***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT THREAD***

Under the popular topic of "Welker Clone", fans should take a look at Wake Forest WR Michael Campanaro (5-10 190).  This kid has everything that BB values in a WR... good burst off the line, gets up to speed quickly (4.4/4.5 speed), very quick/sudden, tough/blue collar mentality, hands catcher... shows some versatility... he also has a solid, compact build despite his relative lack of size.  He'd fit in very well with what NE likes to do offensively and could be a nice Day 3 value.  If Julian ends up elsewhere, he could come in and compete for snaps with another "Welker Clone" TJ Moe.

Really liked watching this kid's tape.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

My predictions and hopes:

Before draft: Trade Mallett for a second round pick. Maybe with like Kenbrell and a 7th to add enough to get that done. Sign a Cassell, Hoyer, McGown, Orton or some other solid veteran backup to Brady, who has 4 more seasons in him. Keep Talib, Edelman and Blount. Only splash in free agency is C Alex Mack, borderline all-pro. Good riddance Wendell and Spikes.

Round 1 - If one of TE's Amaro and Ebron are  there grab one! I say they are both gone so Pats trade down to pick 36. Oakland is drafting right in front of Atlanta. Falcons would be a team that could take Seferian-Jenkins (to replace Gonzalez) if he gets to them. Oakland can take a crazy skill guy in round 1 and then take Tajh Boyd w/ our pick and avoid any of the early 2nd rd pick teams scooping him up. So say they give up picks in rd 2/3 for our picks in 1/6.

Round 2 (36) - TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins - Solid 1st option learn on the fly until Gronk comes off 6 week PUP. Then an awesome 2nd TE to replace what was lost with Hernandez.

Round 2 (somewhere in the middle for Mallett) - S Dion Bailey or Craig Loston - Both are big, fast SS ballhawk types that would complement McCourtey and move guys like Harmon and Gregory to the bench. One Wilso is probably done and the other stinks.

Round 2 (64) - DT/DE Dominique Easley - Trusting his florida connections BB gets a guy who will go on the 6 week PUP to start but could be the stud 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE who gets after the QB and takes the pressure off Jones this team is desperate for. Current LB crew needs to have lineman that are able to switch between both formations to take advantage of their talents and confuse offenses.

Round 3 (68) - ILB Yawin Smallwood (or Skhov if he is there) Pats add another tall/fast 'backer to replace Spikes snaps (but not role), b/c he new guy is a 3 down player, backs up all positions, or starts if team goes back to more 3-4.

Round 3 (96) - WR Jared Abbrederis - Tall enough at 6'2" and real smart (a must here). Can stretch the field a little and is super tough. Perfect Patriot. Him and Dobson on the outside/downfield, Boyce and Amendola on the outside/intermediate and Edelman and Amendola in the slot/middle of the field. Great crew. Slater on special teams and trade Thompkins while his stock is up (someone like Jarvis Landry of LSU works here as well).

Round 4 (in the 130's) - DT Daniel McCullers - A monster 6'8" 320 lb prospect who would have to have very little expected of him for 1-2 years but be groomed to eventually replace Vince.

Round 6 (from Eagles, like 215-225 range) - RB Andre Williams - It'd be cool if the local BC guy was around towards the end of day 3. He'd definitely have more upside than Bolden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

I like your play, rameakap, but what team in the middle of the round do you see looking for a QB. I honestly see the guys running the teams with the top five picks and the Vikes at #8 all being nervous that they have a QB they can win with.

And I am someone that is definately not sold on this years QB class. Bortles could be another Blaine Gabbbert, Teddy Bridgewater could have Terrell Pryor upside, Manziel could be another Matt Flynn (not enough arm strength) and Carr is just another guy.

If I'n coaching any of those five teams and I know I have 3-4 years tops to win, I'd much rather go for it with Mallett, who may have acquired some intangibles working with TB, than I would with a rookie flyer. I'd be beaten down the door for either Mallett or Cousins.

that said, have you guys checked the free agency lists. It's a doodly squat year. Nothing at QB. A couple of RB's I'd be interested in if Blount bogeys for big money (they could have signed him for short money extention at the start of the year but you gamble you lose some) in Gerhert or McFadden or possibly Donald Brown.

I like Eric Decker at wr but he is probably going to get big bucks. If Houston pulls Edleman away (a crying shame) then maybe a flyer with Bolden.

At TE we're not going after Jimmy Graham and nobody else interests me.

We're set at OT but Mack would be great at center and maybe Wharton or Schwartz at guard but that's about it.

On defense it is funny that both the top rated DT and the third rated DE both started out as Texas Longhorn running backs - Henry Melton and Lamarr Houston. I like em both being a Longhorn myself but Henry got hurt so I'd pass. Houston is a young Nink so I'd kick the tires. I'd also look at Arthur Jones to play along side his brother and I'd roll out the red carpet for any of the three Vikes - Jared Allen, Everson Griffen or Kevin Williams.

We might need a depth LB if Fletcher leaves. I hope he doesn't. Spikes I am happy to wave bye bye to.

The big one is of course Talib. We are hurtin big time if he leaves though I am very wary of giving him big bucks. But there is nothing out there except maybe Grimes. And the same is true at safety except for Byrd. We gotta keep Talib and get lucky in the draft at safety.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There are NO TE's after Graham... unfortunate, we HAVE to draft one.

Be nice if Dallas wanted to bring in Mallett as Romo insurance.

Boldin is a beast and a winner. I wanted him BAD years ago when Arizona was trading him and I believe the Pats had a better pick in that round then the Ravens and I said trade that for him for him asap!

Team would be ok with Amendola and Moe in the slot and giving the Edelman money to Boldin might make us harder to plan for and add toughness and a red zone threat to help with the Gronk issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

I don't know rameakap, Edelman has proven to be more than just another part for the Pats. The guy is a big-time player. I know many will bite my head off for this but I'd rather give him the big bucks than either Talib or Blount. I still see the latter two as to risky for anything more than a 2-year deal at medium money. Given how they were both sent packing out of Tampa Bay should have some effect on their offers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

We can quible about specifics but I agree about Mack and a very good TE prospect. I am not sure we will get Mack and so we need an alternative to upgrade C and/or RG.

There is another problem. I really do not think anyone will give a 2nd for Mallet (and Thompkins, who, by the way, I like). MAYBE a 3rd... maybe. 

I also like SPikes but I suspect he has played his last game here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not sure why anyone would be talking about a slot receiver. We have two who can do that and if we do not sign Julian we still have one. Plus the three complimentary rookie WRs should be improved from this year.

Regarding TEs, while I like the idea of the next "Hernandez" (player not killer), my preference would be for a potential all purpose TE who might be GOOD starting material once he masters the system. A guy who is at least a GOOD blocker and a good receiver. If he is going to be better at one than the other I would acually opt for the blocking to be his strength as I still expect Gronk to come back (again!). But in any case he should be solid in both areas as he may end up a regular starter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My predictions and hopes:

Before draft: Trade Mallett for a second round pick. Maybe with like Kenbrell and a 7th to add enough to get that done. Sign a Cassell, Hoyer, McGown, Orton or some other solid veteran backup to Brady, who has 4 more seasons in him. Keep Talib, Edelman and Blount. Only splash in free agency is C Alex Mack, borderline all-pro. Good riddance Wendell and Spikes.

Round 1 - If one of TE's Amaro and Ebron are  there grab one! I say they are both gone so Pats trade down to pick 36. Oakland is drafting right in front of Atlanta. Falcons would be a team that could take Seferian-Jenkins (to replace Gonzalez) if he gets to them. Oakland can take a crazy skill guy in round 1 and then take Tajh Boyd w/ our pick and avoid any of the early 2nd rd pick teams scooping him up. So say they give up picks in rd 2/3 for our picks in 1/6.

Round 2 (36) - TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins - Solid 1st option learn on the fly until Gronk comes off 6 week PUP. Then an awesome 2nd TE to replace what was lost with Hernandez.

Round 2 (somewhere in the middle for Mallett) - S Dion Bailey or Craig Loston - Both are big, fast SS ballhawk types that would complement McCourtey and move guys like Harmon and Gregory to the bench. One Wilso is probably done and the other stinks.

Round 2 (64) - DT/DE Dominique Easley - Trusting his florida connections BB gets a guy who will go on the 6 week PUP to start but could be the stud 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE who gets after the QB and takes the pressure off Jones this team is desperate for. Current LB crew needs to have lineman that are able to switch between both formations to take advantage of their talents and confuse offenses.

Round 3 (68) - ILB Yawin Smallwood (or Skhov if he is there) Pats add another tall/fast 'backer to replace Spikes snaps (but not role), b/c he new guy is a 3 down player, backs up all positions, or starts if team goes back to more 3-4.

Round 3 (96) - WR Jared Abbrederis - Tall enough at 6'2" and real smart (a must here). Can stretch the field a little and is super tough. Perfect Patriot. Him and Dobson on the outside/downfield, Boyce and Amendola on the outside/intermediate and Edelman and Amendola in the slot/middle of the field. Great crew. Slater on special teams and trade Thompkins while his stock is up (someone like Jarvis Landry of LSU works here as well).

Round 4 (in the 130's) - DT Daniel McCullers - A monster 6'8" 320 lb prospect who would have to have very little expected of him for 1-2 years but be groomed to eventually replace Vince.

Round 6 (from Eagles, like 215-225 range) - RB Andre Williams - It'd be cool if the local BC guy was around towards the end of day 3. He'd definitely have more upside than Bolden.

[/QUOTE]

I prefer Troy Niklas to AS-J, just don't like the kid's effort on the field, looks like he's just going through the motions.  I also think you could see them target a TE in FA... Buffalo's Scott Chandler comes to mind... or maybe a Dennis Pitta or Garrett Graham or Jeff Cumberland, etc.

As for your mock, I think that nets some solid players... Easley is very undersized for the 5-tech, but is very well suited for the 3... Smallwood and Abbrederis present great value in Rd 3 and McCullers could be a solid upside play in Rd 4.  I don't think Andre Williams gets out of Rd 4, but if he's there in Rd 6, he's a no-brainer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Vereen was a non factor vs Indy. If he continues the trend, 3rd down RB is a strong possibility. Vereen has been with the team for 3 full years and all he's shown has been that he's injury prone, drops passes, and has had some great teaser games (week 1 @ Buffalo). As BB says you know what kind of player you have after 3 seasons.

Might not make the team in '14.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

Vereen was a non factor vs Indy. If he continues the trend, 3rd down RB is a strong possibility. Vereen has been with the team for 3 full years and all he's shown has been that he's injury prone, drops passes, and has had some great teaser games (week 1 @ Buffalo). As BB says you know what kind of player you have after 3 seasons.

I wonder if the wrist/hand cast is a factor in his dropped passes, as they generally seem to be over the shoulder type catches which require his wrists/palms to be up, but the criticism is fair.

One player that I'm really high on is FSU RB Devonte Freeman (5-8 203)... kid is extremely physical for his size, runs with a purpose and can catch the football (47 receptions in  his career)... solid Day 2 option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if the wrist/hand cast is a factor in his dropped passes, as they generally seem to be over the shoulder type catches which require his wrists/palms to be up, but the criticism is fair.

One player that I'm really high on is FSU RB Devonte Freeman (5-8 203)... kid is extremely physical for his size, runs with a purpose and can catch the football (47 receptions in  his career)... solid Day 2 option.

[/QUOTE] You are correct where Vereen status is in question, the Patriots after losing Cierre Wood to the Ravens the Patriots immediately signed Jonas Gray to a futures contract and they already have Quentin Hines sitting on IR and Hines may not be a known commodity but he's a 4.3  40 guy. Gray is a former teammate of Wood at Notre Dame and he to is a 3rd down type back at 5'9 and 230 he is stout. You never know who BB will draft or try and sign during the off season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] You are correct where Vereen status is in question, the Patriots after losing Cierre Wood to the Ravens the Patriots immediately signed Jonas Gray to a futures contract and they already have Quentin Hines sitting on IR and Hines may not be a known commodity but he's a 4.3  40 guy. Gray is a former teammate of Wood at Notre Dame and he to is a 3rd down type back at 5'9 and 230 he is stout. You never know who BB will draft or try and sign during the off season.

[/QUOTE]

Gray is an intriguing cat, built like a tank, particularly in the lower half... good power/speed combo but blew out his knee at the end of the 2011 season (year he was draft eligible) and he hasn't been the same player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

MB,thanks for info--I am a little surprised he picked up 94 yDs but the kid has been doing it all year; that's actually strong running against that team.  I could see him going middle rounds.  I also think Skov is a player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

MB...do you have any thoughts on these small school guys...

WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley

DE Larry Webster   Bloomsburg

TE  A.C. Leonard  Tenn State

OG Dakota Dozier  Furman

thanks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OG Dakota Dozier  Furman

thanks

[/QUOTE]

Haven't had a chance to research many small school kids yet, hope to get to it at some point. Janis and Leonard are names that I've familiar with, but haven't been able to check out any tape.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to minnypat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OG Dakota Dozier  Furman

thanks

[/QUOTE]

They won't be taken in the first round?

Just being s smart@$$ 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Vet Pats’ backup on the market … While the attention of team’s with early picks and QB needs appears to be on this year’s draft class, there have been passing rumblings that more than one such team may be willing to kick the tires on New England back-up QB Ryan Mallett as a fallback option. In fact, Houston is one team that has factored into that buzz, in part, because new Texans’ had coach Bill O’Brien was offensive co-ordinator and QB-coach with New England during Mallett’s rookie season in 2011. Another team that has been associated with Mallett is Cleveland which has the 4th pick.

www.gbnreport.com

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vet Pats’ backup on the market … While the attention of team’s with early picks and QB needs appears to be on this year’s draft class, there have been passing rumblings that more than one such team may be willing to kick the tires on New England back-up QB Ryan Mallett as a fallback option. In fact, Houston is one team that has factored into that buzz, in part, because new Texans’ had coach Bill O’Brien was offensive co-ordinator and QB-coach with New England during Mallett’s rookie season in 2011. Another team that has been associated with Mallett is Cleveland which has the 4th pick.

www.gbnreport.com

[/QUOTE]

so would you give up our 1st, mallett, and a 2nd for the 4th overall pick? maybe get clowney?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watched DaQuan Jones' tape vs. Michigan and he looked like a 1st round caliber talent in that game.  He was quick/exposive off the snap and appeared virtually unblockable for most of the game... when he wasn't splitting a double, he was swatting his guy aside or caving in the offensive front... bottom line is he was wreaking havoc in the backfield most of the day.

I really hope this kid ends up in Foxboro.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

www.gbnreport.com

[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed that they can land a Day 2 pick for Mallet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

www.gbnreport.com

[/QUOTE]

so would you give up our 1st, mallett, and a 2nd for the 4th overall pick? maybe get clowney?

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna lie, Clowney scares the schyt out've me if I'm a personnel guy... all the talent in the world, could be the best player in the NFL... but his inconsistent effort provides a huge cause for concern.  I think some of it had to due with him seeing Lattimore's draft status get ruined by a horrific knee injury... at the same time, there are plenty of elite kids that never take a play off... and I think you're programmed to either go hard on every snap, or you're not.  I think Clowney falls into the latter category.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

I agree 100%. Clowney has had a sense of entitlement ever since being #1 ranked recruit coming out of high school. He's not BB's kind of player. BB likes the guys with a chip on their shoulder, not a Rolls Royce in the parking lot. If Pats had a top ten or five pick the kid to look at would be Anthony Barr - level headed kid with great work ethic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Vereen had only one really good run in his few touches but it was important. There were two third down plays that Vereen could have made if not for Brady on one and what I expect was hlolding on the other. Those two plays would have added to his importance in the course of the game.

But more to the point I want to make... the last few posts I ahve read by you have been essentially mindless. Take a vacation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You don't want to risk a lot on someone who has serious questions. Clowney might be truly great but perhaps it is better to get another great player who is more stable. The things we need the most are:

(assuming we resign Talib)

1. C or RG

2. stud DT/NT

3. TE as (a) alternative starter to Gronk and (b) 2nd TE off the bench

4. RG or C

I think I would rather get two of the above than one Clowney.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

www.gbnreport.com

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I would take Houston's 2nd rd pick for Mallet and run like hell.  If they really want him they need to pay. If they offered multiple picks and something next year maybe. (Depending on the picks)  However, just like last year when there were rumors in Cleveland that is all this is a rumor.

I don't want Clowney.