***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Declared Underclassmen TEs: www.draftbrowns.com

Xavier Grimble TE USC 6’5” 255 (Added 1/8/2014) – Rivals rated Grimble as the top tight end recruit in the country out of high school in 2010.  He redshirted during his first year on campus for the Trojans, and was a part time starter for the past three seasons.  The junior closes his college career with 69 catches for 730 yards and 11 touchdowns in 35 games.  Grimble was initially leaning toward returning for his senior season, and reportedly did not seek an evaluation from the NFL before changing course and declaring for the 2014 draft.

Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech 6’5” 257 (Added 1/2/2014) – Amaro’s first two years at Tech were clouded by on and off the field incidents.  He was arrested in March of 2012 for use of a fake ID and another player’s credit card, but was ultimately not charged.  Then he closed out the 2012 season by being ejected from the bowl game for fighting.  Amaro vowed to overcome the mistakes of his youth, and went on to complete the 2013 season without incident.  Along the way, he caught 106 passes for 1352 yards and seven touchdowns in 13 games.  Amaro plays the game like a big wide receiver – a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive coaches – but has the size and strength to develop into an effective blocker if he works at it.  He seemed to waver on his decision throughout the season, but in the end opted to move onto the pros.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins TE Washington 6’6” 276 (Added 12/30/2013) - Aside from catching a career-high eight touchdowns this past season, ASJ’s numbers dipped significantly.  But despite his modest receiving totals, he won the John Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end.  At the NFL level, Sefarian-Jenkins will serve more of a traditional role than than oversized receiver-types like Jimmy Graham and Jordan Cameron.  He has reportedly been given a second round grade by the NFL Draft Advisory committee, but teams will want to be sure that his March 2013 DUI arrest is a mere blip on the radar before spending a high pick on him. For more on ASJ click here.

Jake Murphy TE Utah 6’4” 252 (Added 12/30/2013) – The son of former Major League Baseball great Dale Murphy, the younger Murphy originally signed on to play at BYU.  However, upon returning from a Mormon mission in 2010, BYU no longer had a scholarship available for him.  Rather than delay the start to his college football career further, Murphy opted to attend Utah and play immediately.  In three seasons for the Utes he caught 63 passes for 830 yards and ten touchdowns.  He missed time this past season with a broken wrist, but closed out the year with his best two games as a collegian.  Murphy’s decision to turn pro was likely driven by the fact that he will turn 25 years old next September.  He is not expected to be an early pick but could still work his way into the later rounds with strong pre-draft showing.

Richard Rodgers TE California 6’4” 245 (Added 12/26/2013) – After tipping the scales at 278 pounds while recovering from injuries this past offseason, Rodgers became the target of some…well, tough love from Cal Offensive Coordinator Tony Franklin.  According to the coach, “I told (Rodgers) you will not play a down if you don’t (lose weight) because you’re slow and fat and out of shape and you can’t play.”  Rodgers cut candy out of his diet, dropped 30 pounds, and became a slot receiver in the Golden Bears’ offense.  He finished his junior season with 39 catches for 608 yards and a touchdown.  Rodgers decision may come as a slight surprise, but he likely received some solid advice, including from his father, who works as the Carolina Panthers’ special teams coach.  Draft insider Tony Pauline tweeted that some evaluators have second round grades on Rodgers, and that the tight end prospect has been compared to Antonio Gates.  Not too shabby.

Colt Lyerla TE Oregon 6’5” 245 – Lyerla’s name has been in the draft since he left Oregon early in the season.  From November: “Former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla presents the most interesting case.  He raised a slew of questions when he left Oregon, and details of a troubled past began to emerge.  Then, just a few weeks later, Lyerla was arrested for possession of cocaine.  He has already hired an agent, so there is no question he will enter the draft, but Lyerla will face a barrage of questions about drug use and his desire to play football from the few teams that haven’t already erased his name from their draft boards.  Lyerla needs to prove that he is contrite, motivated, and clean if he hopes to be drafted in May, and his handlers will be faced with a daunting sales job.”

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina 6’4” 245 – Ebron has a chance to be the first tight end drafted next spring after catching 95 passes for 1520 yards and seven touchdowns over the past two seasons.  Ebron finished the regular season with a five-catch 121-yard performance, just days after making his NFL intentions known.  He’ll have one more chance to impress against Cincinnati in the Belk Bowl.

A.C. Leonard TE Tennessee State 6’4” 245 – Just days after committing to the Florida Gators, Leonard, a four star tight end recruit, was suspended for the remainder of his senior season for fighting.  Once in college, Leonard left Florida prior to his sophomore season after pleading no contest to a battery charge that stemmed from an ugly domestic altercation with his girlfriend.  Leonard landed at Tennessee State where he caught 85 passes for 1174 yards and 11 touchdowns in 22 games.  He is reportedly considered a mid round talent by some scouts, but Leonard’s off the field issues will likely push him into the late rounds or priority free agency.

Mike Flacco TE New Haven 6’5” 245 (Added 1/8/2014) – Flacco played minor league baseball for several seaons before retiring in 2012.  He is a 26-year old sophomore tight end who caught 30 passes for 591 yards and nine touchdowns in 2013.  And yes, he is the brother of Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco.

[/QUOTE]

TEs this year are a very mixed bunch - they can be very different in playing style. When considering the prospects, I think closer attention should be how the playing style fits with what the team does, and what it wants to do.

Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech 6’5” 257 (Added 1/2/2014)

Saying that Amaro plays like a big wide receiver is an understatement. Over the 13 games this season, he almost always was lined up at the slot. On the few times that he was not playing off the slot, he was split wide more than he was next to the tackle.

The result of that playing style, can be seen in his reception numbers. As JJ mentioned: he caught 106 passes for 1352 yards and seven touchdowns in 13 games. Those numbers are off the charts for TEs. I am not sure if those numbers have ever been seen from a TE.

For context: He tied for 7th in catches overall (He caught more balls than Watkins and PSU's Robinson); 1352 yards was ranked 11th overall (300+ more yards than K Benjamin). Looking at top NFL TEs: On Gronk's best year in Arizona, he caught 47 for 672 yds and 10 TDs; Graham had 17 recs for 213 yds and 5 TDs; A Hernandez caught 68 for 850 yds and 5 TDs.

He's really a slot receiver, whose size, rather than quickness, is his mismatch driver. IMO, it will take him years to learn to be an inline, blocking TE. If a team is to take advantage of what he can bring, I think it just has to embrace what he has been in college.

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina 6’4” 245 

Ebron did quite have the gaudy numbers that Amaro had, but recorded ridiculous stats just the same. The way I would contrast Ebrons game vs Amaro is that he was moved around more. I don't have exact numbers, but on the three games that I saw NC play, I got the impression that he played more or less even number of snaps inline, slot and split wide. every now and then starts in the back.

I envision Ebron to play well in Hernandez's old role. This kid, however, is more athletic, perhaps faster and I believe has more reliable hands.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins TE Washington 6’6” 276 (Added 12/30/2013) -

Aside from catching a career-high eight touchdowns this past season, ASJ’s numbers dipped significantly. 

Nonetheless, his 2013 numbers (36 recs, 450 yds, 8 TDs) are better than most TEs in the NFL, including Graham. And he achieved that playing the more traditional role, lining up most of the time next the the OT.  His numbers in 2012 were comparable to Ebron's 2013 numbers (69, 852, 7).

Athletic, and probably the toughest of the bunch, the guy makes catching contested and wide balls look easy. In theory, this kid is the closest you can get to finding a college TE who will do what Gronk does for teh Pats.

The question mark on him has to do with passion for the game. On Washington's bowl, I noted on my review that he seemed to lack fire. I used the words "looking like he takes plays off". Interestingly, MB had been noticing it as well.

C J Fiederowicz TE Iowa 6’6” 276

Obviously similar body type to Gronk. When running a route, more than some times, he looks like Gronk. However, for a long time, I could not help but feel there was something wrong with his game. It took me until the bowl (third Iowa game I watched) to notice that eventhough he lines up a lot next to the T, he either blocks or run routes. He does not pretend to block when running routes - meaning, the opponent does not have to figure out what Iowa is trying to do. Fixable? IDK. I would think so. CJ is supposed to be available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

Some see CJ as the best receiving threat among TEs not named Amaro/Ebron/ASJ. His numbers (30, 299, 6). do not necessarily say that. Granted, he ahd better numbers in 2012 (45, 433, 1) Also, I believe CJ is very similar to Colorado State's Crockett Gillmore, who will be avilable in the sixth round.

Arthur Lynch TE Georgia 6'6", 254

Lynch IMO is in the same mold as ASJ, albeit slightly smaller. A lot of draft experts and enthusiasts bucket Lynch as mainly a blocking TE. He definitely is among the best inline blocking TEs. Yet, his catch numbers (30, 459, 5) were arguably better than CJ's this year. Lynch is the poor man's ASJ.

Jake Murphy TE Utah 6’4” 252 (Added 12/30/2013) – I did not notice this kid's game. I watched a couple of Utah games, but was paying attention to other people and this kid did not necessarily stand out. I am not saying he is bad. I just did not notice.

Richard Rodgers TE California 6’4” 245 (Added 12/26/2013) –

I watched 2 Cal games to see Coleman, their DT. Along the way, I got to see the offense. He's been used by Cal as a Flex TE. He lined up as RB more frequently than I've seen any other TE in college. He was effective in that role (39, 608, 1). That said, he looks slow even for a TE. Maybe it had something to do with his injury.

Xavier Grimble TE USC 6’5” 255 (Added 1/8/2014)

Not much to add to what was written above. Unlike Murphy, I did notice Grimble when I watched a couple of USC games. Low key, but does a lot of good teams. USC did not use him as much as Lynch or the other TEs, but did his role when he was on the field.

Nick O'Leary TE Florida State 6’3” 248 (Added 1/8/2014)

I have seen someone write here that he is a one of the better receiving threats among the TEs; another said he might be too small to play inline. I think both comments are not entirely true.

Size-wise, he is comparable to Dallas Clark. As a receiver, his best receiving season (33, 557, 7) is just comparable to those of the better TEs not named Amaro/ Ebron/ ASJ. However, the 7 TDs stands out.

IMO a good TE pick, in the third round.

Colt Lyerla TE Oregon 6’5” 245

After the Hernandez experience, I don't think BB will want another kid with potential to be as distracting.

A.C. Leonard TE Tennessee State 6’4” 245

Since I have not seen this kid play, I can't comment

Mike Flacco TE New Haven 6’5” 245 (Added 1/8/2014)

I have not seen this kid play either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sorry, for not deleting the text on JJ's post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

thanks for the TE run down... several good prospects. After C, RG and DT I say this is our greatest need. If a stud is available at TE in round 1 and you can get a relatively similar talent at C or DT, etc then go for the stud.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Troy Niklas is declaring..

Brian Hamilton@BrianHamiltonSI

BREAKING: #NotreDame TE Troy Niklas will bypass senior season and enter NFL Draft, his father tells @SINow. Story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140109/troy-niklas-declares-nfl-draft-notre-dame/

Pretty exciting news! In my opinion, he vaults to the top among TE's in the draft and is definitely hte best all around TE of the bunch ahead of Ebron, Amaro. The best news is it makes it more likely that one of the now big 3, Niklas/Ebron/Amaro, could be available when the Pats pick in the 1st round.

Niklas has shades of Gronk in his game. Very good blocker and good receiver as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

One of MB's boys, Niklas makes the TE group a plus group in this draft.  Last year there were 73 underclassmen to declare.  This year pundits are predicting 100.  There will be depth in this draft for some groups, WR for sure.  NE will be able to get a TE that will be able to contribute right away within the first 4rds.  Or, as we have seen in the past when everyone thinks there is a very strong position group NE thinks different and passes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Though I really think that TE is the preminant position of need, that doesn't mean that BB will agree. If the Fork isn't healthy by the OTA's then DT would jump ahead of the TE need, same could be said for Oline should both Wendell and Connolly leave via free agency, then Oline would become a position of need before TE also! Either way it goes, I would love to see the Patriots garner one of the top tier TE's just in case Gronk isn't ready. The Patriots do have a small stash of Olinemen and Dlinemen, the only question is their readiness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Though I really think that TE is the preminant position of need, that doesn't mean that BB will agree. If the Fork isn't healthy by the OTA's then DT would jump ahead of the TE need, same could be said for Oline should both Wendell and Connolly leave via free agency, then Oline would become a position of need before TE also! Either way it goes, I would love to see the Patriots garner one of the top tier TE's just in case Gronk isn't ready. The Patriots do have a small stash of Olinemen and Dlinemen, the only question is their readiness.

[/QUOTE]

The nice thing is there are 5 TE's that might be considered top 50 picks in most years. So there is more than a fair chance that one will be available in the back of the 2nd. We can grab a DT early (DT isn't that strong this year but a couple high ceiling guys stick out) and hold off on a TE until the 2nd

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

From  NFLRoughdraft http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/193

Ten Interesting Draft Prospects

1.       Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville

Coming out of high school Smith was rated by Rivals.com as a 3 star quarterback prospect but when he got to Louisville it became apparent rather quickly that he was not going to stick at quarterback. The team decided to move him to the other side of the ball and  he hasn’t looked back. Smith finished the 2013 season with 14.5 sacks including 2 against Miami (FL) in the Russell Athletic Bowl. Smith finished his college career 24 sacks and 33 tackles for a loss. Smith has a huge upside and might be best standing up in the 3-4. With a good Combine and Senior Bowl, Smith could really help his stock and end up being a first round pick in a draft that has plenty of quality pass rushers.

Prediction: 1st Round

NFL Comparison: Anthony Spencer (Dallas)

2.       Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

Scouts opinions of Boyd have really fluctuated over the past two years. After the 2011 season most thought Boyd was a mediocre quarterback who, when his time came, would be an above college quarterback. During the 2012 season Boyd completed 67.2% of his passes with 36 touchdowns in the air and another 10 on the ground. Of course the NFL was clamoring  over Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson’s ability to spread the field and run the read option so most believed Boyd would be the next quarterback to fit that mold. 2013 wasn’t so kind to the read-option and Griffin wasn’t the same, Kaepernick struggled at times and Wilson was not as reliable in December. So ultimately most are viewing Boyd as a mid-round pick at this point. Boyd had arguably his best season in 2013 completing 68.5% of his passes with 34 touchdowns and another 10 running the ball. Boyd has a strong arm, is very smart in the pocket and his mechanics are very solid. He isn’t afraid to take a hit even though he is capable of taking off and running with the ball. Boyd is going to be a starting quarterback in the NFL sooner than later.

Prediction: 2nd Round

NFL Comparison: Russell Wilson (Seattle)

3.       Jordan Lynch, ATH, Northern Illinois

Jordan Lynch has been one of college football’s most dynamic players over the past two seasons. Lynch finished 7th in Heisman voting in 2012 and 3rd in 2013 thanks to a combined 3,735 yards rushing including two 300 plus yard performances this season. Lynch is not an elite athlete but he is a very good athlete. He has no future in the NFL as a quarterback and if he wants to play quarterback it will have to be in the CFL. We have seen numerous quarterbacks convert and be successful NFL players. If he wants to stick in the NFL, he will have to prove he can play special teams and ultimately I think he can develop into a slot receiver.

Prediction: Undrafted

NFL Comparison: Julian Edelman (New England)

4.       Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky

Andrews has been the nation’s leader in all-purpose yards the last two years. Guys like Tavon Austin, Chris Johnson and Jeremy Maclin have also led the nation in all-purpose yards in the past 6 years but none of them get overlooked like Andrews. While he doesn’t have blazing speed and hasn’t consistently faced top competition, his versatility will be appealing to a lot of NFL teams. He has 85 career catches for 963 yards and averaged 218.3 yards per game in 2013 and 243.5 yards per game in 2012. Andrews is the ideal late round selection and might be best as a third down back and return man in the NFL. He will have the opportunity to show his ability during the Senior Bowl which will be very important for his draft stock.

Prediction:  5th round

NFL Comparison: Joique Bell (Detroit)

5.       Michael Sam, DE/OLB, Missouri

This draft has a lot quality pass rushers and with Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack headlining the group others names won’t get mentioned nearly enough.  Michael Sam was an All-SEC First Team by the Coaches and the Associated Press. He was also named Co-SEC Defensive Player of the year. Sam finished the season with 11.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for a loss. His best attribute is his quickness and his ability to beat linemen. He has also been a very good run defender as evidence by the 19.5 tackles for a loss. Sam is probably going to be best suited for a 3-4 team but he has the ability to make an impact immediately on the field and as any every down player. Sam can certainly sneak into the back end of the first round but I think he will probably go in the top portion of round 2.

Prediction: 2nd Round

NFL Comparison: Tambi Hali (Kansas City)

6.       Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt

Players who don’t play for top SEC schools often get lost in the mix and that has been the case with Kenny Ladler. In 2013, he was named All-SEC First Team by Associated Press and Second Team by the Coaches. He had a very good year in 2012 as well but with names like Matt Elam, Eric Reid, D.J. Swearinger and Shawn Williams all coming from the  SEC and going in the top 100 in last year’s draft it was hard to get recognition. Ladler has good size and speed and is capable of playing both safety positions. He really came out as a playmaker in 2013 intercepting 5 passes and forcing 5 more fumbles. He also showed up big against Missouri and South Carolina posting 14 total tackles and against Texas A&M when he had an interception, 2 forced fumbles and 10 total tackles. Ladler has the talent to be a Top 100 selection but he may fall just shy of that but that shouldn’t be an indictment of his talent.

Prediction: 4th Round

NFL Comparison: Roman Harper (New Orleans)

7.       Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St.

With an influx of underclassmen wide receivers entering the draft we are going to see some quality receivers pushed off until the later rounds. Jeff Janis is one of the senior wide receivers who is flying way under the radar. A big reason for that is that he played at Division II Saginaw Valley St. Janis dominated the competition for the past two seasons. He had 1,541 yards receiving this season and 1,468 in 2012. Janis is a big, strong receiver with very good hands and the ability to make plays with the ball in his hands.  The big test for him will come at the Senior Bowl to see what he can do against other NFL prospects. He will be somewhat of a project but he has a huge upside.

Prediction: 6th Round

NFL Comparison: Riley Cooper (Philadelphia)

8.        Terrance West, RB, Towson

Its very rare to see a non-FBS underclassmen declare early who is actually a talented player. West led college football in rushing with 2,509 yards and 41 touchdowns. West is a physical runner with great footwork and decent speed. The decision for West to leave school early was a smart one. With the amount of carries he has been given over the last two years the risk for injury is always greater and realistically he was not going to be able to improve his stock any more than he has already. West doesn’t have breakaway speed but at 223 pounds its not really expected. He could develop into a starting running back but at the very least he will be a reliable backup and short yardage back.

Prediction: 4th round

NFL Comparison: BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Cincinnati)

9.       Christian Jones, LB, Florida St.

During his time at Florida St. Jones has started at all three linebacker positions and has excelled at all of them. Jones is a very good athlete with a long wing span that helps him in coverage.  Jones started at strongside linebacker in his sophomore season, moved to the weakside for his junior year and settled in at middle linebacker for 2013. Jones is incredibly athletic but doesn’t have elite instincts which will probably move him from the middle however; he is capable of playing both outside linebacker positions. He could also play in the middle of a 3-4 defense. Jones is a very good overall player and offers a lot of flexibility.

Prediction: 3rd Round

NFL Comparison: Bruce Carter (Dallas)

10.   Taylor Hart, DE/DT, Oregon

Hart looks to the ideal five technique defensive end for a 3-4 team. He doesn’t have the explosiveness off the end of the line to play defensive end in a 4-3 and may not be the best to move inside to tackle, though it’s a possibility. Hart is a very smart player and stand at 6’6” he possess good size to get into passing lanes. He has good enough athletic ability that Oregon used him at times to stand up and rush the passer from the linebacker position. More than likely a team will look for Hart to add some more strength to his frame and make him somewhat of a project. Hart could help on special teams and develop but his best bet is to play end for a 3-4 team.

Prediction: 5th Round

NFL Comparison: Billy Winn (Cleveland)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, all, another site with scouting reports: http://draftexaminer.com/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportslover21's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Troy Niklas is declaring..

Brian Hamilton@BrianHamiltonSI

BREAKING: #NotreDame TE Troy Niklas will bypass senior season and enter NFL Draft, his father tells @SINow. Story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140109/troy-niklas-declares-nfl-draft-notre-dame/

Pretty exciting news! In my opinion, he vaults to the top among TE's in the draft and is definitely hte best all around TE of the bunch ahead of Ebron, Amaro. The best news is it makes it more likely that one of the now big 3, Niklas/Ebron/Amaro, could be available when the Pats pick in the 1st round.

Niklas has shades of Gronk in his game. Very good blocker and good receiver as well.

[/QUOTE]

Woke up to this news this morning... I'm bumbed that he won't be back in South Bend next season, but I'll be psyched if he ends up in Foxboro!  Instantly moves towards the top of my draft board... would draft him over ASJ every day of the week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

From  NFLRoughdraft http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/193

Ten Interesting Draft Prospects

1.       Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville

Coming out of high school Smith was rated by Rivals.com as a 3 star quarterback prospect but when he got to Louisville it became apparent rather quickly that he was not going to stick at quarterback. The team decided to move him to the other side of the ball and  he hasn’t looked back. Smith finished the 2013 season with 14.5 sacks including 2 against Miami (FL) in the Russell Athletic Bowl. Smith finished his college career 24 sacks and 33 tackles for a loss. Smith has a huge upside and might be best standing up in the 3-4. With a good Combine and Senior Bowl, Smith could really help his stock and end up being a first round pick in a draft that has plenty of quality pass rushers.

Prediction: 1st Round

NFL Comparison: Anthony Spencer (Dallas)

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Smith is finally receiving the credit he is due!  Kid has looked like a stud on tape... an athletic edge rush terror that can play in space.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

MB, all, another site with scouting reports: http://draftexaminer.com/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

One of MB's boys, Niklas makes the TE group a plus group in this draft.  Last year there were 73 underclassmen to declare.  This year pundits are predicting 100.  There will be depth in this draft for some groups, WR for sure.  NE will be able to get a TE that will be able to contribute right away within the first 4rds.  Or, as we have seen in the past when everyone thinks there is a very strong position group NE thinks different and passes.

[/QUOTE]

Kid is built like Hercules!  I don't see him escaping Rd 2... def option for me in Rd 1.

His stats weren't crazy, but I can't tell you how many times Tommy Rees over threw him (threw the ball too high)... not sure how you can consistently overthrow a 6-7 TE, but he mastered it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the fun of it, we never really know what BB will do... we can take an educated guess based on his track record, available talent and projected needs... but that just means he'll take a WR in Rd 1, haha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The nice thing is there are 5 TE's that might be considered top 50 picks in most years. So there is more than a fair chance that one will be available in the back of the 2nd. We can grab a DT early (DT isn't that strong this year but a couple high ceiling guys stick out) and hold off on a TE until the 2nd

[/QUOTE]

The TE depth does provide for some flexibility, I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As a follow up to PE earlier this week, I hope to have my Top 3 options per round completed today... glad I waited because Hercules Niklas will surely be listed... and there might be a surprise in there as well!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey MB where do you think your boy Niklas will fall? Mid to late 2nd or would we have to grab him in the first?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey MB where do you think your boy Niklas will fall? Mid to late 2nd or would we have to grab him in the first?

[/QUOTE]

I think he's a Top 50 prospect that will receive Rd 1 consideration... think he's a realistic option for NE in Rd 1.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Hercules, doesn't get much better than that for a Football name.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just talking to myself here...

BB trades out of the first round if TE Amaro is off the board.  Pats get a early/mid-second round and early 4th round picks.

TE Jenkins of WA - picked at around 37

OG Martin of ND or Steen of Ala - with the Pats own 2nd round pick

BB trades Mallet - Pats select DT DeQuan Jones with #60ish

QB McCarron selected with early 3rd round pick (Pats trade up)

WRs TBD selected with both 4th round picks (one from trade)

IF BB doesn't trade out of the first round - Pats select either OG Yankey, WR Robinson, OG Richardson or WR Benjamin in that order, depending who is available.  and TE Fiedorowicz with the second pick.  then same as above.  Once you get beyond the 3rd round, trying to zero in on specific players is even a bigger impossibe crap shoot to predict.

[/QUOTE]

I think landing Martin, Jones and McCarron in this draft would be a homerun... Martin won't last until the end of Rd 2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below are my Top 3 player options in each round, based on where NE is projected to pick.  I’ve tried to include only players that I feel will be available when they’re on the clock, though we all know that BB/NC will be moving up and down the draft board.

Rd 1:

OG Zack Martin- ND- Like I’ve said many times, I think he might be the most consistent and dependable player in this draft… seldom makes mistakes, shuts out whoever is across from him and plays the game with good technique, feet and physicality.  He’s a perfect player for NE’s system and could be Matt Light or a Pro Bowl OG.

DT Ra’shede Hageman- Minnesota- I’m starting to warm up to this idea and am viewing him as an upside pick, much like Solder ended up being.  Kid is not without flaws, but I think the size/length/upside could be too much for BB/NC to pass up and think Pepper could do a good job of coaching this kid up.

TE Troy Niklas- ND- Huge (6-7 260), athletic TE prospect that shows good ability as a blocker both inline and in space… he’s also a versatile offensive weapon that will cause matchup problems in the slot and down in the redzone.

Rd 2:

DT Daquan Jones- PSU- If BB passes on a DT in Rd 1, I fully expect him to come out of Rd 2 with a new side of beef!  Jones is a big (6-3 318), powerful, athletic kid with upside and versatility that will fit in very well in NE’s rotation… he can 2-gap and penetrate and plays with a consistent motor.

DE/OLB- Marcus Smith- Lousiville- He’s an explosive, athletic, versatile high-effort edge player with a ton of upside (moved to D in 2010).  I think he might/should get Rd 1 consideration before all is said and done.  He might be the best player that people aren’t talking about.  

ILB Shayne Skov- Stanford- A tough, intelligent, aggressive ILB prospect with good stack/shed and blitz ability and skill set to consistently make plays at or behind the LOS.  If Spikes isn’t retained, he’d be an excellent candidate to replace him.

Rd 3:

TE Arthur Lynch- Georgia- Perfect spot for a TE with both inline and pass catching abilities.

TE CJ Fiedorowicz- Iowa- See comments above.

WR Jared Abbrederis- Wisconsin- Kid is a good value here due to the depth in this class.  He’s a very good route runner with good body control and the ability to create.  Fits in very well with what NE likes to do on offense.

Rd 4:

CB/S Antone Exum- VT- On talent alone, he should be rated higher, but could drop due to an injury riddles season.  He’s a very good size/speed kid with experience at both CB and S, though I expect him to be fore of a big S in NE’s scheme.  Really like this kid.

DE/DT Ed Stinson- Alabama-  Versatile kid with the ability to line up across multiple fronts, tough, strong, powerful at the POA, definite 2-gap ability.

C/OG- Bryan Stork- FSU- Good size (6-4 315), versatile interior OL prospect that moves well, displays some nasty, projects well to a zone blocking scheme, and is proven against top competition.

Rd’s 5 (assuming the pick one up)-7:

DT Brent Urban- Virginia- Very good size/length (6-7 300) and really excels vs. the run (a current weakness in NE… though that should improve next season with VW back).  He’s extremely raw as a PR, but is athletic and represents a good upside play here.

S Isaiah Lewis- MSU- Good size/build (5-10 210), physical, smart, aggressive, experienced and has ST value.

TE Rob Blanchflower- Umass- Good sized local kid (grew up the next town over from me and played his college ball at Gillette for Umass) that shows very good technique/effort/upside as a blocker, both inline and out in space.  His hands are a bit inconsistent, but he’s a load after the catch.  There’s a lot to like here and he’s a high effort player.

ILB  Glenn Carson- PSU-  Good size (6-3 240) and pedigree, very good instincts, toughness and movement ability.  Solid Day 3 value.

QB  Keith Wenning- Ball State-  Good size and accuracy, cannon for an arm… ultra-productive and very underrated.

QB  Bryn Renner- UNC- Athletic, competitive kid with some upside.

RB Tyler Gaffney- Stanford- Big back that will hammer it between the tackles and grind a defense down.  Presents a good compliment to Ridley/Blount.

RB- Alfred Blue- LSU- See Gaffney comment.  Also, low mileage on the body due to positional depth in Baton Rouge. 

WR- TJ Jones- ND- Solid, reliable all around WR with good quicks, COD and consistent hands.  Always seems to get open when the team needs a play.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/10/report-kelvin-benjamin-leaping-from-the-noles-to-the-pros/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Miami LB Denzel Perryman to return to school:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/10/denzel-perryman-returning-to-canes-for-senior-season/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the fun of it, we never really know what BB will do... we can take an educated guess based on his track record, available talent and projected needs... but that just means he'll take a WR in Rd 1, haha.

[/QUOTE] MB if he does lets hope he gets a guy who can play the hybrid TE/WR position, a couple of guys fit that bill. Coleman, Benjamin or maybe Evans.. All three of these guys are potential Hernandez replacements, because as good as Gronk is he needs those distraction guys like Edelman, and whoever at the small TE, as well as a deep threat to take all the pressure off of him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] MB if he does lets hope he gets a guy who can play the hybrid TE/WR position, a couple of guys fit that bill. Coleman, Benjamin or maybe Evans.. All three of these guys are potential Hernandez replacements, because as good as Gronk is he needs those distraction guys like Edelman, and whoever at the small TE, as well as a deep threat to take all the pressure off of him.

[/QUOTE]

Why not Amaro if available? Play him purely as a slot receiver. Redefine the position. Imagine playing Gronk at TE and Amaro at slot. The slot creates a different type of mismatch, but still a huge mismatch. Against some teams, that would be unstoppable. Against others, you just play more conventional with Edelman and Amendola.

OL, DT and DE, not necessarily in that order in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

Maybe a a back up TE in the 6th.

Crazy I know, but I've seen crazier.