2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so here are the options as I see them.  I put a rough idea of where they might get drafted and I didn't not consider their character, just their football skills.  3-4 OLB:   Von Miller 6-3, 237, 4.56 (7); Robert Quinn 6-5, 268, 4.64; (9), Ryan Kerrigan 6-4, 255, 4.82 (12); Aldon Smith 6-4, 258, 4.69 (17); Akeem Ayers 6-4, 255, 4.68 (20); Justin Houston 6-3, 258, 4.68(28); Jabaal Sheard 6-3, 260, 4.76 (40); Mark Herzlich 6-4, 250, 4.75 (55); KJ Wright 6-3, 246, 4.63 (58); Brooks Reed 6-3, 257, 4.73 (60); Dontay Moch 6-2, 229, 4.38 (74); Jeremy Beal 6-2, 268, 4.79 (80); Sam Acho 6-2, 257, 4.72 (85); and Pernell McPhee 6-3, 274, 4.76.  If we want the best, we have to hope Von Miller gets past BUF (3), ARI (6), CLE (7) and SF (8) as all are 3-4 teams in need of an OLB.  If Houston is moving to a 3-4 they could be looking at Miller at 11.  If they go a different direction such as Jordan, Miller could fall all the way to us since DAL is rumored to be taking an OT at 9, and WAS at 10 is probably taking a QB.  MIA is the only other 3-4 team and they are set at OLB.  Quinn and Kerrigan are scheme diverse and there are plenty of 43 teams that could take them.  This leaves Aldon Smith, Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers as options at 17.  If we don't address OLB at 17 there is a chance one of the three aforementioned will be there at 28.  There is nobody at 33 that makes sense.  Pick 60 would be the logical place to land a stud OLB.  We should have several of the following available, Sheard, Herzlich, Wright, Reed, Moch, Beal and Acho.  We could take one here and another at 74. Of all these guys, the most intriguing besides Miller is Dontay Moch.  At 6-2, 229 but with 4.38 speed, Moch could almost be a SS or hybrid LB in sub packages such as a 5-2-4 or 4-2-5 set.  Put him next to Mayo in these alignments and have him rush the passer or stay in coverage.  BB could certain find something for him to do.  In summary, if we miss out on or don't like Miller, Kerrigan, Smith and Quinn at 17, we could and probably should draft two OLBs at 60 and 74.  Chances are one of those 4 guys will be there but if it isn't Miller or Kerrigan, I'd be inclined to get Watt and then get Reed and Moch later.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet are you on the Moch train!  Do I have company now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, so here are the options as I see them.  I put a rough idea of where they might get drafted and I didn't not consider their character, just their football skills.  3-4 OLB:   Von Miller 6-3, 237, 4.56 (7); Robert Quinn 6-5, 268, 4.64; (9), Ryan Kerrigan 6-4, 255, 4.82 (12); Aldon Smith 6-4, 258, 4.69 (17); Akeem Ayers 6-4, 255, 4.68 (20); Justin Houston 6-3, 258, 4.68(28); Jabaal Sheard 6-3, 260, 4.76 (40); Mark Herzlich 6-4, 250, 4.75 (55); KJ Wright 6-3, 246, 4.63 (58); Brooks Reed 6-3, 257, 4.73 (60); Dontay Moch 6-2, 229, 4.38 (74); Jeremy Beal 6-2, 268, 4.79 (80); Sam Acho 6-2, 257, 4.72 (85); and Pernell McPhee 6-3, 274, 4.76.  If we want the best, we have to hope Von Miller gets past BUF (3), ARI (6), CLE (7) and SF (8) as all are 3-4 teams in need of an OLB.  If Houston is moving to a 3-4 they could be looking at Miller at 11.  If they go a different direction such as Jordan, Miller could fall all the way to us since DAL is rumored to be taking an OT at 9, and WAS at 10 is probably taking a QB.  MIA is the only other 3-4 team and they are set at OLB.  Quinn and Kerrigan are scheme diverse and there are plenty of 43 teams that could take them.  This leaves Aldon Smith, Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers as options at 17.  If we don't address OLB at 17 there is a chance one of the three aforementioned will be there at 28.  There is nobody at 33 that makes sense.  Pick 60 would be the logical place to land a stud OLB.  We should have several of the following available, Sheard, Herzlich, Wright, Reed, Moch, Beal and Acho.  We could take one here and another at 74. Of all these guys, the most intriguing besides Miller is Dontay Moch.  At 6-2, 229 but with 4.38 speed, Moch could almost be a SS or hybrid LB in sub packages such as a 5-2-4 or 4-2-5 set.  Put him next to Mayo in these alignments and have him rush the passer or stay in coverage.  BB could certain find something for him to do.  In summary, if we miss out on or don't like Miller, Kerrigan, Smith and Quinn at 17, we could and probably should draft two OLBs at 60 and 74.  Chances are one of those 4 guys will be there but if it isn't Miller or Kerrigan, I'd be inclined to get Watt and then get Reed and Moch later.

I looked at Dontay Moch for a while now as a potential Patriot pick.  However, at no time have I ever entertained the idea of him staying at OLB due to his 229 lbs playing weight.  What I actually had in mind was having him switch positions and become a SS.  I think his size 6'2" 229 lbs vs Rodney Harrison's 6'1'' 220lbs compares very favorably.  Even with the heavier playing weight, he is rumored to run a 4.25 40.  Let's say he doesn't put up that kind of 40 time but instead is more like a 4.3 guy, that's still faster than 99% of other safeties when you consider that most run between 4.4 - 4.5 while also weighing about 10-15lbs less.

What should also be taken into consideration is the fact that both Merriweather & Sanders will be free agents after next season, so safety all of a sudden becomes a major need.  If the Pats take Moch now, he'll have a full season to adjust to the learning curve associated with playing a new position, and at the very least could be a potential beast on special teams during his rookie season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Been on the Moch bandwagon for awhile with one caveat: I doubt he can stack and shed at the NFL level; he could be great in disguise and on the occasional blitz package, but I don't see him as putting up Demarcus Ware sack numbers. That said, he wraps up well and if the 40 times are true he, as faucet said, has once in a generation speed for his size. The OLB/SS hybrid is an interesting thought. I initially thought we have some one who can cover Dallas clark, Gates and slew of other HB/TEs that have given the Pats match-up problems in the past. A concern will be how his stock fares pre-combine vs. post combine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport
    LOL. Belichick tells NFL Network people have already given him offers on his two 1st rounders

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4692741/belichick-trade-offers-for-top-picks utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"We've already had a couple offers on them," Belichick said. "We'll see what happens. We'll do whatever we can to improve the team, whether that's move up, move down, or stay where we are, and just try to add more players and more depth to our roster."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Nice article Faucet.  Here is my 1st mock of the season.  Feedback is encouraged and welcome. #17 J.J. Watt-DE-Wisconsin A tough and smart BB type football player.  One of very few prospects who can be a 3-down DE in our 3-4 defense.  Cam Jordan is also an option, but for whatever reason, I think Watt is BB's choice.  Plus, all Pats 1st round picks have last names starting in M or W. #28 Anthony Castonzo-OT-Boston College A local BC kid-from a school that produces very good linemen.  Castonzo and Vollmer are two big tackles, who with the help of Scar, anchor our line for years to come.  Castonzo could start right away, but might benefit if he spends a year or two backing up Matt Light. #33 Danny Watkins-OG-Baylor Yes, I know he's 26, but the talent is very much there.  He was the best interior lineman at the combine, and would have a shot at the 1st round if he wasn't so old.  He has good character, and is an all-round solid guard.  BB has always been the one to take the players others avoid-Watkins has tremendous talent and should start right away.  BB seems like the exact type of coach who would ignore his age. #60 Brooks Reed-DE/OLB-Arizona Seems like the perfect Patriot, no?  A motor that never stops running, and a very good pass rusher as well.  He reminds many scouts of Clay Matthews, who the Pats passed on.  If we got pressure on Mark Sanchez, we win the game, drafting Brooks Reed will help to fix the problem. #74 Randall Cobb-WR/RB/QB/KR/PR-Kentucky See all the slashes?  I thought so, Cobb is exactly the versatile type of player BB wants on his team.  Cobb will primarily help our WR crew, adding another weapon for Brady, but can also help the team in other ways.  He opens up so many opportunities for our already dangerous offense.  This kid holds the SEC record for all-purpose yards-a stat that is sure to catch BB's eye. #92 Roy Helu Jr-HB-Nebraska Probably the best running back in Senior Bowl practices.  The Pats need some depth at HB, and nobody is a better rounded back than Helu.  He can catch, and should help diversify our offense-providing another threat in addition to Green-Ellis and Woodhead. #124 Owen Marecic-FB/ILB-Stanford A solid blocker, and special teams stand out.  Again has the versatility that BB craves.  He is hard working and truly fits the mold of a Patriots player. #140 Jalil Brown-CB-Colorado Probably won't last this long after his Senior Bowl so we might have to trade up.  Still, Brown is a god, underrated CB who should help shore up a weak CB depth chart. #168 Nathan Enderle-QB-Idaho t's always good business to develop QB prospects, besides we need some competition for Hoyer in camp.  Enderle is a accurate passer and good decision maker.  He plays in a pro style offense, so he should be NFL ready as a backup. May never be a starter, but thats what they said about Brady! I don't believe we have a 7th round pick
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

ttf,
    This would be a solid get for NE, though I agree with Faucet in that Castonzo will likely be off the board before 28 and Cobb is probably gone by 74.

Watt, Watkins, Reed, Cobb and Marecic are players that I'm particularly high on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4692741/belichick-trade-offers-for-top-picks utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter "We've already had a couple offers on them," Belichick said. "We'll see what happens. We'll do whatever we can to improve the team, whether that's move up, move down, or stay where we are, and just try to add more players and more depth to our roster."
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

This is curious. Did BB really get offers, or is he trying to generate offers by leading people to believe he has got offers?

If this true, I wonder if one of the teams is Carolina sitting with the 1st pick in the draft? Could it be?...their #1, for our #17 and #33? I know it doesn't work out points wise per se, but it's a solid deal for Carolina don't you think?

Anyone care to speculate on where the offers might have come from and what the offers were?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Faucet are you on the Moch train!  Do I have company now?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Well, there are 2 of you now on this train. I'm kind of sitting at the station on this one because I'm not sure where Moch fits in in our defense. He seems like a luxury pick for us, and I don't think we have quite the roster for that yet...He's too small to play any LB position, and not sure if he could convert to Saftey. He has the size and speed to be a safety, but I've never seen the guy in coverage before. The few times I did see him lined up as a LB, he seemed a bit out of place. Count me in as intrigued due to his measurables.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : ttf, This would be a solid get for NE, though I agree with Faucet in that Castonzo will likely be off the board before 28 and Cobb is probably gone by 74. Watt, Watkins, Reed, Cobb and Marecic are players that I'm particularly high on.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Don't get over confident about any projected draft choices because BB did an interview on NFL network and he let out the fact that he's already received offers for all three of the early picks..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I am not on the Moch train at all.  I see a numbers and workout guy, not a player at OLB at the least.  Dont like the angles I see him take or his actual football skills.

As far as BB getting offers on the picks. I do think he has actually gotten them.  Teams know we move around.  So we are a prime team to contact. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I want to add another guy back on the radar. I heard him mentioned here a few times, and I've seen him play once, but want to get everyone's take on Steven Friday? I would like to see us draft 2 OLB's this year, and I think Friday looks pretty good, got good size and decent speed, and seems to be a pretty stout player.
    Anyone have any comments on him? Where do you see him going? (4th round?)
    At this point I'm just looking at 4th-7th round OLB's, more or less our 2nd OLB pick in the draft if we are correct on this board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Don't get over confident about any projected draft choices because BB did an interview on NFL network and he let out the fact that he's already received offers for all three of the early picks..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Not really sure how this is news though?  One of the values of trading back to acquire picks in future drafts is to provide himself with more long term flexibility and options.  It's kind of a given that he'll receive offers.

Outside of that, I'm pretty confident that with Costanzo won't last too long being that he's one of the few LT prospects in this class and Cobb, IMO, is one of the better receivers in this draft (further benefiting from Blackmon, Broyles and Floyd returning to school) and maybe the most versatile player in the entire class, so I expect him to be off the board by the end of Rd 2.  I liken him to Dexter McCluster who went 36th overall to KC in 2010, in a deeper overall draft class.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A lot of Moch talk going around, so I figured I'd give my opinion as well.

I'm just not seeing where he fits in.

Personally, I think he's more what fans want to see (just draft the edge guy with the fastest reported 40 time) than he is a realistic fit for NE's scheme.  As others have pointed out, he's 229 pounds, so realistically, what LB position is he going to play?  He's prob 20-25 pounds too light for the outside and 10-15 pounds too light for the inside. 

As for what I see, I think his speed is evident, but question his technique.  There isn't a whole lot of tape out there (I'd love to see more), but from the footage that I've been able to review, he does show some awareness, but I don't see a good use of hands, the ability to disengage or any secondary pass rush moves and doubt he'll be able to bullrush anyone due to his size.  He's either unblocked or just running around guys, what is he going to do at the NFL level if his speed rush to the outside is neutralized?

As for moving him to SS, what skills of his translate to the S position?  Is this solely based on reported 40 time?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Faucet are you on the Moch train!  Do I have company now?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    You do, my friend but not before 60.  I just think the upside is tremendous.  You said it before, he has once in a decade speed for a player his size.  He is an experienced pass rusher albeit from the DE position.  There is no more creative defensive mind that BB.  He can find a home for this kid.  I love Moch as a SS in dime packages and as a LB in nickel packages.  If he can stay with the speedier, more athletic TEs, which he should be able to, he could be a tremendous asset.  If our new DL can open some holes, we can set him loose to rush the passer from the inside or put him on the line in a 5-1-5 set where he comes up to the line in the last moment disguising the coverage.  If they don't have a TE on that side and we add a Watt or someone like Jordan, Moch could come clean and with his burst, he will get to the passer faster than most corners on a corner blitz. 

I would still go for a traditional OLB with size and rush ability in case Moch turns out to be nothing more than an athletic freak on special teams. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I looked at Dontay Moch for a while now as a potential Patriot pick.  However, at no time have I ever entertained the idea of him staying at OLB due to his 229 lbs playing weight.  What I actually had in mind was having him switch positions and become a SS.  I think his size 6'2" 229 lbs vs Rodney Harrison's 6'1'' 220lbs compares very favorably.  Even with the heavier playing weight, he is rumored to run a 4.25 40.  Let's say he doesn't put up that kind of 40 time but instead is more like a 4.3 guy, that's still faster than 99% of other safeties when you consider that most run between 4.4 - 4.5 while also weighing about 10-15lbs less. What should also be taken into consideration is the fact that both Merriweather & Sanders will be free agents after next season, so safety all of a sudden becomes a major need.  If the Pats take Moch now, he'll have a full season to adjust to the learning curve associated with playing a new position, and at the very least could be a potential beast on special teams during his rookie season.
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]
    YES ANGEL, YES!!  But not a traditional strong safety; we make him a hybrid SS/LB on sub packages.  Someone pointed out (and I have a horrible memory guys), I think it was Rocky, that we are in sub packages 58% of the time. 

Moch can't hold up as an OLB in the base 3-4 so I'm not suggesting that.  I'm not suggesting he become an every down SS, at least not right away.  I'm suggesting he comes in on passing downs, either as an extra safety or as one of the two LBs next to Mayo instead of Guyton.  We literally could play him at all three levels based on disguise and whatever BB wants to do.  We could use this kid so many ways that the offense can't audible out of a running or passing play based on him being in there, because while he might start out as the SS in the box, he can creep up to the 2nd level or to the LOS right before the snap.  He will make blocking assignments very difficult especially if we add a pass rusher on the DL like Jordan or Watt. 

MB, what do you think?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4692741/belichick-trade-offers-for-top-picks utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter "We've already had a couple offers on them," Belichick said. "We'll see what happens. We'll do whatever we can to improve the team, whether that's move up, move down, or stay where we are, and just try to add more players and more depth to our roster."
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    I'm not surprised.  I think there will be a lot of action for pick 33 especially from those top teams needing a QB but not wanting to gamble in the first round.  A guy like Kaepernick could draw a lot of interest early in the second. 

To move up, I don't know.  I would hate to give up both firsts even to acquire a Fairley or Peterson.  First off Fairley is known as a dirty player and he may have a shoulder issue.  If not for that, the kid is as dynamic as Suh, or close to it.  Peterson would compliment McCourty nicely and we could move Bodden to SS where he can cover better than Chung.  Peterson is also one heck of a special teams/return man.  Or, we could land Miller and solve our pass rushing needs from the OLB position.

Tough call.  Watt and a stud OT vs. Fairley, Miller or Peterson.  If we can lock down Mankins and extend Light for two years I'd say, YES, Let's do it.  We can parlay 33 into an extra 3rd and still have a low 40, 60, 74 and 92. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of Moch talk going around, so I figured I'd give my opinion as well. I'm just not seeing where he fits in. Personally, I think he's more what fans want to see (just draft the edge guy with the fastest reported 40 time) than he is a realistic fit for NE's scheme.  As others have pointed out, he's 229 pounds, so realistically, what LB position is he going to play?  He's prob 20-25 pounds too light for the outside and 10-15 pounds too light for the inside.  As for what I see, I think his speed is evident, but question his technique.  There isn't a whole lot of tape out there (I'd love to see more), but from the footage that I've been able to review, he does show some awareness, but I don't see a good use of hands, the ability to disengage or any secondary pass rush moves and doubt he'll be able to bullrush anyone due to his size.  He's either unblocked or just running around guys, what is he going to do at the NFL level if his speed rush to the outside is neutralized? As for moving him to SS, what skills of his translate to the S position?  Is this solely based on reported 40 time?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4866
    http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4812

Both players have recently weighed in at 229 and 237 respectively.
    One is at least .2 seconds quicker in the 40.
    Both players are an average of 20 to 25 lb's lighter than the average Pats OLB.
    The one with the extra 8 lb's is at least .2 seconds slower in the 40 will cost you a top 5 to 10 pick. But is more polished.
    The one with the speed and 8 lb's lighter will cost you your 60th or 74th pick.
    Both have questions with playing the run.
    You need an effective pass rusher, and if the DL does what it is suppose to do and occupies blockers then the pass rushing OLB should be able to use his speed to reduce the time the QB has to work.
    One is projected as the no. 1 OLB in the draft. If you can get a player with similar size and greater speed than the no. 1 OLB in the draft in the area of 60 to 74 that is a good value, even if he will need more coaching up. Besides we have no chance of getting Von Miller. Wether Mock just play's on passing downs and sub packages he will give us something we have never had.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : YES ANGEL, YES!!  But not a traditional strong safety; we make him a hybrid SS/LB on sub packages.  Someone pointed out (and I have a horrible memory guys), I think it was Rocky, that we are in sub packages 58% of the time.  Moch can't hold up as an OLB in the base 3-4 so I'm not suggesting that.  I'm not suggesting he become an every down SS, at least not right away.  I'm suggesting he comes in on passing downs, either as an extra safety or as one of the two LBs next to Mayo instead of Guyton.  We literally could play him at all three levels based on disguise and whatever BB wants to do.  We could use this kid so many ways that the offense can't audible out of a running or passing play based on him being in there, because while he might start out as the SS in the box, he can creep up to the 2nd level or to the LOS right before the snap.  He will make blocking assignments very difficult especially if we add a pass rusher on the DL like Jordan or Watt.  MB, what do you think?

i like the thought process. disguise. qb pressuring and coverage.

re the sub packages, i believe you are referring to my original post where i quoted Reiss.

peace,

cbdam/brdbreu

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I'm not surprised.  I think there will be a lot of action for pick 33 especially from those top teams needing a QB but not wanting to gamble in the first round.  A guy like Kaepernick could draw a lot of interest early in the second.  To move up, I don't know.  I would hate to give up both firsts even to acquire a Fairley or Peterson.  First off Fairley is known as a dirty player and he may have a shoulder issue.  If not for that, the kid is as dynamic as Suh, or close to it.  Peterson would compliment McCourty nicely and we could move Bodden to SS where he can cover better than Chung.  Peterson is also one heck of a special teams/return man.  Or, we could land Miller and solve our pass rushing needs from the OLB position. Tough call.  Watt and a stud OT vs. Fairley, Miller or Peterson.  If we can lock down Mankins and extend Light for two years I'd say, YES, Let's do it.  We can parlay 33 into an extra 3rd and still have a low 40, 60, 74 and 92. 

interesting to see some folks coming around on one of my ideas-trading up.
    i'm less inclined. i was merely making the point that we needed difference makers at all 3 positions, o an dd lin, and olb.  if we trade those picks for a top 5, we wont be able to improve our o line with a stud. i suggested we needed to keep all of our o line (provided light takes a pat friendly offer) and get a 1a stud and 1b o lineman. we cant stay pat there with the same line as last year and expect different results. cmon.

faucet too, do you expect moffit to be there at the low 40 you suggest above?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : ...cmon. faucet too, do you expect moffit to be there at the low 40 you suggest above?
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

pardon my butting in...gb's running game has space for improvement. if they see it that way, how do they fix it -- rb or interior lineman? if they choose the latter, then who do they choose? it may be a reach for them, but if pouncey's gone, and the wisconsin kid is available....

i mean what other aspect of their game do they need help at? crazy i know. interestingly, we just might find out this sunday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Title, I too liked your mock and hope we could get any of those players you mentioned.  But I too have questions about Marecic unless he's a late round pick.  He's a great and tough kid and a BB kid--living in San Jose I've gotten to watch him when Stanford plays.  Having said all that, we don't actually need a fullback in our system and I don't think he's the OLB we need.  He is obviously versatile and special teams might use him.  I would definitely take a flyer in late rounds.  On a different note, seems like our needs match up perfectly with the strengths of this draft. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Okay, enough of the Moch talk, although let me be the one to first call him Miller-lite.  Actually, the thought of a reasonable move up to get Von Miller is starting to grow on me.  According to Chan Gailey, who coached him at the SrB, he had no doubt that Miller would be a stud as a 3-4 OLB and be able to hold up against the run.  I'd give up 17 and 60 to move to 11 to get him if he's there.  This assumes we can retain Light and Mankins.  We could still possibly see Watt slip to 28.  If he doesn't go by 21 to KC, he slides all the way to 28. 

We can still trade back from 33 and pick back up a 3rd.  The math would work going from 33 to 50 and picking up 82.  We could still end up doing something like this...

11  OLB Von Miller
    28  DE JJ Watt
    50  WR Torrey Smith
    74  OG John Moffitt or Danny Watkins or Wisniewski
    82  OLB Jeremy Beal 
    92  RB Bilal Powell

I could live with this if I had to.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : i like the thought process. disguise. qb pressuring and coverage. re the sub packages, i believe you are referring to my original post where i quoted Reiss. peace, cbdam/brdbreu
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I'm late to get on board, you and Pats and others were talking him up long before.  I've been trying to think outside the box on Miller-lite.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : interesting to see some folks coming around on one of my ideas-trading up. i'm less inclined. i was merely making the point that we needed difference makers at all 3 positions, o an dd lin, and olb.  if we trade those picks for a top 5, we wont be able to improve our o line with a stud. i suggested we needed to keep all of our o line (provided light takes a pat friendly offer) and get a 1a stud and 1b o lineman. we cant stay pat there with the same line as last year and expect different results. cmon. faucet too, do you expect moffit to be there at the low 40 you suggest above?
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]
    The final 5 teams of the 1st round need OGs, but I see perhaps just Pouncey coming off to the Steelers.  OGs start to become in high demand around 35 but those teams have other bigger needs and OGs usually wait.  By the time we hit 43 or so, a ton of teams need OGs and they will start to fly.  I could see Wisniewski, Watkins, Moffitt, Hudson and Schilling all coming off the board in the 2nd round.  We might be able to land one of them at 60 but any lower, all bets are off.  That's why I favor a 10-12 spot trade down in the 2nd knowing I can get one of Moffitt, Wisniewski or Watkins.  But to be honest, Schilling belongs in that discussion as a very athletic quick guard.  He just hasn't been getting all the press recently.  Hudson can just flat out play regardless of his small stature.  He could be a 12 year starter at C and an excellent back-up OG.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I'm not surprised.  I think there will be a lot of action for pick 33 especially from those top teams needing a QB but not wanting to gamble in the first round.  A guy like Kaepernick could draw a lot of interest early in the second.  To move up, I don't know.  I would hate to give up both firsts even to acquire a Fairley or Peterson.  First off Fairley is known as a dirty player and he may have a shoulder issue.  If not for that, the kid is as dynamic as Suh, or close to it.  Peterson would compliment McCourty nicely and we could move Bodden to SS where he can cover better than Chung.  Peterson is also one heck of a special teams/return man.  Or, we could land Miller and solve our pass rushing needs from the OLB position. Tough call.  Watt and a stud OT vs. Fairley, Miller or Peterson.  If we can lock down Mankins and extend Light for two years I'd say, YES, Let's do it.  We can parlay 33 into an extra 3rd and still have a low 40, 60, 74 and 92. 

Now this is interesting...Bodden paired with Chung at safety, with McCourty and Peterson as our starting CB's. I'm all for this if we can land a stud DE/DT like you suggest with Watt at possibly 28.
    I possibly suggested using both 1sts to move up for Fairley earlier, but I want to retract that suggestion. I'm not in favor of moving up in the 1st round at all, unless it's 1-3 spots, a minor move requiring a later package of picks.
    I think there is a lot of talent in this draft that is going to fall to us where we pick, and it's talent we'll need across the board. No luxury picks, just places we need good players and we'll get it with minimal movement...I think...
    I just don't see any player worth cashing in 2 1sts this year. Not even Fairley in my opinion.

Regardless of what happens with Light, I dont' think we need to draft a stud OT in round 1. We talk so much about moving Vollmer to LT, then why spend a 1st on an RT when we can grab a quality one in rounds 2 & 3.

Same with Guard, but Faucet's suggestion that there will be a run on Guards means we'll need to start looking for one with our 33, or if we move from 33 down into the 40 range, we'll need to grab one there. Again, supposes Mankins walks and we need to fill his spot, which to me is more urgent, the interior of the line.

If you agree with the above, then we have flexibiity with 17 and 28, meaning, we don't need to spend it on a stud OT or G. We could go defense again with both picks, or do something a bit more unconventional and draft a Julio Jones if he falls to 17 as some suggested before.

Thoughts guys?.....
    1. Do you agree we can wait until round 2-3 to grab a RT? (assumes moving Vollmer to LT, and Light walks)
    2. Need to pick up a Guard with 33 or if we trade down in the 40's?
    3. Pick 17 & 28...if you agree with 1 & 2, what do you do with 17 and 28?

I'll post in a bit on my thoughts on 17 & 28 based on my beliefs above.