***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I will say that, with the addition of these picks, I could definitely see a double dip at WR...assuming they can find ways to address DL and DB too (Mallet trade?).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

I will say that, with the addition of these picks, I could definitely see a double dip at WR...assuming they can find ways to address DL and DB too (Mallet trade?).

make my day, high 2nd, but htey have 10 qbs to choose from. we'll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Bb fleeced minny...time to reset 

really nice. Move by bb...now go get a wr...

Depends on who we get. Minn might have fleeced BB. Late 2nd and 3rd. The Pats could be hedging their bets but I always like to take a higher talent them a handful of pebbles and hoping one is a gem

I don't think,so. We all said the strength of this draft is in rounds 2-3. we now have 4 picks there plus an early 4th. Right in the sweet spot.

retrospectively, I,wished we offered sanders a bit more money as we now have another 3rd. 

we could walk out with a cb, WR, de and DT we all talked about. all the dt's like Williams, Jenkins,Hankins are all there. Carradine, okafor, hunt still there...bailey, Patton, Rogers, etc still there...sstill lots of talent to choose from and bb just strengthened his position big time in the swettest places in this draft. 

List of prospects who could go in the second

QB: Barkley, Nassib, Smith, maybe Glennon

NT: S Williams, J Williams, J Jenkins

DT: Short

DE: Hunt, Moore, Okafor, Carradine

CB: Taylor, Rhodes, Banks, Slay

S: Cyprien

LB: Minter, Teo, Alonso

WR: Allen, Woods, Hunter, Williams, Wheaton

TE: Ertz

OG: Warford, Winters

OT: Menelik

C: Jones, Shwenke

RB: Lacy

I think there's still plenty there that other teams will want. Pats will get the ones they want.

rhodes is gone.

there are 32 pkcks and we are near bottom

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Bloomberg TV this morning reported statistical analyses showing that the best place to draft, from a value perspective, is the 2nd round.

According to their report, 2 picks in the second round is better than 1 pick in the first round.

Don't forget that BB has a mathematics college background.

In response to bredbruu's comment:

Bb fleeced minny...time to reset 

really nice. Move by bb...now go get a wr...

Depends on who we get. Minn might have fleeced BB. Late 2nd and 3rd. The Pats could be hedging their bets but I always like to take a higher talent them a handful of pebbles and hoping one is a gem

you have been siingin the tune this year that ive played since i joined bdc.

im on the same train

That's the problem right there. Sometimes value isn't enough and talent is needed. You need a healthy balance of both imo and right now the Pats have plenty of value but not enough talent also where are they judging those  2nd round picks? The Pats currenly have 2 late 2nd round picks which decreases the value as the level of talent does shift slighly compared to early 2nd rounders

what he said ....:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

So according to your theory bredbu this was not a good move? I'll take four players in a strong draft then 1 first rounder. Three of the top WR's will be availible even when the Patriots draft at 59. As for DT they addressed that need before the draft when they signed Tommie Kelly. All the Patriots really need is depth and a talented WR. They will get one maybe they get two! BB does like to double dip. If they have a handshake deal with Freeney or Abraham then there is no crying need for another DLineman. They could use an OLB/DE type. Greene,Brown,Moore and KIKO will all be availible in the second round so my guess even without a top half choice in round two they will get two value picks, guys who we all thought had first round grades.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

So according to your theory bredbu this was not a good move? I'll take four players in a strong draft then 1 first rounder. Three of the top WR's will be availible even when the Patriots draft at 59. As for DT they addressed that need before the draft when they signed Tommie Kelly. All the Patriots really need is depth and a talented WR. They will get one maybe they get two! BB does like to double dip. If they have a handshake deal with Freeney or Abraham then there is no crying need for another DLineman. They could use an OLB/DE type. Greene,Brown,Moore and KIKO will all be availible in the second round so my guess even without a top half choice in round two they will get two value picks, guys who we all thought had first round grades.

I agree with this. Especially this year. Some analyst said during the draft last night and we have discussed at length this topic, that this years draft is horizontal. Meaning, no clear cut elite talent guys, but lots of guys grouped together talent wise From the 2nd-3rd round. We now have 4 picks here, plus. 4th and 3, 7th rounders we could use to move around a bit. I could see bb moving up in the second using the 4th or one of his 3rds to grab someone he really Likes. We have the ammo to do it now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Strong draft? THis draft SUCKS. I predicted the Patriots would dump their 1st round draft pick for a few lower ones.........this people being taken in the 1st-2nd round of this year would normally be slotted in the 3rd-5th rounds of a truely DEEP draft class. I'd like to see us at least roll one 2nd round pick this year(preferrably 2)for a 2nd next year, if not both of them. People here who think this is a deep draft class in any form whatsoever needs to get off the NFL.com coolaid bandwagon. If I was the Patriots I wouldn't even waste a 2nd round pick this year..........trade out of the 2nd round for picks for next years class which will be deep and in which we will have holes to fill(WR,CB, O and D line).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think we have to wait and see on the trade right now. Take picks #59 and #90 out of considerations, what we get with the Viks picks determine how the trade was. Say another Matthews slips through our grasp and we get 1-2 solid players but no real game changes then this trade doesn't look nearly as good. Esp for a team that doesn't have a ton of holes but now has a lot of picks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I agree with this. Especially this year. Some analyst said during the draft last night and we have discussed at length this topic, that this years draft is horizontal. Meaning, no clear cut elite talent guys, but lots of guys grouped together talent wise From the 2nd-3rd round. We now have 4 picks here, plus. 4th and 3, 7th rounders we could use to move around a bit. I could see bb moving up in the second using the 4th or one of his 3rds to grab someone he really Likes. We have the ammo to do it now. 

Yeah it's easier to catch fish with bait than without it! I have been saying that on other threads but there are those amongst who think we made a mistake by not selecting a player in the 29 spot. I'm not one of those guys because i learned a long time ago that you can find gems in any round.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think we have to differentiate between adding picks like bb did and the act of picking itself. The many times, including this one, that the pats have traded down for multiple picks, I in most cases like yesterday agree with the strategy. Now, it's up to the pats to pick the right guy. There are good picks in every round...we just have to pick them. Look at years past...Wallace vs price, etc. the pick is there, at that point it comes down to eval and selection. This is typically where I have had issues with the pats...not the act of accumulation of draft picks, but the eval of players and the actual pick itself.....just ask Seattle...Sherman, chancellor,etc...where were those guys had? The pats could have had either of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think we have to wait and see on the trade right now. Take picks #59 and #90 out of considerations, what we get with the Viks picks determine how the trade was. Say another Matthews slips through our grasp and we get 1-2 solid players but no real game changes then this trade doesn't look nearly as good. Esp for a team that doesn't have a ton of holes but now has a lot of picks

I wouldn't exclude any picks...what happens if bb packages a few picks together and trades up? I think we have to consider all picks and the flexibility it gives bb to move around to get his guys. 

I would be using those 7th's and our 4th and possibly a 3rd to move around in round 2. I could see bb making 3 selections in round 2 which again is the sweet spot, and still have a 3rd or 4th rounder and a 7 left. 

my wish is he converts one of those 3's to Mid 2. So we have a 2nd near the top/middle of round 2, and then our other 2's, plus a 3rd and maybe a7th left. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah it's easier to catch fish with bait than without it! I have been saying that on other threads but there are those amongst who think we made a mistake by not selecting a player in the 29 spot. I'm not one of those guys because i learned a long time ago that you can find gems in any round.

you can find gems in any round but that doesn't always mean you'll be the one to find them. It almost becomes more luck at some point then skill (unless a high talent player falls because of red flags, ie Hern, Cannon, Mallett, Dennard). Well have to wait to see who they get with those picks but you get more fish with top end bait then half dead worms from Walmart

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldn't exclude any picks...what happens if bb packages a few picks together and trades up? I think we have to consider all picks and the flexibility it gives bb to move around to get his guys. 

I would be using those 7th's and our 4th and possibly a 3rd to move around in round 2. I could see bb making 3 selections in round 2 which again is the sweet spot, and still have a 3rd or 4th rounder and a 7 left. 

my wish is he converts one of those 3's to Mid 2. So we have a 2nd near the top/middle of round 2, and then our other 2's, plus a 3rd and maybe a7th left. 

If they package them that one thing but then that lessens the value of the original trade if they spend more just to move back up. However, if they use all the picks as is then you can't take our current picks into consideration when determining the value of this trade

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Bloomberg TV this morning reported statistical analyses showing that the best place to draft, from a value perspective, is the 2nd round.

According to their report, 2 picks in the second round is better than 1 pick in the first round.

ok.  I am a fan of statistics/metrics however one wishes to describe the analysis.  I think a "value" argument loses weight in the new CBA, however, with set rookie pay. 

I'll say what I said last night.  Belichick hasn't missed in the first round over the past 5 years.  He has missed in the second and third and so on.  What's the value of a miss?  Sure it is less of a hit because the expectation is lower, but what is that worth? 

The belichick odds tell me he hits in the first round, and its my perspective from the patriots play and this board that they don't need value they need players.  With likely few spots available on the team, more picks simply means more misses. 

just my two cents.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One other thing I didn't think until this morning about this statement. We didn't get 2 2nds from the trade we only got 1. So that statement doesn't hold. You can't add our own 2nd to the value of a traded pick unless that 2nd is traded with it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

1st round –trade for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks

2nd round (from trade) -Margus Hunt, DE, SMU or Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State

2nd round -  Jonathan Hankins, DT, the OSU

3rd Round - (from trade) – Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

3rd Round – Barrett Jones, C/G/T, Alabama
    4th round (from trade )- Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

7th round(from trade) – Joe Kruger, DE Utah

7th round - Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers  or Braden Hansen, G, BYU or Braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round -
    Peter Lalich, QB, California (PA)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

1st round –trade for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks

2nd round (from trade) -Margus Hunt, DE, SMU or Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State

2nd round -  Jonathan Hankins, DT, the OSU

3rd Round - (from trade) – Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

3rd Round – Barrett Jones, C/G/T, Alabama
    4th round (from trade )- Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

7th round(from trade) – Joe Kruger, DE Utah

7th round - Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers  or Braden Hansen, G, BYU or Braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round -
    Peter Lalich, QB, California (PA)

I'd be pretty happy with this draft. Would like a CB sooner. If they go DL in the 2nd maybe take that other 2nd and use it on a CB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

One other thing I didn't think until this morning about this statement. We didn't get 2 2nds from the trade we only got 1. So that statement doesn't hold. You can't add our own 2nd to the value of a traded pick unless that 2nd is traded with it

We added 1 additional pick inn the first 3 rounds...if bb converts one of his 3's to a 2...would you rather have a 1,2,3....or a 2,2,2,3?... I will take the latter especially given where the sweet spot of the draft is...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

All the experts say that this is the deepest draft in years and that there is very little difference after the first 10 picks or so between the rest of the first rounders and 2nd and 3rd rounders and that there are starters to be had all the way into the 4th round.  That said, based on where we were at 29 and the players available at that spot, at that time, I had Ogletree, Hunt and Woods as my top desires for us.  Ogletree would have upgraded two positions as I would have moved Hightower inside and had Ogletree outside with Mayo as Ogletree as a former safety can really cover.  But that idea is now shot. 

Minter or Te'o would certainly upgrade Spikes on passing downs and provide a nice hedge should we loose him after the season to free agency, however, neither will be there at 52.  I don't see any other MLBs that would be 3 down players better than Spikes so we will likely continue to have to use sub packages.

But, we still need to address our biggest need, WR.  Woods and Hunter are my top 2 choices at this point.  I doubt either make it to 52 so perhaps we should package 2 picks and go get one of them.  Or, more likely we will sit tight and wait for an Allen, Williams, Wheaton or Patton. 

I also would very much like to get back up for Margus Hunt.  I don't see him lasting very long today.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We added 1 additional pick inn the first 3 rounds...if bb converts one of his 3's to a 2...would you rather have a 1,2,3....or a 2,2,2,3?... I will take the latter especially given where the sweet spot of the draft is...

how do they convert that 3rd into a 2nd though? A late 3rd and early 4th has just enough value to move up maybe 20-30 picks at most. If you are talking #52, #59, #61 and #90 then I might rather have #29, #59, and #90.

This is what I don't understand is people think the 7ths are great trading chips and we can use a late 3rd and early 4th to get into the mid 2nd? The value just isn't there for other teams. If we want to move back into the 2nd it would take both 3rds and that for a late 2nd. To move up in the 2nd to a top 42 type of pick you are talking a 3rd and the earlier 2nd so when you add that into the equation if they trade #52 and that 3rd they got to get to say #40 would #29 for #40 a 4th and 7th seem like a good deal at that point?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

All the experts say that this is the deepest draft in years and that there is very little difference after the first 10 picks or so between the rest of the first rounders and 2nd and 3rd rounders and that there are starters to be had all the way into the 4th round.  That said, based on where we were at 29 and the players available at that spot, at that time, I had Ogletree, Hunt and Woods as my top desires for us.  Ogletree would have upgraded two positions as I would have moved Hightower inside and had Ogletree outside with Mayo as Ogletree as a former safety can really cover.  But that idea is now shot. 

Minter or Te'o would certainly upgrade Spikes on passing downs and provide a nice hedge should we loose him after the season to free agency, however, neither will be there at 52.  I don't see any other MLBs that would be 3 down players better than Spikes so we will likely continue to have to use sub packages.

But, we still need to address our biggest need, WR.  Woods and Hunter are my top 2 choices at this point.  I doubt either make it to 52 so perhaps we should package 2 picks and go get one of them.  Or, more likely we will sit tight and wait for an Allen, Williams, Wheaton or Patton. 

I also would very much like to get back up for Margus Hunt.  I don't see him lasting very long today.

Kiko Alonso should be hanging around. I think he upgrades spikes on passing downs and I love his motor. 

To get one of the premier wr's left, we will need to trade up. I don't think hunt makes it past sf . I think they see him as the potential Justin smith replacement. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mike Reiss in his latest mock as us taking Wreh-Wilson at 52 and Markus Wheaton at 59.  Both Margus Hunt and Robert Woods were still on his board at 52.  I will throw a beer bottle at my TV if we take another UCONN CB in the 2nd round.  Incidently, Reiss has Woods coming off at 53 to CIN and Hunt at 56 to SEA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Kiko Alonso should be hanging around. I think he upgrades spikes on passing downs and I love his motor. 

To get one of the premier wr's left, we will need to trade up. I don't think hunt makes it past sf . I think they see him as the potential Justin smith replacement. 

My thought was to get a 3 down MLB, not another sub package LB.  I agree on Hunt.  He comes off early today. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

"It's an opportunity to add more players to our team," Caserio said. "We feel pretty good about going into tomorrow. We have four picks and went into the day potentially having only two picks."

As far as what's available on Friday night, Caserio pointed out that players who the Patriots targeted with the 29th pick remain on the board, and didn't rule out the possibility of them trading up."

"If some of those players start to come off then we want to make a move up, we have maybe a little more flexibility to do that," Caserio said. "I think we're open to anything at this point, so we'll have to see how it unfolds once we get started."

Above quote from Caserio.  By "some" I assume he is talking about WR or possibly CB since there is still good depth at both positions.  We need there to be an early run at QB and RB to help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

"It's an opportunity to add more players to our team," Caserio said. "We feel pretty good about going into tomorrow. We have four picks and went into the day potentially having only two picks."

As far as what's available on Friday night, Caserio pointed out that players who the Patriots targeted with the 29th pick remain on the board, and didn't rule out the possibility of them trading up."

"If some of those players start to come off then we want to make a move up, we have maybe a little more flexibility to do that," Caserio said. "I think we're open to anything at this point, so we'll have to see how it unfolds once we get started."

Above quote from Caserio.  By "some" I assume he is talking about WR or possibly CB since there is still good depth at both positions.  We need there to be an early run at QB and RB to help.

These quotes kind of disturb me a little. It shows they have a lack of confidence they can pick a good player from 1 pick instead of 2. Additionally if they feel they have to move up to get a player they want then that trade doesn't look as good depending on how far they have to move back. It's a weird way to do business because the only guarantee is they could of had the player they wanted, instead if that plaer might come off the board they have to pray some team will trade will them. It's a rolling the dice move that sometimes pays off big but sometimes backfires badly. It's a gamble for sure