling- OG- Georgia Mike Person- OG/OT- Montana Andrew Jackson- OG- Fresno State John Moffitt- OG- Wisconsin Nate Solder- OT- Colorado *NEW* Rodney Hudson- C/OG- Florida State *NEW* TE: (1) Kyle Rudolph- TE- ND Removed: Eric Hagg- S- Nebraska *REMOVED 3/22* Ricky Henry- OG- Nebraska *REMOVED 4/4* Leonard Hankerson- WR- Miami *REMOVED 4/4* Bilal Powell- RB- Louisville *REMOVED 4/4* Ross Homan- ILB- Ohio State   *REMOVED 4/4* Kendall Hunter- RB- Oklahoma State *REMOVED 4/7* Jordan Todman- RB- Uconn *REMOVED 4/7* Chris Conte- S- Cal *Removed 4/7* Marcus Gilbert- OT- Florida *REMOVED 4/10* Will Rackley- OG- Lehigh *REMOVED 4/10* Henry Hynoski- FB/TE- Pitt *REMOVED 4/10* Sam Acho- OLB/DE- Texas *REMOVED 4/10* Dontay Moch- OLB- Nevada *REMOVED 4/10* Jeff Tarpinian- LB- Iowa *REMOVED 4/10* Quinton Carter- S- Oklahoma *REMOVED 4/10* Scott Lutrus- ILB- UConn *REMOVED 4/10* Cecil Shorts- WR- Mount Union *REMOVED 4/14* Mana Silva- S- Hawaii- *REMOVED 4/23* Shiloh Keo- S- Idaho- *REMOVED 4/23* Johnny Patrick- CB- Louisville- *REMOVED 4/23* Kelvin Sheppard- ILB- LSU- *REMOVED 4/23* Alex Wujciak- ILB- Maryland- *REMOVED 4/23* Derek Sherrod- OT- Miss State- *REMOVED 4/23* Chimdi Chekwa- CB- Ohio State- *REMOVED 4/23* Aldrick Robinson- WR- SMU *REMOVED 4/23* Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon *REMOVED 4/23*

hey mb,
    how goes it?
    it'd be great if with your additions and deletions you had something of why you were deleting or adding them.
    thanks.

the curious

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, I took some heat for not doing more for a pass rush.  For the record I don't think it matters who we take at OLB, I doubt they will have much success their first year.  It usually takes time for conversion players to not only work their way into the line up as a stand up 34, but it usually takes even longer to start having success.  There have only been a handful, like 5 guys, who've been drafted since 2006 to put up 10 sacks their first year as 34 conversion type OLBs.  We need a little luck for Watt and Reed to be there where I took them, that's why I didn't mock them last time.  The only trade I made was 28 to SD for 50/61.  SD wants Heyward.  I assume Light gets an extension for 1-2 years.  I made no trades into future drafts because of the uncertainty of having drafts in the future.  So, we load up now with 10 picks making the team.  To make room, I cut Slater, Butler and Stroud.  We are still over budget by 1 on offense and 1 on defense.  If Wisniewski or someone else can long snap, we could save a spot.  Otherwise 2 players will have to start out on PUP which always happens. I've added a boat load of speed at RB.  I have a man crush on Mario Fanin.  The man is a full back with elite WR speed and comes out of the SEC with low wear.  He has excellent hands and would be great on 3rd down as a blocker/pass catcher and on short yardage.  Hunter is a more physical version of Woodhead but not as fast.  Both backs compliment.  Tyrod Taylor I'm looking to convert to WR or RB.  At 6-1, 217, 4.47 he has great size and as a QB, great knowledge of offenses.  He provides depth at QB.  The cool thing is we can now dress Hoyer as our emergency QB without him counting against the 45.  This way Tyrod can take the field and if Brady gets hurt, Tyrod hands the ball off once and limps off the field and on comes Hoyer - just a little advantage. I took 3 OL types, late 2nd to 3rd round in keeping with BB's normal philosophy.  All three will see action and be ready to start in 2012.  Lastly, Brooks Reed is used situationally as a pass rusher this year and takes over for Ninkovich in 2012. Current 2011 Patriots - Projection OFFENSE 26 Players Slot 30 Welker '11 25 Edelman '12   WR 32 Branch '11 50 Randall Cobb   LOT 33 Matt Light ? 29 LeVoir '11   LG 29 Mankins '11 25 Wendell '10   C 31 Koppen '11 92 John Moffitt   ROG 29 Connolly '11 60 S Wisniewski   ROT 27 Vollmer '12 61 O Franklin   TE 22 Gronkowski '13 21 Hernandez '13 33 Crumpler '11 QB 34 Tom Brady '14 25 Hoyer '11 193 T Taylor RB 26 Green-Ellis '10 159 Mario Fanin   26 Woodhead '12 74 Kendall Hunter   WR 23 B Tate '12 23 Price '13           DEFENSE 26 Players DE   30 T Warren '13 25 Pryor '12   NT 29 Wilfork '14 24 Brace '12 25 Love '12 DE 17 JJ Watt 29 Wright '12 24 Deaderick '13 OLB 23 Cunningham '13 31 Banta-Cain '12 30 Moore '11 ILB 25 Mayo '12 25 Fletcher '12   ILB 24 B Spikes '13 25 Guyton '11   OLB 27 Ninkovich '11 33 Brooks Reed   LCB 24 McCourty '14 27 Wilhite '11   RCB 30 Bodden '13 25 Arrington '10 125 B Skrine SS 24 Chung '12 26 Page '12   FS 27 Meriweather '11 27 Sanders '11     SPECIAL TEAMS 2 PK 27 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS TBD    

happy easter back at ya!

like it for the most part.

want one of watt, jordan, heyward

but reed, dont know that i trust he could be what quinn kerrrigan or smith can and i would prefer one of them.

you dont like taking a shot at romeus?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, I took some heat for not doing more for a pass rush.  For the record I don't think it matters who we take at OLB, I doubt they will have much success their first year.  It usually takes time for conversion players to not only work their way into the line up as a stand up 34, but it usually takes even longer to start having success.  There have only been a handful, like 5 guys, who've been drafted since 2006 to put up 10 sacks their first year as 34 conversion type OLBs.  We need a little luck for Watt and Reed to be there where I took them, that's why I didn't mock them last time.  The only trade I made was 28 to SD for 50/61.  SD wants Heyward.  I assume Light gets an extension for 1-2 years.  I made no trades into future drafts because of the uncertainty of having drafts in the future.  So, we load up now with 10 picks making the team.  To make room, I cut Slater, Butler and Stroud.  We are still over budget by 1 on offense and 1 on defense.  If Wisniewski or someone else can long snap, we could save a spot.  Otherwise 2 players will have to start out on PUP which always happens. I've added a boat load of speed at RB.  I have a man crush on Mario Fanin.  The man is a full back with elite WR speed and comes out of the SEC with low wear.  He has excellent hands and would be great on 3rd down as a blocker/pass catcher and on short yardage.  Hunter is a more physical version of Woodhead but not as fast.  Both backs compliment.  Tyrod Taylor I'm looking to convert to WR or RB.  At 6-1, 217, 4.47 he has great size and as a QB, great knowledge of offenses.  He provides depth at QB.  The cool thing is we can now dress Hoyer as our emergency QB without him counting against the 45.  This way Tyrod can take the field and if Brady gets hurt, Tyrod hands the ball off once and limps off the field and on comes Hoyer - just a little advantage. I took 3 OL types, late 2nd to 3rd round in keeping with BB's normal philosophy.  All three will see action and be ready to start in 2012.  Lastly, Brooks Reed is used situationally as a pass rusher this year and takes over for Ninkovich in 2012. Current 2011 Patriots - Projection OFFENSE 26 Players Slot 30 Welker '11 25 Edelman '12   WR 32 Branch '11 50 Randall Cobb   LOT 33 Matt Light ? 29 LeVoir '11   LG 29 Mankins '11 25 Wendell '10   C 31 Koppen '11 92 John Moffitt   ROG 29 Connolly '11 60 S Wisniewski   ROT 27 Vollmer '12 61 O Franklin   TE 22 Gronkowski '13 21 Hernandez '13 33 Crumpler '11 QB 34 Tom Brady '14 25 Hoyer '11 193 T Taylor RB 26 Green-Ellis '10 159 Mario Fanin   26 Woodhead '12 74 Kendall Hunter   WR 23 B Tate '12 23 Price '13           DEFENSE 26 Players DE   30 T Warren '13 25 Pryor '12   NT 29 Wilfork '14 24 Brace '12 25 Love '12 DE 17 JJ Watt 29 Wright '12 24 Deaderick '13 OLB 23 Cunningham '13 31 Banta-Cain '12 30 Moore '11 ILB 25 Mayo '12 25 Fletcher '12   ILB 24 B Spikes '13 25 Guyton '11   OLB 27 Ninkovich '11 33 Brooks Reed   LCB 24 McCourty '14 27 Wilhite '11   RCB 30 Bodden '13 25 Arrington '10 125 B Skrine SS 24 Chung '12 26 Page '12   FS 27 Meriweather '11 27 Sanders '11     SPECIAL TEAMS 2 PK 27 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS TBD    

hey faucet,

re: "Okay, I took some heat for not doing more for a pass rush. "

sorry for being the one to bring the heat.

"For the record I don't think it matters who we take at OLB, I doubt they will have much success their first year.  It usually takes time for conversion players to not only work their way into the line up as a stand up 34, but it usually takes even longer to start having success."

even more reason to get him(olb stud) this year! (along with having the picks, and high enough to reach up and do something). the sooner the better. brady wont begreat forever!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Army, I feel like with Bodden and Warren coming back and the young players having another year under their belt that the D will already be improved.  If we have a chance to draft Watt or Jordan at 17, I think I would as either I believe could step in and start over Deaderick/Wright.  Both guys have elite speed and physical skill set and character to make an immediate impact. But when it comes to a pass rusher from the second level I don't think any of the ones in range will start right away.  With a shortened preseason there just isn't time for a Kerrigan, Smith or Reed to digest the playbook and learn the responsibilities for dropping back, covering the TE or RB, setting the edge on running plays from a stand up, off the line position with different guys coming at them to block them from what they are used to as a hand-in-the-dirt 43 DE.  They won't just have an OT or occasional TE to deal with, they will have pulling guards and RBs coming at them from different angles.  Can these DE conversion types rush and learn to do the other things needed to beat out an improving Ninkovich or Cunningham?  In time yes, but not right away, certainly not in the first half of the season. Off to the Sox/Angels game, looking for the 4 game sweep, Go SOX!! Could be my last post until just hours before the draft.  Not ignoring anyone, going to Vegas for a trade show and getting back just before the Panthers go on the clock and make complete fools of themselves by drafting the next DeMarcus Russell/Vince Young.  I predicted it after the BCS Champ game, Newton will go #1 overall.

"But when it comes to a pass rusher from the second level I don't think any of the ones in range will start right away.  With a shortened preseason there just isn't time for a Kerrigan, Smith or Reed to digest the playbook and learn the responsibilities for dropping back, covering the TE or RB, setting the edge on running plays from a stand up, off the line position with different guys coming at them to block them from what they are used to as a hand-in-the-dirt 43 DE.  They won't just have an OT or occasional TE to deal with, they will have pulling guards and RBs coming at them from different angles.  Can these DE conversion types rush and learn to do the other things needed to beat out an improving Ninkovich or Cunningham?  In time yes, but not right away, certainly not in the first half of the season."

exactly why we need to get them now. they can help come playoffs and the next 3 years. when do you think we'll next be in position to land an aldon smith and a kerrigan? the time is now!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

"Off to the Sox/Angels game, looking for the 4 game sweep, Go SOX!!

Could be my last post until just hours before the draft.  Not ignoring anyone, going to Vegas for a trade show and getting back just before the Panthers go on the clock and make complete fools of themselves by drafting the next DeMarcus Russell/Vince Young.  I predicted it after the BCS Champ game, Newton will go #1 overall."

have a good show!

who would have thought our pitching is coming around, omg.

yeah! lets hope theres a first round rush and 5 qb's taken in the first!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

[QUOTE]Below is my final mock until draft day, as well as a list of potential URFA’s/7th round options: The Mock:   1A- Ryan Kerrigan or Anthony Castonzo 1B- Danny Watkins or Muhammad Wilkerson 2A- Randall Cobb or Kyle Rudolph 2B- Brooks Reed or James Carpenter 3A- Jarvis Jenkins or Clint Boling 3B- Shane Vereen or Mason Foster 4th- Buster Skrine or Rock Carmicheal 5th- Mark Herzlich or Greg McElroy 6 th - Tim Barnes or Darren Evans       URFA’s / 7th Rounders: Mike Person- OT/OG - Montana State - The next late round/URFA OL for Scar to develop. Mana Silva- S- Hawaii - Good size/speedcombo, 14 INT’s, 169 in career. Ricky Lumpkin- DL- Kentucky - Good size for the 5 (6-4 313). Jeff Tarpinian- LB- Iowa - Could be a stud special teamer. Noel Devine- LB- WVU - Tough kid, ultra productive, excellent speed and quicks, tiny frame (5-7 179) Shane Bannon- FB- Yale - BB loves big, tough and smart, kids. Karl Klug- DE/OLB- Iowa - Tweener with a huge motor and good program pedigree. Julian Vandervelde- OG- Iowa - Notice a theme. Justin Trattou- DE/OLB- Florida - BB loves Florida kids. Alex Wujciak- ILB- Maryland - A big thumper in the middle for their 34. Darrin Walls- CB- Notre Dame - Good combo of size, speed and COD. Preston Dial- TE/FB- Alabama - Tough kid, could provide value as FB or H-back. Lee Smith- TE- Marshall - Very good size, solid in-line blocker. Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon - Very good short area quicks, high character, productive against top competition. Kealoha Pilares- WR- Hawaii - Tough slot player with good speed and quicks.

This is a great thread you have going here mbeaulieu07, I've been following it's progress for a while. It's cool seeing how interested all of Patriot's nation is in our team and the annual NFL draft, like myself. I guess I'm not the only draft nerd afterall. I like your draft scenario of 1A www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/05/ryan-kerrigan-scouting-report.html">Ryan Kerrigan and 1B www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/muhammad-wilkerson-scouting-report.html">Muhammad Wilkerson, If this happens I will definitely be celebrating Thursday night! But as I go over countless mock drafts I don't see www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/muhammad-wilkerson-scouting-report.html">Muhammad Wilkerson slipping to us that late in the 1st round. I actually think he might go before pick 17 as well. I do see www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/05/ryan-kerrigan-scouting-report.html">Ryan Kerrigan being there and I think he's a can't miss player at 17, I think his size is fine for OLB and he has great speed off of the edge. Some draft experts are saying BB will take www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/prince-amukamara-scouting-report.html">Prince Amukamarahere at 17, this would not shock me as BB will take the best talent at 17 he feels is there. I think it depends on who falls to 17, there are certain stud DL that could be there that are NFL ready and the Pat's are in need of a passrushing DE that can play either the 4-3 or 3-4 as BB is known to switch it up at times even though I think the 3-4 is our base D. I think BB will try to get one of the following DL's if they drop to our pick: 1.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/marcel-dareus-scouting-report.html">Marcell Dareus 2.k Fairley 3.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/daquan-bowers-scouting-report.html">Da’Quan Bowers 4.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/04/robert-quinn-scouting-report.html">Robert Quinn 5.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/05/jj-watt-scouting-report.html">JJ Watt 6.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/muhammad-wilkerson-scouting-report.html">Muhammad Wilkerson I think only Watt could be available here and I think BB will take Watt if he's there, if none of them are there he will take Prince Amukamara, If Prince is gone I think he'll take Ryan Kerrigan--I would be happy with any of these pick's as I feel merriweather has a short shelf life as a Patriot and will need to be replaced at some point. If we do end up with Kerrigan at the 1st pick, I feel like your right about pick 1B being an OL, there's some nice value at pick 28 with either 1.Anthony Castonzo 2.Gabe Carimi and even 3.Pouncey 4. Nat solder  and 5.Tyron Smith any one of these fine prospects would be nice. So my ideal 1A Kerrigan and 1B Castonzo would be a sweet day 1 of the draft which potentially might happen. There are several other players that could drop to pick 17 which I could see BB taking that I didn't mention:1.Aldon Smith2.Adrian Clayborn at pick 28 there should still be some good DL prospects available 1.Cam Heyward 2.Cameron Jordan and even 3.www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/07/phil-taylor-scouting-report.html">Phil Taylor whose a beast nose guard from Baylor. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a corner like www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/06/brandon-harris-scouting-report.html">Brandon Harris from Miami or the very talented www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/10/jimmy-smith-scouting-report.html">Jimmy Smith from Colorado get snatched up here if there available and I would be happy to have one of them--you can never have enough secondary help. Again, great thread--your insight is appreciated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED 2/19 w/ PRE-COMBINE MOCK*** : hey mb, how goes it? it'd be great if with your additions and deletions you had something of why you were deleting or adding them. thanks. the curious
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Things are good man, almost draft day!

Sure, below is my thinking around the most recent changes.

For players that were added:

Smith has the obvious upside and couple provide an immediate jolt to the pass rush.

Gilchrist and Williams represent a lot of positional versatility while Johnson looks like a physical mid-late round kid that could bring leadership and toughness.

Gates is a bigger than Robinson and also offers the deep speed, Harris is a good sized, high character kid with some good versatlity and RAC ability and Pettis is a big kid with great hands that could provide immediate value as a possession receiver and in the red-zone.

Solder is the big, long and athletic kid that Scar could turn into an All-Pro player while Hudson is a kid that I'm really on the fence with.  He looks like a smart, high character kid with good technique and versatilty, but I've seen it reported that his playing weight was around 275, at the direction of Rick Trickett (info courtesy of Pro Football Weekly), so there are questions about his ability to maintain and play with the 299 weight and be strong enough at the POA at the NFL level.

Aldon Smith- OLB/DE *NEW*
    Marcus Gilchrist- CB/S- Clemson *NEW*
    Jeron Johnson- S- Boise State *NEW*
    Aaron Williams- CB/S- Texas *NEW* 
    Edmond Gates- WR- Abilene Christian *NEW*
    Dwayne Harris- WR- East Carolina *NEW*
    Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State *NEW*

Nate Solder- OT- Colorado *NEW*
    Rodney Hudson- C/OG- Florida State *NEW*

For the players that were removed:

Silva and Keo are kids that interest me, I just think there are better options on the board. 

Patrick projects as a solid zone CB, but there are character questions and the 4.59 isn't ideal.

Sheppard doesn't appear to be as physical as his size (6-2 250) would indicate and Wujciak is probably a URFA and projects as a 2 down player at the NFL level.

I just prefer Castonzo, Carimi or Solder in the first couple rounds, but Sherrod is a kid that could be added back to the mix.  The draft is top heavy in OT, IMO.

Chekwa is an experienced kid that probably projects better as a man CB.

Robinson is a kid that I like from a speed perspective, but has also had his character questioned.

Maehl is another kid that I like a lot, but though there were kids with a higher upside that should be on the list.  I like him as a Rd 7 - URFA type.

Mana Silva- S- Hawaii- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Shiloh Keo- S- Idaho- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Johnny Patrick- CB- Louisville- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Kelvin Sheppard- ILB- LSU- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Alex Wujciak- ILB- Maryland- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Derek Sherrod- OT- Miss State- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Chimdi Chekwa- CB- Ohio State- *REMOVED 4/23*
    Aldrick Robinson- WR- SMU *REMOVED 4/23*
    Jeff Maehl- WR- Oregon *REMOVED 4/23*

25. This post has been removed.