***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to IndyTony's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to IndyTony's comment:

Has anyone mentioned Charles Johnson 6'2" WR with 4.38 40 time from Grand Valley State as a possible 7th rounder? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnnqcgkCfc

yeah. He looked liked a good prospect to me . According to Gil Brandt he has excellent hands. Could be a find.

Welcome to the thread IT... believe you're the first to mention him.

Very good combo of size/speed/COD and what really pops on that short highlight to me is his ability to pluck the ball with his hands, he gets up the field in a hurry with pretty good YAC, good coordination and has little waisted motion in his route progression. 

Good Day 3 find.

get himrd 4 and make it happen.no risks get the player you want.

"than 8% of wide receivers eclipse the 170” figure and even fewer do it at 6’2’’ and in the 215-225lb range"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I've been looking at the roster as it stands today with a mind of identifying which current players could be upgraded in the draft.  I tried to rank the players although I didn't put a lot of thought into it.  In the process it became clear how much we lack star power on defense compared to offense, but I digress.  I listed the top 53 (IMO) players.  I did not include Ebert as he can go on the practice squad.  I did not count Demps as it appears he wants to focus on track and we signed Washington.  Mike Rivera just missed my list. 

In looking at the below, we are clearly over budget at TE.  We should normally carry 3 but given the importance in our offense, I think we will carry 4 meaning Daniel Fells is likely out.  We would normally carry 4-5 RBs but unless there are big plans for incorporating FB into our O, Tony Fiammetta is likely gone.  Hooman can cover this duty in short yardage situations.  We appear pretty set on the OL but I think Svitek could be upgraded but would not spend a top pick doing it. 

So on offense we really need 2 WRs above anything.  We appear pretty set at slot with Amendola, Edelman and Ebert (PS), but Donald Jones and Michael Jenkins just don't cut it for me.  But I suspect BB will add just one WR and hope the other guys can perform.

I actually think we are pretty set on the DL with 5 DTs and 5 DEs.  Sure, we could draft a better player than we have upgrading a Bequette/Francis or a Deaderick/Armstead but I don't have any DL in my bottom 4 in terms of talent.  The lowest DT I have is Armstead at 7th from the bottom but the Pats are reportedly high on him so he will be given a chance.  Therefore I don't think the Pats will go DT but if they do, it will be for the future and won't likely give us much of a boost this year.  However, I do have Bequette/Francis in the bottom 5 and 6 so DE is a possibility.  Although I do think Bequette deserves a chance as I think he is as good as some of these guys we've been talking about in the draft.

Three of my bottom 4 are DBs.  Dowling has better talent but what good is it if he can't get on the field?  With Dowling and Cole at or near the bottom and Talib being on a one year deal, and Adrian Wilson who has clearly slowed, a DB is still needed.  I totally think we will take a DB in the first three rounds.

Lastly a speedy coverage LB is needed.  We could stay with the situational guy but for me, if an Ogletree is there I would highly consider him as I think Hightower belongs inside.  He played mostly inside at Bama and he's much faster than Spikes who is only a two down player.  So, I think Ogletree upgrades two positions.  So if we went Ogletree, I'd go WR and DB with our next two picks.  Any 7 rounder will end up on the PS.

Offense 1.   Tom Brady 2.   Rob Gronkowski 3.   Logan Mankins 4.   Nate Solder 5.   Aaron Hernandez 6.   Sebastian Vollmer 7.   Danny Amendola 8.   Stevan Ridley 9.   Dan Connolly 10. Ryan Wendell 11. Julian Edelman 12. Marcus Cannon 13. Shane Vereen 14. Ryan Mallett 15. Nick McDonald 16. Leon Washington 17. Jake Ballard 18. Donald Jones 19. Michael Hoomanawanui 20. Brandon Bolden 21. Will Svitek 22. Michael Jenkins 23. Daniel Fells 24. Tony Fiammetta       Defense 1.   Vince Wilfork 2.   Jarod Mayo 3.   Aqib Talib 4.   Chandler Jones 5.   Dont'a Hightower 6.   Brandon Spikes 7.   Devin McCourty 8.   Kyle Love 9.   Alfonzo Dennard 10. Rob Ninkovich 11. Kyle Arrington 12. Steve Gregory 13. Adrian Wilson 14. Brandon Deaderick 15. Tommy Kelly 16. Jermaine Cunningham 17. Dane Fletcher 18. Tavon Wilson 19. Armond Armstead 20. Justin Francis 21. Jake Bequette 22. Jeff Tarpinian 23. Ras-I Dowling 24. Nate Ebner 25. Marquice Cole       Special Teams 1.   Stephen Gostkowski 2.   Zoltan Mesko 3.   Matthew Slater

4.  Danny Aiken

good analysis the need is there, but we need a guaranteed pass rush (2nd wr iron tonys guy above?)

i came ot same conslusions but valeud pass rushing de above cover lb in draft

Just watched PTTD from yesterday and Daniel Jeremiah had the Pats taking Jamar Taylor while Baldy had the Eagles trading up to 29 to take Geno with us getting #35 and their 4th rounder.  They then had Eifert going to Atlanta at 30.  I don't know if I can agree with a CB in the first when he may not start. 

Yeah pass rusher would be better and I love Hunt but he is going to be raw and not likely to make a big impact for a couple years.  We really need to play for one more ring.  There has been a run on WR in the PTTD mock so none there at 29 that I like but if we ended up at 35, I would like Woods there.  Then perhaps take the DB at 59.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Probably been talked about before, but has anyone noticed how far Werner has dropped in some of these mock drafts? I can't see him making it out of the top 15. 

Yes, but mixed.  I have seen him in some in top 15 and others around NEs pick.  Moore is the other guy that is similar dropping.  I think Werner has less upside, he will not be better than C Jones.  I think T carradine will be a better pick a DE, but he will be gone before 29.  I look at NE addressing WR and middle of the defense, with LB and CB.  After Kelly was signed I do no think they go DT, however if someone drops they could go that route.

In the end, if you can cover better an disrupt offenses, you will allow more time for the pass rush.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I was surprised to see that Mayock has Jesse Williams rated as his 97th overall prospect.  I've read quite a few negative scouting reports on him lately. Makes me wonder what I've been missing...I'd still love to see him sitting there at 59.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I've been looking at the roster as it stands today with a mind of identifying which current players could be upgraded in the draft.  I tried to rank the players although I didn't put a lot of thought into it.  In the process it became clear how much we lack star power on defense compared to offense, but I digress.  I listed the top 53 (IMO) players.  I did not include Ebert as he can go on the practice squad.  I did not count Demps as it appears he wants to focus on track and we signed Washington.  Mike Rivera just missed my list. 

In looking at the below, we are clearly over budget at TE.  We should normally carry 3 but given the importance in our offense, I think we will carry 4 meaning Daniel Fells is likely out.  We would normally carry 4-5 RBs but unless there are big plans for incorporating FB into our O, Tony Fiammetta is likely gone.  Hooman can cover this duty in short yardage situations.  We appear pretty set on the OL but I think Svitek could be upgraded but would not spend a top pick doing it. 

So on offense we really need 2 WRs above anything.  We appear pretty set at slot with Amendola, Edelman and Ebert (PS), but Donald Jones and Michael Jenkins just don't cut it for me.  But I suspect BB will add just one WR and hope the other guys can perform.

I actually think we are pretty set on the DL with 5 DTs and 5 DEs.  Sure, we could draft a better player than we have upgrading a Bequette/Francis or a Deaderick/Armstead but I don't have any DL in my bottom 4 in terms of talent.  The lowest DT I have is Armstead at 7th from the bottom but the Pats are reportedly high on him so he will be given a chance.  Therefore I don't think the Pats will go DT but if they do, it will be for the future and won't likely give us much of a boost this year.  However, I do have Bequette/Francis in the bottom 5 and 6 so DE is a possibility.  Although I do think Bequette deserves a chance as I think he is as good as some of these guys we've been talking about in the draft.

Three of my bottom 4 are DBs.  Dowling has better talent but what good is it if he can't get on the field?  With Dowling and Cole at or near the bottom and Talib being on a one year deal, and Adrian Wilson who has clearly slowed, a DB is still needed.  I totally think we will take a DB in the first three rounds.

Lastly a speedy coverage LB is needed.  We could stay with the situational guy but for me, if an Ogletree is there I would highly consider him as I think Hightower belongs inside.  He played mostly inside at Bama and he's much faster than Spikes who is only a two down player.  So, I think Ogletree upgrades two positions.  So if we went Ogletree, I'd go WR and DB with our next two picks.  Any 7 rounder will end up on the PS.

Offense 1.   Tom Brady 2.   Rob Gronkowski 3.   Logan Mankins 4.   Nate Solder 5.   Aaron Hernandez 6.   Sebastian Vollmer 7.   Danny Amendola 8.   Stevan Ridley 9.   Dan Connolly 10. Ryan Wendell 11. Julian Edelman 12. Marcus Cannon 13. Shane Vereen 14. Ryan Mallett 15. Nick McDonald 16. Leon Washington 17. Jake Ballard 18. Donald Jones 19. Michael Hoomanawanui 20. Brandon Bolden 21. Will Svitek 22. Michael Jenkins 23. Daniel Fells 24. Tony Fiammetta       Defense 1.   Vince Wilfork 2.   Jarod Mayo 3.   Aqib Talib 4.   Chandler Jones 5.   Dont'a Hightower 6.   Brandon Spikes 7.   Devin McCourty 8.   Kyle Love 9.   Alfonzo Dennard 10. Rob Ninkovich 11. Kyle Arrington 12. Steve Gregory 13. Adrian Wilson 14. Brandon Deaderick 15. Tommy Kelly 16. Jermaine Cunningham 17. Dane Fletcher 18. Tavon Wilson 19. Armond Armstead 20. Justin Francis 21. Jake Bequette 22. Jeff Tarpinian 23. Ras-I Dowling 24. Nate Ebner 25. Marquice Cole       Special Teams 1.   Stephen Gostkowski 2.   Zoltan Mesko 3.   Matthew Slater

4.  Danny Aiken

good analysis the need is there, but we need a guaranteed pass rush (2nd wr iron tonys guy above?)

i came ot same conslusions but valeud pass rushing de above cover lb in draft

Just watched PTTD from yesterday and Daniel Jeremiah had the Pats taking Jamar Taylor while Baldy had the Eagles trading up to 29 to take Geno with us getting #35 and their 4th rounder.  They then had Eifert going to Atlanta at 30.  I don't know if I can agree with a CB in the first when he may not start. 

Yeah pass rusher would be better and I love Hunt but he is going to be raw and not likely to make a big impact for a couple years.  We really need to play for one more ring.  There has been a run on WR in the PTTD mock so none there at 29 that I like but if we ended up at 35, I would like Woods there.  Then perhaps take the DB at 59.

i hear ya. i thinking ring too. think top de, wr and cb could do it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Probably been talked about before, but has anyone noticed how far Werner has dropped in some of these mock drafts? I can't see him making it out of the top 15. 

for a couple weeks yes. i have asked if he and carradien there at 29 what do you do? no opinions registered yet

pass

here was my original question.(you are passign on 2 players whove been mocked 5-15 if they make it to 29?

CBS New 4 Staff Mock: at 29 is(carradine, hunt, WERNER, short, datone jones) who you got?

if it plays out like they seem to have it 

at 29, you can have carradine, hunt, WERNER, short, and some have datone jones avail.

who you got?

id def take werner or carradine.

carradine has the highest upside a top 10 pick without the knee injury. it will take a year for him to be 100%

werner is a healthy pass rusher de now in a 4-3.

carradine can also drop back in space.

i def woudl take one of them (and then go wr)

i dont know if bb wants werener with more production for more years, better first step and ready now vs carradine who also can drop into space but will not be 100% for a while.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

Bredbru

Re Markus Wheaton

" No separation and gets easily redirected."

Matt  Waldman has an extensive in depth article and pictures on Wheaton where he quotes

" his speed is good enough to gain separation even while engaged in contact and unable to pump both arms or drive down field with his shoulders over his knees."

Source: mattwaldmanrsp.com. 'The Rookie Scouting Portfolio." The Boiler Room: Markus Wheaton.

The article is extremely well written and I would advise all Pats followers to have a look. Make your own conclusions.

If Wheaton falls to the third ......he could be a steal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:

Bredbru

Re Markus Wheaton

" No separation and gets easily redirected."

Matt  Waldman has an extensive in depth article and pictures on Wheaton where he quotes

" his speed is good enough to gain separation even while engaged in contact and unable to pump both arms or drive down field with his shoulders over his knees."

Source: mattwaldmanrsp.com. 'The Rookie Scouting Portfolio." The Boiler Room: Markus Wheaton.

The article is extremely well written and I would advise all Pats followers to have a look. Make your own conclusions.

If Wheaton falls to the third ......he could be a steal.

the

"" No separation and gets easily redirected," i got from Matt  Waldman's article. thanks for the thougths.

thats prob where bb wants him. id take others  like rogers, dobson principally, williams, etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Would anyone be disappointed if the Pats took Cyprien at 29 and made S a strength?

At the end of the day, I want them to draft the best possible players and if they think Cyprien is that kid, then I'm all for it... he (along with a handful of other physical safeties) have remained on my board, even with the addition of Adrian.

We know what type of impact a dynamic, physical safety can have on a defense and out outside of Wilson, who's on the downside of his career, they don't have this type of presence on the roster.

MB, thanks for the feedback. I agree, the D plays a lot better with a physical presence back there and hasn't had that since Rodney. I love the Wilson signing and would love a kid who has the same playing style here to learn from him.

With limited picks and a couple holes to fill it might be tough to do. However I've noticed Elam has dropped in some mocks, I'd be happy with either him or Cyprien especially if one were to drop into the 2nd and we could get an additional 2nd (Mallett trade perhaps). I know you've been high on both for awhile, who do you like more between the two?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Would anyone be disappointed if the Pats took Cyprien at 29 and made S a strength?

too many needs. in an ideal world with a pcik in every round... a round 3 safety yeah

Hey Bred, thanks for the reply. Who do you like as a rd 3 safety if they were to draft one there? I remember you were high on Rambo? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

for a couple weeks yes. i have asked if he and carradien there at 29 what do you do? no opinions registered yet

Sorry, didn't see that. I'd take Werner without a second thought. I still rank him just after Ziggy and Jordan. I think he'd be a perfect bookend to C.Jones at LDE. I don't see any weakness and I like his upside. Ziggy and Jordan are freaks but I think Werner plays the run better and just needs to add more moves to his pass rush

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I was surprised to see that Mayock has Jesse Williams rated as his 97th overall prospect.  I've read quite a few negative scouting reports on him lately. Makes me wonder what I've been missing...I'd still love to see him sitting there at 59.

I'd be shocked to see him drop that far. With some teams switching to 3-4. He can play in either front. I like Jenkins a little more but would love either of them in Foxborough

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

At the end of the day, I want them to draft the best possible players and if they think Cyprien is that kid, then I'm all for it... he (along with a handful of other physical safeties) have remained on my board, even with the addition of Adrian.

We know what type of impact a dynamic, physical safety can have on a defense and out outside of Wilson, who's on the downside of his career, they don't have this type of presence on the roster.

MB, thanks for the feedback. I agree, the D plays a lot better with a physical presence back there and hasn't had that since Rodney. I love the Wilson signing and would love a kid who has the same playing style here to learn from him.

With limited picks and a couple holes to fill it might be tough to do. However I've noticed Elam has dropped in some mocks, I'd be happy with either him or Cyprien especially if one were to drop into the 2nd and we could get an additional 2nd (Mallett trade perhaps). I know you've been high on both for awhile, who do you like more between the two?

I'm hearing Eric Reid is moving up boards and could be the second safety taken.  Adrian Wilson could be just a one year situational player for us.  Would BB consider Reid if he makes it to 29?  He has good size and a lot of Rodney's attributes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm hearing Eric Reid is moving up boards and could be the second safety taken.  Adrian Wilson could be just a one year situational player for us.  Would BB consider Reid if he makes it to 29?  He has good size and a lot of Rodney's attributes.

I would definitally consider Reid.  I think he's a solid 1st round talent and that he has been way underrated for most of the draft process.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hey Faucet, I'm actually not as high on Reid. He has the size and can deliver a nice hit for sure. From what I've seen of him though he seems to play a little sloppy at times. He looks good against the run but his pass-coverage worries me and I wonder how much he benefited from playing with good CB's. Every so often I'd see a little bit of Meriweather in him. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll still be a decent player in the league. I've seen him in different mocks going in the 15-25 range

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

pass

here was my original question.(you are passign on 2 players whove been mocked 5-15 if they make it to 29?

CBS New 4 Staff Mock: at 29 is(carradine, hunt, WERNER, short, datone jones) who you got?

at 29, you can have carradine, hunt, WERNER, short, and some have datone jones avail.

who you got?

carradine has the highest upside a top 10 pick without the knee injury. it will take a year for him to be 100%

i dont know if bb wants werener with more production for more years, better first step and ready now vs carradine who also can drop into space but will not be 100% for a while.

Tough question about who to select (Werner or Carradine)...truthfully they both might be gone when we select, so we won't have to worry about it. I like them both - I'm always trying to watch stuff on Carradine, but when I do I can't help but notice how well Werner plays. He's got a nice little burst, some bend, very active and doesn't seem to stop coming with that balance and nice blend of speed. Then I watch Carradine and he looks like he was made to pass rush, with these long arms and this nice wide frame, but Werner is getting there quicker in my opinion...even though he shouldn't.

In the end I'd probably take Carradine with the hopes he could be special and I'd do that only with the thought that although Werner looks solid, you know he probably won't be special.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

too many needs. in an ideal world with a pcik in every round... a round 3 safety yeah

Hey Bred, thanks for the reply. Who do you like as a rd 3 safety if they were to draft one there? I remember you were high on Rambo? 

yeah rambo because i think hes a good player and dropped beacuse off the field issues (not that hes the best)

after him you have cummings, duke williams, shawn williams, tony  jefferson,  tj mcdonald

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

pass

who you got?

Tough question about who to select (Werner or Carradine)...truthfully they both might be gone when we select, so we won't have to worry about it. I like them both - I'm always trying to watch stuff on Carradine, but when I do I can't help but notice how well Werner plays. He's got a nice little burst, some bend, very active and doesn't seem to stop coming with that balance and nice blend of speed. Then I watch Carradine and he looks like he was made to pass rush, with these long arms and this nice wide frame, but Werner is getting there quicker in my opinion...even though he shouldn't.

In the end I'd probably take Carradine with the hopes he could be special and I'd do that only with the thought that although Werner looks solid, you know he probably won't be special.

thanks mthurl for this logiical analysis and conclusion. very unusually well developed thoughts for bdc about good vs potentially special. agreed with analysisif not fully decided on choice.

re availablitilty at 29, many top mocks have werner dropping, soome to 30 even.

unfortunately carradine is starting to rsie. i was hoping he was not ready for his pro day or that he didnt do well. sucks!

anyway, if a few qbs go, which i still think can happen (if smith goes before 8, i think theres a good possibility buffalo goes qb at 8. (of course i wanty to see 4 qbs go). which will help i think that 1 of datone jones, carradine or werner make it to us (even possible without this). 

and regardless i think we can choose one of those three okafro and hunt (hunt being the most risky with the lowest floor)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

ive seen him rated a lot in 2nd and 3rd. i hope hes taken before 29, pushing des down to us.

I'd be shocked to see him drop that far. With some teams switching to 3-4. He can play in either front. I like Jenkins a little more but would love either of them in Foxborough

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Sorry, didn't see that. I'd take Werner without a second thought. I still rank him just after Ziggy and Jordan. I think he'd be a perfect bookend to C.Jones at LDE. I don't see any weakness and I like his upside. Ziggy and Jordan are freaks but I think Werner plays the run better and just needs to add more moves to his pass rush

thanks for weighing in home. i dont know if the mockers have the pulse, but i see more and more moving werner down to 28-30ish (our range). seems to be related to his speed .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So I'm looking to finalize my Top 3 options by draft day, though I expect it to be some combo of DJ Hayden, Jesse Williams & Sylvester Williams... Tank Carradine and Datone Jones would round out my Top 5.

Who are the Top 5 players on your board?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

So I'm looking to finalize my Top 3 options by draft day, though I expect it to be some combo of DJ Hayden, Jesse Williams & Sylvester Williams... Tank Carradine and Datone Jones would round out my Top 5.

werner carradine jones okafor hunt.

you see what i did there...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't expect Werner to be there, regardless of what mocks say, but if he's there, he'd certainly be right up there for me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I don't expect Werner to be there, regardless of what mocks say, but if he's there, he'd certainly be right up there for me.

i dont know what theyre smoking, but its not just one and its reputable mockers. so who knows.