***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brandin Cooks looks like the prototype Belichick WR.

[/QUOTE]

I like Cooks a lot.

Have you looked up Adams? In the third quater of the season, Cooks and Adams had similar Catch and yards numbers so I decided to watch their games and do a compare. What I observed (again I have to caveat: I only watched two of Cooks' games and two of Adams') both are good at making the hard catch, but Adams is more physical (he's a thick 6-2) and for some reason gets open more in the end zone. The end-of-season TD numbers bear that out. Admas has 24 and Cooks had 16. Both were known to the opposing Ds as threats, so you could see both were getting a lot of attention.

In the combine, I anticipate Cooks will be faster. However, if Adams can get in the sub 4.5 numbers and be not to much slower than Cooks, I actually prefer Adams.

He did not impress in their Bowl because Carr had a bad day, so you may have to find videos of other games.

BTW, at the time that I did that comparison, I believe Allen Robinson was the leader in catches and yards, and Benjamin had not picked up steam on TDs yet.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, bit of a difficult comparison due to their different styles.  I think Adams vs. Robinson is the better comp and I think they have very similar games... good sized kids with decent/good speed that can create after the catch are are weapons in the red zone... I prefer Robinson based on the tape I've seen... didn't see a ton of separation from Adams, but I only saw tape of a single game.

I like Robinson the best, followed by Cooks, then Adams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Landry, Beckham, Watkins and Bryant to declare:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/report-lsu-losing-odell-beckham-jarvis-landry-to-nfl-draft/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/reports-clemson-losing-wrs-watkins-bryant-to-nfl/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Blake Bortes and DeAnthony Thomas to declare for the draft:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/report-ucf-qb-blake-bortles-to-declare-for-nfl-draft/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/oregons-deanthony-thomas-headed-to-nfl/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Check out my sleeper QB (Ball State's Keith Wenning) at 9PM EST on ESPN, in the GoDaddy Bowl.

Ball State WR Willie Snead is another name to keep any eye on as is Arkansas St DT Ryan Carrethers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not confirmed, but Stephon Tuitt is expected to declare for the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/report-lsu-losing-odell-beckham-jarvis-landry-to-nfl-draft/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/reports-clemson-losing-wrs-watkins-bryant-to-nfl/

[/QUOTE]

I did not click on the links, but if Bryant is Clemson's Bryant, he could be an interesting very late round option, even FA. I think he is one year away from being what Benjamin is today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

The 2014 QB pool continues to shrink...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/report-brett-hundley-returning-to-ucla/

[/QUOTE]

I was playing around with the QB scenarios.

I think it would be a big surprise if OB did not take Bridgewater. Originally, I had...

Manziel to JAX

Bortles to CLE

Hundley to OAK

Carr to TBB.

I really think OAK will opt for a dual threat QB. So, with Hundley out, unless Manziel or Bortles falls to them, they may not pick a QB in the first.

If JAX chooses Bortles, I don't think CLE will want Manziel. Manziel would be there for OAK. They may bite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did not click on the links, but if Bryant is Clemson's Bryant, he could be an interesting very late round option, even FA. I think he is one year away from being what Benjamin is today.

[/QUOTE]

agree . i like the idea of us grabbing this kid in the 6th or 7th rd... big body and goes up and gets it. a little raw but TB can fix that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Check out my sleeper QB (Ball State's Keith Wenning) at 9PM EST on ESPN, in the GoDaddy Bowl.

Ball State WR Willie Snead is another name to keep any eye on as is Arkansas St DT Ryan Carrethers.

[/QUOTE]

Just started watching the game. Wenning's only played 6 snaps and I am already going to say that I really like Carrethers. I believe CBS has him in the fourth. I'd take the kid in the third.

Active legs. Active hands.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just started watching the game. Wenning's only played 6 snaps and I am already going to say that I really like Carrethers. I believe CBS has him in the fourth. I'd take the kid in the third.

Active legs. Active hands.

[/QUOTE]

I change my mind. Carrethers does belong in the fourth or fifth

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• Irish DE enters draft ... Notre Dame DE Stephen Tuitt has confirmed that he will be leaving school and entering the 2014 draft. Tuitt entered the season rated as a potential top 5-10 pick this coming May, but was never really 100% after undergoing off-season surgery for a sportsd hernia caused his stock to dip somewhat. Still, the 6-5, 295-pounder is still at worst a latter opening round prospect with the potential to move back up if he shows well at the combine.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

.......Indiana junior WR Cody Latimer has also indicated that he will be throwing his name in the proverbial draft hat this spring. And Latimer, who has a nice size-speed could be something of a sleeper after catching 72 passes for over 1,000 yards this past season.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Name: Cody Latimer 
    College: Indiana     Number: 3
    Height: 6-2   Weight: 215 
    Position: WR  Pos2: 
    Class/Draft Year: Jr/2015
    40 Low: 4.42   40 Time: 4.52  40 High: 4.62 

Anyone have a scouting report?  He has had some big games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney Comments Off sbischoff  December 31, 2013 Uncategorized The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney

There are times when evaluating talent for the NFL that a look at the player’s measurable tells the tale. For Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney, the measurables that matter all happen to fall in his favor, in a very big way.

McKinney is 6’4-3/4” tall, currently weighs 252 pounds and has a ho-hum 7 percent body fat. He can gain weight and grow without losing any explosive playmaking ability at all. He is expected to post a 42” vertical jump, a 10’3” broad jump and a 40-yard dash time around 4.45 seconds. These numbers are going to make NFL people drool.

There are reasons for McKinney to enter this draft, some that will remain quiet, and some as obvious as looking at anyone’s big board. Elite athletes always are near the top of the draft, but this year you will not find a body type like his anywhere near the top of the 2014 draft big board.

McKinney is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL. Let’s look at the elite pass rushers available in Round 1. UCLA OLB Anthony Barr is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Buffalo OLB Kahlil Mack is 6’2” and 244 pounds. Clemson OLB Vic Beasley is 6’2” and 235 pounds. BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier is 6’2” and 226 pound.

There is a body type that’s missing, and in particular one attribute missing. That attribute is length and we know what long arms can do for a player trying to get to the quarterback. McKinney has the body type that bridges the gap from the solely defensive end types (think Clowney) to the OLB types. The OLB types are going to have a tough time setting the edge against the run as they are too small.

Benardrick McKinney is a player who has the movement skills to play OLB at the next level. When you look at his long-armed frame and then consider that he weighs 252 pounds at 7 percent body fat, it means he can add weight and play defensive end. There aren’t many players who are capable of doing this, especially one as highly thought of as McKinney.

McKinney played OLB as a freshman in the 2012 season and totaled 102 tackles. Needless to say, he had an incredible freshman season. The Mississippi State staff moved him to the middle of the defense for the 2013 season and his production dipped, but are they truly playing McKinney at his strength by moving him inside?

At the end of the day, McKinney offers something different than the other premier players in the 2014 NFL draft. He offers height, length and long arms to go along with electric athletic ability and while some of the other prospects may have a few of these physical and athletic traits, none have them all in one package like Benardrick McKinney does.

Interesting arguement to me, but I like football IQ also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney Comments Off sbischoff  December 31, 2013 Uncategorized The Case for Length: Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney

There are times when evaluating talent for the NFL that a look at the player’s measurable tells the tale. For Mississippi State OLB Benardrick McKinney, the measurables that matter all happen to fall in his favor, in a very big way.

McKinney is 6’4-3/4” tall, currently weighs 252 pounds and has a ho-hum 7 percent body fat. He can gain weight and grow without losing any explosive playmaking ability at all. He is expected to post a 42” vertical jump, a 10’3” broad jump and a 40-yard dash time around 4.45 seconds. These numbers are going to make NFL people drool.

There are reasons for McKinney to enter this draft, some that will remain quiet, and some as obvious as looking at anyone’s big board. Elite athletes always are near the top of the draft, but this year you will not find a body type like his anywhere near the top of the 2014 draft big board.

McKinney is going to be a pass rusher in the NFL. Let’s look at the elite pass rushers available in Round 1. UCLA OLB Anthony Barr is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Buffalo OLB Kahlil Mack is 6’2” and 244 pounds. Clemson OLB Vic Beasley is 6’2” and 235 pounds. BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy is 6’3” and 235 pounds. Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier is 6’2” and 226 pound.

There is a body type that’s missing, and in particular one attribute missing. That attribute is length and we know what long arms can do for a player trying to get to the quarterback. McKinney has the body type that bridges the gap from the solely defensive end types (think Clowney) to the OLB types. The OLB types are going to have a tough time setting the edge against the run as they are too small.

Benardrick McKinney is a player who has the movement skills to play OLB at the next level. When you look at his long-armed frame and then consider that he weighs 252 pounds at 7 percent body fat, it means he can add weight and play defensive end. There aren’t many players who are capable of doing this, especially one as highly thought of as McKinney.

McKinney played OLB as a freshman in the 2012 season and totaled 102 tackles. Needless to say, he had an incredible freshman season. The Mississippi State staff moved him to the middle of the defense for the 2013 season and his production dipped, but are they truly playing McKinney at his strength by moving him inside?

At the end of the day, McKinney offers something different than the other premier players in the 2014 NFL draft. He offers height, length and long arms to go along with electric athletic ability and while some of the other prospects may have a few of these physical and athletic traits, none have them all in one package like Benardrick McKinney does.

Interesting arguement to me, but I like football IQ also.

[/QUOTE]

Wish I could find some tape!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Also, Louisville's Marcus Smith should be in the list of top pass rushers in this class... no idea why his name hasn't caught on yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am speaking well out of turn here as he is the only player I have seen any film on but I can not imagine him being available anywhere near the bottom of the 1st. That kid looks very good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Looks like Jace Amaro will be declaring for the draft, any chance he makes it to the Pats?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am speaking well out of turn here as he is the only player I have seen any film on but I can not imagine him being available anywhere near the bottom of the 1st. That kid looks very good.

[/QUOTE]

He actually received a 2nd round grade from the draft advisory board, but I also don't think he'll be available when NE selects... if he is, I think they'd have a hard time passing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Looks like Jace Amaro will be declaring for the draft, any chance he makes it to the Pats?

Amaro has a chance to be the first TE off the board, I don't expect him to be available when NE selects.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amaro has a chance to be the first TE off the board, I don't expect him to be available when NE selects.  

[/QUOTE]

just went through a few mocks out there and a few had the top 3 TEs gone by pick 25 a couple of mocks, all three in the top 20.  I don't see that happening but looking like he's not going to be there, not even close.  What you guys been talking in regards to Allen Robinson?  I have lots of catching up to do lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ok pulled together my top 3 per round and here's my thinking:

Day 1 - I'm looking for the beasties in the two biggest positions of need right now, DT and TE. Even though I think Wilfork and Kelly will be back both will be coming back from lower body injures a year old. That says to me you need to have a starting caliber player ready to be plugged in. I like Siliga as an early down sub and maybe Jones or Vellano as a sub rusher but we still have no clue if Armstead can play. I'd like to rebuild the anchor spot and get ready for Wilfork to leave this draft if possible.

1st round:

Ra'Shede Hageman DT - Minn - 6'6" 311lbs

I know MB has cooled off on Hageman but I still see an all around DL who is quick enough to play 34 DE and 43 DT. If he adds some consistency he has the ability to dominate behind the line and has shown ability to drop back into coverage. The key word that BB loves is versatile and that describes Hageman to a T

Jace Armaro TE - TT - 6'5" 260

I see TEs going the RB route in the draft. Lots of hype but maybe only two TE's will be taken in the 1st so there is a shot at Armaro making to the mid 20-late 20 range which should be good enough for the Pats to get him if they want him. Natural pass catcher with sneaky speed and good route running for a TE. Needs to work on blocking a bit but certainly ahead of most TE's coming out of college. He's an all around TE much like Gronk.

Ego Ferguson DT - LSU - 6'3" 309 

If declaring Ferguson could be the sleeper of the first. He's got good power for his size with surprising great burst on the line. His quickness has let him get into the backfield on more occassions than not. I've also seen him improve his hands greatly over the last year and develop a nice pass rushing move over to bull rush. I actually think he's a better DT with a higher ceiling than his teammate Johnson who's a first round grade.

Tuitt would be an obvious choice in the 1st but I think he'll earn his draft stock back at the combine and rise into the teens out of reach for the Pats.

Day 2 - Here I'm still looking line but also opening up to DBs and WRs

2nd round:

Zack Martin OT/OG - ND - 6'4" 304

I like Martin a lot who has excellent vision for picking up blitzers. If he was a bit bigger he'd be a teen pick at T but his size might scare a couple teams off. However, I want him to take a Mankins approach. I see him as a future LG who could play T in a pinch. If Vollmer isn't long for the Pats he can take over at RT and push Cannon inside or he can play G inside too. He might not make it to the middle of the 2nd round though as some team might take a shot on him in the top 50

C.J. Fiedorowicz TE - Iowa - 6'7" 265

There is not much I don't like about the kid. He's a jack of all trades but a master of known. An effective receiver but won't blow you away with speed or route running. An effective blocker but don't expect him to get off more than 1 or 2 blocks. He's a upgrade Hooman who has potential to be a poormans Gronk.

David Yankey OT/G - Stanford - 6'5" 311

Yankey is a tectical blocker. He might not blow you away with athletism but he will control you at the line. Able to shift from T to G if he can add a little weight without losing foot speed he'd make for a good RT. He is better as a zone blocker but switches well between run blocking and pass blocking.

3rd round:

Antone Exum CB/S - Vir T - 6'1" 225

Exum has played well as both a S and CB while at Vir Tech. If not for injury concerns he'd be a early 2nd late 1st round consideration much like Meriweather was. A bit slow to play outside CB he can in a pinch but given his frame I see him as a large FS or SS. At 225lbs and over 6'1" he would have little issue covering TE's out of the backfield on moving up to the box and stuffing a run. I know most are looking for a LB who can convert to SS (as I still am too) but I wouldn't be shocked to see BB go for a SS sized CB and have him play more a FS role next to McCourty who can move up to the box.

Brandon Coleman WR - Rutgers - 6'6" 220

I know we have some WRs already and some more via IR last year but it's hard for me to say no to someone with that size and athletic ability. He's a DC's mismatch nightmare in the RZ as with his quick feet LB's and S's should have a hard time covering him and no CB will climb a ladder higher than him. Considering or RZ issues this year having a big RZ WR specialist might be the way to go. Imagine a receiver formation of Dobson, Gronk, Feid and Coleman with Vereen or Ridley in the backfield and make the other team cry looking up.

Will Sutton DT/DE - Ari - 6'1" 295

Sutton has fallen a long way after adding weight. If he was smart he'd drop 10lbs by the combine and get his speed back up. The weight he gained to become a DT has really hurt him but the dominant pass rush potential is still there. Drop a little weight and he can become a heavy DE or a quick rushing smaller DT. Just for potential he's worth a look

Day 3 -

4th round:

Daniel McCullers NT - Tenn - 6-8 360

The only one to fall further than Sutton on the DL might be McCullers. He had a very disappointing year but you just can't teach his size. He learns how to better leverage his body and this kid can be scary. There is no way you are moving him off the line even if you want to.

Aundrey Walker G - USC - 6'6" 300

Walker was an average T when he switched to G. After the switch it suddenly clicked and he took off. With another year he could get into day 2 so the Pats could be wise to invest early and get in the ground floor if Walker declares.

Joe Dun Duncan TE - Dixie State - 6'3" 267

My first Div II sleeper has 3 names, how can you beat that? Well if that wasn't enough for you how about being invited to the senior bowl as a Div II TE? From what I've seen he is that good. A bit on the slower side he somehow managers to put up numbers comparable to WRs. He has great ability to box out defenders and somehow just finds open space. He is also a bulldozer once the ball is in his hands.

5th round:

Tyler Larsen C - Utah S - 6'4" 312

Larsen had a solid overall year and is a better run blocker than a pass blocker but he is someone Scar can work well with. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the east-west shrine game

Keith McGill CB - Utah - 6'3" 205

McGill missed all of 12' but rebounded well in 13'. He's a bit raw but has tremendous speed for his size with a knack to cover taller outside receivers. Needs to use his big body more often and be more agressive at the line (I fear his 12' injury made him tenative to hit) he has a lot of upside because of athletic ability. Whether he can put it all together is a question mark but that's why I have him pegged in the 5th.

Denicos Allen LB/S - Mich S - 5'11" 225

Everyone looking for the LB/S hybrid might want to check Allen out. He might not have great height but he's built like a truck and hits hard. He had a massive year in 11' with 11 sacks and good in pursuit. His numbers dropped off a little but he still averaged 5.5 sacks his final 2 years with dbl digit TFLs. He is good in pursuit with sub 4.5 speed and is smart enough to sniff out screens and flat passes. He's a person to keep an eye on as a possible late round S convert

6th Round

Gabe Ikard C/G - Ok - 6'3" 303

I liked Gabe last year and this year he hasn't done anything to change that this year. He held his own against Nix and did well in the bowl game too. He is a bit smaller but has potential to be a zone blocking C, similar to almost every Pats C before.

Caraun Reid DT - Princeton - 6'2" 305

Reid was impressive at Princeton. So impressive he earned a spot in the senior bowl. He's very slow for a DT but holds his own at the line and managers to squeeze through open spots. I'd like to see what he can do at the senior bowl but might make a Pyror type of player in the late rounds.

Chris Davis CB - Auburn - 5'11" 200

Davis is a sleeper CB with 4.4 flat speed. Good in coverage with 13 pass broken up, he is no ball hawk though. His main asset is his return ability scoring a 109yrd kickoff for a TD last year. Though he's have trouble breaking the line up over Ryan or Dennard if the feel Arrington's contract is to heavy after next year Davis is a guy who could step in as a slot CB while providing BB's favorite position for non starters STs ability as both a return man and a gunner

7th round:

Colt Lyerl.......... just kidding. I wouldn't touch Lyerla if Hernandez put a gun to my head. Ok maybe I would, esp if he says get in the car.

Kevin Pierre-Louis LB/S - BC - 6'1" 215

A local kid with 3 names that might convert to S in the 7th sign me up. Why not is what I say

Roderick McDowell RB - Clemson - 5'10" 200

McDowell pre injury looked like he could take over for Ellington. He has decent pass catching ability and should be a decent 3rd down back in the league. Might be a good backup for Vereen in the future

Macky MacPherson C - Syracuse - 6'2" 286

How could you not love a guy named Macky? He's a very solid blocker both in the pass gaming and run game and plays well above his size. Unfortunately he's so small playing above his size is still to small in the pro's. He's needs at least a couple years on the PS just to add size. But, he has raw potential to build off of with solid fundamentals. Add a couple years to develop size and work under Scar he could eventually become a starter within 4 years but he is a project for down the road.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just went through a few mocks out there and a few had the top 3 TEs gone by pick 25 a couple of mocks, all three in the top 20.  I don't see that happening but looking like he's not going to be there, not even close.  What you guys been talking in regards to Allen Robinson?  I have lots of catching up to do lol

[/QUOTE]

I believe Robinson is MB's current favorite WR. I like him too, but I am not sure I like the idea of taking a WR in the first. That's where Robinson will be picked, unless he blows in the combine. I think good receivers will be available in the third or fourth round.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agree . i like the idea of us grabbing this kid in the 6th or 7th rd... big body and goes up and gets it. a little raw but TB can fix that

[/QUOTE]

Enough dreaming. We can wake up now. Bryant has a 2nd round grade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Had decent on absolute terms but perhaps a season that was a tad below expectation. Did not really surpass his play last season. A little slow. Probably becasue heavier than he should have been. Perhaps disappointment is wide enough that he drops to NEP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm also not a big ASJ fan in Rd 1... not sure I want him at all to be honest, though at some point the value could be right... would prefer a Day 2 selection of CJ or Arthur Lynch etc.

I'm a huge Allen Robinson guy... love that he has (2) years in a Patriot-esque offense under B.O. and has been extremely productive in it.  Very good size/speed combo... not a burner, but tempo's his routes well and can seperate effectivetly... also has very good body control and run after the catch ability.