***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My new top choices in the draft (now remember these are players I think the Pats have a shot at not ranked within position or even position in the draft):

#1 Jonathan Jenkins DT/NT - He's been on my list for a long time and will remain here until he shots up to a top 15 pick. This kid is Wilfork of the college ranks. All he does is cause havok trying to block him and don't even bother trying to run it within arm reach of him. He's got great explosion and very strong at POA. The most amazing thing to me is his on-field speed. On game day I've seen him chase a RB down similar to Wilfork so don't let the 5.5's 40 fool you. This kid has the makings of an all-pro imo

#2 Matt Elam S - This kid is going to be shotting up draft boards very soon and he'd be stupid not to come out this year, after his performance so far. This kid looks like the real deal at FS. He's a heavy hitter that's stout in the running game as well as being able to blitz. The more impressive thing is he looks perfectly naturally dropping back into a deep zone into coverage and does an excellent job reading routes. He's a very Pats type of S, hard hitting, stout against the run, and can cover.

#3 Terrance Williams WR - Everyone thought his stats would be hurt without RGIII but this kid has only gotten better. It would not shock me at all if he ends up in a top 15 discussion or even as the #1 WR off the board. Then again he could also have 3 very talented WR's in front of him and could end up in the back of the 1st. It's tough to pin him to a place in the draft yet. All I know is this kid has great body control, good hands, and isn't afraid to work on any part of the field. He also is good after the catch but knows when to get down. The more impressive thing is his long stride. For a WR his size he's very graceful and can catch CB's flat footed for an easy pitch and catch downfield. The thing about Williams is he demands double coverage because he can work short, intermediate, long, inside the numbers, or outside the numbers. Sounds like a Pats, just get open, type of WR to me

#4 Kwame Geathers DT/NT - if not for being on the same team as Jenkins this kid would be an instant starter. He's want Brace should have been with good explosion (has a blocked kick) and some good power. Though not the penetrating power on Jenkins, Geathers holds the line well against the run. He'd be a solid option in the mid rounds if they don't go DT/NT early

#5 Daniel McCullers DT/NT - you can't teach size and this kid is 6'8" and a legit 360lbs. Imagine having that size in the middle trying to throw the ball. We wouldn't need to worry about covering a large portion of the box just because the QB wouldn't be able to see. The kid is raw but has a ton of potential. He could be a very good project pick if they decide both brace and Pryor have run their course

Sorry MB but had to remove Williams from my list. He's taken some pretty strong steps backwards this year and I'm wondering if his raw ability is starting to hit his ceiling now that he's a main focus on the DL

[/QUOTE]

Daniel McCullers DT/NT is an interesting prospect, not sure which round he will go in though, some sites have him in the 3rd round others have him as the 7th best DT.  his lateral movement worries me though, that is one of the reasons vince is so good is his speed and lateral ability.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

My new top choices in the draft (now remember these are players I think the Pats have a shot at not ranked within position or even position in the draft):

#1 Jonathan Jenkins DT/NT - He's been on my list for a long time and will remain here until he shots up to a top 15 pick. This kid is Wilfork of the college ranks. All he does is cause havok trying to block him and don't even bother trying to run it within arm reach of him. He's got great explosion and very strong at POA. The most amazing thing to me is his on-field speed. On game day I've seen him chase a RB down similar to Wilfork so don't let the 5.5's 40 fool you. This kid has the makings of an all-pro imo

#2 Matt Elam S - This kid is going to be shotting up draft boards very soon and he'd be stupid not to come out this year, after his performance so far. This kid looks like the real deal at FS. He's a heavy hitter that's stout in the running game as well as being able to blitz. The more impressive thing is he looks perfectly naturally dropping back into a deep zone into coverage and does an excellent job reading routes. He's a very Pats type of S, hard hitting, stout against the run, and can cover.

#3 Terrance Williams WR - Everyone thought his stats would be hurt without RGIII but this kid has only gotten better. It would not shock me at all if he ends up in a top 15 discussion or even as the #1 WR off the board. Then again he could also have 3 very talented WR's in front of him and could end up in the back of the 1st. It's tough to pin him to a place in the draft yet. All I know is this kid has great body control, good hands, and isn't afraid to work on any part of the field. He also is good after the catch but knows when to get down. The more impressive thing is his long stride. For a WR his size he's very graceful and can catch CB's flat footed for an easy pitch and catch downfield. The thing about Williams is he demands double coverage because he can work short, intermediate, long, inside the numbers, or outside the numbers. Sounds like a Pats, just get open, type of WR to me

#4 Kwame Geathers DT/NT - if not for being on the same team as Jenkins this kid would be an instant starter. He's want Brace should have been with good explosion (has a blocked kick) and some good power. Though not the penetrating power on Jenkins, Geathers holds the line well against the run. He'd be a solid option in the mid rounds if they don't go DT/NT early

#5 Daniel McCullers DT/NT - you can't teach size and this kid is 6'8" and a legit 360lbs. Imagine having that size in the middle trying to throw the ball. We wouldn't need to worry about covering a large portion of the box just because the QB wouldn't be able to see. The kid is raw but has a ton of potential. He could be a very good project pick if they decide both brace and Pryor have run their course

Sorry MB but had to remove Williams from my list. He's taken some pretty strong steps backwards this year and I'm wondering if his raw ability is starting to hit his ceiling now that he's a main focus on the DL

[/QUOTE]

I love Elam, even went so far to say that I'd take him over Reid a week or two ago.  He doesn't have the height/size of Reid or even his movement ability, but I think he's a better S right now and a better, more secure tackler.  He'd prob already be in the Rd 1 discussion if he was taller, IMO... def see a riser there as well. 

I liken him to Chung in regards to size/physicality, but think he's a much better cover guy... he also reminds me of Rodney in the sense that he hits everything and is a pure energy player out there on the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys, as much as I like some of this years de prospects, I think ourguys of the future at de is already on the roster...jake bequette. Let's not forget, this kid was highly productive in the sec, and also at he combine scored second in agiLity drills for all DL, second only to Bruce Irvin who is 30pounds lighter. Bequette I think will develop into a nice bookend to jones ...I am not sure why he isn't seeing more playing time, but maybe that changes next year if he can surpass nInk.

He has the physical attributes of a solid 4-3 de...6'5", 270lbs...almost identical to jones, and I like his length for this position over nink assuming he can develop . Some compared him to Jared Allen  coming out...thoughts on this kid as our future at de opposite jones?

[/QUOTE]

Certainly in the discussion, though I think performance to date is more telling than combine measurables.  I liked the kid a lot coming out last year and have hopes for him down the road... though URFA Justin Francis seems to be getting first crack at the rotation these days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys, as much as I like some of this years de prospects, I think ourguys of the future at de is already on the roster...jake bequette. Let's not forget, this kid was highly productive in the sec, and also at he combine scored second in agiLity drills for all DL, second only to Bruce Irvin who is 30pounds lighter. Bequette I think will develop into a nice bookend to jones ...I am not sure why he isn't seeing more playing time, but maybe that changes next year if he can surpass nInk.

He has the physical attributes of a solid 4-3 de...6'5", 270lbs...almost identical to jones, and I like his length for this position over nink assuming he can develop . Some compared him to Jared Allen  coming out...thoughts on this kid as our future at de opposite jones?

[/QUOTE]

I love bequettes intelligence but i am concerned with his practice perfomance being that francis is getting the backup snaps behind jones and nink.  Hopefully he will pick up his game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm going to have to agree with MB and Nate. Bequette had high hopes coming out of college and still could develop but having a UDFA getting the majority of the backup reps right now is not a good sign for Bequette

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey man, doing good, pumped about the Pats and Celts chances this year.

So Jason McCourty is out of the picture huh, thats too bad, woulda been fun to have the brothers in the secondary and Devin at FS.

I don't really think we have the pass-rush opposite Jones either, but Nink is projected to have 8 sacks AND 8 FF to go with 50 or so tackles, clutch play guy as well. I'd much rather have Love forced into a backup role than Nink right now, especially with VW being 31 or so and a guy I'd like to see getting more rest.

How about we replace Chung with Byrd and Vollmer with Jake Long (Solder moves to RT) in free agency? That would make me pretty happy.

[/QUOTE]

I would let Vollmer and chung walk resign welker brace, fletcher, and endelman, and sign King Dunlap OT Philly, Jabari greer CB New orleans, and Aaron Curry OLB oakland. 

we would use mccourty as a safety

then draft:

2013 NFL draft

1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama or Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
    2nd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (2-3 round)
    3rd Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal
    4th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU (6-7) or Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

That would give us a stud Guard to replace Waters (Hansen), a stud center to take connollys place and allow him to be in the rotation at guard (Jones) being that mankins is having health issues or a DT who could spell vince, a mammoth freak of nature 6'8" DE to play opposite of jones (Hunt)  and a troubled but potentially great DB in the honey badger. 

then sign the titans DB coach brett maxie to coach our secondary (assistant D coord. in title)I think this would go a long way to fixing our defense.

[/QUOTE]

wow nate you are all in and have it all worked out. i love love lvoe this kind of thnking (did a couple versions of these last year) did i miss something? who you have replacing vollmer? especaill happy to hear teh fa and db coach moves.

now if bb were not as stubborn as a brick wall :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

So Jason McCourty is out of the picture huh, thats too bad, woulda been fun to have the brothers in the secondary and Devin at FS.

I don't really think we have the pass-rush opposite Jones either, but Nink is projected to have 8 sacks AND 8 FF to go with 50 or so tackles, clutch play guy as well. I'd much rather have Love forced into a backup role than Nink right now, especially with VW being 31 or so and a guy I'd like to see getting more rest.

How about we replace Chung with Byrd and Vollmer with Jake Long (Solder moves to RT) in free agency? That would make me pretty happy.

[/QUOTE]

I would let Vollmer and chung walk resign welker brace, fletcher, and endelman, and sign King Dunlap OT Philly, Jabari greer CB New orleans, and Aaron Curry OLB oakland. 

then draft:

2013 NFL draft

3rd Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal

That would give us a stud Guard to replace Waters (Hansen), a stud center to take connollys place and allow him to be in the rotation at guard (Jones) being that mankins is having health issues or a DT who could spell vince, a mammoth freak of nature 6'8" DE to play opposite of jones (Hunt)  and a troubled but potentially great DB in the honey badger. 

then sign the titans DB coach brett maxie to coach our secondary (assistant D coord. in title)I think this would go a long way to fixing our defense.

[/QUOTE]

ioh yeah forgot to say mathieu got busted againi i read. however you nver know if a team will give a guy as talented as that a shot even 2nd rd. 

hes not a kncklehead like pacman.

but it seems pretty clear he cant shake the stuff. lsu reported that they gave hm numerous chances to do so. now hes busted again.

with the likes of what we have had for years, id havce to be on board taking a shot if he dropped.

dudes nto a criminal and doubt he woudl get into any trouble at all aside from his habit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Hernandez seemed to have less issues than the honey badger when it comes to pot, he was never kicked off the team or arrested as far as I know, and he lasted until rd 4. But, Correct me if I'm wrong his original projection was mid-2nd to early 3rd while Mathieu could've been mid-1st to early 2nd?

Either way, a special teams dynamo who plays CB like Cortland Finnegan at 5'10" with attitude, no fear and an uncanny knack for takeaways.... he could be a steal with one of the last picks in rd 2... then again Jenoris Jenkins didn't last past like 40-45 so somebody could scoop him up long before that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hernandez seemed to have less issues than the honey badger when it comes to pot, he was never kicked off the team or arrested as far as I know, and he lasted until rd 4. But, Correct me if I'm wrong his original projection was mid-2nd to early 3rd while Mathieu could've been mid-1st to early 2nd?

Either way, a special teams dynamo who plays CB like Cortland Finnegan at 5'10" with attitude, no fear and an uncanny knack for takeaways.... he could be a steal with one of the last picks in rd 2... then again Jenoris Jenkins didn't last past like 40-45 so somebody could scoop him up long before that.

[/QUOTE]

yeah iut coudl go anyway. guy is a smaller version of a ptarick peterson (not that we need him to return kicks wiht demps) cove guy, uncanny knack for the int, football fast as all get out.

to me be a bit risky in rd 2 given hes seems to have never really stopped (or be able to) with the sticky. even after being kikced off team. preparing to come back next year. now being busted again. sounds like an epic weed issue. not that i think weed is immoral. but the league dont like it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

The Honey Badger takes what he wants. Haha

One thing I noticed is the badger is at his best covering the slot. He is so quick and he hides a blitz better than any corner I've ever seen in college. He is much more camparable to Woodson because he is much more of a gambler. He will give up yards but he dares QB's to throw his way because he has that ability to turn it into 6 the other way. 

Remember he was also the best punt returner in the country as well. I really wanted Jenoris Jenkins last year, but the Badger even carries bigger baggage. My theory is that you can teach a player all the things he needs to no to be successful but you cant teach talent or play makers. He measures off the chart in both of these.

MB could you imagine the swagger our DB's would gain if we got Elam in the first and Mathieu in the 3rd along with Dennard out there. McCourty would look like the Pope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

then draft:

2013 NFL draft

[/QUOTE]

wow nate you are all in and have it all worked out. i love love lvoe this kind of thnking (did a couple versions of these last year) did i miss something? who you have replacing vollmer? especaill happy to hear teh fa and db coach moves.

[/QUOTE]

King Dunlap is the guy i have replacing vollmer, he a mammoth OT from philly who doesn't have the back problems vollmer does.  I love vollmer but he is injured too often, even though he is great when healthy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hernandez was more of a top 50 kid with Rd 1 upside before he dropped. 

I like Mathieu's take away and return ability, I'm just not sure he was a Rd 1 CB at 5-9 172 as he's prob relegated to slot duties only.  I compare him more to a Jayron Hosley type, smaller, with very good ball skills and the ability to close who will also give you some return ability.

Some team will prob snag Mathieu on day 2, but I could see him lasting to Day 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

@ maine 12,

Love the thought of scoring Elam on Day 1 or 2 and also am intrigued by what Dennard has shown so far and look forward to watching him progress.

Mathieu is an intriguing cat and could present some value, and BB has shown a willingness to take a kid thats dropped for character concerns (Hernandez/Dennard), but the CB that would interest me the most on Day 2 at this point is Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer (5-11 192).  This kid reminds me quite a bit of DMC; similar size, smart/well spoken kid, 4 down player with some return ability, physical and tackles well (something BB values quite a bit).  I also like his ball skills and ability to diagnose and close quickly and you dont see receivers gaining much separation from him.  He's a versatile kid that has a lot of experience both outside and in the slot and also plays within multiple coverage concepts (man, press, press bail & zone, etc.).

Given the choice between the two, Id take Poyer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like Mathieu's take away and return ability, I'm just not sure he was a Rd 1 CB at 5-9 172 as he's prob relegated to slot duties only.  I compare him more to a Jayron Hosley type, smaller, with very good ball skills and the ability to close who will also give you some return ability.

Some team will prob snag Mathieu on day 2, but I could see him lasting to Day 3.

[/QUOTE]

If he has more issues before the draft I could see him taking a Dennard dive and falling to day 3. For me that makes him worth taking a risk in the back of round 4 or round 5

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he has more issues before the draft I could see him taking a Dennard dive and falling to day 3. For me that makes him worth taking a risk in the back of round 4 or round 5

[/QUOTE]

I think Day 3 is where BB/NC would start to consider him, based purely on value, yeah.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to maine12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Honey Badger takes what he wants. Haha

One thing I noticed is the badger is at his best covering the slot. He is so quick and he hides a blitz better than any corner I've ever seen in college. He is much more camparable to Woodson because he is much more of a gambler. He will give up yards but he dares QB's to throw his way because he has that ability to turn it into 6 the other way. 

Remember he was also the best punt returner in the country as well. I really wanted Jenoris Jenkins last year, but the Badger even carries bigger baggage. My theory is that you can teach a player all the things he needs to no to be successful but you cant teach talent or play makers. He measures off the chart in both of these.

MB could you imagine the swagger our DB's would gain if we got Elam in the first and Mathieu in the 3rd along with Dennard out there. McCourty would look like the Pope.

[/QUOTE]

mcc woudl still ge beat never because he canrt see teh ball adn cant jam at the line still.

yes all over jenkins last year and yes on everythign you see in mathieu if he doesnt get 3 strikes form the nfl before the end of year 2.

if only we only had those needs your draft would be nice. but we dont. and we dont have 2 picks in every round this year.

and if we pick a db, odds are they will suck.

so for all of these reasons f..a dbs make a lot more sense

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

then draft:

2013 NFL draft

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

King Dunlap is the guy i have replacing vollmer, he a mammoth OT from philly who doesn't have the back problems vollmer does.  I love vollmer but he is injured too often, even though he is great when healthy.

[/QUOTE]

i agree with you on teh vollmer back issue that likely will be with him thoughout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

who the rest of you got for our first rd pick?

by the way nate, walter football has him (barrett) gone at 27 (to the pack)

b. how easy would it be to pass on terrence williams (that walter has us taking). we have not had an outside wr who could get seperation. we have higher needs of course. but it woudl open up what is avail on offense greatly even agsint the sf's, houton's, etc and help brady in his late years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

b. how easy would it be to pass on terrence williams (that walter has us taking). we have not had an outside wr who could get seperation. we have higher needs of course. but it woudl open up what is avail on offense greatly even agsint the sf's, houton's, etc and help brady in his late years.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still on Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan at the back end of Rd 1... the Bama kids are also high on my Rd 1 watchlist as are potential late risers (curent Day 2 kids) like Gator S Matt Elam, Stanford OLB/DE Chase Thomas and maybe Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still on Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan at the back end of Rd 1.  The Bama kids are also high on my Rd 1 watchlist as is Gator S Matt Elam who cold make a late push.

[/QUOTE]

havetn focused on watchiing him, but you interested in a 240lb de/olb for the pats?

no concern about the weight?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still on Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan at the back end of Rd 1.  The Bama kids are also high on my Rd 1 watchlist as is Gator S Matt Elam who cold make a late push.

[/QUOTE]

havetn focused on watchiing him, but you interested in a 240lb de/olb for the pats?

[/QUOTE]

Look forward to see his actual weight at the SB/Combine (Crable had similar listed weights, but didn't have Jordan's upsid), other than that, kid has elite upside as an edge player... heck the kid is so athletic, that he's had some CB assignments... and he's 6-6.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look forward to see his actual weight at the SB/Combine (Crable had similar listed weights, but didn't have Jordan's upsid), other than that, kid has elite upside as an edge player... heck the kid is so athletic, that he's had some CB assignments... and he's 6-6.

[/QUOTE]

yes unbelieveably so.

i see him listed several places at 6 7"

i too arrived at bookend de/olb as our top need when i got to your thread.

cb is high but as i said last year, not in draft.

so given all the players available you mention above, you take jordan.

hard to belive you would consider a safety over bookend for jones in rd1.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

im seeing him up to 243 now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

im seeing him up to 243 now.

[/QUOTE]

Here's some of his 2012 tape, there's more out there.

His athleticism, versatility and motor really stand out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JATMzVLBA0

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Does anyone think Barrett Jones would be anywhere even close when the Patriots pick? I see him as a top 5 pick.