2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

Rocky,

Thanks for updating us on those who declared.  This is awesome!!  Can I ask where did you get this information?  I can't find a single source.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]Heyward is 6'5" 288 lbs how is that too small? sure he could put on a little weight but undersized i think not.  He definiately has the frame to get bigger.  Watt is still my guy!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]
    I think of 6-4, 300 as the gold standard for a 34 DE.  In sub packages, he'd be perfect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Heyward looked good, brushed off two players and made a takle in the backfield last night...kid looked good... His Dad was a beast, IRONHEAD. Passed away few years ago... Not sure of the kids mental makeup...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]
    He's a great kid from everything I've heard.  Really solid character, great teammate, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Bozo, I don't know about trading Meriweather.  He keeps making Pro Bowls, how, I don't know.  I think nothing will happen until after a new CBA is reached.  The Pats will then start talking to their 2010 and 2011 free agents.  A new CBA needs to be reached before the start of free agency or there will be so much uncertainty, it will be tough for deals to get done.  Sure, the top players will get new contracts but guys like Meriweather whose deal doesn't expire until after 2011 will have to wait.  He is going to want big money and quite frankly, I don't think he's worth it.  So, moving him before the draft would make a ton of sense.  I'd take nothing less than a solid 2nd for him.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]Thats what I was thinking also,it's not a coincidence that BB has a plethora of Safeties on his potential roster for 2011. I only mention Merriweather as possible trade bait because BB's proclivity for making trades that most of us don't understand the reason for, trading a guy or just letting him go...I'm also trying to offer other thoughts into the draft thoughts of everyone else so that they don't become stagnant on any one position when thinking along with BB. Also if they trade Merriweather that opens a spot for Page if he wants to return and also a spot for Barrett next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Heyward is 6'5" 288 lbs how is that too small? sure he could put on a little weight but undersized i think not.  He definiately has the frame to get bigger.  Watt is still my guy!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]
    Not sure if anyone posted this before.  Here's a clip of JJ Watt against Ohio State.  Pryor did a great job getting away from him several times but you can see how disruptive Watt can be.  The clip shows him lined up inside and outside and right to left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNTwvuZ3jMs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : He's a great kid from everything I've heard.  Really solid character, great teammate, etc.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

It could be the battle to draft a Cameron with NFL bloodlines as Cameron Jordan's father is Steve Jordan who was a 6 time, pro-bowl TE in the 80's and 90's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Picks so far, assuming NE wins SB.  I keep mocking 32 and 33 but I don't think there's any chance both of those or either really get used by NE.  #32 is last of the 1st day and if there's a team or two who think a player that should had been picked but still there could send a trade.  Example Denver Broncos, they have 2 2nd rounders the 1st of the two is #35.  They can get #32 and send 36 and another pick either in 2012 or 2012. 

Think #33 is the same, some team will want that first pick of the second day.

1st
    17 (Oak)
    2nd
    33 (Car)
    3rd
    74 (Min)
    4th
    5th
    6th
    187 (NO)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Can we stop with the whole "frame" argument please.

What I mean is the assumption of the frame necessary for weight gain.

Yes we would like to assume a kid 6'4 or 6'5 would be able to put on another 10-15 lbs.

The fact however, is that unless we've seen the kid in boxers we don't know exactly what kind of frame he has or if his frame looks ready and capable to support more bulk naturally or not.

The other reason we often say a guy is smaller than what the Patriots like is because those measurables are typically already exagerrated to begin with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

By Wes Morgan
    ESPNChicago.com
    Archive

Kyle Rudolph must have been pleased with his NFL draft evaluation. The Notre Dame junior, who is likely to be the first tight end selected in April, will forgo his final season in South Bend, Ind.

The Cincinnati product's career with the Fighting Irish ended with 90 receptions for 1,032 yards and eight touchdowns. The 6-foot-6, 265-pounder started three games as a freshman, but shoulder and hamstring injuries kept him shelved for nine games the following two seasons, including the final seven this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Picks so far, assuming NE wins SB.  I keep mocking 32 and 33 but I don't think there's any chance both of those or either really get used by NE.  #32 is last of the 1st day and if there's a team or two who think a player that should had been picked but still there could send a trade.  Example Denver Broncos, they have 2 2nd rounders the 1st of the two is #35.  They can get #32 and send 36 and another pick either in 2012 or 2012.  Think #33 is the same, some team will want that first pick of the second day. 1st 17 (Oak) 32 2nd 33 (Car) 64 3rd 74 (Min) 96 4th 128 5th 160 6th 187 (NO)
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    Where are you getting the 5th round pick from, Watson?  We gave up our own I think for Page.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

this has probably been brought up on here before but has anyone seen the PhilTaylor kid from Baylor play?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

No surprise...

Clemson's Bowers to declare for draft

January, 5, 2011
    Jan 5
    5:25
    PM ET
    Clemson unanimous All-America defensive end Da’Quan Bowers will forgo his senior season and enter the 2011 NFL draft, the school announced on Wednesday.

From Clemson's release:

“I want to thank everyone at Clemson for all they have done for me the last three years," Bowers said in a prepared statement. "I want to especially thank Coach (Dabo) Swinney and his staff for helping me develop on the field, and mature as a person.

“You hear people talk about the Clemson family, and when my father passed this past summer, I saw that first hand. There is a great support system at Clemson. The coaches and players were all there for me and I will never forget that.

“I also want to thank my teammates for all the support the last three years. I would not have received these honors this year without them. I made lifelong friends at Clemson. I feel I am ready to go to the next level and I look forward to working hard in preparation for the draft.”

Bowers had a breakout 2010 season when he led the nation in sacks with 15.5 and ranked second in tackles for loss with 26. The sack total is the second most in Clemson history and the tackle for loss total is one off the school record for a defensive lineman. He broke Gaines Adams record for sacks in a season by a Clemson defensive lineman.

Bowers had 74 tackles overall, second best on the team, and led the team in quarterback pressures with 20. He had a streak of nine straight games in which he was involved in a sack, also a Clemson record.

Bowers was the most decorated player in Clemson history this year. He won the Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in college football as selected by the Football Writers Association, and the Ted Hendricks Award as the top defensive end in college football. He was also a finalist for the Lombardi Award and the Bednarik Award. He is the first player in Clemson history to win either of those national awards and was just the second Clemson player to be a finalist for the Lombardi Award.

Bowers was also a unanimous All-American and was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year. He is just the fourth unanimous first-team All-American in Clemson history.

“Da’Quan and I talked about this decision at length,” said coach Dabo Swinney. “We obviously would love to have him return for his senior year, but we certainly understand the decision. Most see him as a top five selection in the NFL draft.

“He has grown as a person this past year and he showed everyone his capabilities on the field. We challenged him to become a dominant defensive player and he was just that.”

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I like it!!

Andrew Perloff> INSIDE THE NFLWith bowl games left to play, underclassmen yet to declare, coaches to hire, a collective bargaining agreement to figure out, Senior Bowl week and the scouting combine, 2011 NFL Draft prospects will move a lot over the next four months. But we already have a good idea of what the non-playoff teams need, so why not stir up some speculation with an early mock draft. Now if only Andrew Luck would make a decision so we can figure out the top ... (*Denotes underclassmen)

1. Panthers -- Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford

Luck's decision to stay at Stanford or go pro will have a huge impact on the top of the draft. He had to notice Pac-10 colleague Jake Locker's draft stock fall steadily since last season and knows his could too if he stays in college. Luck's obviously the clear-cut choice for No. 1 if he does join the NFL.

2. Broncos -- Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson

With Elvis Dumervil hurt, the Broncos ranked last in the NFL in sacks. Even if Dumervil comes back at full strength, Denver needs defensive playmakers. Bowers led the nation with 15.5 sacks and was second in tackles for a loss (26).

3. Bills -- Blaine Gabbert*, QB, Missouri

NFL teams have a lot to find out about Gabbert in the coming months. Can he make the adjustment from the wide-open spread offense at Missouri to the pro style?

4. Bengals -- Nick Fairley*, DT, Auburn

Fairley could cement his top-five status with a big performance in the national title game against Oregon's high-powered offense. The Bengals need an explosive player up front, and would hope Fairley could duplicate the kind of impact Ndamukong Suh had on the Lions.

5. Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson* CB, LSU

Peterson needs to improve his cover skills, but his size, athleticism and return skills make him more attractive than Prince Amukamara. The Cardinals will look hard at a quarterback here as well. But they have a lot of needs and will go with the best available player.

6. Browns -- Marcell Dareus*, DT, Alabama

The Browns' run defense fell apart at the end of last season. A solid defensive lineman like Dareus would be a safe pick in this spot.

7. 49ers -- Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas

Mallett has been criticized by draft experts of late. He supposedly has character questions, doesn't show up in the big moment, isn't a leader ... but how can you ignore that arm? He throws the ball better than Luck, and he resembles Ken Whisenhunt's former QB Ben Roethlisberger in how difficult it is for defenses to bring him down. Mallett has to really impress teams during his interviews to sneak up this high on the board.

8. Titans -- A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia

Owner Bud Adams is going to want to make quarterback Vince Young look good. He signed Randy Moss, so you know he's interested in pairing another game-breaking receiver with Kenny Britt.

9. Cowboys -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

The Cowboys would love an offensive lineman, but this draft seems light at the top at this position. If no one emerges at that position, they'll bolster their defensive backfield. Amukamara didn't have any interceptions this season, but no one threw at him.

10. Redskins -- Cam Newton*, QB, Auburn

Mike Shanahan loves mobile quarterbacks, like John Elway, Jake Plummer and Donovan McNabb. He also loves QBs with big arms like Elway, McNabb and Jay Cutler. Newton is both. And we think Daniel Snyder can get over the character questions. The big question about Newton is how he'll fare away from a spread offense. If Tim Tebow can go in the first round, Newton will too.

11. Texans -- Akeem Ayers*, DE, UCLA

Houston's secondary desperately needs help, but if the Texans hire Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator and go to a 3-4 scheme, they will need help outside. Ayers is going to be very productive right off the bat and could also fit in a 4-3 scheme if necessary.

12. Vikings -- Janoris Jenkins*, CB, Florida

Jenkins is recovering from a shoulder injury. If he's fully healthy in time to work out, he could rise up the boards this spring and possibly challenge the top two CBs in the draft, Peterson and Amukamara.

13. Lions -- Tyron Smith*, OT, USC

Offensive linemen always start moving up the board rapidly in the weeks before the draft. Expect Smith to garner a lot of attention in the coming weeks. If he gets by the Cowboys at No. 9, the Lions will jump on the big Trojan.

14. Rams -- Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State

The Rams showed down the stretch that they plan to have Sam Bradford throwing the ball a lot. Now they need to give him a big No. 1 receiver who can come down with a jump ball over a smaller cornerback.

15. Dolphins -- Mark Ingram*, RB, Alabama

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams both could be gone, and the Dolphins need to focus on the offense. It's a stretch to take any running back this high considering how well late-round backs have been doing of late, but Miami needs to fill this position with a quality player.

16. Jaguars -- Robert Quinn*, DE, North Carolina

Quinn was one of the Tar Heels suspended for taking improper benefits from an agent. But that will be overlooked if teams believe he can get to the quarterback as much as he did when he was eligible.

17. Patriots (from Oakland) -- J.J. Watt*, DT, Wisconsin

He has the size to be an impact lineman in a 3-4 defense and seems to have the character marks the Patriots covet. He wasn't highly recruited and became a star because of hard work. Of course, New England is never easy to peg in a mock draft.

18. Chargers -- Julio Jones*, WR, Alabama

What do you add to a team that had the top-ranked offense and defense ... but didn't make the playoffs? The Chargers' defensive numbers were a bit skewed because their special teams let the opponent score so much, so they could go with a pass rusher like Vonn Miller. But they might take another opportunity to tick off Vincent Jackson.

19. Giants -- Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

The Pac-10 defensive player of the year would be a good value here. Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield is a free agent who has had injury problems.

20. Buccaneers -- Aldon Smith*, DE, Missouri

Smith missed most of last season with a broken leg, but had 11.5 sacks the season before. The Bucs didn't have any players who reached five sacks last season and have to find a way to get after quarterbacks like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Where are you getting the 5th round pick from, Watson?  We gave up our own I think for Page.

No assigned, everywhere I've looked it lists Pats assigned 5th round.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html 

1st Round – #17 (OAK – www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html#" class="GVAdLink">Richard Seymour)
    1st Round – #32*
    2nd Round – #33 (CAR – 2010 3rd Round)
    2nd Round – #64*
    3rd Round – #74 (www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/10/patriots-trade-randy-moss-to-minnesota.html">MIN – Randy Moss)
    3rd Round – #96*
    4th Round
    5th Round
    6th Round (NO – David Thomas)

Picks traded away:

4th Round (SEA – Deion Branch) (via DEN (Maroney) if higher than NE pick)
    6th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney)
    7th Round (ATL – Quinn Ojinnaka)
    Conditional Draft Pick – Round Unknown (KC – Jarrad Page)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I like it!! Andrew Perloff /> INSIDE THE NFLWith bowl games left to play, underclassmen yet to declare, coaches to hire, a collective bargaining agreement to figure out, Senior Bowl week and the scouting combine, 2011 NFL Draft prospects will move a lot over the next four months. But we already have a good idea of what the non-playoff teams need, so why not stir up some speculation with an early mock draft. Now if only Andrew Luck would make a decision so we can figure out the top ... (*Denotes underclassmen) 1. Panthers -- Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford Luck's decision to stay at Stanford or go pro will have a huge impact on the top of the draft. He had to notice Pac-10 colleague Jake Locker's draft stock fall steadily since last season and knows his could too if he stays in college. Luck's obviously the clear-cut choice for No. 1 if he does join the NFL. 2. Broncos -- Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson With Elvis Dumervil hurt, the Broncos ranked last in the NFL in sacks. Even if Dumervil comes back at full strength, Denver needs defensive playmakers. Bowers led the nation with 15.5 sacks and was second in tackles for a loss (26). 3. Bills -- Blaine Gabbert*, QB, Missouri NFL teams have a lot to find out about Gabbert in the coming months. Can he make the adjustment from the wide-open spread offense at Missouri to the pro style? 4. Bengals -- Nick Fairley*, DT, Auburn Fairley could cement his top-five status with a big performance in the national title game against Oregon's high-powered offense. The Bengals need an explosive player up front, and would hope Fairley could duplicate the kind of impact Ndamukong Suh had on the Lions. 5. Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson* CB, LSU Peterson needs to improve his cover skills, but his size, athleticism and return skills make him more attractive than Prince Amukamara. The Cardinals will look hard at a quarterback here as well. But they have a lot of needs and will go with the best available player. 6. Browns -- Marcell Dareus*, DT, Alabama The Browns' run defense fell apart at the end of last season. A solid defensive lineman like Dareus would be a safe pick in this spot. 7. 49ers -- Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas Mallett has been criticized by draft experts of late. He supposedly has character questions, doesn't show up in the big moment, isn't a leader ... but how can you ignore that arm? He throws the ball better than Luck, and he resembles Ken Whisenhunt's former QB Ben Roethlisberger in how difficult it is for defenses to bring him down. Mallett has to really impress teams during his interviews to sneak up this high on the board. 8. Titans -- A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia Owner Bud Adams is going to want to make quarterback Vince Young look good. He signed Randy Moss, so you know he's interested in pairing another game-breaking receiver with Kenny Britt. 9. Cowboys -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska The Cowboys would love an offensive lineman, but this draft seems light at the top at this position. If no one emerges at that position, they'll bolster their defensive backfield. Amukamara didn't have any interceptions this season, but no one threw at him. 10. Redskins -- Cam Newton*, QB, Auburn Mike Shanahan loves mobile quarterbacks, like John Elway, Jake Plummer and Donovan McNabb. He also loves QBs with big arms like Elway, McNabb and Jay Cutler. Newton is both. And we think Daniel Snyder can get over the character questions. The big question about Newton is how he'll fare away from a spread offense. If Tim Tebow can go in the first round, Newton will too. 11. Texans -- Akeem Ayers*, DE, UCLA Houston's secondary desperately needs help, but if the Texans hire Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator and go to a 3-4 scheme, they will need help outside. Ayers is going to be very productive right off the bat and could also fit in a 4-3 scheme if necessary. 12. Vikings -- Janoris Jenkins*, CB, Florida Jenkins is recovering from a shoulder injury. If he's fully healthy in time to work out, he could rise up the boards this spring and possibly challenge the top two CBs in the draft, Peterson and Amukamara. 13. Lions -- Tyron Smith*, OT, USC Offensive linemen always start moving up the board rapidly in the weeks before the draft. Expect Smith to garner a lot of attention in the coming weeks. If he gets by the Cowboys at No. 9, the Lions will jump on the big Trojan. 14. Rams -- Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State The Rams showed down the stretch that they plan to have Sam Bradford throwing the ball a lot. Now they need to give him a big No. 1 receiver who can come down with a jump ball over a smaller cornerback. 15. Dolphins -- Mark Ingram*, RB, Alabama Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams both could be gone, and the Dolphins need to focus on the offense. It's a stretch to take any running back this high considering how well late-round backs have been doing of late, but Miami needs to fill this position with a quality player. 16. Jaguars -- Robert Quinn*, DE, North Carolina Quinn was one of the Tar Heels suspended for taking improper benefits from an agent. But that will be overlooked if teams believe he can get to the quarterback as much as he did when he was eligible. 17. Patriots (from Oakland) -- J.J. Watt*, DT, Wisconsin He has the size to be an impact lineman in a 3-4 defense and seems to have the character marks the Patriots covet. He wasn't highly recruited and became a star because of hard work. Of course, New England is never easy to peg in a mock draft. 18. Chargers -- Julio Jones*, WR, Alabama What do you add to a team that had the top-ranked offense and defense ... but didn't make the playoffs? The Chargers' defensive numbers were a bit skewed because their special teams let the opponent score so much, so they could go with a pass rusher like Vonn Miller. But they might take another opportunity to tick off Vincent Jackson. 19. Giants -- Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State The Pac-10 defensive player of the year would be a good value here. Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield is a free agent who has had injury problems. 20. Buccaneers -- Aldon Smith*, DE, Missouri Smith missed most of last season with a broken leg, but had 11.5 sacks the season before. The Bucs didn't have any players who reached five sacks last season and have to find a way to get after quarterbacks like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees.

Faucet I like it except for #20, come on you know I want Smith with the 32nd pick can't give him to the Bucs even if it makes all the sense in the world but still! lol  Like the Watt pick, man if only Ayers falls to 17.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Wishin and Hopin?

Faucetman:

You and JJ are lost with Pats.  After yesterdays great performance by Cameron "Son of Ironhead" Heywood of OSU v the Hogs and Cameron Jordan's experience in a 3-4 and increasing prominence in draft boards (see MB eariler comment) and this url  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-2011-carolina-panthers-andrew-luck-top-pick-010311

I think JJ goes below us, likely to homeboy Packers.  I did not like his cryin time utube, either, and I don't think BB would be impressed by it or JJ's lackin and slackin performance vs Texas Christian in the big bowl game.  Thoughts, anyone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

TCU gameplanned  to counter his disruptive pressuring of the QB by doubleing him almost every play.  He is still an excellent 3-4DE who would fit in with our team very well.    I think his draft stock went down a little however after the combine i have a feeling it will go back up.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Wishin and Hopin? Faucetman: You and JJ are lost with Pats.  After yesterdays great performance by Cameron "Son of Ironhead" Heywood of OSU v the Hogs and Cameron Jordan's experience in a 3-4 and increasing prominence in draft boards (see MB eariler comment) and this url  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-2011-carolina-panthers-andrew-luck-top-pick-010311 I think JJ goes below us, likely to homeboy Packers.  I did not like his cryin time utube, either, and I don't think BB would be impressed by it or JJ's lackin and slackin performance vs Texas Christian in the big bowl game.  Thoughts, anyone?
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

where are the other 12 picks in the first round?

[QUOTE]I like it!! Andrew Perloff /> INSIDE THE NFLWith bowl games left to play, underclassmen yet to declare, coaches to hire, a collective bargaining agreement to figure out, Senior Bowl week and the scouting combine, 2011 NFL Draft prospects will move a lot over the next four months. But we already have a good idea of what the non-playoff teams need, so why not stir up some speculation with an early mock draft. Now if only Andrew Luck would make a decision so we can figure out the top ... (*Denotes underclassmen) 1. Panthers -- Andrew Luck*, QB, Stanford Luck's decision to stay at Stanford or go pro will have a huge impact on the top of the draft. He had to notice Pac-10 colleague Jake Locker's draft stock fall steadily since last season and knows his could too if he stays in college. Luck's obviously the clear-cut choice for No. 1 if he does join the NFL. 2. Broncos -- Da'Quan Bowers*, DE, Clemson With Elvis Dumervil hurt, the Broncos ranked last in the NFL in sacks. Even if Dumervil comes back at full strength, Denver needs defensive playmakers. Bowers led the nation with 15.5 sacks and was second in tackles for a loss (26). 3. Bills -- Blaine Gabbert*, QB, Missouri NFL teams have a lot to find out about Gabbert in the coming months. Can he make the adjustment from the wide-open spread offense at Missouri to the pro style? 4. Bengals -- Nick Fairley*, DT, Auburn Fairley could cement his top-five status with a big performance in the national title game against Oregon's high-powered offense. The Bengals need an explosive player up front, and would hope Fairley could duplicate the kind of impact Ndamukong Suh had on the Lions. 5. Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson* CB, LSU Peterson needs to improve his cover skills, but his size, athleticism and return skills make him more attractive than Prince Amukamara. The Cardinals will look hard at a quarterback here as well. But they have a lot of needs and will go with the best available player. 6. Browns -- Marcell Dareus*, DT, Alabama The Browns' run defense fell apart at the end of last season. A solid defensive lineman like Dareus would be a safe pick in this spot. 7. 49ers -- Ryan Mallett*, QB, Arkansas Mallett has been criticized by draft experts of late. He supposedly has character questions, doesn't show up in the big moment, isn't a leader ... but how can you ignore that arm? He throws the ball better than Luck, and he resembles Ken Whisenhunt's former QB Ben Roethlisberger in how difficult it is for defenses to bring him down. Mallett has to really impress teams during his interviews to sneak up this high on the board. 8. Titans -- A.J. Green*, WR, Georgia Owner Bud Adams is going to want to make quarterback Vince Young look good. He signed Randy Moss, so you know he's interested in pairing another game-breaking receiver with Kenny Britt. 9. Cowboys -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska The Cowboys would love an offensive lineman, but this draft seems light at the top at this position. If no one emerges at that position, they'll bolster their defensive backfield. Amukamara didn't have any interceptions this season, but no one threw at him. 10. Redskins -- Cam Newton*, QB, Auburn Mike Shanahan loves mobile quarterbacks, like John Elway, Jake Plummer and Donovan McNabb. He also loves QBs with big arms like Elway, McNabb and Jay Cutler. Newton is both. And we think Daniel Snyder can get over the character questions. The big question about Newton is how he'll fare away from a spread offense. If Tim Tebow can go in the first round, Newton will too. 11. Texans -- Akeem Ayers*, DE, UCLA Houston's secondary desperately needs help, but if the Texans hire Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator and go to a 3-4 scheme, they will need help outside. Ayers is going to be very productive right off the bat and could also fit in a 4-3 scheme if necessary. 12. Vikings -- Janoris Jenkins*, CB, Florida Jenkins is recovering from a shoulder injury. If he's fully healthy in time to work out, he could rise up the boards this spring and possibly challenge the top two CBs in the draft, Peterson and Amukamara. 13. Lions -- Tyron Smith*, OT, USC Offensive linemen always start moving up the board rapidly in the weeks before the draft. Expect Smith to garner a lot of attention in the coming weeks. If he gets by the Cowboys at No. 9, the Lions will jump on the big Trojan. 14. Rams -- Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State The Rams showed down the stretch that they plan to have Sam Bradford throwing the ball a lot. Now they need to give him a big No. 1 receiver who can come down with a jump ball over a smaller cornerback. 15. Dolphins -- Mark Ingram*, RB, Alabama Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams both could be gone, and the Dolphins need to focus on the offense. It's a stretch to take any running back this high considering how well late-round backs have been doing of late, but Miami needs to fill this position with a quality player. 16. Jaguars -- Robert Quinn*, DE, North Carolina Quinn was one of the Tar Heels suspended for taking improper benefits from an agent. But that will be overlooked if teams believe he can get to the quarterback as much as he did when he was eligible. 17. Patriots (from Oakland) -- J.J. Watt*, DT, Wisconsin He has the size to be an impact lineman in a 3-4 defense and seems to have the character marks the Patriots covet. He wasn't highly recruited and became a star because of hard work. Of course, New England is never easy to peg in a mock draft. 18. Chargers -- Julio Jones*, WR, Alabama What do you add to a team that had the top-ranked offense and defense ... but didn't make the playoffs? The Chargers' defensive numbers were a bit skewed because their special teams let the opponent score so much, so they could go with a pass rusher like Vonn Miller. But they might take another opportunity to tick off Vincent Jackson. 19. Giants -- Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State The Pac-10 defensive player of the year would be a good value here. Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield is a free agent who has had injury problems. 20. Buccaneers -- Aldon Smith*, DE, Missouri Smith missed most of last season with a broken leg, but had 11.5 sacks the season before. The Bucs didn't have any players who reached five sacks last season and have to find a way to get after quarterbacks like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Rocky, Thanks for updating us on those who declared.  This is awesome!!  Can I ask where did you get this information?  I can't find a single source.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2011-nfl-draft-underclassmen-status

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

At the end of last years draft all of the top prognasticators predicted that the Patriots would draft  Adrian Clayborn of Iowa would anyone be upset if that happenend? I know I wouldn't be mad about that happenening. There a lot of potential choices and all I want is that with one of the top 3 picks is for them to replace an O-lineman. This is an area of extreme need.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

we should get a 5th round compensatory pick for Ben Watson. Generally the average value of the contract determines where the pick. Watson's average salary is about where 5th round compensatory picks are found and significantly higher than 6th round compensatory picks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Wishin and Hopin? Faucetman: You and JJ are lost with Pats.  After yesterdays great performance by Cameron "Son of Ironhead" Heywood of OSU v the Hogs and Cameron Jordan's experience in a 3-4 and increasing prominence in draft boards (see MB eariler comment) and this url  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-2011-carolina-panthers-andrew-luck-top-pick-010311 I think JJ goes below us, likely to homeboy Packers.  I did not like his cryin time utube, either, and I don't think BB would be impressed by it or JJ's lackin and slackin performance vs Texas Christian in the big bowl game.  Thoughts, anyone?
    Posted by fyyankees[/QUOTE]
    I've seen Rodney Harrison shed a few tears in victory so seeing an emotional Watt after a tough Rose Bowl loss does not disqualify him IMO.  TCU had a great game plan schemed specifically against Watt.  Yes they doubled him but they also designed a few plays exploiting Watt's tendencies such as fake hand offs aimed at him and mis directions.  A good coach can always eliminate a team's best player, see BB.  If Watt can fall to 32/33, that would be great because I think he's a top 15 talent.

Heyward disappeared for most of the season.  What did he have 2.5 sacks?  He shows up at the most important game where he knows all the scouts will be watching.  Just an observation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : No assigned, everywhere I've looked it lists Pats assigned 5th round. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html   1st Round – #17 (OAK – www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/09/2011-patriots-draft-picks.html# " class="GVAdLink" /> Richard Seymour ) 1st Round – #32* 2nd Round – #33 (CAR – 2010 3rd Round) 2nd Round – #64* 3rd Round – #74 ( www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/10/patriots-trade-randy-moss-to-minnesota.html "> MIN – Randy Moss ) 3rd Round – #96* 4th Round 5th Round 6th Round (NO – David Thomas) Picks traded away: 4th Round (SEA – Deion Branch) (via DEN (Maroney) if higher than NE pick) 6th Round (DEN – Laurence Maroney) 7th Round (ATL – Quinn Ojinnaka) Conditional Draft Pick – Round Unknown (KC – Jarrad Page)
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    If we don't have a 6th and don't have a 7th and can't trade comp picks, then Page would have to be a 5th unless we're giving up our David Thomas conditional pick.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots acquired S Jarrad Page in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs for undisclosed draft considerations and LB Tracy White in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles for undisclosed draft considerations.

Read more at: www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=44332&pcid=47&cp" target="_blank_">http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=44332&pcid=47&cp

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I would be extatic if the Pats top two picks were Wisconsin Badgers,Watt and Carimi(who along with solder seem to be the best fits at OT for the Pats).Problem is that Carimi probably doesn't last to 32.A key factor in this draft,as I and others have discussed have discussed,is the Mankins situation.If he  re-signs,which makes all the sense in the world to both Mankins and the Pats,the OL becomes less of a priority though I would still would look for an OT to be drafted in the top four picks.Should Watt be gone(about a fifty-fifty chance)I would hope Kerrigan would be there.I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats target a veteran WR,RB,Guard and OLB/DE as free agents.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hardly a big surprise, but good...  I have to think at least one RB will go before our pick at 17.

Barry Sanders Jr. says Mark Ingram Jr. is NFL draft bound

Mark Ingram, Jon Misch, Marcus Hyde

From our “take this secondhand information with a grain of salt but it’s interesting anyway” department: The running back son of one former NFL player may have revealed that the running back son of another former NFL player will enter the 2011 NFL draft.

OKBlitz.com quotes Barry Sanders Jr., a junior in high school who’s being recruited by Alabama, as saying that Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban told him that Alabama’s starting running back, Mark Ingram Jr., is leaving school early for the NFL.

“He just said ‘We need running backs,’” Sanders said. “How Trent [Richardson] would be a senior if I were to go [to Alabama]. www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=32543">He told me Ingram’s leaving, he’s making it public probably Friday.”

Ingram, who won the 2009 Heisman Trophy, has first-round talent. It makes sense that he’d be ready to move on to the next level.

But as our friends at College Football Talk note, Saban is a control freak who won’t be thrilled with Sanders making this information public prior to the official announcement. Then again, if Sanders plays for Alabama and makes plays like www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4SVVTCKT4">this and www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBspbe56Eo&feature=related">this, Saban can probably forgive him for having a big mouth.