***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Also Calvin Johnson came from that same O.  Johnson had 78 catches his senior season and that was 2nd best all time in tech history.  These guys don't catch a ton of passes. Hill's 29 yard per catch average makes you say hmmmm, he runs better routes that he's given credit for and in run support he's top notch (had more than enough practice there with an O that runs 80% of snaps.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Calvin played for Chan Gailey who ran more of a pro-style/vertical offense.

I think the 29 YPC is a bit misleading.  He clearly has some downfield ability, but when you option a team to sleep then hit a long one over the top, your YAC is gonna be high.  Again, I'm not dumping on the kid, but we've all been talking for months about getting more of a finished product if they target a WR on day 1/2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

D-tackles are versatile, athletic group

Posted 18 hours ago

From the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, a look at some of the best defensive tackles available this year.

INDIANAPOLIS - The guys on the edge - the outside linebackers and defensive ends - may get most of the press clippings and accolades, but it's the interior players - inside ‘backers and d-tackles - who do much of the grunt work in the front seven.

Those edge guys most often get to the quarterback and get the glory as a result, while the inside guys are often reduced to stuffing the run or flushing the quarterback out of the pocket. The latter isn't the most glamorous work, but it's vital nonetheless to the success of any defense. 

Thing is, these days in the NFL, more and more teams are employing both the 3-4 and 4-3 fronts in their defensive schemes, meaning front-seven players must possess the skills to line up in various spots.

If teams are looking for those kinds of players, particularly at defensive tackle, they're in luck in this year's draft. Tackles, which once were simply the fattest guys on the field, have evolved into taller, leaner (in many cases), more athletic players.

There's no better example of this than Mississippi State underclassmanFletcher Cox (6-4, 300), a former high school basketball player and sprinter on his track team. Cox, then weighing just 240 pounds, ran the 4x100 relay.

"We were pretty decent. We made it to the North State [championship]. I was the second leg and sometimes I ran the anchor," recalled Cox, easily the largest member of his squad.

However, he couldn't remember his fastest time, saying it was so long ago and he's now focused exclusively on football. But his track skills have translated well to the gridiron. Cox, in fact, initially started as a high-jumper, but soon gave that up. Yet, while at Mississippi State, he put that experience to good use as he blocked four kicks in his college career.

"I blocked a lot of kicks in practice and coach always told me it would carry over into the game. Blocking a kick changed the whole momentum of the game," Cox added. "Coaches get excited in practice when I do it. You get the whole team going."

That kind of enthusiasm for special teams, combined with his position versatility, make Cox an attractive prospect for teams like the Patriots. 

"I started at 3-technique every game and when coach needed me to move outside and play 5-technique. We had some packages where I played 5-technique," Cox explained.

Memphis junior Dontari Poe (6-4, 346) plays the same position as Cox, but has 50 pounds on him and would appear to be a different type of d-tackle. Yet, Poe maintains that he's just as adept at playing on the edge, if called upon, as he is in the interior.

"Really I'm used to both. We played both in college. Either or would probably be good for me. I'm comfortable playing either or. It's really not a big deal.

"I see myself as someone who can rush the passer a lot more than people think," added Poe. "I am used to playing nose tackle and the 3-technique and I've played some 5-technique. I'm pretty comfortable anywhere on the defensive line.

"I think I'm explosive, very explosive. That's probably my biggest strength. Most people think just because I'm big I do nothing but … I try to use my quickness to my advantage."

With the NFL now a pass-first league and defenses doing a lot more substituting to adjust, Poe realizes that he'll need to be the kind of player who can stay on the field for every down.

"Yeah. It's become more important because the NFL is becoming a passing league.
    But if you can't stop the run you're in a pretty bad situation. You have to be able to do both."

Poe admitted that he needs to be a more consistent player at the next level, even if that means shedding some of his considerable pounds, if the team that drafts him requires it.

Both Cox and Poe could be off the board, though, by the time the Patriots select in the first round at 27 and 31. Luckily, there are still more versatile, athletic players at this position, should they elect to take one there or in the second round, where New England also has a pair of picks.

UConn's Kendall Reyes (6-4, 300), a Nashua, N.H. native, is another such player who qualifies.

"I played receiver, tight end, and linebacker in high school. It sets you with a good base. If you have the type of frame that can put on weight, you can have certain
    advantages over some guys who weren't," Reyes observed. 

"But then again, some people are just naturally gifted, so definitely playing different positions helped with my versatility. We played the 4-3 and the 3-4 [at UConn], so I played a lot of positions in college. We'd do a lot of running things out of the 4-3 and on third down we'd blitz out of the 3-4 package. I was kind of all over the field. I played a lot of positions on the defensive line."

You have to be able to be versatile at the next level and I think that's one of the things I bring to the table. I had a decent week at the Senior Bowl and I just want to build on that and have a good week at the combine. Things are going well so far. I have interviews tonight [Saturday] and the next couple of days, then we get on the field."

Michigan's Mike Martin (6-1, 306) could be a consideration in the middle of the draft, given his shorter-than-normal height for the position. But Martin believes that size motivates him and gives him a leverage advantage over taller opponents.

"I love being called 'small.' I love it," stressed Martin. "I have a chip on my shoulder, and I've been called ‘undersized' my whole life really when it comes to playing the position. My leverage and everything that goes into playing nose, I'm just really good at."

A reason for that could be Martin's background as a wrestler - another attractive quality for the Patriots, who've recruited former wrestlers in the past (most notably, guard Stephen Neal).

"It helps me a lot," said Martin of his wrestling training and how it applies to football. "I'm still working with it. I like to roll around on the mat a little bit. It's a little bit of unorthodox training, I'd guess you'd say, but it helps me. It's something I try not to lose."

Martin's strength, however, is unquestioned. Martin said he was hoping to break the Combine record for 225-pound bench press reps (49) - a realistic goal, as Martin's career best is 42.

New England currently doesn't own any picks in rounds 5, 6, or 7, where someone like Derek Wolfe (6-5, 290) of Cincinnati is expected to hear his name called.

Wolfe's size, versatility, and relative obscurity draw instant comparisons to Mike Wright, a former Bearcat who was just released by the Patriots a few days ago after several productive seasons. 

"Everything I've heard [about Wright] is good," said Wolfe. "He's a hard worker. He's just the type of guy you want to model your play after."

Wolfe's self-described "motor" make him a "relentless pass rusher" who produced 9.5 sacks for Cincinnati in 2011, with four, five, and one the previous three seasons.

"I'll play it all … wherever they want me to play. I feel most comfortable at the 3-technique and the 3-4 defensive end. Those are the two positions I like the most," admitted Wolfe. "I played both in college. We were a 3-4 and a 4-3 … on third downs a lot of times, I'd be on the edge. On first and second, I was inside." 

In 2011, the fulcrum of the Patriots defense was right where you'd expect it to be - right up the middle. Defensive tackles Vince Wilfork andKyle Love were arguably the most consistent Patriots defenders last season.

But New England now has some critical decisions to make in that area. Do they try to retain some of the older players they've signed recently (e.g.,Gerard Warren) or continue developing players they've already drafted who've shown flashes but been injury-prone - the likes of Ron Brace,Brandon Deaderick, and Myron Pryor?

If they choose option three - the draft - they'll find plenty of intriguing prospects from which to choose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

After posting 23 sacks over the last two seasons, Curry put himself on the NFL radar as a rising pass rusher. He measured 6-foot-3 and 266 pounds and is viewed by analysts as a likely second-round pick. Because he didn't play at a big-time college, Curry enters the NFL with a chip on his shoulder. "I like stuff like that. I love being the underdog," he said. "I feel the underdog always works harder, always has something to prove. That’s my personality. I just love to work, I love to get better. I just like the game of football. When you’re in love with this game and you’ve got a passion for it it’s a different mindset." 

BB is going to love this.  I think this raises is stock in the Pats eyes imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's a video of Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf-9-fYz-sE

You can't see him take the ball away from the defender because of the distance of the camera.  However, what you see is the CB giving Hill 10 yards of cushion.  Hill eats that up in a nano second and is 5 yards past the defender in a heartbeat.  The ball is badly underthrown and the defender is in great position for the pick, however, Hill somehow takes it away.

Michael Irvin noted that Hill has strong hands.  Josh McDaniels was shown saying, "4.30" talking to someone off camera.  Belichick was later shown in the stands watching the WR drills.  Hmm, I wonder if he was summonsed up to the field to watch the drills?  The last time I saw BB in the stands, it was last year during the RB drills and he drafted two of them.

That damn GT option offense makes it so hard to evaluate.  It took Thomas a couple of years to start making an impact so I wouldn't expect Hill to be an immediate polished receiver but what he can do it knock the top off from day one running 9 routes.  At 6-4, 215 and 4.30 flat, he has Randy Moss size.  While at Florida State, Moss ran a 4.25 40 with only Deion being faster, 4.23.  Hill at 4.30 is close enough, lol. 

Anyone see what Criner ran?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Draft brings plenty of pressure By Paul Perillo, Patriots Football Weekly Posted 18 hours ago The Patriots have been in need of pass rushers for quite some time and if they choose to use the draft to find some there are plenty of defensive ends/outside linebackers who could fit into the system nicely. INDIANAPOLIS - Ever since veteran stalwarts like  Willie McGinest ,  Mike Vrabel ,  Richard Seymour  and  Rosevelt Colvin  left New England it seems the Patriots have been in need of versatile edge players. Despite this somewhat glaring void, the team hasn't really addressed it much in recent seasons. Bill Belichick  did tab Florida defensive end  Jermaine Cunningham  in the second round in 2010, hoping he could make the transition to outside linebacker and provide a presence off the edge. But thus far in his two seasons Cunningham has been either injured or largely ineffective when it comes to creating pressure on the passer. The coach also bolstered the area via free agency last summer when he grabbed veterans  Andre Carter  and  Mark Anderson , and he was rewarded when both turned in solid seasons with 10 sacks apiece. But both are free agents now, and Carter is coming off surgery to repair a torn left quad. Having either or both back in the fold for 2012 is far from a certainty (although Carter's agent,  Carl Poston , said he believes the Patriots are interested in bringing him back). So, that leaves us in an all-too-familiar position when it comes to forecasting the Patriots biggest draft needs. A case could certainly be made for secondary help and Belichick almost always finds defensive backs early in the draft. Wide receiver is another area of need as the team could use a dose a youthful athleticism, not to mention a bona fide deep threat. However, it would hard to argue that, as has been the case the past couple of seasons, an edge pass rusher is at the top of the list. Whether the Patriots to dip into those waters in what most experts agree is an average crop remains to be seen. But there are some interesting prospects with varying skills that come into the league with a track record of success getting after the quarterback. The problem with many of them is trying to determine exactly how they fit into the Patriots plans. Falcons general manager  Thomas Dimitroff explained that finding versatile players is becoming increasing important along the front seven because so many teams are trying to use the same personnel regardless of scheme. "Everyone in this league is playing for the most part a mix of 3-4 and 4-3and we'll more than likely stick with most of the personnel we do have," Dimitroff said. "[Versatility] definitely does [become more important]. That's the key word. In this league I believe you have to be adaptable and you have to be versatile at a lot of positions across the board. I believe defensively the element of versatility is important when you are acquiring talent - whether it's in the draft or if it's in free agency." One such player is South Carolina's  Melvin Ingram , who most experts believe will be gone somewhere in the middle of the first round. Ingram is super athletic but stands just 6-1, which is much smaller than Belichick prefers his outside linebackers to be. But Ingram also played in a variety of ways for the Gamecocks, starting his collegiate career as a true linebacker before moving up front and playing with his hand in the dirt. So projecting his abilities in pass coverage or outside setting the edge may not be as difficult for Ingram as some others because he actually has evidence doing so on tape for teams to see. "I feel like playing so many roles helped me. I feel like my coach gave me the opportunity to show my athletic ability in every way," Ingram said. "I had to play my role on the team. I did whatever the team needed me to do. At that point in time [earlier in my career] it wasn't for me to be a starter." Ingram has spent the past several weeks working out with another "undersized" edge rusher, Denver's  Von Miller . Miller, the reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year, is working with Ingram to refine his game. "We just try to compete against each other every day. Obviously, he's the Defensive Rookie of the Year, so I just try to pattern myself after him because I feel like he's had a lot of success in the NFL," Ingram said. "We're similar athletically so I'm just trying to learn as much as a I can from him." Illinois'  Whitney Mercilus  has the prototypical size (6-4, 265) to success as a Patriots outside linebacker. He opted to leave school a year early and was informed by the draft advisory board that he figured to be a third-round pick. But his stock is rising during the pre-draft process as many teams are apparently smitten by his one monster season with the Illini in 2011 in which he had 16 of his 18 career sacks. "I'd say [one-year wonder] is a negative label," Mercilus answered when asked about his big junior campaign. "I was able to put everything together last year and I still feel like I'm learning the game. I think my success was due to hard work and I can't say I'm surprised because I made it happen. "There's no fluke to it - 16 is 16." Mercilus' breakout campaign is reminiscent of Giants standout  Jason Pierre-Paul , who like Mercilus is of Haitian descent. Unlike the one-hit wonder label, Mercilus is fine with comparisons to JPP. "Of course," he said. "He's in the NFL making plays for the Giants. I'm thankful for that comparison. I'm trying to improve my techniques, playing the run the better and if I can do those things like he did I'll be pretty excited." In addition to Ingram and Mercilus there are several hybrid types that could change positions at the NFL level depending on the scheme. Alabama's Courtney Upshaw  (6-1, 272), Marshall's  Vinny Curry  (6-3, 265), Oklahoma's  Ronnell Lewis  (6-2, 244), Troy's  Jonathan Massaquoi  (6-2, 250) and Boise State's  Shea McClellin  (6-3, 248) all could be options in the first three rounds for 3-4 teams looking for outside guys. Upshaw, who is projected as a first-round pick, appears more suited for the 4-3 with a thick lower body. Curry (possible second-rounder) said he played some 3-4 during his first two seasons with the Thundering Herd but at end, not outside linebacker. He's too small for such a role for the Patriots but could factor in somewhere depending on how Belichick chooses to run his scheme on 2012. USC's  Nick Perry  (6-2, 250), similar to Mercilus, spent the majority of his time playing defensive end in 4-3 sets. But unlike Mercilus, he would prefer to remain up front rather than trying to adapt to a new spot. "I prefer playing in a 4-3 with my hand in the dirt," Perry admitted. "But as long as I can get after the quarterback I'm happy." In the past a similar description likely would have eliminated a player like Perry from the Patriots consideration, but with the infusion of more 4-3 looks in 2011 and the success of Anderson perhaps he's someone to keep in mind. The same could be said of Clemson's  Andre Branch  (6-4, 260), who showed he did not lack for confidence as soon as he stepped on the podium. "I'm versatile, man. I can do it all," he said when asked if he was a 4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker. "I can put my hand down in the dirt, I can stand up, I can drop back in coverage also. It shows in film. We had certain packages where I got back in coverage standing up. I've done it before. "I'm a natural pass rusher. I have a job to do and that's to better myself and show NFL teams what I'm capable of doing." Virginia's  Cam Johnson  (6-3, 268), is interesting because of his past experience in a Patriots-style 3-4. He played his first two seasons with the Cavaliers for  Al Groh  and worked as an outside linebacker before moving to end when  Mike London  took over as coach. A leg injury hurt his production as a senior but he's still projected with a solid second-round grade. Moving further down the draft board there were a few interesting prospects projected to go in the middle rounds. West Virginia's  Bruce Irvin  (6-3, 245) had tremendous production rushing the passer during his two years in Morgantown - 14 sacks in 2010 and a first-team All-Big East selection in 2011 - and would like the opportunity to do so as an outside linebacker. Now he's hoping to show teams he's ready to bring his abilities to the NFL. He's been working out in Orlando with respected conditioning coach  Tom Shaw and trying to develop some linebacker skills beyond rushing the passer. "It's going to be a lot different at the NFL level and I understand that," said Irvin, who admitted he's always played as a down linemen. "I've always been faster than the guys trying to block me, so there will be some techniques that I'm going to need to learn in order to improve." Tyrone Crawford , a 6-4, 275-pound 'tweener out of Boise State, said he's done a lot of linebacker drills and will be open to anything teams would like him to do. "I've been asked about [playing linebacker], and I've been told to practice some linebacker drills and drops and stuff, because teams may have me do that kind of stuff," Crawford said. "So I've been working on it, working on my drops and my hips and just trying to be the best player I can. I'm open to dropping and stuff, but I just love rushing the passer. So whatever gets me rushing the passer." Wake Forest's  Kyle Wilber  (6-3, 250) is another player with experience playing both spots. He isn't known as a pass rusher but said there's a good reason for that. "With our team, the way we did it, it was more 75 percent of the time I was dropping back in coverage," Wilber said. "So hopefully I can show them that during my junior tape it shows me a lot at defensive end, my explosiveness off the edge, how I used my hands, how physical I was with tackles, even with my small size. Hopefully they see I can get the job done. "My junior year halfway through the season I was a defensive end, then we switched to a 3-4 defense and they put me at outside linebacker. There are some 4-3 teams that like me at defensive end and some 4-3 teams that like me at SAM linebacker. Then there are 3-4 teams that like me at linebacker." Wilber explained how he feels his speed and physical nature will benefit him at linebacker. "I think I'll be one physical linebacker and I'm a smart football player. I know everything our defense does, what our corners do, what our safeties do," Wilber said. "I know I'm going to have to keep up with speedy wideouts and cover fast tight ends like  [Aaron] Hernandez  with the Patriots. I like to know what everybody is doing around me so I can best put myself and other players in the best position." There's a lot to choose from, and some different types of skill sets to decipher, but if the Patriots indeed decide to take the plunge there's more than enough talent to go around.    
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

"Illinois' Whitney Mercilus has the prototypical size (6-4, 265) to success as a Patriots outside linebacker. He opted to leave school a year early and was informed by the draft advisory board that he figured to be a third-round pick."

Been saying it for a while that on tape, Mercilus does not look like a 1st round talent.

I also like Tyrone Crawford a lot, hope to see some more tape on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Calvin played for Chan Gailey who ran more of a pro-style/vertical offense. I think the 29 YPC is a bit misleading.  He clearly has some downfield ability, but when you option a team to sleep then hit a long one over the top, your YAC is gonna be high.  Again, I'm not dumping on the kid, but we've all been talking for months about getting more of a finished product if they target a WR on day 1/2.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

On Calvin, right but was saying 78 catches was 2nd all time at Tech.  They love running the ball always have.  I hear what you are saying, just liking what I'm seeing from the Georgia and Georgia Tech (20 min away from me) boys.

To me only one big question on Hill smart is he, can he get an O or is he a 9 route only type kid because he doesn't get it.  From what I've read about that he's not and loves to watch film ect but anyone can write that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]After posting 23 sacks over the last two seasons, Curry put himself on the NFL radar as a rising pass rusher. He measured 6-foot-3 and 266 pounds and is viewed by analysts as a likely second-round pick. Because he didn't play at a big-time college, Curry enters the NFL with a chip on his shoulder. "I like stuff like that. I love being the underdog ," he said. " I feel the underdog always works harder, always has something to prove. That’s my personality. I just love to work, I love to get better . I just like the game of football. When you’re in love with this game and you’ve got a passion for it it’s a different mindset."  BB is going to love this.  I think this raises is stock in the Pats eyes imo
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Agree, I really like this kid... brings it on every down, which is one of, if not my favorite characteristic in a player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

unofficial 4.59 and 4.63 for Criner Frown not very good, but not the end of the world either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Agree, I really like this kid... brings it on every down, which is one of, if not my favorite characteristic in a player.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I think if there's one player that will get a unanimous vote here will be Curry.  Kid is just a stud, plays hard, speed, power football IQ.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]unofficial 4.59 and 4.63 for Criner   not very good, but not the end of the world either.
    Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

He actually ran in his projected range, I think he's profiled as more a good sized possession WR all along.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Congrats!  Your comment on the relevance of being "field fast" is right on.  While straight-line speed is impressive and 3-cone performance supportive it's more what you do with what you got that ultimately counts the most.  In addition, the ability to find the ball, react and even fight for possession are equally important.  Lastly, it's always rewarding to get additional yards after the catch...but at least catch the ball FIRST (which presumes good route running and the ability to gain separation. Until such time as BB gets to address all the other stuff we need to temper our enthusiasm for "speed" as the ultimate objective.  It's why Blackman is rated top 5-10 in this draft.
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Ha, thanks.

Yeah, its like Mayock says, a time better or worse than expected can cause you to go back to the tape to see if a kids play speed />/< timed speed; just another evaluation tool.  Sure people (me included) expected Adams to run in the 4.3's, but 4.4 with his elite quicks/COD is good enough for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think if there's one player that will get a unanimous vote here will be Curry.  Kid is just a stud, plays hard, speed, power football IQ.  

I'd agree, there isn't a lot to not like about the kid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Rich Eisen 40's are prob the most entertaining 6+ second clips that you'll see on TV, ha.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What was the last time there was a draft with so many WRs 1st to 4th rnd grades?  There are 20 to 25 WRs IMO with 1st to 4th round grades.  If 25 WRs go, that's 1 out every 5 players is a WR.  Can anyone remember a WR that could compare to this one? as far as WRs that will be drafted?

So based on just averages, the more WRs drafted the best chance at this class putting out 5 pro bowl guys, right?  can we get one? lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow Hill was fastest WR at the combine.

At this point I don't care if they trade back to the early 2nd our trade back up I want Curry, Hill, and Wolfe. Toss in Iloka and I think those would be huge upgrades

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]What was the last time there was a draft with so many WRs 1st to 4th rnd grades?  There are 20 to 25 WRs IMO with 1st to 4th round grades.  If 25 WRs go, that's 1 out every 5 players is a WR.  Can anyone remember a WR that could compare to this one? as far as WRs that will be drafted? So based on just averages, the more WRs drafted the best chance at this class putting out 5 pro bowl guys, right?  can we get one? lol

Def one of the better WR classes that I can remember for both high end talent and overall class depth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

TRUMAINE JOHNSON COULD BE THE PATRIOTS’ KIND OF CORNERBACK

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2012/02/26/trumaine-johnson-could-be-the-patriots-kind-of-cornerback/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a video of Hill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf-9-fYz-sE You can't see him take the ball away from the defender because of the distance of the camera.  However, what you see is the CB giving Hill 10 yards of cushion.  Hill eats that up in a nano second and is 5 yards past the defender in a heartbeat.  The ball is badly underthrown and the defender is in great position for the pick, however, Hill somehow takes it away. Michael Irvin noted that Hill has strong hands.  Josh McDaniels was shown saying, "4.30" talking to someone off camera.  Belichick was later shown in the stands watching the WR drills.  Hmm, I wonder if he was summonsed up to the field to watch the drills?  The last time I saw BB in the stands, it was last year during the RB drills and he drafted two of them. That damn GT option offense makes it so hard to evaluate.  It took Thomas a couple of years to start making an impact so I wouldn't expect Hill to be an immediate polished receiver but what he can do it knock the top off from day one running 9 routes.  At 6-4, 215 and 4.30 flat, he has Randy Moss size.  While at Florida State, Moss ran a 4.25 40 with only Deion being faster, 4.23.  Hill at 4.30 is close enough, lol.  Anyone see what Criner ran?
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

See I wasn't getting hopes up or anything and here comes Faucet talking BB might had been watching this kid (and all the others).  So if he watched drill as well he saw a kid that's not a raw, actually looked good at the routes and the gantlet was excellent.  I don't think he moved to either side of the line much, he ran as straight, with speed (some guys run it slower to run straight) caught them all and hands/arm extension was excellent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I say we double down on Randle and Hill.  31 and 48.  We tag Welker, cut Ocho and bring back Branch to mentor.

Hill is raw, is going to take some time to learn the route tree but he has something Tate and Slater - more size, speed and better hands.

We can get our help on D at 27, 63 and in free agency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : See I wasn't getting hopes up or anything and here comes Faucet talking BB might had been watching this kid (and all the others).  So if he watched drill as well he saw a kid that's not a raw, actually looked good at the routes and the gantlet was excellent.  I don't think he moved to either side of the line much, he ran as straight, with speed (some guys run it slower to run straight) caught them all and hands/arm extension was excellent.
    Raw in terms of running NFL routes.  He looked very smooth in the drills and his hands were strong and soft.  But he didn't look especially crisp coming in and out of breaks but I don't care much about that at this point.  He'll need to check out in the smarts dept as we saw what happens with dumb receivers in our system. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I say we double down on Randle and Hill.  31 and 48.  We tag Welker, cut Ocho and bring back Branch to mentor. Hill is raw, is going to take some time to learn the route tree but he has something Tate and Slater - more size, speed and better hands. We can get our help on D at 27, 63 and in free agency.

I like Hill and M. Jones but I'm with you on the double down WRs.  Pats needs, they can trade both 1st rnd picks into second and get 
    Hill WR
    Curry OLB
    Reyes DE
    Iloka FS
    M. Jones or Randle WR
    P. Blake OC/OG

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

The times that are posted on NFL.com are different; most are significantly slower.  They have Hill at 4.36; Floyd at 4.47; etc.  Must be the official times.  Still a lot to like in this group!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I say we double down on Randle and Hill.  31 and 48.  We tag Welker, cut Ocho and bring back Branch to mentor. Hill is raw, is going to take some time to learn the route tree but he has something Tate and Slater - more size, speed and better hands. We can get our help on D at 27, 63 and in free agency.

I'd rather not spend 2 picks on WR's. I saw target either Randle or Hill then go front 7 on the other early picks. This draft has a ton of front 7 in the late 1st-mid 2nd range. That's where I want to be. Ideally I'd like to trade #27 for an early 2nd and a pick next year. Take Curry at #31, grab either Hill or Randle with that 2nd we traded for, then grab Wolfe or Reyes at #48 and see what it would take to get Iloka

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]The times that are posted on NFL.com are different; most are significantly slower.  They have Hill at 4.36; Floyd at 4.47; etc.  Must be the official times.  Still a lot to like in this group!
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

And Adams is showing 4.55.