2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : I see your point.  I also think Brady will play for another 6 years.  He's said he wants to play until he's 40.  The problem is how effective is Brady going to in say 4 or 5 years from now.  I'd definitely listen to offers.  Teams would be willing to mortgage the farm for this guy however he is way too good to pass up.  It would be the same situation as Montana and Young.
    Posted by PatsNut5480

I agree Brady might be 80% of what he's now BUT, an 80% Brady is better than most QBs at 100% but yes Luck one in a decade type player.  Well maybe two, some say Sam Bradford is also that type of player.

Be nice though to hear what a team would be willing to give up to move up for Luck.  I posted why I thought Panthers would pass a QB this year to take Luck next year.  I mean Panthers will not win more than 2 games, they are almost a lock for Luck. 

carolina's schedule, how many wins u all see there?  I see maybe one vs Ten, maybe!  But it is the NFL but as Sapp put it, Carolina have a ton of starters they have drafted, problem is they wouldn't be starters anywhere else so don't see the every given sunday with Panthers yet.

At Cards
    vs GB
    vs Jax
    at Bears
    vs NO
    at Atl
    vs Skins
    vs Min
    bye
    vs Ten
    at Lions (not the same 0-16 lions)
    at Colts
    at Bucs
    vs Atl
    at Texans
    vs Bucs
    at NO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Seen a couple of posts here and other threads saying J.J. Watt is not a fit for NE and I don't know what I'm missing? 6'5" 290, non stop motor, clean off field.  On field production matches workout numbers 4.81 40, 34 reps, 37" vertical (best among DEs), Broad Jump 10'00" only two inches short of Kerrigan's, 4.21 shuttle and 6.88 3-cone drill both shuttle and 3-cone better than Kerrigan.  The guy loves football and will not be outworked by anyone. What am I missing?  Not only will he hold up against double teams because of his power and preparation he's got a burst to provide pass rush.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Pats I can not speak for others but i have wondered the question of fit.

First because it has been stated by pundits that he is "The" perfect fit for NE.

I have never said he is not but I have mentioned why I wonder about it. If you missed it I will reiterate.

The size and other measurables aside, cause he meets all of those things for the Pats, is his experience and playing style within that limited experience.

He was a TE only 2 years ago so he has a total of 2 years playing Defense period. BB has traditionally looked at seniors with 4 years of experience. So that one would not be a check mark in the column.

BB has also often looked at players who have extensive playing time playing DT in college to play 3-4 DE and not college 43 DE's. While Watt has occasionally played at DT for a play or two here and there to get the match up advantage in a particular stunt or scheme he has not played DT exhaustively. So he would not gain the check mark there in that column.

Much of the time the 34 DE in BB's system is anchoring and trying to use that length/wingspan to occupy multiple blockers. (Wilfork is not the only one who does that) That allows ALL LB's better freedom to operate not just the ILB's but better enable the OLB's as well. Watt has not played that style as his responsibility at Wisconsin over the past two seasons. That's not to say he can't do it, although the limited times I was able to see him attempt such a style on a given play he did not hold up very well. Keep in mind my sample size is very limited. All of that being said, even if you believe he can play the style necessary at a superior level you are left with it being just as much a projection as standing up a DE to play OLB in my opinion since you have not had the luxury to watch him on film perform that task you will want him to do exclusively here with the Pats. So once again he would not gain a check mark in that column.

In contrast yes Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Brace all played a significant amount of time at DT in college. Seymour and Warren having played significant time at BOTH DE and DT.

While I am certainly not saying Watt could not do it and be super awesome. I am only saying I am less comfortable with the idea of projecting him doing it over a player I could evaluate on film performing the role I would be looking for him to do with regularity and success. At least high in the 1st round.

Finally, however, I feel I might be in the same boat as you. Meaning, all I hear is so called experts saying Watt the "the" perfect 5-tech run stuffer yet I never see that on any film I watch so I am always asking what am I missing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Just a quick post from my point of view to really thank all you guys who are knowledgeable with regards to college football and the draft (MB and Co). I really enjoyed following this thread for some time now and it really helps to keep me in touch from afar.

I will be pulling another late nighter to watch the draft starting at 1a.m. (Irish Time), so it will be similar to a Sunday or Monday night football game for me.

Thanks to all you guys on this thread, I am more aware of the prospects and strategies involved had this thread not existed. Kudos to u all.

P.S. (MB, long may your dedication persist in this regard.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Just saw BB on NFL Network, said not word for word, teams that draft the better front 7 players in the this draft will look back at it and consider it a successful draft.

Also draft for value not for need, meaning if a player is ranked 20th on their board say aldon smith and at 17 he's not the value they want and no other available player has that value regardless of need they will pass.

So I can see no OLB in the 1st round, maybe if the trade into mid 40s.  I honestly think they will not pick anyone at 17.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Pats I can not speak for others but i have wondered the question of fit. First because it has been stated by pundits that he is "The" perfect fit for NE. I have never said he is not but I have mentioned why I wonder about it. If you missed it I will reiterate. The size and other measurables aside, cause he meets all of those things for the Pats, is his experience and playing style within that limited experience. He was a TE only 2 years ago so he has a total of 2 years playing Defense period. BB has traditionally looked at seniors with 4 years of experience. So that one would not be a check mark in the column. BB has also often looked at players who have extensive playing time playing DT in college to play 3-4 DE and not college 43 DE's. While Watt has occasionally played at DT for a play or two here and there to get the match up advantage in a particular stunt or scheme he has not played DT exhaustively. So he would not gain the check mark there in that column. Much of the time the 34 DE in BB's system is anchoring and trying to use that length/wingspan to occupy multiple blockers. (Wilfork is not the only one who does that) That allows ALL LB's better freedom to operate not just the ILB's but better enable the OLB's as well. Watt has not played that style as his responsibility at Wisconsin over the past two seasons. That's not to say he can't do it, although the limited times I was able to see him attempt such a style on a given play he did not hold up very well. Keep in mind my sample size is very limited. All of that being said, even if you believe he can play the style necessary at a superior level you are left with it being just as much a projection as standing up a DE to play OLB in my opinion since you have not had the luxury to watch him on film perform that task you will want him to do exclusively here with the Pats. So once again he would not gain a check mark in that column. In contrast yes Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Brace all played a significant amount of time at DT in college. Seymour and Warren having played significant time at BOTH DE and DT. While I am certainly not saying Watt could not do it and be super awesome. I am only saying I am less comfortable with the idea of projecting him doing it over a player I could evaluate on film performing the role I would be looking for him to do with regularity and success. At least high in the 1st round. Finally, however, I feel I might be in the same boat as you. Meaning, all I hear is so called experts saying Watt the "the" perfect 5-tech run stuffer yet I never see that on any film I watch so I am always asking what am I missing.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

My thought on Watt at DE instead of 43 DT, he's got the size for DT but has the speed to be a DE.  If he didn't have that speed maybe a coach moves him inside, just a thought.  He had the athletic ability to play 43 DE at 290 lbs. 

No questions some plays you see him and wonder what happened to him.  His leverage is all off and gets moved back but for the most part I liked what foundation he has and tools.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : Is this because you think he's a dick, of an agent? ;)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

LOL..thanks for continuing the humor! Yes, I do. Castonzo has the same agent as well. I don't know if you can take Watt and Castonzo off just because of it, but it must be considered anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know how you guys feel about Jabaal Shead out of Pitt but I'm starting to warm on this guy.  I think it's Mike Reiss who is really high on him.  I've read up on him and even though he had a incident with an arrest last summer he seems like a good guy.  He plays with a high motor and stepped up with the injury to Romeus.  I watched some of the Miami game and he played well.  Two sacks I believe.  Could be had in the second round.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]

I think a few of us on here really like Sheard. I don't doubt his play and think he could be good for us. The only issue is a character concern or two on him, but that might be not that important. It's not like he was constantly hammered because of this. Just could be 1 incident and if this is the case, I like him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I lilke Sheard over Reed as well Pats7393. If we don't grab Kerrigan or Smith in round 1, which it's looking like we might not based on your recent post, I look to Sheard in round 2 ahead of Reed and Acho. He's my 3rd option at OLB.

My list goes like this for OLB in rounds 1 & 2 (not counting Miller or Quinn of course)...just my opionion of course
    1. Kerrigan
    2. Smith
    3. Sheard
    4. Acho
    5. Reed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

+1 on the Sheard bandwagon, like him more than Reed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Just saw BB on NFL Network, said not word for word, teams that draft the better front 7 players in the this draft will look back at it and consider it a successful draft. Also draft for value not for need, meaning if a player is ranked 20th on their board say aldon smith and at 17 he's not the value they want and no other available player has that value regardless of need they will pass. So I can see no OLB in the 1st round, maybe if the trade into mid 40s.  I honestly think they will not pick anyone at 17.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

You can see that video here as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AD2n-iIT88

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : You can see that video here as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AD2n-iIT88

Thanks Low, watched it again and I thought what if he wants teams to think DT so the OTs remain on the board?

Damn Bill! give us something!  Guess he will sometime tomorrow night. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Lets see, guess I can post my final guestimock draft:
    Kerrigan -17 OLB
    Trade 28 for 2nd and 2012 1st taking Sherrod RT
    trade back with 33 get mid 40s and 2nd next year take Sheard OLB(yes 2 of them this year, creates a pass rush and depth at OLB)
    60 Wisniewski C/OG
    74 Ras I Dowling CB
    3rd rd -Moffit OG
    4th Vereen RB

Now lets see, what I think BB will actually do:
    17 Liuget DE (why, no one really sees him in NE, so BB throws us all off and I do think he can play 3-4 DE)
    28 J SMith CB
    33 traded for a 4th this year and 1st next
    60M Leshour RB
    74 Carter OLB
    3rd J Brewer OT
    4thC Ballard
    4th R Stanzi QB
    5th G Romeus OLB
    6th Herzlick LB
    This way he can stash some talent on IR for a year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

1 thing I've been thinking about is that we could set ourselves up for a big payday trading #33 by actually trading #28. Let me explain

If Tenn doesn't take a QB at #8 then the rumors of them looking to move up to #28 could be true. The 2 QB's I see them targetting are Ponder or Dalton. So lets say Tenn trades #39 and a 2012 1st to take Ponder or Dalton.

We know that Cinn won't take a QB at #4 and are most likely targeting a QB in round 2. The 2 names most associated with them are Dalton and Ponder. If Tenn takes 1 of them with pick #28 then it will force Cinn into a bad position over the night. Would the Pats trade with another team with #33 who would trade up to get a QB (Minn or Was). If that's there thought then they are forced to trade up with the Pats to make sure someone else doesn't. What it might cost them to get a QB isn't their 2nd this year but how about their 3rd this year and their 1st next year. They get to keep #35 and get #33.

In the end the Pats end up with 3 1st's next year with the chance of 2 of them being top 15 picks.

Now wouldn't that be something

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Morde, thats a great draft....Carter and Ballard and Romeus at those spots presents the good value BB is looking for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]1 thing I've been thinking about is that we could set ourselves up for a big payday trading #33 by actually trading #28. Let me explain If Tenn doesn't take a QB at #8 then the rumors of them looking to move up to #28 could be true. The 2 QB's I see them targetting are Ponder or Dalton. So lets say Tenn trades #39 and a 2012 1st to take Ponder or Dalton. We know that Cinn won't take a QB at #4 and are most likely targeting a QB in round 2. The 2 names most associated with them are Dalton and Ponder. If Tenn takes 1 of them with pick #28 then it will force Cinn into a bad position over the night. Would the Pats trade with another team with #33 who would trade up to get a QB (Minn or Was). If that's there thought then they are forced to trade up with the Pats to make sure someone else doesn't. What it might cost them to get a QB isn't their 2nd this year but how about their 3rd this year and their 1st next year. They get to keep #35 and get #33. In the end the Pats end up with 3 1st's next year with the chance of 2 of them being top 15 picks. Now wouldn't that be something
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

The only fly in that oinment is that earlier today Mayock floated rumors that teams would be more willing to try and trade with a team after NE at 28 if another team has already traded with them at 28 then wait and deal with NE at 33.

The specific idea was trading with Greenbay instead at 32 who has a young team and may not see a big loss drop off in talent moving back a dozen picks or so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED TOP 75*** : The only fly in that oinment is that earlier today Mayock floated rumors that teams would be more willing to try and trade with a team after NE at 28 if another team has already traded with them at 28 then wait and deal with NE at 33. The specific idea was trading with Greenbay instead at 32 who has a young team and may not see a big loss drop off in talent moving back a dozen picks or so.

Yeah, I heard that as well. Makes sense. I think teams think wiwth 33 it will be a bidding war and BB in that position is going to take a kings ransom if he can.

I posted some comments from Mayock earlier today. I thought what he said about possibly 8 QB's going by end of round 2 was pretty amazing.

28 and 33 could both be up for sale to QB hungry teams. Tennessee at 28, Washington and take your pick at 33, or vice versa....I say shop em' both as long as we get 2nds this year plus 1sts/2nds next.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Happy Draft Day to all

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

[QUOTE]Here is one scenario that could play out if the Panthers are using smoke and mirrors on Newton: This is an interesting scenario for the Pats.  Definitely a possibility that one of the top front 7 guys make it to them. http://thebostonsportslist.com/2011/04/27/2011-nfl-mock-draft/
    Posted by broph18[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope the Mallett pick at 33 is wrong. I would not touch him in 100 years. Infact I am not really very high on Ayers at 28.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Just checked out a site that PatsLifer suggested.  A guy had Pitt. taking Kerrigan at 30 or 31 if they didn't move up for Pouncey.  Kerrigan at 31???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Hey Guys i´m in Mexico and the NFL.com/draft link does not work....  does anyone have another link to watch nfl channel live????

thanks !!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Here is my FINAL MOCK DRAFT

17.- TRADE DOWN TO 21 OR 22 AND THEN DRAFT MO WILKERSON (GET A 2ND IN RETURN)

28.- TRADE DOWN TO START OF THE 2ND ROUND AND THEN DRAFT  Jabaal (GET A 3RD IN RETURN) Sheard

SECOND THEY GET IN FIRST TRADE.... TRADE INTO NEXT YEAR

33.- TRADE DOWN AND THEN SELECT   Mikel Leshoure,

60.- Danny Watkins,

74.-  Justin Houston

3RD THEY GET IN RETURN.... TRADE INTO NEXT YEAR

3rd.-  TRADE INTO NEXT YEAR

4th.- Bilal Powell, RB

5th.- Herzlick LB  

6th.- tRADE Into next year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

This will be my last entry to this blog leviathan before the draft tonight ~

Just wanted to throw my mock on here for posterity

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE PHENOMINAL DRAFT INSIGHT 

Should be a great ride tonight ~
     Enjoy the fireworks all

1. Carolina (2-14) Newton
    2. Denver (4-12) Dareus
    3. Buffalo (4-12) Peterson
    4. Cincinnati (4-12) AJ Green
    5. Arizona (5-11) Von Miller
    6. Cleveland (5-11) Julio Jones
    7. San Francisco (6-10) Gabbert
    8. Tennessee (6-10) Fairley
    9. Dallas (6-10) Ty Smith
    10. Washington (6-10) Locker
    11. Houston (6-10) Quinn
    12. Minnesota (6-10) Pouncy
    13. Detroit (6-10) Amukamara
    14. St. Louis (7-9) Corey Luigett
    15. Miami (7-9) TRADE Back with Baltimore > Jimmy Smith

16. Jacksonville (8-7) Aldon Smith

17 New England ( 14-2 ) TRADE Back with KC > Castonzo
    18. San Diego (9-7) Kerrigan
    19. New York Giants (10-6) Solder
    20. Tampa Bay (10-6) Bowers
    21. Kansas City (10-6) TRADE Up with NE > Cam Jordan
    22. Indianapolis (10-6) Sherrod
    23. Philadelphia (10-6) Carimi
    24. New Orleans (11-5) JJ Watt
    25. Seattle ( 7-9 ) Wilkerson
    26. Baltimore (12-4) TRADE Up with Miami > INGRAM
    27. Atlanta (13-3) Kyle Rudolph
    28. New England (14-2) TRADE Back with TEN > PONDER
    29. Chicago (11-5) Danny Watkins
    30. New York Jets  Phil Taylor
    31. Pittsburgh (12-4) Aaron Williams
    32. Green Bay (10-6) Cam Heywood

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]1 thing I've been thinking about is that we could set ourselves up for a big payday trading #33 by actually trading #28. Let me explain If Tenn doesn't take a QB at #8 then the rumors of them looking to move up to #28 could be true. The 2 QB's I see them targetting are Ponder or Dalton. So lets say Tenn trades #39 and a 2012 1st to take Ponder or Dalton. We know that Cinn won't take a QB at #4 and are most likely targeting a QB in round 2. The 2 names most associated with them are Dalton and Ponder. If Tenn takes 1 of them with pick #28 then it will force Cinn into a bad position over the night. Would the Pats trade with another team with #33 who would trade up to get a QB (Minn or Was). If that's there thought then they are forced to trade up with the Pats to make sure someone else doesn't. What it might cost them to get a QB isn't their 2nd this year but how about their 3rd this year and their 1st next year. They get to keep #35 and get #33. In the end the Pats end up with 3 1st's next year with the chance of 2 of them being top 15 picks. Now wouldn't that be something
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

"n the end the Pats end up with 3 1st's next year with the chance of 2 of them being top 15 picks"

which they would trade anyway right (the prospect of trading yearly for good picks then when draft comes only to trade into the second round, does not excite me. only if we were willing to "risk" making picks once in a while for top tier players would i get a little excited.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

ok here is my final wishlist after several trades up and down;

1. Patrick Peterson
    1/2. Cam Heyward
    2. Mark Ingram
    2. Jabaal Sheard
    3. Ben Ijalana
    5. Mark Herzlich
    6. Greg McElroy
    7. any OT project
    8. a 1st, or minimum of 2nd round pick next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Just started a thread for us to continue everything we have going here, but in an ongoing thread about everything patriots. here is what i posted:

headline: Respectful, Thoughtful Everything Patriot Thread (Was MB's Mock Draft Marathon)

Assuming Mb's mock draft thread ends or becomes dormant since it is about mocking the draft, This thread is meant to take everything we did there and continue it. we ill use it in similar manner, but with the broader topic being the patriots, so that we can continue the tradition built in that thread of knowing where to go to daily to communicate with each other respectfully with thoughts about the patriots in an ongoing fashion (minus the personal attacks and poor behavior, etc.)

(because the quality of posts, the camaraderie and the community created on this thread, it seems only right not to let that die, but to keep it going in an ongoing thread).

"to have a continued atmosphere of patriot football thoughts, ideas and feelings in a respectful enjoyable light."

if you cant share and read different opinions without building yourself up by putting another down (disagree strongly if you wish, just dont make it personal), take it elsewhere to other venues where that is acceptable. here we require people to be able to respect themselves and respect others.

we all have something to offer. diversity of opinions is what makes this enjoyable and growthful.

So,
     frequent regulars mb, low, faucet, eng, lifer, mord, kyle, critter, captn, pats73, trustbill, quag, title, teegee, pumpsie, bobbysu, army2, nate, bozo, seattle, mountain, gadisrko, bama, fisher, 4sport, mckehct, rochfan, kebbe, maxnsl, couldnt think, paul, sportslover and all the rest (regulars or new),
    have at it! lets continue our community conversation about everything patriot.

thanks mb and everyone for making this community what it is.

peace