***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i do note, rangs new mock does hav the 4 qbs (4-5 im looking/hoping go) in the top 18 picks (and its not even february.....!

he has JORDAN MAKING IT ALL THE WAY TO 30 (ive seen him at 5 recently) while ansah at 21!

got me thinking mb,

how far would you be willing to trade up for to get jordan and what ammo would you use?

we have got to get a legit pass rusher in fa AND OR teh draft.

assume you still like jordan over ansah?

lastly if jordan and ansah are there 25, woudl you trade up for jordan or wait for ansah to fall to you?

[/QUOTE]

I have Jordan higher on my board, think that BB may consider trading into the lower to mid 20's at most to acquire either. 

At the end of the day, I don't see Jordan and Ansah there at 25 nor do I anticipate a ton of moving up in Rd 1 as they really don't have a ton of ammo.

Ideally, I'd love to see them get the big DT in Rd 1 (Williams/Jenkins or maybe Sylvester Willams) and maybe target a Tank Carradine or Margus Hunt or Alex Okafor, etc. towards the end of Rd 2.  IMO, Carradine could potentially provide the best value in this draft as he's a Rd 1 talent (IMO) that will drop due to a late injury.  Love his size, length & motor, has the athleticism to play in space, has some strength at the point, shows awareness and looks assignment sound... just a very good fit for what NE looks for in its edge players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We'll know for sure tomorrow, but there's a chance that another long, athletic SEC edge player could be throwing his hat into the NFL Draft.

Alabama's RS Soph OLB Adrian Hubbard (6-6, 250) has reportedly "received a favorable grade from the NFL's draft advisory committee."... he also led Alabama in TFL (11) and sacks (7) this season.  I haven't been able to find any recent tape on this kid, but the length, athleticism and pedigree alone would be enough for me to add him to my board, likley in the Rd 1/2 range.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this week, like every week solidifies my thoughts that a pss rusher is the #1 need on this team.  i post i there beacuse you expres the opposite.

w have no pressure wihtout a blitz. get no press with 4 men. we would have a great de if we can rush 4 and get pressure often.

my first move (after reatining our guys) is getting a real pass rusher in free agency.

#2 free agent safety

#3 speed lb.

draft

rhodes, big outside wr, stud o line.

redo beraadys contract if need cap room

use 2014 pick if needed to move up to get the player we need.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you think I didn't say we needed to add a pass rusher because I've been saying all along that we do, however it's where the rush is coming from that makes the difference between our arguments. I think the edge rush will be fine and I like our current edge DE's but I think the interior rush is what's really lacking. They are stacking layers on Wilfork and almost ignoring whatever guy they put next to him. This D is built for pressure up the middle but they can't generate it. If you add a Williams or Jenkins next to Wilfork then the opponents are going to be in for a rough day, because you can't double Wilfork, Williams/Jenkins, and Jones. Not to mention pressure up the middle is usually more effective than pressure from the edge

[/QUOTE]

thanks for clarifying.

i do like pressure up the middle. i dotn think j williams is a penetrator, pass rusher. jenkins maybe. syl williams moreso. if we could get syl williams in rd 2 that could be helpful or floyd possibly. they both may likely go in top half of rd 2 i think.

if i did this id have to add an outside wr in fa with safety, along with de. a tall order

so i could still get top cb in rd 1 and o line in rd 3.

if traded for another pick that would help.

maybe w emake a go with what we got at safety if we can get a penetrating dt and  pass rushing de.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i do note, rangs new mock does hav the 4 qbs (4-5 im looking/hoping go) in the top 18 picks (and its not even february.....!

he has JORDAN MAKING IT ALL THE WAY TO 30 (ive seen him at 5 recently) while ansah at 21!

got me thinking mb,

how far would you be willing to trade up for to get jordan and what ammo would you use?

lastly if jordan and ansah are there 25, woudl you trade up for jordan or wait for ansah to fall to you?

[/QUOTE]

I have Jordan higher on my board, think that BB may consider trading into the lower to mid 20's at most to acquire either. 

At the end of the day, I don't see Jordan and Ansah there at 25 nor do I anticipate a ton of moving up in Rd 1 as they really don't have a ton of ammo.

Ideally, I'd love to see them get the big DT in Rd 1 (Williams/Jenkins or maybe Sylvester Willams) and maybe target a Tank Carradine or Margus Hunt or Alex Okafor, etc. towards the end of Rd 2.  IMO, Carradine could potentially provide the best value in this draft as he's a Rd 1 talent (IMO) that will drop due to a late injury.  Love his size, length & motor, has the athleticism to play in space, has some strength at the point, shows awareness and looks assignment sound... just a very good fit for what NE looks for in its edge players.

[/QUOTE]

i didnt se fsu play this year. not on tv locally. 

see him lsited at 6 4 and 6 5.

how much of his 11 sacks due to being paired with werner?

in teh end, i ve speculated that ansaha and jordan would rise maybe too high as well.

agree on ammo, though i persobnally wouldnt rule out 2014 picks as ive stated (how much youth can a team have? and id raher have 3 or 4 studs over 8 new jags.)

syl williams could be a move.

carradien might make end of rd 2 with injury. okafor i doubt

hunt small chance (probably not).

odds say get the pass rushing de in fa.

hwat do you think about getting a penetrator over a run stuffer like jesse williams or even jenkins?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

got me thinking mb,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

in teh end, i ve speculated that ansaha and jordan would rise maybe too high as well.

agree on ammo, though i persobnally wouldnt rule out 2014 picks as ive stated (how much youth can a team have? and id raher have 3 or 4 studs over 8 new jags.)

hwat do you think about getting a penetrator over a run stuffer like jesse williams or even jenkins?

[/QUOTE]

Carradine has the ability to create on his own... certainly playing across from Werner helps, but Werner also benefits from playing across from Carradine. 

I don't see BB leveraging 2014 unless there is a must have kid or two, personally I don't see a must have player or need at this point.

BB generally runs a gap control defense, especially with his interior DT's.  With that said, he seems to prefer the big wide body types to man the middle, players that can eat up blocks, control the double/gaps etc. (thus freeing up the edge players to make more plays)... a skill set that both Williams and Jenkins can provide at a high level.  This doesn't mean they can't push the pocket and pressure from the interior, they're just not expected to throw up huge sack totals... for example VW's career high in sacks for a season is 3.5 (he only has 16 in 138 regular season games over 9 seasons). 

I don't think either player is incapable of penetrating (both have pretty good quicks/movement ability for their size), they're just not the types of players that use quickness to shoot gaps like some smaller, quicker 43 DT's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

got me thinking mb,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Carradine has the ability to create on his own... certainly playing across from Werner helps, but Werner also benefits from playing across from Carradine. 

I don't see BB leveraging 2014 unless there is a must have kid or two, personally I don't see a must have player or need at this point.

BB generally runs a gap control defense, especially with his interior DT's.  With that said, he seems to prefer the big wide body types to man the middle, players that can eat up blocks, control the double/gaps etc. (thus freeing up the edge players to make more plays)... a skill set that both Williams and Jenkins can provide at a high level.  This doesn't mean they can't push the pocket and pressure from the interior, they're just not expected to throw up huge sack totals... for example VW's career high in sacks for a season is 3.5 (he only has 16 in 138 regular season games over 9 seasons). 

I don't think either player is incapable of penetrating (both have pretty good quicks/movement ability for their size), they're just not the types of players that use quickness to shoot gaps like some smaller, quicker 43 DT's.

[/QUOTE]

"BB generally runs a gap control defense, especially with his interior DT's. "

yes i too see this.

"unless there is a must have kid or two"

not sure i agree with this.

id must have several but cant do all with 1 rd 1 pick :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 32 Board:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

*DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- John Jenkins

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

*CB- Logan Ryan

DT- Sylvester Williams

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins

CB- Xavier Rhodes

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Markus Wheaton

S- Zeke Motta

Rd 4-7

WR- Conner Vernon

LB- Kiko Alonso

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

TE- Travis Kelce

DT- Cory Grissom

DL- Quinton Dial

S- John Boyett

WR TJ Moe

*Denotes Underclassmen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Do you think there's any chance the Pats take a TE?  Seeing how the Pats have brought in many FA over the years and also how Gronk and Hernandez have missed playing time over the past 2 years leads me to believe there's a chance they spend a pick in this area.

Thoughts?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you think there's any chance the Pats take a TE?  Seeing how the Pats have brought in many FA over the years and also how Gronk and Hernandez have missed playing time over the past 2 years leads me to believe there's a chance they spend a pick in this area.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

They still have Ballard next year. I do like thevTE from ND. Him , Gronk, Aaron and Ballard woud be sick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

i dont see it.

next year we carry 4 of 5 (INCLUDING ballard) we have should be enough except for practicve squad maybe

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I don't know about you guys but it seems like every mock draft has the Patriots taking WR Tavon Austin from WV.  As a player I really like Austin but I really don't think the Pats draft him seeing that they have guys like Demps coming back and Vareen/Woodhead.  Austin is extremely dynamic and can do a lot of things however I feel like he'll break down quickly in the NFL.  One guy I would go after in 2nd/3rd round is Austin's teammate Stedman Bailey.  Seems like a more traditional WR but can play on the outside and in the slot.  He's been tremendously productive and looks like a good route runner.  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsNut5480's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know about you guys but it seems like every mock draft has the Patriots taking WR Tavon Austin from WV.  As a player I really like Austin but I really don't think the Pats draft him seeing that they have guys like Demps coming back and Vareen/Woodhead.  Austin is extremely dynamic and can do a lot of things however I feel like he'll break down quickly in the NFL.  One guy I would go after in 2nd/3rd round is Austin's teammate Stedman Bailey.  Seems like a more traditional WR but can play on the outside and in the slot.  He's been tremendously productive and looks like a good route runner.  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I just don't see Austin as a good fit for the Pats. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands but in the end I don't think he'd make as big of an impact on the Pats as going D early and taking a WR a little later in the draft. Esp, since I'm convinced they are looking to convert Demps into a WR and he's got wheels like no one else in the league

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Quick question.

Who, likely to be on the board at 32 and/or 64, could project to beat out any of our current starters by Week 1-8?

I don't see it.  This draft is for depth and future so I would not be shocked to see BB trade back and out as much as possible.

[/QUOTE]

If Jessie Williams or Jenkins is available, I could see them lining up next to Vince in week 1. At #64 I'm going by position instead of player and I would say SS? This is based on if they keep all their current starters

[/QUOTE]

So Kyle Love is considered the weakest link?  Not sure I agree.  He's pretty stout against the run.  But Williams and Jenkins are bigger and could develop into better pros.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this week, like every week solidifies my thoughts that a pss rusher is the #1 need on this team.  i post i there beacuse you expres the opposite.

w have no pressure wihtout a blitz. get no press with 4 men. we would have a great de if we can rush 4 and get pressure often.

my first move (after reatining our guys) is getting a real pass rusher in free agency.

#2 free agent safety

#3 speed lb.

draft

rhodes, big outside wr, stud o line.

redo beraadys contract if need cap room

use 2014 pick if needed to move up to get the player we need.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you think I didn't say we needed to add a pass rusher because I've been saying all along that we do, however it's where the rush is coming from that makes the difference between our arguments. I think the edge rush will be fine and I like our current edge DE's but I think the interior rush is what's really lacking. They are stacking layers on Wilfork and almost ignoring whatever guy they put next to him. This D is built for pressure up the middle but they can't generate it. If you add a Williams or Jenkins next to Wilfork then the opponents are going to be in for a rough day, because you can't double Wilfork, Williams/Jenkins, and Jones. Not to mention pressure up the middle is usually more effective than pressure from the edge

[/QUOTE]

I like this argument a lot.  Look at JJ Watt and his 20.5 sacks.  Most came from rushing up the middle against a less athletic guard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey all I was wondering what 5 schools did you watch the most of this year? I wasn't keeping track but my 5 are most likely

1. Notre Dame

2.Oregon

3. Alabama

4.Geogia

5.FSU or LSU (not sure who I watched more)

[/QUOTE]

Watched every ND game and basically whatever 3:30 SEC game was on CBS (I love uncle Verne!)... also watched most primetime night games, when ND was playing at that time.

[/QUOTE]

Agree Uncle Verne is a good dude! Its difficult to ignore all those SEC matchups, seemed like there was a good one every week. I was really hoping ND would have another 9:30 am in Dublin next year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Quick question.

Who, likely to be on the board at 32 and/or 64, could project to beat out any of our current starters by Week 1-8?

I don't see it.  This draft is for depth and future so I would not be shocked to see BB trade back and out as much as possible.

[/QUOTE]

If Jessie Williams or Jenkins is available, I could see them lining up next to Vince in week 1. At #64 I'm going by position instead of player and I would say SS? This is based on if they keep all their current starters

[/QUOTE]

So Kyle Love is considered the weakest link?  Not sure I agree.  He's pretty stout against the run.  But Williams and Jenkins are bigger and could develop into better pros.

[/QUOTE]

Originally I thought Ninkovich but he's done a great job this year. I like Love alot and he should be in the rotation but yes I would say him or Gregory ( and maybe I'd even lean towards Gregory as the weaker link at this point) but I think we need more big bodies up front. Someone who can play the run and collapse the pocket would be great and free up Vince as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"In the NFL, technique is more important than any physical skillset an athlete has. Players can’t get by with just their physical talent. This is the concern that lies with the Gators’ Elam and he has to clean it up once he gets into the pros or he will be picked apart."

can gators S elam cover in the NFL?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42288/321/can-gators-s-elam-cover

[/QUOTE]

A couple of thoughts:

1.  Pretty sure the first play is where Elam eventually caught up to Beckham and stripped him of the ball near the sideline, with Florida recovering... doesn't make up for a blown coverage from a technique perspective, but it erases the big play.

2.  This guy is nitpicking (2) plays as evidence that Elam can't cover?  Perform the same exercise with all highly rated safeties and tell me what you find.  Elam is asked to play a ton in coverage (deep/slot/man/zone, etc.) and I haven't seen many passes completed against him (have watched every tape I can find), let alone for big plays. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

*DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- John Jenkins

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

*CB- Logan Ryan

DT- Sylvester Williams

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins

CB- Xavier Rhodes

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Markus Wheaton

S- Zeke Motta

Rd 4-7

WR- Conner Vernon

LB- Kiko Alonso

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

TE- Travis Kelce

DT- Cory Grissom

DL- Quinton Dial

S- John Boyett

WR TJ Moe

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

hey MB how's it going.

You expecting "all" of the guys you have listed under Rd1 to be available at 31/32 if Pats make SB? Seems many early mocks have some of them long gone by that point??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

i dont see it.

next year we carry 4 of 5 (INCLUDING ballard) we have should be enough except for practicve squad maybe

[/QUOTE]

I like how BB brought in Ballard off waivers and I'm excited to see this guy play next year but I have few questions about him. 1. He's had about 2 or 3 injuries now in 2years so is he a guy that'll be always on/off the injury report. 2. Diffrent Offense 3. 38 career receptions and 4 tds doesn't make him a lock for that 3rd TE spot. I like his potential though!

I'm not saying thy should spend a 1st or 2nd on one but I like this TE class and think it wouldn't hurt to add a guy like Michael Williams or Jake Stoneburner

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

i dont see it.

[/QUOTE]

I like how BB brought in Ballard off waivers and I'm excited to see this guy play next year but I have few questions about him. 1. He's had about 2 or 3 injuries now in 2years so is he a guy that'll be always on/off the injury report. 2. Diffrent Offense 3. 38 career receptions and 4 tds doesn't make him a lock for that 3rd TE spot. I like his potential though!

I'm not saying thy should spend a 1st or 2nd on one but I like this TE class and think it wouldn't hurt to add a guy like Michael Williams or Jake Stoneburner

[/QUOTE]

I agree that he likely won't spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on a TE, but bringing in depth on Day 3 is an option... Cincy's Travis Kelce (6-6 260) is the top TE on my board at that range... I also like Williams and Stoneburner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

*S- Matt Elam

*DE/OLB- Sam Montgomery

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- John Jenkins

S- Kenny Vaccaro

OL- Barrett Jones

Rd 1-2

*CB- Logan Ryan

DT- Sylvester Williams

CB- Jordan Poyer

*WR- DeAndre Hopkins

CB- Xavier Rhodes

Rd 2

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Robert Woods

C/OG- Travis Frederick

Rd 2-3

OLB/DE- Brandon Jenkins

CB- Melvin White

CB- Micah Hyde

S- Shawn Williams

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Markus Wheaton

S- Zeke Motta

Rd 4-7

WR- Conner Vernon

LB- Kiko Alonso

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

TE- Travis Kelce

DT- Cory Grissom

DL- Quinton Dial

S- John Boyett

WR TJ Moe

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

hey MB how's it going.

You expecting "all" of the guys you have listed under Rd1 to be available at 31/32 if Pats make SB? Seems many early mocks have some of them long gone by that point??

[/QUOTE]

Hey Low, Happy Tuesdee.

I don't expect all of them to make it, just stacking my board for players that would interest me in that range.  If all are gone, the Rd 1-2 kids would then be at the top for me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

i dont see it.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that he likely won't spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on a TE, but bringing in depth on Day 3 is an option... Cincy's Travis Kelce (6-6 260) is the top TE on my board at that range... I also like Williams and Stoneburner.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Kelce is intriguing. He kind of reminds me of a poor mans Tyler Eifert

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In looking at the DTs in our range, Williams and Jenkins, neither appear to be the type of player that will get pressure up the middle on a QB.  Below are scouting reports I saw:

WILLIAMS:

WEAKNESSES: Bit of a one-trick pony as Williams does not possess the quickness or the agility to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. Must do a better job of protecting his knees as he is susceptible to cut blocks. Too often raises his pad level at the snap, negating some of his power and making him all the more vulnerable to cuts, as he possesses only moderate flexibility.

Has to do a better job of getting his hands up in passing lanes as he rarely gets home as a pass rusher (just three passes broken up in 25 career starts at Alabama).

JENKINS:

WEAKNESSES: Provides little in terms of an interior pass rush. Is simply too wide to not get slowed down while squeezing through tight gaps in the interior line and has only phone booth quickness.

Wears down quickly and will need to be substituted often to be fully effective in the NFL. Allows his pad level to rise as he tires, which negates his strength.

So, if gaining interior pressure from these guys is the prime motivator to take them with the eye to replace Love/Deaderick next to VW, it doesn't appear either athlete will provide the hoped pass rush.

I'm still leaning towards big physical CB or Strong Safety as my top desire but still would like to see more speed and pass coverage ability at MLB.  When teams hurry up against us, Spikes is exposed.  He is not a 3 down LB in my opinion.  I am wondering how Hightower would do if moved inside since he is faster (not sure if quicker or more instinctive) than Spikes and we could then either add an OLB or MLB to improve our speed at the second level.

I do think we are limited in our depth at LB in general.  I don't want to see Ninkovich back there.  He was a disaster when he played for Spikes in Week 17.  Tracy White and Niko Koutouvides are UFAs after the season and Dane Fletcher is restricted and coming off a knee.  This leaves us just Rivera after starters Hightower, Spikes and Mayo.  Dropping a DE back like Ninko or Cunningham only slows us down.

What do you guys think of Stanford's Chase Thomas?  6-4, 248 with some speed seems to be a good play maker and shows ability to get in the back field and make plays.  I remember being impressed with him against Cal where he had 4 TFLs, 1 sack, 1 FF and 1 FR.  Seems like an end of Round 2 type and I would think be a smart player.  I don't see him on Mb's board.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

In looking at the DTs in our range, Williams and Jenkins, neither appear to be the type of player that will get pressure up the middle on a QB.  Below are scouting reports I saw:

WILLIAMS:

WEAKNESSES: Bit of a one-trick pony as Williams does not possess the quickness or the agility to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. Must do a better job of protecting his knees as he is susceptible to cut blocks. Too often raises his pad level at the snap, negating some of his power and making him all the more vulnerable to cuts, as he possesses only moderate flexibility.

Has to do a better job of getting his hands up in passing lanes as he rarely gets home as a pass rusher (just three passes broken up in 25 career starts at Alabama).

JENKINS:

WEAKNESSES: Provides little in terms of an interior pass rush. Is simply too wide to not get slowed down while squeezing through tight gaps in the interior line and has only phone booth quickness.

Wears down quickly and will need to be substituted often to be fully effective in the NFL. Allows his pad level to rise as he tires, which negates his strength.

So, if gaining interior pressure from these guys is the prime motivator to take them with the eye to replace Love/Deaderick next to VW, it doesn't appear either athlete will provide the hoped pass rush.

I'm still leaning towards big physical CB or Strong Safety as my top desire but still would like to see more speed and pass coverage ability at MLB.  When teams hurry up against us, Spikes is exposed.  He is not a 3 down LB in my opinion.  I am wondering how Hightower would do if moved inside since he is faster (not sure if quicker or more instinctive) than Spikes and we could then either add an OLB or MLB to improve our speed at the second level.

I do think we are limited in our depth at LB in general.  I don't want to see Ninkovich back there.  He was a disaster when he played for Spikes in Week 17.  Tracy White and Niko Koutouvides are UFAs after the season and Dane Fletcher is restricted and coming off a knee.  This leaves us just Rivera after starters Hightower, Spikes and Mayo.  Dropping a DE back like Ninko or Cunningham only slows us down.

What do you guys think of Stanford's Chase Thomas?  6-4, 248 with some speed seems to be a good play maker and shows ability to get in the back field and make plays.  I remember being impressed with him against Cal where he had 4 TFLs, 1 sack, 1 FF and 1 FR.  Seems like an end of Round 2 type and I would think be a smart player.  I don't see him on Mb's board.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Faucet,

I'm very high on Chase Thomas, and most Stanford players for that matter... they're a bunch of smart, tough, well coached kids that always give a good effort.  I had Thomas on my board until recently and if he weighs in above 250 during the Combine/Pro-Day, he'll prob be added back.  He's more of a jack of all trades than pure pass-rusher, but is a tough, versatile high motor kid that should get the attention of BB/NC.