2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12)

To me it all comes down to who is available at #27 or #31. For example, if Hightower miraculously falls into #27 you could see alot of teams that covet that pick. I said that someone would want Ingram to be their potential feature back and that I could see someone targeting him shortly before the Pats traded that pick. I just don't know that there are any players that teams would trade picks to get (aside from RGIII which we all knew was going to happen). We could see a team like the Bengels manipulate this draft a little given the position of their picks is better than the Pats. For example, if two teams want #21 for specific player it will be because that player will be gone by #27.  Just saying that the Pats aren't the only team capable of trading up or down.

Welker is still in limbo and that could be a tag and trade given recent acquistions at WR.

No teams' board is exactly the same. I am excited about this draft because of the 4 picks in two rounds I just don't think BB is all that excited about what is available with those picks. You and I agree on that one, but you need a partner if you want to dance and BB is very selective about who he trades with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/19/12)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/19/12):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/19/12) :      I know...I saw that. But, they're not being realistic. There's no way the Rams would trade the 6th overall pick for the 27th and 31st.      If the Patriots had the 6th overall pick, would you be pleased if they made such a trade?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't be pleased but as BBs draft history goes i wouldn't be surprised.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Texpat I am intrigued by the Pats trading completely out of rd 1 and having 3 in 2013.  which I am sure he will trade those for 5 in #1s in future years , and this will go on and on untill!

I see BBs master plan here. After 4 more SBs appearances ( maybe a couple of rings?) with heavy depth laden  overly competent teams. In 2017 Brady retires and so will BB  but he will leave Mr Kraft and the new regime with anywhere between 16 to 20  first round picks to rebuild with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have BB going for Brockers at #27 as a fallback position, but yes, I think he'd take a first and a second on principle if it were available. 

I'd be surprised if BB didn't trade at least one second rounder away. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    [QUOTE]To me it all comes down to who is available at #27 or #31. For example, if Hightower miraculously falls into #27 you could see alot of teams that covet that pick. I said that someone would want Ingram to be their potential feature back and that I could see someone targeting him shortly before the Pats traded that pick. I just don't know that there are any players that teams would trade picks to get (aside from RGIII which we all knew was going to happen). We could see a team like the Bengels manipulate this draft a little given the position of their picks is better than the Pats. For example, if two teams want #21 for specific player it will be because that player will be gone by #27.  Just saying that the Pats aren't the only team capable of trading up or down. Welker is still in limbo and that could be a tag and trade given recent acquistions at WR. No teams' board is exactly the same. I am excited about this draft because of the 4 picks in two rounds I just don't think BB is all that excited about what is available with those picks. You and I agree on that one, but you need a partner if you want to dance and BB is very selective about who he trades with.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Don't know how BB feels about the guys that should be around when the Pats are up to pick at #27 and #31. But, for what it's worth, I'm not terribly excited about the players that should be available. I don't see them as being worthy of being #1 picks.

This draft seems to be deep at WR, and fairly deep at DT, RB, OL, OLB, and CB. But, there aren't that many blue chip prospects. At WR, there are perhaps three ...Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Reyes. At DT, there's Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Devon Still, and Jerel Worthy (I see Michael Brockers as a project...not worthy of a #1 pick). At RB, there's Trent Richardson. On the OL, there's Ryan Kalil, Reillt Reiff, David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn, and Johnathan Martin. At OLB, there's Nick Perry, Courtney Upshaw, and Mel Ingram. At CB, there's a huge drop-off after Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Janoris Jenkins. Thereafter, there's a bunch of 2nd - 4th round types. 

BB will find a trading partner. There's always some team that falls in love with a certain guy...and sees themselves a player away.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    [QUOTE]Texpat I am intrigued by the Pats trading completely out of rd 1 and having 3 in 2013.  which I am sure he will trade those for 5 in #1s in future years , and this will go on and on untill! I see BBs master plan here. After 4 more SBs appearances ( maybe a couple of rings?) with heavy depth laden  overly competent teams. In 2017 Brady retires and so will BB  but he will leave Mr Kraft and the new regime with anywhere between 16 to 20  first round picks to rebuild with.
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

I don't see either Tom or BB retiring early. They love what they do too much. Besides winning a SB, BB's #1 mission over the next two years should be to find a replacement for Brady. Though no Pats' fan, especially Babe, likes to think about this, this is the key to the continued success of the franchise, over the next decade.  

Remember, Tom Brady's contract expires in 2014. So, over the next two years, BB and Bob Kraft will be faced with the excruciating decision of whether to trade Tom, or let him go through free agency. The alternative of paying a 37 year old QB big money doesn't make sense. 

Is Hoyer the guy? Is Mallett the man? If BB believes in Hoyer, it behooves him to sign him to a long term deal next season.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

With regards to Tom Brady, a decision on whether to continue on with him could come as soon as at the end of the 2012 season. Recently, he just restructured his contract, as follows:  

08:01 AM ET 03.28 | Tom Brady quietly restructured his contract late last week, and the new arrangement underscores an unfortunate reality for NFL players: Numbers aren't always what they seem. In dropping his 2012 cap number from $15.2 million to $8 million, Brady received $10.8 million to sign and a reduced, but fully guaranteed, base salary of $950,000. But he has no guarantees beyond that. The Patriots can release Brady without consequence at any time before the fifth day of the 2013 league year. If they don't, his $9.75 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. ... Then, if Brady is on the roster for the last game of the 2013 season, his base salary of $9.75 million for 2014 becomes fully guaranteed

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/326330-patriots-can-walk-away-from-brady-contract?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a4#ixzz1qRAr58Mq

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (Updated April 3, 2012)

If interested, above you'll find my updated mock...dated 4/3/12.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (Updated 4/3/12)

It's been reported that the top CB available in the upcoming draft, Morris Claiborne, scored a four (4) on his Wonderlic test: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/
         I mean...kids in kindergarten probably score higher. Will/should this affect his draft status? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Tex- Nice Mock.  I like trading both firsts back into the second round much better in this scenario with Brockers, Barron, etc. long gone.  I love the Chandler Jones pick.  Not quite sold on DT Brandon Thompson, but I wouldn't complain about him in the late second.  I thought it was interseting how you had Floyd going before Blackmon.  Also, I liked that you slid another QB (Kirk Cousins) into the first to Cleveland.  Seems far fetched, but it really could happen.  If Gabert and Ponder can get drafted in the Top 12...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

DT Dontari Poe is supposedly sliding fast, due to the fact that teams are beginning to set aside what he did at The Combine, and focus on the game films of Memphis games...in which Poe appeared to be decidedly average.

Mike Mayock has now dropped him to 4th among the available DTs. Don't be  surprised to see Poe fall out of the top 25 of players selected on draft day: http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/04/02/mayock-lowers-poes-draft-ranking-the-tape-is-very-average/?module=HP11_content_stream

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

RG III has refused to perform in a private workout for the Colts: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/griffin-tells-colts-no-to-private-workout/

This should end any speculation about the Colts taking him over Andrew Luck. Here's more on the alleged Luck/RG III controversy: http://www.indystar.com/article/20120401/SPORTS03/204010347/Kravitz-Colts-taking-Luck-guarantee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (Updated 4/3/12):
    [QUOTE]Tex- Nice Mock.  I like trading both firsts back into the second round much better in this scenario with Brockers, Barron, etc. long gone.  I love the Chandler Jones pick.  Not quite sold on DT Brandon Thompson, but I wouldn't complain about him in the late second.  I thought it was interseting how you had Floyd going before Blackmon.

RESPONSE: Floyd appears to be the better prospect. He's more of a deep threat, better in the red zone, and is clearly a better blocker than Blackmon.  

Also, I liked that you slid another QB (Kirk Cousins) into the first to Cleveland.  Seems far fetched, but it really could happen.

RESPONSE: It could indeed:
    http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/03/kirk_cousins_on_the_huge_show_2.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+msu-spartans+%28MSU+Spartans+Impact+-+MLive.com%29

If Gabert and Ponder can get drafted in the Top 12...

RESPONSE: Absolutely. Let's also not forget Jake Locker going 8th overall. Cousins could be another Andy Dalton. 
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Judging from my latest mock draft and their need, the Giants may have to take a RB with their first round pick: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82808b4f/article/concerns-at-running-back-could-affect-giants-draft?module=HP11_content_stream

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here come the litany of excuses as to why Morris Claiborne scored a four (4)...yes, a four (4), on his Wonderlic test. Everything from Claiborne has a learning disability, to the tests are unfairly racially slanted, to blaming the NFL for giving a test that allegedly has "no correlation to performance on the field": http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/bus-cook-in-shock-about-claiborne-test-score/

Okay...let's take these excuses one at a time:

1.) Learning Disability: If Claiborne has one, than that's a shame. But, it seems to me that teams preparing to invest millions of dollars and a top 5 pick in a player would want find this information quite relevant. They might have justifiable concerns that a guy with some kind of learning disability might have difficulty understanding the intricacies of an NFL pass coverage system/defense;

2.) Test is Racially Slanted: Other than Vince Young, who rolled a six (6) on the Wonderlic, I can't recall another player doing so poorly. Many other African-American players have scored just fine;

3.) Wonderlic Has No Correlation to Performance: I refer you to my answer to Excuse #1. NFL defensive and offensive schemes can be quite complex. BB has always stated that he wants smart guys, who can understand his system, and are capable of playing more than one position within the system.

Sorry...but these Claiborne apologists are all wet. I wonder if they studied Excuse Making under Professor Bill Polian, at the Peyton Passing Academy?

LOL!!!       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

A bit more on Claiborne and his microscopic Wonderlic score:

Claiborne's score is the lowest known result by a draft prospect since Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly received a 4 in 2000. In 2006, quarterback Vince Young, who was the third overall pick by the Tennessee Titans, reportedly scored a 6 on his initial test before retaking it and getting a 16. Quarterback Dan Marino also scored a 16 and went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Miami Dolphins. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7770388/2012-nfl-draft-morris-claiborne-top-cb-prospect-scored-4-wonderlic-sources-say

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's amazing how one move a team makes can shake up the entire draft board. Such is the case with the Eagles signing Buffalo's unrestricted free agent LT, Demetrius Bell...who, for some reason, has decided to change his first name to Demetress: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/eagles-sign-demetress-bell/

This move all but ensures that the Bills will use their 10th overall pick on OT Reilly Reiff (assuming he's still available at #10)...and eclipses the need for Philly to trade up to the 27th spot with the Patriots, to land a quality OT.

Bell got a 5 year deal: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Bell-to-Eagles-getting-close.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's yet another free agent signing that will impact the draft. UFA David Hawthorne, MLB formerly of the Seattle Seahawks, has signed a 5 year deal with the New Orleans Saints:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2017902151_hawk04.html

Hawthorne, who was the Seahawks' leader in tackles, likely will replace Saints MLB Johnathan Vilma...who is sure to be on the receiving end of a lengthy suspension from the league, for his role in "Bounty-gate". Vilma likely will receive the double-whammy of being suspended by the league, and released by the Saints.

Hawthorne leaving leaves a huge gap at MLB in the 'Hawks' defense. This appears to all but ensure that ILB Luke Kuechley of Boston College will be their selection, with the 12th overall pick in the upcoming draft. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

TP3, as always, your posts are well-written, informative and insightful.  Thanks for all your contributions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP3, as always, your posts are well-written, informative and insightful.  Thanks for all your contributions.
    Posted by RS75[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words.

Here's some more free agency news which could effect the upcoming draft. DT Luis Castillo has resigned with the Chargers. Castillo had previously visited the Patriots: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/04/castillo-re-signs-bolts/

In addition, the Minnesota Vikings have signed CB Chris Carr, formerly of the Ravens: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/vikings-sign-chris-carr/

The affects of these signings on the draft are that the Vikings look like a lock to take OT Ryan Kalil at #3 overall, rather than CB Morris Claiborne. The Chargers, at #18, after resigning DTs Antonio Garay and Castillo, now seem more likely to forego drafting a DT, in favor of addressing needs on their OL, for a pass-rushing OLB, or in their secondary.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's some draft rumors from DraftInsider.net:

April 4th: 11PM

- We heard today Marvin Lewis is hoping Alabama’s Courtney Upshaw is still available when the Cincinnati Bengals are on the clock with their second pick in round one, the 21st selection.  The other player the team will consider in that slot is Peter Konz of Wisconsin.

- If the Green Bay Packers go offense in round one Konz is the player they are targeting if he’s still on the board.  We’ve heard this rumbling since January and it was confirmed again today.

- What will the Seattle Seahawks do?  Separate sources told me today the team hopes to move out of the 12th slot and trade into the later portion of round one, where they will then draft linebacker Donta Hightower.  If they can’t move the pick they are seriously considering Hightower’s teammate, safety Mark Barron, at that slot and  Kam Chancellor would then move to outside linebacker.

-  Barron’s stock is on the rise as, amongst other things, head coach Nick Saban has given him rave reviews.  He’s being talked about as someone with a passion for football and a prospect who’s skills have been underrated.  We hear if Dontari Poe is gone by the 14th pick of the draft, and he’s likely to be, the Dallas Cowboys are likely to turn to Barron.

- The New York Jets are another team strongly considering Barron if he’s still available with the 16th pick.  A source close to the situation said the pick of Barron is a “no brainer” for the Jets.  One player we heard earlier today the Jets are not interested in selecting is Whitney Mercilus of Illinois.  There is strong speculation amongst league insiders that the Jets will look hard at moving down in round one.

- While most have the New England Patriots selecting a pass rushing linebacker in round one we hear a smaller linebacker who can cover is just as great a need on their draft board.  Could the team take a player such as Bobby Wagner at the end of round one?  Its’ definitely not out of the question: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6216

The Pats taking 6'0", 241lb. LB Bobby Wagner with one of their #1 picks...because he's good in coverage?? Though he's an ascending player as the draft draws near, he appears to be best suited to play ILB. Wagner is an interesting player, and is currently projected to be a 2nd round pick. While it's true that the Pats' could use a LB who can cover underneath against opposing TEs, slot receivers, and RBs, his selection in round one by the Pats would be a huge surprise. But, BB has surprised us before. Here's a scouting report on Wagner:  http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=102957

That said, I can see Jerry Jones falling in love with DT Dontari Poe. But, taking him at #14?? He appears to be too risky a proposition to go that early. But, again...we're dealing with Jerry Jones. Here's a scouting report on Poe:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=84013

It does appear that safety Mark Barron is ascending...and may be a top 15 pick. Here's a scouting report on him:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=81868

OLB Courtney Upshaw, should he be passed on by the Jets at #16 and the Chargers at #18, he could slide. Here's a scouting report on him: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=84728

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Your 1st trade might work but the 2nd doesn't.  The Pats get a 1st rounder for next year of nothing.  It would have to be along the lines of what New Orleans did last year.

My feelings are that the Pats will use both picks this year.  Too many defensive players there for them to pass up, all which would help upgrade the defense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

On Claiborne.  Teams will see if he does have some kinda reading disability.  If not why does it not show up on tape?  Rumor is that the low score will have little affect on his draft status.

The rumor on Poe is that Jerry does love the guy.  This is where I had Poe going all along but after the talk on Poe's workout not in sync with tape I thought that he would drop and the Pats would consider him.  After hearing about Jerry's lovefest with Poe it looks like he's going to be a Cowboy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Your 1st trade might work but the 2nd doesn't.  The Pats get a 1st rounder for next year of nothing.  It would have to be along the lines of what New Orleans did last year. My feelings are that the Pats will use both picks this year.  Too many defensive players there for them to pass up, all which would help upgrade the defense.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure that I understand what you're saying, Gary: (Pats get a first rounder next year of nothing??).

In any event, the first trade down with Philly now is not likely to happen, since the Eagles signed LT Demetress Bell, yesterday. The second trade down with Jacksonville, however, is possible. The Pats trade down from #31 to #38, and in return get the Jags' high 3rd round pick this year, the 70th selection overall. 

Gary...do you feel that trading down 7 spots, from #31 to #38, is worth more than the 70th overall pick? This draft appears to be low on blue-chippers, but has a lot of depth. Teams can come away with good players in the second and third rounds.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition)

Sorry for the late response Tex.  I just don't come here much any more since most here are bashing the club instead of enjoying what they have.  Now that draft talk is going on things look like they have cleared up pretty good.  Hopefully optimism will be high going into the season.

By nothing I meant no trade.  But I have looked at this further and if a team has a couple of high 2nd rounders I can see a bite on it.  I can see them moving down if they feel the teams that would be ahead of them are looking else where.  The Pats are masters at this so when they trade out I don't worry much about it.  Plus it means they aren't impressed with what is there to begin with so why not move the picks to next year where something may happen.

I do have to agree with you on the blue chippers.  Lots of gambles out there to be sure.  With so many options at the end of the 1st round I can easily see the Pats using both picks instead of trading them.  My main reason for thinking they will use those picks are because everything they need is there.