2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4/16/12)

If interested, above you'll find my latest mock draft...updated 4/16/12.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition):
    [QUOTE]Sorry for the late response Tex.  I just don't come here much any more since most here are bashing the club instead of enjoying what they have.  Now that draft talk is going on things look like they have cleared up pretty good.  Hopefully optimism will be high going into the season.

RESPONSE: Ditto on the late response, Gary. There has been a ton of negativity here, due to the SB 46 loss. But...it's really just a handful of folks here. It seems like more, because they post their views repeatedly. I really don't feel that bad about the SB 46 loss. I felt that the Pats had a great season...somewhat overachieved (who expected Gronk to go off like he did)...and, in the end, lost of a better balanced Giants' team. It was a disappointing end, to be sure. But, it was nothing like the SB 42 loss. 

By nothing I meant no trade.  But I have looked at this further and if a team has a couple of high 2nd rounders I can see a bite on it.  I can see them moving down if they feel the teams that would be ahead of them are looking else where.  The Pats are masters at this so when they trade out I don't worry much about it.  Plus it means they aren't impressed with what is there to begin with so why not move the picks to next year where something may happen. I do have to agree with you on the blue chippers.  Lots of gambles out there to be sure.  With so many options at the end of the 1st round I can easily see the Pats using both picks instead of trading them.  My main reason for thinking they will use those picks are because everything they need is there.

RESPONSE: After doing several mock drafts, including my updated one above, there's no question in my mind that the value in this draft lies in the second round. While blue chippers are few, there's a ton of good players available over the first 75 or so picks.  
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

TP - really like your trading out of the first for second round picks. I agree with the logic. BB is all about sticking to his board, and I don't believe any players available at 27/31 are going to have a 1st round grade in his book, but he will have a lot of players with 2nd/early 3rd round grades. A first rounder is supposed to be a sure thing or have so much upside that what ever questions are worth the risk. I just don't see that with players like Perry/Upshaw/whoever might drop. BB also doesn't like projecting position shifts for first rounders.As of the actual selections - I could quible on all of them - Branch v. Curry v. Irvin v. Jones - Thompson v. Wolfe, etc. I really like Taylor at S, but they might also be tempted by Trumiane Johnson - size of a safety with the cover ability of a corner, or Martin a little later.
    Another player they might look at is Boykin at CB because of his KR chops.
    Not sure they take a OG/C this early with Koppen back - I think they like their depth at this point on offense.
    On the trades - I think they would love to get this 3 second and 2013 1st, but might settle for 2 seconds and a third plus the 2013 1st.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4/16/12):
    [QUOTE]TP - really like your trading out of the first for second round picks. I agree with the logic. BB is all about sticking to his board, and I don't believe any players available at 27/31 are going to have a 1st round grade in his book, but he will have a lot of players with 2nd/early 3rd round grades. A first rounder is supposed to be a sure thing or have so much upside that what ever questions are worth the risk.

RESPONSE: The value in this draft lies in the second round. There are relatively few blue chip prospects. But, there's a bunch of very good players, between picks 20-75. I'd like to see the Pats use their first round picks, and trade down for a pair of second rounders, or a second rounder, with a first rounder next year. Accumulating as many second round picks as possible seems to be the way to go in this draft.

I just don't see that with players like Perry/Upshaw/whoever might drop.

RESPONSE: It's possible that one of these guys, or both, could drop to #27. But, even if they did, I'd trade down. Perry and Upshaw aren't that much better than guys that can be obtained in round two.

BB also doesn't like projecting position shifts for first rounders.As of the actual selections - I could quible on all of them - Branch v. Curry v. Irvin v. Jones - Thompson v. Wolfe, etc.

RESPONSE: I like Jones because of his versatility. He can be used as either a 4-3 DE, or a 3-4 OLB. He's an ascending player.

I really like Taylor at S, but they might also be tempted by Trumiane Johnson - size of a safety with the cover ability of a corner, or Martin a little later.

RESPONSE: Taylor at #55 was a bit of a reach...necessitated due to the Pats' weakness at safety. There were better players at CB who could have been had...such as Boykin and Hosley. I thought about Montana's Trumaine Johnson due to his size. But, I liked the fact that Taylor was a multi-year starter in the SEC, at LSU...and was a team captain.   

Another player they might look at is Boykin at CB because of his KR chops.

RESPONSE: I too like Boykin, for the reasons you pointed out, above. I had him going to the Pats in my two previous mocks.

Not sure they take a OG/C this early with Koppen back - I think they like their depth at this point on offense.

RESPONSE: Schwartz is an OT. He was a multi-year starter at LT for Cal...and was one of the best OTs in the Pack 12. He also made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl. His versatility on the OL would make him a prime Patriots' prospect. 

On the trades - I think they would love to get this 3 second and 2013 1st, but might settle for 2 seconds and a third plus the 2013 1st.

RESPONSE: I would be okay with that, too...provided that the 3rd rounder was a high 3rd rounder.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As part of my updated mock, I have the Rams trading up to #4 with Cleveland, to get RB Trent Richardson. This will lead to them trading RB Steven Jackson, who is slated to earn $7mil. next season. The Patriots have plenty of cap room to assume that salary...and may not have that much competition in landing Jackson. In other words, they might be able to get him for their late third round pick, or less. 

This from SI's Peter King:
    Jeff Fisher loves Trent Richardson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Alabama running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Steve Jackson if this happens. I don't see them paying Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. And that big number takes some logical teams (Steelers, Giants) out of the running for Jackson. Now, I view this scenario as unlikely anyway, because the Rams simply have to get receiver help for Sam Bradford. But if Justin Blackmon is gone here and Richardson's still there, he's logical for the Rams. Of course, Cleveland likes Richardson a lot, and rookie Tampa coach Greg Schiano does too, so I don't see Richardson making it to six.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.html#ixzz1sDmPW6uO 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

TP - cool with your responses, though still not sold on offensive line early. I could see them doubling down on safety as I am not sold on any of the current guys except Chung - for example could see them taking Johnson at 55 and then Taylor at 62 - and my only problem with Jones is that I don't trust the BE and think he may be overrated.
    The only reason I hope Upshaw/Perry are available at 27 is that I think they will be good trade bait as some other team will overvalue them. I can see Fleener being the same - some team wanting him before either SF or NYG get a chance at him and overpaying. Totally agree on the value proposition being in the second/early third round - but am counting on a few GMs to be desperate to get back to the end of the first for some imagined steal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4/16/12):
    [QUOTE]TP - cool with your responses, though still not sold on offensive line early. I could see them doubling down on safety as I am not sold on any of the current guys except Chung - for example could see them taking Johnson at 55 and then Taylor at 62 - and my only problem with Jones is that I don't trust the BE and think he may be overrated. The only reason I hope Upshaw/Perry are available at 27 is that I think they will be good trade bait as some other team will overvalue them. I can see Fleener being the same - some team wanting him before either SF or NYG get a chance at him and overpaying. Totally agree on the value proposition being in the second/early third round - but am counting on a few GMs to be desperate to get back to the end of the first for some imagined steal.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

I really think that the Pats need to add quality OL depth...especially if Matt Light retires, as expected. RG Brian Waters is 34 years old. OC Dan Koppen is 33. C-Bass has that seemingly chronic back problem.

Safety is the weakest position in this draft. Both Taylor and Johnson are reaches, as they are both third or round talents. 

Interesting point on Fleener. Some teams (Colts, Falcons, Eagles?) might be interested in moving up to 327 in order to draft him. 

There will always be a desperate GM or two to fleece. For example, as I suggested in my updated mock...the Jags traded the 38th and 44th pick to move up to #27, in order to nab WR Ashon Jeffrey. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's the latest first round mock draft from SI's Don Banks: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/04/11/2012.nfl.mock.draft.5/index.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an article that argues that, even if the Rams trade up to get RB Trent Richardson, that they won't/shouldn't trade Steven Jackson: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1147039-report-rams-would-trade-steven-jackson-if-they-drafted-trent-richardson

But then, there's this: http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/12/6/2615150/st-louis-rams-trade-steven-jackson  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

Here is my final 2012 mock draft. I can't wait til Thursday! The talent available in this class gives the Patriots a great opportunity Pats to fortify their front seven.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Hey TP - if the Pats can pull of you 4/25 trades then BB really is a genius! I actually think it would take that kind of value proposition to get BB to pass on Brockers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12):
    [QUOTE]Hey TP - if the Pats can pull of you 4/25 trades then BB really is a genius! I actually think it would take that kind of value proposition to get BB to pass on Brockers.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Who knows what BB thinks about players like Brockers, Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus, Harrison Smith, or Perry. But, these guys appear to be risky ventures. I'd rather see the Pats trade down, than take fliers on these boom or bust types.      Besides, I wanted to see who would be left for the Pats, if guys like McClellin and Jones were off their radar. 

It looks like I'll have to do another revision of this, my "final mock"...since it now appears that Buffalo is going to take safety Mark Barron at #10, even though I believe that LB "Crazy Luke" Kuechley should be their pick:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/24/report-bills-extremely-interested-in-mark-barron/

The other key points in the draft are at #3, where there's a chance that Minnesota will draft Morris Claiborne over Matt Kalil, and at #8 with Miami. Will the 'Fins foolishly take QB Ryan Tannehill, or use the pick on a pass-rusher (Coples/Ingram), or WR Michael Floyd? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Tex-  Your 4/25 mock is great.  If things unfolded like this, I would be doing cartwheels!  I hate passing on Brockers and not having a pick 'till #48, but if we could get the second round talent that you have projected, come away with 3 1st rounders next year, and make a low-cost deal for Stephen Jackson, I would take it in a heart-beat!  Great Job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry Tex, your mock made me cringe when I read it.  

Trading both 1st round picks when rookies cost about half of what they used to with the new CBA in place makes no sense.

Brandon Thompson is a run stuffer, capable of playing 4/3 tackle and maybe can play nose in the 3/4... maybe?  My guess is he'll slide to the middle/bottom of the 2nd round top of the 3rd, he'll make a solid Pro but in no way will dominate the line of scrimmage. Question is where does he fit as a Patriot and how is he any better than Kyle Love?

Vinny Curry is a stiff who ran a 4.98 forty and had below average shuttle times... out of the league in 4 years.

Derek Wolfe might possibly pan out, he would be a value pick in the 3rd round or beyond. He is strong but couldn't get his forty time down below 5, no explosion at all...

And Brandon Boykin is just a head scratcher, small (180 pounds) didn't run at either the combine or even at Georgia's Pro Day, at a position where we are already overloaded going into camp...  I don't get it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Tex, your mock made me cringe when I read it.   Trading both 1st round picks when rookies cost about half of what they used to with the new CBA in place makes no sense. Brandon Thompson is a run stuffer, capable of playing 4/3 tackle and maybe can play nose in the 3/4... maybe?  My guess is he'll slide to the middle/bottom of the 2nd round top of the 3rd, he'll make a solid Pro but in no way will dominate the line of scrimmage. Question is where does he fit as a Patriot and how is he any better than Kyle Love? Vinny Curry is a stiff who ran a 4.98 forty and had below average shuttle times... out of the league in 4 years. Derek Wolfe might possibly pan out, he would be a value pick in the 3rd round or beyond. He is strong but couldn't get his forty time down below 5, no explosion at all... And Brandon Boykin is just a head scratcher, small (180 pounds) didn't run at either the combine or even at Georgia's Pro Day, at a position where we are already overloaded going into camp...  I don't get it.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

You could be right. But, after reviewing the reports and/or opinions from talent evaluators Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper, ProFootball Weekly, OurLads Scouting Services, and DraftScout...they all disagree with you. For example, according to Mike Mayock, DT Brandon Thompson is the 47th best prospect, Curry is the 30th best prospect, Wolfe is listed at #59, and Boykin at #61: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8288a470/article/mike-mayocks-top-100-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings

Here's Mel Kipers' opinion on each of the above players:

8. Brandon Thompson 6-2 313 Clemson (S. 4.99) R. 8.6

Background: High School
    – Thompson was a two-time All-Georgia pick as a defensive lineman at Thomasville HS. He was the region defensive player of the year after tallying 61 tackles and a team-high 19 sacks. Before choosing Clemson, he was recruited by Florida State, Georgia, LSU, and Ohio State. Freshman – Thompson was scheduled to be a redshirt for the Tigers in 2008, but an injury forced him to see action in the final 12 games of the year. He finished his rookie campaign with 25 total tackles, including five tackles for loss and a sack, five QB hurries, three pass breakups, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Both of his tackles vs. South Carolina State went for loss, including a sack, and he had a fumble recovery and a QB hurry in that one; he had four stops, one tackle for loss, and a QB pressure against North Carolina State; and he posted a season-high six total tackles at Virginia. Sophomore Thompson was a starter in 13 of his 14 appearances in 2009 and he was credited with 50 tackles, two TFLs, nine quarterback hurries, three pass breakups, and a fumble recovery. He picked up a loose ball and had a tackle for loss among his three stops vs. Boston College; he had a season high six tackles, including one in the backfield, at Maryland; and he posted six stops at Georgia Tech. Junior – Thompson started 11 times as a junior and, in 13 games overall,posted 56 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, one sack, 15 hurries, three pass deflections, and one fumble recovery. He had six tackles and a QB pressure vs. Georgia Tech; he made a career-high 11 tackles at Boston College; he had four QB hurries to go with six tackles (1 TFL) in the North Carolina State game; and he had 2.5 TFLs and a blocked kick as part of an eight-tackle effort vs. South Carolina. Senior – This past season, Thompson set career highs with 74 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, 2.5 quarterback sacks, and 18 QB hurries. He also forced a fumble as a senior. His best games in 2011 came against Wofford (7 tackles, TFL), at Maryland (7 tackles, sack, 5 QBHs), at Georgia Tech (9 tackles, ½ sack, 3 QBHs), and vs. Wake Forest (7 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, ½ sack, 2 QBHs). Analysis: Thompson is an underrated, underpublicized blue chip prospect. I like the way he plays the game. He is difficult to handle along the interior, combining quickness with power. This kid bench presses450 lbs. and squats 615 lbs. Thompson is active and alert, finding the football on a regular basis. He isn’t the kind of guy to wow you over with the pads on; what you see is what you get with him. Thompson doesn’t have a great upside, but he’s solid and consistent. His film evaluation grades have him playing to the level of a first round pick in a lot of games. He won’t likely come off the board until round two or three, but Thompson did a lot of good things for Clemson during his career and is a solid, reliable defensive tackle heading into the NFL. *Combine Note: Didn't workout.

5. Derek Wolfe 6-5 297 Cincinnati (S. 4.96) R. 8.8

– Wolfe comes from Lisbon, OH where he was an all-state pick as a senior after posting 78 tackles and seven sacks. He finished his three-year varsity career having made 205 total tackles. Freshman – Wolfe played in seven games for the Bearcats as a true freshman in 2008 and he recorded three tackles and a sack. His sack came on the final play of the season to cap the win over Syracuse. Sophomore – Wolfe started all 13 games in 2009 and he tallied 41 tackles, eight tackles for loss, five sacks, and one fumble recovery. He had five tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a sack, at Pittsburgh; two of his five tackles at Miami (OH) were sacks; and he was credited with eight tackles in the Fresno State game. Junior – Wolfe started 12 times as a junior and he had 48 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, and a pass breakup. He had eight tackles, two TFLs, and a sack at Fresno State; he had a tackle for loss among his five stops vs. Oklahoma State; and he had seven tackles each against Pittsburgh (1 TFL) and at West Virginia (2 TFLs, sack). Senior – This past season, Wolfe was the Big East Co-Defensive Player of the Year after amassing 21.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks as part of a 70-tackle senior season. He also had six QB hurries, one pass breakup, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. His best games in 2011 came against Akron (3 tackles, 2 sacks, forced fumble), vs. Louisville (11 tackles, 3 TFLs, sack, 2 QBHs), at Pittsburgh (5 tackles, 2 sacks), and against UConn (10 tackles, 5 TFLs, 2.5 sacks). Analysis: Wolfe is a former wrestler who plays football with the same rugged attitude and approach. He’s not just a space eater as a defensive tackle; he fights through the double team and acts as a major disruptive force on the interior of the defensive line. Wolfe also showed very impressive pass rush ability over the past two seasons. He has a chance to be a solid, hard working, blue collar type defensive tackle in the
    NFL. And what has added to his value is the fact that he could also figure ideally as a 3-4 DE with his size, awesome strength, and natural pass rush ability. Wolfe is quite an athlete, really impressing NFL defensive line coaches as we have moved through the draft process. One of the more under-publicized early round DL available this year. Wolfe could end up landing in the late 1st or 2nd round. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.94 did 33 reps, and had a 33 ½” vertical jump.

7. Vinny Curry 6-3¼ 265 Marshall (S. 4.82) R. 8.6

Background: High School – Curry came out of Neptune, NJ where he was an all-state pick as a senior at Neptune HS.He was also team MVP in his final prep season.
    Freshman – Curry played in seven games with the Thundering Herd as
    a true freshman in 2008. He made nine tackles on the year, including one for loss, and he had a forced fumble and a

fumble recovery. His best effort as a rookie came against Cincinnati, when he had two tackles, a TFL, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. Sophomore – Curry moved into the starting lineup in 2009 and, in 13 games, posted 59 total tackles, 8.5 stops for loss, 3.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles. He had 10 tackles, including one for loss, vs. Southern Mississippi and two of his four stops in the SMU game were quarterback sacks. Junior – Curry became a first team All- Conference-USA selection as a junior after starting all 12 games and leading the team with 18 tackles for loss among his 94 total tackles. 12 of those were sacks, and he added 16 QB hurries, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He had 11 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, two sacks, and two hurries against Ohio; he was credited with eight tackles, 1.5 stops for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble vs. Memphis; and he had 11 stops, three TFLs, two sacks, two forced fumbles, and one additional QB hurry in the West Virginia game. Senior – This past season, Curry was theConference-USA Defensive Player of the Year after amassing 22 tackles for loss and 11 sacks among his 77 total stops. He also forced seven fumbles, blocked three kicks on special teams, broke up a pass, and recovered one fumble. His best games as a senior came against UAB (8 tackles, sack, QBH, 3 forced fumbles), vs. Rice (9 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, forced fumble, fumble recovery), at Central Florida (8 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 2 sacks, forced fumble), at Ohio (7 tackles, 2 TFLs, forced fumble), and against Southern Mississippi (6 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 3 sacks). Analysis: Curry began showcasing future NFL ability as a sophomore and grew into a prolific pass rusher. He is a proven natural playmaker coming off the edge, closing quickly on his target and disrupting things in the backfield vs. both the pass and the run. Curry is a much underpublicized standout coming out of Conference-USA. Football means everything to this kid, and he has the versatility and athleticism to play either with hishand down as a defensive end or on his feet as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Curry has been on the NFL radar for a few years and could have been an early round selection in last year’s draft. He is just that more seasoned in 2012 and he had an excellent Senior Bowl week to round off his career. He presents a lot of value and is a solid, safe pick for a team in need of another pass rusher. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.85, didn’t lift, and had a 32” vertical jump.
    11. Brandon Boykin 5-9½ 183 Georgia (S. 4.42) R. 7.9
    – Boykin was a prep All-American coming out of Fayetteville, GA after intercepting five
    passes, breaking up nine others, and making 23 tackles on defense. As a quarterback, he ran for 600 yards and six touchdowns and completed 33 of his 43 passes for 416 yards and three more scores. Freshman – Boykin played in 13
    games as a true freshman for the Bulldogs in 2008, recording six tackles on the year, with two coming against Georgia Southern. Sophomore – Boykin became a starter in 2009 and was in the lineup in 12 of his 13 appearances. He recorded 54 tackles, six pass breakups and three interceptions on defense and he set school records with 38 kickoff returns, 988 yards (26 ypr), and three touchdowns. He returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and added four tackles and an interception against South Carolina; he had another 100-yard return for a score in the Tennessee game; he was credited with eight stops and a pick vs. Auburn; and he posted his third kickoff return for a touchdown, six tackles, and a pass breakup in the Independence Bowl vs. Texas A&M. Junior – Boykin again started 12 of his 13 appearances in 2010 and he had 44 tackles on defense, including 6.5 for loss. He also picked off three passes, broke up three others, and had 34 kickoff returns for a 24.3-yard average. He had five tackles, with one going for loss, and a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown at Kentucky; he had seven stops at South Carolina; and he was Defensive MVP of the Liberty Bowl against Central Florida after making three tackles and intercepting a pass. Senior – This past season, Boykin started all 14 games for Georgia and he won the Paul Hornung Award after recording 55 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three interceptions, nine pass breakups, two forced fumbles, 38 kickoffs for a 22.4-yard average, a 12.9-yard average on 14 punt returns, with one for a touchdown, seven rushes for 103 yards and a score, and five receptions for 71 yards and two touchdowns. He caught a 42-yard touchdown pass and made six tackles against New Mexico State (1 TFL); he was credited with five tackles, one stop for loss, an interception, and a pass breakup at Vanderbilt; and he was Outback Bowl MVP after returning a kickoff 92-yards, catching a touchdown pass, and making seven tackles, including two for loss and a safety. Analysis: Boykin is a very athletic, extremely versatile cover corner. He is a real playmaker with the pads on. He can run stride-for-stride with the fastest wide receivers, and when he’s beaten, he can make up ground quickly. As a return specialist, Boykin had a knack for finding the gaps and creases, accelerating quickly, and doing a lot of damage with the ball in his hands. I thought over several games the last couple of seasons that he could be a second round pick. He then slipped a bit, but when you're versatile like Boykin is, athletic like he is, and can help out in a big way as a returner, you’re going to get a lot of attention. *Combine Note: Didn’t workout

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Kiper is a hack who has been caught accepting bribes from agents to pump up players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Kiper is a hack who has been caught accepting bribes from agents to pump up players.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Is Mike Mayock a "hack" too?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12) :      Is Mike Mayock a "hack" too?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

He is a TV personality, they cover all their tracks by saying something complimentary and critical of each player, that way they can be both right and wrong in a couple years when the results are in. At least Mayock played football on any level, Kiper knows less than nothing.

Thompson and Wolfe maybe have solid careers at the next level, Curry is gone, and Boykins is way too much of an unknown and too small to draft high. 

You won't get this kind of honesty from a talking head.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12) : He is a TV personality, they cover all their tracks by saying something complimentary and critical of each player, that way they can be both right and wrong in a couple years when the results are in.

RESPONSE: Hog wash. Mayock has all four of the above guys well within his top 100 list. What does that have to do with "saying something nice" about each player? 

At least Mayock played football on any level, Kiper knows less than nothing. Thompson and Wolfe maybe have solid careers at the next level, Curry is gone, and Boykins is way too much of an unknown and too small to draft high.  You won't get this kind of honesty from a talking head.

RESPONSE: Boykin an unknown? He starred in the SEC, at Georgia. But, whatever you say, Woz.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I think the Pats could trade back with both picks in the first but one thing I also think is they will not go so far back that they miss out on Kevin Zeitler OG/C or Peter Konz C as I think they have to come away with one of these guys because I am not sold on Connoly as an every down 16+ game Center. He is a terrific backup, and in the case of Zeitler he is a Patriot type guy who is not only smart (suposidly scored 30+ on wonderlic) but he plays all 3 inside positions and with Waters likely playing his last year before retiring he provides insurance inside at either C or RG depending on where he helps the most. Zeitler and Konz will both be going anywhere from 26 to 37 in most scenarios.

So depending on how the draft goes I could see them moving back and making a deal with lets say St. Louis and move #27 lets say for #33 along with #96.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Pats could trade back with both picks in the first but one thing I also think is they will not go so far back that they miss out on Kevin Zeitler OG/C or Peter Konz C as I think they have to come away with one of these guys because I am not sold on Connoly as an every down 16+ game Center. He is a terrific backup, and in the case of Zeitler he is a Patriot type guy who is not only smart (suposidly scored 30+ on wonderlic) but he plays all 3 inside positions and with Waters likely playing his last year before retiring he provides insurance inside at either C or RG depending on where he helps the most. Zeitler and Konz will both be going anywhere from 26 to 37 in most scenarios. So depending on how the draft goes I could see them moving back and making a deal with lets say St. Louis and move #27 lets say for #33 along with #96.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Forget about Konz. The Pats have resigned Connelly and Koppen. I don't see them using a first or second rounder on any offensive lineman, with the exception of OG Amini Salomalu. He could be something special. If they are unable to pick up a quality veteran RB, it wouldn't surprise me if they added a RB in round 3.

But...the paramount concern has got to be to get the defense straightened out. I look for them to go gangbusters to do that.