***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:

[QUOTE]

My first very early mock draft:

assuming talib is resigned and wendell is allowed to walk, perhaps cut connolly if he refuses to restructure.  I believe we have a good set of young WR's who just need time to get used to playing with brady and they will improve with a years experience.  Perhaps bring in anothe less injury prone vet WR but besides that I think that position is fine.  I think our most glaring weaknesses this seaon were the interior of our lines. injury on the D line and the lack of size on our O-line.  vince and kelly are both amazing linemen but they are going to be 32 and 33 respectively and we need to start thinking about bringing in someone to take their place in the future.    The safety position is an issue but being that BB is not good at drfting that position I say get it in FA, sure we spend a little more to get a solid SS but we are not wasting valueable draft picks over and over.  

1st round - Rashede Hagman, DT Minnesota

2nd round - T. Swanson, C, Arkansas - we need a big center to fight the mammoth DTs we have trouble with

3rd round - Daniel McCullers, DT Tenn. - we need to think of the future with vince and kelly getting older

4th round - Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State - can run/catch, quick feet and runs people over like a mack truck

6th round (philly) - Gabe Ikard, C/OG, Oaklahoma - a replacement for connolly

6th round - Colt Lyera, TE, oregon - some off the field issues but a solid TE.  low risk high reward

7th round - marcus Williams, CB, North dakota State

UDFA - Jordan zumwalt OLB, UCLA

[/QUOTE]

Love the idea of adding hogs to both sides of the LOS... def hope to see that during draft weekend and is something that I'll be projecting as well... with maybe a few different names.

I see the potential value of Lyerla, but I really want no part of that kid (BB/NC may think differently)... he's shown no ability to think rationally or make good decisions and from what I've read the feedback in recruiting circles is that he was out of his tree in HS and clearly he's only gotten worse.

I like the idea of Zumwalt on Day 3.... also like PSU's Glenn Carson in that range.

[/QUOTE]

I will have to do more research on Glenn Carson.  I have been thinking about also adding kenny Guiton QB OSU to my draft/udfa.  he would eb a good pick up with good accuracy mobility and height/weight.  good leader too.  Could make a solid Mallet replacement if he gets traded this offseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Not sure if anyone pointed out Devonta Freeman but he looks impressive! Vereen is so injury prone, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats draft this kid. He makes good cuts and seems to have good field vision and good pass catcher out of the backfield. Also like his pass protection from what I see

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24177177/2014-nfl-draft-seminoles-may-have-nations-best-rbs

Freeman, a Ray Rice clone at 5-foot-8, 203 pounds, was the most impressive of the Seminoles' backs. He attacked holes, showing a nice stop-start move in traffic to avoid tacklers and the burst to leave them in his wake. He was even more effective as a receiver, showing natural vacuum hands and the vision and speed to turn a short screen pass into a 48-yard touchdown that gave Florida State's a commanding 21-7 lead with 5:08 remaining in the second quarter.

Freeman hasn't earned nearly as much hype as Wilder but he's emerged as Florida State's primary back, leading the team with 639 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He carried the ball 23 times for 78 yards and caught six passes for another 98 against Miami, both season-highs. The extra focus on Freeman wasn't by chance. The only other 20-carry game of Freeman's career came two weeks ago in Florida State's big win over Clemson, in which he also scored a touchdown..........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure if anyone pointed out Devonta Freeman but he looks impressive! Vereen is so injury prone, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats draft this kid. He makes good cuts and seems to have good field vision and good pass catcher out of the backfield. Also like his pass protection from what I see

[/QUOTE]

Hc,

I was watching what you were watching last night and was gonna post the same things this morning, haha... was thoroughly impressed with Freeman vs. Miami last night.  He reminds me a bit of Andre Ellington (or a bigger Chris Thompson who I liked in last years class) in both appearance and explosiveness.  He's a dual thread kid, as you mention, and he runs with a good level of toughness, ferocity and natrual leverage and he has some wiggle to his game as well... heck all of their backs seem too (Wilder Jr. and Karlos Williams included).  

LOVE this kid as an option at some point on Day 2 or early Day 3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My first very early mock draft:

assuming talib is resigned and wendell is allowed to walk, perhaps cut connolly if he refuses to restructure.  I believe we have a good set of young WR's who just need time to get used to playing with brady and they will improve with a years experience.  Perhaps bring in anothe less injury prone vet WR but besides that I think that position is fine.  I think our most glaring weaknesses this seaon were the interior of our lines. injury on the D line and the lack of size on our O-line.  vince and kelly are both amazing linemen but they are going to be 32 and 33 respectively and we need to start thinking about bringing in someone to take their place in the future.    The safety position is an issue but being that BB is not good at drfting that position I say get it in FA, sure we spend a little more to get a solid SS but we are not wasting valueable draft picks over and over.  

1st round - Rashede Hagman, DT Minnesota

2nd round - T. Swanson, C, Arkansas - we need a big center to fight the mammoth DTs we have trouble with

3rd round - Daniel McCullers, DT Tenn. - we need to think of the future with vince and kelly getting older

4th round - Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State - can run/catch, quick feet and runs people over like a mack truck

6th round (philly) - Gabe Ikard, C/OG, Oaklahoma - a replacement for connolly

6th round - Colt Lyera, TE, oregon - some off the field issues but a solid TE.  low risk high reward

7th round - marcus Williams, CB, North dakota State

UDFA - Jordan zumwalt OLB, UCLA

[/QUOTE]

Love the idea of adding hogs to both sides of the LOS... def hope to see that during draft weekend and is something that I'll be projecting as well... with maybe a few different names.

I see the potential value of Lyerla, but I really want no part of that kid (BB/NC may think differently)... he's shown no ability to think rationally or make good decisions and from what I've read the feedback in recruiting circles is that he was out of his tree in HS and clearly he's only gotten worse.

I like the idea of Zumwalt on Day 3.... also like PSU's Glenn Carson in that range.

[/QUOTE]

I will have to do more research on Glenn Carson.  I have been thinking about also adding kenny Guiton QB OSU to my draft/udfa.  he would eb a good pick up with good accuracy mobility and height/weight.  good leader too.  Could make a solid Mallet replacement if he gets traded this offseason.

[/QUOTE]

I like it, kid has flashed some def potential this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ND DT Kona Schwenke is a kid to keep an eye on on Day 3.  Good size/length (6-4 305) with the versatility to play in even and odd fronts... good motor and instincts.  He's a rotational kid right now, but is getting more burn recently with the injuries to Nix and Sheldon Day upfront.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

chances Hageman be there in late 20s/32 for the pats? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's alive!

I think there's a decent chance that he's available in that range... though he may play/test/measure himself into the top 20 when all is said and done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

What do you guys think of the Penn State DT - DaQuan Jones?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

They're going to have to draft a QB. Brady will turn 37 next year. I like the Aaron Rodgers approach:

• Draft a talented college QB from a questionable program (Jeff Tedford) that produced the likes of Kyle Boller, Alex Smith, and David Carr.
    • Let him hold the clipboard for 3 seasons, unlearning and relearning the QB position during this time.
    • Profit.

The longer the Pats put off drafting a QB, the more difficult it will be to settle on one in the future. Sadly, BB's track record on drafted QBs (beyond Brady), is poor at best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24177177/2014-nfl-draft-seminoles-may-have-nations-best-rbs

Freeman, a Ray Rice clone at 5-foot-8, 203 pounds, was the most impressive of the Seminoles' backs. He attacked holes, showing a nice stop-start move in traffic to avoid tacklers and the burst to leave them in his wake. He was even more effective as a receiver, showing natural vacuum hands and the vision and speed to turn a short screen pass into a 48-yard touchdown that gave Florida State's a commanding 21-7 lead with 5:08 remaining in the second quarter.

Freeman hasn't earned nearly as much hype as Wilder but he's emerged as Florida State's primary back, leading the team with 639 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. He carried the ball 23 times for 78 yards and caught six passes for another 98 against Miami, both season-highs. The extra focus on Freeman wasn't by chance. The only other 20-carry game of Freeman's career came two weeks ago in Florida State's big win over Clemson, in which he also scored a touchdown..........

[/QUOTE]

JJ, Thanks for posting, this is good info. It will be interesting to see how they split the carries up moving forward.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hc,

I was watching what you were watching last night and was gonna post the same things this morning, haha... was thoroughly impressed with Freeman vs. Miami last night.  He reminds me a bit of Andre Ellington (or a bigger Chris Thompson who I liked in last years class) in both appearance and explosiveness.  He's a dual thread kid, as you mention, and he runs with a good level of toughness, ferocity and natrual leverage and he has some wiggle to his game as well... heck all of their backs seem too (Wilder Jr. and Karlos Williams included).  

LOVE this kid as an option at some point on Day 2 or early Day 3.

[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, I like those comparisons to Freeman. Thompson was a favorite of mine, I was suprised he dropped to the 5th. I agree, FSU has a good stable of RB's but Freeman really stood out to me. I haven't watched a lot of college ball this year but I look forward to seeing more of him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's alive!

I think there's a decent chance that he's available in that range... though he may play/test/measure himself into the top 20 when all is said and done.

[/QUOTE]

haha I am alive lol been a long year, but can't wait to get back into it.  He could test off the charts which will put him way out of reach but hope he's available.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you guys think of the Penn State DT - DaQuan Jones?

[/QUOTE]

Good sized kid (6-3 320), active, moves well, instinctive, uses heavy hands well and can shed blockers efficiently or use bull rush to make  plays at or behind the LOS.  Need to be more consistent at the POA as he can be washed by multiple blockers but good strength there overall, he also shows the ability to split the double.  

Rd 2/Top 50 kid and definitely somebody that I'd expect BB/NC to be interested in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's alive!

[/QUOTE]

haha I am alive lol been a long year, but can't wait to get back into it.  He could test off the charts which will put him way out of reach but hope he's available.

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya... hope you can post more... we need to amp up the draft talk volume!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They're going to have to draft a QB. Brady will turn 37 next year. I like the Aaron Rodgers approach:

• Draft a talented college QB from a questionable program (Jeff Tedford) that produced the likes of Kyle Boller, Alex Smith, and David Carr.
    • Let him hold the clipboard for 3 seasons, unlearning and relearning the QB position during this time.
    • Profit.

The longer the Pats put off drafting a QB, the more difficult it will be to settle on one in the future. Sadly, BB's track record on drafted QBs (beyond Brady), is poor at best.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most are on board would agree with the idea of targeting a TB replacement sooner than later and I like the idea of letting him learn under TB for at least a couple years.  Mallet may be that guy, but I have my reservations... he just hasn't show much improvement, IMO, during his time here... albeit, in limited PT.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Profit.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most are on board would agree with the idea of targeting a TB replacement sooner than later and I like the idea of letting him learn under TB for at least a couple years.  Mallet may be that guy, but I have my reservations... he just hasn't show much improvement, IMO, during his time here... albeit, in limited PT.

[/QUOTE]

No knock on Mallett but I do like the idea of BB hedging. Look where the team is now after taking two TEs one year and two RBs another.

I also like taking a shot at a draft class' position of strength. I believe QB is that for 2014. Mallett may turn out to be good, but there is also a good chance that one the QBs coming out is an upgrade over Mallett... or at least push him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

NIn response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Below is my current Rd 1 watch list... certainly want to see more tape on all, and the list is fluid, but I think all have the potential to work their way into the late Day 1, early Day 2 (Top 40 or so) range.  

At this point, I'd like to see them add depth/talent to the trenches, so I'm focused heavily on the OL/DL at this point, though I think they could also address the secondary, QB or LB at some point.  This also projects as a talented/deep draft for WR, though I'd rather see them add a veteran.

Offensive:

OG/OT Zack Martin- ND

OG/OT David Yankey- Stanford

OG- Gabe Jackson- MSU

QB- Tajh Boyd- Clemson

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

QB- Derek Carr- Fresno State

Defensive:

CB Bradley Roby- OSU

CB/S Antone Exum- VT

DT- Timmy Jerigan- FSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Anthony Johnson- LSU

DT- Ra'Shede Hageman- Minnesota

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

DE/OLB- Adrian Hubbard- Alabama

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee

[/QUOTE]

How many DTs do you think gets taken before NWE picks? With the number of QBs that I am thinking gets taken, I am guessing no more than 3, possibly 2. Could it play out this way?

Top DT picked: Nix

2nd DT picked: Hageman (assuming he lights it up in the combine)

NWE picks Stephon Tuitt

That would be awesome.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NIn response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Below is my current Rd 1 watch list... certainly want to see more tape on all, and the list is fluid, but I think all have the potential to work their way into the late Day 1, early Day 2 (Top 40 or so) range.  

At this point, I'd like to see them add depth/talent to the trenches, so I'm focused heavily on the OL/DL at this point, though I think they could also address the secondary, QB or LB at some point.  This also projects as a talented/deep draft for WR, though I'd rather see them add a veteran.

Offensive:

OG/OT Zack Martin- ND

OG/OT David Yankey- Stanford

OG- Gabe Jackson- MSU

QB- Tajh Boyd- Clemson

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

QB- Derek Carr- Fresno State

Defensive:

CB Bradley Roby- OSU

CB/S Antone Exum- VT

DT- Timmy Jerigan- FSU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Anthony Johnson- LSU

DT- Ra'Shede Hageman- Minnesota

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

DE/OLB- Adrian Hubbard- Alabama

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee

[/QUOTE]

How many DTs do you think gets taken before NWE picks? With the number of QBs that I am thinking gets taken, I am guessing no more than 3, possibly 2. Could it play out this way?

Top DT picked: Nix

2nd DT picked: Hageman (assuming he lights it up in the combine)

NWE picks Stephon Tuitt

That would be awesome.

[/QUOTE]

I'd put Tuitt #2 on the list, I don't see how a team could pass him over for Hageman... but that's just me, ha.  But you're right, landing Tuitt would be absolutely whacky.

I think you're in the ballpark, 2-3 is a fair projection.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Not sure if someone posted this, but I thought I would just pass it a long.  

New England Patriots

Biggest area of need: Defensive tackle

Perennial Pro Bowler Vince Wilfork is 32 and was knocked out for the season in Week 4 with a torn Achilles. Fellow veteran Tommy Kelly, the team's other big body in the middle, turns 33 next month. The Patriots haven't drafted a big defensive tackle since the 2010 seventh round, and it makes sense to think they will look to feed that pipeline in 2013. While there is solid young depth with Joe Vellano (undrafted in 2013) and Chris Jones (claimed on waivers in 2013), the best place to find a franchise-type difference-maker at the hard-to-fill position is early in the draft, because those types of players are rare.

-- Mike Reiss

Top prospects:
    Louis Nix III, Notre Dame  |  Timmy Jernigan, FSU  |  Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota

Scouts evaluations: Nix III Insider  |  Jernigan Insider |  Hageman Insider

Draft analysis: Patriots defensive tackles come in all shapes and sizes these days, from 285-pound Vellano to 325-pound Wilfork, so I don't think there's a certain prototype they need to find. Nix III and Jernigan are the top prospects at the position, with Jernigan being the better fit, but it's uncertain if either will be around when the Pats are drafting. That's why Hageman could be a good option. He has impressive athletic ability for his size, and has been very productive for the Gophers this season.

-- Todd McShay

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles is expected to enter the 2014 draft... I like this kid at some point on Day 2.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9937254/south-carolina-gamecocks-dt-kelcy-quarles-enter-nfl-draft-father-says

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure if someone posted this, but I thought I would just pass it a long.  

New England Patriots

Biggest area of need: Defensive tackle

Perennial Pro Bowler Vince Wilfork is 32 and was knocked out for the season in Week 4 with a torn Achilles. Fellow veteran Tommy Kelly, the team's other big body in the middle, turns 33 next month. The Patriots haven't drafted a big defensive tackle since the 2010 seventh round, and it makes sense to think they will look to feed that pipeline in 2013. While there is solid young depth with Joe Vellano (undrafted in 2013) and Chris Jones (claimed on waivers in 2013), the best place to find a franchise-type difference-maker at the hard-to-fill position is early in the draft, because those types of players are rare.

-- Mike Reiss

Top prospects:
    Louis Nix III, Notre Dame  |  Timmy Jernigan, FSU  |  Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota

Scouts evaluations: Nix III Insider  |  Jernigan Insider |  Hageman Insider

Draft analysis: Patriots defensive tackles come in all shapes and sizes these days, from 285-pound Vellano to 325-pound Wilfork, so I don't think there's a certain prototype they need to find. Nix III and Jernigan are the top prospects at the position, with Jernigan being the better fit, but it's uncertain if either will be around when the Pats are drafting. That's why Hageman could be a good option. He has impressive athletic ability for his size, and has been very productive for the Gophers this season.

-- Todd McShay

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting... def have interest in all (3), though I see almost zero shot that Nix III is available in the bottom quarter of Rd 1.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Looks like South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles is expected to enter the 2014 draft... I like this kid at some point on Day 2.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9937254/south-carolina-gamecocks-dt-kelcy-quarles-enter-nfl-draft-father-says

[/QUOTE]

Great news for the Pats. The more quality DTs declare, the higher the chance that NWE is in position to get one.

Definitely someone to consider. For people who like DTs who get to the QB (vs the NT who draws double teams and plugs holes), this would be a huge upgrade to anyone on the team right now. Put him next to Jones and the Pats D could become fun to watch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think there's a pretty good chance right now. He's projected anywhere from late 1st to early 3rd right now. I expect him to be in the mid 1st to mid 2nd range by the end of the year. The thing is he's had some inconsistency. If he were a consistent player I could see him taking a Watt type of rise