***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to speedster81's comment:

[QUOTE]

I Like a lot of the names on the List. Kyle Van Noy is the guy I hope Bill moves Heaven and Earth to get. He can rush the passer extremely well and also looks fluid dropping in coverage. He is absolutely my favorite player in the draft.

My next favorite guy whom you dont have on your list is Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin. He runs like Jamal Charles from KC and is an even better player than Charles was in College. Home Run Threat who can run between the tackles and also bounce it outside. Needs some work in pass protection but his upside is so Sky High he merits a First Round Selection regardless.

Eric Ebron in the First and Austin Seferian Jenkins in the second would also be great picks. Both are Instant Mismatches albeit in different ways. Wondering why you dont have any of them in your List.

Lastly, Im not high on any DT's in the first or second rounds. Rookie DT's usually dont have an impact early on. I would rather go Free Agency and target a guy like Paul Soliai or Randy Starks who are both proven commodities.

Rd 1

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

CB- Justin Gilbert- Oklahoma State

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OG- David Yankey- Stanford

Rd 1-2

CB- Darqueze Dennard- Michigan State

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee

Rd 2

DT- Kelcy Quarles- South Carolina

ILB- Shayne Skov- Stanford

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

S- Craig Loston- LSU

S- Ed Reynolds- Stanford

OG- Anthony Steen- Alabama

Rd 2-3

DT- Dominique Easley- Florida

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

S- Antone Exum- VT

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

ILB- Yawin Smallwood- Uconn

Rd 3

WR- Jared Abbrederis- Wisconsin

QB- Aaron Murray- Georgia

DT- Danny Shelton- Washington

S- Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma State

CB/S- Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska

ILB- Chris Borland- Wisconsin

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

RB- Andre Williams- BC

RB- Carlos Hyde- OSU

RB- Devonte Freeman- FSU

DL/OLB- Taylor Hart- Oregon

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

TE- Marcel Jensen- Fresno State

C/OG- Weston Richburg- Colorado State

Rd 4-7

TE- Arthur Lynch- Georgia

ILB- Max Bullough- Michigan State

S- Isaiah Lewis- Michigan State

CB- Ciante Evans- Nebraska

DT- Beau Allen- Wisconsin

DT- Bruce Gaston- Purdue

DT- Eathyn Manumaleuna- BYU

DT- Ken Bishop- NIU

RB- Tyler Gaffney- Stanford

OG- Kevin Danser- Stanford

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

QB- Kenny Guiton- OSU

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

CB- BJ Lowery- Iowa

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do get the future superstar vibe from Van Noy as well... the kinda kid that you look back on 5 years from now and say, why the heck did they pass on him?  Then again he may be gone before they select.

Gordon is a very good player, but he's also prob a Top 50 kid and I don't see BB targeting a back that high.

Ebron should be a Top 15-20 pick so I left him off the board for that reason... same reason's that I didn't include Nix III and Tuitt, etc.  I think Trent Murphy could eventually be out of range as well.

ASJ has the site and ability that you look for in a TE, but has off the field questions... in hindsight, he's prob a kid that I should still have on my board as someone to track up to draft day.

As far as Rd 1 goes... ND's Zack Martin is a kid that would prob generate groans from Patriots Nation as a boring pick, but he's as solid and consistent a player as there is in this class and would be an immediate upgrade to the OL.

Can't say I'm super high on any of the DT's on my board at this point.

[/QUOTE]

I agree about Zack Martin. If they stand pat, he is most likely the pick at the end of round one. However if they opted to move up then Van Noy is the guy. I really dont see him lasting past 20. I would be ok with Martin, followed by a trade up in the second for either Jace Amaro, Austin Seferian Jenkins or Melvin Gordon. But man oh man, I really want Van Noy :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]OB KYLE VAN NOY, BRIGHAM YOUNG

6’3” – 245 lbs. – 4.60e

STATISTICAL PROFILE:

2010: 36 – 7.5 – 2.0, 2 QBH, 2 FF, 1 FR (TD), 2 PD
    2011: 68 – 15.0 – 6.0, 10 QBH, 3 FF, 1 FR (TD), 3 PD, 3 INT, 1 K/P B
    2012: 52 – 22.0 – 13.0, 8 QBH, 6 FF, 5 PD, 2 INT (1 TD), 2 K/PB

OVERVIEW:

Worked his way into the rotation as a freshman, starting two games in total. Started more consistently as a sophomore, totaling eight of the thirteen contests in which he played. As a junior, broke out, being named to the AP All-America Third Team in his first season as a full-time starter, leading to being named to the Bednarik, Butkus, and Nagurski watch lists in 2013.

STRENGTHS:

•    Highly productive player with nearly three years of starting experience.
    •    Possesses an explosive first step when rushing opposing quarterbacks.
    •    Runs exceptionally well for his position, effective in backside pursuit.
    •    Athletic enough to assume man-coverage responsibilities on tight ends.
    •    Very rangy, high-motor player who makes plays on second effort.
    •    Has a few different rush moves, demonstrating a particularly nice swim.
    •    Added weight every year in college, beginning as a 219-lb. freshman.
    •    Could realistically fit at outside linebacker in either an even or odd front.
    •    Outstanding ball skills in coverage and in terms of stripping ballcarriers.
    •    Offers additional value on special teams blocking kicks and punts.

WEAKNESSES:

•    Combine weigh-in numbers may reveal inflated collegiate measurables.
    •    Looks very thin, will need to add lots of weight to play in an odd front.
    •    Not an ideal edge-setter ion the run game, more of a finesse player.
    •    Gets a little too aggressive at times and finds himself out of position.
    •    Takes wide angles in the run game, leaving his gap unaccounted for.
    •    Misses more tackles than he should, needs to break down more often.
    •    Arrested as a senior in high school for driving under the influence.

SUMMARY:

One of the most productive defenders in this year’s class, Van Noy makes plenty of plays, whether versus the run, as a pass rusher, in coverage, or on special teams, with impressive speed and explosiveness. He will need to add weight in the NFL and play with more discipline, but has the ability to develop into a quality starter in a three-or-four-man front. RD 1

http://draftexaminer.com/2013/11/07/ob-kyle-van-noy-brigham-young/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. Summarises Van Noy pretty well. I wouldnt play him as a 3-4 OLB initially, I envision him as a SLB in a 4-3 front and a pass rusher on 3rd down/passing situations much like Von Miller is used in Denver.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

He has excellent change of direction, good instincts and what I saw on film he seems react to the play early with success.  Not knowing his exact weight, I think does need to get stronger.  Would fit in well in NE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Van Noy seems interesting.

one guy I have been looking at as a late round prospect who should be picked much earlier if not for an injury is Spencer long, OG nebraska.  projected in the 7th round now but if not for a knee injury he would have been a 2nd round prospect similar to cannon.  

Still love Carlos Hyde and really want him to take ridleys place.  Much more sure handed and a big power hitter, can block and catch.

We also need a big Center so it would be nice to finally get a center who can hold back the huge DT's/NT's of the AFC east and top contenders with who we have seemed to struggle.  Perhaps a big centr such as Swanson from Arkansas would be a good addition. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

Do you still have a site?  Would love to move the thread to a place that's purely about Patriots football and draft talk.

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do and that certainly can be done if you want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Have you had a chance to watch Kyle Van Noy against Virginia? Even when he isnt rushing the passer, he is making great plays against the run. I would love to see a Linebacking Core of Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Jerod Mayo and Kyle Van Noy. So much Athleticism and potential play making ability there. Not high on Hightower and as much as I like Spikes I would rather they give the money to Talib and McCourty.

[/QUOTE]

No, I have not seen the Virginia game and I don't know if I have it on the DVR. 

Don't get me wrong. I like Van Noy a lot. I believe his best asset is his intelligence on the field.

I am only mixed about where I would take him. Based on the game I saw early in the year, he did not seem as engaged as he was late last year. On that game, he did not look like teh same guy I saw last year. I can't remember what it was I saw on that game, but I wondered whether he was going to be fast enough or strong enough to dominate in teh NFL the way he did towards the end of 2012. 

If he's back at where he was last year, which was my immediate thought after reading your quesiton of whether I have seen their Virgina game, then great. And I love someone's suggestion of using him like Miller. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Rd 1

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND ---> Yes

CB- Justin Gilbert- Oklahoma State  --->  YES

DE/OLB- Trent Murphy- Stanford ---> YES

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU ---> Mixed to yes (still hoping he looks as good at the season end as last eyar's season end)

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT ---> YES YES (And he may drop too)

OG- David Yankey- Stanford ---> YES YES

Rd 1-2

CB- Darqueze Dennard- Michigan State ---> More a mid second to me

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota ---> Will reserve judgement 'til I see my recording of the WIS v MIN game

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU ---> Maybe in the early second

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU ---> For a run stuffer, I'd rather take Allen in the third round

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU ---> I will have to see another OSU game

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee ---> Will have to see another TEN game

Rd 2

DT- Kelcy Quarles- South Carolina ---> Late second

ILB- Shayne Skov- Stanford ---> Looks really good but would like to see combine numbers first

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU ---> I like Jones in teh second, but I like Allen in teh third more

S- Craig Loston- LSU ---> YES

S- Ed Reynolds- Stanford ---> Late second

OG- Anthony Steen- Alabama ---> No opinion

Rd 2-3

DT- Dominique Easley- Florida ---> I have difficulty projecting him

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama ---> Underrated. IMO difficult tor esist in the late second.

S- Antone Exum- VT ---> Have not seen a V game to watch him; no opinion

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU ---> Have not seen him

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri ---> Have seen two Missouri game but to watch two tall receivers

ILB- Yawin Smallwood- Uconn ---> Have not seen him

Rd 3

WR- Jared Abbrederis- Wisconsin ---> Underrated. IMO worth a late second

QB- Aaron Murray- Georgia ---> Last game I have seen was vs. LSU. He seems to be dropping off; I want tos ee why

DT- Danny Shelton- Washington ---> I like this guy, but not until late fourth or early fifth

S- Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma State ---> Fair here. I don't know yet if I like him

CB/S- Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska ---> I like, pending combine

ILB- Chris Borland- Wisconsin ---> I love, pending combine

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama ---> No opinion

RB- Andre Williams- BC ---> No opinion. Stats suggest promise

RB- Carlos Hyde- OSU

RB- Devonte Freeman- FSU

DL/OLB- Taylor Hart- Oregon ---> Was really disppointing vs Stanford. Maybein the fourth

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa ---> I imagine him going no later than here, but I like him in the fourth

TE- Marcel Jensen- Fresno State

C/OG- Weston Richburg- Colorado State

Rd 4-7

TE- Arthur Lynch- Georgia

ILB- Max Bullough- Michigan State

S- Isaiah Lewis- Michigan State

CB- Ciante Evans- Nebraska

DT- Beau Allen- Wisconsin ---> Would pounce on this kid in the fourth. I'd take him in the third. I think teh best value among DTs

DT- Bruce Gaston- Purdue

DT- Eathyn Manumaleuna- BYU

DT- Ken Bishop- NIU

RB- Tyler Gaffney- Stanford

OG- Kevin Danser- Stanford

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

QB- Kenny Guiton- OSU

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

CB- BJ Lowery- Iowa

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just sharing my quick reactions above...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback.

Give CSU C Weston Richburg (6-4 302) a look.  Nasty player, with good feet that's quick off the snap, plays with a good base, moves well laterally/in space and does a good job of extending his arms to keep his pads clean.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

While looking at Left Tackles, Remember we have Elvis Fisher LT from Missouri on IR. He was an undrafted free agent this past draft and thus easy to dismiss as a JAG. However Fisher was once thought of as a possible 1st/2nd round pick but was plagued by injuries later on in his college career. Im keen to see what he can do against NFL Talent once he is healthy. He has starter potential and could surprise a lot of people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

While looking at Left Tackles, Remember we have Elvis Fisher LT from Missouri on IR. He was an undrafted free agent this past draft and thus easy to dismiss as a JAG. However Fisher was once thought of as a possible 1st/2nd round pick but was plagued by injuries later on in his college career. Im keen to see what he can do against NFL Talent once he is healthy. He has starter potential and could surprise a lot of people.

[/QUOTE]

I'm also looking forward to seeing what URFA WR TJ Moe (also from Missouri) can contribute in he future... he too was IR'd, but is a kid with the short area/quicks/COD that BB/NC really value in their WR's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm also looking forward to seeing what URFA WR TJ Moe (also from Missouri) can contribute in he future... he too was IR'd, but is a kid with the short area/quicks/COD that BB/NC really value in their WR's.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I am also curious about him but also afraid that if he shows he can play then we might have seen the end of Edelman in New England. Hope they can find a way to keep all our current WR and still find a way to integrate guys like Boyce, Moe and Harrison into the offense. We shall see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Hey guys!

Awesome thread as always! So time consuming to see what everyone says going back weeks but I finally have a few days off and want to check out your opinions.

The draft is always so dependent on what we can do in free agency and who we can extend/restructure and keep around... but... here are some questions and quick hits from me so far:

1. Kyle Van Noy seems to be everyones binkey this year. Almost no chance he falls close to the Pats, but this team needs a DE/DT who can play the 3-4 and 4-3 roles WAY more than a DE/OLB type moving forward.

Van Noy is the darling of this thread the way guys like Watt in '11, Fletcher Cox in '12 and Werner last year were. He is probably going to be gone in the teens and if he is on the Jets, Fins, Bills or Ravens that would be a tough deal for fans (and Brady) if he becomes the nasty pass rusher many feel he will be.

With Chandler Jones playing that Elephant/Willie Mac role now and dropping back to LB and Nink/Collins/Hightower all having the skills to do that as well, this team could really use a DE/DT who can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3. But the team/fans prob must hope Armstead, Jones, Kelly and Vellano can fill those spots. Sopoaga at NT until Vince comes back. There is little chance a we can afford a LaMarr Houston, Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson free agent. Justin Tuck would be an interesting option if affordable.

Unless you get Seymour or Ty Warren in the 5-15 range there are few rookies who can make an impact in this role right away. Recent examples of guys like Wilkerson and Fletcher Cox both needed a year. Ra'Shede Hageman is the only possible guy near our pick in rd 1 who could be huge right away, maybe Stephon Tuitt. Both are Seymour sized and athletic.

2. The free agency scene

I want C Alex Mack BADLY. After that I would be content keeping our own guys as far as shelling out good sized contracts.

PLEASE sign reasonable deals guys!

Talib - 5/30 w 18 guaranteed with health/behavior incentives that get him close to 50m (Vontae Davis would be great if we lose Talib and he is available for slightly less)

Spikes - 6/27 w 15 guaranteed and health/behavior incentives getting him close to 35 (Wesley Woodyard would be great if we lose Spikes as he should be available for less, Yawin Smallwood end of rd 2 would be a solid pick if we lose Spikes)

McCourty/Solder extensions and Vince/Mankins/Amendola restructures (Vince is a must) would be icing on the cake.

I mentioned Tuck as an option at DE/DT, maybe someone like Clinton McDonald of the Seahawks, can't afford much more than that. This being if we don't feel we're going to get D-line in the draft.

Emmanual Sanders a year later is kinda an obvious move. Edleman will be too pricey with T.J. Moe and Amendola ready for the slot. I say trade Thompkins while his stock is super high, maybe for a 4th-5th, since everyone still says Boyce is going to be real good. Then Dobson as the deep threat.

3. Safety help

If Gregory, Ebner and Harmon have shown anything it is that they are exceptional depth guys and spot starters. Gregory is due for an extension/paycut and Harmon is cheap for awhile. There isn't a FA safety to go after (Byrd too expensive) and this team could use a banger. I'd love Craig Loston at the end of rd 2. He has awesome size and is from a huge program in LSU playign elite competition.

Taking Tavon Wilson over the next guy picked in the 2nd rd in '12, Kendall Reyes, was the type of monumental blunder that can hurt 1-2 positions on a squad for years. Harmon is looking good, but 100% would have been there at the Boyce pick in rd 4. If only BB went an extra 750k to sacrifice the 3rd rd pick for Emmanual Sanders this team is probably undefeated.

4. O-line

Already said I want Alex Mack to be free agency priority #1.

Once he is here I am content to keep Connolly at RG and draft his backup/successor in rd 3 or 4. If he is not signed I move Connolly back to C since Wendell is awful and draft an OG in rd 1 or maybe draft a C in rd 2. Boring but needed as many here said. Brady MUSt be protected well ages 36-39.

5. An offensive weapon

Signing Emmanual sanders and having full seasons of health from Gronk, Vareen and Amendola will go a long way to solving the issues that came with Hernandez being jailed.

I think if Sefarian-Jenkins is around at the end of rd 2 the team should gamble on that talent, but definitely not in rd 1. There are also several interesting RB's who could provide Ridley skills minus the fumbles or more explosion than Bolden if we keep Ridley.

Maybe TE Xavier Grimble in rd 3

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A great offseason for me:

Free agency:

1. Keep Talib and Spikes 

2. Sign Alex Mack, Emmanual Sanders and Justin Tuck

Draft:

1. DT/DE Ra'Shede Hageman

2. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

3. SS Craig Loston

4. Maybe a OG like Anthony Steen

Use Thompkins and 5th/6th rd picks to move up and get someone that fits and add the most talent possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NE should take a chance in later rounds on Chris Whaley, DT, Texas, 6'3 300lbs.  Depends on the severity of his knee injury, but from what I saw on tape he is worth it.  Beating double teams or in the back field, good lateral movement, never seemed to be taken out of any play and good motor. He even was dropping back into coverage. Still learning the game.

1/11/13 - A senior who was having a strong senior season, Texas DT Chris Whaley is done for the year after suffering an undisclosed knee injury in the first quarter Saturday. A former running back, he was a late bloomer and was one of the positive surprises for the Longhorns on defense in 2013, recording 25 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and two defensive touchdowns.

Known as a leader in the huddle, Whaley is an active, athletic player who made it a habit of penetrating the backfield this season. Listed at 6-3 and 300 pounds, he was an undrafted free agent entering the season, but his impressive senior campaign put him in the third day discussion. However, the severity of his knee injury will determine his draft stock from here..... - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I'm making my Pats draft wish list now:

1st - Shede Hageman DT Minn - with Vince and Kelly both hurt and 33 yrs old - time to get new blood here and Heg is a Man!

2nd - Gabe Jackson - OG Miss State - he can start and we can move Connolly to C in place of Wendell.

3rd - Hello Andre Williams - BC's 2200 yard Man; good by Ridley!  BB does not usually like NE kids, but if he does not strike here Tom Coughlin of Jints loves BC guys and will snap Andre up!(actually, I could see moving up in this round or flipping my #2 and #3 to get Andre)

4th - Rob Blanchflower - TE UMass - good size, speed at a position of need for Pats.  Let's go big for the local boys this year!

5th - Mike Marry - LB Ole Miss - sure tackler and stout agains the run at 6'3" 256 lbs

6th - anybody from the Scalet Knights secondary - got to keep it all in BBs family!

I also want Talib resigned, Edelman resigned, and Greg Hardy (Panthers) LB/DE hybrid for Ole Miss signed as a free agent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm making my Pats draft wish list now:

1st - Shede Hageman DT Minn - with Vince and Kelly both hurt and 33 yrs old - time to get new blood here and Heg is a Man!

2nd - Gabe Jackson - OG Miss State - he can start and we can move Connolly to C in place of Wendell.

3rd - Hello Andre Williams - BC's 2200 yard Man; good by Ridley!  BB does not usually like NE kids, but if he does not strike here Tom Coughlin of Jints loves BC guys and will snap Andre up!(actually, I could see moving up in this round or flipping my #2 and #3 to get Andre)

4th - Rob Blanchflower - TE UMass - good size, speed at a position of need for Pats.  Let's go big for the local boys this year!

5th - Mike Marry - LB Ole Miss - sure tackler and stout agains the run at 6'3" 256 lbs

6th - anybody from the Scalet Knights secondary - got to keep it all in BBs family!

I also want Talib resigned, Edelman resigned, and Greg Hardy (Panthers) LB/DE hybrid for Ole Miss signed as a free agent.

[/QUOTE]

I too have Hageman on my board as a Rd 1/2 (Top 50) prospect, though I'm still waiting to see more 2013 tape.  There's no doubting his size/length/upside, but I haven't been overly impressed with the tape that I've seen.

Gabe Jackson will def be in the Day 2 OG discussion.

I'm also a fan of Andre Williams... elite frame, good vision, power and balance and generally protects the football... it's also tough to argue with his prodution (against elite comp), especially when you know teams are scheming to stop him.

Would love to see Blanchflower end up in Foxboro... believe he grew up the next town over from me.

Marry could be a solid Day 3 find as a downhill/Mike type backer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys!

Awesome thread as always! So time consuming to see what everyone says going back weeks but I finally have a few days off and want to check out your opinions.

The draft is always so dependent on what we can do in free agency and who we can extend/restructure and keep around... but... here are some questions and quick hits from me so far:

1. Kyle Van Noy seems to be everyones binkey this year. Almost no chance he falls close to the Pats, but this team needs a DE/DT who can play the 3-4 and 4-3 roles WAY more than a DE/OLB type moving forward.

Van Noy is the darling of this thread the way guys like Watt in '11, Fletcher Cox in '12 and Werner last year were. He is probably going to be gone in the teens and if he is on the Jets, Fins, Bills or Ravens that would be a tough deal for fans (and Brady) if he becomes the nasty pass rusher many feel he will be.

With Chandler Jones playing that Elephant/Willie Mac role now and dropping back to LB and Nink/Collins/Hightower all having the skills to do that as well, this team could really use a DE/DT who can play in either a 3-4 or 4-3. But the team/fans prob must hope Armstead, Jones, Kelly and Vellano can fill those spots. Sopoaga at NT until Vince comes back. There is little chance a we can afford a LaMarr Houston, Greg Hardy or Michael Johnson free agent. Justin Tuck would be an interesting option if affordable.

Unless you get Seymour or Ty Warren in the 5-15 range there are few rookies who can make an impact in this role right away. Recent examples of guys like Wilkerson and Fletcher Cox both needed a year. Ra'Shede Hageman is the only possible guy near our pick in rd 1 who could be huge right away, maybe Stephon Tuitt. Both are Seymour sized and athletic.

2. The free agency scene

I want C Alex Mack BADLY. After that I would be content keeping our own guys as far as shelling out good sized contracts.

PLEASE sign reasonable deals guys!

Talib - 5/30 w 18 guaranteed with health/behavior incentives that get him close to 50m (Vontae Davis would be great if we lose Talib and he is available for slightly less)

Spikes - 6/27 w 15 guaranteed and health/behavior incentives getting him close to 35 (Wesley Woodyard would be great if we lose Spikes as he should be available for less, Yawin Smallwood end of rd 2 would be a solid pick if we lose Spikes)

McCourty/Solder extensions and Vince/Mankins/Amendola restructures (Vince is a must) would be icing on the cake.

I mentioned Tuck as an option at DE/DT, maybe someone like Clinton McDonald of the Seahawks, can't afford much more than that. This being if we don't feel we're going to get D-line in the draft.

Emmanual Sanders a year later is kinda an obvious move. Edleman will be too pricey with T.J. Moe and Amendola ready for the slot. I say trade Thompkins while his stock is super high, maybe for a 4th-5th, since everyone still says Boyce is going to be real good. Then Dobson as the deep threat.

3. Safety help

If Gregory, Ebner and Harmon have shown anything it is that they are exceptional depth guys and spot starters. Gregory is due for an extension/paycut and Harmon is cheap for awhile. There isn't a FA safety to go after (Byrd too expensive) and this team could use a banger. I'd love Craig Loston at the end of rd 2. He has awesome size and is from a huge program in LSU playign elite competition.

Taking Tavon Wilson over the next guy picked in the 2nd rd in '12, Kendall Reyes, was the type of monumental blunder that can hurt 1-2 positions on a squad for years. Harmon is looking good, but 100% would have been there at the Boyce pick in rd 4. If only BB went an extra 750k to sacrifice the 3rd rd pick for Emmanual Sanders this team is probably undefeated.

4. O-line

Already said I want Alex Mack to be free agency priority #1.

Once he is here I am content to keep Connolly at RG and draft his backup/successor in rd 3 or 4. If he is not signed I move Connolly back to C since Wendell is awful and draft an OG in rd 1 or maybe draft a C in rd 2. Boring but needed as many here said. Brady MUSt be protected well ages 36-39.

5. An offensive weapon

Signing Emmanual sanders and having full seasons of health from Gronk, Vareen and Amendola will go a long way to solving the issues that came with Hernandez being jailed.

I think if Sefarian-Jenkins is around at the end of rd 2 the team should gamble on that talent, but definitely not in rd 1. There are also several interesting RB's who could provide Ridley skills minus the fumbles or more explosion than Bolden if we keep Ridley.

Maybe TE Xavier Grimble in rd 3

[/QUOTE]

Van Noy is a popular name, but I don't think he's everyone's binky.  Personally, I think ND OL Zack Martin could be the best football player available when NE's on the clock and they could use an injection of talent and depth to the interior of their OL... he could also be their swing tackle, providing a ton of positional versatilty.  

I also think most would agree that DL is a position that could be addressed very early, though I'm not extremely high on any of the DT's in this class, though Ego Ferugson, Kelcy Quarles and Da'Quan Jones are (3) names (that haven't been discussed much) that I think BB will have a good amount of interest in.

As for FA:

Not sure how much they'd be willing to throw at a C, but Mack is a good player.

Talib is def a wild card... no doubting his impact on the D, though I'm curious how much they'll offer him in FA.  It also looks like a potentially deep/talented draft at CB.

Spikes is a player that I definitely want back and he doesn't player a premium $ position, so I think they can work a deal that works for both parties.  He's exactly what they need in the middle, a big, nasty downhill backer that tackles well... a true tone setter.  I also like Yawin Smallwood out of Uconn as an ILB option... local kid too, playing his HS ball in Worcester, MA.

I also hope they make another run at Sanders... or maybe even an Golden Tate or Anquan Boldin or Jerricho Cotchery or Riley Cooper, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not that I expect BB to target another WR early, but if he does, LSU's Jarvis Landry (6-0 195) is probably at the top of my list of Day 2 options.  Good size, solid NFL build, can operate out of the slot, but has adequate size to play on the outside.  He's a tough, competitive kid with big, strong hands, good ball skills and body control that has the quicks/COD/RAC ability that BB/NC covet in the position... and he has no problem working the middle fo the field.  Really like his game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]

Not that I expect BB to target another WR early, but if he does, LSU's Jarvis Landry (6-0 195) is probably at the top of my list of Day 2 options.  Good size, solid NFL build, can operate out of the slot, but has adequate size to play on the outside.  He's a tough, competitive kid with big, strong hands, good ball skills and body control that has the quicks/COD/RAC ability that BB/NC covet in the position... and he has no problem working the middle fo the field.  Really like his game.

[/QUOTE]

MB, you are spot on again!  Check out your boys catch vs Arkansas today right here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24301139/video-jarvis-landrys-amazing-catch-vs-arkansas

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Rd 1

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU ---> Mixed to yes (still hoping he looks as good at the season end as last eyar's season end)

Rd 1-2

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota ---> Will reserve judgement 'til I see my recording of the WIS v MIN game

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU ---> For a run stuffer, I'd rather take Allen in the third round

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I finally got a chance to follow through with watching the WIS @ MIN game. Frankly, I am still struggling to see why people are infatuated with Hageman. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me when Hageman made good plays. I think I saw him make a good tackle in the first quarter. On anotehr play, I saw him open up a lane for his LB to attack the WIS QB on a delayed blitz for a sack. That was it.

Throughout the ame, I was just watching WIS's Allen and Abbrederis and MIN's Hageman.

My thoughts on Hageman, based on four MIN games I have seen (vs WIS, vs PSU, vs Iowa and another that I don't remember who):

He does not play on a big chunk of MIN's defensive snaps. Against WIS, I don't think he even played on 50% of their defensive snaps. Against PSU, I noticed he did not play on a lot of snaps, but did not really take note of how much. It was the observation on that game vs PSU, that made me track his snaps on the WIS game.

I have not figured out what he is good at. I have not seen him get to the QB. Maybe I missed it, as I speed through some portions of the game. I don't think offenses are afraid of his ability to stop teh run. At least WIS is not afraid of running at him. On a 2nd and goal at the MIN 2, in Q2,WIS ran through where Hageman lined up, for a TD. On a 4th and 1, WIS ran at his side again for a first down.

Between WIS's Allen and MIN's Hageman, I think I strongly prefer Allen (who is projected to be available in the fourth) than Hageman where he is currently projected - 1st rnd. At least, I know what I am getting from Allen - a 333 lb NT who actually is strong at holding space and arguably a more active motor than most NTs.

I believe, WIS's Allen and PSU's Jones are the NTs that present the best value where they are projected.

That said, I am sure come March, someone will have put together on youtube a highlight reel of Hageman's spectacular plays. Plus, I do anticipate Hageman to ace his combine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Rd 1

Rd 1-2

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I finally got a chance to follow through with watching the WIS @ MIN game. Frankly, I am still struggling to see why people are infatuated with Hageman. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me when Hageman made good plays. I think I saw him make a good tackle in the first quarter. On anotehr play, I saw him open up a lane for his LB to attack the WIS QB on a delayed blitz for a sack. That was it.

Throughout the ame, I was just watching WIS's Allen and Abbrederis and MIN's Hageman.

My thoughts on Hageman, based on four MIN games I have seen (vs WIS, vs PSU, vs Iowa and another that I don't remember who):

He does not play on a big chunk of MIN's defensive snaps. Against WIS, I don't think he even played on 50% of their defensive snaps. Against PSU, I noticed he did not play on a lot of snaps, but did not really take note of how much. It was the observation on that game vs PSU, that made me track his snaps on the WIS game.

I have not figured out what he is good at. I have not seen him get to the QB. Maybe I missed it, as I speed through some portions of the game. I don't think offenses are afraid of his ability to stop teh run. At least WIS is not afraid of running at him. On a 2nd and goal at the MIN 2, in Q2,WIS ran through where Hageman lined up, for a TD. On a 4th and 1, WIS ran at his side again for a first down.

Between WIS's Allen and MIN's Hageman, I think I strongly prefer Allen (who is projected to be available in the fourth) than Hageman where he is currently projected - 1st rnd. At least, I know what I am getting from Allen - a 333 lb NT who actually is strong at holding space and arguably a more active motor than most NTs.

I believe, WIS's Allen and PSU's Jones are the NTs that present the best value where they are projected.

That said, I am sure come March, someone will have put together on youtube a highlight reel of Hageman's spectacular plays. Plus, I do anticipate Hageman to ace his combine.

[/QUOTE]

I have not been focused on him because all the hype of him being a top 20 pick.  In general, I am not impressed with the overall DT class.  I think NE will select where they see real value.  It could be later rounds. Allen is making more of an impression than Hageman.  I like a late RD pick in Shamar Stephens out of Conn (NT).  This year's DT crop doesn't seem as deep as last year.

IMO,NE needs a young DT in the Wilfork mode.  We have Grissom (6'2, 316) signed until 2015, Siliga (6'2" 325) just this year, maybe he sticks.  Armstead (6'5" 300) should return next year as well as Kelly.  They may restructure with Sopoaga.  Jones and Vellano will be back. PS has Forston.  We may see NE go the FA route.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Hey guys

I am a newcomer to this thread and truthfully I don't know college football but I did watch several Texas Tech games this year. Along with being impressed with Kliff Kingsbury as the energetic, hip 1st year coach and face of the team, I thought Jace Amaro, the TE was pretty much uncoverable against Big 12 competition. Where do you guys think he fits in the NFL? How does he compare to Hernandez?  I know TE is not our priority so it is more likely we will see one of our TE hungry competitors pick him up but I wonder how you evaluate him?

I was also impressed with both their true freshman QB's: Baker Mayfield and Davis Webb. To me it is unimaginable that 2 freshman QB's on 1 team could each complete over 60% of their passes and each throw for over 2300 yards in just 12 games (385 yards/game/avg.) in a tough division like the Big 12! Baker Mayfield, somehow, was even a walk on! That is unfathomable to me. 

The game of football has evolved so much since I was a kid. These 2 young 18 year old QB's from Texas are tough, savvy, mature, good decision makers. I just don't know how they produce these atheletes down in Texas. They must start them in QB school when they are 3 years old! What do you guys think?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys

I don't know college football but I did watch several Texas Tech games this year. Along with being impressed with Kliff Kingsbury as the energetic, hip 1st year coach and face of the team, I thought Jace Amaro, the TE was pretty much uncoverable against Big 12 competition. Where do you guys think he fits in the NFL? How does he compare to Hernandez?  I know TE is not our priority so it is more likely we will see one of our TE hungry competitors pick him up but I wonder how you evaluate him?

[/QUOTE]

Hey NYC,

If Amaro declares (he'd previously tweeted that he was returning to school), he's a likely Rd 1 pick and 2nd TE off the board (after UNC's Eric Ebron)... if he's available at NE's pick, I think he's a very, very strong consideration for them as he does play the AH role, but with better size... but also has a ton of athleticism and big play ability and plays almost exclusively flexed out/in the slot.  I also think TE could/should be a priority as outside of Gronk, they don't really have a TE on the roster that can/should consistently catch passes from TB.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I would like to see him come out, but he may stay for his senior year.  He is not the best blocking TE but is very good with his hands.  Sort of like Gronk, runs good routes, uses the seam routes best, he can catch just about everything.  He is used more in teh slot than normal TE use.  Good player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys

I don't know college football but I did watch several Texas Tech games this year. Along with being impressed with Kliff Kingsbury as the energetic, hip 1st year coach and face of the team, I thought Jace Amaro, the TE was pretty much uncoverable against Big 12 competition. Where do you guys think he fits in the NFL? How does he compare to Hernandez?  I know TE is not our priority so it is more likely we will see one of our TE hungry competitors pick him up but I wonder how you evaluate him?

Hey NYC,

If Amaro declares (he'd previously tweeted that he was returning to school), he's a likely Rd 1 pick and 2nd TE off the board (after UNC's Eric Ebron)... if he's available at NE's pick, I think he's a very, very strong consideration for them as he does play the AH role, but with better size... but also has a ton of athleticism and big play ability and plays almost exclusively flexed out/in the slot.  I also think TE could/should be a priority as outside of Gronk, they don't really have a TE on the roster that can/should consistently catch passes from TB.  

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike!

I re-edited my post to include comments about Tex Tech's 2 freshman QB's. I am just blown away with evolution of QB's. What is going in Texas that they can have 2 guys like this on the same team?

Tom/NYC

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to see him come out, but he may stay for his senior year.  He is not the best blocking TE but is very good with his hands.  Sort of like Gronk, runs good routes, uses the seam routes best, he can catch just about everything.  He is used more in teh slot than normal TE use.  Good player.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not a lot of experience in line, but I really like his effort/ability as a blocker in space... which can also be an asset in extending plays down the field.