***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have you changed your mind over the past 6 games or is your above list the same?

DT sure looks like a need with vw out and Kelly hurt and long in the tooth. We have still yet to hear from armstead, but comparatively speaking based on his cfl play, he could be similar to Travis Raciti in his ability to generate pressure from inside. 

Is it me, or do you guys like the way vellano and jones are playing. I know we lost size, but it seems we added an element of quickness which I like more considering we have run sub defenses almost 70% of the time this year. My vote is for another 4-3 DT with quickness who can penetrate from inside. 

i don't think Talib is in the cards for next year based on his play this year. We may not be able to afford him. I hope they can get creative with contracts and find some money because the back of our defense is totally different with hI'm.

i agree that we should look for another TE. I was saying so last year when ertz and eifert were drafted. For me, I want a more athletic type or move TE. I think Gronk and hooman are great blockers, and I would like to find a guy that we can use like we did AH. 

Looking at the line, I think we need to beef up the interior. I don't like cannon at guard, and I think we could really upgrade Connolly. 

positions I would like to see drafted...DT, te, cb, OG. No particular order. 

PI will add to the watch list for the above positions.

[/QUOTE]

My feelings really haven't changed that much since I made that way to early draft. I like what I'm seeing from Vellano and Jones but then again we''ve seen rooks come in and flash before. But, going from the Atl game to Cin to Saints I've seen a steady regression from that flash. They aren't getting nearly as much push up the middle and without Spikes blitzing nearly every running down there's a large gap between the tackles that other teams have noticed too. Like I said I like both of them but I see them as quicker more rush oriented versions of Love and Deadrick. As sub and rotational players they are good enough to give D's fits and prevent them from catching their wind but the more either plays the less we are getting from them as other teams are figuring them out and frankly they are wearing down at times later in games. So, while I think they can make for a great sub roles in the future I would still look to enhance the starter position or at least find a future replacement for Wilfork. Now Armstead is still an unknown but if he comes in and shows the push he had in the CFL then I take a rushing DT off my need list and would be happy to say Armstead is Kelly's future replacement but that's still to be seen. I still want a bigger (320+) run stuffing DT who has some rush ability to play behind Wilfork and eventually take over. But, next year I'd be happy with 6 DT's moving forward in Vellano, Jones, Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead (or mid round drafted rusher), and a drafted anchor DT/NT tpye. Heck, Vellano and Jones could move outside on occassion as a larger rush package DE's and that way you only need to carry 3-4 DE's (Nink, Jones, Buchanan, whoever you want to put here).

As for CB, I do think Talib might be gone but if we are going to replace him I don't want another rook just to keep the turnstyle going. I think Ryan is a good 3rd outside CB, Arrington I wish didn't get that contract but what can you do, Dennard if healthy and not in jail is a #2 CB, but I still want a vet #1 as we've seen the difference in the play of the secondary when they have that vet leadership right there instead of the rotation of rook 'x'. Harmon looks to be a solid backup swing S and I've liked how Gregory has played so far but they can save $1.5mil by cutting Gregory and another $.5mil for A. Wilson so that's my preference and to draft a SS. Unfortunately it looks like the good SS's won't last past the 60's at this point so might have to get one early. Man I was they signed Ray Ray as a UDFA like I wanted. That was BB's LB/SS hybrid he's been searching for for a while.

OG might be slightly more important than I orginally thought but if you are looking RG then you can still find a good starting RG in the mid rounds and actually the Pats have been great at finding them as UDFA's and day 3 picks so I'd trust Scar to find one late.

WR I'm still holding my breath as I'm not convinced Amendola will be around next year and if he is that he will play very much. I also think Edelman might be playing himself out of NE, lets hope he doesn't make and feet references. I do want a larger WR to fill Hern's role. I'm liking Thompkins as a #2/3 outside and Dobson if he can learn to catch the ball (best call I ever made saying I was concerned about his hands in the draft) he'll be another #2 type so they might be alright but Boyce is a huge ? mark. Once healthy Moe might have a good shot next year in the slot to replace Edelman and I'm really curious to see what Harrison can give (given size) but I still like to find a 6'3"+ 225+ WR for the RZ given their stuggles there.

TE I think is a given need.

The other position I've been wondering about is RB. Vereen can't stay healthy so I wouldn't extend him at all (I'm still pissed they let Woodhead go), and it seems BB doesn't trust Ridley to carry the load. Blount and Bolden are ok but nothing special so could they look to bring in another RB at some point. Maybe a quicker change of pace type of back if they plan to move forward with Devlin as a FB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Wow... Louisville lost to UCF!

I caught UCF's last drive to win the game. UCF QB Blake Bortles (6'4", 230, Jr) looked really good. UCF gave up a 4-pt lead with 3 mins to go. Bortles rose to the occasion, making really crisp throws in clutch conditions. I did not have this kid on my radar. I don't think he was on anyone's. He's on mine now.

The other kid who shined on that last drive was the receiver, Josh Reese (6'0", 184, Jr). The kid ran really nice routes, was solid catching and got some YAC to help his team win the game. He looks strong in traffic. He could turn heads if he can gain 10 lbs and keep his speed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WK1 GAME RECAP

FLORDIA STATE vs PITTSBURGH

FSU is loaded with talent – not necessarily top 10 pick talent in the 2014 draft, but a handful of kids who could go from #10 through #72

• OL is solid. It’s hard to tell who is best, but both guards – Carter (#65) and Matias (#70) – and the LT Erving (#75) made it easy for freshman QB Winston to play an exceptional game vs Pitt. Both Erving and Matias are 6’6”, 320 lbs – definitely NFL-sized kids.
    • I missed Jackson, another OG on FSU who is supposed to be very good.
    • FSU RB Wilder (6’2”, 230 lbs) has a very good combination of power, burst and vision. Could be a top 5 RB in the 2013 draft (he’s a junior)
    • Kevin Benjamin – under-the-radar 6’5”, 230 lb WR. Looks good when his QB threw to him. Strong on contested balls and gets decent separation
    • I did not watch the D a lot.

Pittsburgh did not have the kind of talent FSU had on the field

• WR Devin Street – another 6’5” 230 lb guy. Pretty much was the only weapon that the Pitt QB had to work with. He was covered well, but still managed to pull down a couple of good passes; Will continue to be on the watch list.
    • QB Tom Savage – Played decent ball considering the talent mismatch with FSU. Good arm and smart. Likely to be more of a game manager if he played in the NFL.

Last comment

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Winston is continuing to impress. He is now definitely in the discussion for the Heisman. Man, I would not mind the Pats landing that kid in 2015.

Also, keep your eye out for Benjamin. He made another spectacular leaping TD catch at the right pylon. The kid could develop into a really good playmaker. He's still not making it into the mock drafts. I think this kid is under-rated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

WK1 GAME RECAP

FLORDIA STATE vs PITTSBURGH

FSU is loaded with talent – not necessarily top 10 pick talent in the 2014 draft, but a handful of kids who could go from #10 through #72

• OL is solid. It’s hard to tell who is best, but both guards – Carter (#65) and Matias (#70) – and the LT Erving (#75) made it easy for freshman QB Winston to play an exceptional game vs Pitt. Both Erving and Matias are 6’6”, 320 lbs – definitely NFL-sized kids.
    • I missed Jackson, another OG on FSU who is supposed to be very good.
    • FSU RB Wilder (6’2”, 230 lbs) has a very good combination of power, burst and vision. Could be a top 5 RB in the 2013 draft (he’s a junior)
    • Kevin Benjamin – under-the-radar 6’5”, 230 lb WR. Looks good when his QB threw to him. Strong on contested balls and gets decent separation
    • I did not watch the D a lot.

Pittsburgh did not have the kind of talent FSU had on the field

• WR Devin Street – another 6’5” 230 lb guy. Pretty much was the only weapon that the Pitt QB had to work with. He was covered well, but still managed to pull down a couple of good passes; Will continue to be on the watch list.
    • QB Tom Savage – Played decent ball considering the talent mismatch with FSU. Good arm and smart. Likely to be more of a game manager if he played in the NFL.

Last comment

Not relevant for 2014 draft: FSU QB Winston will be in the discussion for 2015 #1 overall pick and the 2013-14 Heisman. A rFr, he made quarterbacking look really easy vs. Pitt. Finished the first half with a 17/18 completion rate. My only criticism of him is he sometimes throws on his back foot. On the other hand, even when throwing on his back foot, he throws long and accurate. The kid is 6’4”, 230 lbs, scrambles when needed and can throw well on the run.

Looks like Winston is continuing to impress. He is now definitely in the discussion for the Heisman. Man, I would not mind the Pats landing that kid in 2015.

Also, keep your eye out for Benjamin. He made another spectacular leaping TD catch at the right pylon. The kid could develop into a really good playmaker. He's still not making it into the mock drafts. I think this kid is under-rated.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed... both look like potential studs.

I also like Timmy Jernigan as a DT option in this class.  Not throwing big #'s this year, but he's an athletic kid with good strength at the POA, has the ability to eat/split a double and posssesses good stack and shed ability with his plus upper body strength/solid hand usage.  He's a potential Top 10 kid, so he may he might be well out of range when NE chooses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow... Louisville lost to UCF!

I caught UCF's last drive to win the game. UCF QB Blake Bortles (6'4", 230, Jr) looked really good. UCF gave up a 4-pt lead with 3 mins to go. Bortles rose to the occasion, making really crisp throws in clutch conditions. I did not have this kid on my radar. I don't think he was on anyone's. He's on mine now.

The other kid who shined on that last drive was the receiver, Josh Reese (6'0", 184, Jr). The kid ran really nice routes, was solid catching and got some YAC to help his team win the game. He looks strong in traffic. He could turn heads if he can gain 10 lbs and keep his speed.

[/QUOTE]

Prospect Review: UCF QB Blake Bortles  

Is Blake Bortles a dark horse candidate to go in Round 1? (Photo: US Presswire)

Prospect Review: UCF QB Blake Bortles

Is Blake Bortles a dark horse candidate to go in Round 1? (Photo: US Presswire)

By Marc Sluis, Staff Writer NEPATRIOTSDRAFT

The quarterback position is not just the most influential position as far as affecting wins and losses likely in all of sports. It’s also one of the toughest positions to evaluate, scout and project to the next level. Blake Bortles of UCF has everything one would look for in a quarterback prospect, but like all young signal callers has flaws as well. Let’s take a closer look at a few of his games this year and then wrap up with his overall strengths and weaknesses.

Blake Bortles, UCF – QB

6’4 230

Strengths: Bortles has a big, strong frame, which suggests he will be relatively durable. That strength coupled with his surprisingly quick feet helps him avoid sacks and make plays on the move. He does a terrific job of keeping his eyes down field and loses almost nothing throwing on the run to his right or left. I don’t think I’ve seen a right-handed quarterback throw better going to his left. The arm strength is there, and he can make NFL caliber throws. When his footwork is precise and he steps into his throws he can look elite. He’s shown flashes of making “window” throws and touch passes over defenders. He also has a model girlfriend for what that’s worth.

Weaknesses: His confidence and arm strength are definitely positives, but they also get him into trouble at times. He has a bad habit of leaning back when throwing instead of stepping into his throws. His deep ball is tough to gauge because most of his passes in the UCF offense are short bubble screens, slants and out routes rather than vertical routes. When asked to throw deep he’s had mixed result.

There are times he tries to force the ball into tight coverage or loses a defender underneath. While he’s a load to bring down and rarely is handled by a single defender, he could improve on getting the ball out earlier to avoid a collapsing pocket.

Final Thoughts: Bortles is a name to watch throughout the draft process. He has excellent size, feet, arm strength and has shown he can make all the throws. The test for him, and essentially every young quarterback, will be his decision making. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you turn it over. Bortles isn’t turnover prone but the interceptions are the only thing holding him back from a first round grade. That’s a lofty projection, but all the tools are there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So going over some of my guys and looking up a couple of new one's I had some newer thoughts:

LG - I think this might be a year they look to find a 15' replacement for Mankins. Though this year there really isn't a ton of talent at LG. Su'a is easily the best of the lot but my gut says he'll be a top 20 pick and out of range for the Pats (not to mention I don't want to spend that early on a LG who won't play next year). One name I came across that's starting to grow on me is Gabe Ikard. He's been a physical presence along Ok's OL this year and had a rather nice game against Nix. He's a smart well rounder player able to get to the second level run blocking, pull for traps across the line, and does well against larger DT's in the passing game. He's a name to watch in the late 2nd as a possible pick up, that is if he doesn't rocket up the draft charts with his play.

DT - I've cooled off on McCullers. His play this year hasn't been great though it's picked up lately. I still love him just for his size alone but he's turned into a 3rd round type of player with high upside you take a shot on. I wouldn't mind double dipping in the 1st with a DT and 3rd for McCullers. The guy who I have my eye on in the first right now is Hageman. I've seen great explosion and power from him while handling dbl teams. There are times he gets washed out but others where he just destroys the line. To me I see him making a lot of in game adjustments to blocking scemes which is great to see from a college player. It's a rare trait I don't see a lot but Watt made similar type of in game adjustments in college too. If he can bring some consistency he's going to skyrocket up the charts so I'm hoping he stays a bit inconsistent to give the Pats a chance at him in the mid 20's. Another guy I've been coming around to is George Uko. 4 sacks so far this year with 4.5 TFO's. He's making steady progress from year to year and has made some great movement this year. He's a bit undersized but if he can get to the mid 290's by seasons end he's going to make someone happy as a late day 2 pick.

S - someone I've been excited to see come back and starting to play well is Antone Exum from Vir Tech. He's a S/CB so he has some good coverage ability and skills but his size and speed scream SS to me. He's a solid hard hitter that has caused fumbles but he also defended 16 passes last year so he knows how to play the ball. Since Harmon and McCourty are already CB/S type of hybrid players Exum would fit right in. If they dump Gregory for cap space and the Wilsons for..... lets not get into that I'd be comfortable with McCourty, Exum, Harmon in some for of rotation provided they pick up a Guyton type of LB with can swing from LB to S at times. (Why oh why didn't that grab Ray Ray like I wanted in UDFA)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So going over some of my guys and looking up a couple of new one's I had some newer thoughts:

LG - I think this might be a year they look to find a 15' replacement for Mankins. Though this year there really isn't a ton of talent at LG. Su'a is easily the best of the lot but my gut says he'll be a top 20 pick and out of range for the Pats (not to mention I don't want to spend that early on a LG who won't play next year). One name I came across that's starting to grow on me is Gabe Ikard. He's been a physical presence along Ok's OL this year and had a rather nice game against Nix. He's a smart well rounder player able to get to the second level run blocking, pull for traps across the line, and does well against larger DT's in the passing game. He's a name to watch in the late 2nd as a possible pick up, that is if he doesn't rocket up the draft charts with his play.

DT - I've cooled off on McCullers. His play this year hasn't been great though it's picked up lately. I still love him just for his size alone but he's turned into a 3rd round type of player with high upside you take a shot on. I wouldn't mind double dipping in the 1st with a DT and 3rd for McCullers. The guy who I have my eye on in the first right now is Hageman. I've seen great explosion and power from him while handling dbl teams. There are times he gets washed out but others where he just destroys the line. To me I see him making a lot of in game adjustments to blocking scemes which is great to see from a college player. It's a rare trait I don't see a lot but Watt made similar type of in game adjustments in college too. If he can bring some consistency he's going to skyrocket up the charts so I'm hoping he stays a bit inconsistent to give the Pats a chance at him in the mid 20's. Another guy I've been coming around to is George Uko. 4 sacks so far this year with 4.5 TFO's. He's making steady progress from year to year and has made some great movement this year. He's a bit undersized but if he can get to the mid 290's by seasons end he's going to make someone happy as a late day 2 pick.

S - someone I've been excited to see come back and starting to play well is Antone Exum from Vir Tech. He's a S/CB so he has some good coverage ability and skills but his size and speed scream SS to me. He's a solid hard hitter that has caused fumbles but he also defended 16 passes last year so he knows how to play the ball. Since Harmon and McCourty are already CB/S type of hybrid players Exum would fit right in. If they dump Gregory for cap space and the Wilsons for..... lets not get into that I'd be comfortable with McCourty, Exum, Harmon in some for of rotation provided they pick up a Guyton type of LB with can swing from LB to S at times. (Why oh why didn't that grab Ray Ray like I wanted in UDFA)

[/QUOTE]

Good post, PE.

I like Su'a's size and physicality on tape... def has some nastiness to his game... and I like the pro pedigree.  I also like Bama's Anthony Steen, blue collar kid, good base and balance, effective at the 2nd level, but he currently plays RG.  Overall, my favorite OG prospect might be ND's LT Zack Martin... kid's been a 3 year starter and does jsut about everything well, though he'll prob cost you a Top 40-50 pick.  He does give you swing options at OT though... and BK and BB have built a bit of a relationship, so he might be a target.

I'm with you on Hageman... prototype size, length and athleticism for the position... believe he's relatively new to the position as well.

Exum might be my favorite player (or one of) in this class.  Love his combo of size, speed, athleticism and position versatility and believe the he's a realistic, and maybe off the radar (at this point) option in Rd 1 for NE.  He's showed well against quality comp, is a good character kid too... though the only thing holding him back is an injury that's kept him out of the lineup this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Looking at some draftnik sites here is some reviews for Pigskin Paul.  He does a decent job. He has McCullers around 3rd rd.  I think that is about right.  Murphy may be on the rise.  I included the mandatory NE safety and CB prospects. 

Pryor from Louisville is a big safety that we don't have.  Of course, all this will change a sthe season goes on.

#98    DANIEL McCULLERS/DT/TENNESSEE6’7/350                TOP 100

This physical mountain of a man can really help an NFL team as long as they realize what they are getting. He is not as athletic as a HALOTI NGATA, but he can plug the middle of a 4-3 scheme all day long. I think he’s too tall to plug in at a pure Nose position. For his height he keeps his feet pretty well. He’s reasonable active in a short area and as he did on a key 3rd down in the 4th quarter against the Gamecocks he can totally control and stop running plays up the middle. Doesn’t cover a lot of ground because he runs with choppy, baby steps like many big guys. I don’t see a First Rounder here because of limited mobility, but he can really eat up space and blockers for a 4-3 Defense in need of  bulk.

#93    TRENT MURPHY/OLB/STANFORD/6’5/260                   TOP 100

A key player in a very talented STANFORD defensive unit, it is his size and athleticism that intrigue many NFL personnel people. He looks very comfortable standing up despite his long frame. But he also looks like a natural pass rusher when he gets down in a tree-point stance. He moves all over the field and presents some real challenges to a QB. He must be located at all times. I counted 2 sacks against the mobile UCLA QB HUNDLEY. MURPHY is moving in on the school career sacks mark if he can ramp it up the rest of the season. He’s a smart and instinctive football player. I envision him as a more naturally athletic RYAN KERRIGAN of the REDSKINS in some NFL 3-4 scheme. In the hands of a creative Defensive Coordinator MURPHY could be special.

#31        E.J. GAINES/CB/MISSOURI/5’10/195                    TOP 100

If you follow Pigskin Paul then you knew this profile was coming soon. I’ve been on GAINES since his sophomore campaign and I’m still with him. Teams don’t test his side of the field very often. He’s excellent in man-coverage and is a strong tackler when the ball comes to his side of the field. He will also chase plays deep when needed. He doesn’t wow with stats because he doesn’t see enough action to his side to pile them up. But he came out of 2012 as the team’s second leading tackler and was credited with 11 pass break-ups. He could be a real riser in the post-season events.

#25    CALVIN PRYOR/S/LOUISVILLE/6’2/210/JR                TOP 100/ 1st Round maybe

Watching the Louisville/Rutgers game this guy was not the target of my scouting. But as the game went on I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. He has ideal size as a S and has plenty of athleticism. I think he could even be considered a decent Corner prospect. But he’ll be near the head of the S class if he declares for the 2014 Draft. He’s effective in coverage and likes to put hits on receivers and RB alike. Against Rutgers he had 12 tackles, 1 TFL and an INT. Those numbers are pretty representative of his talent and his skills. I defy you to name a better all-around S prospect than PRYOR right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

From http://www.gbnreport.com/

What is going on with this guy?  A potential 1st rounder, what a waste.....

October 24
    • (9:00 AM): Ex-Duck in coke bust ... Former Oregon junior TE Colt Lyerla was reportedly arrested overnight in the Eugene area and charged with unlawful possession of cocaine and interfering with a police officer. The athletic Lyerla had been considered to be a first-round prospect for the 2014 draft, but struggled through an indifferent season this fall before abruptly quitting the team earlier this month. And while NFL teams will often turn a blind eye to marijuana indiscretions, cocaine is another thing and Lyerla may have snortedhimself right out of the draft, if he wasn't already there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

October 24

• (9:00 AM): Ex-Duck in coke bust ... Former Oregon junior TE Colt Lyerla was reportedly arrested overnight in the Eugene area and charged with unlawful possession of cocaine and interfering with a police officer. The athletic Lyerla had been considered to be a first-round prospect for the 2014 draft, but struggled through an indifferent season this fall before abruptly quitting the team earlier this month. And while NFL teams will often turn a blind eye to marijuana indiscretions, cocaine is another thing and Lyerla may have snortedhimself right out of the draft, if he wasn't already there.

[/QUOTE]

Haha, was just about to post this... what a knucklehead, just dumb thing after dumb thing...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looking at some draftnik sites here is some reviews for Pigskin Paul.  He does a decent job. He has McCullers around 3rd rd.  I think that is about right.  Murphy may be on the rise.  I included the mandatory NE safety and CB prospects. 

Pryor from Louisville is a big safety that we don't have.  Of course, all this will change a sthe season goes on.

#98    DANIEL McCULLERS/DT/TENNESSEE6’7/350                TOP 100

This physical mountain of a man can really help an NFL team as long as they realize what they are getting. He is not as athletic as a HALOTI NGATA, but he can plug the middle of a 4-3 scheme all day long. I think he’s too tall to plug in at a pure Nose position. For his height he keeps his feet pretty well. He’s reasonable active in a short area and as he did on a key 3rd down in the 4th quarter against the Gamecocks he can totally control and stop running plays up the middle. Doesn’t cover a lot of ground because he runs with choppy, baby steps like many big guys. I don’t see a First Rounder here because of limited mobility, but he can really eat up space and blockers for a 4-3 Defense in need of  bulk.

#93    TRENT MURPHY/OLB/STANFORD/6’5/260                   TOP 100

A key player in a very talented STANFORD defensive unit, it is his size and athleticism that intrigue many NFL personnel people. He looks very comfortable standing up despite his long frame. But he also looks like a natural pass rusher when he gets down in a tree-point stance. He moves all over the field and presents some real challenges to a QB. He must be located at all times. I counted 2 sacks against the mobile UCLA QB HUNDLEY. MURPHY is moving in on the school career sacks mark if he can ramp it up the rest of the season. He’s a smart and instinctive football player. I envision him as a more naturally athletic RYAN KERRIGAN of the REDSKINS in some NFL 3-4 scheme. In the hands of a creative Defensive Coordinator MURPHY could be special.

#31        E.J. GAINES/CB/MISSOURI/5’10/195                    TOP 100

If you follow Pigskin Paul then you knew this profile was coming soon. I’ve been on GAINES since his sophomore campaign and I’m still with him. Teams don’t test his side of the field very often. He’s excellent in man-coverage and is a strong tackler when the ball comes to his side of the field. He will also chase plays deep when needed. He doesn’t wow with stats because he doesn’t see enough action to his side to pile them up. But he came out of 2012 as the team’s second leading tackler and was credited with 11 pass break-ups. He could be a real riser in the post-season events.

#25    CALVIN PRYOR/S/LOUISVILLE/6’2/210/JR                TOP 100/ 1st Round maybe

Watching the Louisville/Rutgers game this guy was not the target of my scouting. But as the game went on I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. He has ideal size as a S and has plenty of athleticism. I think he could even be considered a decent Corner prospect. But he’ll be near the head of the S class if he declares for the 2014 Draft. He’s effective in coverage and likes to put hits on receivers and RB alike. Against Rutgers he had 12 tackles, 1 TFL and an INT. Those numbers are pretty representative of his talent and his skills. I defy you to name a better all-around S prospect than PRYOR right now.

Thanks for the post... Trent is a kid that I'm high on... love most Stanford kids for that matter..  I've also read some good things about Gaines... gonna give him and Pryor an extended look as I think both CB (Talib FA / Dennard Legal) and S (still lacking a physical tone setter) will be needs moving forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

October 24

[/QUOTE]

Too bad for the kid.

If that's the case, past midway through the season, ERIC EBRON of North Carolina is IMO the top TE of the elligible college players. Some may agrue with that.

But it cannot be argued that he is the best pass catching TE. Has by far the best combination of speed, athleticsm and hands. He moves like a wide receiver. At 6'4", 245, is big enough to create a lot of mismatches. He has the height. He'd be devastating if he gets to 255 lbs. IMO he is better than Hernandez.

Needs to prove he blocks well and has the strength to play TE in the NFL.

Washington's Sefarian-Jenkins' was last year projected to be the top TE in teh upcoming draft. He did not improve from last year. He has potential, but it's just not showing much on the field this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Ebron had a very good game vs Miami. Videos of his catches can be found here.

http://search.espn.go.com/eric-ebron/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Ebron had a very good game vs Miami. Videos of his catches can be found here.

http://search.espn.go.com/eric-ebron/

[/QUOTE]

Looking like he's gonna be a Top 15-20 type kid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

On the topic of DT's, I really like what I saw from South Carolina Jr, Kelcy Quarles (6-4 300) vs. Tennessee.  Very good size and length, long arms and carries the weight well... very good movement and athleticism, active hands and uses them well to keep his pads clean... disruptive in the middle... strong at the point, very good bull rush with the ability to penetrate with some consistency... he also gave a solid effort in pursuit, making plays to flanks and downfield in pursuit.

He did sustain a kneee injury which forced him to leave the game, but I don't believe it's season ending. 

He's def a name to keep an eye on within the Top 64 and I think he has Rd 1 upside for sure.

*He also leads SC in both TFL (7) and Sacks (5).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On the topic of DT's, I really like what I saw from South Carolina Jr, Kelcy Quarles (6-4 300) vs. Tennessee.  Very good size and length, long arms and carries the weight well... very good movement and athleticism, active hands and uses them well to keep his pads clean... disruptive in the middle... strong at the point, very good bull rush with the ability to penetrate with some consistency... he also gave a solid effort in pursuit, making plays to flanks and downfield in pursuit.

He did sustain a kneee injury which forced him to leave the game, but I don't believe it's season ending. 

He's def a name to keep an eye on within the Top 64 and I think he has Rd 1 upside for sure.

[/QUOTE]

I had Quarless on my watch list even before last season ended. I was a little disappointed in him earlier in the season. He can be inconsistent. When he wants to play he can be awesome. Sometimes though, he looks like he's just coasting. Of course with these guys you never know if what appears to be coasting actually is more because they are nursing some injury.

I have som SC games on the DVR. I could go back to the recent ones. I think I have the Tennessee game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I had Quarless on my watch list even before last season ended. I was a little disappointed in him earlier in the season. He can be inconsistent. When he wants to play he can be awesome. Sometimes though, he looks like he's just coasting. Of course with these guys you never know if what appears to be coasting actually is more because they are nursing some injury.

I have som SC games on the DVR. I could go back to the recent ones. I think I have the Tennessee game.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looks like he got gassed a bit late in the game, but overall I think he gives a solid effort.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The thread about the ESPN/MJD trade idea got me thinking about RB's.

While I don't think they'll make that move for this season, I don't think it's out of the question for them to maybe add a back after the season... whether it be via FA or the draft.

One kid that I'm high on is Stanford's Tyler Gaffney (5-11 220).  Very good size and power, athletic (played minor league baseball) and can catch the football... Overall, he has the size skillset that BB seems to target late in the draft and/or via the URFA route.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

DT - I've cooled off on McCullers. His play this year hasn't been great though it's picked up lately. I still love him just for his size alone but he's turned into a 3rd round type of player with high upside you take a shot on. I wouldn't mind double dipping in the 1st with a DT and 3rd for McCullers.

The guy who I have my eye on in the first right now is Hageman. I've seen great explosion and power from him while handling dbl teams. There are times he gets washed out but others where he just destroys the line. To me I see him making a lot of in game adjustments to blocking scemes which is great to see from a college player. It's a rare trait I don't see a lot but Watt made similar type of in game adjustments in college too. If he can bring some consistency he's going to skyrocket up the charts so I'm hoping he stays a bit inconsistent to give the Pats a chance at him in the mid 20's. Another guy I've been coming around to is George Uko. 4 sacks so far this year with 4.5 TFO's. He's making steady progress from year to year and has made some great movement this year. He's a bit undersized but if he can get to the mid 290's by seasons end he's going to make someone happy as a late day 2 pick...

[/QUOTE]

I think McCullers is playing too heavy. I believe he should get back down to 340. He's has shown at times that he has pretty good athleticism. He's not showing it consistently, because of the weight he is carrying around. His feet are probably not as quick as Poe's, but he does not have to be. At 340, just a little bit of quickness will give him an avantage over the OLman.

Another kid who I think is playing too heavy is Tuitt. He's currently 322. He played at around 305 last year. He definitely is slower at 322. Maybe he gets used to the additional weight eventually, IDK. He used to move like a 43 DE when he was at 305.

My bottomline on DTs for the next draft... I thought the DTs in 2013 were more interesting than the 2014 prospects.

Richardson, Lotulelei and Spence are starters. Jenkins is contributing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DT - I've cooled off on McCullers. His play this year hasn't been great though it's picked up lately. I still love him just for his size alone but he's turned into a 3rd round type of player with high upside you take a shot on. I wouldn't mind double dipping in the 1st with a DT and 3rd for McCullers.

The guy who I have my eye on in the first right now is Hageman. I've seen great explosion and power from him while handling dbl teams. There are times he gets washed out but others where he just destroys the line. To me I see him making a lot of in game adjustments to blocking scemes which is great to see from a college player. It's a rare trait I don't see a lot but Watt made similar type of in game adjustments in college too. If he can bring some consistency he's going to skyrocket up the charts so I'm hoping he stays a bit inconsistent to give the Pats a chance at him in the mid 20's. Another guy I've been coming around to is George Uko. 4 sacks so far this year with 4.5 TFO's. He's making steady progress from year to year and has made some great movement this year. He's a bit undersized but if he can get to the mid 290's by seasons end he's going to make someone happy as a late day 2 pick...

[/QUOTE]

I think McCullers is playing too heavy. I believe he should get back down to 340. He's has shown at times that he has pretty good athleticism. He's not showing it consistently, because of the weight he is carrying around. His feet are probably not as quick as Poe's, but he does not have to be. At 340, just a little bit of quickness will give him an avantage over the OLman.

Another kid who I think is playing too heavy is Tuitt. He's currently 322. He played at around 305 last year. He definitely is slower at 322. Maybe he gets used to the additional weight eventually, IDK. He used to move like a 43 DE when he was at 305.

My bottomline on DTs for the next draft... I thought the DTs in 2013 were more interesting than the 2014 prospects.

Richardson, Lotulelei and Spence are starters. Jenkins is contributing

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Tuitt came in heavy... most think he was recovering from an injury and that it effected his play earlier in the season, though it seems that he may be getting healthier and into better play shape because he was flat out dominant against USC on Saturday.  He might be the closest thing that I've seen to Big Sey in regards to size, skill and movement ability.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Wanted to post this article on needs.  I think it is critical we resign Talib.  If not CB goes right back to the top.  

Not sure what the order is but in general for me: DT, OG, TE, SS, OC.

I like that Vellano and Jones are getting good experience.  Still need DT/NT help and upgrade.  Connelly could swing back to center, but it looks like he and Wendell have regressed. Need either Cannon to step up or new blood.  Limited number of TEs to pick from in the draft.  Not sure traditional SS is as critical.  I would draft an OC in 4th or later or try FA.  It will all shake out different by May.

An Updated Overview of New England’s 2014 Draft Needs

NEPD Editor: Matthew Jones

With the New England Patriots in the midst of what has been a decidedly underwhelming 2013 campaign preceded by a series of offseason losses and marred by poor offensive execution and a litany of defensive injuries, it’s time to take a look at some of the team’s biggest weaknesses and what options New England’s front office may have once the offseason begins.

CENTER:

The marked decline of center Ryan Wendell, who submitted an impressive 2012 season but has been exposed repeatedly in 2013 has been among the most disconcerting aspects of New England’s offensive performance this season. Wendell is set to become a free agent following the season, so upgrading at the position by bringing in a more sound pass protector, ideally with the type of size to anchor against the AFC East’s oversized defensive linemen, seems like a logical move, and one which Bill Belichick and New England’s war room have reportedly considered on a number of recent occasions, including in the first round of recent drafts (Eric Wood, Maurkice and Mike Pouncey.)

Unfortunately, the options available to the Patriots this offseason in both free agency and the NFL Draft relative to recent years are comparatively underwhelming, preventing the team from using their initial pick on a center. While the door should be left open for a potential second-or-third-day pick such as Arkansas standout Travis Swanson, who will enter the draft as a four-year starter and team captain with impressive size, this is a position which the Patriots may desire an improvement at more than they can realistically obtain one.

OFFENSIVE GUARD:

The team’s current starter at right guard, Dan Connolly, continues to regress and thus far has allowed two sacks and fourteen pressures, according to ProFootballFocus; it is becoming increasingly apparent that Connolly is being significantly overcompensated, so it should come as no surprise if he is released during the offseason. Prior to the season, it appeared as though former fifth-round pick Marcus Cannon was a candidate to succeed Connolly at the position, but he has seen the field for 148 snaps so far in 2013 and remains unconvincing.

Should the coaching staff decide that it’s time to move on, this is a position which could very well be targeted with an early pick in April’s draft, especially given the collection of offensive guards who could receive first-round consideration, a list which includes the likes of Baylor’s Cyril Richardson, Mississippi State’s Gabe Jackson, and Stanford’s David Yankey, all players with the size and bulk to hold up against the oversized defensive tackles which have given the Patriots problems in recent years. It’s also possible that the team will target an offensive tackle for a potential conversion to guard, as they did back in 2005 by drafting Fresno State left tackle Logan Mankins; Notre Dame left tackle Zack Martin may fit the bill.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE:

Free-agent signing Tommy Kelly has outperformed most expectations this season, but he sutained a knee injury not long after Vince Wilfork tore his right Achilles, with the absences of both players highlighting New England’s complete lack of depth at the position, which is currently being manned by starters Joe Vellano and Chris Jones, a pair of rookies who have thus far struggled to meet Bill Belichick’s high standards for run defense. Kelly turns 33 in December, with Wilfork turning 32 a month before him, meaning the Patriots shouldn’t get complacent merely because their top two options will return next season; instead, it’s time to consider the long-term future at the position by drafting players who could realistically develop into effective starters.

Recent free agent signing Armond Armstead was viewed as a second-or-third-round talent based on his time in the Canadian Football League, but has spent the entire season on the Non-Football Injury list, obscuring his future prospects. It’s entirely possible that the team views him as one of their future starters, but at the least, a long-term replacement at nose tackle with the ability to two-gap would be ideal; in this year’s draft, possible fits include Minnesota’s Ra’Shede Hageman and Penn State’s DaQuan Jones. Keep in mind that Wilfork himself was drafted one year before he became the team’s primary starter.

STRONG SAFETY:

New England’s long-term future at strong safety is far from determined, as the team has used two high draft picks in recent years on the position, selecting Illinois’ Tavon Wilson in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft and opting for Rutgers’ Duron Harmon in the third round this past April. Both players were presumably seen as potential successors to incumbent Steve Gregory, who has revealed himself to be a consistently average starter with no major deficiencies but no major strengths, either. Adrian Wilson was also signed this past offseason, but struggled in preseason and eventually landed on injured reserve, the trajectory of his tenure with the organization resembling John Lynch’s much more than Rodney Harrison’s.

It’s possible that a player such as Harmon could eventually step into the starting lineup, but this is also a position which is difficult to conclusively categorize as having been sufficiently addressed. However, the draft’s shallow safety class may force the Patriots to wait another year for a shot at a top prospect, as Alabama’s Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix is the only safety expected to be drafted in the first round. Later in the draft, Florida State’s Lamarcus Joyner may be able to provide the Patriots with a versatile defensive option who doubles as an effective return man, something the team has lacked for years. New England’s front office may also prefer giving the starting role to a veteran if they feel confident in Harmon’s long-term viability but do not want to give him the starting role so soon.

TIGHT END:

New England’s passing offense thrived in recent years thanks in large part to the team’s pair of tight end options, inline “Y” tight end Rob Gronkowski and flex “F” tight end Aaron Hernandez. With Hernandez now facing a charge of murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, the Patriots have an opening for an “F” tight end in their lineup which no player thus far has been able to fill. Over 396 offensive snaps, Michael Hoomanawanui has been the team’s most visible tight end, but he lacks the athleticism to truly challenge defenses in the passing game. Undrafted free agent Zach Sudfeld didn’t work out, so this is an area where New England could add an additional player for a role which is effectively devoid of any realistic solutions.

However, the team’s approach also appears to have shifted to one which emphasizes more three-receiver sets, allowing the team to run formations featuring some combination of Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, and Kenbrell Thompkins, so it’s possible that the importance of this position has diminished as a result of the personnel overhaul which occurred last offseason. This year’s draft class is populated with more inline options, so the Patriots’ 2013 offensive philosophy may carry over into 2014 as well. There appears to be no chance that North Carolina junior Eric Ebron will last until New England’s pick, and Colt Lyerla, another superficially appealing option, recently left the team and was arrested for cocaine possession.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

JJ, When I read through that post, for some reason, I feel that the most pressing needs are in the trenches - interior of both sides.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

MB,

I watched some of the FSU v Clemson game last night, with an eye on the DTs. Unfortunately, the kid who jumped out to me is a true So - Clemson's #48, D J Reader. He is listed on ESPN as 6'3", 335 (a well-built 335; not a fat-looking 335)

He actually got creamed by a double @10:43 in Q2 (the double got him to his knees); but was strong overall. He definitely overpowered single blockers, pushing them back to the QB. He will get stronger and should develop moves with another year of college experience.

I just had to put it out there because I will forget about this guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Wanted to post this article on needs.  I think it is critical we resign Talib.  If not CB goes right back to the top.  

Not sure what the order is but in general for me: DT, OG, TE, SS, OC.

I like that Vellano and Jones are getting good experience.  Still need DT/NT help and upgrade.  Connelly could swing back to center, but it looks like he and Wendell have regressed. Need either Cannon to step up or new blood.  Limited number of TEs to pick from in the draft.  Not sure traditional SS is as critical.  I would draft an OC in 4th or later or try FA.  It will all shake out different by May.

An Updated Overview of New England’s 2014 Draft Needs

NEPD Editor: Matthew Jones

With the New England Patriots in the midst of what has been a decidedly underwhelming 2013 campaign preceded by a series of offseason losses and marred by poor offensive execution and a litany of defensive injuries, it’s time to take a look at some of the team’s biggest weaknesses and what options New England’s front office may have once the offseason begins.

CENTER:

The marked decline of center Ryan Wendell, who submitted an impressive 2012 season but has been exposed repeatedly in 2013 has been among the most disconcerting aspects of New England’s offensive performance this season. Wendell is set to become a free agent following the season, so upgrading at the position by bringing in a more sound pass protector, ideally with the type of size to anchor against the AFC East’s oversized defensive linemen, seems like a logical move, and one which Bill Belichick and New England’s war room have reportedly considered on a number of recent occasions, including in the first round of recent drafts (Eric Wood, Maurkice and Mike Pouncey.)

Unfortunately, the options available to the Patriots this offseason in both free agency and the NFL Draft relative to recent years are comparatively underwhelming, preventing the team from using their initial pick on a center. While the door should be left open for a potential second-or-third-day pick such as Arkansas standout Travis Swanson, who will enter the draft as a four-year starter and team captain with impressive size, this is a position which the Patriots may desire an improvement at more than they can realistically obtain one.

OFFENSIVE GUARD:

The team’s current starter at right guard, Dan Connolly, continues to regress and thus far has allowed two sacks and fourteen pressures, according to ProFootballFocus; it is becoming increasingly apparent that Connolly is being significantly overcompensated, so it should come as no surprise if he is released during the offseason. Prior to the season, it appeared as though former fifth-round pick Marcus Cannon was a candidate to succeed Connolly at the position, but he has seen the field for 148 snaps so far in 2013 and remains unconvincing.

Should the coaching staff decide that it’s time to move on, this is a position which could very well be targeted with an early pick in April’s draft, especially given the collection of offensive guards who could receive first-round consideration, a list which includes the likes of Baylor’s Cyril Richardson, Mississippi State’s Gabe Jackson, and Stanford’s David Yankey, all players with the size and bulk to hold up against the oversized defensive tackles which have given the Patriots problems in recent years. It’s also possible that the team will target an offensive tackle for a potential conversion to guard, as they did back in 2005 by drafting Fresno State left tackle Logan Mankins; Notre Dame left tackle Zack Martin may fit the bill.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE:

Free-agent signing Tommy Kelly has outperformed most expectations this season, but he sutained a knee injury not long after Vince Wilfork tore his right Achilles, with the absences of both players highlighting New England’s complete lack of depth at the position, which is currently being manned by starters Joe Vellano and Chris Jones, a pair of rookies who have thus far struggled to meet Bill Belichick’s high standards for run defense. Kelly turns 33 in December, with Wilfork turning 32 a month before him, meaning the Patriots shouldn’t get complacent merely because their top two options will return next season; instead, it’s time to consider the long-term future at the position by drafting players who could realistically develop into effective starters.

Recent free agent signing Armond Armstead was viewed as a second-or-third-round talent based on his time in the Canadian Football League, but has spent the entire season on the Non-Football Injury list, obscuring his future prospects. It’s entirely possible that the team views him as one of their future starters, but at the least, a long-term replacement at nose tackle with the ability to two-gap would be ideal; in this year’s draft, possible fits include Minnesota’s Ra’Shede Hageman and Penn State’s DaQuan Jones. Keep in mind that Wilfork himself was drafted one year before he became the team’s primary starter.

STRONG SAFETY:

New England’s long-term future at strong safety is far from determined, as the team has used two high draft picks in recent years on the position, selecting Illinois’ Tavon Wilson in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft and opting for Rutgers’ Duron Harmon in the third round this past April. Both players were presumably seen as potential successors to incumbent Steve Gregory, who has revealed himself to be a consistently average starter with no major deficiencies but no major strengths, either. Adrian Wilson was also signed this past offseason, but struggled in preseason and eventually landed on injured reserve, the trajectory of his tenure with the organization resembling John Lynch’s much more than Rodney Harrison’s.

It’s possible that a player such as Harmon could eventually step into the starting lineup, but this is also a position which is difficult to conclusively categorize as having been sufficiently addressed. However, the draft’s shallow safety class may force the Patriots to wait another year for a shot at a top prospect, as Alabama’s Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix is the only safety expected to be drafted in the first round. Later in the draft, Florida State’s Lamarcus Joyner may be able to provide the Patriots with a versatile defensive option who doubles as an effective return man, something the team has lacked for years. New England’s front office may also prefer giving the starting role to a veteran if they feel confident in Harmon’s long-term viability but do not want to give him the starting role so soon.

TIGHT END:

New England’s passing offense thrived in recent years thanks in large part to the team’s pair of tight end options, inline “Y” tight end Rob Gronkowski and flex “F” tight end Aaron Hernandez. With Hernandez now facing a charge of murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, the Patriots have an opening for an “F” tight end in their lineup which no player thus far has been able to fill. Over 396 offensive snaps, Michael Hoomanawanui has been the team’s most visible tight end, but he lacks the athleticism to truly challenge defenses in the passing game. Undrafted free agent Zach Sudfeld didn’t work out, so this is an area where New England could add an additional player for a role which is effectively devoid of any realistic solutions.

However, the team’s approach also appears to have shifted to one which emphasizes more three-receiver sets, allowing the team to run formations featuring some combination of Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, and Kenbrell Thompkins, so it’s possible that the importance of this position has diminished as a result of the personnel overhaul which occurred last offseason. This year’s draft class is populated with more inline options, so the Patriots’ 2013 offensive philosophy may carry over into 2014 as well. There appears to be no chance that North Carolina junior Eric Ebron will last until New England’s pick, and Colt Lyerla, another superficially appealing option, recently left the team and was arrested for cocaine possession.

[/QUOTE]

Love the Zack Martin option, had mentioned him earlier on Tab 10 as well... just a very good all around OL with a pro pedigree (ND's OL coach ran the Bears OL from 2005-2010).  He doesn't have the prototype size/length (6-4 308) that teams look for in a LT, but projects as a very good OG and swing OT at the next level.  He's a legit Day 1/2 option and someone that I think they'll have real interest in (BK and BB have developed a relationship).

Agree that Hageman and Jones will be popular DT names, as will Kelcy Quarles (South Carolina), Beau Allen (Wisconsin) and Seattle's boy Danny Shelton (UW).

Been looking at the draft eligible S's and haven't been that impressed... amazed at how many tackles these kids miss... which drives me absolutely bleeping bonkers!   Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is certainly the cream of the crop and I also like Jordan Richards (Stanford) and Isaiah Lewis (Michigan State)... both are similar size (510-210).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Okay... I also watched the Iowa @ Minnesota game just the other day (recorded primarily to watch Hageman). Frankly I was not impressed with his performance on that game. It may have been a bad game for him, but here's what I saw.

He looks really good standing still. He's a long 311. He looks really athletic. However, in action he was not impressive.

Iowa kept running the ball on his side of the line, when he played 43 DT. Iowa kept running over him or around him for significant yards. And it was not like he was being double teamed a lot. Most of the time, he was handled one-on-one by the Iowa guard who's like 15 lbs lighter than Hageman.

He plays tall a lot of times. And he does not strike me as a high-, non-stop effort guy. Can BB fix DTs the way that Scar fixes OLmen?

There wrere a couple of plays when he showed some glimmer of potential. He lined up outside on a 34. He had the LT backpedaling but he sort of aborted his bull rush, letting the OT regain leverage. Hageman did not get to the QB. He did show he can push when he has a bit of space to generate a little bit of momentum.

IDK... DeAndre Coleman is a similar body type. I saw him play vs UCLA. I liked Coleman's play vs UCLA than Hageman's play vs Iowa.