2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

Now let's look at some of the best OLBs in the NFL and how they started their careers.  I will include Vrabel because he played for us.  Vrabel was a 3rd round pick of the Steelers as we all know.

Vrabel (3-91)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    1997Steelers1714220
    1998Steelers96300
    1999Steelers54210
    2000Steelers53100
    2001Patriots6037302
    2002Patriots7551501
    2003Patriots52381042
    2004Patriots6752600
    2005Patriots10469512
    2006Patriots8954533
    2007Patriots77561350
    2008Patriots6240411
    2009Chiefs5243220
    2010Chiefs3621010

J. Harrison (UDFA)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2002Steelers00000
    2004Steelers2220100
    2005Steelers3125301
    2006Steelers85000
    2007Steelers8666961
    2008Steelers92591671
    2009Steelers79601050
    2010Steelers75561062

Dumervil (4-126)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2006Broncos14118.510
    2007Broncos39341341
    2008Broncos2417510
    2009Broncos49421740

Ware (1-11)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2005Cowboys5847830
    2006Cowboys73591251
    2007Cowboys84601440
    2008Cowboys84692060
    2009Cowboys57451150
    2010Cowboys44401010

Here are the stats for Cunningham and Ninkovich.

Cunningham (2-53)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Patriots2721120
    on pacePatriots3932130

NinkovichTeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2006Saints22000
    2007Dolphins00000
    2008Dolphins00000
    2009Patriots114100
    2010Patriots3824102
    on pacePatriots5535103

It took Vrabel and Harrison 4 years before they really started to make their mark in the 5th year.  Obviously a lot of that has to do with not starting or being given an opportunity to play.  Ninkovich is just now getting his chance.  Ninkovich is pretty much were Vrabel was his first year with us. 

Harrison and Dumervil show you don't have to be a high draft pick to be a top sack performer while DeMarcus Ware shows you can be as he is the bench mark all OLBs should be measured against.

My point is we don't know what we have yet.  Cunningham could develop into the OLB we are looking for.  Dane Fletcher hasn't been given much of a chance yet but he was a rush DE in college.  These things sometimes take time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's recap.  Fletcher didn't dress for the first 3 games.  We clearly don't have  a pass rusher.  Banta-Cain had a career year last year.  Okay, I talked myself into us needing a pass rusher.  Where we take on is still the question IMO.  There are just as many later round gems as first round busts.

Flecter (UDFA)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Patriots64010
    on pacePatriots107020

Banta-Cain (7-239)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2003Patriots21101
    2004Patriots106200
    2005Patriots52000
    2006Patriots3424610
    200749ers4130400
    200849ers52100
    2009Patriots55351000
    2010Patriots3225300
    on pacePatriots4736400

Cunningham (2-53)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2010Patriots2721120
    on pacePatriots3932130

Ninkovich (5-135)TeamTCKLSoloSckFFINT
    2006Saints22000
    2007Dolphins00000
    2008Dolphins00000
    2009Patriots114100
    2010Patriots3824102
    on pacePatriots5535103

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Thanks, Faucet, for the great posts!  What this makes me think is we better hope BB keeps all his picks this year, instead of giving them away for futures.  If it takes some years for these guys to produce well, the Brady years are shortening, we better load up right now with the 2011 draft!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Thanks Faucet. Keep it coming!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

it looks like the lockout rhetoric from both sides is steadily increasing. it worries me that few underclassmen come out if clarity on this issue is not reached before the draft. that could mean a thin draft when bb is holding  a lot of early picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Hey guys.  New to site, great draft info. here!  Just wanted to chip in on Titus Young.  I live in the NW, and see quite a few BSU games.  This kid is worth taking a shot on, preferably 3rd round or later.  Top end speed, seems to run soild routes, and has shown great hands.  Plays bigger than his small frame.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

boy that nick fairley is a dirty playing mofo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xljcMJxJZg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Thanks Faucet for all of your info!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the kind words.  A few observations...

I've watched a ton of Auburn football this year as I'm sure most draftnicks have.  It is hard not to be blown away by Cam Newton.  Pay for play aside, why wouldn't he be considered the #1 pick?  I hope he goes to CAR number 1 because I don't want to face him twice a year.  BUF could take him, they signed TO afterall.  Newton is instant offense and just scary good.

Lee Ziemba is a better LT than people give him credit.  Maybe he'd be a nice option in the 3rd, move him to RT and Vollmer to LT. 

I have only seen part of one Baylor game.  Anyone have an opinion if LT Danny Watkins, 6-4, 310, 5.17 would be a nice candidate for LG, assuming Mankins leaves?  BB loves versatile linesmen.  Watkins has the perfect size for a BB guard and he is fast!!  I'm still high on Moffitt and Schilling for LG, just looking for other options.  Watkins might be around in the 3-4 round.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]Hey guys.  New to site, great draft info. here!  Just wanted to chip in on Titus Young.  I live in the NW, and see quite a few BSU games.  This kid is worth taking a shot on, preferably 3rd round or later.  Top end speed, seems to run soild routes, and has shown great hands.  Plays bigger than his small frame.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]
    Titus Young has been getting a lot of play here.  He is a talent, but Mb pointed out he has some off-the-field issues, unsure how serious they are.  Seems to me this draft could be loaded with WR talent.  If Broyles comes out as rumored he would have to be considered a first round talent.  If Blackmon, Green, Jones, Floyd and Baldwin all declare this would be a sick draft for WRs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys.  New to site, great draft info. here!  Just wanted to chip in on Titus Young.  I live in the NW, and see quite a few BSU games.  This kid is worth taking a shot on, preferably 3rd round or later.  Top end speed, seems to run soild routes, and has shown great hands.  Plays bigger than his small frame.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Faucet .. your info continues to amaze me....thanks   Mex you are absolutely right about Fairly as dirty as they come... a ton of late hits too. Newton is a beast. The good news to me is that he has to have moved up in the draft and pushed Watt down one place maybe we have a shot at him , it is goin to be close. How did Watt play Sat?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I am really hoping every good QB comes out that can this year.  There are a ton of QB needy teams, as usual, and that can push several great players in our direction. 

The more I see of Kerrigan OLB, the more and more I like him.  The more I also think we will need to use the Oak pick on him. Obviously it depends on how they finish out the season, but I dont think our pick will land him anymore. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with Faucet on assessment of Newton with one caveat you can't run draws and option plays all day against a good NFL defense. Also agree with the potential for this to be a good year for WRs if some players declare. I could see the Pats take Floyd with the high 2nd. We had plenty of love for Golden Tate last year, Why no love for Floyd this year ? (pro-style offense etc......)

Appreciate all Faucet and MB and others have done. Still hoping for an SD blowout versus Raiders and subsequent collapse (6-10, 7-9). Really like the 2nd round Panther pick (OT or OG or WR).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with Faucet on assessment of Newton with one caveat you can't run draws and option plays all day against a good NFL defense. Also agree with the potential for this to be a good year for WRs if some players declare. I could see the Pats take Floyd with the high 2nd. We had plenty of love for Golden Tate last year, Why no love for Floyd this year ? (pro-style offense etc......) Appreciate all Faucet and MB and others have done. Still hoping for an SD blowout versus Raiders and subsequent collapse (6-10, 7-9). Really like the 2nd round Panther pick (OT or OG or WR).
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

JHr,
    I, for one, like Floyd a lot as a player, he's big, good hands, has some decent quicks (though BB generally prefers elite speed, quickness and agility in his WR's) and speed, will go over the middle, good ball skills and will provide a red zone presence, has some big play ability, will get dirty as a blocker and will take a team on his shoulders.  I think he's an option for them in Rds 2 or 3 assuming he declares.  He's at the very least a good possession guy at the NFL level, IMO.

I just think there's more love for Julio at this point, for good reason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with Faucet on assessment of Newton with one caveat you can't run draws and option plays all day against a good NFL defense. Also agree with the potential for this to be a good year for WRs if some players declare. I could see the Pats take Floyd with the high 2nd. We had plenty of love for Golden Tate last year, Why no love for Floyd this year ? (pro-style offense etc......) Appreciate all Faucet and MB and others have done. Still hoping for an SD blowout versus Raiders and subsequent collapse (6-10, 7-9). Really like the 2nd round Panther pick (OT or OG or WR).
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]
    Hog,

I think Newton in Buffalo with CJ Spiller could be scary.  I agree he won't be running as many draws or options in the NFL but when you're the 25th ranked offense a 6-5, 250 lb QB that can throw and run the way Newton does can make an immediate impact.  Newton is pretty much the whole Auburn offense.

Buffalo is also last in stopping the run which would make a case for Fairley.  Fairley is a dirty player, no doubt about it, but I don't think it affects his draft status.  Rodney Harrison was considered a dirty player too but we still love him. 
    Talking about WR, I was a bit surprised Julio Jones wasn't a finalist for the Belinikoff Award.  The three finalists are:  Ryan Broyles - Oklahoma,  Alshon Jeffery - South Carolina, and Justin Blackmon - Oklahoma State.  I can understand Green not being a finalist since he missed 4 games. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet .. your info continues to amaze me....thanks   Mex you are absolutely right about Fairly as dirty as they come... a ton of late hits too. Newton is a beast. The good news to me is that he has to have moved up in the draft and pushed Watt down one place maybe we have a shot at him , it is goin to be close. How did Watt play Sat?
    Posted by max5344[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Max.  Wisconsin didn't play, they don't have a title game.  They won their conference based on their BCS standing winning the three-way tie with Ohio State and Michigan State.  They are off until the Rose Bowl where they will face TCU.

I watched the Nebraska/Oklahoma game yesterday and here are my observations.

OKLAHOMA
    Jeremey Beal - I didn't see much of anything out of him.  He was often doubled when lined up as DE.  I wasn't keying on him, just didn't hear his name called or see him in on many plays.

Ryan Broyles- 3 catches for 61 yards including a nice crossing route that he nearly took to the house getting past Hagg.  He was quiet in the punt return game due in large part to Henery's booming punts.

DeMarco Murray- 17/68 a 4.0 average with a long of 12.  Murray was best when running the ball to the outside.  It seemed like every time he tried to take it inside he was immediately stuffed.  As a receiver he was 5/60 with a long of 19.  Again, I think Murray translates as a 3rd down back in the NFL.  He isn't going to give you much pounding the rock.  He is dangerous out of the backfield and can be successful on sweeps and draws as a runner.  To me, this makes him a 2nd round pick, at best.

NEBRASKA
    Roy Helu, Jr.- He started strong with a 66 yard TD scamper in the first.  After that he was 10/25 and was a non factor.

Ricky Henry- He missed several blocks today, either missing his man completely or getting to the block late in the run game.  In the pass game, Martinez was under duress the whole second half and Henry was often pushed back into the QB.  I was not impressed with him or the Nebraska OL today.  In fairness though, Martinez held the ball too long, too often as he really struggled finding people open.  He cleared missed Niles Paul.

Jared Crick- He had a really nice game.  He got a sack and several hurries that I saw.  He was often doubled and when he wasn't he usually beat the LG and came through and was disruptive. There was a stretch late in the game when Nebraska was trying to get the ball back down 3 where Crick on three straight plays came up big forcing a punt.

Prince Amukamara- I was a bit disappointed with his play today.  Nebraska had Oklahoma with a 3rd and 24 and Amukamara gave up a 23 yard reception to Cameron Kenney - who doesn't have a future in the NFL.  This enabled OKLA to go for it on 4th down and Kenney again caught a pass against Amukamara.  I think Kenney caught three balls in a row against Prince.  Prince did have a couple of nice hits.  Prince is a solid tackler and is 5th on his team but he doesn't have an interception this year so I'm not so sure why all the hype for this kid.  Yes he is tall, and tough but not particularly fast from what I saw and his coverage skills were lacking in this game.

Alex Henery- I know we don't need a kicker, assuming Gostkowski fully recovers from his injury but this kid is impressive.  Virtually every kick off was a touch back.  He was 2/2 on FG with a long of 53.  His long of the season is 57 and he is 18/19 which is among the best percentages in college football.  Henery is also the punter.  He ranks 24th in the country with a 43.86 average.  I don't have anything that suggests his hang time but he booms his punts.  Broyles had 5 punt returns for just 22 yards with a long of 17 meaning 4 punts were returned an average of 1 yard.  I have no doubt this kid could be the K and P for some team saving them a roster spot.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

[QUOTE]I'd trade the Oakland pick for Drew Bledsoe.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I was very impressed with Jeffery from S Carolina but havent seen too much about him as far as where he would go.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Every player the Patriots picked were mentioned on these Patriots' draft threads. Some even predicted the McCourty pick.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : And how much bandwidth does it take to mention ALL of them?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

What chemicals in the lab reached your brain?