2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Sorry man, but 3-4 DE is and should be very high on our radar. None of the guys you mention above are legit 3-4 DE's except TWarren. Brace, Wright, Pryor are 4-3 guys, with Brace possibly playing NT in our 3-4 to spell Vince, but he is much to slow (5.48 40yd) to play 3-4 DE the way it needs to be played. Could they fill in? Yes of course, but they are not what our 3-4 system demands at the DE position. If you are looking for the prototype 3-4 DE, think Seymour. Right size, strength, quickness, wingspan. They got to seal, collapse, eat up double teams, disrupt passing lanes, etc. That demands someone in the 6'4-6'6" range, and 300-315 pounds, that runs a 4.8/4.9 40yd. That is at least my ideal and probably pretty close to Bills. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    I agree with Lifer on this Auchhhh

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Faucet I usually defer to your superior knowledge( college football only) but all   I said was Jordan seems to be moving up and MAY not be there at 17. In fact I saw somewhere a mock had him going to the Texans at what 11? I hope he is there although for some reason I still like Watt. Again as we know its a guessing game.My main point was I hope we dont get Pouncy and I really hope we get Powell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Acho is a name I have not seen....

Sirius guys talk pass-rush prospects

January, 31, 2011
    By Mike Reiss
    DALLAS -- Spent a few minutes with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, who host the "Movin' The Chains" program on Sirius NFL Radio. The discussion shined the spotlight on some of the top needs for the Patriots this offseason.

They both focused on edge rushers, pulling out their notes from the Senior Bowl to identify three prospects they feel could fit best in the Patriots' system:

Sam Acho (Texas) -- Four-year defensive end who also played defensive tackle, he totaled 23.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles over his career. At 6-foot-3 and around 260 pounds, he projects as an edge rusher/outside linebacker in the Patriots' scheme. Some scouting analysts project him as a third-round pick.

Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) -- Projected as a first-round pick, he is second on the Boilermakers' all-time charts with 33.5 sacks. He is also fifth in Purdue history in tackles for a loss (57), which makes him one of the most disruptive players in the draft.

Brooks Reid (Arizona) -- Compared to Clay Matthews by Kirwan, some scouting analysts project him as a third-round pick. He totaled 17 sacks over his four seasons with the Wildcats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Sam Acho is a top notch character kid. Comes from a great family. Even if we get DE in first round if Acho is there in the third he should be seriously considered. I'd love to have both Acho and Herzlich. We wouldn't have to worry about leadership on Pats for the next decade.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

The Patriots need a top notch DE from the 1st round and a depth/potential DE in the 3rd round

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet I usually defer to your superior knowledge( college football only) but all   I said was Jordan seems to be moving up and MAY not be there at 17. In fact I saw somewhere a mock had him going to the Texans at what 11? I hope he is there although for some reason I still like Watt. Again as we know its a guessing game.My main point was I hope we dont get Pouncy and I really hope we get Powell
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the flattery but not sure it's justified. 

Everything is guess work at this point.  Once we have the Combine and get some measurables on some of these guys we should start getting separation.  Right now there are a whole bunch of people ranked together.  Houston I would think would be an unlikely place for Jordan or any DE to go.  First, they run a 4-3 base defense.  Second, they need a DT, not a DE.  I think playing Jordan as a 4-3 DT is not the best use of his talent.  He plays 3-4 DE at Cal.  He can use his speed to beat the tackle on the edge vs. playing inside.

I'm not big on Pouncey and I love Watt and Powell, so we have that in common.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Acho is a name I have not seen.... Sirius guys talk pass-rush prospects January, 31, 2011 By Mike Reiss DALLAS -- Spent a few minutes with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, who host the "Movin' The Chains" program on Sirius NFL Radio. The discussion shined the spotlight on some of the top needs for the Patriots this offseason. They both focused on edge rushers, pulling out their notes from the Senior Bowl to identify three prospects they feel could fit best in the Patriots' system: Sam Acho (Texas) -- Four-year defensive end who also played defensive tackle, he totaled 23.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles over his career. At 6-foot-3 and around 260 pounds, he projects as an edge rusher/outside linebacker in the Patriots' scheme. Some scouting analysts project him as a third-round pick. Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) -- Projected as a first-round pick, he is second on the Boilermakers' all-time charts with 33.5 sacks. He is also fifth in Purdue history in tackles for a loss (57), which makes him one of the most disruptive players in the draft. Brooks Reid (Arizona) -- Compared to Clay Matthews by Kirwan, some scouting analysts project him as a third-round pick. He totaled 17 sacks over his four seasons with the Wildcats.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    All three of those guys are solid options Rocky.  If Kerrigan is still on the board at 17, he would be hard to pass up.  Reed should be available at 60 and Acho perhaps as late as 92 but certainly he should be there at 74.  It depends I guess on priorities and positional depth.

If we are able to retain Light or Mankins, just one of them, it allows us to take a DE, an OLB and OL with our top 3 picks.  If I had to guess, odds are we will keep Light because he wants to stay and I assume the team still wants him.  As for the draft, a lot will depend on where BB ranks some of these guys. 

Some of the guys I think we will consider in the first round are Kerrigan, Jordan, Watt, Castonzo, Carimi, Solder, Heyward and perhaps Wilkerson and Taylor.  I think there is a better chance for one of the 3-4 DEs to slide to 28 than one of the top OTs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Max, I think there is an excellent chance that Jordan will be there at 17.  He is a perfect fit as a 3-4 DE but not such a good fit as a 4-3 DT.  Therefore I think he goes to a 3-4 team that needs a defensive end.  If we look at the teams picking ahead of us, the 3-4 teams who need DEs are DEN (2), BUF (3), CLE (6), DAL (9), and WAS (10).  Jordan is not going in the top 3 not with Fairley, Peterson and Bowers sitting there.  Cleveland would go with AJ Green or Von Miller before taking a DE.  Dallas has already stated they want an OT.  Miami is a 3-4 team at 15 but they have ZERO need for a DE so this leaves WAS.  WAS has much bigger needs at QB, WR, OG, and CB.  I would think if they don't take a QB like Mallett or Newton that they would go with Julio Jones or Prince Amukamara over Jordan.  But, I could be wrong here. Teams between 11-14 are HOU, MIN, DET and STL.  All are 4-3 teams and only MIN has a need at DE.  So if you make the case that Jordan can play 4-3 DE, there still isn't a need at MIN at 12.  MIN would likely be looking at QB or a more traditional edge rushing DE like Kerrigan, Quinn or Aldon Smith.  This takes us to JAX at 16.  JAX is a 4-3 team.  DE is a top need tied for JAX with QB, TE, OLB, FS, SS.  Again, if they target a DE, it would most likely be a prototypical speed edge rusher if one is left.  If WAS does not take a DE, I think there is a 80/20 chance that both Watt and Jordan are there at 17.  If we pigeonhole both players as 3-4 DEs after we pick at 17, SD needs a DE at 18 then no other 3-4 teams need a DE until we pick again at 28.  So, a strong case can be made that we could hold off on DE giving SD their choice of Watt or Jordan with the other one slipping to 28 unless the Jets move ahead of us.  They have shown the willingness to climb the board for a player they covet but they don't have a 2nd rounder this year and they'd have to swap their 3rd for a team's 4th meaning they get one pick in the top 100. So, I would target OT or OLB at 17 and DE at 28.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

great analysis faucet.
    thanks for this!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Thanks for the flattery but not sure it's justified.  Everything is guess work at this point.  Once we have the Combine and get some measurables on some of these guys we should start getting separation.  Right now there are a whole bunch of people ranked together.  Houston I would think would be an unlikely place for Jordan or any DE to go.  First, they run a 4-3 base defense.  Second, they need a DT, not a DE.  I think playing Jordan as a 4-3 DT is not the best use of his talent.  He plays 3-4 DE at Cal.  He can use his speed to beat the tackle on the edge vs. playing inside. I'm not big on Pouncey and I love Watt and Powell, so we have that in common.   

Faucet,
    With Wade Phillips taking over as D coordinator in Houston, word is they are switching to a 3-4. That means that Jordan is potentially a target, but I would contend with switching to the 3-4 and who they currently have as personnel, they would be much better off with a big NT like Phil Taylor from Baylor. They need an anchor on that line and currently no one on the line can occupy space like Taylor could.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

just realized this...the 4-3 teams must be getting really excited over the bumper crop of pass rush DEs this year. it would be hard to pck the wrong kid. 2011 reg season could be trouble for OTs and QBs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]i was thinking about the draft and some of the things i read here everyday, and trying to imagine how things could develop for the pats... when the doctor told me my height and weight 6-1  253     ( we use kilograms and centimeters here in mexico 1.85 and 115 kilos) and my first thought was  INSIDE LINEBACKER !!!! HAHAHAH and the second one... :S time to diet !!!!!!!!! thanks for the good work guys... draft is getting closer !    
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
    I'm 6-3, 270 and I run a blistering 6.09 so I'm thinking OLB:))  But at 47, I might be stuck on special teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Faucet, With Wade Phillips taking over as D coordinator in Houston, word is they are switching to a 3-4. That means that Jordan is potentially a target, but I would contend with switching to the 3-4 and who they currently have as personnel, they would be much better off with a big NT like Phil Taylor from Baylor. They need an anchor on that line and currently no one on the line can occupy space like Taylor could.
    Hadn't heard that they were moving to a 3-4, now it makes sense.  Guess we have to throw Watt back into the mix at 17 because if Houston takes Jordan, SD might take Watt at 18.  If we can extend Light for 1-2 years, we might be able to draft Tyron Smith at 28 or 33 and take some time with him.  But if I'm Light, I would view this as my last chance to get a 4 year deal.  I just don't know if many teams would do that for a 32 year old average OT.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I'm 6-3, 270 and I run a blistering 6.09 so I'm thinking OLB:))  But at 47, I might be stuck on special teams.

I may have you beat!!!  6'4", 260!  I have no idea what I would run in a 40.  Probably around a minute.  I'm at 55!  You wimp!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

check this out in critiquing our system and in making your drafts:

also, it isn't often distinguished here, but i think it can be fun both guessing what bill might do and picking what we might do if we were doing the selecting. both are fun, though i prefer the second (and also pointing out where we as an organization and a coaching staff can grow). i would love to know which someone is discussing when, so i can read it that wayand "get" them.

cheers
    cb

-------------------------------------

DALLAS -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said his coaching staff is still taking "inventory" on the 2010 regular season. One area that should stand out -- and help shape a significant part of the team's offseason approach -- is the heavy volume of sub packages.

The Patriots are known as a 3-4 defense, but that's not what they played in the majority of their snaps. In fact, it wasn't even close.

Of 1,101 defensive plays charted by ESPNBoston.com (including some penalties and 2-point conversions), the Patriots were in a sub package 628 times. That's a 57 percent clip.

Meanwhile, the defense was in a base 3-4 alignment 441 times (40 percent) and short-yardage personnel on 32 snaps (3 percent).

So ultimately, the sub -- which is when five or more defensive backs are on the field -- is what sunk them. It's primarily why they ranked last in the NFL on third down.

The first step to change that is for Belichick and his staff to place more value on it in the scouting and evaluation process.

The Patriots are a system-specific team, which means they scout players independently based on how they might fit into their unique-to-them 3-4 system. Because of that, they sometimes take themselves out of the running for some of the best pure edge rushers in the draft, defenders who might fit only in 4-3 schemes.

Based on 2010, a strong case could be made that it's time to change that line of thinking.

Because of the struggles in the sub package, a 4-3 edge rusher is exactly what the Patriots need -- a havoc-creator that opposing teams must account for at all times, a play-with-your-hair-on-fire rusher who brings an attitude to a defense.

As the Super Bowl hype gets underway here Monday in "Big D" with the arrival of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers, there are two players in attendance who highlight what might have been different had the Patriots been thinking along those lines: LaMarr Woodley and Clay Matthews.

In 2007, Woodley was selected by the Steelers in the second round (46th overall). That was a draft in which the overall quality was considered poor, so how did a gem like Woodley -- who has 39 regular-season sacks in four seasons and comes up even bigger in the playoffs -- slip so far?

[+] EnlargeMatthews
    Jeff Hanisch/US PresswireClay Matthews could have been a Patriot, but New England traded away the pick the Packers used to select the star pass-rusher in the 2009 NFL draft.

Obviously the Patriots weren't the only team to miss on Woodley, who probably dropped because he measured 6-foot-1 and ran a so-so 4.74 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day entering the draft. The concern in scouts' eyes was likely whether Woodley's size would hinder him against bigger offensive tackles as a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end. While he's landed in the perfect system to maximize his talents -- always something important to consider -- it's hard to imagine Woodley wouldn't be a terror in New England and elsewhere.

As for Matthews, his situation has been well documented in these parts because the Patriots traded their 2009 first-round pick (26th overall) to the Packers, who were so hot for pass-rush help that they paid the hefty price of a second-round pick and two third-rounders, who then took Matthews with that pick from New England.

Coming into the draft, Matthews was a bit different from Woodley in that he was lighter, weighing 240 pounds at the combine and his pro day (Woodley was 266). That led to questions among analysts as to how well he'd hold up against the run in New England's 3-4 scheme ("setting the edge"), which could explain why the Patriots passed on him, assuming he checked out in all other areas. While Matthews has also landed in the perfect system to help him emerge -- he has 23.5 sacks in two seasons -- it's safe to say 31 other teams could find a way to maximize his pass-rush explosion.

When it comes to Woodley and Matthews, it's always easy to look back and wonder what might have been, and to simply pick two players like that isn't necessarily a fair exercise. After all, the Patriots' drafting is on par with some of the best in the NFL in Bill Belichick's tenure, and it would be just as easy to pick two highly drafted edge rushers who haven't panned out over that time.

Still, one important aspect of scouting is being flexible within a system, and the growing number of snaps in the sub defense could signal the need for the Patriots to alter their mindset.

In the search for three- and four-down players with their top picks, the Patriots have selected safety Brandon Meriweather, linebacker Jerod Mayo, safety Patrick Chung and cornerback Devin McCourty in each of the past four years.

Looking ahead, a two-down player wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that player is a pass-rusher.

At the least, he'd fill 57 percent of the snaps in sub packages, addressing the team's biggest need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Hadn't heard that they were moving to a 3-4, now it makes sense.  Guess we have to throw Watt back into the mix at 17 because if Houston takes Jordan, SD might take Watt at 18.  If we can extend Light for 1-2 years, we might be able to draft Tyron Smith at 28 or 33 and take some time with him.  But if I'm Light, I would view this as my last chance to get a 4 year deal.  I just don't know if many teams would do that for a 32 year old average OT.

I heard it on the radio here in Dallas when Phillips was announced as the D Coordinator in Houston. The press here raised a lot of questions as to whether or not Houston had the personnel to play 3-4, so maybe the transition may not be a drastic one...meaning in 1 year. Don't know.

Given Jordan's value and his recent performance, I think he is going to go before 17, and I think we'll see Watt there at 17 if we want him. The thing is if you look at Watt as compared to some of the other guys mentioned here (Wilkerson,Taylor, etc.) and the fact that we played more of  sub defense a higher % of the time in 2010, do we reconsider the 3-4 DE position, or do we still look for a stud 3-4 DE? I guess my feeling is with a guy like Jordan or Watt, we could plug those guys in (especially Jordan) in a 4 man line pretty effectively. I think it also begs stronger consideration for the CB position, and possibly an OLB that is not 3-4 typical, but rather more 4-3 like guy given our sub packages, unless you feel we are good here with Guyton and Fletcher.

Reiss article above is interesting...i wonder if BB reconsiders a players measurables and system based on the success of guys like Matthews and Woodley?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I heard it on the radio here in Dallas when Phillips was announced as the D Coordinator in Houston. The press here raised a lot of questions as to whether or not Houston had the personnel to play 3-4, so maybe the transition may not be a drastic one...meaning in 1 year. Don't know. Given Jordan's value and his recent performance, I think he is going to go before 17, and I think we'll see Watt there at 17 if we want him. The thing is if you look at Watt as compared to some of the other guys mentioned here (Wilkerson,Taylor, etc.) and the fact that we played more of  sub defense a higher % of the time in 2010, do we reconsider the 3-4 DE position, or do we still look for a stud 3-4 DE? I guess my feeling is with a guy like Jordan or Watt, we could plug those guys in (especially Jordan) in a 4 man line pretty effectively. I think it also begs stronger consideration for the CB position, and possibly an OLB that is not 3-4 typical, but rather more 4-3 like guy given our sub packages, unless you feel we are good here with Guyton and Fletcher. Reiss article above is interesting...i wonder if BB reconsiders a players measurables and system based on the success of guys like Matthews and Woodley?

You make some good points, last year we discussed the increase in sub packages (believe it was 51%) this year reportertly is 57% of snaps were in sub packages.

I've been one to vote for a CB (Bradon Harris) with the 17th although I don't think they need to do that but do think a nickle type CB will be taken.

I feel they have 3 good CB with Bodden (right) McCourty (left) Arrington (nickle) after that is how can Butler bounce back.  The kid has a ton of talent but his confidence is crap right now.  If he manages to live up to expectations, some CBs takes a while the need is not there anymore if he doesn't there's a big need so Chung is not forced into a CB role.  My thinking is if Bodden or DM get hurt how good is the group behind them and back to the Butler argument.  Did not mention Wilhite because I believe he'll be gone.

Don't think Brandon Harris is in play but in the 3rd or 4th I would take a chance on these guys.

Chimdi Chekwa 5'11" 190 - Good cover CB who also can play zone, he has good size and speed.  He had some injuries but manage to return from them see how he does in workouts.

Rashad Carmichael 5'10" 185 - (he could rise to be a 2nd rdr) he's extremely fast, productive CB can play both man or zone although he's not too good at press coverage.  This guy is also a return guy who could help in STs.

Curtis Marsh 6'0" 200 - He has not played CB for too long but has shown abilitiy at the position.  It might cost him to drop in the draft for late rounds but he's worth a look.  Good against the run, a physical CB.  Does bit on fakes at times but will improve with experience.

Jalil Brown 6'0" 202 - Saw him at the Senior Bowl and I came out impressed.  He didn't give up too much, was in the WRs pocket all the time and made plays on the ball. 

Those are 4 guys who I would look at in the 3rd and 4th.  There are a ton of big CBs, I don't think I remember so many 5'11+ CBs in one draft top to bottom including a couple of guys that list at 6'2 200. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Lining up another mock draft

February, 1, 2011

By Mike Reiss
    Peter Schrager produces his "post-Senior Bowl" first-round mock draft for Foxsports.com, and he focuses on the line of scrimmage for the Patriots. At No. 17, Schrager gives the Patriots California defensive end Cameron Jordan, and at No. 28, he stays close to home by slotting the Patriots offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo of Boston College.

On Jordan, Schrager writes, "The son of former Vikings All-Pro Steve Jordan, he’d be an immediate upgrade for the Patriots front seven ... [he] could be in the lineup right from the start in 2011."

On Castonzo, Schrager writes, "A 53-game starter in college, he fits the [Bill] Belichick mode to a T. There may be a push from the fans to grab a running back or receiver with this pick, but I can see Belichick grabbing one with that 33rd pick, instead."

ANALYSIS: At the end of the season, one of the top thoughts was that the Patriots need an "attitude" type of offseason with an injection of some nastiness and explosion at the line of scrimmage. Schrager is thinking along the same lines. Jordan looks like he'd be a defensive end in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment while staying on the field on third down and rushing from an interior position. Castonzo would be groomed as a left tackle of the future as that seems to be his best fit on the line. Specific to 2011, the Patriots could benefit more from interior help on the offensive line, but the chance to groom a potential left tackle of the future is good business.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'd like to throw Jeremy Beal's name into the mix.  He's got ideal size for the position at 6'3 267lbs and is a very instinctive player.  Probably the best all around prospect at OLB for 3-4 teams.  He's got a great motor and is very strong at the point of attack.  Although he's not an elite pass rusher with a wide array of moves like V. Miller or Quinn, he can collapse a pocket in a hurray and sets the edge in the running game with his power and strength.  What impresses me most though is his ability to drop back into coverage and play in space.  He's got very fluid hips and good closing speed.  Guys like Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn and Von Miller may get more hype, but Beal could have more impact right away because there's less of learning curve with him.  He's coming into the league having already played primarily out of a 2 pt stance as on OLB.  However, he adds value in that he could play on 3rd down as DE in a nickel sub package

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I really liked Beal early, but after his Senior Bowl practice/game performance, I'm a bit reluctant. He really struggled per several analysts...anyone on this board see something different?

[QUOTE]I'd like to throw Jeremy Beal's name into the mix.  He's got ideal size for the position at 6'3 267lbs and is a very instinctive player.  Probably the best all around prospect at OLB for 3-4 teams.  He's got a great motor and is very strong at the point of attack.  Although he's not an elite pass rusher with a wide array of moves like V. Miller or Quinn, he can collapse a pocket in a hurray and sets the edge in the running game with his power and strength.  What impresses me most though is his ability to drop back into coverage and play in space.  He's got very fluid hips and good closing speed.  Guys like Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn and Von Miller may get more hype, but Beal could have more impact right away because there's less of learning curve with him.  He's coming into the league having already played primarily out of a 2 pt stance as on OLB.  However, he adds value in that he could play on 3rd down as DE in a nickel sub package
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]I really liked Beal early, but after his Senior Bowl practice/game performance, I'm a bit reluctant. He really struggled per several analysts...anyone on this board see something different? In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** :
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

I thought he played ok in the Senior Bowl.  He had a big hit sack on Dalton that took him out of the game and made a nice solo tackle near the goal line that prevented a TD.  The North coaches also had him lined-up as a DE most of the game so we didn't get to see him play off the LOS.  Watch some of the Youtube clips of him standing up as an OLB (e.i. against Oklahoma State) and I think you'll see what I'm referring to. 

Overall I see him getting drafted somewhere in 33-45 range, right where Belichick loves to stockpile and select 'value' picks.  I could see Beal being this year's version of Jermaine Cunningham. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Shining,

Thanks for the info....he really has the size...kind of like Vrabel had.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I thought he played ok in the Senior Bowl.  He had a big hit sack on Dalton that took him out of the game and made a nice solo tackle near the goal line that prevented a TD.  The North coaches also had him lined-up as a DE most of the game so we didn't get to see him play off the LOS.  Watch some of the Youtube clips of him standing up as an OLB (e.i. against Oklahoma State) and I think you'll see what I'm referring to.  Overall I see him getting drafted somewhere in 33-45 range, right where Belichick loves to stockpile and select 'value' picks.  I could see Beal being this year's version of Jermaine Cunningham. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I may have you beat!!!  6'4", 260!  I have no idea what I would run in a 40.  Probably around a minute.  I'm at 55!  You wimp!
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]
    Haha, but I can still bench 330. 

Up to 100 pages and 2,000 posts.  Another draft gem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

brdreu,

great story, thanks for sharing.  this may alter my thinking a bit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I thought he played ok in the Senior Bowl.  He had a big hit sack on Dalton that took him out of the game and made a nice solo tackle near the goal line that prevented a TD.  The North coaches also had him lined-up as a DE most of the game so we didn't get to see him play off the LOS.  Watch some of the Youtube clips of him standing up as an OLB (e.i. against Oklahoma State) and I think you'll see what I'm referring to.  Overall I see him getting drafted somewhere in 33-45 range, right where Belichick loves to stockpile and select 'value' picks.  I could see Beal being this year's version of Jermaine Cunningham. 

He's a kid that's been mentioned quite a bit and I think he's an option if they're looking OLB in Rd 2. 

As for that SB sack, he was blatantly offside on that play allowing him a clean path to the QB which resulted in the hit,  but a big hit nonetheless.

I took a look at the vid vs. Oklahoma state.  He displayed some good instincts, awarness and nose for the ball, showed the ability to set the edge and didn't look out of place playing out of a two point stance.  He doesn't look like a quick twitch type kid, but I do like the versatility. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[QUOTE]Shining, Thanks for the info....he really has the size...kind of like Vrabel had. In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** :
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

No problem..just doing my part..lol. 

BTW, I looked up Jermaine Cunningham's 2010 draft profile and his measurables are almost exactly the same as Jeremy Beal's.  Kinda creepy but in a fun sort of way. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=47513&pcid=41&cp

Ask PFW: (some draft talk)       By Andy Hart, Patriots Football Weekly