2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

after monday nights game the first thing that came to mind was "damn they would be unstoppable with a pass rush" that being said, i still think we draft a de(jj watt or trade up to land dequan bowers) and a ot(costanzo,solder,or carimi).

with bodden and ty warren coming back i dont see a need to draft a cb early. and only spend one early pick on a de

i think the second round we draft a olb(akeem ayers if available) and a wr ( really like devier posey)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

ne patriots mock draft website has the pats drafting in order

1a kerrigan-de/olb
    1b watt-de
    2a m.floyd-wr
    2b c.bowling-ol

god im doing cartwheel now just thinking of these guys in a pats uniform!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

If that was our draft I would be estatic. Watt will never last that long

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think it's possible for Watt to last later into the 1st round, but not sure if he makes it to where the Pats original pick is. Kerrigan for sure will come off the board in the top 15-18. Scoring Watt and Kerrigan would be something of a miracle, but boy would it make us one nasty defense for years to come. I think we would need to burn some picks to move up and grab 1 or the other, so although not probable, I guess anything is possible. I would rather make the move for Kerrigan than Watt.

Thinking about the way BB trades into future years, I think he continues the trend and continues to add to his trade warchest. I think he will continue to trade forward until he is ready to burn a high pick on TB's replacement someday. Sounds absurb, possibly it is, but I see us moving the Carolina pick and turning it into a 2012 1st rounder, continuing the trend.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This year there might be a run at QBs, there could be 3 or 4 picked in the 1st 20 picks, same goes for those talented CBs, IMO there are 4 that could be picked in the 1st 20 picks..  Looking at the position players, RBs and WRs (no TEs) there could also be 4 to 5, we could see 1 or 2 OTs sneak into the top 20s although i think the run at the top 4 happen between 20 and 34.  Here are the names of those I've listed:
    QBs
    Andrew Luck Jr
    Cam Newton
    Ryan Mallett Jr
    Jake Locker  (least likely but posible depending on workouts)
    CBs
    Patrick Peterson Jr
    Prince Amukamara
    Brandon Harris Jr (my boy jaja)
    Janoris Jenkins Jr (mb's boy)
    RBs
    Mark Ingram Jr
    WRs
    A.J. Green Jr
    Julio Jones Jr
    Justin Blackmon Jr (I personally would like to see him in a Pats uniform)
    Jon Baldwin Jr (least likely but someone could fall inlove with his size 6'5" 225)
    OTs
    Nate Solder
    Anthony Castonzo / Derek Sherrod / Gabe Carimi (1 of the 3)
    D players not built for a 34
    Da'Quan Bowers 43 DE (top 3 pick anyways and I think he could play OLB but won't get a chance to be proved right)
    Adrian Clayborn 43 DE/DT
    Marcell Dareus 43 DT
    Drake Nevis 43 DT

Those are positions I see helping getting on of the big fish falling into the Pats lap although the biggest one Fairley won't he's gone no where close to our pick so who would are the 34 ideal DEs or OLBs who I think we've got a shot at just based on # of picks ahead of us and all the other positions that will be picked, there are 19 players I just listed.  It depends how it falls but I do believe we have a chance at a couple of options.  Assuming we pick at 15 we could see:
    Will be gone:
    Fairley Gone top 10
    Robert Quinn Top 10 ??
    Possibles:
    Akeem Ayers OLB
    Von Miller OLB don't care about his weight, he's a pass rusher who's shown he can drop back and cover.  He's extremely quick, he will add speed.
    Ryan Kerrigan OLB Ah Kerrigan, only to be this lucky
    Cameron Heyward DE

I can see a scenario where these 4 players are left there, if all 4 are this is who I choose (playing BB here):
    None of the 4, I trade down a few spots knowing behind me there are other teams that will pick position players or OTs and chances are one of these 4 are available.  So 15th pick will be traded, jaja all that for a trade.  But seriously I do believe we'll be surpriced to have options at OLB with the 15th or where we end up at. 
    My pick without a trade in order would be Kerrigan, Ayers, Miller, Heyward

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]This year there might be a run at QBs, there could be 3 or 4 picked in the 1st 20 picks, same goes for those talented CBs, IMO there are 4 that could be picked in the 1st 20 picks..  Looking at the position players, RBs and WRs (no TEs) there could also be 4 to 5, we could see 1 or 2 OTs sneak into the top 20s although i think the run at the top 4 happen between 20 and 34.  Here are the names of those I've listed: QBs Andrew Luck Jr Cam Newton Ryan Mallett Jr Jake Locker  (least likely but posible depending on workouts) CBs Patrick Peterson Jr Prince Amukamara Brandon Harris Jr (my boy jaja) Janoris Jenkins Jr (mb's boy) RBs Mark Ingram Jr WRs A.J. Green Jr Julio Jones Jr Justin Blackmon Jr (I personally would like to see him in a Pats uniform) Jon Baldwin Jr (least likely but someone could fall inlove with his size 6'5" 225) OTs Nate Solder Anthony Castonzo / Derek Sherrod / Gabe Carimi (1 of the 3) D players not built for a 34 Da'Quan Bowers 43 DE (top 3 pick anyways and I think he could play OLB but won't get a chance to be proved right) Adrian Clayborn 43 DE/DT Marcell Dareus 43 DT Drake Nevis 43 DT Those are positions I see helping getting on of the big fish falling into the Pats lap although the biggest one Fairley won't he's gone no where close to our pick so who would are the 34 ideal DEs or OLBs who I think we've got a shot at just based on # of picks ahead of us and all the other positions that will be picked, there are 19 players I just listed.  It depends how it falls but I do believe we have a chance at a couple of options.  Assuming we pick at 15 we could see: Will be gone: Fairley Gone top 10 Robert Quinn Top 10 ?? Possibles: Akeem Ayers OLB Von Miller OLB don't care about his weight, he's a pass rusher who's shown he can drop back and cover.  He's extremely quick, he will add speed. Ryan Kerrigan OLB Ah Kerrigan, only to be this lucky Cameron Heyward DE I can see a scenario where these 4 players are left there, if all 4 are this is who I choose (playing BB here): None of the 4, I trade down a few spots knowing behind me there are other teams that will pick position players or OTs and chances are one of these 4 are available.  So 15th pick will be traded, jaja all that for a trade.  But seriously I do believe we'll be surpriced to have options at OLB with the 15th or where we end up at.  My pick without a trade in order would be Kerrigan, Ayers, Miller, Heyward
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

What about Allen Bailey from the U?  Everybody talks about Fairley, Watt, and Quinn, but I think Bailey would be a great fit for the Pats as well.  Kinda reminds me of McGinest in both size and stature.  He could immediately play 25-30 snaps/game in a nickel sub package.  I could even see him stand up and play olb eventually.  With all the rumors that Belichick coveted Julias Peppers last year, you would think a guy like Bailey would peak his interest.  Also, Belichick has a history of drafting Miami guys with 1st round picks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : What about Allen Bailey from the U?  Everybody talks about Fairley, Watt, and Quinn, but I think Bailey would be a great fit for the Pats as well.  Kinda reminds me of McGinest in both size and stature.  He could immediately play 25-30 snaps/game in a nickel sub package.  I could even see him stand up and play olb eventually.  With all the rumors that Belichick coveted Julias Peppers last year, you would think a guy like Bailey would peak his interest.  Also, Belichick has a history of drafting Miami guys with 1st round picks. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

He would need a great offseason workouts to be drafted in the 1st round IMO and even then some coaches watching tape will ask where was all that hard work in that tape.  Very talented but disappears for periods of time.  He is 6'4" 288, not ideal for a DE which is what I consider him to be unlike peppers who would had been a 34 olb.

I don't think Bailey is a target based on his inconsistent play, I would stay away.  I rather have Lawrence Guy at DE or Aldon Smith at OLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]ne patriots mock draft website has the pats drafting in order 1a kerrigan-de/olb 1b watt-de 2a m.floyd-wr 2b c.bowling-ol god im doing cartwheel now just thinking of these guys in a pats uniform!!!
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]
    Too optimistic.  I have Watt, Fairley and Kerrigan all in the top 10 pre Combine, Bowl games and All Star games.  There is no way I can see any of them except possibly Kerrigan making it to the Raider range (12-18).

Boling is not 2nd round material.  Fairley absolutely owned him when they played.  I have Schilling and Moffitt as 2nd round material for OGs.  Pouncey and Hudson are 1st round material OGs.

I also don't think the Pats will spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR, at least not Floyd.  BB has only drafted one WR in the first 2 rounds since he's been with the Pats and we all know how that turned out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

One or several  of the Pats top 4 picks will be very attractive to other teams...depending on the QB's available at that point of the draft, etc...could trade down, get another 2nd rounder this year, and a first next year.

In my opinion, there are only a few players worthy of our Oakland pick, if they are still available...(Watt & Kerrigan) ...if they aren't available I would trade down as the difference between Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward isn't that great. The difference between Von Miller and Jeremy Beal isn't that great. Same can be said of other positions of need. 

If it seems unlikely we will get Watt/Kerrigan in our Oakland slot, I would rather package a couple of picks to get Fairley...I think he would really be one of the missing links for our defense. Maybe Quinn gets into the discussion after the combine and we have had a chance to get to know his character a bit more...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : He would need a great offseason workouts to be drafted in the 1st round IMO and even then some coaches watching tape will ask where was all that hard work in that tape.  Very talented but disappears for periods of time.  He is 6'4" 288, not ideal for a DE which is what I consider him to be unlike peppers who would had been a 34 olb. I don't think Bailey is a target based on his inconsistent play, I would stay away.  I rather have Lawrence Guy at DE or Aldon Smith at OLB.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Peppers is 6'7 283, and I agree Belichick would've tried him at olb.  However, if Peppers didn't adjust to the position, due to his size and lack of experience playing the position,  he still would've been a terror as a down lineman in a nickel sub package.  McGinest was 6'5 270 and was the ideal fit at olb in Belichick's schemes.  Belichick even went out of his way to praise McGinest as such.  Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick fell in love with Bailey's potential.  Would it be a risk investing a top 15 pick on Bailey?  Yes, but it there could also be a huge return as well.  I also think playing with former Miami guys like Wilfork and Merriweather would help him get adjusted to becoming a Patriot type of player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Peppers is 6'7 283, and I agree Belichick would've tried him at olb.  However, if Peppers didn't adjust to the position, due to his size and lack of experience playing the position,  he still would've been a terror as a down lineman in a nickel sub package.  McGinest was 6'5 270 and was the ideal fit at olb in Belichick's schemes.  Belichick even went out of his way to praise McGinest as such.  Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick fell in love with Bailey's potential.  Would it be a risk investing a top 15 pick on Bailey?  Yes, but it there could also be a huge return as well.  I also think playing with former Miami guys like Wilfork and Merriweather would help him get adjusted to becoming a Patriot type of player.

This is only from what I've seen so only my opinion, Bailey's motor and first step are a question. Again only my opinion he's not a Patriot type guy, I wouldn't use Merri as a good example of a Miami player but I'm not really high on Merri either.

Not saying Bailey won't be a good player I just don't see him fitting in as a Patriot.  There are a few other guys I would draft ahead of him, maybe not as gifted but guys who play every down every practice and every game.  He might be better as a tampa 2 43 penetrating DT sort of a Saap type guy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm also of the belief that Allen Bailey will not be a target of BB in this draft.  Rd 1 is where you target the sure thing and IMO, this kid doesn't project well as a 3-4 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He doesn't possess the preferred measurables (atleast 6-5 300) for BB to spend a 1st round pick on him as a DE and I think he's too big up play on the edge with any consistency.  I'm also not sure a comparison to Peppers, who is just an athletic freak, is fair.  Similar weight aside, Bailey is not in Peppers' class in terms of athleticism. 

Further on Bailey, if you remove Wilfork and Brace from the equation, NE DL average 307 pounds, Bailey is listed around 287 which is atleast 7 pounts lighter than their lightest DL (Wright/Richard are both 295 and were URFA & late round picks respectively).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Here's my updated projection loaded with toughness and versatility:\\

1st Round (OAK)- 

Janoris Jenkins (5-11 109 CB) Florida- Shut down capabilities, good speed and quickness, solid in both zone and man, physical, secure tackler, great ball skills and instincts.  Assuming Oakland’s pick is in the mid-1st, I think he could be the best player available.

-Or-

Ryan Kerrigan (6-4 263) OLB/DE Purdue
    – Ideal size with good instincts with ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS.  He’s also shown the ability to set the edge vs. the run and didn’t look out of place when asked to drop into coverage.  He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient.

1st Round- Nate Solder (6-8 300) OT Colorado- Raw IMO, but does possess a good blend of athleticism, strength and toughness.  Scar should be able to turn this kid into a starter on the left or right side.

2nd Round (CAR) - Christian Ballard 6-4 298) DL Iowa- Possesses the size and length that BB covets in his 5-techs.  He’s smart, versatile, and stout at the POA, has the ability to get after the QB and has the Iowa/Ferentz pedigree.  He may get some 1st round consideration.

2nd Round- Mark Herzlich- (6-4 247) LB Boston College- He’s big, tough, versatile, physical, smart and instinctive; the kind of blue-collar type player that you want on your roster.  I think he’d be great addition to the NE LB corp. and was generally considered a top 10 prospect before he got and beat cancer.

3rd Round (MIN)- Ricky Henry (6-3 303) OG  Nebraska- Big, tough, physical, non-stop motor, practices hard and was a state wrestling champ in HS so you know he understands leverage and balance.  He’d provide a big boost in talent to the OG position.

3rd Round- Bilal Powell (6-0 216) RB Louisville- A relative unknown at this point (outside of the BDC draft thread), he possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.  He would bring an upgrade of youth and talent to the NE backfield allowing BJGE to move back to a #2 or #3 back which I think better fits his skill set. 

-Or-

Brooks Reed (6-3 255) OLB/DE Arizona
    - Great first step and quickness off the snap, has the ability to set the edge,  shows the ability to be disruptive and pressure the pocket from the outside, good awareness and ability to re-direct and plays the game like a man on fire.   He should draw comparisons to Clay Mathews in appearance, motor/aggression and PAC-10 pedigree.

4th Round (DEN) - Owen Marecic (6-0 243) FB Stanford- He's one of my favorite players in this class, a true throwback that starts on both sides of the ball at Stanford.  Smart, rugged, versatile player that could contribute in a number of ways, which is just the kind of player BB has won championships with.  I saw him score on back to back plays against ND.  First on a FB dive, went back onto the field for the next defensive series and pick of the first pass, returning it for a TD.

5th Round- Jake Kirkpatrick (6-3 305) C TCU- He won the 2010 Rimington award given the the nation’s best center.  He was also a finalist for the Lombardi Award which is given to the nation’s top lineman.  He’s the leader of the Horned Frog OL and makes all of the pre-snap calls. 

6th Round (NO)- Jeremy Kerley (5-10 189) WR TCU- A 2010 finalist for the Paul Hornung Award given to the most versatile player in the nation.  He has the combo of fluidity, agility, quickness and speed that BB looks for in his WR’s.  He also shows solid hands, good RAC ability and would be a weapon in the return game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not a bad line up MB.

I really like Kerrigan, he's just really grown on me and has given me the impression of a OLB version of Mayo. Good instincts but with a high football IQ and never really seems to be out of position.

I like Solder and I think he has a ton of potential. Since we should have a very late 1st taking him either with Car's or ours doesn't matter but imo getting Kerrigan, Solder, and Wisniewski (future Koppen replacement) would leave the league shaking their heads wondering WTH just happen?

Haven't followed Ballard but I'll start keeping me eye on him.

As for RB's Powell is interesting but I'm starting to really like Daniel Thomas. He's a huge power back that imo would better compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Thomas would be the short yard/FB back to replace Morris.

Another couple names to keep your eye on are:

Jaron Johnson SS He's a very high IQ football play that takes good angles and is rarely out of position

Joseph Barksdale OT He has more upside then Solder but never fully lived up to it. He has trouble finishing blocks but he's a 1st round talent that could be found late 2nd early 3rd that with the right motivation could develop into a pro-bowl T

DeVier Posey not the biggest player but at 6'2" has great cutting ability and some good speed that only appears on tape. He is one of the strongest route runners in the draft with soft hands. Depending on how they feel Price and Tate are developing Posey might be good to take a shot at with the new but old heavy route running based O.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just thowing this out here to help our discussion.  This assumes Light and Mankins return.  I won't get into the reasons why I think this happens here, it would take too long.  These are my grade just based on my impressions.  An "A" is a Pro Bowler caliber player, "B" is better than average, "C" is average compared to his peers.

2011 Patriots
    OFFENSE 21 Players
    Slot30 Welker '11 A25 Edelman '12 C- 
    WR32 Branch '11 B26 Slater '11 C- 
    LOT33 Light '13 C+29 LeVoir '11  D+ 
    LG30 Mankins '15 A  
    C31 Koppen '11 B-25 Wendell '10 C- 
    ROG29 Connolly '11 B-  
    RT27 Vollmer '12 B+32 Kaczur '12 C- 
    TE21 Hernandez B+22 Gronkowski B+33 Crumpler A-
    QB34 Brady '14 A+25 Hoyer '11 C+ 
    RB26 Green-Ellis '10 B+  
    26 Woodhead '12 B+  
    WR23 B Tate '12 D23 Price '13 UNK 

DEFENSE 22 Players
    DE 30 T Warren '13 B-29 Wright '12 C 
    NT29 Wilfork '14 A24 Brace '12 C- 
    DE24 Deaderick '13 C-25 Pryor '12 C- 
    OLB23 Cunningham C31 Banta-Cain C 
    ILB25 Mayo '12 A 30 White '11 B+
    ILB24 B Spikes '13 B25 Guyton '11 C+ 
    OLB27 Ninkovich '11 C-25 Fletcher '12 C- 
    LCB24 McCourty '14 A-27 Wilhite '11 C- 
    RCB30 Bodden '13 B+25 Arrington '10 C25 Butler '12 D-
    SS24 Chung '12 B  
    FS27 Meriweather B27 Sanders '11 B- 

SPECIAL TEAMS 2
    PK27 Gostkowski A-  
    P25 Z. Mesko B  
    LS   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

MB-

Nice Mock.  If NE were to miss on Kerrigan in the first, Brooks Reed could be a great mid-round pick-up.  I've seen this guy play quite a bit, and he is pretty impressive to watch.  Like you said, great 1st step and very disruptive.  Kerrigan would obviously be more of a sure thing, but by the time its all sudden done, he may go top 10.  Keep up the good work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]I'm also of the belief that Allen Bailey will not be a target of BB in this draft.  Rd 1 is where you target the sure thing and IMO, this kid doesn't project well as a 3-4 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He doesn't possess the preferred measurables (atleast 6-5 300) for BB to spend a 1st round pick on him as a DE and I think he's too big up play on the edge with any consistency.  I'm also not sure a comparison to Peppers, who is just an athletic freak, is fair.  Similar weight aside, Bailey is not in Peppers' class in terms of athleticism.  Further on Bailey, if you remove Wilfork and Brace from the equation, NE DL average 307 pounds, Bailey is listed around 287 which is atleast 7 pounts lighter than their lightest DL (Wright/Richard are both 295 and were URFA & late round picks respectively).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Let's revisit the issue of whether Bailey is an athletic freak in February at the combine.  I've read that he runs a 4.6.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

a guy who might be good at OLB whom a lot of us have overlooked so far would be Justin Houston OLB/DE from Gerogia. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2758 "Through nine games as a junior, Houston has a whopping 15.5 tackles for loss (10 more than any other player on the team) and nine sacks (6.5 more than any other Bulldog). He also has a ridiculous 35 quarterback hurries (23 more than any of his teammates). For good measure, Houston has added a forced fumble and a fumble recovery."  Houston already being in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia, he could make an easy transition to the NFL. He is a sack artist who has shown decent coverage skills at times. If he starts to shed blocks better, he is a dangerous dangerous weapon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1a. JJ Watts, DE/DT (Wisconsin)

1b. Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7 wt: 325

2a. Nate Solder OT (Colorado) 6-9, 305, 4.84 or Lee ziemba OT (Auburn) 6'8" 308

2b. Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois) 

3a. Justin Houston OLB/DE (Gerogia) or Robert Sands S, (WVU) 6-5

3b. Chimdi Chekwa, CB (Ohio State), 6-0, 190, 4.42

4. Owen Marecic, FB (Stanford)

5. Colin Kaepernick QB (Nevada) Ht: 6-6 wt: 225

6. Ugo Chinasa, OLB (Oklahoma State) or Chris Bell WR (Norfolk state)

6-7? (Compensatory) Allen Bradford, RB, USC

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]MB- Nice Mock.  If NE were to miss on Kerrigan in the first, Brooks Reed could be a great mid-round pick-up.  I've seen this guy play quite a bit, and he is pretty impressive to watch.  Like you said, great 1st step and very disruptive.  Kerrigan would obviously be more of a sure thing, but by the time its all sudden done, he may go top 10.  Keep up the good work.
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

W-wf,
    Thanks, man.  Yes, Reed caught my eye when I was watching Arizona vs. Stanford with the goal of checking out DE Ricky Elmore, however Reed soon caught my attention and I watched the rest of his defensive snaps.  The kid brings it on every down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Not a bad line up MB. I really like Kerrigan, he's just really grown on me and has given me the impression of a OLB version of Mayo. Good instincts but with a high football IQ and never really seems to be out of position. I like Solder and I think he has a ton of potential. Since we should have a very late 1st taking him either with Car's or ours doesn't matter but imo getting Kerrigan, Solder, and Wisniewski (future Koppen replacement) would leave the league shaking their heads wondering WTH just happen? Haven't followed Ballard but I'll start keeping me eye on him. As for RB's Powell is interesting but I'm starting to really like Daniel Thomas. He's a huge power back that imo would better compliment BJGE and Woodhead. Thomas would be the short yard/FB back to replace Morris. Another couple names to keep your eye on are: Jaron Johnson SS He's a very high IQ football play that takes good angles and is rarely out of position Joseph Barksdale OT He has more upside then Solder but never fully lived up to it. He has trouble finishing blocks but he's a 1st round talent that could be found late 2nd early 3rd that with the right motivation could develop into a pro-bowl T DeVier Posey not the biggest player but at 6'2" has great cutting ability and some good speed that only appears on tape. He is one of the strongest route runners in the draft with soft hands. Depending on how they feel Price and Tate are developing Posey might be good to take a shot at with the new but old heavy route running based O.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    Thanks, man.

Agreed on Kerrigan, I'd put football IQ, and the ability to understand an execute your assignment right up their with athleticism.  I'd almost go as far to say, I'd prefer the smart, technically sound player that is always in correct position and is an OK athlete to an elite athlete that is more prone to freelance, try and get by on athleticism alone.

I'm gonna give Jeron Johnson a look during BSU's bowl game, I love guys that prepare, understand their assignments and can execute.  As for Barksdale, the fact that he doesn't finish blocks as you say, would be enough for me to remove him from my list.  Personally, I think BB is looking for players that will play to and beyond the whistle; finishers.  Unless of course they're looking to burn and upside pick one someone in rd 6 or 7 which ironically is where Barksdale is projected to go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Let's revisit the issue of whether Bailey is an athletic freak in February at the combine.  I've read that he runs a 4.6.

I've read that too, where a couple of people have thrown that out there on other threads, though I haven't seen a reputable draft publication that can substantiate that number.  I've seen him in the high 4.7 to 4.9 range.

I'd be more curious to see what his 10 yard split, 3-cone and short shuttle times are as I think those are more relevant to projecting his success than a 40 time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm of the mind that you should expect your 1st and 2nd round picks to become starters or major contributors by their 2nd year.  This is especially true of 1st round picks.  If you look back at all of BBs picks in the top 2 rounds you will see that he drafted a player that he expected to start that year or to groom for one year knowing the player to be replaced was soon retiring or moving on.  Below are the examples I found.  My memory fades the further back I went.

2001:
    1) Richard Seymour
    2) Matt Light

2002:
    1) Daniel Graham - Wiggins and Rutlidge left after the 2001 season
    2) Deion Branch

2003:
    1) Ty Warren - Bobby Hamilton's last year
    2a) Eugene Wilson
    2b) Bethel Johnson

2004:
    1a) Vince Wilfork - Ted Washington left after the 2003 season
    1b) Ben Watson - Replaced Fred Baxter
    2) Marquis Hill

2005:
    1) Logan Mankins - Andruzzi and Hochstein left after the 2005 season.

2006:
    1) Laurence Maroney - Corey Dillion retired after the 2005 season
    2) Chad Jackson - Givens, Patton and Branch all left after the '05 season.  This was the year Reche Caldwell was our best WR

2007:
    1) Brandon Meriweather - '07 was Rodney Harrison's last season
    this was the year we traded our 2nd for Welker and 4th for Moss

2008:
    1) Jarod Mayo - Bruschi retires after the '09 season and was a mentor to Mayo.  Seau was coming and going. 
    2) Wheatley - Asante Samuel left after the '07 season.  We also drafted Wilhite hoping one of them would emerge.

2009:
    2a) Patrick Chung - team was thin at S having only Ventrone, Sanders and Meriweather.  Team was still looking for the next Rodney Harrison
    2b) Ron Brace - Vince Wilfork was threatening a hold out at the time of the draft so Brace was an insurance policy
    2c) Darius Butler - Wheatley wasn't the answer to losing Samuel so Butler was drafted high.  The team also brought in Leigh Bodden this year
    2d) Sebastian Vollmer - Team was thin at OT having just Light and Kaczur, Britt left after the 2008 season.

2010:
    1) Devin McCourty - having unsuccessfully spent a pair of 2nds and a 4th trying to replace Samuel, the team went with McCourty in the first round.
    2a) Gronkowski - The team wiped out all their TEs from their 2009 roster and started over at the position bringing in Crumpler and drafted Hernandez in the 4the round
    2c) Jermaine Cunningham - Adalius Thomas was shown the door prior to the season and every knew it was coming. 
    2d) Brandon Spikes - Although 1st year player Guyton did okay, but a better run stopper was needed.

Again my point is I can't find an example where a 1st or 2nd round pick was taken where it was expected they would sit for more than 1 year.  In most cases they see immediate playing time.  Certainly not all these picks were hits, but they were intended to make immediate or near immediate contributions.  This is why I don't think we'll take a CB in the first round with Bodden coming back.  You don't draft nickel players in the first round, you draft players that will start and play 3 downs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking DL with the first pick but Ty Warren will be coming back and then you have Vince and G. Warren.  A nice starting group.  I wonder if the DL would be the pick?  RB and possibly two would be on my menu. On the OL front we are short on tackle and I wonder if it's time to find a replacement for Koppen.  For OLB Von Miller of Texas A&M and Jeremy Beal of Oklahoma.  The DEs of this class seem to be more of the traditional 4/3 DE.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Ty Warren may not make the team next year or maybe traded. Gerard is more dominant and makes more plays.