***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Here is a sleeper.  Looks around 3rd-4th round pick up. Speed may push him to S or sub packages.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1302110/highlights/87556242

Pierre Desir

Position: Cornerback
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 206
    Class: Senior
    Hometown: St. Charles, Mo.
    High School: Francis Howell Central

Lindenwood:
    2012- AFCA All-American … the first Lindenwood defensive player to earn AFCA All-American honors and the first Lindenwood player to earn that award at the NCAA Division II level … named a second-team All-American by D2Football.com … first-team Don Hansen All-Super Region Three selection … first-team All-MIAA … voted the team’s Defensive Player of the Year … finished second among all levels of NCAA football with nine interceptions … tied for the NCAA Division II lead with 18 passes defended … led the MIAA in both interceptions and passes defended… tied for the sixth-most interceptions in a single season in MIAA history … became just the sixth player in MIAA history to collect over 20 interceptions in a career … set Lindenwood’s single-season interceptions record … started all 12 games … finished seventh on the team with 60 tackles and was fifth with 39 solo tackles … also had 2.5 tackles for loss and one sack … collected 83 interception return yards … tied the school’s single-game interception record of two interceptions three times during the year with multiple interceptions against Southwest Baptist, Fort Hays State, and Missouri Southern … had at least one pass defended in 10 of the team’s 12 games … returned an interception for a 51-yard touchdown against Southwest Baptist … sealed the Glenville State contest with an interception on the Lindenwood 23-yard line with 1:13 remaining in the game … intercepted a potential game-winning touchdown pass in the endzone with 1:17 left in the fourth quarter against Fort Hays State … had three passes defended against Central Missouri and Truman State … had two pass breakups in three games against Central Missouri, Truman State, and Winona State … had a team-high 11 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss against Glenville State … recorded his sack versus Nebraska-Kearney … recorded five tackles and two pass breakups in the postseason Mineral Water Bowl … had seven or more tackles in five games … had five interceptions on third or fourth-down plays, and had two pass breakups on fourth-down passes … named the MIAA Defensive Player of the Week for the Glenville State contest … named the team’s Defensive Player of the Game five times for the Southwest Baptist, Glenville State, Nebraska-Kearney, Fort Hays State, and Missouri Southern games ... named to the MIAA Academic Honor Roll.

Prior to Lindenwood:
    Attended Washburn University for three years and lettered in football for two seasons ... ranks third all-time at the school with 12 career interceptions ... second-team all-MIAA in 2010 ... recorded 46 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, five interceptions, one fumble recovery, and one forced fumble ... second-team All-American and first-team all-MIAA as a freshman ... led the conference with seven interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown ... also recorded 33 tackles, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery ... averaged 23.2 yards per kickoff returns for his career ... redshirted the 2008 season.

High School:
    An all-state selection at defensive back ... first-team all-league during his junior and senior seasons ... an all-metro selection ... named special teams player of the year as a senior ... averaged 37.8 yards per kickoff return and 8.9 yards per punt return that year ... named No. 17 in the nation by CSTV's Tom Lemming in the "athlete" position rankings.

Personal:
    The son of Marie and Wilfrid Desir ... has four siblings, Myriam, Jeff, Jim, and Chris ... a secondary education/history major.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It'll be interesting to see if ND Jr TE Troy Niklas (6-7 270 pounds of granite) declares... if he did, he'd immediately jump to the top of my TE board... kid is very athletic, good ball skill/hands, can threaten the seem and make plays down the field... he also plays physical and can line up flexed or in line.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Irish DT may need knee surgery ... There are reports that Notre Dame DT Louis Nix could require surgery at some point to deal with tendonitis in one of his knees. Nix, a top 10-15 prospect for the upcoming draft, has missed the last two games because of knee issues. Nix also has a small MCL tear, but that injury is not considered to be serious. Not clear yet whether the surgery, which one would expect to come at the end of the season, will impact Nix's prepfor the draft; also no real way to tell whether the issue will affect his ulimate grade, however, it can hardly help.                                                                              http://www.gbnreport.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

An intriguing CB/S prospect to keep an eye on is Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3 220) from Nebraska.  He moved from WR to CB in 2011, so he's still relatively new to the position, but he's an athletic kid with good play speed and elite size for the position (whether it be CB or S).  I look forward to watching more film on this kid to get a better feel for his game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Found my first "pop" player of the year.  Was watching tape of Oklahoma St CB Justin Gilbert (#4) and noticed that #7 kept popping up, so I wanted to give him a closer look.

I was happy with what I saw.  #7 is their senior S Shamiel Gary (6-0 210) and transfer from Wyoming that has started for them the past (2) seasons.  I've watched a lot of safety tape in the past couple months and I think this kid might be one of the best that I've seen in this class... which says a lot considering he's currently projected as a Rd 7/URFA type.  He has very good read/react, consistently diagnosing and closing quickly on passes and has the awareness and ball skills to make plays on the football (9 PD this season).  He's prob a 4.55-4.6 kid but shows good fluidity in coverage, but his instincts allow him to get to the ball quickly and he's often in the back pocket of his man. 

He's a kid that could cause Patriots Nation to melt down if selected on Day 2 of the draft (similar to Wilson and Harmon), but I think the pick would be warranted.  Really like this kids game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Everyone seems to think the Patriots will draft the Rutgers WR Coleman, but if Sammy Watkins comes out and the Patriots are drafting WR's again this year he's the one I would target. The guy I'd like them to draft most will not be availible when they select (in the second round) D.J.Mosely, he's an absolute beast.

Also I know everyone thinks of Vrabel when they think of Ohio State connections but their HC is Urban Myers and he an BB are fishing buddies. They still have Ferentz in Iowa, Al Golden is working in Miami, Groh is still coaching somewhere's in the NCAA, Charlie Weiss is at one of the Kansas schools,  and of course there is O'Brien at PSU. Didn't one of Ferentz's kids take an HC job somewhere? Also he still has the SEC pretty locked up with both Saban and Miles at their respective schools. Must be nice to have insider info from those two guys.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Found my first "pop" player of the year.  Was watching tape of Oklahoma St CB Justin Gilbert (#4) and noticed that #7 kept popping up, so I wanted to give him a closer look.

I was happy with what I saw.  #7 is their senior S Shamiel Gary (6-0 210) and transfer from Wyoming that has started for them the past (2) seasons.  I've watched a lot of safety tape in the past couple months and I think this kid might be one of the best that I've seen in this class... which says a lot considering he's currently projected as a Rd 7/URFA type.  He has very good read/react, consistently diagnosing and closing quickly on passes and has the awareness and ball skills to make plays on the football (9 PD this season).  He's prob a 4.55-4.6 kid but shows good fluidity in coverage, but his instincts allow him to get to the ball quickly and he's often in the back pocket of his man. 

He's a kid that could cause Patriots Nation to melt down if selected on Day 2 of the draft (similar to Wilson and Harmon), but I think the pick would be warranted.  Really like this kids game.

[/QUOTE]

Good pick MB.  He led his team last year with 59 tackles.    He hits really hard and has good instincts.  Film I watched showed that he was always around the ball, covering well or hitting hard.  Not sure where he will go.  Looks like late rds for now, but as the season winds down there is always a chance he will rise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good pick MB.  He led his team last year with 59 tackles.    He hits really hard and has good instincts.  Film I watched showed that he was always around the ball, covering well or hitting hard.  Not sure where he will go.  Looks like late rds for now, but as the season winds down there is always a chance he will rise.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man.  After watching tape, it's amazing how many tackles are missed because kids either go for the knockout blow or just lunge... I'm not sure there's anything that angers me more of a football field than missed tackles... just drives me fackin bonkers! haha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

What is the hype over Hageman all about? Can someone tell me which games I could see him play well?

I have seen three MIN games (most recently, I have seen the first half of their Penn St game, and will watch the second half tonight), and I am not seeing in his play a DT that should be picked in the first 25. On the games I watched, he did not show the consistent impact that recent DTs such as J Jenkins, Lotulelei, Richardson, etc. made last year. I don't even think he makes as much impact as Wilkerson did in college.

He's a good looking big kid (a long 310+), who looks athletic, but I am not seeing it translate at the LOS.

I am wondering if people are just going by what other people say about him. Or could the teams I saw them play simply have ran their plays away from him?

I am not saying he should not be picked, I just think he seems a bit overrated, based on the games I have seen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is the hype over Hageman all about? Can someone tell me which games I could see him play well?

I have seen three MIN games (most recently, I have seen the first half of their Penn St game, and will watch the second half tonight), and I am not seeing in his play a DT that should be picked in the first 25. On the games I watched, he did not show the consistent impact that recent DTs such as J Jenkins, Lotulelei, Richardson, etc. made last year. I don't even think he makes as much impact as Wilkerson did in college.

He's a good looking big kid (a long 310+), who looks athletic, but I am not seeing it translate at the LOS.

I am wondering if people are just going by what other people say about him. Or could the teams I saw them play simply have ran their plays away from him?

I am not saying he should not be picked, I just think he seems a bit overrated, based on the games I have seen.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback... I haven't had a chance to watch him much, but will keep this in mind when I do. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback... I haven't had a chance to watch him much, but will keep this in mind when I do. 

[/QUOTE]

It's all in the spirit of learning what what others are seeing.

I am hoping someone is able to send me feedback on my first two questions. Thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am hoping someone is able to send me feedback on my first two questions. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I'll reserve full judgement until I can see more 2013 tape (have only seen him vs. UNLV), but I did watch some 2012 tape as well (vs. Michigan and Wisconsin)... and as you mention, he's very inconsistent (effort isn't always there).  It seems he's just as likely to be handled one on one and driven off the LOS by an OG as he is to split a double and drop a back for no gain or push the pocket from the inside.  He flashes definite first round talent, but remains very raw, IMO... though he is new to the position.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Seattle,

I also like what I've read about Minnesota CB/S Brock Vereen (6-0 202).  Looks like a versatile, cerebral kid that plays with good physicality, speed and quickness.

He's #21 on their defense... keep any eye on him when you're watching more Hageman tape.

Let me know that you think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Seattle,

I also like what I've read about Minnesota CB/S Brock Vereen (6-0 202).  Looks like a versatile, cerebral kid that plays with good physicality, speed and quickness.

He's #21 on their defense... keep any eye on him when you're watching more Hageman tape.

Let me know that you think.

[/QUOTE]

I had typed my assessment, but had to leave the computer before I added the post. Then my son decided to use my computer, clicked the home icon and wiped out what I typed, before I got back to it. Dang.

Anyway, I checked out Vereen while I continued to watch the second half. I am mixed about him.

I saw him help defend a screen pass by PSU. He got around outside the receiver who was blocking, forcing the receiver who caught the ball to cut inside. Vereen got a hand on the receiver, slowing him enough for Vereen's teammate to finish the tackle.

A few minutes later, I saw him defend a long pass attempt to a receiver outside. He stayed with the receiver stride for stride and located the ball in time to disrupt the catch.

He really does an excellent job keeping in stride withr eceivers outside. However, he has the bad habit of not looking back to locate the ball. Heck he looked like a typical Pats CB. He got away with it once, but got called for a PI on the second time.

On the DTs... I thought Daquan Jones played better than Hageman on this game. Jones was more solid and consistent against the run. And I saw him penetrate to the backfield a couple of times. I did not see Hageman do that. Also, in teh second half, Hagemn was off the field a lot.

The best player on the field was Allen Robinson. The kid IMO is a first round pick, at least a high second. Gets open a lot and has decent YAC ability.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll reserve full judgement until I can see more 2013 tape (have only seen him vs. UNLV), but I did watch some 2012 tape as well (vs. Michigan and Wisconsin)... and as you mention, he's very inconsistent (effort isn't always there).  It seems he's just as likely to be handled one on one and driven off the LOS by an OG as he is to split a double and drop a back for no loss or push the pocket from the inside.  He flashes definite first round talent, but remains very raw, IMO... though he is new to the position.  

[/QUOTE]

You have to watch a lot of his games, he's only on his 3rd year playing DT.  He was recruited as a TE I believe.  He does have games where he is not a stand out but projections I guess we can say now, with him gaining experience and his God given athletisism he could be a stud.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What you guys think of Deandre Coleman 6'5" 320, don't get to see much of Cal in the east coast so not watch much of him except for what I have seen on game day ect.

Seems like an interesting option in mid rounds with good fit as an understudy for VW.  Tough to grade him because of Cal's D, looks like more of a run stuffer than pass rusher

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What you guys think of Deandre Coleman 6'5" 320, don't get to see much of Cal in the east coast so not watch much of him except for what I have seen on game day ect.

Seems like an interesting option in mid rounds with good fit as an understudy for VW.  Tough to grade him because of Cal's D, looks like more of a run stuffer than pass rusher

[/QUOTE]

Just checked him out:

On the positive side, he generally fires off the snap, plays with good leverage and is strong at the POA, with the ability to eat a double.

On the negative size, he has limited foot speed and lateral movement ability, doesn't show a ton of awareness and doesn't show much ability as a pass rusher.

Looks like a Day 3, 2-down space eater to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just checked him out:

On the positive side, he generally fires off the snap, plays with good leverage and is strong at the POA, with the ability to eat a double.

On the negative size, he has limited foot speed and lateral movement ability, doesn't show a ton of awareness and doesn't show much ability as a pass rusher.

[/QUOTE]

Would be interesting to see him in another type D, he plays on the edge now in a 34 wonder how he would do as DT in 43.  he's quick of the snap and can push OL back.  Could be interesting prospect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just checked him out:

[/QUOTE]

Would be interesting to see him in another type D, he plays on the edge now in a 34 wonder how he would do as DT in 43.  he's quick of the snap and can push OL back.  Could be interesting prospect.

[/QUOTE]

Believe he was almost exclusively a 43 DT in the tape that I saw... maybe a snap or two as a 34 NG.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You have to watch a lot of his games, he's only on his 3rd year playing DT.  He was recruited as a TE I believe.  He does have games where he is not a stand out but projections I guess we can say now, with him gaining experience and his God given athletisism he could be a stud.  

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info, 7393. That actually explains a heck of a lot of what I saw in his game.

He really looked good chasing down RBs who breakthrough to the MIN secondary or try to turn around the edge. He runs really well for a 300 lb kid. His athleticism is something that is hard to miss, when you watch his game.

His lack of DT experience explains why he is unable to create plays. Often he gets stumped by a single blocker. He has not mastered DT skills. There are times when I though he looked like he gave up after his first effort, and then there were a couple of times when he kept going for practically a coverage sack.

If that is the case, you would be drafting him purely for potential/upside, based on the athleticism he has shown.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have seen a couple of CAL games. I actually think he is one of the underrated DTs.

He is putting up decent numbers. I believe he has 7 TFLs. The only high profile DTs with more are Hageman (9), DaQuan Jones (9.5) and Kelcy Quarles (11). He could have better if there is someone else on the Cal DL that could draw some attention away from him.

He would be a good to great pick at no higher than the 3rd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Has anyone here seen RYAN CARRETHERS of Arkansas State?

He's the DT with the most tackles (63), six of them for loss. He has 3.5 sacks, which is not bad for a DT.

6'5", 309.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I have him on my intial lists.  I need more video. Unfortunately, I do not get many games where I am located. I really want a good DT in this draft.

Here is some info:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ryan-carrethers/

10/28/13 - WEEK 9 SUN BELT DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Ryan Carrethers (Arkansas State, Sr., DL)...Arkansas State senior nose tackle Ryan Carrethers recorded the most tackles in the nation this season by a defensive lineman with a game-high 16 during the Red Wolves game against Louisiana-Lafayette. Not only were his 16 tackles a game high, they were also a career high and tied the most by a Sun Belt Conference player this season.

The last time an A-State player posted 16 or more tackles was Oct. 13, 2012, when former linebacker Nathan Herrold recorded 17 against South Alabama. Carrethers has now posted double-figure tackles in three career games. His 16 tackles against the Ragin’ Cajuns pushed his season total to 54, which ranks sixth in the Sun Belt Conference and first among all defensive linemen in the league. - Sun Belt football

Best Interior Defensive Linemen in the 2014 NFL Draft By  Jeremy Dawson on November 03, 2013 Best Interior Defensive Linemen in the 2014 NFL Draft

10. Jay Bromley, Syracuse- 6’4", 285 lbs.

This list kicks off with a name you may not have heard of. You may not see him on any other top-10 lists either, but the scouts are sorely mistaken about this kid. Some people just have a will do defeat the odds, and I am not about to bet against this kid. Bromley’s mother was a drug addict and his father was in prison for murder. He was raised by his aunt and uncle. He did not play football until he got to high school. He did not get to start for his high school’s defense until the end of his junior year. He received no scholarships while attending high school. Yet after he got a shot at Syracuse he has played in more than 10 games every season. He will defeat the odds and make it in the NFL because, well, that is just what he does.

9. Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State- 6’2", 330 lbs.

Carrethers is a fifth-year senior who, despite being on and off from game to game, refuses to not be noticed. On October 28th, the 330-pound defensive lineman racked up 16 tackles in one game. In case you need me to make sense of that for you here is the breakdown- it does not make sense. 16 tackles for an interior lineman is an astronomical number. His quickness for his size will push him up draft boards and make him a solid second day draft prospect.

8. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee- 6’8", 351 lbs.

McCullers is one of those guys who is just fun to watch. The play doesn’t even have to be going on for it to be fun either; this guy is fun to just look at. He is 351 lbs. which is usually a red flag for NFL teams, but at 6’8" it works out for him and he isn’t slow by any means. He would have been ranked higher, but I haven’t seen much development from him in the last two seasons. Still, a solid prospect for a 3-4 defense.

7. DaQuan Jones, Penn State- 6’3", 318 lbs.

Jones is another player who has moved up draft boards this year. A poor outing against Ohio State a week ago however put a bit of a stop to his rise. He applies good pressure and is one of the better tacklers in this class of interior defensive lineman.

6. Anthony Johnson, LSU- 6’3", 294 lbs.

Johnson is one of the best athlete’s at the defensive tackle position. He also seems to give up on a few plays though and he also lacks the required hand skills for a strong NFL defensive lineman. He is losing weight every year as well which can be cause for concern for NFL teams.

TOP 5

5. Dominique Easley, Florida- 6’2", 285 lbs.

I almost did not even want to put Easley on this list, purely for the fact that I hate talking about it. So let us just get this out of the way right now. The guy is hurt. He tore his right ACL and Meniscus this season and is out for the remainder of it. He overcame the left knee, so he should overcome the right one just fine as well. So let’s put that behind us. Now for the gameplay. He is an extremely unique defensive tackle and that is both his strength and his weakness. He is deceptively strong and causes constant penetration.

Extremely high energy play, he is constantly moving along the line and uses his hands and different athletic moves during the plays and doesn’t slow down all game. His over energetic self also causes him to often lose a play, he will get himself in the backfield with a few fancy moves, when the running back has already passed him. He is a disruptive and fun defensive player though and with proper coaching could become special. Let’s all just hope for a speedy recovery for now.

4. Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota- 6’6", 311 lbs.

Hageman is a very interesting prospect to watch. One of the best instinctive players in college football. He had a lot of sacks during his junior year but only has two so far this season. The crazy thing about that is, his draft stock has actually increased. Although he hasn’t made his presence felt in the backfield, there is no question that every QB is looking out for him on every play. He has six pass deflections at the line and an interception. He Stands 6’6" and has huge hands to disrupt plays with. One thing that NFL scouts love to see is play recognition, and this is where Hageman shines. He is rapidly moving up draft boards and with a strong finish to the season, Ra’Shede Hageman can solidify himself as a first round pick.

3. Will Sutton, Arizona State- 6’1", 305 lbs.

Sutton had 13 sacks in 2012 and was the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year. There have been some worries about his weight this year however. He appeared thinner and more explosive a season ago. Now that he’s added bad weight, he hasn’t found his way around his blocker(s) as smoothly or as often. Despite his awkward frame though, Sutton has one of the best motors and attitudes of any interior defensive lineman. He is a smart kid and the QB threatening skill set that he possess does come in handy in today’s NFL. I expect him to get in much better shape this offseason while training for the NFL Draft. With a good crop of QB’s coming in this class, defensive minded teams will give a player like Sutton a hard look.

2. Timmy Jernigan, Florida State- 6’2", 292 lbs.

The best run stuffer in the draft comes in one of the smaller interior lineman prospects. Explosive hands and amazing tackling is what makes him such a good prospect. I feel like despite his very impressive play, he has been over looked. There is no reason to overlook this prospect. He is one of the best block shedders in the country. As far as flaws, Jernigan has trouble pushing offensive lineman forward, most of his penetration comes from tossing the lineman aside. He should be a mid-to-late first round pick.

1. Louis Nix III, Notre Dame- 6’2", 342 lbs.

Nix is the best defensive tackle prospect in the 2014 NFL draft. He has extremely rare burst off of the ball and is very strong. You will not see him slow down on a play regardless if the play appears to be dead which is very important. Nix is also very versatile despite being a hefty 342 lbs. He can play, and be very productive in either a 3-4 or 4-3. He is not strictly a nose tackle. If there is one negative you could take away from Louis Nix it would be his angles. He sometimes loses the play and is left chasing back for it. The fact that a 342 pound man is chasing after plays may tell you more good things then bad about him. Louis Nix III will be a first round pick, potentially top ten, and he will be a day one starter. Expect big things from him at the next level.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

I have him on my intial lists.  I need more video. Unfortunately, I do not get many games where I am located. I really want a good DT in this draft.

Here is some info:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ryan-carrethers/

10/28/13 - WEEK 9 SUN BELT DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Ryan Carrethers (Arkansas State, Sr., DL)...Arkansas State senior nose tackle Ryan Carrethers recorded the most tackles in the nation this season by a defensive lineman with a game-high 16 during the Red Wolves game against Louisiana-Lafayette. Not only were his 16 tackles a game high, they were also a career high and tied the most by a Sun Belt Conference player this season.

The last time an A-State player posted 16 or more tackles was Oct. 13, 2012, when former linebacker Nathan Herrold recorded 17 against South Alabama. Carrethers has now posted double-figure tackles in three career games. His 16 tackles against the Ragin’ Cajuns pushed his season total to 54, which ranks sixth in the Sun Belt Conference and first among all defensive linemen in the league. - Sun Belt football

Best Interior Defensive Linemen in the 2014 NFL Draft By  Jeremy Dawson on November 03, 2013 Best Interior Defensive Linemen in the 2014 NFL Draft

This list kicks off with a name you may not have heard of. You may not see him on any other top-10 lists either, but the scouts are sorely mistaken about this kid. Some people just have a will do defeat the odds, and I am not about to bet against this kid. Bromley’s mother was a drug addict and his father was in prison for murder. He was raised by his aunt and uncle. He did not play football until he got to high school. He did not get to start for his high school’s defense until the end of his junior year. He received no scholarships while attending high school. Yet after he got a shot at Syracuse he has played in more than 10 games every season. He will defeat the odds and make it in the NFL because, well, that is just what he does.

Carrethers is a fifth-year senior who, despite being on and off from game to game, refuses to not be noticed. On October 28th, the 330-pound defensive lineman racked up 16 tackles in one game. In case you need me to make sense of that for you here is the breakdown- it does not make sense. 16 tackles for an interior lineman is an astronomical number. His quickness for his size will push him up draft boards and make him a solid second day draft prospect.

McCullers is one of those guys who is just fun to watch. The play doesn’t even have to be going on for it to be fun either; this guy is fun to just look at. He is 351 lbs. which is usually a red flag for NFL teams, but at 6’8" it works out for him and he isn’t slow by any means. He would have been ranked higher, but I haven’t seen much development from him in the last two seasons. Still, a solid prospect for a 3-4 defense.

Jones is another player who has moved up draft boards this year. A poor outing against Ohio State a week ago however put a bit of a stop to his rise. He applies good pressure and is one of the better tacklers in this class of interior defensive lineman.

Johnson is one of the best athlete’s at the defensive tackle position. He also seems to give up on a few plays though and he also lacks the required hand skills for a strong NFL defensive lineman. He is losing weight every year as well which can be cause for concern for NFL teams.

TOP 5

I almost did not even want to put Easley on this list, purely for the fact that I hate talking about it. So let us just get this out of the way right now. The guy is hurt. He tore his right ACL and Meniscus this season and is out for the remainder of it. He overcame the left knee, so he should overcome the right one just fine as well. So let’s put that behind us. Now for the gameplay. He is an extremely unique defensive tackle and that is both his strength and his weakness. He is deceptively strong and causes constant penetration.

Extremely high energy play, he is constantly moving along the line and uses his hands and different athletic moves during the plays and doesn’t slow down all game. His over energetic self also causes him to often lose a play, he will get himself in the backfield with a few fancy moves, when the running back has already passed him. He is a disruptive and fun defensive player though and with proper coaching could become special. Let’s all just hope for a speedy recovery for now.

Hageman is a very interesting prospect to watch. One of the best instinctive players in college football. He had a lot of sacks during his junior year but only has two so far this season. The crazy thing about that is, his draft stock has actually increased. Although he hasn’t made his presence felt in the backfield, there is no question that every QB is looking out for him on every play. He has six pass deflections at the line and an interception. He Stands 6’6" and has huge hands to disrupt plays with. One thing that NFL scouts love to see is play recognition, and this is where Hageman shines. He is rapidly moving up draft boards and with a strong finish to the season, Ra’Shede Hageman can solidify himself as a first round pick.

3. Will Sutton, Arizona State- 6’1", 305 lbs.

Sutton had 13 sacks in 2012 and was the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year. There have been some worries about his weight this year however. He appeared thinner and more explosive a season ago. Now that he’s added bad weight, he hasn’t found his way around his blocker(s) as smoothly or as often. Despite his awkward frame though, Sutton has one of the best motors and attitudes of any interior defensive lineman. He is a smart kid and the QB threatening skill set that he possess does come in handy in today’s NFL. I expect him to get in much better shape this offseason while training for the NFL Draft. With a good crop of QB’s coming in this class, defensive minded teams will give a player like Sutton a hard look.

The best run stuffer in the draft comes in one of the smaller interior lineman prospects. Explosive hands and amazing tackling is what makes him such a good prospect. I feel like despite his very impressive play, he has been over looked. There is no reason to overlook this prospect. He is one of the best block shedders in the country. As far as flaws, Jernigan has trouble pushing offensive lineman forward, most of his penetration comes from tossing the lineman aside. He should be a mid-to-late first round pick.

Nix is the best defensive tackle prospect in the 2014 NFL draft. He has extremely rare burst off of the ball and is very strong. You will not see him slow down on a play regardless if the play appears to be dead which is very important. Nix is also very versatile despite being a hefty 342 lbs. He can play, and be very productive in either a 3-4 or 4-3. He is not strictly a nose tackle. If there is one negative you could take away from Louis Nix it would be his angles. He sometimes loses the play and is left chasing back for it. The fact that a 342 pound man is chasing after plays may tell you more good things then bad about him. Louis Nix III will be a first round pick, potentially top ten, and he will be a day one starter. Expect big things from him at the next level.

[/QUOTE]

I've cooled on Sutton after watching him get his a55 handed to him by David Yankey/Stanford and he really didn't do anything vs. Notre Dame either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

3. Will Sutton, Arizona State- 6’1", 305 lbs.

[/QUOTE]

JJ, thank your posting that. I too want the Pats to start the 2014 season with DT upgrades. I am hoping they get at least one of those upgrades in the draft.

That said, IMO, after Nix, the talent drops off dramatically. I actually think that of the DTs in this class, only Nix, warrants a top 20 grade. Everyone else is one dimensional and does not necessarily excel on that one dimension. One could argue the Jernigan might be a second DT he might warrant a top 20.

Given, these DTs have a lot of questions marks for me, I'd like the Pats to pick one in the second round and another on the third day as a hedge.

Let me now comment on the above 10.

NIX: No question si the best DT on the 2014 draft class. With no trades, will be out of the Pats' range. What it will take to trade up to a spot for this guy will be too rich for my taste.

JERNIGAN: Not necessarily my type of sub-300 lb DT. For that size, I like DTs who can penetrate to create pass pressure - normally has a relentless motor. Watt and Fairley on the last year of their respective careers fit that model. Jernigan does not fit that model. He is however, as the writer said, an excellent run stuffer. To me he warrants consideration in bottom 8 of the first round, but would also ahve to compare with other options available on the board.

SUTTON: I definitely would not touch in the first round. I am not sure if he's even a second round kid. Another kid who IMO is more of a run defender than a pass pressure guy. Although I have seen him pressure the QB every now and then. On a good day, he and Easley look the same to me.

HAGEMAN: IMO overrated relative to what he's done this year. I am not saying the Pats should not take him. I am just saying he is not worth a mid-first, where I see mocked. He's just raw. He has very good looking physique (looks more like a TE than a DT) and is very athletic. I also anticipate him to be the best DT at the combine. It just has not translated into performance IMO. He's being mocked so high based on potential. However, unlike Ansah and Jordan last year, he did not show as much on the field this year. He could still prove me wrong in the remaining portion of the season.

EASLEY: Not much comment. It is hard to tell what he'll be like when he comes back from injury. With the Pats' luck with the likes of Ras and Amendola, I'd prefer the Pats stay away from one who's blown out both knees.

JOHNSON: I have not watched my recordings of LSU. I might see the LSU-ALABAMA game this week. Til then, no comment.

JONES: One of the more underrated DTs in the class. I thought he played much better than Hageman during the PSU v MIN game. He seems to play more snaps per game than most DTs in college. It's translated on the field. He is among the top on tackles, among DTs. Not a flashy player, but definitely great against the run. May not be a sack machine, but pushes the pocket even when doubled.

McCULLERS: No earlier than early third round IMO. You really would be banking on his size trasnlating into somehting valauable in the NFL. His play has not been impressive. He just does not play as strong as his size would suggest.  In fact, Whenever I try to watch TEN, I find he's off the field a lot. IDK if it's because they havebetter players or he's just not fit enough. I can't imagine the strength issue is a physical thing. I think it's more a mental thing. Can that be fixed by the Pats?

CARRETHERS: I ahve not seen videos of the guy, but his stats has got my attention. His 16 tackles on one game is not a fluke. He's recorded 63 tackles, six for losses. For context, the other DTs I found with highest tackle numbers are Ferguson of LSU (42), Jones of PSU (41) and Massy of VT (41). Jernigan has 25. Hageman has 35. I have been wanting to see ARK ST games.

BROMLEY: A sack-leading 285 lb DT. Suggests serious skill/ technique. I have not seen him either, but his numbers make me want to see videos of SYR. He might be similar to Armstead, with less ehalth concerns.