***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

Just read Hill had a 1.2s 10yrd split with a 39.5 vertical and 11.1 broad.  1.2 10yrd split is insane. It's almost .2s faster then the other 10yrd split times. They'd have to give him a huge cushion or he'd run right past them

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yeah, a bit disappointing for Joe Adams.  Not as bad as Kendall Wright.  He posted an official 4.61.  Expected to go much faster than that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I have said it already this year. I say it every year and I have not been wrong. I don't care how fast a WR runs "within reason", how tall he is, etc.

It is NO longer speculation about Brady and WR's. Piolis comments confirmed what everyone already believed.

It also will not matter if Brady throws to WR's. He would not be able to know until he starts doing 11 on 11 work with site adjustments against a defense.

It won't matter if the WR can fly, If he has great hands. If he will not "INSTANTLY" read what Brady reads and be "EXACTLY" where he wants him to be he will not throw him the ball. Worse yet, he will just write him off as not being capable to "get it".

I am not doing ANYTHING special in the draft to grab WR's and I still certainly do not want them to take TWO WR unless then end up with an extra late pick from some earlier maneuvers.

Hill comes from an option offense. That would make as much sense to me as the Patriots taking Taylor Price from another running offense. Would make absolutely NO logic to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, a bit disappointing for Joe Adams.  Not as bad as Kendall Wright.  He posted an official 4.61.  Expected to go much faster than that.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Wow, didn't see Wright at 4.61, he's another "football fast" kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

brandon lloyd is looking better and better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I have said it already this year. I say it every year and I have not been wrong. I don't care how fast a WR runs "within reason", how tall he is, etc. It is NO longer speculation about Brady and WR's. Piolis comments confirmed what everyone already believed. It also will not matter if Brady throws to WR's. He would not be able to know until he starts doing 11 on 11 work with site adjustments against a defense. It won't matter if the WR can fly, If he has great hands. If he will not "INSTANTLY" read what Brady reads and be "EXACTLY" where he wants him to be he will not throw him the ball. I am not doing ANYTHING special in the draft to grab WR's and I still certainly do not want them to take TWO WR unless then end up with an extra late pick from some earlier maneuvers. Hill comes from an option offense. That would make as much sense to me as the Patriots taking Taylor Price from another running offense. Would make absolutely NO logic to me.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

And yet they took Price.

McDaniels loved Thomas (another GT WR) so much he traded up to get him. Hill looks like the better of the 2 WR's and I'm sure McDaniels has some saw in it. Not to mention I think Brady will have more faith and leeway in a WR if McDaniels gives his approval.

Brady also gave up on Tate because Tate couln't catch the ball. Hill has extremely soft hand and has a big catch radius.

It's true you might never know if Brady will trust a WR but usually you find better WR's in the earlier rounds and it's had to turn down a guy of Hill's size, speed, and hands

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Wow, didn't see Wright at 4.61, he's another "football fast" kid.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Anyone who has seen Wright play knows that the guy can fly.  Just another reminder not to put a ton of stock in these 40 times.  Some guys can look great in shorts on a track, but really lose a step when the pads come on.  Others don't even notice the weight of their pads.  Film trumps all, but these combine workouts are still fun to follow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, Doug Martin weighs in at 223 pounds... impressive.  IF NE goes RB early (which I don't think will happen), this has to be the kid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Impressive time for Utah State RB Robert Turbin, 4.44 UO at 222pounds... kid has some fr/ggin guns too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm really waiting to see Rainey run. I think he'd make a great return man and provide us with excellent field position

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I'm really waiting to see Rainey run. I think he'd make a great return man and provide us with excellent field position
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

4.37 UO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :

And yet they took Price.
    And yet they wasted a pick. I was right they were wrong. I 've been wrong plenty. I didn't like Solder last year but he did much better than I thought he would. Have no problem being wrong and will be many more times before long no doubt.

McDaniels loved Thomas (another GT WR) so much he traded up to get him. Hill looks like the better of the 2 WR's and I'm sure McDaniels has some saw in it.
    Yep and Thomas has had 22 and 32 catches and McD got fired. Not exactly sure how much site adjustment he's been asked to do and exceeded at either. Heck I think he's a MUCH better receiver than Brandon Tate(not even one any more) too but Tate still had more receptions and a much higher avg in each of their 1st seasons. QB having a lot to do with that obviously.

Not to mention I think Brady will have more faith and leeway in a WR if McDaniels gives his approval.
    That makes absolutely NO difference. Unless it's a known quantity like Llyod. There is no basis for any such assumption.

Brady also gave up on Tate because Tate couln't catch the ball.
    No he gave up on Tate because he didn't trust he knew what he was doing? Who had more spectacular catches than Tate with his very limited attempts? He doesn't seem to know how to play WR as a position, not that he can't catch. You could argue catching punts and kickoffs is as hard or harder than catching passes. People like to remember that one crossing pattern Tate was wide open and he dropped an easy one right in his hands but I remember that ridiculous catch in freezing weather outstretch down the sideline in Chicago. Or that laid out catch for a TD in the endzone from Hoyer. Or the one Brady almost threw it out of bounds on Tate in the endzone and Tate made an unbelievable catch to stay in bounds. Personally I think the throw was off because Tate wasn't where he was supposed to be. There was also a reason Kraft had come out and said they were very excited about Tate during training camp his rookie year. Just watching athleticism is very easily intoxicating.

Hill has extremely soft hand and has a big catch radius. It's true you might never know if Brady will trust a WR but usually you find better WR's in the earlier rounds
    True, with the Blue chippers

and it's hard to turn down a guy of Hill's size, speed, and hands
    Why? You don't build a "team" by just collecting the best athletes.

Non of the above is to say the Patriots won't draft Hill. I simply have absolutely no interest in him simply based on athleticism. If we were not talking about the Patriots, and their and Brady's very clear history. Then yes I would be all for it. I would Never gamble any high picks on such a hit or miss proposition of a position as WR seems to be for their system, if I was the Patriots. That's all I am saying.
    Now if you can tell me they have developed a more tried and true way of being certain they are identifying a WR capable of reading a defense then sure I have no problems. They have shown me they have no ability to do that as an organization.

How does that saying go? If you ignore history you are doomed to repeat it?

Earlier on this board you made a valid point based on Cox and Reyes. Similar type guys, not exactly but why not take the guy later with more value right? So you could make the same argument with the WR, especially given the hit of miss nature of the position for the Pats. Heck go look at Greg Childs, 40, vert, bench, etc, height, coming off an injury so under the radar, coming out of a PRO style offense in Arkansas, etc etc. Same argument.

Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Doug Martin 4.47 at that size, impressive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Impressive time for Utah State RB Robert Turbin, 4.44 UO at 222pounds... kid has some fr/ggin guns too.

Had missed his first, and you are right that kid got some guns on him.  4.44 and 4.47, that's really impressive for a guy over 220 lbs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Had missed his first, and you are right that kid got some guns on him.  4.44 and 4.47, that's really impressive for a guy over 220 lbs.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

you mean the black Incredible HULK?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Had missed his first, and you are right that kid got some guns on him.  4.44 and 4.47, that's really impressive for a guy over 220 lbs.

Bigtime, I've added him to the Rd 5-URFA portion of my board... could be a solid later round get for some team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : you mean the black Incredible HULK?

Reminds me of former FSU RB Greg Jones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Bigtime, I've added him to the Rd 5-URFA portion of my board... could be a solid later round get for some team.

With that speed and size this guy is a sure upgrade over Benni pending he can run with a football in his hands.  Time to go see what this kid is all about.  Know next to nothing about him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : you mean the black Incredible HULK?

Yeah, I don't think I've seen arms that big on a RB in a while.  Can you imagine stiff arm from this guy against a CB or smaller S? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Robert Turbin
    From CBS

Strengths: Possesses good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact. Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than you'd expect for a back of his size. Shows good hands and concentration as a receiver. Looks natural catching the ball. Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time. Possesses a short, squatty frame conducive to tough inside running. Dedication to the weight room is obvious based on an upper body build as impressive as any running back in the country (with the possible exception of Alabama's Trent Richardson) …

Weaknesses: Possesses surprising burst for a back of his build but despite some long runs over his career has limited straight-line speed and can be caught from behind. Is much more explosive in his upfield burst than laterally, especially following the 2010 season in which he tore his ACL. Is a bit top-heavy. Possesses broad shoulders and a heavily muscled up upper-body but only average base. Durability concern. Missed the entire 2010 season with the torn ACL and redshirted in 2007 wih a foot injury, each of which will require a closer look by team doctors at the Combine. Questionable level of competition …

From all that, what I like the most:

"Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time."

In NE, this is a must for a RB.  If a RB wants to get on the field he needs to block, do it well and enjoy the contact.  I don't see this guy going low, he probably tries to put LBs and DEs on their azz

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This is why I enjoy the combine so much, I had not paid attention to this guy so now I'm going to have to see what else I find.

Same with NFL types, just a ok what did I miss on tape on this kid because he looks different (better or worse) out here.  Or someone wasn't looking for a kid his size, probably had him as a 4.6/4.7 guy now they have to look and think 3 down back specially if he does catch the ball as in the strong points on CBS.

ACL a concern, 2010 he should be back 100% now so if his medical is clear I'm ok with it.  Ok don't know if I'm jealous of the arms or thinking how awesome to see a guy his size running over MLBs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Robert Turbin From CBS Strengths: Possesses good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact. Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than you'd expect for a back of his size. Shows good hands and concentration as a receiver. Looks natural catching the ball. Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time. Possesses a short, squatty frame conducive to tough inside running. Dedication to the weight room is obvious based on an upper body build as impressive as any running back in the country (with the possible exception of Alabama's Trent Richardson) … Weaknesses: Possesses surprising burst for a back of his build but despite some long runs over his career has limited straight-line speed and can be caught from behind. Is much more explosive in his upfield burst than laterally, especially following the 2010 season in which he tore his ACL. Is a bit top-heavy. Possesses broad shoulders and a heavily muscled up upper-body but only average base. Durability concern. Missed the entire 2010 season with the torn ACL and redshirted in 2007 wih a foot injury, each of which will require a closer look by team doctors at the Combine. Questionable level of competition …   From all that, what I like the most: "Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time." In NE, this is a must for a RB.  If a RB wants to get on the field he needs to block, do it well and enjoy the contact.  I don't see this guy going low, he probably tries to put LBs and DEs on their azz

Indeed, need to have some pass block ability and you have to hold onto the football.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Indeed, need to have some pass block ability and you have to hold onto the football.

Some video

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Cone times coming in.

Hill 6.88, not bad at all. Better then Kendall Wright and Randle

Looking like Hill's outperforming Randle in the combine

On a side note, K Wright is really hurting his stock at this combine

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

WR's (any of these kids have any character or other concerns on them)

** No particular order **
    Mohamed Sanu
    Rueben Randle
    Marvin Jones
    Marvin McNutt
    Chris Givens
    Joe Adams
    Juron Criner
    Danny Coale
    Stephen Hill
    Brian Quick
    Devon Wylie