***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brandin Cooks looks like the prototype Belichick WR.

[/QUOTE]

yes agree, but i watched the Duke-TAMU game last night and that J Crowder kid reminds me a ton of Cooks. maybe get him late round 4-5 as a poor mans cooks? i think the main focus right now is defense and TE. I'd rather worry about drafting a WR late

[/QUOTE]

Crowder was very good last night, yes. I was't advocating drafting Cooks within the Top 64, so much as pointing out his skill set... though at this point, they could go in any # of directions, depending on how the board plays out.  

[/QUOTE]

i got you, i got you. agree as well, all depends on the board. hopefully BB doesnt reach in the second round again for a projected UDFA lol

on the other hand MB Skov made a huge play for Stanford a couple minutes ago forced fumble. i checked him out, beast

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes agree, but i watched the Duke-TAMU game last night and that J Crowder kid reminds me a ton of Cooks. maybe get him late round 4-5 as a poor mans cooks? i think the main focus right now is defense and TE. I'd rather worry about drafting a WR late

[/QUOTE]

Crowder was very good last night, yes. I was't advocating drafting Cooks within the Top 64, so much as pointing out his skill set... though at this point, they could go in any # of directions, depending on how the board plays out.  

[/QUOTE]

i got you, i got you. agree as well, all depends on the board. hopefully BB doesnt reach in the second round again for a projected UDFA lol

on the other hand MB Skov made a huge play for Stanford a couple minutes ago forced fumble. i checked him out, beast

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that Wilson pick is still a headscratcher, ha... looking back at my 2012 board I was hoping for Uconn DT Kendall Reyes in that slot.

Yeah, kid is an animal ("intellectual brutality" is their mantra I believe, haha) and I love watching these types of games... with the amount of offense that's force fed down our throats, it's fun to watch a couple of defensive teams beat the phuk out of each other... I've always preferred teams with a defensive/smashmouth identity.

Dennard is my favorite player in this class, but he appears to have played himself out of range in Rd 1... kid has shut down ability.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that Wilson pick is still a headscratcher, ha... looking back at my 2012 board I was hoping for Uconn DT Kendall Reyes in that slot.

Yeah, kid is an animal ("intellectual brutality" is their mantra I believe, haha) and I love watching these types of games... with the amount of offense that's force fed down our throats, it's fun to watch a couple of defensive teams beat the phuk out of each other... I've always preferred teams with a defensive/smashmouth identity.

Dennard is my favorite player in this class, but he appears to have played himself out of range in Rd 1... kid has shut down ability.

[/QUOTE]

I liked Jerel worthy over Reyes for the best DT left at that point.

& Same. defensive games are the best. one of the better games i have seen was the classic 9-3 Bama-LSU game.

I LOVE Dennard, maybe its the name and cuz of the family relation to Alfonso but he is nasty. Plays physical out there love it. i dont think that. if teams look at his body of work, he's a first rounder. The combine and interviews will help/hurt a prospect alot too.. so we'll see

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd expect BB/NC to have plenty of interest in Utah DE/LB Trevor Reilly (6-5 255) on Day 2 or even the end of Rd 1.  With a lack of depth/talent off the edge (outside of Chandler/Nink) and questions about the LB corps moving forward (both Spikes and Fletcher are FA's), Reilly would be an ideal target to fill multiple roles due to his size and versatility.  Utah moves him all over the field (ILB/OLB/DE in multiple fronts and looks comfortbal/fluid/athletic in space)... very intriguing kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Skov's really good. IMO more smart and determined than fast. Impressive is how well he reads plays, times his move, and just rushes to the right spot to make a tackle or a sack attempt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there is a pretty good chance 5 QBs are picked in the top 10.

HOU - Bridgewater. I don't think BOB will miss a chance to draft a young, very coachable QB oozing with talent. Draft-wise, he does not have to worry too much about the D. I would be very surprised if HOU does not pick Bridgewater.

JAX - Manziel would be perfect for them. He is capable of spectacular play that will draw crowds to the stadium (Remember this was the team whose fans were demanding for their FO to take Tebow). He proved this week he is a leader and a winner. He is the type they need to inspire the team and the town. With several teams also looking for a QB, they cannot expect this kid to be available on their next turn to pick.

CLE -Bortles. If they get a coach or GM from th BB tree, they will want a QB with similar qualities to TB. I am pretty sure none of Campbell, Weeden or Tanney is that. Bortles is a very good, fast-rising, pocket passer who has demonstrated composure in clutch situations (vs Louisville).

OAK - Hundley. Pryor will not be there next season, thanks to things that his agent is saying about the OAK FO and staff. I think after the Pryor experience, they will still prefer a dual threat QB. After HUndley, IMO Boyd or Fales, would be huge downgrades. They will not risk losing a chance to pick up a QB like Hundley.

TBB - Carr. I cannot believe that the TBB FO could even think that Glennon is the long term answer at QB. On the other hand, here is Carr, a pretty mature QB with elite talent. I do not believe his stock dropped because of his bowl performance. His OL was really bad. TBB could go for an upgrade at WR, but they can do that in later rounds. Same case for OT. The driver tor them being forced to pick Carr here are that three other teams could pick a QB - MIN, NYJ and CHI.

[/QUOTE]

Correction on Bortles. When I saw that last drive against Louisville, he looked like TB. I actually saw their full game today against Baylor. He's closer to big Ben. Regardless, I think his performance validated his first round rating.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

I really like Skov. Looks like he's almost 100% after that injury a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he went in the first. Theres a lot of teams that need backer help. A lot. I think its obvious his best fit is like the one he's in now at Stanford. ILB in a 34. Like I said it really looks like hes almost 100% back from his injury. He's very explosive going into the backfield. Def one of his strengths. He's very good at getting through the line and sheding a block to get there if need be. Theres really 2 questions I have that I think might keep him out. Well really only one true concern.

1) His technique isn't the best sometimes. I'd ike to see him get lower. He'll lose yards on a tackle bc he comes in and wraps up a too high. I think this is fixable. I think this is a kid that will love playing next to a vet and won't mind getting coached up at all.

2) His lateral agility, change of direction speed concerns me a little. Again, when he explodes in a straight line he jumps off the screen. But changing gear/direction isn't there right now. As of today I'm not sure he's a sideline to sideline guy.

I think he still has room to grow as a player. And what he does, he does very well. If he works on his technique and leverage he could be a very good run stopper in the league.

It's amazing how fast Dennard shot up the board. Went from late first to top 12-ish, first CB gone. I think you can sense when/who that will happen to. You know guys won't stay stashed. Dennard is a guy everybody wants. Good size, really quick to diagnose a route and read the QB and play press man. If he has a good combine theres no way he makes it out of the top ten.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The more I watch the NFL evolve, the more I'm confinced you better look at LB's with speed. And, out of those see the ones who are the best tacklers.
    Tackling is terrible in todays NFL. This should be a big priority for Scouts. Basics.
    Wish we would go outside the Box, Draft a Fast TE in later rounds and convert him to LB. Easier said than done, I know.

Still looking for that thumper, who is smart at Safety. Hope the kid drafted last year steps into this role. Not a Gregory fan....at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The more I watch the NFL evolve, the more I'm confinced you better look at LB's with speed. And, out of those see the ones who are the best tacklers.
    Tackling is terrible in todays NFL. This should be a big priority for Scouts. Basics.
    Wish we would go outside the Box, Draft a Fast TE in later rounds and convert him to LB. Easier said than done, I know.

Still looking for that thumper, who is smart at Safety. Hope the kid drafted last year steps into this role. Not a Gregory fan....at all.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the thread, man!

Agreed on the speed aspect at LB... don't get me wrong, there's still a need for thumpers like Spikes at ILB, but you also need players that can play sideline to sideline and drop into coverage/match up against running backs and big athletic TE's.

I also agree on the overall tackling... in watching the amount of tape that I do, I'm amazed at how often tackles are missed, simply due to technique... players flying in out of control, lunging, dropping a head and or shoulder, going to low... resulting in either a whiff or the ball carrier bouncing off to pick up additional yardage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thanks MB and all here, mostly read, like to just throw some stuff in once in a while.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Alabama wins big tonight. Throwing it out there.

also, I've talked myself into the fact that we need a TE. I really like Amaro (longshot) ASJ (my favorite) and C.J. Fiedorowicz as all possible options. I think taking CJ in the second round would  be the best value selection. We need to address O-line or D-line in the first round imo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

also, I've talked myself into the fact that we need a TE. I really like Amaro (longshot) ASJ (my favorite) and C.J. Fiedorowicz as all possible options. I think taking CJ in the second round would  be the best value selection. We need to address O-line or D-line in the first round imo.

Yeah, I think they win by at least two touchdowns.

I think there's a very realistic chance that he targets CJ or Arthur at some point on Day 2, then maybe doubles up later on Day 3 with a local prouct like Umass' Rob Blanchflower (grew up the next town over from me).  

Another realistic option is to dip into FA for a TE and he has a history of targeting players that he's familiar with in conference, so another Iowa product, Scott Chandler (Buffalo) makes a lot of sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

seattle, 

Got a look at Crockett Gilmore today... looks like a solid late round TE option.  Good size, shows some ability inline and can move the sticks/provide some value in the redzone, but doesn't look like a kid that can seperate consistently and create on his own at the NFL level.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/crockett-gillmore-vs-san-jose-state-2013/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

MB, do you know if Troy Niklas is staying in school?  He would be a nice red zone target.  Good blocker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB, do you know if Troy Niklas is staying in school?  He would be a nice red zone target.  Good blocker.

[/QUOTE]

Believe he's leaning towards staying in school.  If not, I'd take him over ASJ every day of the week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

seattle, 

Got a look at Crockett Gilmore today... looks like a solid late round TE option.  Good size, shows some ability inline and can move the sticks/provide some value in the redzone, but doesn't look like a kid that can seperate consistently and create on his own at the NFL level.

[/QUOTE]

Not very different from my takeaway after watching thier bowl. I wrote it on my post-game assessment.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/2014-patriots-draft-thread/100/6790538?page=25

Gilmore, is a good value TE at FA or even the 7th round. He is on the bigger end of TEs who demosntrated good pass blocking skills. He also showed he can catch well. Route running can improve. During the middle half of the game, he seemed to have difficulty separating. He alsodid not show much on run blocking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't see Amaro getting past BUF; and likely, Ebron won't get past NYJ. Each would be a bit of a reach, but in terms of what it does for each team, I think will be worthwhile for them.

I don't know what is up with ASJ in 2013, but he just is not teh same TE as in 2012, whether as a receiver or as a blocker. I menitoned on my post-bowl assessment that there was something off with him. His presence (or lack of) made me feel like he was taking plays off. I saw what he was like last year and his performance in the bowl game did not match what I saw last year. The thing is I saw Washington 2 other times earlier this year (That's how I found Shelton), and on each game, he was as low key as he was on the bowl. Maybe that old fire gets lit up if it's TB throwing, IDK.

Between Fiederowicz and Lynch, I prefer Lynch. Fiederowics is usually inline, yet he almos never blocks anyone. He just rushes ahead to his receiving spot, yet he does not separate better than Lynch, who obviously has a block first mentality. IMO their catch productivity is similar, so I prefer the one who puts in effort in the other dimensions of the TE role.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm a big ASJ guy. I'd be thrilled if he was there and we got him. I have to admit I'd be a little surprised if he selected him though. It's funny you know know WHO BB will pick, but I think one can get a really good feel for WHAT he wants in a player. I've always held the opinion, along with many others that he wants the best NFL ready player that is there.

We def have needs, but I don't think theres anything that is a must have in round one. Although I would certainly argue that TE is at the top of the list if there was such a list. As much as I like ASJ I would be as happy if we drafted Lyerla in the middle-late rounds and CJ with a 3.

Although I personally don't think we need to go D-Line early. Unless we get a feel that 'Fork isn't going to be himself, which is very possible. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we went that way. Theres a nice bunch of D-Line FA's out there that we could with.

I just hope we use the pick bc right now there looks to be serious talent at the end of the first.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Fidd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although I personally don't think we need to go D-Line early. Unless we get a feel that 'Fork isn't going to be himself, which is very possible. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we went that way. Theres a nice bunch of D-Line FA's out there that we could with.

I just hope we use the pick bc right now there looks to be serious talent at the end of the first.

[/QUOTE]

Beyond Nix, I don't think there is a DT worth taking in the first round. Maybe Hageman (who I think is raw) and Tuitt (who IMO underachieved in 2013). There is great value in the mid-rounds. I think for the high pick, the Pats should go OL.

Adding mid-round DT to C Jones, Siliga, VW and Kelly should do the trick. You could also have Armstead.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

seattle, 

[/QUOTE]

Not very different from my takeaway after watching thier bowl. I wrote it on my post-game assessment.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/2014-patriots-draft-thread/100/6790538?page=25

Gilmore, is a good value TE at FA or even the 7th round. He is on the bigger end of TEs who demosntrated good pass blocking skills. He also showed he can catch well. Route running can improve. During the middle half of the game, he seemed to have difficulty separating. He alsodid not show much on run blocking.

[/QUOTE]

Good to know that we're seeing the same thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't see Amaro getting past BUF; and likely, Ebron won't get past NYJ. Each would be a bit of a reach, but in terms of what it does for each team, I think will be worthwhile for them.

I don't know what is up with ASJ in 2013, but he just is not teh same TE as in 2012, whether as a receiver or as a blocker. I menitoned on my post-bowl assessment that there was something off with him. His presence (or lack of) made me feel like he was taking plays off. I saw what he was like last year and his performance in the bowl game did not match what I saw last year. The thing is I saw Washington 2 other times earlier this year (That's how I found Shelton), and on each game, he was as low key as he was on the bowl. Maybe that old fire gets lit up if it's TB throwing, IDK.

Between Fiederowicz and Lynch, I prefer Lynch. Fiederowics is usually inline, yet he almos never blocks anyone. He just rushes ahead to his receiving spot, yet he does not separate better than Lynch, who obviously has a block first mentality. IMO their catch productivity is similar, so I prefer the one who puts in effort in the other dimensions of the TE role.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I like Lynch as well in this draft. He is more of a blocker like you said, but i think we need a big receiveing TE. Hooman is a good blocker already so if we get some who blocks decently and can be a bigger threat in the field recieving especially in the red zone which is why i want ASJ. He has the athletic ability to make plays on the ball, and with a QB like Tom he will get balls thrown into windows where only the receiver can get it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Sorry i haven't been posting as much as usual as I was suspended from BDC for 90 days! however it is my opinion that depending on how the first round plays out that the Patriots are definately going to take a LB or TE first. I love Skov but I also think that the need at TE is more important to fill so with that said I'm all in on Serefin-Jenkins provided noone select him before the Patriots selection, my second choice is O'Leary, he catches everything when called upon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Sorry i haven't been posting as much as usual as I was suspended from BDC for 90 days! however it is my opinion that depending on how the first round plays out that the Patriots are definately going to take a LB or TE first. I love Skov but I also think that the need at TE is more important to fill so with that said I'm all in on Serefin-Jenkins provided noone select him before the Patriots selection, my second choice is O'Leary, he catches everything when called upon.

90 days?  How did you get suspended for 90 days?  With the elementary school pissing contest that roams from thread to thread turning this board in a dumpster fire, how did you get suspended for 90 days? ha.... welcome back!

I agree that O'Leary is an underrated kid and you don't often see an offensive player without taped wrists, fingers and/or gloves... kid is old school in that capacity.   We'll see if he declares.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Fidd's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm a big ASJ guy. I'd be thrilled if he was there and we got him. I have to admit I'd be a little surprised if he selected him though. It's funny you know know WHO BB will pick, but I think one can get a really good feel for WHAT he wants in a player. I've always held the opinion, along with many others that he wants the best NFL ready player that is there.

We def have needs, but I don't think theres anything that is a must have in round one. Although I would certainly argue that TE is at the top of the list if there was such a list. As much as I like ASJ I would be as happy if we drafted Lyerla in the middle-late rounds and CJ with a 3.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a key point.

FA (What they do with Spikes/Talib, etc.) will tell us a lot, but outside of RB, you could make an argument for every position grouping in Rd 1 at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah I like Lynch as well in this draft. He is more of a blocker like you said, but i think we need a big receiveing TE. Hooman is a good blocker already so if we get some who blocks decently and can be a bigger threat in the field recieving especially in the red zone which is why i want ASJ. He has the athletic ability to make plays on the ball, and with a QB like Tom he will get balls thrown into windows where only the receiver can get it.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Joe, I was just stating a compare between Lynch and Fiederowicz. My point was that you CJ is not a more accomplished receiver than Lynch, but Lynch has a better mindset to the TE role. Fiederowicz either blocks or runs a route. Ds can tell immediately waht he;s up to. Lynch blocks on run plays and blocks before running the route on pass plays.

Fiederowicz

2013: 30 / 299 / 6

2012: 45 / 433 / 1

Lynch

2013: 30 / 459 / 5

2012: 24 / 431 / 3

As for ASJ, I would not be upset if BB takes him.