***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

You think FS TJ McDonald will be available late 1st round? Then hit the OL in the second? Maybe a center and Connolly can move to Guard which I think is a more natural fit for him. Any C's worth a 2nd round pick? I know it's a pipe dream...but Greg Jennings I believe is a FA next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The way things are shaping up right now it looks like a couple strengths of the draft the Pats could look into are:

NT - without a doubt this is a major strength early in this draft. You have at least 2 NT's that will be in consideration for top 10 picks this year with 2 maybe 3 other pure NT's taken by the middle of the 3rd round. In addition you have at least 2 DT's with the possibility of being NT converts going by the end of the 2nd round. It's been a long time since I've seen the prospect of 4-7 NT's coming off the board in the first 3 rounds

RG/RT tweeners - There really aren't a lot of top end G's this year and starting LG's might be hard to find but there seems to be a large number of starting potential RG/RT tweeners between rounds 2-5. Most teams wouldn't touch a starting RG until the late first and RG/RT tweeners not until the mid to late 2nd. Bailey, Cooper, Frederick, Jackson, Long there is potential there

DE/OLB - there is a lot here to choose from much like last years crop. And, like last years crop I see a big run coming in the mid 1st to mid 2nd round so the odds of a Okafor falling to us might be slim but there are a number of high talent raw prospects that are worth taking a look at, namely Taylor, Gholston, Martin, and Hunt. Now 1 maybe 2 of those high talent physcially gifted guys will stick in the league but that might be the best chance to get a bookend for Jones without trading away the draft. For my money I want Gholston because of his solid run D ability to set the edge stay strong at PoA and to sniff out screens. He's more pro ready of the group because of his run stopping ability, but he's also the most raw when it comes to pass rushing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The way things are shaping up right now it looks like a couple strengths of the draft the Pats could look into are:

NT - without a doubt this is a major strength early in this draft. You have at least 2 NT's that will be in consideration for top 10 picks this year with 2 maybe 3 other pure NT's taken by the middle of the 3rd round. In addition you have at least 2 DT's with the possibility of being NT converts going by the end of the 2nd round. It's been a long time since I've seen the prospect of 4-7 NT's coming off the board in the first 3 rounds

RG/RT tweeners - There really aren't a lot of top end G's this year and starting LG's might be hard to find but there seems to be a large number of starting potential RG/RT tweeners between rounds 2-5. Most teams wouldn't touch a starting RG until the late first and RG/RT tweeners not until the mid to late 2nd. Bailey, Cooper, Frederick, Jackson, Long there is potential there

DE/OLB - there is a lot here to choose from much like last years crop. And, like last years crop I see a big run coming in the mid 1st to mid 2nd round so the odds of a Okafor falling to us might be slim but there are a number of high talent raw prospects that are worth taking a look at, namely Taylor, Gholston, Martin, and Hunt. Now 1 maybe 2 of those high talent physcially gifted guys will stick in the league but that might be the best chance to get a bookend for Jones without trading away the draft. For my money I want Gholston because of his solid run D ability to set the edge stay strong at PoA and to sniff out screens. He's more pro ready of the group because of his run stopping ability, but he's also the most raw when it comes to pass rushing.

[/QUOTE]

nice work eng, thanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Some good games on today, who are you guys rooting for?

10 Florida vs 4 LSU

5 Georgia vs 6 South Carolina

8 West Virginia vs 11 Texas

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Jadeveon Clowney looks really good! Great athlete and sets the edge well. Really quick off the ball and great pass rusher

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some good games on today, who are you guys rooting for?

10 Florida vs 4 LSU

5 Georgia vs 6 South Carolina

8 West Virginia vs 11 Texas

[/QUOTE]

i didnt read this before i left the house today.

as ans sec fan and florida teams fan (from florida)

i wanted florida, south carolina (ball coach ex gator and prolific florida coach; georgia longtime rival), and west virginia.

and i signed on to say, 

Bammmm!

florida and south carolina d really brung it. 

lots of players going to teh nfl form these 2 teams.

if they didnt play each other, i could see them finishing 2 and 3.

with the new bcs bullcrap formula where each region picks a team, if the 3 best teams in the country are in the sec, they wont be in the final 4 due to local voting politics (of other regions).

its a crap formula just to shut up any criticsim, and it will likely work, as it will restrict the # of sec teams from going to the final 4 (giving teams that may not be as good from other regions a chance at a title).

but if you dont face the best sec teams in the seaosn (when they are in the top 4) and you only have to face 1 of them, it is a sham of a season. 

1.) teams should not be able to choose their own out of conference schedule.

2.) last years bcs formula was better than the new one. 

3.) there should be 8 teams in a playoff or the top 4 teams in the country chosen, not by region.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Jadeveon Clowney looks really good! Great athlete and sets the edge well. Really quick off the ball and great pass rusher

[/QUOTE]

"Jadeveon Clowney looks really good!"

understatement.......

:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i wish oregon, notre dame played a top 10 team.

kansas state is overranked to me. as usual. (big 12 and state are usually overranked)

they will liklely get theirs from west va or someone else. 

what if out of conference games were similar the nfl formula.

say you played 2 games against one major and 2 againstt anther, and this rotated year to year.

you would have a lot more fair natl champion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watchlist updated 10/7!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ejb222's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You think FS TJ McDonald will be available late 1st round? Then hit the OL in the second? Maybe a center and Connolly can move to Guard which I think is a more natural fit for him. Any C's worth a 2nd round pick? I know it's a pipe dream...but Greg Jennings I believe is a FA next year.

[/QUOTE]

McDonald looks like a top 50 that could come off the board in the last quarter of Rd 1.  Elite size with good movement skills that will allow him to match up against today's athletic TE's and can also cover RB's out of the backfield.  He's a versatile kid that lines up deep, in the slot, as a box S/OLB hybrid and will come off the edge as both a rusher/blitzer in some packages... he doesn't shy away from contact, is quick to fill and while he doesn't look like a true enforcer to me (still wanna see more tape), he will get his nose dirty and plays to the whistle. 

I'm generally not too high on SC defenders, believe their overrated, but I like this kids size, athleticsm and bloodlines.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PE,

RE:  OLB/DE... give Oregon's Dion Jordan a look, I profiled him early in the thread... kid has elite length and athleticism and plays most all of his snaps out of a 2 point stance... I think you'll like what you see.  Of course, I'm prob gonna beat the Bjoern Werner drum to death until he either stays in school or plays/performs himself out of the bottom quarter of Rd 1 (where I think NE will be selecting).

RE:  NT- How'd your boy Jenkins look yesterday?  I didn't catch any of the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Welcome back, again!

Below is my watchlist for the upcomin season, I'll make changes/add/drop as the season moves a long and more info/film becomes available.
    MB who in your opinion is the best CB in this draft? Also the best O-lineman?

OFFENSE:

QB:

*AJ McCarron- 6-4 210- Alabama *ADDED 9/9*

WR:

TJ Moe- 5-11 200- Missouri

Jamal Miles- 5-10 180- Arizona State

Tavon Austin- 5-9 175- WVU

Ryan Swope- 6-0 206- Tex A&M

Russell Shepherd- 6-0 195- LSU

Robby Toma- 5-9 185- ND

*Andre Debose- 5-9 195- Florida

RB:

Rex Burkhead- 5-11 210- Nebraska

Stepfan Taylor- 5-11 210- Stanford

Ronnie Wingo- 6-2 230- Arkansas

Theo Riddick-5-11 200 ND

*Le’Veon Bell- 6-2 244- Michigan State

*Spencer Ware- 5-11 225- LSU

*Michael Ford- 5-10 216- LSU

*Alfred Blue- 6-1 220- LSU

*Cierre Wood- 6-0 215- ND

*Anthony Wilkerson -6-1 220- Stanford

TE:

Jake Stoneburner- 6-5 240- Ohio State

Joseph Fauria- 6-7 252- UCLA

Philip Lutzenkirchen- 6-4 250- Auburn

Michael Williams- 6-5 272- Alabama

Ben Cotton- 6-6 255- Nebraska

*Tyler Eifert- 6-5 250- ND

*CJ Fiedorowicz- 6-6 265- Iowa

*Levine Toilolo- 6-7 263- Stanford

*Zach Ertz- 6-6 250- Stanford

OL:

OT Ricky Wagner- 6-6 320- Wisconsin

OT Alex Hurst- 6-6 332- LSU

OT Xavier Nixon- 6-5 314- Florida

OT Dallas Thomas- 6-5 310- Tennessee

OT Oday Aboushi- 6-6 31- Virginia

OT John Wetzel- 6-7 300- BC

OT Tanner Hawkinson- 6-5 300- Kansas

*OT Luke Joeckel- 6-6 310- Tex A&M

*OT Taylor Lewan- 6-7 310- Michigan

*OT Chris Faulk- 6-4 323- LSU *Out for 2012 with an knee injury*

*OT DJ Fluker- 6-6 335- Alabama

OG Barrett Jones- 6-4 305- Alabama

OG Chance Warmack- 6-2 322- Alabama

OG Blaize Foltz- 6-4 310- TCU

*OG Travis Frederick- 6-4 310- Wisconsin

*OG Alvin Bailey- 6-5 315- Arkansas

*OG Gabe Jackson- 6-4 320- Miss State

*OG Josh Williford- 6-6 332- LSU

C Khaled Holmes- 6-3 305- USC

C Graham Pocic- 6-5 310- Illinois

C Braxton Cave- 6-3 305- ND

C PJ Lonergan- 6-3 305- LSU

C Dalton Freeman- 6-4 286- Clemson

C TJ Johnson- 6-5 318 South Carolina

*C Travis Swanson- 6-4 305- Arkansas

Defense:

DT:

Jesse Williams- 6-3 320- Alabama

Star Lotulelei- 6-3 320- Utah

Kawann Short- 6-3 315- Purdue

John Jenkins- 6-3 358- Georgia

Baker Steinkuhler- 6-6 290- Nebraska *ADDED 10/7*

*Johnathan Hankins- 6-3 320- Ohio State

*Bennie Logan- 6-3 295- LSU

DE:

Devin Taylor- 6-7 267- South Carolina

Michael Buchanan- 6-5 240- Illinois

Kapron Lewis-Moore- 6-4 306- ND

Margus Hunt- 6-7 280- SMU

Dion Jordan- 6-6 243- Oregon

John Simon- 6-2 260- Ohio State

Walter Stewart- 6-5 249- Cincinnati *ADDED 9/7*

Dan Giordano- 6-3 260- Cincinnati *ADDED 9/7*

Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah- 6-6 270- BYU *ADDED 9/21*

Cornellius Carradine- 6-5 265- FSU * ADDED 9/30

*Sam Montgomery- 6-5 260- LSU

*Bjoern Werner- 6-4 256- FSU

*William Gholston- 6-6 278- Mich St

*Jackson Jeffcoat- 6-5 245- Texas

*James Gayle- 6-4 268- VT

ILB:

Manti Te’o- 6-2 255- ND

Shayne Skov- 6-3 242- Stanford

Nico Johnson- 6-2 245- Alabama

OLB:

Brandon Jenkins- 6-3 260- FSU

Chase Thomas- 6-4 248- Stanford

Barkevious Mingo- 6-4 240- LSU

Travis Long- 6-4 245- Washington ST *ADDED 9/30*

CB:

Johnathan Banks- 6-1 185- Miss St

Terry Hawthorne- 6-0 190- Illinios

Micah Hyde- 6-1 190- Iowa

Jordan Poyer- 5-11 190- Oregon St

*Dee Milliner- 6-1 198- Alabama

*David Amerson- 6-2 194- NC St

*Xavier Rhodes- 6-1 217- FSU

*Logan Ryan- 6-0 190- Rutgers

*Bennett Jackson- 6-0 185- ND

*Tharold Simon- 6-2 193- LSU

S:

Robert Lester- 6-2 212- Alabama

Kenny Vaccaro- 6-1 218- Texas

TJ McDonald- 6-2 205- USC

John Boyett- 5-10 205- Oregon

Bacarri Rambo- 5-10 205- Georgia

Jordan Kovacs- 5-11 202- Michigan

Zeke Motta- 6-2 215- ND *ADDED 9/18*

Ray Ray Armstrong- 6-3 216- Miami *Dismissed from The U, denied NAIA eligibility*

Drew Frey- 6-3 212- Cincinnati

Jamoris Slaughter- 6-0 200- ND *Out for the rest of 2012 with Achilles injury*

Prentiss Wagner- 6-2 184- Tenn

*Matt Elam- 5-10 202- Florida

*Craig Loston- 6-2 205- LSU

*Eric Reid- 6-2 212- LSU

*Tony Jefferson- 5-11 212- Oklahoma

*CJ Barnett- 6-0 202- OSU

*Denotes Underclassmen

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good to see Dennard  flash some coverage ability and ball skills... like that he turns his head and plays the football vs. McCourty who too often prefers to face guard his man which results in a lot of PI calls or TD's, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PE,

RE:  OLB/DE... give Oregon's Dion Jordan a look, I profiled him early in the thread... kid has elite length and athleticism and plays most all of his snaps out of a 2 point stance... I think you'll like what you see.  Of course, I'm prob gonna beat the Bjoern Werner drum to death until he either stays in school or plays/performs himself out of the bottom quarter of Rd 1 (where I think NE will be selecting).

RE:  NT- How'd your boy Jenkins look yesterday?  I didn't catch any of the game.

[/QUOTE]

I caught some of the Oregon game and Jordan looks good! Really explosive and quick off the snap. I don't think I'd put him above Werner yet though because Werner looks better against the run.

Jenkins is simply overpowering. I think he could lose about 15 or 20 lbs as long as it doesn't hurt his strength. He does a good job collapsing the pocket.

From what I saw in the LSU/Florida game, I think Lonergan is their best lineman.  Hurst needs to work on his footwork and Willford looks like a good pass blocker but not as effective as a run blocker. It also is good to know Lonergan has experience with shotgun snaps.

Mingo needs to bulk up a bit to play the run better but he's quick and athletic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

Good to see Dennard  flash some coverage ability and ball skills... like that he turns his head and plays the football vs. McCourty who too often prefers to face guard his man which results in a lot of PI calls or TD's, etc.

[/QUOTE]
    Two different types of DB's DMac is a solid tackler an rarely yields YAC,while Dennard is a shutdown type corner,he was better than his collegiate teammate Akumura when they played together at U-Neb,he will turn out to be a solid CB once he acclimates to the speed of the game in the NFL,never thought he'd still be on the board in the 7th round and I wonder how much BB paid the cop in Nebraska to instigate the tussle between the two,which in effect destroyed his ranking as far as the draft was concerned......I know you answered my question about the 2013 draft by pointing to the draft chart you drew up but I was looking for your opinion on which players at the DB and O-line positions that would fit the Patriots needs and where they draft as to who would be availible in the late first round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PE,

[/QUOTE]

I caught some of the Oregon game and Jordan looks good! Really explosive and quick off the snap. I don't think I'd put him above Werner yet though because Werner looks better against the run.

Jenkins is simply overpowering. I think he could lose about 15 or 20 lbs as long as it doesn't hurt his strength. He does a good job collapsing the pocket.

From what I saw in the LSU/Florida game, I think Lonergan is their best lineman.  Hurst needs to work on his footwork and Willford looks like a good pass blocker but not as effective as a run blocker. It also is good to know Lonergan has experience with shotgun snaps.

Mingo needs to bulk up a bit to play the run better but he's quick and athletic.

[/QUOTE]

good stuff

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly (on dennard and mccourty)

by the way, do you read regular threads over last year and this?

seen me getting flamed for even discussing mcc's technique after games for last year and a half?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PE,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's some good youtube vid on Jordan too... I like that a lot of the tape out there on players is just a cut up of games played vs. showing just highlights... gives you a chance to see the good and bad in a player. 

Thanks for the feedback on the LSU linemen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Two different types of DB's DMac is a solid tackler an rarely yields YAC,while Dennard is a shutdown type corner,he was better than his collegiate teammate Akumura when they played together at U-Neb,he will turn out to be a solid CB once he acclimates to the speed of the game in the NFL,never thought he'd still be on the board in the 7th round and I wonder how much BB paid the cop in Nebraska to instigate the tussle between the two,which in effect destroyed his ranking as far as the draft was concerned......I know you answered my question about the 2013 draft by pointing to the draft chart you drew up but I was looking for your opinion on which players at the DB and O-line positions that would fit the Patriots needs and where they draft as to who would be availible in the late first round.

[/QUOTE]

See I can't by the argument that they're two different kind of corners as IMO, bad technique is bad technique... sure DMC is a solid run defender, but that doesn't cancel out the fact that he consistently is in bad position and hardly ever has his head turned.  I also think Amukamara was the better college player.  I do hope that Dennard continues to develop as he could be an absolute steal relative to his talent vs. draft position... I'm sure BB sent the cop a nice $100 gift card to Patriot Place, haha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly (on dennard and mccourty)

by the way, do you read regular threads over last year and this?

seen me getting flamed for even discussing mcc's technique after games for last year and a half?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's certainly been a pain point for most fans over the last two seasons.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

[/QUOTE]

You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams.

LSU has the same issues as ND... a BCS Championship level defense with an unproven/inconsistent offense.  ND in particular is 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (behind only Alabama) and hasn't given up a TD in any of the last (3) games vs. Michigan St/Michigan/Miami, the first two were ranked at the time and Miami just came off of a ACC record passing performance vs. NC St the week before... granted there was some luck involved in the Miami game as one of their WR's dropp two potential TD catches in their first drive... but did little after.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

For the 2nd year in a row I will be requesting secondary upgrades VIA free agency and not through the draft. Last year I wanted Finnegan (was very well paid  despite being worth it) and Jermaiah Bell (should be on our team right now).

Next year I want Jairus Byrd, who hits just as hard as Chung (who can walk) despite being more of a FS and a definite ballhawk. I also want Jason McCourty, although not at Finnegan prices, but like 6/36, he can start alongside, and push/be competitive with, his little brother.

After that it is pretty clear what needs to be shorn up in the draft: The lines.

Interior O-line, C or G, and a DE/DT in that 6'3"-6'5" 290-310 3 or 5 tech mold. Get a starter with our 1st/2nd and I'd be pretty happy.

Vollmer could stay and I'd be ok with it, but an upgrade to Jake Long, at even 2-3X the cash, moving Solder over to RT, would protect Brady until the end of his career, and that is the #1 thing you need to worry about with a 36-39 year old QB PROTECT HIM!

3rd/4th rd we can add a WR. I'd also look to Malcolm Floyd in FA, seems like the kinds 3-5m a year #2-3 WR that can adjust to this system and fit in perfectly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watchlist updated 10/8!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the 2nd year in a row I will be requesting secondary upgrades VIA free agency and not through the draft. Last year I wanted Finnegan (was very well paid  despite being worth it) and Jermaiah Bell (should be on our team right now).

Next year I want Jairus Byrd, who hits just as hard as Chung (who can walk) despite being more of a FS and a definite ballhawk. I also want Jason McCourty, although not at Finnegan prices, but like 6/36, he can start alongside, and push/be competitive with, his little brother.

After that it is pretty clear what needs to be shorn up in the draft: The lines.

Interior O-line, C or G, and a DE/DT in that 6'3"-6'5" 290-310 3 or 5 tech mold. Get a starter with our 1st/2nd and I'd be pretty happy.

Vollmer could stay and I'd be ok with it, but an upgrade to Jake Long, at even 2-3X the cash, moving Solder over to RT, would protect Brady until the end of his career, and that is the #1 thing you need to worry about with a 36-39 year old QB PROTECT HIM!

3rd/4th rd we can add a WR. I'd also look to Malcolm Floyd in FA, seems like the kinds 3-5m a year #2-3 WR that can adjust to this system and fit in perfectly.

[/QUOTE]

Amendola is a very intriguing future FA to me and it'll be interesting to see how their WR situation plays out, relative to WW.  If they let him walk, DA is a natural replacement to me.