2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

Does anyone else think Robert Quinn could play OLB in a 3-4?  I think he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft.  It is possible that he slips out of the top 10 but probably won't be there at 17.  Maybe the Pats could sent 17 and a 3rd rounder to move up a few slots and get him.  That would surely solve the pass rush problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I agree with a lot on this board in regards to Moch.  He could be a nice project for a hybrid safety/linebacker.  Remember when BB signed Tank Williams and was planning to use him in a similar role?  Moch could be similar to Tank. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone else think Robert Quinn could play OLB in a 3-4?  I think he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft.  It is possible that he slips out of the top 10 but probably won't be there at 17.  Maybe the Pats could sent 17 and a 3rd rounder to move up a few slots and get him.  That would surely solve the pass rush problem.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I think Quinn can play the 3-4 OLB.  He reminds me of a slightly shorter Julius Peppers, who if we remember, wanted to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB.  I agree that Quinn could free fall based on missing his entire season.  I'm not so sure that he will fall as far as Dez Bryant did because Dez had a pretty crapped Pro Day.  If Quinn tears it up at the Combine, he's a top 10 pick.  If Quinn makes it to 17, it's 50/50 that we'd take him based on his past/character. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Now this is interesting...Bodden paired with Chung at safety, with McCourty and Peterson as our starting CB's. I'm all for this if we can land a stud DE/DT like you suggest with Watt at possibly 28. I possibly suggested using both 1sts to move up for Fairley earlier, but I want to retract that suggestion. I'm not in favor of moving up in the 1st round at all, unless it's 1-3 spots, a minor move requiring a later package of picks. I think there is a lot of talent in this draft that is going to fall to us where we pick, and it's talent we'll need across the board. No luxury picks, just places we need good players and we'll get it with minimal movement...I think... I just don't see any player worth cashing in 2 1sts this year. Not even Fairley in my opinion. Regardless of what happens with Light, I dont' think we need to draft a stud OT in round 1. We talk so much about moving Vollmer to LT, then why spend a 1st on an RT when we can grab a quality one in rounds 2 & 3. Same with Guard, but Faucet's suggestion that there will be a run on Guards means we'll need to start looking for one with our 33, or if we move from 33 down into the 40 range, we'll need to grab one there. Again, supposes Mankins walks and we need to fill his spot, which to me is more urgent, the interior of the line. If you agree with the above, then we have flexibiity with 17 and 28, meaning, we don't need to spend it on a stud OT or G. We could go defense again with both picks, or do something a bit more unconventional and draft a Julio Jones if he falls to 17 as some suggested before. Thoughts guys?..... 1. Do you agree we can wait until round 2-3 to grab a RT? (assumes moving Vollmer to LT, and Light walks) 2. Need to pick up a Guard with 33 or if we trade down in the 40's? 3. Pick 17 & 28...if you agree with 1 & 2, what do you do with 17 and 28? I'll post in a bit on my thoughts on 17 & 28 based on my beliefs above.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    I don't want to trade both firsts either.  I also agree that a slight move up from 17 to land a specific player such as Watt, Jordan or a stud OLB like Miller, Kerrigan or Quinn makes sense.  However, we can't move up far with our lower picks.  For instance, our 4th round pick moves us up 1 spot; our pick 92 moves us up 2 spots to 15 and our pick 74 moves us up 4 spots to 13.  The only move that makes sense of these options is to leap frog JAX with pick 92 if we think they are after a DE we covet, which they could be.  Watt, Jordan, Kerrigan and Quinn are all scheme diverse if you ask me.  Watt and Jordan can play 3-4 or 4-3 DE while Quinn and Kerrigan can play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB.

As for landing a stud LT in the first round, I tend to agree that we aren't likely to do that with Vollmer set to take over at LT when and if Light leaves.  BB is more likely to draft an OT in the 2nd round or later as history would suggest.  There are a couple of interesting options at pick 33 (if we keep it).  I firmly believe Solder, Carimi, Castonzo and Smith won't get out of the first round but Derek Sherrod just might slip to 33.  He's a natural LT where I think Carimi is more of a RT.  If teams also feel that Carimi is more of a RT, he could fall and Sherrod could replace him in the first round.  But if teams believe all 5 guys are LTs, Sherrod could be the one that drops into the 2nd.  If he does slip to 33, he won't slip much further so to take him there at 33, we have a guy who can play either LT or RT keeping our options wide open with injuries. 

If all 5 top OTs are gone by 33, we have other options at RT lower down the board.  Jason Pinkston is a little short at 6-3 but he could be a beast of a RT in the run game and should be available in the high 40s, low 50s which makes him a nice target if we trade down from 33.  Marcus Gilbert or Chris Hairston could be nice additions in the 92 to 124 range as RTs.  I'm not wild about Barksdale, Cannon, Brewer, Love or Carpenter in between 60 and 92 unless they show at the Combine that they are quicker than they appear to be on tape.  Keep in mind also that Danny Watkins played tackle at Baylor and while OG seems like a better fit, he has the size and athletic ability to be a solid RT in the NFL, IMO.  Besides his age concerns, I really am starting to like him better than Moffitt in that I'd rather have depth at tackle than center. 

Watkins kinda kills two birds if you ask me.  Even if we keep Mankins and Light, Watkins provides excellent depth at RT and both OG positions.  Connolly is a F/A after 2011 so depth is needed even if we keep Mankins which is not looking very likely.  I think I talked myself into Watkins with our first pick of the 2nd round wherever that happens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Ladies and gentlemen:

Your next stud OLB, the one that we have been missing ever since Willie McGinest left, is Adrian Clayborn.

Strong hands; good technique; excellent instincts; can hold up against the run; can speed-rush and bull-rush; coached by Friends of Bill; will play the elephant position vacated by Willie.

Here is a 14-minute video for you to examine:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/u/0/gbJqbwmfwp0

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Ladies and gentlemen: Your next stud OLB, the one that we have been missing ever since Willie McGinest left, is Adrian Clayborn. Strong hands; good technique; excellent instincts; can hold up against the run; can speed-rush and bull-rush; coached by Friends of Bill; will play the elephant position vacated by Willie. Here is a 14-minute video for you to examine: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProDraftParty#p/u/0/gbJqbwmfwp0
    Posted by TrustBill[/QUOTE]

I like Clayborn but don't see him as a 3-4 OLB. I think he is more a 4-3 DE, possibly a stretch to play 3-4 DE, but a bit too light. I don't think he has the speed or quickness to be a conversion OLB, but I don't know a ton about him either, just what I saw in a few games and via video.  

Is there somethign specifically you have seen that leads you to believe he can make the conversion?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

With regard to Light and Mankins, if Logan is set free and leaves for greener pastures, I could see the Pats re-signing Light and moving him to LG.  If you recall, Light played LG at Purdue and was transitioned to LT.  I'm sure he knows all the LG assignments by now having played next door at LT all these years and it would be a smooth transition.  Perhaps a way to extend his career, much like a CB that switches to FS.  Move Vollmer to LT and draft a strong, run-blocking behemoth like Carimi to be your RT.  Then you have Kazcur coming back to provide depth at both LG and RT.  Carimi should be available at #28, which would allow them to select either Kerrigan/Watt/J. Jones at #17. 

I'm going to assume they trade down from #33 and add a future 2nd round pick like they do every year.  That still leaves the possibility for guys like Jeremy Beal, Randall Cobb, Moffitt and Brooks Reed in the 2nd round. 

Thoughts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]With regard to Light and Mankins, if Logan is set free and leaves for greener pastures, I could see the Pats re-signing Light and moving him to LG.  If you recall, Light played LG at Purdue and was transitioned to LT.  I'm sure he knows all the LG assignments by now having played next door at LT all these years and it would be a smooth transition.  Perhaps a way to extend his career, much like a CB that switches to FS.  Move Vollmer to LT and draft a strong, run-blocking behemoth like Carimi to be your RT.  Then you have Kazcur coming back to provide depth at both LG and RT.  Carimi should be available at #28, which would allow them to select either Kerrigan/Watt/J. Jones at #17.  I'm going to assume they trade down from #33 and add a future 2nd round pick like they do every year.  That still leaves the possibility for guys like Jeremy Beal, Randall Cobb, Moffitt and Brooks Reed in the 2nd round.  Thoughts?
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]
    That is such an interesting idea.  Light and Mankins are just about identical in size. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

How bout this scenario;

17 - Kerrigan OLB
    28 - Ingram RB
    33 - Phil Taylor DE
    60 - Hankerson WR
    74 - Wisniewski OL
    92 - Beal OLB
    4th - DB
    5th - OL
    6th - DB

Tag Mankins, resign Light & BJGE.  If possible trade Meriweather for a 2nd or early 3rd and draft either Rahim Moore or Ras-I Dowling at FS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]With regard to Light and Mankins, if Logan is set free and leaves for greener pastures, I could see the Pats re-signing Light and moving him to LG.  If you recall, Light played LG at Purdue and was transitioned to LT.  I'm sure he knows all the LG assignments by now having played next door at LT all these years and it would be a smooth transition.  Perhaps a way to extend his career, much like a CB that switches to FS.  Move Vollmer to LT and draft a strong, run-blocking behemoth like Carimi to be your RT.  Then you have Kazcur coming back to provide depth at both LG and RT.  Carimi should be available at #28, which would allow them to select either Kerrigan/Watt/J. Jones at #17.  I'm going to assume they trade down from #33 and add a future 2nd round pick like they do every year.  That still leaves the possibility for guys like Jeremy Beal, Randall Cobb, Moffitt and Brooks Reed in the 2nd round.  Thoughts?
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

Yes, the idea on Light moving to LG is an interesting idea if we lose Mankins. It gives us flexibility drafting because we could draft a G or RT, and not feel pressured to draft a stud LT in round 1. I like this. I still think possibly drafting a G later is important.  

And, I lilke your 2nd round thoughts. I think Beal and Cobb will be around early to mid 3rd round. MOffitt I think goes 2nd and Reed could go mid-late second depending on how he does at the combine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Give them two of the following and our OLB position improves dramatically:Quinn,Kerrigan,Houston,Smith,Brooks,Ayers,Acho,Beal and Wright.One among the top three picks and one late third to late fourth round.On the OL,bring in the kids from Wisconsin,Carimi(who was born to play for the Pats,versitile and mean)at 17 and Moffitt in the third round even if the Pats and Mankins can swallow their egos and get it done.The guard from Nebraska,Henry, could be a still be there in the fourth or even fifth round and he might be the most under-rated OL in the draft.A quick aside,I'd be very happy if they sign Nicks(G),Marshall(CB)and Leonard(RB).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]How bout this scenario; 17 - Kerrigan OLB 28 - Ingram RB 33 - Phil Taylor DE 60 - Hankerson WR 74 - Wisniewski OL 92 - Beal OLB 4th - DB 5th - OL 6th - DB Tag Mankins, resign Light & BJGE.  If possible trade Meriweather for a 2nd or early 3rd and draft either Rahim Moore or Ras-I Dowling at FS.
    Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you mentioned a RB.  I was thinking that what a luxury for us if we decide to use a top 3 pick on a stud RB.  I doubt BB would do it.  But, he might for the right one.  I think Ingram is probably going to end up in Miami but what about Mikel LaShoure?  At 6-0, 230 and 4.53 he brings a little more explosiveness and short yard toughness than the 5-11, 215, 4.60 Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis.  It might take 33 or even 28 to get him, just throwing out the possibility as we haven't talked about this guy much. 

As for Mankins, I think we will tag him but more than likely we will tag then trade him as I think he made it pretty clear that he would not be happy and would hold out if tagged.  Another thought that worries me is Fairley or Dareus going to the Bills.  I'm especially worried about Fairley going to Buffalo.  Fairley is a dirty player and I could totally see him taking Brady out.  We better address our interior line if we lose Mankins.  Fairley will throw Koppen and Connolly around like rag dolls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

are you guys seeing this from boston.com:

Union says it will challenge any franchise tags

if the players union diggs it's heels in.....
    in the best interest of both to sign a new agreement before march 4. but it currently looks like both sides are going to play hardball.

thoughts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Interesting that you mentioned a RB.  I was thinking that what a luxury for us if we decide to use a top 3 pick on a stud RB.  I doubt BB would do it.  But, he might for the right one.  I think Ingram is probably going to end up in Miami but what about Mikel LaShoure?  At 6-0, 230 and 4.53 he brings a little more explosiveness and short yard toughness than the 5-11, 215, 4.60 Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis.  It might take 33 or even 28 to get him, just throwing out the possibility as we haven't talked about this guy much.  As for Mankins, I think we will tag him but more than likely we will tag then trade him as I think he made it pretty clear that he would not be happy and would hold out if tagged.  Another thought that worries me is Fairley or Dareus going to the Bills.  I'm especially worried about Fairley going to Buffalo.  Fairley is a dirty player and I could totally see him taking Brady out.  We better address our interior line if we lose Mankins.  Fairley will throw Koppen and Connolly around like rag dolls.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I don't think Fairley is going to the Bills. They will most likely take Dareus based on where they are drafting. There is even a chance they don't take him and trade down possibly.
    Leshoure would be an interesting pick and one I would totally support. I think he goes somewhere in the 33-40 range. I don't see him slipping too far beyond that if any. We can have him at 33, or trade down a few and grab him as well. I think 28 is too high for him, and wouldn't want to burn a 1st on a RB unless he's the second coming of Barry Sanders.

The Mankins situation is tough to read. He says he won't play if tagged or more precisely won't be happy. If we did tag him, who are potential trade partners fo him? Do you see any guard hungry teams where we could possibly trade him and pick up a 2nd and possibly 4th for him? I don't see any team giving up a 1st unless it's a very late one, but maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I like Clayborn but don't see him as a 3-4 OLB. I think he is more a 4-3 DE, possibly a stretch to play 3-4 DE, but a bit too light. I don't think he has the speed or quickness to be a conversion OLB, but I don't know a ton about him either, just what I saw in a few games and via video.   Is there somethign specifically you have seen that leads you to believe he can make the conversion?

In addition to his strength against the run and the variety of his pass-rush moves, I was also impressed by the plays that he chased down the running backs and blocked a punt and returned it for a TD.  He seems to be quick enough to play in space.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I like Clayborn but don't see him as a 3-4 OLB. I think he is more a 4-3 DE, possibly a stretch to play 3-4 DE, but a bit too light. I don't think he has the speed or quickness to be a conversion OLB, but I don't know a ton about him either, just what I saw in a few games and via video.   Is there somethign specifically you have seen that leads you to believe he can make the conversion?

i don't know how fast he is but i think he's the type of player that the steelers woud put on olb.  insane pass rusher and relentless at pursuing the rb running tot he opposite sideline yet good at sniffing out play action and screens. does my fist sentence make him not a fit in the pats system? i hope not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I don't think Fairley is going to the Bills. They will most likely take Dareus based on where they are drafting. There is even a chance they don't take him and trade down possibly. Leshoure would be an interesting pick and one I would totally support. I think he goes somewhere in the 33-40 range. I don't see him slipping too far beyond that if any. We can have him at 33, or trade down a few and grab him as well. I think 28 is too high for him, and wouldn't want to burn a 1st on a RB unless he's the second coming of Barry Sanders. The Mankins situation is tough to read. He says he won't play if tagged or more precisely won't be happy. If we did tag him, who are potential trade partners fo him? Do you see any guard hungry teams where we could possibly trade him and pick up a 2nd and possibly 4th for him? I don't see any team giving up a 1st unless it's a very late one, but maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.
    An obvious choice would be Oakland.  They need an OG and they don't have a first.  I doubt they would give up their 2nd this year but perhaps a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year or something along those lines.  Mankins is from No. Cal. so he would likely want to go there and be close to his ranch.  SF is set as is SD but Seattle really needs a guard and that would at least get him on the west coast and a 1 hour plane ride.  Arizona and Dallas might be attractive to him too.

Without a new CBA, there is no tag.  There is also no free agency but there will be a draft.  Goodell vowed to take a pay cut from $10MM to $1 if a new deal isn't in place by March 4 (which incidentally is my birthday, I like fine scotch, single malt, Macallan 18 would be nice for those of you, especially Mb, looking for birthday ideas, lol).  If there is a lock out and it extends past the draft and approaches the late June, early July time frame, all players could be frozen with their current team.  Mankins is sure to love that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : i don't know how fast he is but i think he's the type of player that the steelers woud put on olb.  insane pass rusher and relentless at pursuing the rb running tot he opposite sideline yet good at sniffing out play action and screens. does my fist sentence make him not a fit in the pats system? i hope not.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    In fairness to Lifer, he isn't completely out in left field on Clayborn but I agree with you Seattle, that he isn't likely going to be a OLB.  However, since we are in sub packages most of the time which usually mean 4 or 5 on the DL, Clayborn suddenly becomes very attractive.  Let's remember, he was the highest rated DL in the country for most of the season and a top 5 pick.  If he's lingering around at 28 or 33 he certainly should be at least be considered as a rush 43 DE in our sub game.

By the way, I'll be up in Issaquah next Friday visiting a customer if you want to grab a beer. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Holy crap. I was just reading a list of the top 592 prospects by a National Post Football wirter (in the draftdaddy.com blog) and he has Jeremy Beal listed as the 356th best prospect. I know talent is in the eye of the beholder but that is just freaky given how many want us to take Beal with one of our top picks.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]
    Beal is certainly way better than that.  Those guys should get their heads out of their arses.  Beal doesn't get out of the third round in the worst case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I just can't get the idea of JJ Watt coming to NE out of my head.  I watched 5 or 6 of his games.  I studied him, watched interviews, read stories such as the below and everything about the young man screams, "Patriot."  Keep in mind, this kid was a TE two years ago and came out of nowhere.  His star is on the rise and he hasn't reached his full potential.  I'm back on the Watt train...  enjoy the story.

Wisconsin fans, you probably won't see anything like this for a long, long time.

It doesn't make you feel much better about losing star J.J. Watt to the NFL draft. But Watt's rise from MAC tight end to Badger walk-on to All-American defensive end to early draft entrant is incredibly rare.

Watt announced Thursday that
    he will forgo his senior season at Wisconsin and enter the draft. After the season he had, it's hard to argue with his decision.

No Big Ten defender made more big plays this fall than Watt, who ranked third nationally in tackles for loss (21) and recorded every statistic except safety for the Badgers. His stock rose rapidly, and there likely would be more risk than reward -- strictly from a draft perspective -- to staying for another year.

"If I didn't have such a love for this university, for this school and for the game of college football, it would be a little bit of an easier decision," Watt told me last month. "But at the same time, in these economic times, when there's an opportunity to make some money, you almost have to take it. We'll see where we stand, and I have a number in my mind of what I'm hoping the [NFL draft advisory board] will say."

Watt clearly got the number he was hoping for, and it's hard to see him falling below the first round in April's draft.

I certainly got the sense Watt would depart after the Rose Bowl loss, which he took extremely hard. His love for Wisconsin is genuine, but the NFL affords him financial security and the base from which to build his foundation.

Watt wrote an open letter to Wisconsin fans, which reads in part:
    This has, without a doubt, been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and it is one that was not reached quickly, or easily. At this time, I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft. It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to play in the National Football League, and through hard work and dedication, that dream finally has a chance to become a reality.
    I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life and am forever grateful for all of the love and support that the fans, administration and community have shown to my family and I during my time in Madison. I could not have asked for better coaches to play for, better teammates to play alongside, or a better fan base to represent throughout my collegiate career."

Just a total class act. I'll miss covering him.

Watt's departure certainly hurts Wisconsin's defensive line, which needs Louis Nzegwu, David Gilbert and others to step up in 2011. The Badgers soon will have a new defensive coordinator, and I expect Bret Bielema to promote from within the staff.

A lot of changes in Madison, and more could come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Faucetman I hope that Mankins is still with the Patriots next season no matter which method is used. Tag,re-signed,or frozen on the roster! I also want them to keep Light,that would allow the Patriots to concentrate on other areas of need. I don't see them trading away Merriweather as has been suggested on numerous posts,even though he's a terrible tackler and takes the wrong routes to ball carriers a lot,he's young and he hits his target and pain follows! In a month I'll be better informed as to the direction of the draft for the Patriots by that time,untill then i will keep reading all the speculations by all who write on this post.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

did you guys read the whole article at boston.com
    the players and the union may be in court fighting to have the tag made null and void if there is no cba. ie they are going to court for, what for mankins, would be unrestricetd free agent status (after march 4) with no ability for the team to to tag and sign or tag and trade.

if we stay pat on o line, we will have the same problems next year with brady getting creamed and with tough d's potentially shutting us down a la, jets playoff, giants sb, etc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I think we should trade #'s 17, 60, and 74 to get up into the 7-8 range and select OLB Robert Quinn.  Had he played this season, he would've been a top 5 pick.  We would still have #'s 28 and 30 to play around with and get great players.

And honestly, what in the world are we going to do with #'s 60 and 74 anyways?  We already have the depth needed from all the 2nd rounders used in the past years.  We need to ebb and flow this draft.  We can't always be moving back year after year, it's time we move up and draft an impact player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : In fairness to Lifer, he isn't completely out in left field on Clayborn but I agree with you Seattle, that he isn't likely going to be a OLB.  However, since we are in sub packages most of the time which usually mean 4 or 5 on the DL, Clayborn suddenly becomes very attractive.  Let's remember, he was the highest rated DL in the country for most of the season and a top 5 pick.  If he's lingering around at 28 or 33 he certainly should be at least be considered as a rush 43 DE in our sub game. By the way, I'll be up in Issaquah next Friday visiting a customer if you want to grab a beer. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I suggested that Clayborn is not a 3-4 OLB, and more of a 4-3 DE. You bring up a good point regarding subpackages, and Clayborn's value, but I guess this brings us back to "the" question...Do we draft for the base 3-4 and consider how players would fit in in subpackages ala Clayborn, or do we draft considering we are in subpackages more of the time than the base 3-4 and find talent to fit it?

This is a question I struggled with for some time, but I think the answer is we draft with consideration for the 3-4, espeically along the line, because a 3-4 DE like Seymour, TWarren or GWarren can play inside / out in a 4-3 or 5 man line. I don't think we can make teh same staement other way around, meaning if you draft a smaller 4-3 DE type, that they can necessarily play 3-4 DE or OLB...I know some can, but the question of Clayborn moving to 3-4 OLB, I'm not sure he makes the conversion. Not saying the guy doesn't have value, but if we are drafting for a pure 3-4 DE or OLB, I think there are others that fit the mold better than Clayborn.
    If the guy is hanging around in 28-33 land, maybe we take a shot on him, but again, I just don't see him playing 3-4 OLB. Even for the Steelers, this guy is heavy if you consider how he compares to Harrison (240lbs) and Woodley (265), and he runs somewhere in a 4.8-4.9 range. I haven't seem him cover anyone, so I can't comment.

He falls into the same category as Jordan almost..similar sizes, and there are a lot of these guys that are good in this draft in the 6'2"-6"4", 260-285lb range.