[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i really like this years WR class. i'm hoping for one of:

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

[/QUOTE]

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

[/QUOTE]

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

[/QUOTE]

Problem is, a kid that can't run routes will never sniff the field in this offense.

[/QUOTE]

victor cruz was this player out of college

and wallace as well.

i disagree. if slater had great hands and caught anything within 15  yards, i think theyd send him down the field (and slanting across) more often.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

let me know what you guys think about my mock. I think it gives us a great combo of D line help, O-line, and DB. plus BB gets the FB he has been looking for who also plays ILB

[/QUOTE]

i like it cept for what i mentioned (wr)

do think it's very optimistic, but likable (with the addittion of a wr).

[/QUOTE]

i think BB is starting to move away from the high priced WR position, TE's are more athletic, and harder to defend.  plus if he resigns welker, endelman, we get demps/stallworth back from IR and we still have lloyd/branch/slater that makes a pretty complimentary set to go with the TE's we have in Ballard, gronk, fells, hernandez, hawamamaui?  if welker walks yes i believe we would need one.  being that we are 35 million under the cap and next season i believe we are required to spend 98% of the cap i could easily see us tag welker.  Hopefully we can bring in Byrd at Safety, let chung and vollmer walk and sign king dunlap RT eagles and Danny Amendola WR rams

[/QUOTE] I don't see Stallworth back next year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

terrance williams, tavon austin, robert woods, justin hunter, da'rick rodgers, stedman bailey 

[/QUOTE]

Austin and Woods prob profile the best for what BB/McD like to do on offense, attack teams in the short to intermediate areas while picking up additional yardage due to RAC ability.  My wish list at WR in this class on Day 1/2 would prob be:

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

[/QUOTE]

i would add a big, fast wr with hands (doesnt need route running) late. and keep our short pass cathcers we have (or get fa if need to), addding a threat that opens up the whole offense.

[/QUOTE]

Problem is, a kid that can't run routes will never sniff the field in this offense.

[/QUOTE]

and wallace as well.

i disagree. if slater had great hands and caught anything within 15  yards, i think theyd send him down the field (and slanting across) more often.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not against targeting a size/speed type late in the draft, but WR's are not gonna see the field in the NE offense if they can't run routes... perform within their scheme.  Slater doesn't see the field much as a WR, because he's not a good WR.

I haven't been able to find a scouting report that questioned Victor Cruz's route running coming out of Umass, also haven't heard it listed as a weakness during his years with the Giants... if anything it's listed as a strength... he's also not the big WR that you're referencing.

Mike Wallace wasn't the late rounder that you're referencing either, he was drafted in Rd 3 by Pittsburgh... one pick after NE selected Brandon Tate.  Scouts Inc lists him as an improved route runner... he's not a big receiver either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

i don't see welker coming back. this offense has too many weapons and at 31 years old the value just isn't there for what he will be demanding. i'd really like to see robert woods or tavon austin take his spot next season and add some home run speed to that slot position. the emergence of edelmen this season has really made this an easy decision. edelman and lloyd on the outside, woods/austin at the slot.

[/QUOTE]

Edelman has flashed some ability this season, but he's been an inconsistent player during his time in NE and has durability questions... not exactly somebody that I'm banking on long term at this point.

I'd like to see Welker brought back, at the very least under another Franchise Tag... if not, Amendola remains the best possible fit, IMO, but he too has durability issues.

I'm also a fan of both Austin and Woods but hope to see them target other players first in Rd 1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i don't see welker coming back. this offense has too many weapons and at 31 years old the value just isn't there for what he will be demanding. i'd really like to see robert woods or tavon austin take his spot next season and add some home run speed to that slot position. the emergence of edelmen this season has really made this an easy decision. edelman and lloyd on the outside, woods/austin at the slot.

[/QUOTE]

Edelman has flashed some ability this season, but he's been an inconsistent player during his time in NE and has durability questions... not exactly somebody that I'm banking on long term at this point.

I'd like to see Welker brought back, at the very least under another Franchise Tag... if not, Amendola remains the best possible fit, IMO, but he too has durability issues.

I'm also a fan of both Austin and Woods but hope to see them target other players first in Rd 1.

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see Welker back. Letting him go would really set this offense back a ways. Most teams hardly play him one on one but instead choose to bracket him with a line backer and a slot cb thus opening up a one on one opportunity for either Hernandez, Branch or Gronk. If he leaves, you will see more teams playing Edelman or whatever Rookie you put in there straight up until said player proves he can consistently beat man coverage which isnt easy.

Im hoping they employ there double draft strategy with the WR position this year after they picked 2RB in 2011 and 2TE in 2010. With a pretty good WR class in 2013 they could get away with picking a quality 2nd WR on day 3. A guy like Ryan Swope, Cobi Hamilton, Markus Davis, Kenny Stills, Marquess Wilson would be good options in later rounds. Im still holding out hope for Robert Woods in the 1st or early 2nd. Not sure why he is being characterised as just a slot guy. He can do it all. He runs the entire route tree and has enough speed and route running savvy to open up the entire field for the QB.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

[/QUOTE]

I think it was faucet that had posted this, but below is a link to an article that mentions them being potentially $35M below the cap in 2013.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399828-new-england-patriots-salary-cap-scenario-heading-into-2013

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see Welker back. Letting him go would really set this offense back a ways. Most teams hardly play him one on one but instead choose to bracket him with a line backer and a slot cb thus opening up a one on one opportunity for either Hernandez, Branch or Gronk. If he leaves, you will see more teams playing Edelman or whatever Rookie you put in there straight up until said player proves he can consistently beat man coverage which isnt easy.

Im hoping they employ there double draft strategy with the WR position this year after they picked 2RB in 2011 and 2TE in 2010. With a pretty good WR class in 2013 they could get away with picking a quality 2nd WR on day 3. A guy like Ryan Swope, Cobi Hamilton, Markus Davis, Kenny Stills, Marquess Wilson would be good options in later rounds. Im still holding out hope for Robert Woods in the 1st or early 2nd. Not sure why he is being characterised as just a slot guy. He can do it all. He runs the entire route tree and has enough speed and route running savvy to open up the entire field for the QB.

[/QUOTE]

Well said on the top piece.

I'm not a huge fan of this WR class overall, but there is some talent.  Swope should be off the board on Day 2 and remains, atleast IMO, as the most likely to land in NE, based on his skill set and where he should be available (though Austin/Woods remain tops on my board at the position).  Ideal scenario for me is landing DB/front 7/OL in Rd 1, then target a WR on day 2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey MB...

Digressing here a little bit, but I wanted to give you a heads up on a couple of kids who I think should be on your watch for 2014. I am watching the Maaco Bowl on the DVR while waiting for the morning games, and noticed a couple of them on the losing team - U of Washington

TE - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. He's 6-6, 266. He looks really slim at that weight. Will probably play 270-275 if he plays in the NFL. I have only seen the first quarter, but I can tell he's pretty disciplined when assigned to block. Could push a little bit more on the block. Receiveing, he's had one catch. This one will probably go in the early rounds - especially if he can show he can be dynamic on offense (i.e., catch in stride).

DT - Danny Shelton (6-3, 317). Quick off the snap. I am in the second quarter now. I don't think he has registered a sack yet on this game, but man, he's moving double teams and even triple teams back to the Boise St QB. Earlier I saw him get off a one-one-one block to tackle the RB going to his left. Very high effot kind of guy. I like this guy more than I liked Taamu last year. May end up being a really good value pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said on the top piece.

I'm not a huge fan of this WR class overall, but there is some talent.  Swope should be off the board on Day 2 and remains, atleast IMO, as the most likely to land in NE, based on his skill set and where he should be available (though Austin/Woods remain tops on my board at the position).  Ideal scenario for me is landing DB/front 7/OL in Rd 1, then target a WR on day 2.

[/QUOTE]

I hvae just seen one Texas A&M so far (vs Alabama) and would not mind Swope in NWE as a second day pick. He showed on that game he can be a very versatile receiver.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey MB...

Digressing here a little bit, but I wanted to give you a heads up on a couple of kids who I think should be on your watch for 2014. I am watching the Maaco Bowl on the DVR while waiting for the morning games, and noticed a couple of them on the losing team - U of Washington

TE - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. He's 6-6, 266. He looks really slim at that weight. Will probably play 270-275 if he plays in the NFL. I have only seen the first quarter, but I can tell he's pretty disciplined when assigned to block. Could push a little bit more on the block. Receiveing, he's had one catch. This one will probably go in the early rounds - especially if he can show he can be dynamic on offense (i.e., catch in stride).

DT - Danny Shelton (6-3, 317). Quick off the snap. I am in the second quarter now. I don't think he has registered a sack yet on this game, but man, he's moving double teams and even triple teams back to the Boise St QB. Earlier I saw him get off a one-one-one block to tackle the RB going to his left. Very high effot kind of guy. I like this guy more than I liked Taamu last year. May end up being a really good value pick.

[/QUOTE]

Both of these guys look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will do more researchon them and report.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey MB...

[/QUOTE]

Both of these guys look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will do more researchon them and report.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Austin

Woods

Swope

Bailey

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and wallace as well.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not against targeting a size/speed type late in the draft, but WR's are not gonna see the field in the NE offense if they can't run routes... perform within their scheme.  Slater doesn't see the field much as a WR, because he's not a good WR.

I haven't been able to find a scouting report that questioned Victor Cruz's route running coming out of Umass, also haven't heard it listed as a weakness during his years with the Giants... if anything it's listed as a strength... he's also not the big WR that you're referencing.

Mike Wallace wasn't the late rounder that you're referencing either, he was drafted in Rd 3 by Pittsburgh... one pick after NE selected Brandon Tate.  Scouts Inc lists him as an improved route runner... he's not a big receiver either.

[/QUOTE]

cruz was a one trick pony who couldnt run routes

wallace didnt copare on the round picked  was referring to 2 guys who only could run down field when drafted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

does NE have enough cap room going into next season to sign wes, vollmer, talib, woodhead, edelman and say osi umenyiora?

[/QUOTE]

35 mil i believe

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Jordan Poyer of Oregon St. does any one have info or youtube video on him.Heard could be

day 2 pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BILLB50's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jordan Poyer of Oregon St. does any one have info or youtube video on him.Heard could be

day 2 pick.

[/QUOTE]

I love Poyer... top CB on my board (assuming Milliner is well out of range)... Top 50 kid with Rd 1 upside. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey MB...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I'll give'm a look.

On the topic of 2014 kids, keep an eye on a few ND defenders in the NC game... DE Stephon Tuitt, NT Louis Nix III, CB Bennett Jackson and OLB Prince Shembo... Tuitt has Top 5-10 upside, Nix Rd 1 upside while Jackson and Shembo project as Day 2 kids... I should also note that ND plays a base 34.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ok mb, this is how i have it:

the huuuuge glaring need for this team 1a and 1a is at off line and pass rush.

so we need a strategy that starts there. sure an elite corner would be great to have but with a weak pass rush as ours, it wont matter much.

without some o line help that can win at run blocking and pass blocking this offense will never be at its peak and therefore make successful sb bids (wins) very unlikely.

good o line talent can be chosen later in the draft, but pass rushers will be gone by late rd 1.

so we need to either get babin in the offseason or another proven pass rusher or move up with the help of 2014 picks and get a player like jordan or ansah in rd 1.

we use the rd 3 pick on frederick moving up in rd 3 if need be if we think he will be grabbed (again usign 2014 picks - we wont need a ton more youth after this year. we need more experience and   a few key players).

with the rd 2 pick id like to get a dt (outside wr who can separate and catch is a need, but our ability to pick one is poor. ditto for a cb or s)

however through fa and the draft we need a safety that can hit and can cover ala j byrd or goldson who are available; a top corner to go along with talb (so we can make dennard [or dowling if he dont break] our 3rd corner); a linebacker with speed who can cover tes/rbs out of backfield, and the above mentioned big wr who can separate on the outside.

there are numerous variations obviously depending on who we target in fa.

the only scenario i can see where id be ok with taking a rhodes (cb) for instance in rd 1 is if we have the pass rusher already in fa. given my druthers id rather have a modest cb in fa who is proven and get the elite dt in rd 1 in this case (having our pass rusher in fa).

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 2 dt  williams (will he fall here? some mocks say yes, some say no)

rd 3 c/g frederick

if we dont trade up far enough to get a pass rusher in rd 1,

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

williams dt (or barret jones c/g) in 1

best player availble (safety ie rambo/cb ie poyer/speed lb -not spotted yet/wr whoever falls)or dt willimas in 2 if barrett jones in rd 1

frederick in 3

wr in rd 7 (big separating reciver with hands possibly smalll school, div 3 etc, maybe no route running exp)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

By the way,

J Jenkins Just tied Record For Int's returned for TD in a year. Guess He Was Worth the Pick After All.

rookie record for most ints for td. 

he gets one next week he will have the alltime record.

Now that we have similar in talib (guy who can play man and is a threat to take any pass to the house), we better keep him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

national footbal post, one of the top mockers but often different from the norm

has their 2.0 out'

interestigly hankins makes it to 26

ansah to 24

willimas 29

pats taking banks at 28

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mock-Draft-20.html

given how close hankins and ansah come, if it played out this way, id think wed have a great shot at moving up to get whichever we want.

as i think pass rush (and o line which can be had in rd 3) is top priority, if we dont get babin or other pass rusher, and we think ansah can be another jones or better, than i would pull the trigger adn trade up with 2014 pick for ansah.

once we have a pass rush, then a cb can make a difference.

if we dont get a safety or cb in fa, could then use rd 2 to get safety or cb or dt or outside wr.

and get the o line help in rd 3.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

so we need a strategy that starts there. sure an elite corner would be great to have but with a weak pass rush as ours, it wont matter much.

without some o line help that can win at run blocking and pass blocking this offense will never be at its peak and therefore make successful sb bids (wins) very unlikely.

good o line talent can be chosen later in the draft, but pass rushers will be gone by late rd 1.

so we need to either get babin in the offseason or another proven pass rusher or move up with the help of 2014 picks and get a player like jordan or ansah in rd 1.

we use the rd 3 pick on frederick moving up in rd 3 if need be if we think he will be grabbed (again usign 2014 picks - we wont need a ton more youth after this year. we need more experience and   a few key players).

with the rd 2 pick id like to get a dt (outside wr who can separate and catch is a need, but our ability to pick one is poor. ditto for a cb or s)

however through fa and the draft we need a safety that can hit and can cover ala j byrd or goldson who are available; a top corner to go along with talb (so we can make dennard [or dowling if he dont break] our 3rd corner); a linebacker with speed who can cover tes/rbs out of backfield, and the above mentioned big wr who can separate on the outside.

the only scenario i can see where id be ok with taking a rhodes (cb) for instance in rd 1 is if we have the pass rusher already in fa. given my druthers id rather have a modest cb in fa who is proven and get the elite dt in rd 1 in this case (having our pass rusher in fa).

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

best player availble (safety ie rambo/cb ie poyer/speed lb -not spotted yet/wr whoever falls)or dt willimas in 2 if barrett jones in rd 1

frederick in 3

wr in rd 7 (big separating reciver with hands possibly smalll school, div 3 etc, maybe no route running exp)

[/QUOTE]

I'll start by saying that while there's room for improvement across the board (as there is with most teams), there's no positional grouping or unit that will lead to the demise of the team over the short/long term, preventing wins/consistency... as BB/NC have done a good job of building positional depth. 

With that said, I still believe DT/DE/OL/DB will be targeted in Rd 1.  If I'm being honest, UNC OG Jon Cooper could be the best player available when NE selects based on pure talent/ability... put the tape in, this kid is gonna be an All-Pro.

Of the scenarios metioned in your post I think the Rd 1 Williams/Rd 2 Hunt/Rd 2 Frederick has the best chance of happening, based on player availibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

frederick in 3

[/QUOTE]

I'll start by saying that while there's room for improvement across the board (as there is with most teams), there's no positional grouping or unit that will lead to the demise of the team over the short/long term, preventing wins/consistency... as BB/NC have done a good job of building positional depth. 

With that said, I still believe DT/DE/OL/DB will be targeted in Rd 1.  If I'm being honest, UNC OG Jon Cooper could be the best player available when NE selects based on pure talent/ability... put the tape in, this kid is gonna be an All-Pro.

Of the scenarios metioned in your post I think the Rd 1 Williams/Rd 2 Hunt/Rd 2 Frederick has the best chance of happening, based on player availibility.

[/QUOTE]

I too like Jonathan Cooper a lot. My question however is what happens to the young group on interior linemen that the Pats already have on their roster if they choose to go OL in round 1? Donald Thomas has played really well this year but is a low profile guy who could be brought back for less than what it takes to sign a first round pick at the end of round one. If they judge Connolly's back issue to be chronic then in that case maybe we could justify picking a Guard in round 1. Nick Macdonald and Ryan Wendell have also looked pretty good this year. Retaining Thomas gives the Pats a core of 5 solid interior guys in Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Thomas and Macdonald that you can definately win with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 3 c/g frederick

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

frederick in 3

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I too like Jonathan Cooper a lot. My question however is what happens to the young group on interior linemen that the Pats already have on their roster if they choose to go OL in round 1? Donald Thomas has played really well this year but is a low profile guy who could be brought back for less than what it takes to sign a first round pick at the end of round one. If they judge Connolly's back issue to be chronic then in that case maybe we could justify picking a Guard in round 1. Nick Macdonald and Ryan Wendell have also looked pretty good this year. Retaining Thomas gives the Pats a core of 5 solid interior guys in Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Thomas and Macdonald that you can definately win with.

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair question and one that'll prob be discussed internally for all positions... weighing current talent vs. available.  I think they're in a good spot where they don't have to force a pick to address a specific position... I just think Jon Cooper could = BPA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If Cooper is an opgrade to the starting lline up then the question does not even need to be asked.