***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

My random prediction/thought of the day, before I head to the local watering hole:

CB Ron Brooks (5-10 180) LSU is my favorite late round sleeper in the draft and is a name fans should know come draft day.

He managed the below production all while starting only (3) games this year, playing mostly nickel back as he was overshadowed by a Top 5 kid in Morris Claiborne and Heisman Finalist, The Honey Badger.  He also looks like a very good special teams player/gunner:

*3rd on LSU in sacks this season with 3.5.

*2nd (tied) on LSU in INT's this season with 2.

*Returned both of said INT's  for TD's.

*6th on LSU in TFL this season with 6.5.

*Tied for 3rd on LSU (with Morris Claiborne) in PD with 6.

*Tied for 3rd on LSU in QB hurries with 3.

*Tied for 2nd on LSU in FF with 2.

*Verified by LSU S Brandon Taylor as the strongest DB on the team.

*Listed 4.45 40 time.

*30 tackles

Enjoy your Saturday, boys!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]Wow, Cordy Glenn is definitaly boosting his stock this weekend.  You're right Faucet, he would have to be considered strongly if he fell to 27.  Random thought...if we could come away from this draft with both Reuben Randle and Joe Adams that would be awesome.  These two SEC recievers have different skill-sets, and would strengthen our recieving corps for years to come.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely.  Those two receivers have been my favorite tandem or two like them, to bring in because they compliment the roster, bringing different skill sets to the table.

Back to the OL Combine review.  I'm just about through Group 2.  (I haven't read all posts yet, so if I repeat something, it's unintentional).

Phillip Blake is having himself one heck of a Combine.  I'd like to hear more about his tape but in the drills, he looks to be the best Center prospect out there.  He's so fluid and athletic.  But Blake, another Canadian prospect, turns 27 before the 2012 season ends.  This should keep him out of the first 3 rounds making him someone to consider with our 4th if we don't bring Connolly back.  Conversely, Brewster was falling all over himself.  He looked really clumsy in the drills, especially the mirror drill.

Kevin Zeitler, so far, so good.  Explosive 1.76 split time.  A former wrestler, and natural RG would look so attractive if he's still on the board at 48.  The kid is a very hard worker, a perfectionist and he looks the part so far.

Really, we need just one OL addition if we lose Light and Waters and retain Connolly.  We only suit 7 on the OL for games so Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Vollmer, Wendell and one more is needed.  I'd be happy with a kid who can flex in OG and C, like Zeitler or a guy who can flex in from tackle like Glenn is showing.  BB loves his OL to be versatile, like every position.

A couple of later round OT types who caught my attention as possible OGs were James Brown and Jeff Allen.  Both are in that 6-4, 305 range but moved well and looked pretty fluid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wolfe weighted in at 295. Plenty large enough to play either 34 DE or 43 DT. He's now my favorite DL in the draft (assuming Still and Brockers are taken early)

BTW Orson tossing up 35 on the reps. The concern was that he couldn't block but he's got the strength. With Scar might develop into a blocker. Worth a look for a 3rd TE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Absolutely.  Those two receivers have been my favorite tandem or two like them, to bring in because they compliment the roster, bringing different skill sets to the table. Back to the OL Combine review.  I'm just about through Group 2.  (I haven't read all posts yet, so if I repeat something, it's unintentional). Phillip Blake is having himself one heck of a Combine.  I'd like to hear more about his tape but in the drills, he looks to be the best Center prospect out there.  He's so fluid and athletic.  But Blake, another Canadian prospect, turns 27 before the 2012 season ends.  This should keep him out of the first 3 rounds making him someone to consider with our 4th if we don't bring Connolly back.  Conversely, Brewster was falling all over himself.  He looked really clumsy in the drills, especially the mirror drill. Kevin Zeitler, so far, so good.  Explosive 1.76 split time.  A former wrestler, and natural RG would look so attractive if he's still on the board at 48.  The kid is a very hard worker, a perfectionist and he looks the part so far. Really, we need just one OL addition if we lose Light and Waters and retain Connolly.  We only suit 7 on the OL for games so Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Vollmer, Wendell and one more is needed.  I'd be happy with a kid who can flex in OG and C, like Zeitler or a guy who can flex in from tackle like Glenn is showing.  BB loves his OL to be versatile, like every position. A couple of later round OT types who caught my attention as possible OGs were James Brown and Jeff Allen.  Both are in that 6-4, 305 range but moved well and looked pretty fluid.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your observations on OL. Apart from the Combine performances, but in consideration of the results, isn't this a perfect time for Scar to do his own one-on-one  drills to identify the BPA? I was privately hoping that we could get a dominant CENTER either in FA or the draft to consolidate a promising OL. Connelly is adequate but certainly not the answer in the middle. He is an ideal 2 position back-up IMO. We need a more dominant presence in the middle! 

BB and especially Scar place heavy emphasis on college production against pro caliber DL.  If that performance is noteworthy, the measurables respectable, the IQ exceptional, the player coachable and the commitment beyond reproach...we then have identified an upper echelon draft choice! I did not mean to omit the quality of the motor, health and good citizenship as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I enjoyed your observations on OL. Apart from the Combine performances, but in consideration of the results, isn't this a perfect time for Scar to do his own one-on-one  drills to identify the BPA? I was privately hoping that we could get a dominant CENTER either in FA or the draft to consolidate a promising OL. Connelly is adequate but certainly not the answer in the middle. He is an ideal 2 position back-up IMO. We need a more dominant presence in the middle!  BB and especially Scar place heavy emphasis on college production against pro caliber DL.  If that performance is noteworthy, the measurables respectable, the IQ exceptional, the player coachable and the commitment beyond reproach...we then have identified an upper echelon draft choice! I did not mean to omit the quality of the motor, health and good citizenship as well.
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]
    I think Connolly did a pretty decent job at center.  I think he might actually be better than Koppen at this point in their careers.  Some of the better centers are undersized like Jeff Saturday and Scott Wells.  Both are free agents as is Matt Birk.  I'm not sure there is a free agent center who would be a better option than bringing Connolly back since he knows the system.

I've cooled off on Konz a bit.  I don't like the fact that he doesn't appear to be very durable.  He seems to miss a few games every year and he's going to soon have a much longer season.  I actually think I prefer his teammate, Kevin Zeitler.  I think if we bring Connolly back, we'd have him and Wendell to play center and with Waters 35, at most he has a year left.  Since Zeitler is a natural RG, I'd love to take him in the 2nd and let him learn a year and be ready to take over after the season.

I think I would actually rather draft Philip Blake in the 3-4 round range than Konz in the first.  And now, I've really got to do more research on Cordy Glenn.  I might even take him over Konz.  He's started at LT, LG and RG.  I think he'd give us so many options in dealing with injuries throughout the year.

Finished watching the TEs.  Not really impressed with them.  None are better than Gronk or Hern.  This is probably the weakest TE class I've seen in a long time.  Some, like Hanna are fast, but didn't show good hands.  Egnew probably looked best to me if we're looking for someone in the 4th round to develop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Yeah, the man crush for Randle is getting stronger for me.  Keep in mind, he's coming out as a junior and is just 21.  He didn't come from a pass happy offense so sky's the limit in NE's offense.  But it might take 31 to get him. 

Also, I agree with Reiss in his video piece over on ESPN that the Pats very well may draft 2 WRs in this draft.  If we look at 2010, the Pats needed TE, they took 2.  Last year they needed RBs, they took 2.  This year, they clearly need WRs.  Other than Welker, who they will tag, they have nothing.  WR is perhaps the oldest position on the team and needs an injection of youth.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Quick hits from the third day of the NFL combine:

1. Randle makes his presence felt. LSU receiver Rueben Randle, who is one of the highly-rated big targets in the draft, arrived at the media center late this afternoon and was in command as he answered questions from reporters. Impressive poise. He said he measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and weighed 210 pounds at the combine. When asked why he decided to enter the draft after his junior season, Randle said he felt he accomplished a lot -- "33 wins in three years" and that was the reason he attended school there, to win. When asked what style of receiver he'd like to model himself after, he chose Detroit's Calvin Johnson, who makes plays down the field as well as after the catch. The general sense from this perspective is that Randle, who is a first-round projection, will interview well with teams.

2. Sanu checks in. Couldn't get over to listen to Rutgers receiver Mohamed Sanu, another highly touted bigger receiver in this draft, but Erik Scalavino of Patriots.com was nice enough to hand over his recorder so I could listen to the audio of it. Sanu touched on how he prides himself as an all-around receiver, and answered questions about his speed, ability to separate, and former Scarlet Knights coach Greg Schiano, among others. Sanu said he keeps in touch with Patriots players and Rutgers alums Devin McCourty and Tiquan Underwood -- both of whom play for the Patriots -- and that he sometimes crossed paths with Bill Belichick when Belichick would visit campus. Tremendous production in 2011 from Sanu, who had 115 receptions.

3. Jeffrey touts his hands. South Carolina's Alshon Jeffrey, who said he weighed in at 216 pounds after playing at 230 last season, talked about his strong hands being the asset that sets him apart from other big receivers. He hopes to play around 215 pounds in the NFL as he feels lighter and faster at that number, and pointed to better route-running as one area he could improve. Jeffrey's statistics dipped considerably last season, in part because of quarterback changes, and that is part of what makes him a challenging projection for scouts. He is viewed by analysts as a late first-round or second-round pick. "Every kid in America when they grow playing football wants to go in the first round," he said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, the man crush for Randle is getting stronger for me.  Keep in mind, he's coming out as a junior and is just 21.  He didn't come from a pass happy offense so sky's the limit in NE's offense.  But it might take 31 to get him.  Also, I agree with Reiss in his video piece over on ESPN that the Pats very well may draft 2 WRs in this draft.  If we look at 2010, the Pats needed TE, they took 2.  Last year they needed RBs, they took 2.  This year, they clearly need WRs...

i completely agree on the strategy of taking 2 WRs. I think this is the year to do something like that, with the depth at the position. I am hoping (i am confident given their patterns) that they stay patient and not use any pick higher than 2B. I believe there will be some good WRs who will be available on day 3. That's when I think they should pick the second WR.

I like Randle too. He's very reliable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

moskk:

if only life were that simple....Whether we have an outside wr threat or a THIRD TE to complement TB's targets we still are vulnerable by not having a sound running game. It's a two-headed monster on the negative side...lack of a sound running game goes beyond the quality of our RBs since our weakness in the middle of our OL allows too much pressure up the middle and too little thrust into an opponents backfield. We need to create running room for our RBs with a road grader that is game ready!

great points moskk and i cannot disagree. however with a second elite te available for that game we dont lose it period. even with all the game mishandling (including obrian calling plays like we were up 2 tds at the end of the game when we were down).

I don't subscribe to the notion (at this juncture of TB's last 3 years) to draft an OL or C later in the draft so Scar can work his magic.  Are we forgetting that we need to draft (or sign in FA) a CENTER that is already game ready if we are to capitalize on Tom's remaining years.  In other words, there is an urgency to get this team "fixed" now so that TB finally has a full deck to work with. Perhaps even if the "fix" is only for 3 years and saving  later round selections for the future but certainly not confusing present needs with future needs.

excellent points.
    i think bb missed the "urgent! lets get super bowls for the next 5 years while brady is still elite" draft and fa approach by at least 2 years now.

By the way, welcome back....to the fray! 

thanks  moskk. been licking wounds and allowing other parts of my life to expand. honestly i didnt think id be back for a year. it was an awful scene/feeling.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

like to think of our receiving corps as a basketball team.  You need your big man in the middle of the paint who can get out ahead on fast breaks, that's Gronk.  A point guard rushing to get back isn't going to prevent the Gronk from getting a lay up or a slam dunk, in his case.  Then we have our power forward in Hernandez.  Welker's the point guard he touches the ball the most.  We're missing the #2 and #3, the shooting guard and small forward who can fly.  Lloyd or Branch could be that #2 but where's the #3?  In reality, a tall 6-2 plus guy to win his one-on-ones outside the numbers, and a speedy guy who demands help, is needed.  You wouldn't cover Michael Jordan one-on-one in his hay day.  This is a Michael Wallace type player. 

like your basketball analogy.

Since we aren't going to give up the pick for Wallace, we need to draft a Wallace.  Razorbacks, Jarius Wright and Joe Adams potential fit the bill coming from a Pro Style Offense and I'm sure Mallett can give a good scouting report on each.  I expect both to run in the low 4.3s.  I favor Adams just because he is so dynamic on special teams in the return game, an area where we were lacking last year, and an area where rookies have to cut their teeth.  We aren't going to put him out on offense for 50 plays a game to start.  He'll return punts, kicks and come out maybe 5-10 plays on Offense where we want to either take a shot down field or to keep a safety out of the box or to open up the middle.

There's a plethora of tall guys in this draft, options in every round.  I personally like Randle perhaps even as high as 31 over Sanu or Jeffery.  But I also think Toon, Hill, D Jones, M Jones, Quick, Criner, Posey and McNutt could all be 3-5th round options.

The idea of a high pick on a 3rd TE doesn't seem like it would improve the team, unless of course Gronk gets hurt, so we'd be drafting a kid we hope we don't have to play much.  There are only so many balls to go around.

disagree here. hern not te. need 2nd te period. option to catch passes 2nd. hern and gronk wont go unhurt all year through the sb. losing one superbowl becasue we didnt have someone who could step up for gronk is enough.

My notion that we need different receivers with different skills sets is to create match-up problems and require the defense to cover the entire field.  A team might have one tall safety or corner so maybe they can take away a Gronk but they can't play the same guy on Gronk and a Randle.  If they want to double Welker in the slot, then they have to play man on the edge against a speedster with safety deep to respect that. 

what are your thoughts on a younger welker somewhere in this draft. there are so many receivers(on top of a big outside receiver) , including udfa guys. welker has maybe 3 good years left guessing. and if he doesnt sign a 3 yr deal wiht us, we may only have him for one.

Then you open things up in the middle for Gronk and Hern and if you clear out one side you open up a late developing RB screen or outlet pass which we used to do before the BJGE days but hardly ever do anymore (not sure if it's Benny, think it is though as our OL is pretty mobile).  A Vereen would be perfect for this if we aren't looking to add another RB in the draft.

we need a rb who is a threat in run game and pass on all 3 downs. i suggest a udfa in case ridley doenst come through (should have found out more last year by playing him more.

Bottom line is our O is geared towards Brady finding the best match up and open man.  If we give Brady time, he can go through all his progressions, then back to the first option if needed quickly.  If there is talent at every receiver position, someone should be open on every play.  If you have inferior WRs who can be easily single covered by nickel and dime backs then the whole strategy is thwarted.

you are articulating my strategy as well over last yr and a half or so.

I don't think it was a conscience decision to become a TE focused team, we just happen to have 2 really good ones, 

agreed, so they based the offense on it

with weak WRs meaning the TEs were often the best option.  If we add good WRs to the mix, I think we could use more of the field to spread the D out further and create even better situations and options for Brady.  If we were to do this, it would mean fewer balls for Welker, Gronk and Hern.  But that's okay.  I'd rather have 5 guys catching 50 balls than 3 catching 75.  A spread out field can only help in the running game too.

this is exactly what i have been saying during this duration ( but i add the 3 down rb who is strong, a threat to break 30+ yards at any moment, and great out of the backfield)

Look at the disbursement of passes last year.  If I'm an opposing DC, I try to take away Gronk and Welker.  If I do that, I force them to beat me with Hernandez.  In fact if you look at games where Gronk was stopped, Hern had his best games.  In games were Gronk had 4 or fewer receptions, SD, OAK, NYJ, KC, PHI, DEN, NYG; Hern had 4 or more catches except the OAK where he DNP.

yes i noticed the saem thing. and that's without an outside threat (outside the #'s). makes stopping us easier for top def even with all pro tes and slot.
    bring in big and tall receiver with hands and separation ability to keep the offense rolling no matter what a de does.

RECTAR  YDS AVGTDLONG
    Tight Ends169237 2,23726.22452
    Gronk90124 1,32714.71752
    Hern79113    91011.5746
    % of plays42%39%43% 57% 

Receivers196311 2,65711018285
    Welker122172 1,56912.9999
    Branch5190    70213.8863
    Ocho1532    27618.4153
    Edelman48      348.5011
    Underwood36      3010013
    Slater13      4646046
    % of plays49%51%51% 43% 

Backs375836335.6095
    BJGE913    15917.7053
    Woodhead1831    1578.7016
    Faulk79      344.9018
    Ridley35      134.308
    % of plays9%10%7% 0% 

I look at these numbers and a couple of things stick out.  Welker is the only threat at WR and now that he's over 30, I don't think we want him catching 122 balls, 30% of all catches.  If he gets hurt or a team can take him away, that's a big deal.  Gronk and Welker combined to have 50% of all passes thrown there way, recording 53% of all catches for 55% of all yards and 62% of all receiving TDs.  That's too much IMO but they were the best options.  Teams we face will get players and schemes to stop those two guys and if they do, they know they might be able to beat us.

exactly!

The other thing that really stood out is our running backs contributed almost nothing in the passing game. 

exactly again.
    i was on all this before last draft and all last year.

What a change from years past.  Less than 10% contributed by RBs in the passing game with ZERO TDs.  We need BALANCE, BALANCE and BALANCE just in the receiving game.  We can't rely on 3 guys to carry the load.  Welker, Gronk and Hern accounted for 72% of all catches and yards and 79% of all passing TDs.  In the 4 games we lost, Hern didn't play in the BUF game and Gronk was basically out of the SB game so if we lose one of the three, the chances of beating us improve greatly. 

hello... preaching to the choir. these have been my words.

why we needed another te last year as opposed to jsut using solder.
    why we needed to play ridley a lot more to find out if he is our 3 down triple threat back.
    why we needed a legit outside receiver all year (by the way helluva dumb move both trying with ocho, [lazy route runner] and giving him that kind of money).

thanks for the thoughtful post.

peace
    bred/brd

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Patriots Mock Draft Tracker http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-Mock-Draft-Tracker/53c53051-d3f7-4e18-a5a7-db65f077f6c3
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

thanks rocky that saves some of the bouncing all over the net i do. still will. but more in one place is easier.

:)

peace

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, Cordy Glenn is definitaly boosting his stock this weekend.  You're right Faucet, he would have to be considered strongly if he fell to 27.  Random thought...if we could come away from this draft with both Reuben Randle and Joe Adams that would be awesome.  These two SEC recievers have different skill-sets, and would strengthen our recieving corps for years to come.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

agreed but we cant ignore front 7 de and the o line, so depends what we do in fa.
    dbs in fa is a no brainer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i completely agree with the running game assessment. i would even extend that a little bit. i believe that from a capability perspective, ridley is the answer. he needs to learn to take care of the ball, but i believe he is the well-rounded back whose big gain capability needs to be respected. the fix to the running game in theory, is in the OL. but even that i am not sure does the job. i hope i am wrong but until they really integrate the running game seriously in their philosophy - i.e., not teat it as some smoke and mirror/ mirage - i have my doubts. all speculation of course but to me the offense has turned into one with a glamour mentality. it lost its hard-nosed, blue collar, everybody is given the chance to pitch in, grind it out mentality. i don't know if josh is the type of oc who would bring back the grinder type offense. one argument i heard is that they don't need to do that because of the elite passing game. i argue that over-dependence on the passing game allows other teams to study it throughout the season so that eventually someone figures it out in the playoffs. by extension, a real running game actually will help the passing game excel in the playoffs.  that running game is not going to happen unless they invest time and effort to develop it. i also think there is a parallel to developing outside WRs.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

agree totally, and with josh as the oc that could be a problem

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

The need for two WRs, one tall and one small speedster has been often mentioned so that TB will have multiple options in the passing game.  Huh?  Are we forgetting that we're so vulnerable "up-the-middle" that Brady won't have the time to check out his options! TB can only absorb so many knock-downs before he is reduced to a mere mortal with self preservation eroding his concentration. What should our priorities be in the draft?

The road to the next SB must pass through other elite teams, especially those with a stout front seven.  Unless we take action (in the draft or FA) to solidify our OL and change the Pats culture from a pass-dominant team to that of a balanced offense... history will repeat itself! We must become less predictable on offense by being successful in both the run game as well as the passing game.

In other words, we either become so dominant defensively that we can accept an average OL performance Or we get get so dominant offensively that we exhaust our opponents.  Neither scenario is likely to happen because we don't have the resources to completely overhaul either O or D.  We still must operate under the cap without mortgaging our future. Stockpiling elite players didn't work for the Eagles and it won't work for us. But we must use our money in FA to maximize our success by targeting promising second tier (and less expensive) players.

Why second tier when elite options are available?  That is a fan's perspective but apart from professional football being America's sport it is also a profit driven enterprise.  The Pat's franchise has increased in value nearly 400% in the last 10 years and they're not likely to drastically change their modus operandi...despite TB's limited shelf-life.  Kraft wants to remain competitive first (as does BB) and with luck to remain a SB contender for the FUTURE. That has been the key to the Pat's success in the past and the blueprint for the future.

Since draft choices are so financially valuable (as opposed to FAs) we should be selecting the BPA to maximize our chances for continued success.  We can use trades and FA to plug holes with a growing necessity to target UDFA that demonstrate production at the college level with measurables that may not always be highly desirable. 

So what's the message?  Primarily target players in the draft at positions where the draft is strong to maximize success.  This year it appears to be the OL, DL, WRs.  Fill up with FAs at needed positions where the draft is weak. Always look FIRST at BPA to maximize our drafting success (it does no good to draft players that don't stick). Sign FAs in the second tier when possible since the few elite players destroy our salary structure and limit our FA acquisitions. Departures from this conservative  plan always include gems that drop.

Thus, with this plan, we need BPA on the OL, DL (a penetrator) and wr.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Phillip Blake, I've been raving about the 26 year old and now even more.  He looked really good and just confirms what I've seen from him.  Only problem is he might be pushing himself into late 2nd early 3rd. 

Can play both G and C, only draw back is age but I'm putting the upside is so good I don't pay attention to the age.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

All eyes today on Marvin Jones and Jarius Wright for me, these two are my two favorite options followed by Brian Quick, does he have speed to stretch the field.  Reliable hands and decent route running but still need some work.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Michael Flyod 4.42 40 at 220lbs, that's pretty impressive for that kid.

Stephen Hill Georgia Tech 4.30 40 6'4" 215lbs but Hill is a huge project coming from tech but Megatron came from same O. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

As a Pats fan and Rutger's Alum I have been speaking of Sanu for sometime. Rutgers is an OK team with a so so QB, but still Sanu mangaged to shine, set records, and was the only force on O and other teams knew it.  Some scouts dont see separation etc with him, but they must be blind.  You dont catch 100 + passes when everyone knows the ball is coming your way unless you are pretty good.  PLUS he is not a diva by all accounts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Michael Flyod 4.42 40 at 220lbs, that's pretty impressive for that kid. Stephen Hill Georgia Tech 4.30 40 6'4" 215lbs but Hill is a huge project coming from tech but Megatron came from same O. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I saw Hill's times and had to double and triple check myself. He jumped up the board big time for me. It's not everyday that a kid with that size and speed comes along. He was projected to go late 2nd early 3rd. This should push him to early 2nd to mid 2nd. If we trade #27/31 back to the early 2nd he might be a kid to target. He also reportedly commanded the room during interviews with the media.

BTW anyone else think it's a good idea to ask Brady to come in and throw/workout with the WR they bring in for special workouts? Let Brady chose his WR instead of BB picking one and hoping he gets along with Brady

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I saw Hill's times and had to double and triple check myself. He jumped up the board big time for me. It's not everyday that a kid with that size and speed comes along. He was projected to go late 2nd early 3rd. This should push him to early 2nd to mid 2nd. If we trade #27/31 back to the early 2nd he might be a kid to target. He also reportedly commanded the room during interviews with the media. BTW anyone else think it's a good idea to ask Brady to come in and throw/workout with the WR they bring in for special workouts? Let Brady chose his WR instead of BB picking one and hoping he gets along with Brady
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Hill's speed (and he looked very smooth running that) and average yards per catch, he only caught 48 but average was 29 yards per catch.  For him the 3 cone and drills will be huge now, does he show he can run routes.  Does he only have straight line speed or can he make those cuts.  He's helping himself that's for sure.

He just looked really good in the gaunlet as well, ran on that line good speed and caught everything away from his body.  Kid is going to command coaches to go look at him on tape a few more times.

also like the idea of brady working out these guys, he can see how much they understand what he wants and how quickly they get it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Adams clocked in mid 4.4's. That's where I had him projected unfortinutly (much slower then most thought). The cones are going to be extremely important for him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow Hill in catching drills. Extremely smooth, ran straight line, looked very fluid. Had taken a wider turn at the sideline but still extremely smooth soft hands. Caught the ball away from his body. Didn't even hear the ball hit his hands, it was so soft

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Wow Hill in catching drills. Extremely smooth, ran straight line, looked very fluid. Had taken a wider turn at the sideline but still extremely smooth soft hands. Caught the ball away from his body. Didn't even hear the ball hit his hands, it was so soft
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I'm really enjoying the good combine the Georgia kids (UGA and GT) are having.  Starting with OL yesterday today Hill is really making people pay attention to him and answering some questions.  He is not rounding off routes he's putting a show.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

bred/brd,

I think we are pretty much on the same page with everything, our need for a couple of quality WRs to go with Welker, and a stronger, more complete running game.

The only major difference I think we have is I don't think we should spend a draft pick on TE this year.  If we have other weapons besides Gronk, Welker and Hern, one of them going down isn't as big a deal.  This is a pathetic class of TEs this year.  There is no Gronk-lite out there who could have come in and "replaced him."  Gronk at 50% was still a better option than 90% of those guys I saw at the Combine yesterday.

I think the best way to go is pick up an inexpensive veteran to be that 3rd TE.  I would get someone who is an accomplished blocker like we had with Crumpler but not someone you expect to get much from in the passing game.

As for the running game, I expect big things from Vereen.  He could be our next Kevin Faulk.  He's fast, has good hands and can do damage in the open field.  I look for him and Ridley to be our 1-2 punch.  There are some backs that interest me in this draft in every round but I think other needs are more important to address first unless we see a really good talent at a value spot we weren't expecting.

For all those watching Stephen Hill, I just saw his two 40s and heard the comments and comparisons to Demarius Thomas and that Josh McDaniels who drafted him for the Broncos, now with the Patriots, might be thinking the same thing.  I'm not ready to say first round yet Mike, so no double or nothing bet.  But I think all of us are going to be doing our homework on Hill now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I'm really enjoying the good combine the Georgia kids (UGA and GT) are having.  Starting with OL yesterday today Hill is really making people pay attention to him and answering some questions.  He is not rounding off routes he's putting a show.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

His routes are impressing me. He's taking a couple extra steps on hard cuts then most guys but he's also getting their faster then most guys so not a big deal. On a couple of the sidelines he's taking a slightly larger angle which slows him down but he's not going to be a 5-10yrd hook guy so he'll have separation before making the turn. as a 15+yrd guy he's going to be something to watch for in the pro's. I' starting to think we should grab him at #48 if he's there.

He has the size that people like me want in the sideline presence but has the speed MB is looking for as a vertical stretcher. He's got a great package IF he's smart enough to understand routes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys,
    Getting a late start on WR's, very impressed with the straightline speed of Hill, Floyd, Coale (good late round option) and Chris Givens (a pretty fluid/sudden kid with straightline speed to match, I like him as a mid-rounder).  Was a little suprised to see Adams run only a 4.44, but the kid is very fast/sudden on the football field nonetheless and I still like him a lot.