***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Thought process behind my draft priority:  

When DL was healthy, the difference Talib made on his side can't be denied.  I highly doudt he's able to get resigned, so a top quality CB is key.  A healthy but older DL coming back next year will help but seeing what Talib means to the D, a top CB is needed.  Will Ryan turn into one, he shows signs but has a ways to go. 

So here's priority (edited LOL mock went completely different):

CB 

DT

TE 

OG/OC type

S

Mock 

1st

C.J. Fiedorowicz Iowa TE 6'6" 265 lbs, not as agile as Gronk but similar ability to block and work the middle.

2nd 

Louchiez Purifoy Florida CB 6'0" 190 lbs, just wishful thinking, Purifoy will probably be a 1st rounder

3rd

Daniel McCullers Tenn. DT 6'6" 351 lbs, big strong a bit raw (but with VW and Kelly) he should improve.  More of run stuffer than pass rusher but can colapse the pocket, constantly 2nd and triple team in college.

4th

Rob Blanchflower UMass TE 6'4" 260 lbs nothing else to get a local kid, but overall he's a poor man's AH.  Not as fast or polished but has similar skills and a much better blocker.  With Pats TEs on contract year, two might just be on the cards.

6th

Jon Halapio Florida OG 6'3" 320 lbs excellent run blocker who is known as a finisher, needs to improve technic but who better in the league at teaching that.  Has a nasty attitude to him

6th 

Tyler Gaffney RB 6'0" 221 lbs old fashion style runner, with a good burst not burner speed. Took off a year to play baseball and had a break out year this year, so that's why I think he'll be around later than some might expect.    

7th

Lawrence Virgil DT/DE Valdosta State 6'5" 290 lbs Usually like adding a little Georgia unknown, this is a kid who could develop into a good inside rusher.  Just throwing a name out most probably have never heard off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fidd,

Let me be the first person to respond to your first post. Welcome! BTW, nice post.

You brought up the possibility of bringing a big WR. I am not sure if you were thinking of that as a backfill solution for the void that Gronk leaves. IMO it does not. 

Gronk's value goes way beyond his receptions. His presence makes the offense more versatile and less predictable. As you say he is a tremendouse catching threat down the middle. However, I believe his real value is bigger during situations when they ahve to gain hard yards, and when they are in the RZ. He is practically a sixth OLman that really helps make the running game be effective. He is the difference between the Pats getting a TD and settling for FGs. A big receiver can bring some of that value, but nowhere near the value that Gronk brings.

But, since you brought up the notion that there are some good big receivers this year. There are many, actually - even on the third day. Some will go UD. Here is a partial list...

Allen Robinson / PSU / 6-3 / 204 / 97 recs / 1429 yds

Jordan Matthews / Vanderbilt / 6-3/ 205/ 112 / 1334

Brandon Wimberly / Nevada / 6-3 / 225 / 97 / 989

Mike Evans / TA&M / 6-5 / 225 / 65 / 716

Matt Miller / BSU / 6-3 / 218 / 77 / 934

Devante Davis / UNLV / 6-3 / 210 / 77 / 1194

Marcus Lucas / Mizzouri / 6-5 / 220 / 55 / 646

Devin Street / Pitt / 6-4 / 190 / 51 / 854

Jordan Taylor / Rice / 6-5 / 210 / 846

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Mark Harrison 6'3" 231. He is already signed but will only be available next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

My current priorities list for the Pats (FA and draft are related so it is best to link them):

1. CB if they DO NOT resiign Tallib. If they do move this to #6

2. C - this is equal in need to DT or maybe even second to DT BUT.. BUT you MUST protect TB and the running game will also improve with an real upgrade at C (and RG)

3. DT/NT - looking for a replacement STARTER to Vinny. Hopefully7 this guy will play a few years with Vinny (and Kelly) too

4. TE - Looking for a real starter. Even if Gronk comes back strong this is a good thing to have

5. SS - this only if we can upgrade. Not so much a depth issue

6. G - we need to be better than Connolly who is a great guy off the bench but not a full time starter. Plus Mankins is getting older so we will soon need more inside anyway.

X factor: a real find at C, G, DT, DE, or LB would be great regardless of what esle we do on this list.

Note I do not list WR or RB. I think the three rookie WRs are going to be good. Plus Danny and Julian. We have 5 with long term quality. As for RB we have 4 good ones. Ridley needs to learn to not fumble. But we have a very good stable with lots of complementary talents

I do not list QB but if you find TB's successor you take him and give him 3 full years on the bench. 4 if Brady keeps going... Will TB really want to do 5 or more??? and will he be effective? I think now you do start seriously considering who it will be but you do not forgo the real current needss of this team...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

[QUOTE]

Fidd,

Let me be the first person to respond to your first post. Welcome! BTW, nice post.

You brought up the possibility of bringing a big WR. I am not sure if you were thinking of that as a backfill solution for the void that Gronk leaves. IMO it does not. 

Gronk's value goes way beyond his receptions. His presence makes the offense more versatile and less predictable. As you say he is a tremendouse catching threat down the middle. However, I believe his real value is bigger during situations when they ahve to gain hard yards, and when they are in the RZ. He is practically a sixth OLman that really helps make the running game be effective. He is the difference between the Pats getting a TD and settling for FGs. A big receiver can bring some of that value, but nowhere near the value that Gronk brings.

But, since you brought up the notion that there are some good big receivers this year. There are many, actually - even on the third day. Some will go UD. Here is a partial list...

Allen Robinson / PSU / 6-3 / 204 / 97 recs / 1429 yds

Jordan Matthews / Vanderbilt / 6-3/ 205/ 112 / 1334

Brandon Wimberly / Nevada / 6-3 / 225 / 97 / 989

Mike Evans / TA&M / 6-5 / 225 / 65 / 716

Matt Miller / BSU / 6-3 / 218 / 77 / 934

Devante Davis / UNLV / 6-3 / 210 / 77 / 1194

Marcus Lucas / Mizzouri / 6-5 / 220 / 55 / 646

Devin Street / Pitt / 6-4 / 190 / 51 / 854

Jordan Taylor / Rice / 6-5 / 210 / 846

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome! Appreciate it!

Obviously I was only focusing on the O, minus the QB position. As we all know this team has pressing issues that extend to both sides of the ball. Sticking with O, I absolutely agree with you, in terms of filling Gronks void. Another big WR just doesnt cut imo. I was leaning more towards more depth for that position, maybe a back up for Dobson. And as you pointed out there are many big WRs out there that can be had in the mid-late and even udfa. Matthews is smart, excellant route runner with some yac ability. I'm also a fan of Beckham from LSU. This kid jumps off the screen when you watch. Someone who plays a lot faster in game. I am also a Harrison fan and hopes he gets a real shot. I think he provides much more upside than K.T. as of right now. You also have FA and I pointed out that at least imo, there are a few guys that wont break the bank that could really help. Tate is one of the them. I really cant see someone giving him a big deal. And again I would try to resign Edelman. He knows the system, can produce and is very versatile. Anyway I think the WR position can be fixed without too much worry.

As for the TE position I agree with you and many other Pats fans. Its crucial to this teams success at this point in time. There is getting another big WR or trying to fill the void without directly addressing the poistion itself. The draft is pretty much a crap shoot imo. Its very rare when you have some cant miss guys. Not saying A.S.J. is one of those guys, but hes a very safe pick with tons of upside. Hes the most complete TE to come out since Gronk and in this system, with this QB, I see him putting up very similer numbers. I see him coming out as a rookie and putting up better numbers than Gronks rookie year. With Brady I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him put up 60/850-950/10. Hes as a complete TE and football player as your going to get in the first round or early second which would be a big surprise if he fell that far. Running a successful 2 TE package creates so many mismatches for an opposing D. From a creativity and scheme perspective it forces you to account, defend and anticipate for so many different looks. I touched on the effect it has on an opposing S. Where he no longer can just camp out in the box or close to the los. He has to step back which opens up the running game and short passing game. It also takes that S responsible for covering the TE away from playing so far over the top, which helps a guy like Dobson. Jenkins has some trouble sustaining his blocks but I dont see it as a glaring weakness. Something that can be fixed with the right staff, which I think we have. He'll come right in and be that "6th" olineman as you referred to Gronk. Hes the only 3 down TE in the draft imo. At least early on I suspect. I love this kid. Really like the other guys I mentioned too. Their just not as NFL ready as Jenkins, but maybe have a higher ceiling. Anyway you put it we need to get someone in here that can stay healthy. Every single time Gronk plays I worry about injury. We need a guy we can count on when the real football is played. In Jan.

I would have no problem with this team selecting a TE in the first round. Even moving up a few spots for one of the top tier guys. And Im all for picking up Colt after the 4th round. Coach Bill eats scandels for breakfast and I have a lot faith in him handling that situation. Also Ive read somewhere that Chip Kelly would pick him up if he could. If Kelly would after knowing and coaching this kid for years. That gives me a lot more confidence in the pick. Kelly hasnt been in Phila long but I think he understands what its like to coach there. Theres not a lot of room for error there without the fanbase turning on you. He knows he cant afford to make a mistake like that. You just arnt going to find many guys that are 65/245 and run a 4.4-low4.5. If he gets his head out of his butt he makes millions tearing up the middle of the field. I can certainly understand other fans passing though. Pats fans are a serious bunch that understands what it takes to win. And distractions are not welcome here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

These are the players signed for next year:(overthecap.com) Sorry for the long paste

What can we afford as far as improvements: this picture will change once we hit the FA period as always

Which method do we use FA or draft?  Some of the FA choices could be resigning players with their contracts up this year. If that "need" is resolved in FA then the "need" drops in importance.

1. We need a CB  Talib (FA) or Draft

2. We need (2-3) TEs  1(FA) and 1 in Draft. Gronk is the only one signed, but on IR

3. We need 2 DTs  1 in the Draft and 1in FA. Wilfork and Kelly may not be ready and age.

4. We need a LB 1 in Draft or FA.  Spikes and Fletcher contracts are up

4. Do we need a G? Do we have one on the roster? 1 in Draft

5. We have S  A. Wilson still on the books -release 1 in FA.

6. WR 1 draft or FA

CB

Kyle Arrington

CB

Devin McCourty

CB

Logan Ryan

CB

Alfonzo Dennard

DE

Rob Ninkovich

DE

Chandler Jones

DE

Jake Bequette

DE

Michael Buchanan

DT

Vince Wilfork

DT

Isaac Sopoaga

DT

Tommy Kelly

DT

Sealver Siliga

DT

Cory Grissom

DT

Armon Armstead

DT

Chris Jones

DT

Joe Vellano

K

Stephen Gostkowski

LB

Donta Hightower

LB

Jamie Collins

LB

Chris White

LB

Steve Beauharnais

LB

Jerod Mayo

OG

Logan Mankins

OG

Dan Connolly

OG

Chris Barker

OG

Josh Kline

OT

Sebastian Vollmer

OT

Nate Solder

OT

Marcus Cannon

OT

Markus Zusevics

OT

Brice Schwab

P

Ryan Allen

QB

Tom Brady

QB

Ryan Mallett

RB

Shane Vereen

RB

Stevan Ridley

RB

Brandon Bolden

RB

James Develin

S

Steve Gregory

S

Tavon Wilson

S

Duron Harmon

S

Adrian Wilson

ST/WR

Matt Slater

ST/S

Nate Ebner

TE

Rob Gronkowski

WR

Danny Amendola

WR

Aaron Dobson

WR

Josh Boyce

WR

TJ Moe

WR

Kenbrell Thompkins

WR

Mark Harrison

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

To those looking to add a WR I think Thompkins will be a very good all around WR. NOt great at any one thing but very good and very effective once he is fully on the same page with TB. Once he is really in sync with TB he could be Dieon like in his play. ALso, Boyce has the speed to stretch the field and good open field moves. Dangerous. Once he is in sync.... And then Dobson, pretty fair speed, nice size, nice hands when his head is on straight. As with the first two, when he is in sync with TB he will be very effective.

Remember the magazine article BEFORE Branch was SB MVP - it was the three WRs,,, who was Beady's best target... Branch, Givens, Brown...    This group could be more dangerous.

And then add Julian and Danny and you do not need a sixth. 

So I would focus on other positions:

On offense #1 need is C. TE is a close 2nd (and I wont complain much if you want to switch them but I still belive you build O and D from the line back... and we MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE QB). After C and TE I say RG.

On defense #1 need is DT/NT unless we do not resign Talib. Then it is CB then DT/NT. After that we could use upgrades at some spots more than depth. Certainly at SS. A stud anywhere in the front 7 is always a big deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With regards to CB, I do think we lose Talib but I'd prefer to replace him via FA. Dennard is good but Ryan might hit the sophmore curse and I don't want to see another rook or Arrington on the outside so CB in the draft is a lower priority (provided they target a vet via FA)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Keeping the TE theme going here is another drafatable TE.

#82    ALEX BAYER/TE/BOWLING GREEN/6’5/250  DRAFTABLE/LATE

BAYER played a key role in the destruction of NIU in the MAC Conference championship game. He caught 7 balls for 124 yards and 1 TD. He seemed to slip effortless past the NIU front seven for 5 to 20 yard gains. BAYER is a traditional in-line TE who blocks more than he runs routes. He’s not a bulldozer, but he can battle with DE as well as LB and move the line of scrimmage.lHe’s no VERNON DAVIS, but he can get downfield a way and catches nicely with his hands. He was not a guy I had targeted for watching in the MAC Championship, but he literally caught my eye by the end of the 1st Quarter. He can also run with the ball a bit after the catch. BAYER could make a nice No. 3, or even No. 2 TE on the right team. I see no reason his name won‘t be called in the 5th to 7th Round come May.

http://www.pigskinpaul.com/Pigskin_Pauls_Place/Home/Entries/2013/12/10_2013_WHO_CAUGHT_MY_EYE.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Here's my positions of need going into the offseason

DT                    Even if Fork and Kelly come back they'll be closer to AARP than Pro Bowl. A                             legit 1st round stud at DT allows BB go go back to his scheming. How good                           would a Sheldon Richardson look on this D going forward

Coverage LB    Back when you were allowed to maul TE's and they weren't 6'4 plus running                         as fast as Wr's, NE's slow but well postioned LB's were never                                                 exposed.....Well  they are naked as hell now......Collins and Buchanan are a                           start but we need speed over the middle of the field...SEE                                                       49ers/ Seahawks

O Line              Pick the weakest link on our O and you'll find it residing on our O line. Dante                           has been amazing over the last few years but the lack of overall talent on                             that  line is starting to show. 

Receiving TE    Gronk is more injury prone than Amendola and AH is well.................

DBS                 I would prefer another solid man cover corner as Talib's injuries and glimpses                        of his mecurial nature start to show...   An enforcer at safety wouldnt make                            me mad either....

Love your thread MB one of the only ones that doesn't get jacked but trolls and fools. You know the college players way more than I so if you could go by my rankings and fill in some names for me to watch during bowls that would be greatly appreciated......Helmet

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 53 Board:

Rd 1

OT/OG- Zack Martin- ND

CB- Justin Gilbert- Oklahoma State

OLB- Kyle Van Noy- BYU

DT- Ego Ferguson- LSU

CB/S- Kyle Fuller- VT

OG- David Yankey- Stanford

Rd 1-2

CB- Darqueze Dennard- Michigan State

CB- Bradley Roby- OSU

DT- Timmy Jernigan- FSU

DT- Dominique Easley- Florida

Rd 2

DT- Kelcy Quarles- South Carolina

ILB- Shayne Skov- Stanford

DT- DaQuan Jones- PSU

ILB- AJ Johnson- Tennessee

S- Craig Loston- LSU

WR/TE- Kelvin Benjamin- FSU *Added 12/11/13*

WR- Jarvis Landry- LSU *Added 11/30/13*

DT- Ra'shede Hageman- Minnesota

LB- Adrian Hubbard- Alabama *Added 12/11/13*

LB- Carl Bradford- ASU *Added 12/11/13*

OG- Xavier Su’a-Filo- UCLA * Added 12/7/13*

S- Ed Reynolds- Stanford

OG- Anthony Steen- Alabama

Rd 2-3

QB- AJ McCarron- Alabama

S- Antone Exum- VT

S- Deone Bucannon- WSU

TE- Nick O’Leary- FSU *ADDED 12/11/13*

CB- EJ Gaines- Missouri

ILB- Yawin Smallwood- Uconn

Rd 3

TE- Arthur Lynch- Georgia

TE- CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa

WR- Jared Abbrederis- Wisconsin

QB- Aaron Murray- Georgia

DT- Danny Shelton- Washington

ILB- Chris Borland- Wisconsin

DT- Ed Stinson- Alabama

TE- Marcel Jensen- Fresno State

C/OG- Weston Richburg- Colorado State

C/OG- Bryan Stork- FSU *ADDED 12/11/13*

CB/S- Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska

Rd 4-7

S- Shamiel Gary- Oklahoma State

ILB- Max Bullough- Michigan State

S- Isaiah Lewis- Michigan State

DT- Tenny Palepoi- Utah *ADDED 12/11/13*

CB- Ciante Evans- Nebraska

DT- Beau Allen- Wisconsin

DT- Bruce Gaston- Purdue

RB- Tyler Gaffney- Stanford

ILB- Glenn Carson- PSU

QB- Kenny Guiton- OSU

QB- Bryn Renner- UNC

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU

CB- BJ Lowery- Iowa

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DT                    Even if Fork and Kelly come back they'll be closer to AARP than Pro Bowl. A                             legit 1st round stud at DT allows BB go go back to his scheming. How good                           would a Sheldon Richardson look on this D going forward

Coverage LB    Back when you were allowed to maul TE's and they weren't 6'4 plus running                         as fast as Wr's, NE's slow but well postioned LB's were never                                                 exposed.....Well  they are naked as hell now......Collins and Buchanan are a                           start but we need speed over the middle of the field...SEE                                                       49ers/ Seahawks

O Line              Pick the weakest link on our O and you'll find it residing on our O line. Dante                           has been amazing over the last few years but the lack of overall talent on                             that  line is starting to show. 

Receiving TE    Gronk is more injury prone than Amendola and AH is well.................

DBS                 I would prefer another solid man cover corner as Talib's injuries and glimpses                        of his mecurial nature start to show...   An enforcer at safety wouldnt make                            me mad either....

Love your thread MB one of the only ones that doesn't get jacked but trolls and fools. You know the college players way more than I so if you could go by my rankings and fill in some names for me to watch during bowls that would be greatly appreciated......Helmet

[/QUOTE]

Hey Helmet,

Yeah, feel pretty fortunate to have so many knowledgable posters on this thread... that are able to bring in ideas and debate without the rest of the nonsense, haha.

Just posted my updated Big 53 in the previos post, that'll give you a pretty good idea of what players I'm interested in and in what range.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Fidd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the TE position for this team is critical. Brady only had 7 comp's to his TE's when Gronk was gone early on. We have to be able to take advantage of one of Tom's biggest strengths. Taking advantage of the middle of the field with outs , hooks and seams. Who knows when Gronk will be back and how he'll look. I think the TE position is extremely valuable in this offense, with this QB. Brady's strongest attributes have always been his decision making , leadership, toughness, and accuracy on short/intermediate routes inside the numbers. Easily one of the best ever at manipulating backers and S's. Getting him another legit TE as a weapon is pressing concern. I really think there are a few guys in this years draft that could be special.

Austin Seferian Jenkins is the most complete in this years or any recent draft imho. I guy that can be an inline blocker and elite recieving threat. He's a 3 down player. He's very athletic , with some very good agility for a guy his size 66/260. I could see him catching many TD's from Brady on that seam route that 12-87 connect on so often. He's my favorite and the best TE imo. He's a guy that will also help out the running game by keep S's back and opening up the 2nd level against backers. For a big guy he some pretty good burst off the line. And again shows good straight line speed on seam routes. I'd love to see Scar work with him with oline. Sometimes he cant sustain a block as long as he should. Overall though he's more than solid in both the running and passing game.

Eric Ebron might be the best recieving tight end in this years draft. Very nice body control , knows how to use his size/strength 64/250 to position himself , agile , good route runner , good burst and plays with toughness. Toughness that he use and that will help him get better blocking on the line and at the poa. Needs to play with more discipline and focus. Has dropped a few balls. Needs to get better as a blocker to be a 3 down guy. With the right coaching , team he could be a very good , versatile player.

Jace Amaro. If Ebron's not the best recieving tight end , Amaro is. Big 65/255 , athletic , with soft hands. Run's in the 4.6's. He runs smooth , with toughness and it takes more than one guy to bring him down. He can line up anywhere as far as i'm concerned. Slot , inline , outside , h-back with potential to flex out. Has good balence. Good body control , balence and will go get the ball in the air. Some people have serious concerns on his ability to be an every down player and inline blocker. As an inline blocker I would agree, he's a bit of a project. But I have have seen him demosrtate the ability to block down the field and do it well. Might not be an every down player at first. Again get him with the right coaching and training staff.

Colt Lyerla is a wildcard. If he's even available. He has some off the fields issue to say the least. If he can straighten himself out he could be had in the 3-4th round easy. Some people don't even think he'll get drafted at all. He's 65/245 with low 4.5 speed. Despite his size he blocked inline and motion for the Ducks. Will line up anywhere. Inside , outside , backfield. Athletic with very good body control. Would kill the seam route that Brady and Gronk hook up on. Although again , has serious off the field issue.

Theres a couple other guys but these 4 stand out as potential game changers. Imo the first three are worthy of a first round pick and even worth trading up a few spots. 4-6. Especially A.S.J. This guy comes in and starts if we run our 2 TE O. A guy who is very good at a lot of things , with a high ceiling. If Colt is available and there in round 4 ,go for it.

As for the WR position I think we have a decent corp that could use an upgrade.

I think Dobson can be that outside the numbers guy we've been looking for. He's had a tough transition but was coming along as far as I'm concerned. He's big guy with the ability to seperate. And as far as I'm concerned , in terms of his hands. This year is an abberation. I watched this guy in college with some shaky play at QB make some very tough catches. People need to be more patient around here. He's still learning. He's just now learning to read a defense. He's learning what he can do and cant do. Where he fits in and what he's good at. I think he only gets better. 

I dont trust D.A. at all. None. This is a team that counts on their players in Jan. I'm worried about him walking down the street in July , nevermind be able to get through a full 16 game season. Great player when healthy. No doubt. Just cant count on him.

I say try to resign Edelman or make a play for Golden Tate. I really like both and think both are perfect for this offense. Also Sanders from Pitt would be a great fit. Decker might not have a huge market. I cant see someone giving him tons of bank. Might be worth a look. Also I'd give Boldin a look.

Also there's a ton of big WR's in this years draft that can be had in rounds 2-4 that could contribute next year. Jordan Matthews is big , sneaky speed and very good route runner. Can give you yac.  Questions about top end , straight line speed.

Allen Robinson is another big guy with ok speed and some run after the catch ability. Again questions about his straight line speed.

Odell Beckham is a guy I really like. Great route runner , great hands , can run after the catch , shows toughness and will go over the middle and take a hit. Also can return punts and kicks. Can line up anywhere imo. 4.4 speed. Not ideal size but potential game changer. I think this kid could be a very productive player. Would love the Pats to grab him.

I think were set at RB for the most part. I've always been a Vereen guy. Nothing against Ridley but Vereen is something special. He can literally line up anymore, in any formation. Might be the best at running the wheel route. Might not have breakaway speed but has a great burst and explosion. He deserves 20+ touches a game imo. Bring in Ridley as the "change of pace" back. Or look elsewhere in the offseason. There are plenty of relitivly cheap options in the draft and free agengy.

As for the Oline I think its clear we need some help. Although Wendell has been servicable, I see him being out muscled and pushed around to often. I fear he's just too small for the demanding position. Truth is you can point to everyone on the line this year at some time or other. For the most part I would focus on collecting some depth. This is a pretty deep draft overall and the oline position is no different. Again Id look to upgrade the C position and possible G spot. Some guys Id look at.

Antonio Richardson OT. 66/330. Has it all size, strength, balence, athleticism etc. Looks the part. Good quickness. Can slide and move laterally. Has the ability to be a mean run blocker and get down the field. And very good in pass pro. He needs to be coached up and work on his technique.

James Hurst OT. 66/305. Tons of potential here. Good size and quickness and great athleticism. Has the ability to get down the field blocking on running plays and short passes. And could one day be a guy you leave on his own. Needs to work on his technique and add a little muscle. Has the ability to be a very good player in this league.

Xavier Su'aFilo OG. 63/305. Has the ability to excell in run blocking and pass pro. Very good quickness and burst. Good hands and feet. Powerfully built. Shows versatility in drive blocking and zone blocking scheme. Needs to learn to play with more functional strength and use his leverage better.

Jonotthan Harrison C from Florida. 63/310 with size , strength and pretty decent speed. Plays with power and shows he has functional strength. Quick off the ball. Versatile and capable of kicking over to either guard spot. Showed hes capable of snapping under center and shotgun. I see him available in rounds 6-7 or possible fa.

[/QUOTE]

Fidd, welcome to the thread!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow... Louisville lost to UCF!

I caught UCF's last drive to win the game. UCF QB Blake Bortles (6'4", 230, Jr) looked really good. UCF gave up a 4-pt lead with 3 mins to go. Bortles rose to the occasion, making really crisp throws in clutch conditions. I did not have this kid on my radar. I don't think he was on anyone's. He's on mine now.

The other kid who shined on that last drive was the receiver, Josh Reese (6'0", 184, Jr). The kid ran really nice routes, was solid catching and got some YAC to help his team win the game. He looks strong in traffic. He could turn heads if he can gain 10 lbs and keep his speed.

[/QUOTE]

Prospect Review: UCF QB Blake Bortles  

Is Blake Bortles a dark horse candidate to go in Round 1? (Photo: US Presswire)

By Marc Sluis, Staff Writer NEPATRIOTSDRAFT

The quarterback position is not just the most influential position as far as affecting wins and losses likely in all of sports. It’s also one of the toughest positions to evaluate, scout and project to the next level. Blake Bortles of UCF has everything one would look for in a quarterback prospect, but like all young signal callers has flaws as well. Let’s take a closer look at a few of his games this year and then wrap up with his overall strengths and weaknesses.

Blake Bortles, UCF – QB

6’4 230

Strengths: Bortles has a big, strong frame, which suggests he will be relatively durable. That strength coupled with his surprisingly quick feet helps him avoid sacks and make plays on the move. He does a terrific job of keeping his eyes down field and loses almost nothing throwing on the run to his right or left. I don’t think I’ve seen a right-handed quarterback throw better going to his left. The arm strength is there, and he can make NFL caliber throws. When his footwork is precise and he steps into his throws he can look elite. He’s shown flashes of making “window” throws and touch passes over defenders. He also has a model girlfriend for what that’s worth.

Weaknesses: His confidence and arm strength are definitely positives, but they also get him into trouble at times. He has a bad habit of leaning back when throwing instead of stepping into his throws. His deep ball is tough to gauge because most of his passes in the UCF offense are short bubble screens, slants and out routes rather than vertical routes. When asked to throw deep he’s had mixed result.

There are times he tries to force the ball into tight coverage or loses a defender underneath. While he’s a load to bring down and rarely is handled by a single defender, he could improve on getting the ball out earlier to avoid a collapsing pocket.

Final Thoughts: Bortles is a name to watch throughout the draft process. He has excellent size, feet, arm strength and has shown he can make all the throws. The test for him, and essentially every young quarterback, will be his decision making. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you turn it over. Bortles isn’t turnover prone but the interceptions are the only thing holding him back from a first round grade. That’s a lofty projection, but all the tools are there.

[/QUOTE]

JJ...

Believe it or not, some draft outlets have Bortles now graded as a late 1st, early second round prospect. He was not even being mentioned in any of the draft sites back when we first talked about him. Interesting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I caught UCF's last drive to win the game. UCF QB Blake Bortles (6'4", 230, Jr) looked really good. UCF gave up a 4-pt lead with 3 mins to go. Bortles rose to the occasion, making really crisp throws in clutch conditions. I did not have this kid on my radar. I don't think he was on anyone's. He's on mine now.

The other kid who shined on that last drive was the receiver, Josh Reese (6'0", 184, Jr). The kid ran really nice routes, was solid catching and got some YAC to help his team win the game. He looks strong in traffic. He could turn heads if he can gain 10 lbs and keep his speed.

[/QUOTE]

The quarterback position is not just the most influential position as far as affecting wins and losses likely in all of sports. It’s also one of the toughest positions to evaluate, scout and project to the next level. Blake Bortles of UCF has everything one would look for in a quarterback prospect, but like all young signal callers has flaws as well. Let’s take a closer look at a few of his games this year and then wrap up with his overall strengths and weaknesses.

Blake Bortles, UCF – QB

6’4 230

Strengths: Bortles has a big, strong frame, which suggests he will be relatively durable. That strength coupled with his surprisingly quick feet helps him avoid sacks and make plays on the move. He does a terrific job of keeping his eyes down field and loses almost nothing throwing on the run to his right or left. I don’t think I’ve seen a right-handed quarterback throw better going to his left. The arm strength is there, and he can make NFL caliber throws. When his footwork is precise and he steps into his throws he can look elite. He’s shown flashes of making “window” throws and touch passes over defenders. He also has a model girlfriend for what that’s worth.

Weaknesses: His confidence and arm strength are definitely positives, but they also get him into trouble at times. He has a bad habit of leaning back when throwing instead of stepping into his throws. His deep ball is tough to gauge because most of his passes in the UCF offense are short bubble screens, slants and out routes rather than vertical routes. When asked to throw deep he’s had mixed result.

There are times he tries to force the ball into tight coverage or loses a defender underneath. While he’s a load to bring down and rarely is handled by a single defender, he could improve on getting the ball out earlier to avoid a collapsing pocket.

Final Thoughts: Bortles is a name to watch throughout the draft process. He has excellent size, feet, arm strength and has shown he can make all the throws. The test for him, and essentially every young quarterback, will be his decision making. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you turn it over. Bortles isn’t turnover prone but the interceptions are the only thing holding him back from a first round grade. That’s a lofty projection, but all the tools are there.

[/QUOTE]

JJ...

Believe it or not, some draft outlets have Bortles now graded as a late 1st, early second round prospect. He was not even being mentioned in any of the draft sites back when we first talked about him. Interesting.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Seattle, he is climbing for sure.  Too bad because he would have been good for NE in th 3rd.

Seattle, MB

On a different subject have you seen any predictions on compensation picks.  The last thing I saw was some comment from NEPATRIOTSDRAFT predicting (2)  6th round picks and (1) 7th rd.  I think that would give us 10 picks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

JJ, I don't pay attention to comp picks until they are formally announced. Sorry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Helmet,

Yeah, feel pretty fortunate to have so many knowledgable posters on this thread... that are able to bring in ideas and debate without the rest of the nonsense, haha.

Just posted my updated Big 53 in the previos post, that'll give you a pretty good idea of what players I'm interested in and in what range.  

[/QUOTE]

Gracias............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NE will have some extra 6th and 7th rd picks so here was one of those IOWA LBs I like. I focused on Kirksey, but IOWA's 3 linebackers Kirksey, Morris and Hitchens could all be drafted.

Name: Christian Kirksey 
    College: Iowa     Number: 20
    Height: 6-2   Weight: 235 
    Position: OLB  Pos2: ILB
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2014
    40 Low: 4.59   40 Time: 4.72  40 High: 4.82 
    Projected Round: 5-6  Stock:     
    Rated number 13 out of 264 OLB's     186 / 3108 TOTAL

12/03/13 - 2014 NFL DRAFT, WEEK 14 STOCK REPORT, NFL PROSPECTS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES: LB Christian Kirksey, Iowa...The Hawkeyes' defense is full of overachieving prospects who lack ideal NFL traits, but they show enough to earn them a chance and some of them have the determination to stick. And Kirksey might be one of them. The senior had a terrific final game at Kinnick Stadium on Friday as he led Iowa over Nebraska. Kirksey finished with a team-best 11 tackles, 3.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sack and a forced fumble, earning several awards for his performance.

Listed at 6-2 and 235 pounds, he doesn't appear that big on the football field, but he plays bigger than he looks with the play speed and intensity needed for the position. Kirksey uses his eyes well to diagnose with an accurate first step and the range to make plays at all levels of the field. He is just one-third of a talented trio of Iowa linebackers and while James Morris and Anthony Hitchens receive most of the headlines, Kirksey is a prospect worth keeping track of as he makes the jump to the NFL. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Blake Bortles, UCF – QB

6’4 230

[/QUOTE]

JJ...

[/QUOTE]

Hey Seattle, he is climbing for sure.  Too bad because he would have been good for NE in th 3rd.

Seattle, MB

On a different subject have you seen any predictions on compensation picks.  The last thing I saw was some comment from NEPATRIOTSDRAFT predicting (2)  6th round picks and (1) 7th rd.  I think that would give us 10 picks.

[/QUOTE]

Wish I could give you more... I'll keep tracking and update if I see anything useful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

NE will have some extra 6th and 7th rd picks so here was one of those IOWA LBs I like. I focused on Kirksey, but IOWA's 3 linebackers Kirksey, Morris and Hitchens could all be drafted.

Name: Christian Kirksey 
    College: Iowa     Number: 20
    Height: 6-2   Weight: 235 
    Position: OLB  Pos2: ILB
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2014
    40 Low: 4.59   40 Time: 4.72  40 High: 4.82 
    Projected Round: 5-6  Stock:     
    Rated number 13 out of 264 OLB's     186 / 3108 TOTAL

[/QUOTE]

This is true we should be getting a couple late round comp picks, Kirksey wouldn't be a bad pickup at all.

For those late round here's a couple people I've been tracking:

Andrew Miller, C, Virginia Tech 
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 293. 
    Projected 40 Time: 5.18. 
    Projected Round (2014): 6-FA. 

12/7/13: Miller had an impressive start to the season helping set up freshman Trey Edmunds to run for 132 yards against Alabama. Miller also played well against Georgia Tech and North Carolina. He was named the ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week for his performance against the Yellow Jackets. Miller was solid against Miami. 

Alex Bullard, G/C, Tennessee 
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 302. 
    Projected 40 Time: 5.30. 
    Projected Round (2014): 5-7. 

12/7/13: Bullard played well for Tennessee this season at left guard. Overall, he has been effective as a pass-blocker. Bullard has some athleticism and should maybe move to center in the NFL. He had six starts as a sophomore in 2011 to go along with six starts at left guard. Bullard lost his starting spot last year, but is back in the starting lineup in 2013 with Dallas Thomas in the NFL. In 2009, Bullard was a backup at Notre Dame

Aundrey Walker*, OT/G, USC 
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 300. 
    Projected 40 Time: 5.18. 

12/7/13: The Trojans moved Walker inside to guard for 2013. That appears to have paid off as Walker looks improved this season. However he ended the year with a broken ankle against UCLA. Walker should return to USC in 2013. 

Chris Coyle, TE, Arizona State 
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 222. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.63. 

11/23/13: Coyle has contributed as a receiver to the Sun Devils' offense with 18 receptions for 302 yards and three touchdowns. He is a tweener for the NFL. 

Ben Malena, RB, Texas A&M 
    Height: 5-8. Weight: 195. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54. 

11/23/13: The Aggies spread their rushing attempts around, but Malena has 476 yards on the ground with an average of 4.9 yards per carry and nine touchdowns. He has snagged 19 passes for 179 yards and a score as well. 

Silas Redd, RB, USC 
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 200. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.53. 
    Projected Round (2013): 5-7. 

11/23/13: Redd had a minor procedure on his left knee just before the start of the season that caused him to miss the first five games. Since returning to the lineup he has 351 yards on 76 carries with a touchdown and 10 receptions for 45 yards. Redd played well against Notre Dame (19-112). He had a knee injury against Califonir and was held out against Stanford. 

Kerry Hyder, DT, Texas Tech 
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 281. 
    Projected 40 Time: 5.05. 

11/16/13: Hyder has played well this season for the Red Raiders with 47 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and two sacks. 

8/10/13: Hyder was a First-Team All-Big XII selection in 2012 and had good production for the Red Raiders. He totaled 56 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks and four passes batted. Hyder broke into the starting lineup as a sophomore in 2011 and had 42 tackles with five tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. 

Aaron Lynch**, DE, South Florida 
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 262. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74. 

11/16/13: Lynch has been a huge disappointment in 2013. He hasn't been the same force that he was at Notre Dame as a freshman. Lynch has only 18 tackles with one sack. 

8/12/13: The Notre Dame transfer was forced to sit out the 2012 season, but he may only need one more season of college to prove that he is a first-round prospect. Lynch played really well for Notre Dame in 2011 as freshman, recording 33 tackles, seven tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Lynch was just scratching the surface of his talent. 

Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane 
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 190. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.61. 

11/23/13: Grant has picked up where 2012 left off with 60 receptions for 777 yards and seven touchdowns. 

Alex Neutz, WR, Buffalo 
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 205. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54. 

11/23/13: Neutz has played well in 2013 with 52 receptions for 881 yards with 11 touchdowns. Early in the season, the senior was impressive against Ohio State (9-98-1) and Baylor (6-197-1). Neutz had 65 catches for 1,015 yards with 11 touchdowns last year. 

Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt 
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 205. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.58. 

11/9/13: Ladler had some rough moments in Vanderbilt's season-opening loss to Ole Miss. He's been otherwise solid as a senior. Ladler has 68 tackles, four forced fumbles with two interceptions and a pass broken up in 2013. He had two forced fumbles and an interception against Texas A&M. Sources have indicated that Ladler is looking like a late-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Ciante Evans, CB, Nebraska 
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 185. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49. 

11/9/13: Evans started the season strongly with three interceptions in two games against Wyoming and Southern Miss. He has four passes broken up and 27 tackles to go along with those three interceptions in 2013. 

Sean Mannion*, QB, Oregon State 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 214. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.76. 
    Projected Round (2014): 3-5. 

11/23/13: Mannion has been lighting up defenses this year with wide receiver Brandin Cooks. Mannion has five games of throwing for more than 400 yards this season. He has completed 68 percent of his passes for 3,860 yards with 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Mannion didn't play as well against Stanford, the best defense he has faced in 2013. The junior also had poor performances in losses to USC and Arizona State with seven interceptions in those two games. Mannion should return for his senior year. 

Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina 
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.76. 

11/23/13: Renner has greatly missed Gio Bernard, Jonathan Cooper and Brennan Williams this year. North Carolina has disappointed overall and has struggled to develop consistency on offense. Renner completed 66 percent of his passes for 1,765 yards with 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. He missed the game against Virginia Tech before coming back for two games. Renner's season is over due to a shoulder injury. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If what Brandt says comes true, a very good player will drop to NE.

13 NFL teams positioned to draft quarterback in 2014
    • By Gil Brandt
    • NFL Media senior analyst
    • Published: Dec. 10, 2013 at 04:58 p.m.
    • Updated: Dec. 12, 2013 at 03:40 a.m.

There have been 48 quarterbacks to start in the NFL this season, including a pair -- Matt Flynn and Josh Freeman -- who have started for two teams. That's one more than all of last year.

Pretty amazing stat when you think about it. Stability at the quarterback position has been absent for several years now in the NFL. Impatient owners. Coaches trying to save their jobs. Injuries.

Did we mention injuries?

Quarterbacks are like left-handers in baseball -- teams can never have enough of them. The numbers are there; emphasis of early development at the high-school level has increased the pool in recent years. But quality remains an issue.

Take the 2011 NFL Draft, in which four quarterbacks -- Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder -- were taken inside the top 12 picks. Two years later, three of the teams that selected them are looking for replacements.

And this year? Pretty good depth in the pool; I'm just not sure how many will still be swimming two years from now.

At this point, and it's early, here's how I see the top three tiers of potential quarterbacks in this upcoming draft:

Tier 1: Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, and Fresno State's Derek Carr. Bridgewater and Manziel are underclassmen but have given every indication they are coming out early. In my opinion, all three have an above-average chance of going in the top 10.

Tier 2: Alabama's AJ McCarron, Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo, Georgia's Aaron Murray (torn ACL but could be a late steal), Clemson's Tajh Boyd, San Jose State's David Fales and LSU's Zach Mettenberger (ACL tear).

Tier 3: Missouri's James Franklin, Ball State's Keith Wenning, Cornell's Jeff Matthews, Miami's Stephen Morris, TCU's Casey Pachall (great arm, suspended last year), Nebraska's Taylor Martinez, Northern Illinois' Jordan Lynch (reminds me of Roger Staubach at Navy -- competitive, good runner, but doesn't throw the greatest ball).

(These lists would change if underclassmen like UCLA's Brett Hundley and Central Florida's Blake Bortles decide to enter the draft, but both remain undecided.)

So while we can argue all day about the quality of this quarterback class, the numbers will be there, and there will be no shortage of teams snatching them up in the draft. I've created two categories of teams that need to address their QB situations next May: "must-have" and "depth collection."

Must-have

New York Jets: Geno Smith wasn't the answer for the Jets this season. The question is, will he ever be the answer? I don't think one year is enough to get a true evaluation on a player, especially a quarterback, but teams are impatient these days. They feel they can't afford to spend two to three years trying to figure it out, especially in New York. The Jetsare a middling 6-7 and might not be in position to take one of the top guys.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Blaine Gabbert is healthy, and the Jaguars are still not playing him. That should tell you everything about whether he fits into the team's long-term plans. Chad Henne is a nice backup but has limitations as a full-time starter. It's a bit unfair to judge how he has done this season, because the Jaguars lack talent around him.

Cleveland Browns: The Browns have been getting some production out of Jason Campbell, but Josh Gordon can make a lot of quarterbacks look good. Campbell is more than serviceable as a backup and replacement starter. He shouldn't be seen as more than that in Cleveland or anywhere else. Only four teams currently have a worse record than the Browns, so they could be drafting pretty high.

Oakland Raiders: Like Cleveland, the Raiders are heading for a top-10 pick. Matt McGloin and Terrelle Pryor aren't long-term answers, but the draft could provide it. So could free agency, where the Raiders are expected to have somewhere between $40 million to $50 million in cap money to spend. If they address quarterback there, other holes could be filled in the draft by trading down to acquire additional picks, like the Raiders did last year.

Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings could be looking at a top-five pick when all is said and done. Ponder has been OK, but can he take a team to the playoffs? I'm not sure. And I can't figure the Josh Freeman thing out. He's been active for only one game; why isn't he playing? It seems that neither have starting futures in Minnesota. All three of my Tier 1 QBs would be upgrades.

Tennessee Titans: Jake Locker is, as they say, what he is. He will always look good in practice but lacks consistency in games. In high school and at Washington, under new USC coach Steve Sarkisian, he was never a terribly accurate passer, and that trend has followed him into the NFL. I think the Titans need to go get themselves another quarterback for the future.

Houston Texans: Matt Schaub has no future in Houston, and Case Keenum, no matter what owner Bob McNair says, shouldn't be viewed as more than a capable (and cheap) backup and spot starter. I think they'll end up with the No. 1 overall draft pick, and they'll have their choice of quarterbacks.

Depth collection

St. Louis Rams: The Rams own Washington's first-round pick, which is looking better and better each week. I don't think they would take a quarterback in the first round, especially as high as they'll be drafting. Maybe the second or third round. They'll be looking to groom someone behind Sam Bradford.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Personally, I'm a little surprised by how well Mike Glennon has played as a rookie. He might be the answer. I saw a guy who wasn't very accurate, especially to his left. I also had questions about his athletic ability, but he has shown surprising athleticism. Even if the Bucs think Glennon is their guy, they still need a backup.

Atlanta Falcons: This is pretty simple: Matt Ryan doesn't have a backup, and the Falcons don't have someone to groom behind their starter.

Green Bay Packers: We found out pretty quickly the Packers didn't have anyone behind Aaron Rodgers, and they're paying a dear price. Historically, when guys get hurt, it continues. I hope that's not the case here, but the Packers have to protect themselves in the short- and long-term.

San Diego Chargers: Philip Rivers has had a resurgent year, but he turned 32 on Sunday, and the Chargers really have no one they're grooming. Now's the time to think about the future.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger has two more years left on a contract that puts a $19 million hit on theSteelers' cap next year. Is Ben going to give Pittsburgh the hometown discount like Tom Brady did? It's a big question that might get some answers in the upcoming draft.

Follow Gil Brandt on Twitter @Gil_Brandt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Exactly what I have been saying about the QB draft, JJ. The big question for the Pats is two-fold:

1)  How the QB-needy teams will behave in the draft. On the surface, it looks like this is a year when there would be a surplus of good QBs. And that's even after Brandt misssed mentioning Mannion.

2) How does NWE take advantage of the situation.

Ultimately, I think, teams will be targeting a type of QB that they think is perfect for their system. At one level, they will be choosing between the more conventional QB type (Carr, Mannion, McCarron, Murray, Mettenberger), or the QB who runs a lot (Bridgewater, Manziel, Hundley, Boyd, Fales, etc.). After the interviews, teams will want a specific QB that fits their preferred style.

I think after the first tier of QBs get taken, there will be a lot of gamesmanship happening. I anticipate that a lot of teams will want to trade for NWE's late first round pick (or any other team's late first round pick). I think this a year where NWE can afford to trade down to where the real value of the draft is (even for DT), and get a lot of picks in exchange.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pretty much what I've been saying about the QB's too. No need to get one this year because we'll end up bottom on the tier level when all is said and done but players at TE or DT could end up falling into our laps. Also there is a good amount of higher tier CB's in this draft too so I wouldn't be shocked to see over a 3rd the first round going to QB's and CB's exclusively.

They can take advantage a couple different ways:

1) Moving back to let someone move up to get a QB (think when Den moved up for Tebow). Something I wouldn't recommend given the complete lack of depth and they will have to manage the cap a bit tighter this year.

2) Move up and grab a top end player. Something I endorse as I think someone who would normally be a top 15 type of player might drop to the mid 20's at which point the Pats should move up to get them. Even if it costs them a 3rd and 6th to do.

3) Sit where they are and hope someone falls. I'm not in favor of this tactic but will give the thumbs up. I always say if a top end player is falling based solely on a run at another position you should move up to get them as I'm sure other teams would (esp in the back end of the round where teams don't need QB's). Personally I don't agree with BB that a player in the mid teens is about the same as one at the back of the round (coming from his comments on J. Jones vs Baldwin).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Seattle,

I know you have or had a lot of games on DVR... any feedback on Utah's DT Tenny Palepoi (6-2 300)?  From what I can gather, he's extremely explosive off the snap with outstanding movement ability, up the field and laterally and is excellent in pursuit.

Believe he's Star's replacement this season and has thrown up comparable #'s... 9.5 TFL/4.5 sacks vs. Star's 2012 season of 10/5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

nate,

Your boy Hyde is now in Kiper's Top 25 so we can probably forget about landing him in Rd 3 or 4.  At this point, I'd expect him to come off the board within the Top 64 if he keeps his nose clean.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good to see my boy Darqueze land on Kiper's Top 25... he was also inside the Top 20/25 on Rang/Brugler's mocks on CBS, so I can prob forget about landing him as a Rd 2 steal.   He remains my favorite player in this class and I think he's an option in Rd 1 if Talib doesn't return.