2012 Draft Revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

2012 Draft Revisited

#21 Chandler Jones: Starter that displayed decent pass rush moves, recorded 6 sacks and a number of QB pressures. Not to mention that he drew a number of holding calls (and frankly holding non-calls). Jones was definitely affected and slowed by injury. Moving forward I expect Chandler to stay healthy and be the Pats best pass rusher. It was mentioned that he has a good frame and room to grow. This will happen and Jones will get stronger at the point of attack. If you put him next to Wilfork both players become match-up nightmares.

#25 Dont'a Hightower: On a team with some good LBs (Spikes and Mayo) Hightower led the team in TFLs (tackles for loss) Looked lost at times, but like some rookies he gained more confidence as the season wore on and was somtimes used succesfully in blitz packages. Also was starter and on the field for well over 60% of the D snaps. Helped the run  D improve (8th overall in the league).

#48 Tavon Wilson: Most of us fans had no clue who this guy was and viewed this pick as a reach or potential bust pick. Still, he contributed with 4 INTs, but got less playing time when a vet (Steve Gregory) to a spot and McCourty was moved to starting FS. Contributed probably more than most fans expected and was not a huge 2nd round bust.

#90 Jake Bequette: Generally perceived as a rush DE/OLB. Still learning and was buried on the depth chart. Has to improve if he wants to see some snaps.

#197 Nate Ebner: Some expected him to contend for the SS job on D. As I often state, it as just important to get rotational players and roster depth contributors. Ebner contributed by being tied with Slater for special teams lead in tackles. Again, not a starter, but depth if necessary, and made solid contributions on ST. Pretty much what I expect from a 6th round pick not named Brady.

#224 Alfonzo Dennard: We all know the story; his draft stock fell precipitously after off-field altercation. Arguably the Pats best starting CB prior to acquisition of Talib. Assumed starting CB role by mid-season and is currently the best non-free agent DB on the Pats roster. Could easily be considered a steal in the 7th round who will continue to improve.

#235 Jeremy Ebert: Some hoped he would be Edelman or Welker-lite when a more likely scenario would be (and was) that he would be way down on the WR depth chart (see Branch, Stallworth etc...). Spent time on the practice squad.

Overall: A very good draft the yielded three starters (Jones, Hightower, Dennard) and two solid contributors (Wilson and Ebner). It's unrealistic to think that every draft a team will yeild five starters (unless their team is terrible). This was a very good draft with three quality rookie starters; if these starters continue to improve the Pats D will be markedly better and this draft could do for the D what the Gronk/Hernandez draft did for the Pats offense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2012 Draft Revisited

Solid post, JHr.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

good post and I agree with almost everything. overall I think this was a very solid draft and I was generally happy with what we got.

The one thing that concerns me is Wilson. The 4 ints, 1 he made a great play on the ball and the other 3 were caused by tips or over throws by QB under pressure so I kind of discount the ints this year. What is concerning to me is the number of bad angles he took and allowed WR's to get behind him when he had over top coverage. Additionally, he seemed to regress and make the same mistakes as the year progressed which might have lost him time on the field once Gregory returned. I'm hoping he can make a leap in the second year, because he showed promise in the box but there was stilll a lot to be desired out of a 2nd round pick. But, you are right you can't win on every pick just wish they'd hit more often on DB's. Maybe the trick is to grab the fallen DB's. Mathieu in the late 3rd to 5th range anyone?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good post, in regards to Jones I'd add put one more Wilfork next to both of them and we'll really have a pass rush.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Good post. Agree with the analysis.   That's 3 strong drafts in a row for BB.  Also, Justin Francis, while undrafted, maybe be someone who can help in upcoming seasons. He came on in camp and BB seems to love the kid from Rutgers.

Put Bolden in that category too. I was disappointed with how they used him after the suspension (especially in the Ravens game) but I can see him being a more important piece to the puzzle this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Good post. Agree with the analysis.   That's 3 strong drafts in a row for BB.  Also, Justin Francis, while undrafted, maybe be someone who can help in upcoming seasons. He came on in camp and BB seems to love the kid from Rutgers.

Put Bolden in that category too. I was disappointed with how they used him after the suspension (especially in the Ravens game) but I can see him being a more important piece to the puzzle this season.

I'm not sure Captien. Bolden never looked the same after the suspension. I'm wondering if it was him or the PEDs. We'll find out but by how he looked after the suspension he might not even be on the team next year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Sorry, Bolden as UFA should have been on there. Again another player that contributed and could contribute more given he showed flashes of talent in limited touches. IMHO Ridley, Vereen and Bolden have different skills sets the Pats can and have utilized. Same with Francis.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Wozzy, bookend for Chandler and DT for him and Fork are considerations for the 2013 draft. Can't analyze players as hypotheticals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nice post. dont know what is going to happen with dennard, but overall BB did a very good job drafting talent last year. jones and hightower are already studs and will only improve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Jones. Belichick, who some posters vilify for his WR or DB picks, generally nails his picks on the D Line and to some degree LB Corps (Mayo, Hightower 1st round, Spikes 2nd round).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm not sure Captien. Bolden never looked the same after the suspension. I'm wondering if it was him or the PEDs. We'll find out but by how he looked after the suspension he might not even be on the team next year

You may be right but I didn't think they really let him get a chance to get going again. Of course, I don't see what happens behind the scenes in practice so I can't say for sure, but he only got 25ish carries after the suspension and none in the playoffs. I thought his downhill running style would have been more effective against the big defensive front of Baltimore. You're right though, we'll find out soon enough! I don't think he'll take Ridley's starting job but I'd like to see him get a fair share of the carries similar to how the Ravens used Rice and Pierce last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

When did you get to see Boldin and how often? It might be purely incorrect perception on my part but I felt like they never really used him after that?

Also, I do not recall but did they actually say what it was? Sometimes those banned substances are some crap ingredient in some suppliment or medication or a matter of a player not notifying the league 1st in the case of a med.

Not suggesting that most times it is not a player testing for something like testosterone, HGH, etc for a pure performance advange. I do seem to recall BB stating that one of either Boldin or Cunningham was too bad because it could have been avoided which made me feel it was in that notification category??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

good post and I agree with almost everything. overall I think this was a very solid draft and I was generally happy with what we got.

The one thing that concerns me is Wilson. The 4 ints, 1 he made a great play on the ball and the other 3 were caused by tips or over throws by QB under pressure so I kind of discount the ints this year. What is concerning to me is the number of bad angles he took and allowed WR's to get behind him when he had over top coverage. Additionally, he seemed to regress and make the same mistakes as the year progressed which might have lost him time on the field once Gregory returned. I'm hoping he can make a leap in the second year, because he showed promise in the box but there was stilll a lot to be desired out of a 2nd round pick. But, you are right you can't win on every pick just wish they'd hit more often on DB's. Maybe the trick is to grab the fallen DB's. Mathieu in the late 3rd to 5th range anyone?

huge boom or bust guy (mathieu). definitley a playmaker, something this team has few of.

also small, so potential for injury. 

the talent is there though, dripping with talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

agree 100%

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

nice post. dont know what is going to happen with dennard, but overall BB did a very good job drafting talent last year. jones and hightower are already studs and will only improve.

id say calling hightower a stud based on last year is a reach. 

we expected him to be a stud we will see i he can be that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

You may be right but I didn't think they really let him get a chance to get going again. Of course, I don't see what happens behind the scenes in practice so I can't say for sure, but he only got 25ish carries after the suspension and none in the playoffs. I thought his downhill running style would have been more effective against the big defensive front of Baltimore. You're right though, we'll find out soon enough! I don't think he'll take Ridley's starting job but I'd like to see him get a fair share of the carries similar to how the Ravens used Rice and Pierce last year.

" didn't think they really let him get a chance to get going again."

and

" I thought his downhill running style would have been more effective against the big defensive front of Baltimore. "

you are seeing and thinking what i was, and said so all year.

sometimes bb "cuts his nose off to spite his face"... ridley his rookie year (who could have helped win a sb), and bolden last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

When did you get to see Boldin and how often? It might be purely incorrect perception on my part but I felt like they never really used him after that?

Also, I do not recall but did they actually say what it was? Sometimes those banned substances are some crap ingredient in some suppliment or medication or a matter of a player not notifying the league 1st in the case of a med.

Not suggesting that most times it is not a player testing for something like testosterone, HGH, etc for a pure performance advange. I do seem to recall BB stating that one of either Boldin or Cunningham was too bad because it could have been avoided which made me feel it was in that notification category??

he said that after cunnigham caught low

adn agreed, bb never let boldin see the field much after suspension.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

and

" I thought his downhill running style would have been more effective against the big defensive front of Baltimore. "

sometimes bb "cuts his nose off to spite his face"... ridley his rookie year 9who could have helped win a sb, bolden last year.

There is certainly an element to that at times...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Nice post, JohnHannahrulz.  Very good read!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

and

sometimes bb "cuts his nose off to spite his face"... ridley his rookie year 9who could have helped win a sb, bolden last year.

There is certainly an element to that at times...

tis unfortunate, but comes with the upside stuff as well

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BB didn't really give him many carries after the suspension. Considering he was getting 5-10 a game before the suspension and then nothing afterwards I'm using that to add to my assumption that he wasn't the same runner. But what little we saw of him involved the 4th quarter with the game in hand against the 2nd and 3rd string D's and he just to me didn't have the same explosion and didn't have the same leg drive when he hit the pocket. It seemed like he would go down on first contact and couldn't explode through the holes like in the first half of the season. Now that could be do to a number of things but he just didn't look like the same runner to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They got something in Jones..the guy is a talent who should only get better. Hightower to me is the key - if he improves then it's a great draft. Didn't like the Wilson pick...still don't. Dennard played like a real cornerback and it was refreshing to see quarterbacks have to make more difficult throws on his side of the field. Ebner looks like a guy that may hang around in the NFL in one capacity or another for ten years. Boldin looks like he will be a decent backup.

i liked the aggressive approach to the draft. I think a great draft is when you land three very good players...it looks like we may have done that. Even two good players would be nice - it's when you end up with none, or have guys that stick on the roster but really shouldn't be there, that are bad drafts. This wasn't one of those drafts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Wilson was a bust at 48.  Not a giant bust, but a wasted high pick IMO.

He won't be a starter next season, probably get less minutes if we add another D back or two and I bet he will not be on the team in 2 years.