***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Seattle

Interested in your take on DTs in draft compared to what Pat have already depending much on 

fitness of VW and TK. Add Jones, Siliga, Armstead who BB has mentioned plus Forston.

Will a possible second round pick be better than any above or will BB think VW and TK may be past it. May all depend on recovery of some mentioned?

M

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seattle

Interested in your take on DTs in draft compared to what Pat have already depending much on 

fitness of VW and TK. Add Jones, Siliga, Armstead who BB has mentioned plus Forston.

Will a possible second round pick be better than any above or will BB think VW and TK may be past it. May all depend on recovery of some mentioned?

M

[/QUOTE]

Unpopular among posters, but I am actually in favor of them giving up the first round pick for a 2015 first.

On your DT question:

I definitely think they should draft a DT. I don't really see any wisdom in planning your 2014 season on the assumption that both your 32+ year old DTs will come back to full health. Secondly, health issues or not, they should start infusing youth in the interior line.

That said, I don't think the DTs who will be taken on the second round are much better than some DTs who will be avilable in the third or fourth. Unless Tuitt or Nix falls to the second round, I'd rather that they pick a DT no earlier than the third round. Actually, I believe in BB more than others such that I would not complain if he picks up Hageman in the second (I think Hageman is a big reach in the first).

I would rather they focus their higher picks on the OL. Maybe TE, if any of Ebron, Amaro or ASJ (in the second round) is available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

PS ....Forgot to mention Vellano as well on DT's.............

Thanks Seattle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

MB

TB's successor........from San Jose State........David Fales........mark this down.

Mallett traded for second round.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the thread!

I could very well see them target him on Day 2.... good feet and pocket mobility, quick release, good accuracy and tough in the short/intermediate areas, competitive, tough, solid frame... doesn't have an elite arm on throws down the field, but he's adequate in that dept.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mizzou DE Kony Ealy to declare... as I've mentioned, he reminds me a bit of Chandler Jones and I feel he's an under the radar option in Rd 1.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/missouri-de-kony-ealy-declares-for-nfl-draft/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Could NE have (2) players on the roster with the same name to start camp?

In watching tape of SJSU QB David Fales, one of their WR's really stood out to me.

Smallish (5-10 174) but sudden kid; saavy route runner that knows how to set up his man, can create after the catch and demonstrated solid toughness and ball skills.  After watching him, I check out his stats and it looks like the productivity matches the skill set with 79-1350-15 in 2013 and a decent 54-691-11 in 2012... kid knows how to find the endzone.

His name is Chandler Jones.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I have Early rated as a late 1st RD pick. He could be an option NE depending how the first Rd goes.  I just wonder if NE will stay or trade out.  You could have a scenarion of ASJ, Hageman and Early sitting there for NE.  It would be difficult to pick.  I would go with Early.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll tell ya... the more tape I watch on Allen Robinson, the more I want Allen Robinson in Foxboro.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I have Early rated as a late 1st RD pick. He could be an option NE depending how the first Rd goes.  I just wonder if NE will stay or trade out.  You could have a scenarion of ASJ, Hageman and Early sitting there for NE.  It would be difficult to pick.  I would go with Early.

I'm trying to like ASJ, I really am... but I just have huge questions about this intensity and passion for the game.  The size, skill and ability are all there, but I don't watch his tape and think... wow, this kid gets after it... which is what I want to see in a 1st round pick.

Overall, he's kind of a polarizing prospect on this thread... people either love him or hate him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm trying to like ASJ, I really am... but I just have huge questions about this intensity and passion for the game.  The size, skill and ability are all there, but I don't watch his tape and think... wow, this kid gets after it... which is what I want to see in a 1st round pick.

Overall, he's kind of a polarizing prospect on this thread... people either love him or hate him.

[/QUOTE]

Yup... Same thoughts I ahve about ASJ.

On page 26 of this thread, I wrote my review of Washington's bowl and, as you may remember, had this to say about ASJ's game.

UW #88, TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (6-6, 276, proj rnd 1):

I don’t know what to make of his play today. I only saw him make one nice catch, for a TD. Throughout the game, he did a decent job blocking. That said, there is something off about his body language. He did not look engaged. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to some extent, he looked like he was taking plays off. A little disappointing, frankly.

It was not the first time I saw Washington this season, therefore not the first time I saw that about him.

I said I might not mind it if BB took him because there is a chance that the notion of the GOAT throwing to him might light a little bit of intensity in his game.

It's a double edged sword of course. Upon seeing his lack of intensity, TB might interpret that as lack of effort, and just decide he does not want to throw in ASJ's direction. He's done that to other people.

The TD catch he made on tehir bowl game looked so easy, when it really was not that easy. That just validates the amount of talent he has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

PS ....Forgot to mention Vellano as well on DT's.............

Thanks Seattle.

[/QUOTE] Sopoaga

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya MB, I really not advocating any of them.  I am trying to gage who would be there in the 1st Rd when NE picks.  I think if someone doesn't drop, NE could move back once again, but you never know.  Ebron and Amaro will probably be selected before ASJ. One of them would be a better pick IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup... Same thoughts I ahve about ASJ.

On page 26 of this thread, I wrote my review of Washington's bowl and, as you may remember, had this to say about ASJ's game.

UW #88, TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (6-6, 276, proj rnd 1):

I don’t know what to make of his play today. I only saw him make one nice catch, for a TD. Throughout the game, he did a decent job blocking. That said, there is something off about his body language. He did not look engaged. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to some extent, he looked like he was taking plays off. A little disappointing, frankly.

It was not the first time I saw Washington this season, therefore not the first time I saw that about him.

I said I might not mind it if BB took him because there is a chance that the notion of the GOAT throwing to him might light a little bit of intensity in his game.

It's a double edged sword of course. Upon seeing his lack of intensity, TB might interpret that as lack of effort, and just decide he does not want to throw in ASJ's direction. He's done that to other people.

The TD catch he made on tehir bowl game looked so easy, when it really was not that easy. That just validates the amount of talent he has.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, definitely remember your post.

I'd think that TB would be more prone to tune a kid out if he doesn't feel like he's giving the effort.

Heck, I'd rather they target Kelvin Benjamin in Rd 1; utilize him in more of the AH flex role... kid will cause matchup problems wherever he lines up... hands can be inconsistent, but he's far more dynamic than ASJ and has a ton of big play ability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

UCLA OL- Xavier Su'a-Filo (PE's Boy and Big 53 Board member) to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/ucla-ol-xavier-sua-filo-declares-for-nfl-draft/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

[QUOTE]

Mizzou DE Kony Ealy to declare... as I've mentioned, he reminds me a bit of Chandler Jones and I feel he's an under the radar option in Rd 1.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/04/missouri-de-kony-ealy-declares-for-nfl-draft/

[/QUOTE]
    funny MB when i was watching the game the other night i was wondering if you had him on the watch list---I though he looked good; strong and athletic, but i don't get to see many college games so i was thinking mayb he was just some guy having a good game that night  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Bleacher report has Ealy going 11 to Tennessee 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Any interest in Louisville DE Marcus Smith? Had a pretty good bowl game vs Miami.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I gotta admit, Smith is one of the best players that I've on tape all season, and I've seen a lot of players on tape.  This kid is everywhere on the field and I love his aggression, and closing speed... looks like a true defensive weapon and it wouldn't surprise me if he's mentioned as a Rd 1 kid when all is said and done.  Would love to see him end up in Foxboro.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

Bleacher report has Ealy going 11 to Tennessee 

Wow, that's as high as I've seen him... generally rated as a Top 35 or so prospect, but now that he's declared, I think you coud see him as analysts will give him rise a longer, more in-depth look.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The 2014 QB pool continues to shrink...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/report-brett-hundley-returning-to-ucla/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any interest in Louisville DE Marcus Smith? Had a pretty good bowl game vs Miami.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I gotta admit, Smith is one of the best players that I've on tape all season, and I've seen a lot of players on tape.  This kid is everywhere on the field and I love his aggression, and closing speed... looks like a true defensive weapon and it wouldn't surprise me if he's mentioned as a Rd 1 kid when all is said and done.  Would love to see him end up in Foxboro.

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit... I have only seen one game of his. But he looked really impressive. He could be the type of kid who would still be effective on a bad day.

Did you see Vic Beasley against Ohio State the other night. He really dominated OSU's LT. He made his own sacks, but beyond that his pressure facilitated some of his teammates' sacks. Somehow that last phrase does not sound right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

OSU's Shazier to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/ohio-states-shazier-makes-nfl-move-official/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Heck, I'd rather they target Kelvin Benjamin in Rd 1; utilize him in more of the AH flex role... kid will cause matchup problems wherever he lines up... hands can be inconsistent, but he's far more dynamic than ASJ and has a ton of big play ability.

[/QUOTE]

Benjamin... that kid is a momnster too. I am not too worried about his occasional drops, because he always seems to come up big on big moments. The more intense the moment is, the better he seems to get. His drops tend to be when he does things casually on routine plays. I think addressable. The cltuch performance, i something you either have or don't.

That said, some outlets are also projecting him in the first round. I don't think I'd want the Pats to pick up a WR in the first. And this year, there are at least 6 very good WRs who are at least 6-3. Someone's gonna be available in the third, even fourth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

Benjamin... that kid is a momnster too. I am not too worried about his occasional drops, because he always seems to come up big on big moments. The more intense the moment is, the better he seems to get. His drops tend to be when he does things casually on routine plays. I think addressable. The cltuch performance, i something you either have or don't.

That said, some outlets are also projecting him in the first round. I don't think I'd want the Pats to pick up a WR in the first. And this year, there are at least 6 very good WRs who are at least 6-3. Someone's gonna be available in the third, even fourth.

[/QUOTE]

Please let it be Jared Abbrederis, please let it be Jared Abbrederis, please let it be Jared Abbrederis... haha.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit... I have only seen one game of his. But he looked really impressive. He could be the type of kid who would still be effective on a bad day.

Did you see Vic Beasley against Ohio State the other night. He really dominated OSU's LT. He made his own sacks, but beyond that his pressure facilitated some of his teammates' sacks. Somehow that last phrase does not sound right.

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Brandin Cooks looks like the prototype Belichick WR.

[/QUOTE]

I like Cooks a lot.

Have you looked up Adams? In the third quater of the season, Cooks and Adams had similar Catch and yards numbers so I decided to watch their games and do a compare. What I observed (again I have to caveat: I only watched two of Cooks' games and two of Adams') both are good at making the hard catch, but Adams is more physical (he's a thick 6-2) and for some reason gets open more in the end zone. The end-of-season TD numbers bear that out. Admas has 24 and Cooks had 16. Both were known to the opposing Ds as threats, so you could see both were getting a lot of attention.

In the combine, I anticipate Cooks will be faster. However, if Adams can get in the sub 4.5 numbers and be not to much slower than Cooks, I actually prefer Adams.

He did not impress in their Bowl because Carr had a bad day, so you may have to find videos of other games.

BTW, at the time that I did that comparison, I believe Allen Robinson was the leader in catches and yards, and Benjamin had not picked up steam on TDs yet.