***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

The TT game's not yet over but I've ahd a good look at Amaro. He is like Gronk when running routes and receiving - a beast.

However, almost 100% of the time he comes out of the slot. So he's more like Gronk being used like Welker all the time. I only saw him inline once - on 3 and goal at the 3 I think. I did not see him demonstrate he can help a power ground game.

Amaro and Ebron would be an interesting dilemma for teams looking to pick up a TE in the first round. I think Ebron is more well-rounded, but Amaro is the bigger mismatch issue for Ds -- more difficult to stop, particularly in the RZ.

I would hate seeing either one in our div. I would hate seeing Amaro more. I am hoping BUF and DET both take TEs (DET has got to be tired of Pettigrew's drops). The last place I'd like to see Amaro land is NYJ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I also like ASU DE Carl Bradford. I'd take him in the third round.

Sutton, I would not take in the first round. I don't know if I would take him in the second.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A few draft thoughts:

1)   Has anyone had a chance to check out Odell Beckham Jr WR LSU ? Very impressed with him. Best comparison is a better Mike Wallace. He seems to be just as fast as Wallace, has huge soft hands, runs crisp routes, returns Kicks and Punts and most importantly he is averaging more than 20 YPC in the SEC. If I recall correctly, he is at about 50 catches and 1100 yards. Even though the arguement can be made that we are well stocked at WR, it is not often you get a chance to draft a potential no 1 WR who would double up as a great KR/PR. The idea of him lined up across from Dobson would most certainly force teams to play majority of defensive snaps with 2 deep Safeties thus opening up seams for Edelman/Amendola/Gronk. 2 deep Safeties also implies at most a 7 man box which Ridley/Blount/Vereen would feast on. In a game where success is determined by mismatches, Odell Beckham is one of the better ones out there and unlike guys like Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins and Marqise Lee, he will most likely be available when we pick at the end of the 1st round.

2) I wonder why more is not being said about Trent Murphy DE Stanford. Guy seems to generate more pressure per pass rush opportunity than almost any DE in this draft. He is also a stud against the run. He is up to about 14 sacks and a bunch of TFL this season. IMO if he is there when we pick, then we should run and not walk to hand in the card. Ninkovich is currently first for number of snaps played and Jones is top 10, a great 3rd DE who could reduce the number of snaps played by those 2 will go a long way to making our DL even more effective. I am not convinced Buccanan or Bequette are those guys. Morgan Breslin DE USC and Marcus Smith DE Louisville would be great 4th options for DE. Picture a DE group of Jones, Ninkovich, Murphy and Breslin/Marcus Smith. Im drooling at the thought of it .....

3) Not really excited about the TE prospects in this draft with the exception of Ebron who will most likely not be available when we pick. ASJ seems to have trouble getting open and I'm troubled by the fact that he is seldom targeted by his QB. Amaro might be a good one but faced with the choice between him and Trent Murphy, I would go with Murphy as I think he is the better overall player. Fiedorowicz is a good player but a bit underwhelming. Beginning to think Lyerla as a late round pick is the best way to go.

[/QUOTE]

1) I've loved Beckham for a while. I was hoping he would fly under the rader to some extent. I think he'll "have a good combine" bringing him closer to the "top tier" when draft time comes around. I actually like him more than Lee, in terms of value for a few reasons.

First I actually prefer Beckham to make a tough catch more than Lee. Lee tends to body catch a lot of balls. He tries to use the same technique to high point a ball as well and come's up short. Beckham is a hands catcher. Huge hands. He has shown time and again that he can pluck a ball over the middle and take a big hit.

Second, while Lee is a very good route runner, Beckham is also able to run the entire tree and run it very well. You can line him up anywhere on the field and he's a threat to make a big play.

He has short area quickness and burst and jumps out at you when you watch him. Great run after the catch ability. I think you get him into an NFL training program and he could be a very good player for us.

Theres a few interesting players at WR in this years draft. Maybe some decent finds. Some big kids, 6'3-6'5 types with pretty good potential.

2) Murphy looks like a good player. I have to say I'm a little worried about his intial burst/jump off the los. And when he stops moving his feet he's very unproductive. Kind of depends who's on the board with him.

3) I have to disagree with you on ASJ. He's def not the fastest guy but I don't share that concern. He has great hands and knows how to operate with a defender on him. Has a great catch radius and can line up in different positions to get some space if needed. Would be a great add in the red zone. Get him in an NFL training program and add some muscle to his huge frame and he could be a force. I really think that is his biggest weakness. And thats something that you can fix.

3a) I also love Lyerla. Actually I love his value. This kid reminds me a little bit Q-Boldin, A-Hern and V Davis. He has very good straight line speed and can add at least 5-10 lbs on his frame. Monster athlete at 6'5/245. Very agile and has great burst. He can literally ine up anywhere to showcase both traits. He's great running the seam and will break away from defenders. And can take a quick out or bubble screen 8-12 yards and make some people miss. Or in his case run threw some tackles. I don't think I've ever seen him get tackled by just one guy. It usually takes a few guys. He shows great fight whether he's blocking or running after the catch. I think he would be a steal past the 3rd round.

3b) I like C.J. Fiedorowicz a lot. He doesn't have Jenkins athletic ability and looks a little stiff sometimes. He might not have much shake to him, but has good straight line speed, good hands and good body control for a huge kid. Unlike Jenkins C.J. looks like he actually wants to block and takes pride in it. He's much better taking on physical defenders than Jenkins. Who has been handled by some guys not known for their physical prowess. I wouldn't be mad at all if we double dipped at TE and took both C.J. and Lyerla.

It's amazing what this team has accomplished with so many key injuries. Just crazy how many very good-great players we lost this year. Despite that I really do like our chances going foward. However I get really excited thinking at what we could look like next year healthy and some solid work in FA/Draft. It'll be very interesting to see how we attack filling up some holes. I dont want to overreact, in terms of the DT/NT position. Even if 'Fork isn't close to himself. We have some guys playing now that would be solid depth on our roster. Plus Kelly and Armstead. We really only need a solid run defender that we can depend on.

I wouldn't mind McCullers in the 3rd/4th at all. Best run stopper in the draft and will automatically command a double team. He's an absolute monster that plays with good functional strength and leverage. He's versatile and can/will play NT/DT. He may not be athletic enough and have good enough feet to get around defenders, but he can def push a pocket and create holes for Jones on a stunt or a blitiz from Mayo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The TT game's not yet over but I've ahd a good look at Amaro. He is like Gronk when running routes and receiving - a beast.

However, almost 100% of the time he comes out of the slot. So he's more like Gronk being used like Welker all the time. I only saw him inline once - on 3 and goal at the 3 I think. I did not see him demonstrate he can help a power ground game.

Amaro and Ebron would be an interesting dilemma for teams looking to pick up a TE in the first round. I think Ebron is more well-rounded, but Amaro is the bigger mismatch issue for Ds -- more difficult to stop, particularly in the RZ.

I would hate seeing either one in our div. I would hate seeing Amaro more. I am hoping BUF and DET both take TEs (DET has got to be tired of Pettigrew's drops). The last place I'd like to see Amaro land is NYJ.

[/QUOTE]

Agree on both points about their inline blocking. Both are usually in the slot, especially Amaro. And when he does block on the 2nd level I have to say he does a decent job. The kid does has everything to be a beast in the rec game though. Ebron too. There are some TE's with some serious potential in this years draft. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers they put up at the combine. Not that I put too much stock on that. I really don't. It's just crazy to see guys 6'5-6'6 running so fast and moving so smooth.

I think it'll also be interesting to see how much value teams put the huge mismatch that these guys can create. We've never seen this many guys in one draft with this much upside. There are many teams that could use these guys. Will Buffalo look to upgrade the TE position one of the many other needs they have like ILB, WR, O-Line, S or DE. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a top TE or WR prospect falls to us if theres a run on O-Line and QB in the 1st. All the teams in our div have serious holes to fill. Especially the jets. I mean major holes. Again it'll be interesting to see how much value teams put into that position, especially when theres this much talent deserving of a 1st rd pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

MB, You added Carrethers to your list. Did you find video of him?

[/QUOTE]

Checked out this only 2013 tape as well as his 2012 tape and liked what I saw:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ryan-carrethers-vs-louisiana-lafayette-2013/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ryan-carrethers-vs-oregon-kent-state-2012/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We all know that BB hasn't drafted a WR in Rd 1 during his time in NE... it also doesn't appear likely to happen this year as he just drafted a WR in Rd 2 last season and they should be able to address the need in FA.

With that said, if he decided to do so this season, the most logical name would have to be Allen Robinson (believe multiple posters have already mentioned him).  We all know that he stays away from Rd 1 WR's due to the time needed to acclimate to an NFL offense, but this kid has already played (2) seasons in a Patriot-esque BO offense, so the ramp up time should be greatly reduced... he's also a very good route runner, demonstrating the ability to seperate in the short/intermediate area's of the field and can create on a consistent basis after the catch.  He's not a true deep threat, but his combo of body control, RAC ability and vision should lead to some big plays at the NFL level.  Not dynamic, but solid overall... reminds me a bit of a more dynamic Eric Decker.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I like a lot of WRs in this draft. I think there's a really good wide receiver in every round of this draft.

I like Robinson. He's been consistent over the last two seasons, with a lot of catches. Without getting technical, to me that means the QB likes throwing the ball to him, and he catches the balls thrown to him. By inference, that means he either gets separation a lot or he wins balls even when the QB throws contested balls to him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I like Mississippi St OG Gabe Jackson. 6-4, 335, I think he would make a good understudy to Mankins. Same body as Cannon. Meaner attitude than Cannon. Projected to eb available in the late third round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

I like a lot of WRs in this draft. I think there's a really good wide receiver in every round of this draft.

I like Robinson. He's been consistent over the last two seasons, with a lot of catches. Without getting technical, to me that means the QB likes throwing the ball to him, and he catches the balls thrown to him. By inference, that means he either gets separation a lot or he wins balls even when the QB throws contested balls to him.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, this class looks to be absolutely loaded with WR talent.

Not to mention he had a true frosh (albeit an elite one) throwing him the football this season.  He does seperate quite well in the short/intermediate areas and they use him frequently in the screen game, utilizing his ability to create after the catch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Sefarian-Jenkins is my guy at this point.  I've seen a lot of him. Not the fastest TE, but definitely the most upside as an all around TE, IMO.  If we could land him in the late 1st I'd be thrilled.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention he had a true frosh (albeit an elite one) throwing him the football this season.  He does seperate quite well in the short/intermediate areas and they use him frequently in the screen game, utilizing his ability to create after the catch.

[/QUOTE]

I wanted to see Evans and so far not impressed.  He has size but I don't see the explosiveness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wanted to see Evans and so far not impressed.  He has size but I don't see the explosiveness.

[/QUOTE]

To me, Evans is similar to BYU's Cody Hoffman. Big, strong, not necessarily the quickest or most agile WRs. Hoffman had a good bowl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

TAMU's defense is the worst D I have ever seen. I could take some buddies and score on this defense it's sorry hahahah. J Manziel's arm on the other hand looks very strong and accurate tonight. He might turn out not half bad as an NFL Q

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sefarian-Jenkins is my guy at this point.  I've seen a lot of him. Not the fastest TE, but definitely the most upside as an all around TE, IMO.  If we could land him in the late 1st I'd be thrilled.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 1000%

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree 1000%

[/QUOTE]

I think he will be available in the late second.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Some Mock Draft results from around the web:

Bleacher Report (Matt Miller): PSU WR Allen Robinson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1906095-2014-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-complete-7-round-projections/page/31

SB Nation (Dan Kadar): Baylor OG Cyril Richardson

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/30/5255782/2014-nfl-mock-draft-jadeveon-clowney-johnny-manziel-bridgewater

CBS (Rob Rang): ND DT Louis Nix III

CBS (Dana Brugler): ND DT Stephon Tuitt

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Walterfootball:  UW TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_1.php

Walterfootbal (Charlie Campbell:  ND DT Stephon Tuitt

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_1.php

Drafttek:  Stanford OG David Yankey

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

Fansided (Josh Sanchez):  TTU TE Jace Amaro

http://fansided.com/2013/12/30/2014-nfl-mock-draft-latest-first-round-projections-playoff/29/

Mynfldraft.com:  UW TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

December 31
    • (4:00 PM): 3rd SCTrojan junior to enter draft ... The exodus of underclassmen from Southern California continued today as junior DE George Uko announced he will be leaving school and entering the 2014 draft. The 6-3, 275-pound Uko, who had 5 sacks last year, figures to be a mid-round pick this coming April. Previously, USC had lost SS Dion Bailey and c Marcus Mrtin to this year's draft and are sre still waiting for the big shoe to fall as they wait for star junior WR Marqise Lee to announce his expected departure.
    • (11:30 AM): Tech TE declares for draft … Texas Tech junior TE Jace Amaro announced after last night’s Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State that he will be entering the 2014 draft. Amaro figures to be one of the first couple of players off at the position at the upcoming draft after setting a new NCAA record for most receiving yards by a tight end in a single season with 1,352 yards. Amaro also had 106 receptions on the year.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Brandin Cooks looks like the prototype Belichick WR.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I think there is a pretty good chance 5 QBs are picked in the top 10.

HOU - Bridgewater. I don't think BOB will miss a chance to draft a young, very coachable QB oozing with talent. Draft-wise, he does not have to worry too much about the D. I would be very surprised if HOU does not pick Bridgewater.

JAX - Manziel would be perfect for them. He is capable of spectacular play that will draw crowds to the stadium (Remember this was the team whose fans were demanding for their FO to take Tebow). He proved this week he is a leader and a winner. He is the type they need to inspire the team and the town. With several teams also looking for a QB, they cannot expect this kid to be available on their next turn to pick.

CLE -Bortles. If they get a coach or GM from th BB tree, they will want a QB with similar qualities to TB. I am pretty sure none of Campbell, Weeden or Tanney is that. Bortles is a very good, fast-rising, pocket passer who has demonstrated composure in clutch situations (vs Louisville).

OAK - Hundley. Pryor will not be there next season, thanks to things that his agent is saying about the OAK FO and staff. I think after the Pryor experience, they will still prefer a dual threat QB. After HUndley, IMO Boyd or Fales, would be huge downgrades. They will not risk losing a chance to pick up a QB like Hundley.

TBB - Carr. I cannot believe that the TBB FO could even think that Glennon is the long term answer at QB. On the other hand, here is Carr, a pretty mature QB with elite talent. I do not believe his stock dropped because of his bowl performance. His OL was really bad. TBB could go for an upgrade at WR, but they can do that in later rounds. Same case for OT. The driver tor them being forced to pick Carr here are that three other teams could pick a QB - MIN, NYJ and CHI.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If those five QBs are picked before MIN's turn, MIN would have to decide if McCarron is worth a first round pick. I think the kid is head shoulders better than other QBs remaining. If MIN picks up McCarron, that would be the the sixth QB taken in the first. With NYJ and CHI lurking, that scenario is plausible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

If those five QBs are picked before MIN's turn, MIN would have to decide if McCarron is worth a first round pick. I think the kid is head shoulders better than other QBs remaining. If MIN picks up McCarron, that would be the the sixth QB taken in the first. With NYJ and CHI lurking, that scenario is plausible.

[/QUOTE]

If there is a run, you may see teams left out going back up and trade with NE at the back end of RD 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If there is a run, you may see teams left out going back up and trade with NE at the back end of RD 1.

[/QUOTE]

That would be one of the implications. That said, I have a feeling that there are other teams on the back end of the first round who would also listen to any trade offers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes agree, but i watched the Duke-TAMU game last night and that J Crowder kid reminds me a ton of Cooks. maybe get him late round 4-5 as a poor mans cooks? i think the main focus right now is defense and TE. I'd rather worry about drafting a WR late

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I can also see BUF taking Amaro.

For three years, they have been on the receiving end of Gronk's impact on the field. I cannot see how they can miss an opportunity to draft a potential equalizing factor in a BUFvNEP shootout. Ebron would be a tempting alternative, but Amaro is a more difficult matchup for any D, especially in the RZ.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes agree, but i watched the Duke-TAMU game last night and that J Crowder kid reminds me a ton of Cooks. maybe get him late round 4-5 as a poor mans cooks? i think the main focus right now is defense and TE. I'd rather worry about drafting a WR late

[/QUOTE]

Crowder was very good last night, yes. I was't advocating drafting Cooks within the Top 64, so much as pointing out his skill set... though at this point, they could go in any # of directions, depending on how the board plays out.