2011 WR trades or free agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

2011 WR trades or free agents

Though we all are hearing BB and the Pats will draft a WR in 2011 .... My gut feeling İs he will make a trade for Steve Smith or Chad Johnson aka Ochco Cinco or another solid #2 type guy to complement Branch Welker and co .
    I see the Vikings pick in the 3rd round or the Pats own  2nd rounder  being enough to get It done .....

Thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: 2011 WR trades or free agents

In Response to 2011 WR trades or free agents:
    [QUOTE]Though we all are hearing BB and the Pats will draft a WR in 2011 .... My gut feeling İs he will make a trade for Steve Smith or Chad Johnson aka Ochco Cinco or another solid #2 type guy to complement Branch Welker and co . I see the Vikings pick in the 3rd round or the Pats own  2nd rounder  being enough to get It done ..... Thoughts
    Posted by hoyle[/QUOTE]

Both are very good players, but I'm not sure we spend cap space on a diva type of player when Brady is doing so well spreading it out and playing to the strengths that made him special. I'm not saying he wouldn't do well with either of these guys, but the team has some defensive issues that will need correcting and that takes cash and picks to fix. We have had no problem finding recievers that fit our system over the years, because Brady could make almost anyone look good. I'd use a third round pick to move up in the draft or to acquire a second next year, but I don't think you're going to get much in the way of NFL players with the pick. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Steve Smith or Ochocinco(highly doubt BB does this) are an upgrade compared to Branch, but would complement Welker. Everyone seems to say this, BB will just trade for a stud WR or RB, but BB also needs to consider cap space. Alos, why waste your time with a veteran when you have proven you can draft the right players and have them become legit weapons in their first year for little money. Everyone loves a great veteran on a team, but I believe that BB is crafting a new team image and he wants to use rookies as the mold. Much easier to get a rookie to buy into the team than a veteran. Just my two cents, but I wouldn't mind just drafting a WR that falls into the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

We need the next Branch route running WR.  IMO the Patriots might think they have that in Price.  We reached about two rounds early for this guy for a reason.  Grooming him behind the scenes as a route runner.  He has the speed to go deep when the formations show they can go deep, eg. Branch vs. Bears.  That's my feeling. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Nocho to Ochco under any circumstances. Smith is probably to big a cap hit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

ocho is probably going to be cut after this season with TO when marvin lewis gets fired and the new coach want control of his locker room!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Steve Smith is having microfracture surgery, I'd stay away from him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I'd rather he draft someone at least by the third roound. To be honest I hope we stop getting free agents or trades and devlop through the draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know, they're scoring 32 ppg, what's wrong with the guys they have now? Is Branch retiring or something? Didn't they already try the diva route? Find the next David Givens in the 7th round. It's not high on the list of needs, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Both of those guys have major downsides.  And would likely be expensive.  I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole.  Price may develop.  Or a receiver in the draft might have great potential and a lower odometer reading.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 WR trades or free agents:
    [QUOTE]I don't know, they're scoring 32 ppg, what's wrong with the guys they have now? Is Branch retiring or something? Didn't they already try the diva route? Find the next David Givens in the 7th round. Or sign a FA, there will be some inexpensive options. It's not high on the list of needs, IMO.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I'm guessing we are currently fine at WR....this is basically Tates 1st year & Price is a project...both have HUGE upside along with youth & speed they are versitle & smart....
    I do however see them taking a PROVEN RB to complement BJGE (I'm guessing the get him signed to a 4-5 year extension)...my guess is either Pierre Thomas or a DeAngelo Williams & maybe even a Ronnie Brown....BB might even pick ap a RB to groom in either the 3rd or 4th as well....I just don't see WR being a big need this year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather he draft someone at least by the third roound. To be honest I hope we stop getting free agents or trades and devlop through the draft
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

+1

Who are the big name free agents on the best team in the NFL this year?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Agreed with Muz - we are leading the league in scoring - wr is not our most pressing or urgent need - would prefer to take a shot in the draft.

however, if we can get larry fitz for the right price (pick / contract).....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Instead of Chad Johnson, let's get Chad Jackson...he'd be cheaper. Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I'm thinking the draft for a WR to develop behind welker and branch. Here's a smaller school guy who i am really interested in. he has similar numbers as Jerry Rice in college.  He is very versitile and has good size/speed.  Should be around in the 4th round.

Cecil Shorts III, WR, (Mount Union) 6’0”

40: 4.43 had 252 receptions, 4,615 yards, 72 touchdowns on a four-year career.  Shorts has played some running back, Wildcat quarterback, kick returner and regular quarterback as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know, they're scoring 32 ppg, what's wrong with the guys they have now? Is Branch retiring or something? Didn't they already try the diva route? Find the next David Givens in the 7th round. It's not high on the list of needs, IMO.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I was hoping someone would say this when I started reading this thread, they're all coming back next year so where's the need? And definitely no on Ocho.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I'd rather have Jordan Shipley then Chad. I'd rather go with what we have and use the picks on linemen and pass rushers. If fitzgerald comes available then maybe. he'd be expensive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I'd be surprised if A.J. Green hops aboard, I doubt we trade for Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson, and I don't think we pursue Steve Smith of the Panthers or Chad Ochocino.

Instead, I think we sign... wait for it... JAMES JONES. Stud, do-it-all Patriots type player for the Green Bay Packers. Jones is a clutch performer, he's strong, he can handle the ever-changing offensive schemes that we see in the New England offense, and he has great character on top of all that. A modestly priced 4, 5, or 6 year deal would do the trick while Green Bay remains comfortable with Jermichael Finely, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Andrew Quarelss, Brandon Jackson, Ryan Grant, et cetera-et cetera. Defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins is playing in a contract season as well and will, in my estimation, be the Packers top re-signing priority next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I think we can all agree that Brady is a better QB when he doest have to force the ball to a specific receiver x number of times a game. Add that to the fact that a big name WR is going to cost alot of money that could be used other places. Mankins should be paid. Id like to see Welker extended as well. The Pats also have 6 picks in the first three rounds.  Assuming the Pats actually pick players with these picks its going to cost a bit to sign them as well.
    As of right now the Pats picks are

Round-Order

1-14 (from 6-7 Oak) hopefully they lose a few more
    1-32 (What can I say, Im a Pats fan)
    2-1 (from 1-12 Car)this is gold to BB
    2-32 (feels good seeing that 32 doesnt it)
    3-10 (thank you Randy Moss)awesome considering they got him for a 4th rd.
    3-32 (I cant wait to see Krafts weird victory dance at the parade)

I'd like to add that the Pats gave up the 4th round 3rd pick for Branch. Is that a good deal? I think it is. Go Pats!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

the only veteran WR i could be sold on is larry Fitzgerald,

otherwise i'd like BB to draft Julio Jones or Leo Hankerson

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Thank you Kansas....

People need to remember what a class act Larry Fitzgerald really is. This guy has absolutely no QB all year long and you never see him quit or complain. This guy runs inside routes, outside and can stretch the field. He may be the second best WR in the game but people are forgetting about him. Now if any team in the NFL could trade for a star is the Pats. What if the Pats gave up their second first round pick and  3rd rounder for him. Larry is in his prime at 27 and he does everything that a team would want.Why take a chance on Jones why you could trade for the real deal in Fitzgerald.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

The one thing the patriots needs is a tall WR, we have alot of great small WRs, but after watching that chargers-niners game it made me realize if we had a big tall WR like vincent jackson or andre johnson that could out jump and out muscle all the small CBs it would another element of offensive power. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I'd love to see the Patriots trade for Larry, the guy is a stud & high character individule...he'd be wicked expensive though....probably have to give up our 1st & 2nd to get him then pay him 10 million a year....pretty steep!!!!
    I honestyly just don't see it happening....I'm in no way giving up on Tate & Price, I mean this is basically Tate's first year & Price hasn't even hit the field yet as he's a redshirt player this year...they both have TONS of upside....I'm very very happy with what we go & the potential of what we may have already on the team....
    LINE HELP on BOTH sides of the ball is where we need to focus....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

First I don't see the need for a WR, I don't know who is saying BB will draft one because that would be flying in the face of everything he has done over his career unless you're talking about late in the draft.

Look at the munchkins in this upcoming draft, look at productivity in college and look at shuttle times; BB will take a receiver in the 3rd round or later and wind up with a gem like always.