2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from berniemill. Show berniemill's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***

IMO, drafting 2 RB's and no OL or LB in 2nd round just a waste. sometimes I think B.B. doesn't draft players in areas where everyone else thinks there is a need just to be contrary. Or he thinks he can "coach up " players already on the roster (Rich Orenberger anyone ? ) .
    RB's like Vereen & Ridley would have been available 30 picks lower, using 2 no. 2's to get them doesn't make sense to me

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I looked through the FA's and it's a really weak FA class unless you are trading picks for RFA or tagged players which is asking a lot from BB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjPU5YxvTA

If anyone hasn't seen this video on Dowling it about his character. Have to say that I can't remember a coach talking about one of his players that I took to be more sincere. If he can play the game ( avoid injury ) then the DB leadership this kid and McCourty will bring should be special for awhile.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Good video, Asher. Looks like a gret kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!***:
    [QUOTE]This draft was one of the strangest I've ever witnessed...Looking at the 5800+ posts this board, a lot of the names we drafted came up as potential targets, like Solder, Dowling, Vereen...but, I don't think many of us had them goingn where they did, and had us picking guys at their positions ahead of them. IT tells me the Pats value board is tricky. BB seems more aligned with teh way Parcells values picks vs. the rest of the NFL community. I remeber watching Parcells board and was thinking, "what the heck?". His board was just totally different than most, and it looked to me that BB's was very similar in some ways. It had to be, to pass on Jordan, Houston, Reed, Sheard, Heyward, Wilkerson, Jenkins, etc. when we had the chances. Obviously he didn't value these kids the same way we did. Something has got to be going on in FA...either that, or BB sees somethinig in his LB corps that he likes...I know Pats7393, you have been on Moore for a while, and perhaps he is a piece to the puzzle, but I'm also thinking maybe he's going to try Fletcher outside, and maybe target an FA..although I have no idea who.... What surprises me most abotu this draft is that the Pats did not take a G throuhg the 4th round. Maybe they go grab Boling tomorrow, I don't know, but I would have thought they would have spent a pick on a G somewhat high given Mankins siutation...unless they firmly believe he will show, and they have no doubts.... I'm scratching my head, shaking my head and hoping to god BB has a plan to create some pressure from our D.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Strange? Head scratcher? I try to look at this glass as half full. I don't know if I can still do it.

That was not a very nice draft experience - especially with all the discussion we have had here. I don't know why, but my emotion right now is similar to whe they were knocked out in the playoffs versus the Ravens.

I don't know if I can come back here for the 2012 version of this thread (I do recognize that nobody's going to miss me).  I guess my wife will be pleased.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Yeah can't say I'm very comfortable with that at all. The D didn't improve at all and Mankins might sit out another 10 games. Don't see the running game getting a big upgrade and at least for the 1st year or two until he fully develops I can't see Solder being any better then Light was the last couple of years (long term though he's going to be a force). It doesn't feel like we improved at all with 6 picks in the first 96 picks which is just wrong considering even BB said that this draft had the best DL and rushing talent he's seen in 10 years.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I don't completely agree with this. We didn't get teh pass rusher or a DL to upgrade the front 7, but the back of the D was upgraded for sure. Espeically if you consider Pats7393 depth chart, where he has Bodden at FS with Chung at SS, McCourty and Dowling at CB. That is an upgrade at both the CB and S position. If that depth chart has any ioda of truth, that to me is an upgrade for sure and gives us one of the best secondaries in the league.

With Warren back, that upgrades the front 3/4 as compared to last year. The only missing piece again, is that dominant pass rusher. Maybe we can create some pressure from Moore, Cunningham, Fletcher,TBC. Maybe the improvemnt of the secondary helps the front 7...I'm reaching man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

PatsLifer, I agree with everything you just said about this draft, I couldn't agree more.  He does seem to look at it the same way as Parcells.  I too am really surprised he hasn't taken a guard yet.  I remain positive about BB but am a little puzzled as you say by the many good players he seemed to pass up.  As someone else said, it's not so much against the players he took, just the positions. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : no, was asking what you thought.  I think in two years he will be a 1st round pick if Brady is still playing at a high level.  Considering Brady just had his best year as a pro I can guess without injuries Mallet will be traded for a pick. But you are right, it is a win win if he does what he's supposed to. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Yes as long as Brady is healthythat would be my initial reaction also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm now going through all the picks we made and reading all the analysis by these various mock sites before the draft.

One nugget I saw was on Vereen. I have found more than 1 reference saying that he runs very crisp and precise routes, and in fact, has lined up in the slot from time to time. He is an above average route runner, and catching passes is a very strong part of his game. He is also a very good kick returner. I don't know if he is as prolific a KR as was Tate coming out, in fact i highly doubt it, but provides options there as well. Tate to me kind of fizzled out KR'ing last year. Good start and saw a few flashes, but no Devin Hester is he.

Overall, I think we did a lot to upgrade our RB group. 2 solid and complimentary picks, we get a great pass catching/shifty Vereen, and a workhorse thumper in Ridley. I think we all wanted those traits, but we often talked about different players and possibly getting them later in the draft. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

What happened to all the front 7 talk he did in his interviews?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I'm now going through all the picks we made and reading all the analysis by these various mock sites before the draft. One nugget I saw was on Vereen. I have found more than 1 reference saying that he runs very crisp and precise routes, and in fact, has lined up in the slot from time to time. He is an above average route runner, and catching passes is a very strong part of his game. He is also a very good kick returner. I don't know if he is as prolific a KR as was Tate coming out, in fact i highly doubt it, but provides options there as well. Tate to me kind of fizzled out KR'ing last year. Good start and saw a few flashes, but no Devin Hester is he. Overall, I think we did a lot to upgrade our RB group. 2 solid and complimentary picks, we get a great pass catching/shifty Vereen, and a workhorse thumper in Ridley. I think we all wanted those traits, but we often talked about different players and possibly getting them later in the draft.   

I live in a PAC 10 state so I do keep track of prospects who might upgrade the Pats. I have seen Vereen a few times and my assessment is that he's not an upgrade to Woodhead. I think Woody is more elusive and quicker and harder to take down on contact. And I do not see him as a 3-down back.

I looked for him on youtube today and found his clip versus Wazzu. Those highlights were pretty representative of what you can expect from him. He would gain you 2-5 yards, but certainly not a back that would make other teams stop from or be concerned about overcompensating in favor of defending the pass.

(Well of course I also said that Locker is to inaccurate to be take in the first round. I am not killing myslef over that though because obviously there was a lot of desperation for QB this year).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : ...I'm reaching man.

Yes you are...and it's understandable that we want to try to be positive about this.

My view is that the D will not be worse than last year. In fact, I believe it will be solid. I believe the front 7 will improve.

My disappointment has more to do with wasting an opportunity to build a front 7 that could be so scary that it gets in the minds of opposing QBs even before the game starts. And I did not even think that BB had to trade up to do that. All he had to do was to pick one good one in the first two rounds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

[QUOTE]What happened to all the front 7 talk he did in his interviews?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Smokescreen??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]What happened to all the front 7 talk he did in his interviews?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Bigtime smokesreen..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Smokescreen??
    Posted by Peduncle72[/QUOTE]

With the players he picked and where he picked them, I don't needed to go exert extra effort. Solder, maybe. Dowling? No.

Besides, what do you need a smokescreen for if you're just trading away the picks anyway?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aluvium. Show aluvium's posts

I am disappointed we didnt get a OLB but all these people saying "oh player x could have been had so much lower" how do you know? Other then the fact "draft experts" who dont work for teams are saying they dont grade them there. When we took Solder it was said that the Giants(19) were mad because that is who they were going to take, and quite a few said he was the best OT in the draft, just depends who you ask, so he probably wouldnt have lasted to 28.

Then saying Dowling could have been had lower well a couple DBs ended up coming off the board right after so he might not have lasted or they couldnt trade down to a spot where they thought they could still get him. People are saying Vereen was a reach as well and could be had later, how do we know as there was a run of RBs right after.

Everyone said we reached big time on McCourty, Vollmer, Mankins, etc and they ended up good and dont look like reaches now so I guess I find it weird when everyone always says oh yeah they could be had so much later when you never really know.

Its hard to read these threads sometimes as everyone is so negitive about everything, its happened in previous years as well. We knew we needed a tackle, we knew we needed more RBs with only 2(we carried 4-5 last year), we know secondary can always be helped as you need many good ones and people can suddenly get injured and change the picture easily.

Guess I would rather look at the positive side of it. Our defense will be better this year, had one of the youngest defenses in the league last season and will only improve, plus guys from injuries returning and free agency to come we dont have a complete picture, this is just an early snapshot.

I know I am being a homer, but it feels better then hating everything we do. Hopefully tomorrow we take a flier on a couple guys like Romeus/Herzlich. Still a couple solid guys left and at this point its all a gamble.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

all five players the Pats picked were team captains.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]I am disappointed we didnt get a OLB but all these people saying "oh player x could have been had so much lower" how do you know? Other then the fact "draft experts" who dont work for teams are saying they dont grade them there. When we took Solder it was said that the Giants(19) were mad because that is who they were going to take, and quite a few said he was the best OT in the draft, just depends who you ask, so he probably wouldnt have lasted to 28. Then saying Dowling could have been had lower well a couple DBs ended up coming off the board right after so he might not have lasted or they couldnt trade down to a spot where they thought they could still get him. People are saying Vereen was a reach as well and could be had later, how do we know as there was a run of RBs right after. Everyone said we reached big time on McCourty, Vollmer, Mankins, etc and they ended up good and dont look like reaches now so I guess I find it weird when everyone always says oh yeah they could be had so much later when you never really know. Its hard to read these threads sometimes as everyone is so negitive about everything, its happened in previous years as well. We knew we needed a tackle, we knew we needed more RBs with only 2(we carried 4-5 last year), we know secondary can always be helped as you need many good ones and people can suddenly get injured and change the picture easily. Guess I would rather look at the positive side of it. Our defense will be better this year, had one of the youngest defenses in the league last season and will only improve, plus guys from injuries returning and free agency to come we dont have a complete picture, this is just an early snapshot. I know I am being a homer, but it feels better then hating everything we do. Hopefully tomorrow we take a flier on a couple guys like Romeus/Herzlich. Still a couple solid guys left and at this point its all a gamble.
    Posted by aluvium[/QUOTE]

I think you have the right thinking with this draft. Needs were addressed and we got quality players for that need.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : I don't completely agree with this. We didn't get teh pass rusher or a DL to upgrade the front 7, but the back of the D was upgraded for sure. Espeically if you consider Pats7393 depth chart, where he has Bodden at FS with Chung at SS, McCourty and Dowling at CB. That is an upgrade at both the CB and S position. If that depth chart has any ioda of truth, that to me is an upgrade for sure and gives us one of the best secondaries in the league. With Warren back, that upgrades the front 3/4 as compared to last year. The only missing piece again, is that dominant pass rusher. Maybe we can create some pressure from Moore, Cunningham, Fletcher,TBC. Maybe the improvemnt of the secondary helps the front 7...I'm reaching man.

"Maybe the improvemnt of the secondary helps the front 7...I'm reaching man."

hey lifer, yeah you are.
    we had 4 round 1 and 2 picks to address our most glaring need (or at least tied with o line)
    and we did not.

i feel you..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I understand that Belichick and the personnel guys know much more about they guys they're drafting than we do.  But to me, it was really obvious that the defense is missing a guy who can consistently pressure the QB, whether at OLB, DE, or a McGinest hybrid type.  It's such a clear need.  Either BB thinks a guy like Cunningham will improve a lot or he was just not impressed with the options in the draft. 

A typical Pats draft, they do just the opposite of what everyone expects.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***IT'S GO TIME!*** : Smokescreen??
    Posted by Peduncle72[/QUOTE]

yeah smokescreen for vereen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A lot of activity today. 

What I didn't like:

*I was pretty bummed to see them pass on Brooks Reed and Randall Cobb.  Heck, I'm not the biggest Justin Houston guy out there, but he too could've been worth a shot at 60.

Ridley looks like the potential big power back that they've been looking for, but Rd 3 seems high for him.

What I liked:

*Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid.

*Vereen is a kid that I've been particularly high on; strong, smart, good character, decent size, good speed, toughness and ability to catch the football, also looks to be adept in pass-pro. 

Picking up a 2012 2nd rounder.

On the fence:

Mallett is a kid that makes a ton of sense physically.  Great size and arm strength, but he comes with his fair share of red flags.  A 1st Rd talent in the 3rd, is a great value pick, hopefully he can capitalize on the opportunity he's been given (the chance to learn under an all-time great for one of the best organizations in the NFL).

What I hope to see tomorrow:

The player I most want to see land in Foxboro is Mark Herzlich, that would make my Saturday.

As for the overall board, assuming RB and QB are no longer targets, below are players that I'd love to see BB select on Day 3:

Herzlich
    Romeus
    Elmore
    Skrine
    Carmicheal
    Beal
    Acho
    Sands
    Sanzenbacher
    Kerley
    Maehl
    Jeron Johnson
    Tim Barnes
    Andrew Jackson
    Clint Boling
    Chris Carter
    Mike Person
    Jordan Cameron
    Ahmad Black

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Well, NE wants their customary six picks in the first three rounds ... so they can trade them again.  What is the fun of the draft if you aren't wheeling and dealing for wheeling and dealing's sake?   ;-)
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

said this 2 months or so ago and that i hope he knows how to change the music(his habit) at the appropriate time. guess not. he's just letting the needle go over on the the scratchy part of the record now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Mr. Belichick, please pass the crack pipe.  What are you doing now?
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

well mr faucet,
       if it isnt someone beside me saying "you know what, the emperor may not have on any clothes."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of activity today.  What I didn't like: * I was pretty bummed to see them pass on Brooks Reed and Randall Cobb.  Heck, I think Houston would've been worth a shot 60. * Ridley looks like the potential big power back that they've been looking for, but I question taking him in Rd 3.  What I liked: * Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid. * Vereen is a kid that I've been particularly high on; strong, smart, good character, decent size, good speed, toughness and ability to catch the football, also looks to be adept in pass-pro.  Picking up a 2012 2nd rounder. On the fence: Mallett is a kid that makes a ton of sense physically.  Great size and arm strength, but he comes with his fair share of red flags.  A 1st Rd talent in the 3rd, is a great value pick, hopefully he can capitalize on the opportunity he's been given (the chance to learn under an all-time great for one of the best organizations in the NFL). What I hope to see tomorrow: The player I most want to see land in Foxboro is Mark Herzlich, that would make my Saturday. As for the overall board, assuming RB and QB are no longer targets, below are players that I'd love to see BB select on Day 3: Herzlich Romeus Elmore Skrine Carmicheal Beal Acho Sands Sanzenbacher Kerley Maehl Jeron Johnson Tim Barnes Andrew Jackson Clint Boling Chris Carter Mike Person Jordan Cameron Ahmad Black
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

hey mb, i agreed with you on this:
    "Ras-I gives them an element of size not currently seen in their CB crop.  He has a good combo of size, speed, quicks, athleticism and physicality and looks like smart, high character kid."
       was a need just after higher needs should have been met.
    was a guy i looked at and liked. wanted tthem to check out injury frequency history.

power back, didnt you like thomas?