***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Faucetman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's up?  What positions do we see as biggest needs?

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

[/QUOTE]

DT or OG, mankins is deteriorating and I'd like to see wendell leave so we can move Connolly to center

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking Guard too.  Not sure Mankins will be leaving right away as I think he has a couple years left on his big deal, right?  I actually think Wendell is doing OK.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

[/QUOTE]

DT or OG, mankins is deteriorating and I'd like to see wendell leave so we can move Connolly to center

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking Guard too.  Not sure Mankins will be leaving right away as I think he has a couple years left on his big deal, right?  I actually think Wendell is doing OK.

[/QUOTE]

yeah he has a couple years left on the deal but his play isnt warranting the mkney he is making thats for sure. also, wendell has been the most over matched olineman of ours. besides Solder (who normally takes on the D's best rusher) Wendell has blown a lot of pass protection it seems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Guess what guys?! Gronk injury may keep him out a significant time next season too, so one of our biggest needs now in this years draft is a TE.... amazing how things change so quick...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Guys, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a strong young DL with a big motor, but I do wonder what kind of priority it is if all our injured come back plus the young guys we have there now?  I would put OL and TE first...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a strong young DL with a big motor, but I do wonder what kind of priority it is if all our injured come back plus the young guys we have there now?  I would put OL and TE first...

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair point in regards to the DL... you could have VW, Kelly, Vellano, Jones, Sopoaga and even Siliga and Armstead back next year, which provides decent depth and good experience.  

It probably all depends on who's within range in Rd 1 as Amaro (if he declares) and Ebron would likely require them to trade up, leaving the possiblity of Washington's ASJ.

Day 2 could yield them Iowa's CJ Fiedorowicz, Georgia's Arthur Lynch, or Fresno State's Marcel Jensen, etc.

One TE name that hasn't been mentioned much is FSU's Nick O'Leary who projects to more of the AH role in the NE offense.  If he declares, he could garner Day 2 interest as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Faucet, where you been, bruh!?

I'm focused on OL/DL/TE/CB in Rd 1.  Would still love to see that true wrecking ball S for the back end too... but they can prob target one on Day 2 (Loston/Bucannon, etc.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BILLB50's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Justin Gilbert continued to impress me today. I would not be disappointed if we 

drafted him.

[/QUOTE]

Kid's an absolute stud... (4) down impact player ceiling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another Sleeper Alert:

Elhadji Ndiaye
    Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
    University of Nebraska-Kearney
    6’5, 255 pounds
    2013 statistics: 46 tackles (26 solo) , 9.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
    40 yard dash: 4.48

One of the best kept secrets in the 2014 NFL Draft is a severely little-known hybrid 6’5, 255 pound combo defensive end/outside linebacker prospect named Elhadji Ndiaye. Ndiaye is a native of Senegal, who played soccer growing up. Football? It was an afterthought. That is, until his cousin, former NFL defensive lineman Ogemdi Nwagbuo, saw the potential in Elhadji, and took the youngster under his wing. Ogemdi, a solid vested NFL veteran of the Giants, Chargers, Panthers & Lions, convinced Ndiaye that he had a world of potential in the sport of football, and pushed him to give it a try.......

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/elhadji-ndiaye-the-2014-nfl-drafts-super-sleeper/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks jj, I'll try and give him a look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a fair point in regards to the DL... you could have VW, Kelly, Vellano, Jones, Sopoaga and even Siliga and Armstead back next year, which provides decent depth and good experience.  

It probably all depends on who's within range in Rd 1 as Amaro (if he declares) and Ebron would likely require them to trade up, leaving the possiblity of Washington's ASJ.

Day 2 could yield them Iowa's CJ Fiedorowicz, Georgia's Arthur Lynch, or Fresno State's Marcel Jensen, etc.

One TE name that hasn't been mentioned much is FSU's Nick O'Leary who projects to more of the AH role in the NE offense.  If he declares, he could garner Day 2 interest as well.

[/QUOTE]

Given how bb wants to use TEs, wouldn't it make more sense,to go after a guy like Scott Chandler in FA? I think he is an Rfa next year and it shouldn't break the bank. He has good size, a decent blocker and decent receiver. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How many QBs do you think will be taken in the first round?

Until some of these announce they are coming back to school, the list of eligible QBs with very good NFL potential is still long.

Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, McCarron (really really underrated, IMO), Hundley, Boyd, Mettenberger

FYI: Beyond that, some QBs have flashed good promise too (probably end up being good backups, with potential to emerge as starters)...

Murray, Keeton, Mannion, Fales

Price (WA), Miller, Gardner, Kay, Bortles, Halliday, Wenning

[/QUOTE]

love Price great gamer and leader. kid just seems to be a winner to me

[/QUOTE]

Agree, could be a solid late rd find for somebody.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

How about this Tre Mason kid. he's a junior coming off a 1K soph year and a huge year this year. i see him leaving for the draft. kid is a little tank, could be a solid NFL runner.

[/QUOTE]

Had himself quite the impressive day on Sat!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So just wanted to get everyones feeling on needs for the draft at this point in the season. For me right now I have:

#1 DT - DT is still my biggest need as we've seen without good DT's this D falls apart. With Wilfork and Kelly a year older and legs issues I'd be taking a huge look to one in the draft

#2 TE - If nothing else this season will be known as the one where it shows this O in the RZ and on 3rd downs is comletely reliant on having a top end TE. With Gronk there is no guarantee he'll make it through a season so I think this jumps up for me in high prioirty

#3 SS - Harmons been alright but I still think they need a hard hitting SS that has ability to cover TE's out of the backfield while still being able to roam up into the box for run support

#4 G - whether this is an eventual replacement for Mankins or immediate replacement for Connolly I would say a G is going to be needed sooner rather than latter

#5 C - I think Wendell has done a good job but we need better protection up the middle and it starts with Wendell

#6 RB - I don't know how BB feels about Ridley but Blount and Bolden are JAGs that can be replaced and Vereen is injury prone to the point where we need a stable backup behind him. Woodhead would have been perfect but he's gone and they need someone else to help carry the load.

#7 QB - Lets face it Mallett might no be around next season and Brady is starting to show signs of age. Time to find an eventual replacement

#8 CB - Talib is a question mark to come back and even though Ryan and Dennard look good they will need someone with some size and speed to keep up with the Gordons of the world and that clearly isn't Arrington dispite his contract.

#10 OT - Vollmer is injury prone but I think they can make due with Cannon but they need some better depth than what they have

Under those assumptions here is my new mock -

1st - Hageman DT Minn - I don't think he's done enough to make him a top 20 pick I thinking mid to late 20's which might be close enough for the Pats to get him or move up slightly for him. He would be my first choice in the matter

Alt - Jace Amaro TE TT - Another one that could or couldn't be in the 20's but a total all around TE. I would be happy with either but I think because of the quality of QB's this year and CB's one could slip to us

2nd - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - He's a name flying up draft boards and we might have to take him in the mid-late 2nd to have a shot at him but I love his size, blocking ability, and hands. I think he could develop nicely into a starting caliber TE in a 2 TE set

alt - Kelcy Quarles DT SC - Another one moving up boards. Very quickly interior DL who can consistently get into the backfield. I love his aggressiveness in plays and ability to slip blocks

3rd - David Yankey G/OT Stanford - Yankey is a very technically sound blocker in both aspects of the game. Someone Scar can really work with. He also gives flexibility as a potential RT, RG, and might have the ability to play LG in the pro's. If available in the 3rd he's my choice

alt - Anthony Steen G Ala - not nearly as techinical as Yankey he is just a steam roller for Ala. I'd say he's almost a pure RG right now but has a chance to improve his pass blocking. He'd be a good pick up if they decide to focus more on a running game as Brady gets older.

4th - Daniel McCullers DT Tenn - McCullers has fallen hard but you can't teach his size. I'd love to double down on DT if available and McCullers seems like a steal this late in the draft. 

alt - De'Anthony Thomas RB Ore - A smaller but extremely quick RB, his size will bring injury concerns as will his ankle injury which will drop him in the draft. However, he's an explosive change of pace back that would make up nicely with Vereen as a pass catching option. He could also be a return man in the kicking game.

6th - Andre Williams RB BC - I know might be a bit of a pipe dream but 1 season doesn't make a career and some teams will have major question marks about his ability in the Pro's. We have seen RB's drop in recent years and I don't expect any different given the level of RB's in this years draft. There is a chance he could be there or the Pats could move up for him

Alt - Kenny Hillard RB LSU - A bigger bruiser back with decent speed. The running back by committee LSU approach means Hillard should have fresh legs and we haven't seen the best of him yet. It should also help to translate to the Pats approach

6th - CJ Barnett S Ohio - I'm not seeing great SS talent this year so I waited until now to take a risk on a player. Barnett is injury prone but when playing he's very solid in run support and has coverage ability. If not for injures I'd put him as a 2nd day prospect but all his injures will force him down to this range. Seems like a good BB type of gamble

alt - Ciante Evans CB Neb - A former Dennard team mate, he's slightly smaller but quicker than Dennard and has some good coverage potential but seems better suited as a money role CB. Could be a good STer who can eventually take over for Arrington once we can get out from that contract

7th - Insert random Rutgers player for the heck of it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So just wanted to get everyones feeling on needs for the draft at this point in the season. For me right now I have:

#1 DT - DT is still my biggest need as we've seen without good DT's this D falls apart. With Wilfork and Kelly a year older and legs issues I'd be taking a huge look to one in the draft

#2 TE - If nothing else this season will be known as the one where it shows this O in the RZ and on 3rd downs is comletely reliant on having a top end TE. With Gronk there is no guarantee he'll make it through a season so I think this jumps up for me in high prioirty

#3 SS - Harmons been alright but I still think they need a hard hitting SS that has ability to cover TE's out of the backfield while still being able to roam up into the box for run support

#4 G - whether this is an eventual replacement for Mankins or immediate replacement for Connolly I would say a G is going to be needed sooner rather than latter

#5 C - I think Wendell has done a good job but we need better protection up the middle and it starts with Wendell

#6 RB - I don't know how BB feels about Ridley but Blount and Bolden are JAGs that can be replaced and Vereen is injury prone to the point where we need a stable backup behind him. Woodhead would have been perfect but he's gone and they need someone else to help carry the load.

#7 QB - Lets face it Mallett might no be around next season and Brady is starting to show signs of age. Time to find an eventual replacement

#8 CB - Talib is a question mark to come back and even though Ryan and Dennard look good they will need someone with some size and speed to keep up with the Gordons of the world and that clearly isn't Arrington dispite his contract.

#10 OT - Vollmer is injury prone but I think they can make due with Cannon but they need some better depth than what they have

Under those assumptions here is my new mock -

1st - Hageman DT Minn - I don't think he's done enough to make him a top 20 pick I thinking mid to late 20's which might be close enough for the Pats to get him or move up slightly for him. He would be my first choice in the matter

Alt - Jace Amaro TE TT - Another one that could or couldn't be in the 20's but a total all around TE. I would be happy with either but I think because of the quality of QB's this year and CB's one could slip to us

2nd - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - He's a name flying up draft boards and we might have to take him in the mid-late 2nd to have a shot at him but I love his size, blocking ability, and hands. I think he could develop nicely into a starting caliber TE in a 2 TE set

alt - Kelcy Quarles DT SC - Another one moving up boards. Very quickly interior DL who can consistently get into the backfield. I love his aggressiveness in plays and ability to slip blocks

3rd - David Yankey G/OT Stanford - Yankey is a very technically sound blocker in both aspects of the game. Someone Scar can really work with. He also gives flexibility as a potential RT, RG, and might have the ability to play LG in the pro's. If available in the 3rd he's my choice

alt - Anthony Steen G Ala - not nearly as techinical as Yankey he is just a steam roller for Ala. I'd say he's almost a pure RG right now but has a chance to improve his pass blocking. He'd be a good pick up if they decide to focus more on a running game as Brady gets older.

4th - Daniel McCullers DT Tenn - McCullers has fallen hard but you can't teach his size. I'd love to double down on DT if available and McCullers seems like a steal this late in the draft. 

alt - De'Anthony Thomas RB Ore - A smaller but extremely quick RB, his size will bring injury concerns as will his ankle injury which will drop him in the draft. However, he's an explosive change of pace back that would make up nicely with Vereen as a pass catching option. He could also be a return man in the kicking game.

6th - Andre Williams RB BC - I know might be a bit of a pipe dream but 1 season doesn't make a career and some teams will have major question marks about his ability in the Pro's. We have seen RB's drop in recent years and I don't expect any different given the level of RB's in this years draft. There is a chance he could be there or the Pats could move up for him

Alt - Kenny Hillard RB LSU - A bigger bruiser back with decent speed. The running back by committee LSU approach means Hillard should have fresh legs and we haven't seen the best of him yet. It should also help to translate to the Pats approach

6th - CJ Barnett S Ohio - I'm not seeing great SS talent this year so I waited until now to take a risk on a player. Barnett is injury prone but when playing he's very solid in run support and has coverage ability. If not for injures I'd put him as a 2nd day prospect but all his injures will force him down to this range. Seems like a good BB type of gamble

alt - Ciante Evans CB Neb - A former Dennard team mate, he's slightly smaller but quicker than Dennard and has some good coverage potential but seems better suited as a money role CB. Could be a good STer who can eventually take over for Arrington once we can get out from that contract

7th - Insert random Rutgers player for the heck of it

[/QUOTE]

Hey PE,

I'd prob have CB ranked higher... the position is at such a premium in today's NFL and who knows what will happen with Talib after the season.  If he's retained, then the need is reduced a bit, and I think Day 3 is a good spot, if he's not, then I think you could see a CB targeted on Day 1 or 2.  

Like you, I would also like to see a true wrecking ball in the secondary.

As for your mock:

Assuming Amaro is there (doubt he will be if he declares), I think he's a no-brainer at this point... I've cooled on Hageman (pending further film review)... not sure what he really does well at this point (he's still relatively new to the position), though the upside is still immense and the measurables/length are elite.

I'd love to land Quarles there...  would be great value... think his stock will be on the rise.

Yankey is probably a Top 40/50 player, with Rd 1 upside, so I don't know if he'll land in Rd 3... if he does, that's great value.  I also like Steen there.

I like targeting a monster like McCullers in that range and would love to see an electric player like De'Anthony.

I think Andre Williams ends up late Day 2 or Early Day 3.

Like the Evans pick, not a popular name, but the kid can play... had him on my Big 53 board as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MB, I think they will release Sopoaga for sure, nevertheless DT is deep with bodies but not necessarily top end.  I  think CB is still in play and could be the 1st RD or 2nd Rd.

TE has now crepted up to a definite need.  I think this draft has TE personel that could help NE.  You listed them above.  Fiedorowicz is climbing.  Draft pundits have him as an excellent blocker and great hands.  The issue is Iowa didn't throw to him enough.  ASJ is looking like a late 2nd rd pick, Ebron 1st/2nd NE will have choices early.  

Do they double dip again??  They have an IR Gronk, Mulligan, Hooho, Dj Williams.  Can you draft two guys that are better that improve that position? (Leaning that way)  We were talking Double dipping on DT, I don't see that now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MB, I think they will release Sopoaga for sure, nevertheless DT is deep with bodies but not necessarily top end.  I  think CB is still in play and could be the 1st RD or 2nd Rd.

TE has now crepted up to a definite need.  I think this draft has TE personel that could help NE.  You listed them above.  Fiedorowicz is climbing.  Draft pundits have him as an excellent blocker and great hands.  The issue is Iowa didn't throw to him enough.  ASJ is looking like a late 2nd rd pick, Ebron 1st/2nd NE will have choices early.  

Do they double dip again??  They have an IR Gronk, Mulligan, Hooho, Dj Williams.  Can you draft two guys that are better that improve that position? (Leaning that way)  We were talking Double dipping on DT, I don't see that now.

[/QUOTE]

I agree about the CB position, def in play within the Top 100, particularly Rd 1 or 2 if the right guy is available.

It projects to be a pretty deep year for TE's in FA, so I could very well see them taking one in the Top 100 and signing one in FA.

FA list below:

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=TE&Year=2014

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree about the CB position, def in play within the Top 100, particularly Rd 1 or 2 if the right guy is available.

It projects to be a pretty deep year for TE's in FA, so I could very well see them taking one in the Top 100 and signing one in FA.

FA list below:

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=TE&Year=2014

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, same for DT.  They could go FA for one DT and draft for another.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Iowa tackle Brandon Scherff announced on Monday that he will be returning to the Hawkeyes for his senior year. There are plenty of people who believe Scherff would not make it out of the first round of the draft this year, but he could end up becoming a top 5 pick if he puts together a big season next year.

Scherff is a nasty blocker that NFL teams will salivate over, so he just needs to continue doing what he is doing and watch the money come pouring in when his name is called in the 2015 NFL Draft.

http://fansided.com/2013/12/09/brandon-scherff-returning-iowa-senior-year/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2nd TE?

DT?

S?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Faucet, where you been, bruh!?

I'm focused on OL/DL/TE/CB in Rd 1.  Would still love to see that true wrecking ball S for the back end too... but they can prob target one on Day 2 (Loston/Bucannon, etc.)

[/QUOTE]

Hey Mb buddy,  Where's my scotch, LOL?  Things have been crazy, I moved, got divorced, etc.  Am ready to start thinking about the draft. 

Even before the Gronk injury I was thinking TE in the first 2 rounds, now definitely feel we need to address the position as a priority.    We could go big or smaller, faster.  Give me some names of who you see as top 100 TEs that would make a good fit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Mb buddy,  Where's my scotch, LOL?  Things have been crazy, I moved, got divorced, etc.  Am ready to start thinking about the draft. 

Even before the Gronk injury I was thinking TE in the first 2 rounds, now definitely feel we need to address the position as a priority.    We could go big or smaller, faster.  Give me some names of who you see as top 100 TEs that would make a good fit.

[/QUOTE]

Austin Seferian-Jenkins. 6'6 260. ATHLETE. he reminds me of a Vernon Davis, but not as fast but bigger than him. huge guy that can play open field ball.

I like Arthur Lynch as a possible day 2 guy... 6'5 250 from Georgia. solid blocker, nothing special as a reciever jusst solid player.

besides that people are high on Eric Ebron outta UNC but he's a smaller guy (6'4 240) and i want a bigger guy to block..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To me, it's really important to have two guys in the middle who would have the impact of VW and Kelly. I believe the drop down when one is replaced by the others you mention is significant.

IMO hoping they both come back to form is fine, but expecting it is foolish. We are talking about to 300+ lb guys, 32 and 33 yrs of age - age and weight combination that makes it hard to imagine them being able to come back to old form.

I do think they need to draft a heavy. Unfortunately, the 2014 class is lean on top end DT talent, beyond Nix and Tuitt. PSU's Jones on the second day could be a target, or wait to see who is available on the third day.

They need to pick up two TEs - one to replace Hern another to be Gronk's understudy. I like the idea of picking up one on teh second day and then another in FA.

I have watched O Leary. I could be wrong, but I don't look at him as having the same impact in the RZ as Gronk. IMO his impact could more like Hern. At 6-3, 238, he's just slightly bigger than a WR. His size is not much of a matchup issue for defenders as Gronk is. That said, of the TEs, I believe his hands and speed are second only to Ebron.

[/QUOTE]

Please see responses in bold

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Austin Seferian-Jenkins. 6'6 260. ATHLETE. he reminds me of a Vernon Davis, but not as fast but bigger than him. huge guy that can play open field ball.

I like Arthur Lynch as a possible day 2 guy... 6'5 250 from Georgia. solid blocker, nothing special as a reciever jusst solid player.

besides that people are high on Eric Ebron outta UNC but he's a smaller guy (6'4 240) and i want a bigger guy to block..

[/QUOTE]

Building on JJ's assessment.

AMARO: The best receiving threat overall. Huge guy. The best receiving threat in the RZ. I have to go back and watch this guy. I see him often lining up in the slot. I don't know if he has blocking skills that will help a run game. 

EBRON: IMO is the same receiving threat up and down the field as Amaro, but not in the RZ. Pretty much moves like a WR, albeit a tad slower (faster than most TEs even in the NFL). Blocks more than Amaro.

SEFARIAN-JENKINS: IMO the best all around, but is not the best in any aspect (receiving, pass block, run block). Perhaps top 3 in each. I think this guy provides best value because he can help in many ways, hence reduces predicability of the offense.

LYNCH: I would bucket in the ASJ mold, but perhaps a notch below.

O LEARY: Similar to Ebron, but not as productive as a receiver, and better as a blocker.

FIEDEROWICZ: I withold opinion. Early in the season I thought he was not living up to the hype coming into the season. I have not seen him in the last four weeks. I understand he performed better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

AMARO: The best receiving threat overall. Huge guy. The best receiving threat in the RZ. I have to go back and watch this guy. I see him often lining up in the slot. I don't know if he has blocking skills that will help a run game. 

EBRON: IMO is the same receiving threat up and down the field as Amaro, but not in the RZ. Pretty much moves like a WR, albeit a tad slower (faster than most TEs even in the NFL). Blocks more than Amaro.

SEFARIAN-JENKINS: IMO the best all around, but is not the best in any aspect (receiving, pass block, run block). Perhaps top 3 in each. I think this guy provides best value because he can help in many ways, hence reduces predicability of the offense.

O LEARY: Similar to Ebron, but not as productive as a receiver, and better as a blocker.

FIEDEROWICZ: I withold opinion. Early in the season I thought he was not living up to the hype coming into the season. I have not seen him in the last four weeks. I understand he performed better.

[/QUOTE]

the only reason i didnt write about Amaro is because there is no chance we get him imo. he will go high in this draft

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the only reason i didnt write about Amaro is because there is no chance we get him imo. he will go high in this draft

[/QUOTE]

True

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

I think the TE position for this team is critical. Brady only had 7 comp's to his TE's when Gronk was gone early on. We have to be able to take advantage of one of Tom's biggest strengths. Taking advantage of the middle of the field with outs , hooks and seams. Who knows when Gronk will be back and how he'll look. I think the TE position is extremely valuable in this offense, with this QB. Brady's strongest attributes have always been his decision making , leadership, toughness, and accuracy on short/intermediate routes inside the numbers. Easily one of the best ever at manipulating backers and S's. Getting him another legit TE as a weapon is pressing concern. I really think there are a few guys in this years draft that could be special.

Austin Seferian Jenkins is the most complete in this years or any recent draft imho. I guy that can be an inline blocker and elite recieving threat. He's a 3 down player. He's very athletic , with some very good agility for a guy his size 66/260. I could see him catching many TD's from Brady on that seam route that 12-87 connect on so often. He's my favorite and the best TE imo. He's a guy that will also help out the running game by keep S's back and opening up the 2nd level against backers. For a big guy he some pretty good burst off the line. And again shows good straight line speed on seam routes. I'd love to see Scar work with him with oline. Sometimes he cant sustain a block as long as he should. Overall though he's more than solid in both the running and passing game.

Eric Ebron might be the best recieving tight end in this years draft. Very nice body control , knows how to use his size/strength 64/250 to position himself , agile , good route runner , good burst and plays with toughness. Toughness that he use and that will help him get better blocking on the line and at the poa. Needs to play with more discipline and focus. Has dropped a few balls. Needs to get better as a blocker to be a 3 down guy. With the right coaching , team he could be a very good , versatile player.

Jace Amaro. If Ebron's not the best recieving tight end , Amaro is. Big 65/255 , athletic , with soft hands. Run's in the 4.6's. He runs smooth , with toughness and it takes more than one guy to bring him down. He can line up anywhere as far as i'm concerned. Slot , inline , outside , h-back with potential to flex out. Has good balence. Good body control , balence and will go get the ball in the air. Some people have serious concerns on his ability to be an every down player and inline blocker. As an inline blocker I would agree, he's a bit of a project. But I have have seen him demosrtate the ability to block down the field and do it well. Might not be an every down player at first. Again get him with the right coaching and training staff.

Colt Lyerla is a wildcard. If he's even available. He has some off the fields issue to say the least. If he can straighten himself out he could be had in the 3-4th round easy. Some people don't even think he'll get drafted at all. He's 65/245 with low 4.5 speed. Despite his size he blocked inline and motion for the Ducks. Will line up anywhere. Inside , outside , backfield. Athletic with very good body control. Would kill the seam route that Brady and Gronk hook up on. Although again , has serious off the field issue.

Theres a couple other guys but these 4 stand out as potential game changers. Imo the first three are worthy of a first round pick and even worth trading up a few spots. 4-6. Especially A.S.J. This guy comes in and starts if we run our 2 TE O. A guy who is very good at a lot of things , with a high ceiling. If Colt is available and there in round 4 ,go for it.

As for the WR position I think we have a decent corp that could use an upgrade.

I think Dobson can be that outside the numbers guy we've been looking for. He's had a tough transition but was coming along as far as I'm concerned. He's big guy with the ability to seperate. And as far as I'm concerned , in terms of his hands. This year is an abberation. I watched this guy in college with some shaky play at QB make some very tough catches. People need to be more patient around here. He's still learning. He's just now learning to read a defense. He's learning what he can do and cant do. Where he fits in and what he's good at. I think he only gets better. 

I dont trust D.A. at all. None. This is a team that counts on their players in Jan. I'm worried about him walking down the street in July , nevermind be able to get through a full 16 game season. Great player when healthy. No doubt. Just cant count on him.

I say try to resign Edelman or make a play for Golden Tate. I really like both and think both are perfect for this offense. Also Sanders from Pitt would be a great fit. Decker might not have a huge market. I cant see someone giving him tons of bank. Might be worth a look. Also I'd give Boldin a look.

Also there's a ton of big WR's in this years draft that can be had in rounds 2-4 that could contribute next year. Jordan Matthews is big , sneaky speed and very good route runner. Can give you yac.  Questions about top end , straight line speed.

Allen Robinson is another big guy with ok speed and some run after the catch ability. Again questions about his straight line speed.

Odell Beckham is a guy I really like. Great route runner , great hands , can run after the catch , shows toughness and will go over the middle and take a hit. Also can return punts and kicks. Can line up anywhere imo. 4.4 speed. Not ideal size but potential game changer. I think this kid could be a very productive player. Would love the Pats to grab him.

I think were set at RB for the most part. I've always been a Vereen guy. Nothing against Ridley but Vereen is something special. He can literally line up anymore, in any formation. Might be the best at running the wheel route. Might not have breakaway speed but has a great burst and explosion. He deserves 20+ touches a game imo. Bring in Ridley as the "change of pace" back. Or look elsewhere in the offseason. There are plenty of relitivly cheap options in the draft and free agengy.

As for the Oline I think its clear we need some help. Although Wendell has been servicable, I see him being out muscled and pushed around to often. I fear he's just too small for the demanding position. Truth is you can point to everyone on the line this year at some time or other. For the most part I would focus on collecting some depth. This is a pretty deep draft overall and the oline position is no different. Again Id look to upgrade the C position and possible G spot. Some guys Id look at.

Antonio Richardson OT. 66/330. Has it all size, strength, balence, athleticism etc. Looks the part. Good quickness. Can slide and move laterally. Has the ability to be a mean run blocker and get down the field. And very good in pass pro. He needs to be coached up and work on his technique.

James Hurst OT. 66/305. Tons of potential here. Good size and quickness and great athleticism. Has the ability to get down the field blocking on running plays and short passes. And could one day be a guy you leave on his own. Needs to work on his technique and add a little muscle. Has the ability to be a very good player in this league.

Xavier Su'aFilo OG. 63/305. Has the ability to excell in run blocking and pass pro. Very good quickness and burst. Good hands and feet. Powerfully built. Shows versatility in drive blocking and zone blocking scheme. Needs to learn to play with more functional strength and use his leverage better.

Jonotthan Harrison C from Florida. 63/310 with size , strength and pretty decent speed. Plays with power and shows he has functional strength. Quick off the ball. Versatile and capable of kicking over to either guard spot. Showed hes capable of snapping under center and shotgun. I see him available in rounds 6-7 or possible fa.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Fidd,

Let me be the first person to respond to your first post. Welcome! BTW, nice post.

You brought up the possibility of bringing a big WR. I am not sure if you were thinking of that as a backfill solution for the void that Gronk leaves. IMO it does not. 

Gronk's value goes way beyond his receptions. His presence makes the offense more versatile and less predictable. As you say he is a tremendouse catching threat down the middle. However, I believe his real value is bigger during situations when they ahve to gain hard yards, and when they are in the RZ. He is practically a sixth OLman that really helps make the running game be effective. He is the difference between the Pats getting a TD and settling for FGs. A big receiver can bring some of that value, but nowhere near the value that Gronk brings.

But, since you brought up the notion that there are some good big receivers this year. There are many, actually - even on the third day. Some will go UD. Here is a partial list...

Allen Robinson / PSU / 6-3 / 204 / 97 recs / 1429 yds

Jordan Matthews / Vanderbilt / 6-3/ 205/ 112 / 1334

Brandon Wimberly / Nevada / 6-3 / 225 / 97 / 989

Mike Evans / TA&M / 6-5 / 225 / 65 / 716

Matt Miller / BSU / 6-3 / 218 / 77 / 934

Devante Davis / UNLV / 6-3 / 210 / 77 / 1194

Marcus Lucas / Mizzouri / 6-5 / 220 / 55 / 646

Devin Street / Pitt / 6-4 / 190 / 51 / 854

Jordan Taylor / Rice / 6-5 / 210 / 846