2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    [QUOTE]I understand the arm strength and all with Mallett.  But, am I the only one that just looks at this guys face and thinks "punk"? I dunno, he looks like a dunce. 
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]

dunce no, punk yes. not just his face, the energy that he transmits from his face.
    ie some people exude resiliency. brady he aint. maybe he'll get enough hazing to transform and combined with someone believing in him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Trying to digest this draft.  I can see the logic in things until Ridley.  That pick makes absolutely no sense.  I can understand Mallett from a value stand point and considering we didn't have a #3 QB.  I can even see Vereen to a degree in that he is a complete back, faster than BJGE with better hands but I can't see him getting more carries than BJGE.  He is really a cross between Woody and BJGE so okay, he gives us depth so I can understand it. 

But Ridley makes no sense especially in the 3rd round, after the 5th maybe.  John Moffitt was taken 2 spots later.  Swap Moffitt for Ridley and I'd feel a lot better about this draft.  Right now I'd give it a C- even with the extra picks next year.  With all the ammo we had, we mis-fired IMO.  We still have 4 more picks tomorrow and there is still talent on the board so hopefully we land a couple of gems tomorrow. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]This is one boneheaded draft for the Pats.  I guess we are stuck with another bad defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down and who makes every QB look like a Hall of Famer.  At what point will BB decide his defense stinks and add some high grade talent to address it? Yeah, we started the process last year with Spikes, Cunningham, McCourty. We needed to continue the process this year but it doesn't look like we will be adding any significant to help.  Ras-I Dowling seems like he may as well sign up for the PUP list to beat the crowd (of NE DBs to get injured).  WE NEED A PASS RUSH.  Why can't BB see this?  He has had 7 years to address this need and he still hasn't done it.  It cost a SB trip against the Bears, it cost us the SB vs. the Giants. The team has been good enought to compete but without the pass rush it just does not have enough to finish. 
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

thank you! i'm no the only one saying this!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : hey mb, i agreed with you on this: " Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid."    was a need just after higher needs should have been met. was a guy i looked at and liked. wanted tthem to check out injury frequency history. power back, didnt you like thomas?
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

brd,
    This is where we come back to BPA vs. drafting for need, IMO.  BB clearly felt that the value wasn't there for any of the 34 edge talent on the board at 33.

Wasn't completely against Daniel Thomas, but wasn't a fan of taking him in Rd 2, where he was being projected.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I got it figured out. Here's the logic Mallett is going to take opposing players out for the night before the game and get them all drunk and drugged up. Then when they actually play they will be confused to all hell when NE rushes Wilfork and has Bodden, Ras, McCourty, Meri, Chung, Sanders, Butler, Arrington, Mayo, and Guyton on the field. They will be so confused and high that they will run backwards and commit a ton of safeties.  Yeah Vereen improves the running game but by how much compared to any number of FA's out there. Ras not sure how he improves the team. Solder will be the same as Light starting out which isn't a bad thing but doesn't improve the team from last year. It seems this team is staying the same while losing Neal and potentially Mankins too? Forget the 09 draft this might turn out to be the 08 draft
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

"I got it figured out. Here's the logic Mallett is going to take opposing players out for the night before the game and get them all drunk and drugged up. Then when they actually play they will be confused to all hell when NE rushes Wilfork and has Bodden, Ras, McCourty, Meri, Chung, Sanders, Butler, Arrington, Mayo, and Guyton on the field. They will be so confused and high that they will run backwards and commit a ton of safeties. "

(laughing!)
    i love it!

you do realize what this means. bb always has been the crazy (insane magician); now he's gone just plain crazy.

the only possibility for us is he is crazy in the way to say to the league, "look i dont have to draft good players, i'll draft projects only and 3rd and 4th rd players and udfa's and i'm so good i'll coach them to a super bowl; even with my low iq "offensive coordinator"".

thing is, it didnt work last year.
    but, bb is stubborn
    hes gonna try again.

"i'm gonna win a sb with the worst defense in the league if it kills me!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aluvium. Show aluvium's posts

Everyone is saying Ras-I Dowling is crazy injury prone and wont stay on the field so I decided to look at his college career expecting to see that he missed a lot of games, but he appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games prior to his senior year where he only played in 5 games. So really just this last year he had some issues.

Its just I see people on here saying things like he missed more games then he played in his career and stuff, he really just had one bad year. Plenty of guys have missed a season and then never had big issues after, so lets hope thats the case here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckles101. Show chuckles101's posts

Apparently BB had a blindfold on & was swinging wildly at a pinata in the draft room.  Has to be one of the worst drafts by an NFL team in history.  I think the Raiders & Al Davis had a better draft.  Kraft needs to find a GM who can judge college talent & leave BB far away from Gillette on draft day.  We can only hope SOMEONE is available in free agency who can rush the passer who we can now sign for twice the $$$$ a draft choice would've cost.  GRADE:::  F- 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]THAT'S IT WE ARE DONE.  Traded 92 and 4th to Oakland. The Miser stashes some more for 2012, then 2013, then 2014 The only d-man drafted was a Corner. I guess Ras and Devin are going to be so good that we will not have to pressure the opposing QBs. TBC and Ronny B must be the happiest men in the world tonight ....
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]

. "I guess Ras and Devin are going to be so good that we will not have to pressure the opposing QBs. "

priceless
    (:)

"TBC and Ronny B must be the happiest men in the world tonight ...."

thanks for the help in finding the humor in all ofthis. it helps!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]73 and 74, we could have had Moffit and Hankerson, two good players at two need positions. I'll take Ridley but I don't get us picking Mallett, at all.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

its bb's "bizarro" world (if you know the seinfeld or comic book reference. everything has to be opposite. you cannot actually pick what you need, you can only pick what you dont need.

so no joradan, no kerrigan, no watt, no heyward, no costanzo or carimi, no cobb or little, no thomas or leshoure, no moffit, wisniewski or hudson or watkins.
    now do you understand. everyone? ive figured out the belichick code for this years draft. besides if we dint do this and did pick these players to fit our highest needs, we would be too much like the "other"teams.were the pats, i'm bb, we do it differently.

ok tongue in cheek
    i'm a little punchy.
    its lamost 4 am and havent gone to bed yet.
    only an hour or so from my normal schedule, but still.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Corner blitz, baby.
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]

its all about the corners baby!
    corners rule the world!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Well, NE wants their customary six picks in the first three rounds ... so they can trade them again.  What is the fun of the draft if you aren't wheeling and dealing for wheeling and dealing's sake?   ;-)
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

who cares about super bowls, its more fun to see how i can get 6 picks in the first 3 rounds every year! dont you see!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I think the lockout is a Hugh factor in this draft. When and if the season starts, rookies will be behind the 8ball with a steep learning curve, (not so steep for RBs). Returning veterans will have a hugh leg up, and, all other things being equal, will be more valuable than untested, learn-cramming rookies. BB is saving chips for 2012.
    Posted by teegee[/QUOTE]
    nice spin,  you have unrealized talent and should be working in washington dc.
    :)

(levity understand,  just  a little levity)

peace

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonitated. Show bonitated's posts

Pats draft sucked  who is going to rush the qb?????No one so far in this draft  Has BB lost his marbles???2 rb's in the draft...NO DLINE OR OLB??????wHAT IS GOING ON.  last years version of pats defence couldn't hold a pop warner team from getting any 3rd down oe go up and down the field.  AT times I could get up and grab a beer and the opposition QB would be still looking for his 4th or 5th option to throw.  Pats draft as far as I an conderned is a C at best.  Often injured corner top 2nd round????Can't undestand pick will couch BB please report for drug testing now...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]BB has accomplished his desired goal 2 firsts and 2 seconds in 2012....Thanks to Uncle Al...When FA's can finally be signed there are several good DE's on the list,and maybe BB has a plan to sign one.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

if not, hope we're not veering into al davis territory.
    (hope hes not at the beginning of some slide).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Bill still has no one who can get near the quatarterback. We're an early out again. It's time to worry about his draft picks.
    Posted by quincyfish[/QUOTE]

its been there, ive been saying it. last year was not bad but i had been noticing some apparent tendencies now sort of confirmed.

see zbellino posts today and mine of 2.5 - 3 months ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Mallett is to much a partier. I see him drinking and smoking his way out of the league before he see's a regular season snap
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

yeah i think it was on csnne maybe or weei i forget curren and guys saying they need to now hire 24 hour security for mallet to make ssure he stays out of trouble.
    and i agree, seriously.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I understand that Belichick and the personnel guys know much more about they guys they're drafting than we do.  But to me, it was really obvious that the defense is missing a guy who can consistently pressure the QB, whether at OLB, DE, or a McGinest hybrid type.  It's such a clear need.  Either BB thinks a guy like Cunningham will improve a lot or he was just not impressed with the options in the draft.  A typical Pats draft, they do just the opposite of what everyone expects.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

"will improve a lot or he was just not impressed with the options in the draft."

or he is afraid of making a mistake for some reason
    the options we dont see, many other teams seem to see and execute.

A typical Pats draft, they do just the opposite of what everyone expects.   

yes, too our detriment 50% of the time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Apparently BB had a blindfold on & was swinging wildly at a pinata in the draft room.  Has to be one of the worst drafts by an NFL team in history.  I think the Raiders & Al Davis had a better draft.  Kraft needs to find a GM who can judge college talent & leave BB far away from Gillette on draft day.  We can only hope SOMEONE is available in free agency who can rush the passer who we can now sign for twice the $$$$ a draft choice would've cost.  GRADE:::  F- 
    Posted by chuckles101[/QUOTE]

Wow those kids haven't even come down from cloud 9 from getting drafted by the Patriots and it is the worst draft ever?

We all talked about needing, OT, RBs and some of us wanted a CB and we got 6'8" 320 lb 8% body fat LT that yes isn't the most ready but has the highest ceiling, a CB that had not been for a bad senior season with injuries he would had been a 1st rounder oh who ran a 4.4 40 at the combine while limping the last 10 yards he'll be healthy and prior to last year he did not have injuries guys sometimes get hurt.
    Follow that by a dinamic back, guy can do it all he's the perfect mix of BJGE and Woody can play special teams bounch the rock outside catch ect improved version of Faulk/Woody.
    Then you take a guy who everyone called for (type player) big back who 4th and 2 you put big uglys in front and have him push a pile.
    Then they take the #1 rate QB on their board, kid spent a few days in there.  If he didn't convince them the reports were some what exagerated (even confirmed by his coach) he would not had been on his board.  Mallet I take there's risk but if he comes in listens to vets (brady) learns the O (he's one of the highest football IQ on the draft) he wins the #2 QB spot and now you can either trade Hoyer or keep him as #3.  Brady goes down and Mallet has the tools to manage the O and now you have the RBs to be a power running team if you have to.

I hear the pass rush, I guess I like Eric Moore to much and Fletcher.  They have depth at DE and OLB on the roster which they didn't at OT, RB, QB and CB(ones that do not get beat).

Also don't expect a pass rusher in the 5th maybe none at all.  It will be big uglys and maybe a development WR.

I respect your opinion, I'm also a bit disapointed they didn't take Sheard but last I checked I haven't selected the last two years a Rookie pro bowler, starters on both sides and taken a 7th rounder converted him into a 2nd.  In Bill I Trust, this is a 14-2 team, they will play with leads now they get a lead and they have the work hourses to run the ball and kill the clock.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Trying to digest this draft.  I can see the logic in things until Ridley.  That pick makes absolutely no sense.  I can understand Mallett from a value stand point and considering we didn't have a #3 QB.  I can even see Vereen to a degree in that he is a complete back, faster than BJGE with better hands but I can't see him getting more carries than BJGE.  He is really a cross between Woody and BJGE so okay, he gives us depth so I can understand it.  But Ridley makes no sense especially in the 3rd round, after the 5th maybe.  John Moffitt was taken 2 spots later.  Swap Moffitt for Ridley and I'd feel a lot better about this draft.  Right now I'd give it a C- even with the extra picks next year.  With all the ammo we had, we mis-fired IMO.  We still have 4 more picks tomorrow and there is still talent on the board so hopefully we land a couple of gems tomorrow. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree, moffit woulda really helped!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I don't completely agree with this. We didn't get teh pass rusher or a DL to upgrade the front 7, but the back of the D was upgraded for sure. Espeically if you consider Pats7393 depth chart, where he has Bodden at FS with Chung at SS, McCourty and Dowling at CB. That is an upgrade at both the CB and S position. If that depth chart has any ioda of truth, that to me is an upgrade for sure and gives us one of the best secondaries in the league. With Warren back, that upgrades the front 3/4 as compared to last year. The only missing piece again, is that dominant pass rusher. Maybe we can create some pressure from Moore, Cunningham, Fletcher,TBC. Maybe the improvemnt of the secondary helps the front 7...I'm reaching man.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Is Bodden who's never played FS an upgrade over Meriweather right now? You'd be hard pressed to say he definitely is. Is an untested rookie an upgrade over a pro-bowl CB? I can't say that our secondary is any better then it was last year. You are just moving a couple known pieces and moving in a couple unknown with the possibility they might slightly upgrade.

On top of that we still don't know how Warren is going to come back from his knee injury and we still have JAGs at LDE and LOLB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

scenerio i thought of overnight after draft: the pats traded to get another 1st and second round pick and didnt draft a olb/de. chiefs franchised tamb hali this year. the pats use the picks they traded for to get one of the best olb/de in the league in tamba hali. this would def make sense, and make this draft day wheeling and dealing one of the best drafts ever. on another note, cameron wimberly is another free agen option. thoughts? would u do it? i would in a heartbeat!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

well and good, but i have to agree with those, including some of the more conservative members of the core here, that bb is at best, an avg evaluator of talent. any of you that may be gasping,  i'm saying the emperor seems to have no clothes. kraft will never do it, but in my opinion, bb is a great coach who would benefit from a great gm making the picks like most of the other better franchises in the nfl.
    further, the organization would do better by hiring real off and def coordinators to have on staff, instead of trying to make guys into them.
    if we did these things we would go from being a good franchise to maybe better even than the steelers in the annals of history.

night women and gents

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]scenerio i thought of overnight after draft: the pats traded to get another 1st and second round pick and didnt draft a olb/de. chiefs franchised tamb hali this year. the pats use the picks they traded for to get one of the best olb/de in the league in tamba hali. this would def make sense, and make this draft day wheeling and dealing one of the best drafts ever. on another note, cameron wimberly is another free agen option. thoughts? would u do it? i would in a heartbeat!!!!
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

if you did all this with a plan to execute this, it is insanely risky. how do you know it happens.  and even if it did, this is not even close to one of the best drafts ever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Strange? Head scratcher? I try to look at this glass as half full. I don't know if I can still do it. That was not a very nice draft experience - especially with all the discussion we have had here. I don't know why, but my emotion right now is similar to whe they were knocked out in the playoffs versus the Ravens. I don't know if I can come back here for the 2012 version of this thread (I do recognize that nobody's going to miss me).  I guess my wife will be pleased.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I am with you! You sound just how I feel today as well. My wife asked if I lost my best friend. All that time just for me to be WAY OFF. I was so excited about this draft and came away like I am never doing a PATS's mock draft again and asking myself what the F am I watching us do. Maybe if we have a good FA period I will feel better. But really no OLB/DE by now,REALLY!!!!!    Done, KG

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of activity today.  What I didn't like: * I was pretty bummed to see them pass on Brooks Reed and Randall Cobb.  Heck, I'm not the biggest Justin Houston guy out there, but he too could've been worth a shot at 60. * Ridley looks like the potential big power back that they've been looking for, but Rd 3 seems high for him. What I liked: * Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid. * Vereen is a kid that I've been particularly high on; strong, smart, good character, decent size, good speed, toughness and ability to catch the football, also looks to be adept in pass-pro.  Picking up a 2012 2nd rounder. On the fence: Mallett is a kid that makes a ton of sense physically.  Great size and arm strength, but he comes with his fair share of red flags.  A 1st Rd talent in the 3rd, is a great value pick, hopefully he can capitalize on the opportunity he's been given (the chance to learn under an all-time great for one of the best organizations in the NFL). What I hope to see tomorrow: The player I most want to see land in Foxboro is Mark Herzlich, that would make my Saturday. As for the overall board, assuming RB and QB are no longer targets, below are players that I'd love to see BB select on Day 3: Herzlich Romeus Elmore Skrine Carmicheal Beal Acho Sands Sanzenbacher Kerley Maehl Jeron Johnson Tim Barnes Andrew Jackson Clint Boling Chris Carter Mike Person Jordan Cameron Ahmad Black
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Hi MB, good list.  I'm looking for two other interior OL types, would like to see Andrew Jackson OG from Fresno State (the poor man's Mankins as he's called by some TV dudes)

here's a my list, on the OL and DL IMO the difference starting mid 3rd to 5th/6th as far as talent is not a huge drop.
    OL
    Andrew Jackson OG
    Stephen Schilling OG
    Brandon Fusco C/OG
    DeMarcus Love OG
    Derek Newton RT/OG
    Byron Stingily OT/OG - Very raw, can play both OT and OG spots.
    Ray Dominquez OG
    Ryan Bartholomew C
    Mike Person OG (played both OT spots for MOntana State, plays mean will need to move to OG and get stronger, good punch)

DL
    Cedric Thornton DE/DT (6'3" 309 10 sacks 2009 only 1.5 2010)
    Lawrence Guy DE (in the 5th, a kid with starting potential)
    David Carter DE
    Lazarius Levington DE
    Zach Clayton DT (inside rusher, 6'2" 299)

LBs
    Ugo Chinasa OLB
    Greg Romeus OLB (they will need a 4th for him)
    Cliff Matthews OLB (some thought he was a 1st rounder before the season began, he didn't play to that level)
    Ricky Elmore OLB/DE
    Mark Herzlich OLB
    Doug Hogue OLB only 235 lbs, situation pass rusher
    Markell Carter OLB
    Bruce Miller OLB (6'1" 254 lbs at UCF racked up 35 sacks)
    Gabe Miller OLB (converted TE, 2 years DE experience very quick off the snap. 6'3" 260 4.63 40)

WR/TE
    Ronald Johnson WR
    Julius Thomas TE
    Aldrick Robinson WR (deep threat but only 175lbs, 4.35 40 17 reps not weak)

DB
    Mark LeGree FS (one of my favorite players in this draft) 22 Ints at Appalachian State, guy has a nose for finding the ball.
    Byron Maxwell CB/S
    Shiloh Keo SS
    Justin Rogers CB (bring him in let him compete for the slot job, great cover CB at Richmond)