2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Faucetman I hope that Mankins is still with the Patriots next season no matter which method is used. Tag,re-signed,or frozen on the roster! I also want them to keep Light,that would allow the Patriots to concentrate on other areas of need. I don't see them trading away Merriweather as has been suggested on numerous posts,even though he's a terrible tackler and takes the wrong routes to ball carriers a lot,he's young and he hits his target and pain follows! In a month I'll be better informed as to the direction of the draft for the Patriots by that time,untill then i will keep reading all the speculations by all who write on this post.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
    I hope Mankins and Light return as well.  I'm just reading the tea leaves on Mankins.  If the Pats feel they can't sign him, they would rather move him and get something of value in return than to just let him walk.  If they tag him and he holds out, they will eventually be forced to give him the deal they gave Samuel, play and we won't tag you again.  This would be their last choice because the most they could get would be a 2013 3rd round comp pick.  They would rather tag him then get him to agree to a trade so Mankins would have to be a willing participant.  The team would have to pick up the tag price then redo his contract and all of this would have to be worked out in advance. 

This whole thing is stupid.  The sides are only about $1.5MM apart.  Mankins deserves Jahri Evans money since they both are All Pros.  Unless the Pats have a bigger F/A target in mind, they have plenty of room under the cap (assuming there is one) to keep Mankins and Light.  But no matter what, they need to draft an interior OL type to replace Neal.  If Mankins leaves, they should really draft two of them.  I wouldn't mind seeing us get Watkins then one of Moffitt, Hudson, or Wisniewski.  If we keep Light we can avoid drafting an OT altogether but drafting Watkins at least gives us depth at OT since he can play there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]granted, but I did see both Beal and Ayers against Texas last year and think both are way overrated. They both have high talent and capability to make spectacular plays but both also lack consistent physical effort. Give me Herzlich any day of the week.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]
    I'm not high on either of them.  Ayers had 4 sacks last year and something like 6 as a sophomore which was supposedly his break out season.  I only saw him play once against Oregon and he was lazy in the blow-out.  I don't understand why all the draft sites have him in the middle of the first round.  Yes he has size and speed but I don't see any heart and I don't see the production in the Pac-10 worthy of his apparent ranking.  For me, Ayers has bust written all over him.  I could be totally wrong because I only saw him once. 

I'm not as high on Herzlich as most people are on here.  He doesn't seem like the same player and while he does appear to be getting healthier, he didn't really impress me during Senior Bowl week and I watched all the practices. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]did you guys read the whole article at boston.com the players and the union may be in court fighting to have the tag made null and void if there is no cba. ie they are going to court for, what for mankins, would be unrestricetd free agent status (after march 4) with no ability for the team to to tag and sign or tag and trade. if we stay pat on o line, we will have the same problems next year with brady getting creamed and with tough d's potentially shutting us down a la, jets playoff, giants sb, etc.
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]
    If there is no CBA, forget about the tag.  There is no free agency.  I read a story that said every player will be frozen with their current team until there is  a CBA.  If there is no deal done by March 4, the lockout officially begins.  This means no teams will be talking to any player including their own.  Free Agency normally begins before the draft on the first day of the new NFL year, which is March 4 and runs into I think late June or early July.  The top F/A are usually signed before the draft.  If there is no CBA by the draft, teams may assume that their current free agents will be frozen.  If a CBA gets done too late like around training camp, part of the CBA will likely be that there is no free agency period for the year and each F/A remains on his old team at his 2010 salary. 

I only saw this reported once, but it makes sense.  It would be utter chaos to allow F/A after the draft.  Normally teams have a 2 week grace period where only they can talk to their own free agents, then there is the deadline to tag.  Even if the tag is struck down by the courts, players still cannot become free agents if the owners have locked them out.  I can't imagine there being a free agency period post draft because teams have no idea which of their free agents they will be losing so won't know who they should be drafting.  If the CBA doesn't get down reasonably soon but at least a few weeks before the draft, this is going to get crazy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I think we should trade #'s 17, 60, and 74 to get up into the 7-8 range and select OLB Robert Quinn.  Had he played this season, he would've been a top 5 pick.  We would still have #'s 28 and 30 to play around with and get great players. And honestly, what in the world are we going to do with #'s 60 and 74 anyways?  We already have the depth needed from all the 2nd rounders used in the past years.  We need to ebb and flow this draft.  We can't always be moving back year after year, it's time we move up and draft an impact player.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]
    3 prime picks for a player who was suspended all of last year?  I could see 2 picks possibly if we are totally comfortable that Quinn has changed and matured.  Accepting gold watches and losing an entire season was plain stupid and shows complete lack of judgement.  Do we want to take this big of a gamble on the kid?  I don't think so, not considering how much money we'd be paying him.  We'd be taking him higher than Mayo, top 8 pick.  I'd rather go after Von Miller, at least he's clean off the field.  ...and we do need those picks if we are losing Mankins and Light.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll be the rain on the parade guy or voice of reason (whatever you prefer), but Adrian Clayborn is listed at 286 pounds, if he's close to that he will not be a 3-4 OLB.  Adrian Clayborn is DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme with the possibility to kick inside in a 4-3.

It's to the point where every player with experience rushing the passer is being considered for the 3-4 OLB position regardless of whether they have the preferred size/skill needed to play the position or not.  I'm not buying him as similar to McGinest as Willie was listed at 270 which is a lot lighter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with you Faucet on the Mankins situation. If we are only $1.5M apart, it should be a no brainer. Remember how far apart we were on Branch a few years back? something equally as stupid. Same with Gaffney. How did that turn out for us? I would have liked to have Branch in that 2006 AFC championship game.

Anyway, I think we have to sign either Mankins or Light, but preferably both. I would still draft a G as you suggest to replace Neal, and possibly a RT later in the draft as depth.
    On the flipside of it....If Mankins walked and we drafted Wisneiwski, how confident are you he could step in and perform at an acceptable level? that would free a ton of cash up for FA's.

Although I don't want Mankins to leave, I'm trying to consider this thing from varoius angles as I'm sure BB is. I don't think it's that hard to grab a good G in this draft who can step in for Mankins and perform similarliy. Not saying he's all pro day 1, but as long as he holds his own.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I do believe we will trade down certainly from pick 33 and possibly 28.  But I think we stay at 17 and take an impact player on defense.  I don't think we can count on Ty Warren to return to form (hopefully he does), but hip can be tough.  Deaderick needs to mature as a person and Mike Wright is always getting hurt.  A concussion that took him out for half the season sounds pretty serious.  He might not come back.  Brace is a back up NT and Pryor is a 43 DT.  For all these reasons, I'm going with.

#17  JJ Watt
    #28  Mikel LeShoure
    #33  Derek Sherrod
    #60  Brooks Reed
    #74  Danny Watkins - his talent says higher, but his age makes him slip
    #92  Niles Paul

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I just can't get the idea of JJ Watt coming to NE out of my head.  I watched 5 or 6 of his games.  I studied him, watched interviews, read stories such as the below and everything about the young man screams, "Patriot."  Keep in mind, this kid was a TE two years ago and came out of nowhere.  His star is on the rise and he hasn't reached his full potential.  I'm back on the Watt train...  enjoy the story. Wisconsin fans, you probably won't see anything like this for a long, long time. It doesn't make you feel much better about losing star J.J. Watt to the NFL draft. But Watt's rise from MAC tight end to Badger walk-on to All-American defensive end to early draft entrant is incredibly rare. Watt announced Thursday that he will forgo his senior season at Wisconsin and enter the draft . After the season he had, it's hard to argue with his decision. No Big Ten defender made more big plays this fall than Watt, who ranked third nationally in tackles for loss (21) and recorded every statistic except safety for the Badgers. His stock rose rapidly, and there likely would be more risk than reward -- strictly from a draft perspective -- to staying for another year. "If I didn't have such a love for this university, for this school and for the game of college football, it would be a little bit of an easier decision," Watt told me last month. "But at the same time, in these economic times, when there's an opportunity to make some money, you almost have to take it. We'll see where we stand, and I have a number in my mind of what I'm hoping the [NFL draft advisory board] will say." Watt clearly got the number he was hoping for, and it's hard to see him falling below the first round in April's draft. I certainly got the sense Watt would depart after the Rose Bowl loss, which he took extremely hard. His love for Wisconsin is genuine, but the NFL affords him financial security and the base from which to build his foundation. Watt wrote an open letter to Wisconsin fans, which reads in part: This has, without a doubt, been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and it is one that was not reached quickly, or easily. At this time, I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft. It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to play in the National Football League, and through hard work and dedication, that dream finally has a chance to become a reality. I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life and am forever grateful for all of the love and support that the fans, administration and community have shown to my family and I during my time in Madison. I could not have asked for better coaches to play for, better teammates to play alongside, or a better fan base to represent throughout my collegiate career." Just a total class act. I'll miss covering him. Watt's departure certainly hurts Wisconsin's defensive line, which needs Louis Nzegwu, David Gilbert and others to step up in 2011. The Badgers soon will have a new defensive coordinator, and I expect Bret Bielema to promote from within the staff. A lot of changes in Madison, and more could come.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I too hope he's availabe at 17 as I think he's the most logical fit for NE's scheme/organization and fits a huge need.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I do believe we will trade down certainly from pick 33 and possibly 28.  But I think we stay at 17 and take an impact player on defense.  I don't think we can count on Ty Warren to return to form (hopefully he does), but hip can be tough.  Deaderick needs to mature as a person and Mike Wright is always getting hurt.  A concussion that took him out for half the season sounds pretty serious.  He might not come back.  Brace is a back up NT and Pryor is a 43 DT.  For all these reasons, I'm going with. #17  JJ Watt #28  Mikel LeShoure #33  Derek Sherrod #60  Brooks Reed #74  Danny Watkins - his talent says higher, but his age makes him slip #92  Niles Paul

I think your analysis of what who/what we have on the Dline is right on...a bit depressing if you think about it, but accurate.

I agree with you that we need to desperrately add quality starting players along the Dline. I'm on board with Watt, or another DL prospect at #17.

I am warming up more on Leshoure. I think he would be a nice compliment to our current stable. 28 seems a bit high although I have seen him anywhere from 25-40 across various mocks. So, maybe 28 is ok, or perhaps we trade it down to 32 or 34?
    Niles Paul is a new name to this board. I don't think I've seen anyone mock him in previous posts, but perhaps I missed something. I like his size, and think 92 is probably where he goes. I think Austin Pettis could be hanging around about the 80-90 range. Possibly a slight trade up to land Pettis? OR, Would you take Paul over Pettis?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Agreed Mb.  Watt would be perfect and I feel like he has the frame to add 15 lbs of muscle once he gets NFL weight training.  He was a TE two years ago so he hasn't come close to reaching his potential as a DE.  He is already explosive and makes big plays, lots of TFL, lots of batted balls, forced fumbles, etc.

If we miss out on him, I would be fine with Jordan or Heyward but rather see Heyward at 28.  I know he had an off year but I think he played hurt.  He was a beast in his bowl game and I think that's who he really is, a beast!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : I think your analysis of what who/what we have on the Dline is right on...a bit depressing if you think about it, but accurate. I agree with you that we need to desperrately add quality starting players along the Dline. I'm on board with Watt, or another DL prospect at #17. I am warming up more on Leshoure. I think he would be a nice compliment to our current stable. 28 seems a bit high although I have seen him anywhere from 25-40 across various mocks. So, maybe 28 is ok, or perhaps we trade it down to 32 or 34? Niles Paul is a new name to this board. I don't think I've seen anyone mock him in previous posts, but perhaps I missed something. I like his size, and think 92 is probably where he goes. I think Austin Pettis could be hanging around about the 80-90 range. Possibly a slight trade up to land Pettis? OR, Would you take Paul over Pettis?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    If you asked me who I liked better during the season I would have said Pettis over Paul but Paul really impressed me Senior Bowl week.  Paul isn't quite as tall but he is more physical and faster than Pettis.  Paul was the main guy at Nebraska where Pettis shared the limelight with Titus Young.  Boise was more of a pass first team where Nebraska with Taylor Martinez was a run first team. 

Pettis had 71 catches for 951 yards and 10 TDs with a long of 58 while Paul had just 39 catches for 516 and 1 TD long of 33.  But there is no question Paul could have done a lot more in a different offense.  The lack of production might allow him to slip to the 4th round which I'd like better but I do think he's worth pick 92.  The real question is, do we need him or is Taylor Price ready to step up?  I really do not like Tate as a WR and think he could totally be upgraded.  Paul is similar to Price in size but Price is much faster and more capable of stretching the field. 

I'm throwing LeShoure's name out there recently.  Pick 33 is probably a better spot for him than 28.  I'm starting to think as Brady ages, we should expect less of him carrying the offense and give him a real weapon at RB.  I think Woody fits the 3rd down spot nicely and BJGE had a great season but I think we should and could do better.  LeShoure has the size and speed advantage and he could be more productive in the 1,400 yard range.  He would be a luxury but one we can afford.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I have had my opinion change on a number of players, some improved and some went down. Now, while this isn't scientific, I'll share my opinion on several guys we have talked about.

Ryan Kerrigan...loved him at first, his stats and motor were great all year long. He would be a good Patriot, but his performance in the senior bowl left a bit to be desired. I need to see some really good numbers at the combine to think athletically, he can hang with the others.

Cameron Jordan....wasn't all that impressed with him for the majority of the year. Saw a few games film that wasn't that great, but he really turned it on at the senior bowl and was almost unblockable, against what seems to be the best lineman coming out. Worry about guys that have no known injury, but are inconsistent.

Adrian Clayborn...being a big Iowa fan, he had a monster junior year, but was somewhat overshadowed by Christian Ballard this year, who could be had a round later, with potentially the same production. I'm less enthused about Clayborn than Jordan or Heyward...

Who Faucet just mentioned above. I think you are spot on as he really came alive towards the end of the year...against Iowa and in their bowl game and I think he was injured.

JJ Watt has impressed me all year long. While I won't say he will have a "Suh-like" impact, as I don't think he will, he does have a great motor and is smart. He doesn't seem to take plays off. If he isn't going to get to the QB, he gets his big paws up...plays smart like we like our Pat's players to play. I also think he has room to improve, so he hasn't hit his ceiling. I think all of the others are what they are...but Watt could be even better than he displayed this year.

I'm intrigued by Muhammed Wilkerson, but I don't know enough about him...his work ethic, his character, etc. The combine will help a bit there, but I would defer to others on him.

For defensive lineman we have a chance to get at 17, my rankings would be
    Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Ballard/Wlikerson/Clayborn.

On the OLB's, no one really has separated themselves, other than Von Miller. Not impressed with Ayers (have seen him take plays off). Not impressed with Herzlich (great story, great person, but I really don't see him having enough...maybe a flyer in the later rounds, but someone will fall in love with him before they should)

Beal has the size, but hasn't wowed me either. Justin Houston and Aldon Smith are probably my top OLB prospect for late one, early round two. Houston has better numbers on the field against SEC competition, so I would take him.

Personally, I would challenge the Steelers for the services of Lamarr Woodley if there is any chance to get him. What would you give up for him...#28, #33? Would one of those get it done?

I like the idea of getting two additional lineman, as well. My top picks are Carimi, Costanzo, then Tyron Smith (only if we still have Light and/or Mankins) so he can add some weight. Later rounds, I like Watkins and Moffitt. I think age will push Watkins down, but he is a top talent. 

I also am a fan of LeShoure, but I can't imagine taking him over a possible defensive player in the slot you would need to to get him. Would rather roll with BJGE and Woody, with a F/A pickup.  

Great forum, with great discussions and opinions....some semblance of which, might happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : If you asked me who I liked better during the season I would have said Pettis over Paul but Paul really impressed me Senior Bowl week.  Paul isn't quite as tall but he is more physical and faster than Pettis.  Paul was the main guy at Nebraska where Pettis shared the limelight with Titus Young.  Boise was more of a pass first team where Nebraska with Taylor Martinez was a run first team.  Pettis had 71 catches for 951 yards and 10 TDs with a long of 58 while Paul had just 39 catches for 516 and 1 TD long of 33.  But there is no question Paul could have done a lot more in a different offense.  The lack of production might allow him to slip to the 4th round which I'd like better but I do think he's worth pick 92.  The real question is, do we need him or is Taylor Price ready to step up?  I really do not like Tate as a WR and think he could totally be upgraded.  Paul is similar to Price in size but Price is much faster and more capable of stretching the field.  I'm throwing LeShoure's name out there recently.  Pick 33 is probably a better spot for him than 28.  I'm starting to think as Brady ages, we should expect less of him carrying the offense and give him a real weapon at RB.  I think Woody fits the 3rd down spot nicely and BJGE had a great season but I think we should and could do better.  LeShoure has the size and speed advantage and he could be more productive in the 1,400 yard range.  He would be a luxury but one we can afford.

Even with Price, I still think there is room on this roster for a WR. I don't have any faith in Tate developing beyond what we have seen, and his KR duty has been just OK. Sure we saw some flashes, but I wasn't too impressed with him overall.

The question is if Pettis or Paul or say another WR (possibly draft or FA) are brought in, who do we cut? I don't think BB would move on Tate just yet, and I think Edelman has value, espeically with Welker close to end of his contract and his age. Slater has ST value, but is that enough? If we draft Leshoure, perhaps we carry 3 RB's instead of 4, that would make room for another WR.  

My worry with both Paul and Pettis is, "are they capable of being #1 type receivers?" I think we have a bunch of good #2's, 3's and 4's, but I still don't see a true gamechanger. I'm not looking for a guy to catch 60 yard bombs every game, just someone who can make the defense play honest and commit a safety once and a while, basically respect our intermediate to long game.

I think the drafting of Leshoure would be a brilliant move by the Pats. I think he can be had with pick 33, but not far from that. THat means if he really is a target, we need to take him at 33, or possibly very close to that. Could we see Leshoure being drafted ahead of Ingram?

Watt at 17 is a no brainer. Same with Leshoure around 33, although I'm warming up to him at 28. I think 28 or 33 will be traded, and we draft at 17.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I just rewatched the Texas Bowl with Illinois and Baylor.  LeShoure had a monster game, 29/184/3 TDs.  Martez Wilson looked excellent in coverage and run support.  For Baylor, Danny Watkins looked pretty solid at Left Tackle.  Phil Taylor was quite for much of the game but made a couple of nice plays in the 2nd half.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed Mb.  Watt would be perfect and I feel like he has the frame to add 15 lbs of muscle once he gets NFL weight training.  He was a TE two years ago so he hasn't come close to reaching his potential as a DE.  He is already explosive and makes big plays, lots of TFL, lots of batted balls, forced fumbles, etc. If we miss out on him, I would be fine with Jordan or Heyward but rather see Heyward at 28.  I know he had an off year but I think he played hurt.  He was a beast in his bowl game and I think that's who he really is, a beast!

Watt Now???

Faucet, I was critical of your JJ for his lackluster game ve Horned Frogs and all-American OT Marcus Cannon, but must say his body of work for Badgers is impressive.  On reflecting on Pats shocking departure from the playoffs - and that we beat both teams competing in the Super Bowl - and considering that all four teams in the AFC and NFC Championship games had outstanding defenses, I think we all know the Pats achilles heal is a weak D.  We badly need DLine and OLBs!

I am not confident Ty Warren, at 30 and coming off hip surgery, or Wright, or Ron Brace or Pryor are the answers.  I also believe Cunningham and Ninkovich are average players.  THe O is fine, but D needs a lot to contend for the Super!

My Draft

#17 - JJ Watt (your boy), if gone Cameron Jordan

#28 - Jeremy Beal OLB Oklahoma, excellent size speed pass rush

#33 Mohammad Wilkerson - DT/DE Temple - great size 6'5" 310 lbs, quick as a cat! (if BB peddles this pick and I hope he does not, I want Wilkerson at #28 and we get OLB below)

#56 Brooks Reed - OLB Az - great senior bowl tough to block - see MB's reviews re this players high worth.

3rd Round from the Vikes
    OG John Moffit of Wisc or John Boren Ohio State or Watkins of Baylor, in that order of preference

Pats 3rd - I love the Louisville Cardinals here!
    Johnny Patrick CB - can go man-to-man or zone, fine speed and knack for the ball  - my boy -or Balial Powell - RB makes big plays, excellent combo of size spped toughness - another MB boy!

Pats 4th - let's get a center here - Jake Kirkpatrick of TCU or Kevin Kowlaski of Toledo, both outstanding centers and abour 6'2 or 3 and 300 lbs

Pats 5 - WR Edmund Gates of Abilene Christian - great speed and hands from small school

In free agency for Pats players, we should franchise Logan M; keep Matt Light for 2 more seasons, sign BenJarvus, resign Safety Jarrod Page, resign Gerals Warren for DLine, and Kevin Faulk if healthy for 1 more year.

Other teams - look for RB Brian Leonard, ex-Rutgers star, now of Bungles to become a good Pats player.  Possible interest in LB Peterson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Kraft made some comments that he hope Mankins will be a Patriot for a very long time.  He said the same thing during the dark hours of the Vince Wilfork negotiations.  When the guy signing the checks says something like this, this means to me that Mankins will be tagged and then a new deal reached.  This is very encouraging.

Here's a piece that ran in the Globe about the tag and the union's challenge of it.  It appears the tag will be used starting on 2/10 and teams have until March 4 to possibly sign their players.  I'm not sure when free agency begins.  It seems like it could begin before the lockout.  Anybody know?

DALLAS – Barring some sort of court challenge by the players’ union – and it would likely be fruitless -- NFL teams will be able to use the franchise and/or transition tags in eight days.

There has been some discrepancy on whether the tags could be used this year and applied to the 2011 season, mostly from the union side.

But NFL senior vice president and general counsel Peter Rucco, who is one of the league’s in-house CBA wonks, said today that the league has told teams they can apply the tags in a 14-day window beginning Feb. 10.

“The CBA hasn’t expired and the CBA has the right to franchise players so we are telling clubs that you have the right to franchise players and then depending on what the new agreement says, that will take into account,” Rucco said. “Neither party is proposing to get rid of the franchise tag. But as far as we’re concerned, clubs have the right to tag players, the agreement continues with the same terms and conditions that it has been; it isn’t expiring until March 4 and the window to franchise players is 14 days. From our standpoint, you have every right to franchise players.”

The league’s decision on this matter will likely have a huge impact on Patriots guard Logan Mankins, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. The Patriots will likely tag Mankins and then either work out a contract extension when a new CBA is in place, or let him play the reason for the roughly $10 million an offensive lineman would earn under a tag. Mankins made $1.54 million in 2010 after the Patriots replaced his $3.268 million original tender because he failed to sign it by the deadline.

The league has told teams the tag rules would be the same as they were in the 2010 uncapped league year: one franchise and/or one transition tag at their disposal. In capped years, each team could use either a franchise or transition tag, but not both.

Asked why the league wouldn’t wait until a new agreement is in place, Rucco said, “because the window to tag them is now. The opportunity to tag them is now, before the agreement expires, that’s the way CBA reads. If you’re going to tender a franchise tag, you have to do it in a 14-day window before the CBA expires.”

Rucco said he wouldn’t be surprised if the union challenged the use of the franchise tag this year.

“They seem to challenge a lot of things but I don’t know what they’ll do,” he said.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

did you guys see this:

union may push agents and perspective players (all of them) to not work out for teams, go to the combine or even to the draft. see below

NFL players union and agents discussing boycott of draft activities

DALLAS | The NFL players union has discussed a boycott of NFL draft activities — including the scouting combine later this month — with player agents.

Several people familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Friday that the union suggested keeping potential 2011 draft picks away from the combine in Indianapolis if there is no new collective-bargaining agreement. The current agreement expires March 3.

Some agents expressed their concerns to the NFL Network, which initially reported the story, saying that missing the combine might hurt their clients’ draft status and earning potential. One agent told the network that he would instruct his clients to stay away from the combine if there was a consensus about doing so.

Skipping out on the combine could be detrimental to college players entering the league, unless the boycott is uniform.

“I’m not sure that would end up being fair to the kids,” one source told the NFL Network, adding that it would be more likely that agents would band together to have clients boycott the draft itself, which moved into a prime-time TV slot last year.

Agents already are upset about the rookie wage scale proposed by the owners for a new collective-bargaining agreement. Such a scale would severely limit the bargaining power for first-round picks in particular. The likelihood of anyone approaching Sam Bradford’s record $50 million guaranteed in his rookie contract with St. Louis last summer would be nil.

Teams will have workouts for prospects throughout March and April, and the players’ association is urging agents to consider boycotting those, too.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/04/2633705/nfl-players-union-and-agents-discussing.html#ixzz1D49gaXvX

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I now think it looks promising that we extend Mankins based on Kraft's comments.  If we keep both Mankins and Light, that changes things in my mind as far as the draft is concerned.  If I were to go OL, it would be later in the draft, i.e., not before pick 74.  I'd probably be looking at interior OL depth to support Connolly and Koppen.  I would now focus on guys who can play both center and guard with the potential to be better than Koppen or Connolly since they will be a free agents after 2011.

A guy that hasn't been talked about is Bruce Carter.  Obviously he's injured recovering from ACL surgery in December.  He is likely to miss all the pre draft stuff but could be ready to go by the 2011 regular season.  As an OLB, he has nearly the identical size and speed as Von Miller.  His uncertain recover means he will drop maybe even to our #60.  We took a chance on McKenzie and failed, but could this be the charm?  I'd be tempted at 60.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, I have to say that even if we resign both OL, I would like to see us grab an OT and OG/C early.  Normally I would agree with u that we can get a later guy if we keep both of our OL.  However, this year at this time I am not at all loving any of the later rd guys.  I see a monster dropoff at this time. 
    On Carter, I have limited knowledg of him and would need to watch more on him, but I wouldnt take him till the 3rd after an ACL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey Guys,
    The recent talk about Mike Leshoure got me thinking about running backs again.  One RB that was talked about a bit early on (and has since delcared) is Stevan Ridley from LSU (6-0 223).  He's doesn't have the big play potential that Leshoure has, but he is a hard running, between the tackles type with good size and power.  He's provided some decent production during his first year as a starter with 249-1,147-15 on the ground and also caught 11 balls.  I think his production was hindered a bit by poor/inconsistent QB play at LSU which allowed teams to load up against the run.  I think he'd be a solid option in Rd 4.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

LeShoure had a monster year and a huge bowl game being named MVP of the game.  But, he was somewhat inconsistent at times.  He had big games against Mizzou, So. Ill, No Ill, Michigan, Minnesota, at Northwestern he went insane for a NCAA season best 330 yards, Fresno State and the Texas Bowl against Baylor.  However, he had pretty pedestrian games against some of the better teams like Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, even Indiana, and had a horrible 15/23 effort against Purdue. 

I still believe the value at RB is in the 3rd and 4th rounds where guys with big play potential like Powell and Helu could be had.  The question really comes to the evaluation of these players.  Helu rushed for over 100 against Idaho, Washington, Kansas State and went insane against Mizzou for 307 yards but he horrible games against Texas and Oklahoma State rushing for 43 and 42 yards and he turned in a pretty sad performance against So. Dakota State 19/59. 

Bilal Powell had solid games against Kentucky, Arkansas State, Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, and Rutgers.  He had decent games against Eastern Kentucky and Pittsburgh but was so so at best against the better competition like UCONN, Oregon State and his bowl game against So. Miss. 

I think we want a back who produced against tough defenses, who is explosive and can help carry the load.  If we had lost either BJGE or Woddy to injury, we would have been screwed. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I just went and looked at the game logs of all the top "draftable" backs.  The two most consistent backs that had the best games and fewest bad games were Powell and Anthony Allen.  This was a cursory review but those two guys stood out.  I will study this more.  Ryan Williams had a horrible injury plague year so his rating must be based off his 2009 season where he shined, same for Ingram.

Another interesting thing is every single one of the top backs that played against Arizona had crappy games.  Kendall Hunter was 10/32, Shane Vereen was 27/102 which is only a 3.8, and Jacquizz Rodgers was 25/83 for a pathetic 3.3,  This may speak volumes for Brooks Reed in that he played on that DL and is the top rated defender of the Arizona defense.  In the couple of games that I saw, he seemed pretty stout against the run.  However, a look at his stat sheet doesn't impress.  He had 7 sacks and 44 tackles.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's a look at Ridley's stats for the year.

Pict
    2010 Regular Season Game Log
    Rushing
    DATEOPPRESULT  ATTYDSAVGLNGTD
    4-Sep@North CarolinaW 30-2419814.3160
    11-Sep@VanderbiltW 27-3171599.4651
    18-SepMississippi StateW 29-719784.1201
    25-SepWest VirginiaW 20-14201165.8161
    2-OctTennesseeW 16-14221235.6291
    9-Oct@FloridaW 33-2928833120
    16-OctMcNeese StateW 32-1015463.1102
    23-Oct@AuburnL 24-1712373.190
    6-NovAlabamaW 24-2124883.7191
    13-NovLouisiana-MonroeW 51-014674.892
    20-NovMississippiW 43-3618894.9243
    27-Nov@ArkansasL 31-2317754.4202
    2010 Postseason Game LogRushing
    BOWLOPPRESULT  ATTYDSAVGLNGTD
    AT&T COTTON BOWL@Texas A&MW 41-24241054.4221

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I now think it looks promising that we extend Mankins based on Kraft's comments.  If we keep both Mankins and Light, that changes things in my mind as far as the draft is concerned.  If I were to go OL, it would be later in the draft, i.e., not before pick 74.  I'd probably be looking at interior OL depth to support Connolly and Koppen.  I would now focus on guys who can play both center and guard with the potential to be better than Koppen or Connolly since they will be a free agents after 2011. A guy that hasn't been talked about is Bruce Carter.  Obviously he's injured recovering from ACL surgery in December.  He is likely to miss all the pre draft stuff but could be ready to go by the 2011 regular season.  As an OLB, he has nearly the identical size and speed as Von Miller.  His uncertain recover means he will drop maybe even to our #60.  We took a chance on McKenzie and failed, but could this be the charm?  I'd be tempted at 60.

Lets hope that's the case with Mankins and Light. That would take a ton of pressure of drafting OL too early, although, I would like to see us (even if they do sign both) draft either an OT or G in round 2/3.

Not sold on Bruce Carter. First off, with the MCL issue and the fact he is small for an OLB to start, doesn't bode well. Couple that with where we would look at targeting him, and I think there will be some other good OLB talent that fit our scheme better like a KJ Wright for example. I think we need to draft 2 OLB's. 1 early and 1 in round 3-4. I think KJ Wright can be had here. Don't know where Carter would go, but I think it's got to be 3rd round or later. I don't seem him anywhere close to 60.

Should we start making a list of potential OLB's in rounds 3-5? I hope this will be our 2nd OLB taken after we scoop up someone in round 1 or 2. I'm interested to see what you guys think of the OLB talent in rounds 3-5 and who could be potential Pats.....thoughts?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Since I asked the question about potential OLB targets in rounds 3-5, let me kick it off. Here's my short list based on who I think would fit the Pats 3-4 system (no particular order);

1. KJ Wright
    2. Thomas Keiser
    3. Steven Friday
    4. Allen Bailey (could he be converted to play 3-4 OLB?..he might be hanging around in round 3)
    5. Sam Acho

Any others?